The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Looking at the Welsh Squad for this years Six Nations

+37
Seagultaf
Rugby Fan
samuraidragon
glamorganalun
BamBam
George Carlin
gregortree
nathan
rainbow-warrior
mckay1402
aucklandlaurie
offload
Comfort
BigTrevsbigmac
Coleman
propdavid_london
chris_501
Knowsit17
GavinDragon
BlueNote
Luckless Pedestrian
Welly
Cardiff Dave
lostinwales
Jhamer25
LordDowlais
Liam
HammerofThunor
wales606
Taylorman
Gwlad
The Saint
majesticimperialman
wayne
bedfordwelsh
ScarletSpiderman
maestegmafia
41 posters

Page 11 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

Go down

Looking at the Welsh Squad for this years Six Nations - Page 11 Empty Looking at the Welsh Squad for this years Six Nations

Post by maestegmafia Mon 05 Jan 2015, 12:18 pm

First topic message reminder :

the Wales team to face England

1. Jenkins
2. Hibbard
3. Lee
4. Jones
5. Ball
6. Lydiate
7. Warburton
8. Faletau
9. Webb
10. Biggar
11. North
12. Roberts
13. JD2
14. Cuthbert
15. Halfpenny

16. Baldwin
17. James
18. Jarvis
19. Charteris
20. Tipuric
21. Phillips
22. Preistland
23. Williams

WALES 2015 SIX NATIONS SQUAD:

Forwards:
Looseheads
Gethin Jenkins (Cardiff Blues), Paul James (Bath), Rob Evans (Scarlets)

Tightheads
Aaron Jarvis (Ospreys), Samson Lee (Scarlets), Scott Andrews (Cardiff Blues)

Hookers
Richard Hibbard (Gloucester), Kristian Dacey (Cardiff Blues), Scott Baldwin (Ospreys)

Locks
Alun Wyn Jones (Ospreys), Jake Ball (Scarlets), Bradley Davies (Wasps), Luke Charteris (Racing Metro)

Blindsides
Dan Lydiate (Ospreys), James King (Ospreys)

Opensides
Sam Warburton (Cardiff Blues, capt), Justin Tipuric (Ospreys)

Number 8
Taulupe Faletau (Newport Gwent Dragons)

Backs:

Scrumhalves
Mike Phillips (Racing Metro), Rhys Webb (Ospreys), Gareth Davies (Scarlets),

Fly halves
Dan Biggar (Ospreys), Rhys Priestland (Scarlets), Gareth Anscombe (Cardiff Blues)

Centres
Cory Allen (Cardiff Blues), Jamie Roberts (Racing Metro), Jonathan Davies (Clermont Auvergne), Scott Williams (Scarlets), Tyler Morgan (Newport Gwent Dragons)

Wings
Hallam Amos (Newport Gwent Dragons), Alex Cuthbert (Cardiff Blues), George North (Northampton Saints),

Fullbacks
Liam Williams (Scarlets), Leigh Halfpenny (Toulon)

Last edited by maestegmafia on Mon 02 Feb 2015, 1:02 pm; edited 3 times in total

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Looking at the Welsh Squad for this years Six Nations - Page 11 Empty Re: Looking at the Welsh Squad for this years Six Nations

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue 27 Jan 2015, 12:30 pm

But to get even to the Regional standard players have to have a basic skill set, players at this level should know how to throw/take a pass. How to execute a 2 on 1 3 on 2 etc etc. That to me is basic skill set.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Looking at the Welsh Squad for this years Six Nations - Page 11 Empty Re: Looking at the Welsh Squad for this years Six Nations

Post by GavinDragon Tue 27 Jan 2015, 12:37 pm

Griff wrote:Remember also that the player's skill levels are at the level that they compete at day in day out (i.e. the league).  We know that the regions play at a lower skill level than international rugby.  Everything is done at a slower pace.  As soon as you play international rugby and try to increase the speed of skill execution from that which you are used to (at club level) you get problems with skill execution - more knock ons, people over running the ball carrier/passer, balls passed not in the bread basket, etc.  They need to up the pace of skills as the opposition at international level tends to be faster at everything too - defensive line, jackal, their lines of running, etc. And I think this is why we struggle against the SH - we suddenly have to up the tempo of our skill execution from what we're used to and it often goes belly up.  So I can see why Gatland feels the need to use a few live games to 'develop skills' - or rather, develop the skills they already have to be able to cope with a greater tempo.  Perhaps other nations with good club sides who are already playing the club game at greater pace and skill level have less work to do come international time - just think NZ franchises.

Anyway, just a hunch!  I could be wrong.

spot on

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 27 Jan 2015, 6:27 pm

The Guardian are saying that Samson Lee is recovered enough to train this week at the Vale camp...

Very good news.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue 27 Jan 2015, 8:13 pm

Who would have thought that given how experienced our squad is a relative rookie like Lee would become so vital to how our 6 Nations may go.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Tue 27 Jan 2015, 8:19 pm

bedfordwelsh wrote:Who would have thought that given how experienced our squad is a relative rookie like Lee would become so vital to how our 6 Nations may go.

Adam Jones perhaps

Its a massive gamble but one can only assume they think Lee will be fully fit by next week. No strength in depth here now but again with a diminished scrum contest perhaps the solution is to bring on new blood.

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 27 Jan 2015, 8:26 pm

bedfordwelsh wrote:But to get even to the Regional standard players have to have a basic skill set, players at this level should know how to throw/take a pass. How to execute a 2 on 1 3 on 2 etc etc.  That to me is basic skill set.

And I think the players have got this. Just look how awesome the Dragons look against Bucharesti! When the opposition is poor and we're able to play at our comfortable pace and skill level then everything clicks. Poorer teams are generally poorer as their players are, on the whole, slower so slower pushing up in the defensive line, are less regimented in defense, less strong in the tackle, etc. so more time and easier for us to get the skill execution right. It's when we play the better teams and have to up the tempo in order to out play the opposition that we're not able to do it and mistakes creep in. If you took the dragons down to Caerleon RFC then I'm pretty sure they would be able to throw perfect passes, create 2 on 1s as the skill level gap would be so great! They'd have more time on the ball, more time for decision making, etc. The skills are there. They wouldn't have been spotted and signed if they didn't have them at some point!

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue 27 Jan 2015, 8:55 pm

I agree about emphasis being put on set piece but skills I just think should be a given at this level no matter who your up against. Is it maybe because when our plan A was working very well a few seasons or back it didnt need much skill more just bosh bosh bosh that they have lost some of the skills.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 28 Jan 2015, 12:43 am

Beds,

As you step up a level so the skills have to as well. Not only are they playing against better players but they are playing with better players and different players.

Webb and Biggar are the only likely club combination we will be using. Roberts and Davies/Williams need to familiarise each other as do the centres with their back three and the halfbacks. Same goes for all other areas.

The players personal skill levels don't change much. Hopefully they improve by playing with more quality than they do week in week out. But who and how they interact and communicate with as a team does alter.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Wed 28 Jan 2015, 5:26 am

Griff wrote:Remember also that the player's skill levels are at the level that they compete at day in day out (i.e. the league).  We know that the regions play at a lower skill level than international rugby.  Everything is done at a slower pace.  As soon as you play international rugby and try to increase the speed of skill execution from that which you are used to (at club level) you get problems with skill execution - more knock ons, people over running the ball carrier/passer, balls passed not in the bread basket, etc.  They need to up the pace of skills as the opposition at international level tends to be faster at everything too - defensive line, jackal, their lines of running, etc. And I think this is why we struggle against the SH - we suddenly have to up the tempo of our skill execution from what we're used to and it often goes belly up.  So I can see why Gatland feels the need to use a few live games to 'develop skills' - or rather, develop the skills they already have to be able to cope with a greater tempo.  Perhaps other nations with good club sides who are already playing the club game at greater pace and skill level have less work to do come international time - just think NZ franchises.

I don't follow. If we struggle with skill execution at Test level, shouldn't there be more focus on it in training, rather than none at all?

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Wed 28 Jan 2015, 9:22 am

maestegmafia wrote:Beds,

As you step up a level so the skills have to as well. Not only are they playing against better players but they are playing with better players and different players.

Webb and Biggar are the only likely club combination we will be using. Roberts and Davies/Williams need to familiarise each other as do the centres with their back three and the halfbacks. Same goes for all other areas.

The players personal skill levels don't change much. Hopefully they improve by playing with more quality than they do week in week out. But who and how they interact and communicate with as a team does alter.

But this team has been together in the main since the last WC and they all play with or alongside top class players at their respective clubs, I just think the skills should be a gimme.

Yes practice but emphasize on other 'weaker' areas
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Comfort Wed 28 Jan 2015, 3:52 pm

The point of doing the fitness training is so that the guys can play at a higher tempo for longer. If you're tiring then your skills are going to suffer as a result.

I cant remember the stat exactly, but it was the difference in sprints per game (or metres covered per minute) in super rugby compared to NH club rugby, and then compared to internationals. Basically though the stat said that the super rgby teams were only just off the results of international measurements whilst NH rugby was quite a way behind.

So the step up in fitness Gatland requires, I believe is measured by that, not to mention the physicality and mental drain.

Who's more likely to complete a flat long pass at full speed in the 75th minute of an international:

player A who's worked on their fitness beforehand and has a general high skill level anyway (as we assume as these guys play professionally)

or

player B, who's spent their time working on their skills beforehand, having a generally high fitness level (as we assume as these guys play professionally)

Comfort

Back to top Go down

Post by Jhamer25 Wed 28 Jan 2015, 4:49 pm

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/ospreys-wales-under-20s-prop-nicky-8533296

Best thing for him at the moment. Hopefully Gloucester can help him further his development. There are some great you props in the Aviva premiership at the moment and he deserves more game time than he has been getting. Do us a favor Gloucester.

Jhamer25

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 28 Jan 2015, 7:06 pm

Comfort wrote:

The point of doing the fitness training is so that the guys can play at a higher tempo for longer. If you're tiring then your skills are going to suffer as a result.

I cant remember the stat exactly, but it was the difference in sprints per game (or metres covered per minute) in super rugby compared to NH club rugby, and then compared to internationals. Basically though the stat said that the super rgby teams were only just off the results of international measurements whilst NH rugby was quite a way behind.

So the step up in fitness Gatland requires, I believe is measured by that, not to mention the physicality and mental drain.

Who's more likely to complete a flat long pass at full speed in the 75th minute of an international:

player A who's worked on their fitness beforehand and has a general high skill level anyway (as we assume as these guys play professionally)

or

player B, who's spent their time working on their skills beforehand, having a generally high fitness level (as we assume as these guys play professionally)

Some good points there Comfort...

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Wed 28 Jan 2015, 8:22 pm

Comfort wrote:Who's more likely to complete a flat long pass at full speed in the 75th minute of an international:

or

I fail to see how extra fitness work magically improves skills, to the point where you don't even need to practise.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 28 Jan 2015, 8:30 pm

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:
Comfort wrote:Who's more likely to complete a flat long pass at full speed in the 75th minute of an international:

or

I fail to see how extra fitness work magically improves skills, to the point where you don't even need to practise.

What he's saying is the players already have the skills, but they need to be able to perform them under fatigue, and the only way to do that is to improve fitness. Thats not to say they don't do any skill work, but it takes a back seat in terms of preparing physically for test rugby.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 28 Jan 2015, 8:34 pm

I don't follow. If we struggle with skill execution at Test level, shouldn't there be more focus on it in training, rather than none at all?

Yes there should. I was arguing with Bedford who said our players don't seem to have the skills. I say we've got them but we're used to executing them at the pace of the Pro 12. When asked to execute them at the faster pace of international rugby, that's when we get the errors. So that's shy Gats needs the first few games to get the skills up to international level execution pace (his words, paraphrased). He feels he needs to do some remedial work and cannot hit the ground running. I think that's why we're traditionally a bit slow off the mark in the autumn, summer tours and AIs.

So yes there should be more skills training, but it's difficult to mimic international level pace of skill execution in training (another hunch). So Gats uses those first few games to do it. I think it's a bit of a dig by him at the training, conditioning and level of play by the regions in the league.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 28 Jan 2015, 8:39 pm

IronMike wrote:

or

What he's saying is the players already have the skills, but they need to be able to perform them under fatigue, and the only way to do that is to improve fitness. Thats not to say they don't do any skill work, but it takes a back seat in terms of preparing physically for test rugby.

I agree with this. Fatigue plays a massive part in the ability to concentrate, deal with multiple stimuli, decision making, accuracy, etc. So improved fitness perhaps means being able to do all this better and for longer than the opposition. However, a gameplan that doesn't knacker us out so early would be nice too (defend like mad men with big hits, etch for 80 mins)! And of course it should never be instead of training, just as well as.

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Wed 28 Jan 2015, 8:42 pm

IronMike wrote:

or

That's like saying a relay team should concentrate on their speed training and the rest will take care of itself. Speed is useless if you don't the baton round. Fitness and skill are precisely equal in importance.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 28 Jan 2015, 8:48 pm

IronMike wrote:

or

That's like saying a relay team should concentrate on their speed training and the rest will take care of itself. Speed is useless if you don't the baton round. Fitness and skill are precisely equal in importance.

They have a negative linear relationship in a game!

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Wed 28 Jan 2015, 8:50 pm

In layman's terms?

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 28 Jan 2015, 8:59 pm

As in, when plotted on a graph: when fatigue is low then skill levels and execution are high but as fatigue increases skill levels decrease. They're related. Not sure if it's actually linear/uniform but certainly related. So you definitely need the skills in the first place, but also the fitness levels to be able to maintain skill execution for as long as possible in the game. I'm agreeing with you both I guess!

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu 29 Jan 2015, 7:31 am

I see the point about improved fitness leading to a better ability to execute skills as the game wears on, but I don't agree with the idea of focussing on fitness work at the expense of skills work. Otherwise you have ridiculously fit players who'll still butcher an overlap. Yes, they should have these fundamental skills already, but how many times have we seen the dreaded miss pass snuff out a possible try?

Anyway, back to the topic: do we know when the match squad is announced?

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Thu 29 Jan 2015, 8:25 am

I read somewhere it was Tuesday lunchtime which is normally about right,there not much news coming out of camp yet with regards injuries.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Thu 29 Jan 2015, 8:36 am

LP dont think there will be many surprises do you?

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Thu 29 Jan 2015, 8:43 am

I doubt there will be any at all but if there is it will be Liam Williams in at expense of Cuthbert though given the relevant form of both it won't be that big a surprise.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 29 Jan 2015, 8:44 am

I can't imagine so...

If Anscombe is on the bench that will create a talking point but I inagine a pretty settled selection.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Thu 29 Jan 2015, 8:45 am

kind of unusual and boring to not have much to debate ahead of the opening game,

will there be complacency among the players?

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 29 Jan 2015, 8:45 am

bedfordwelsh wrote:I doubt there will be any at all but if there is it will be Liam Williams in at expense of Cuthbert though given the relevant form of both it won't be that big a surprise.

The back three headline hitter...

Yes if there is a juggle that might be it... Maybe JD2 over Scott Williams would be a call that might upset a few... Williams has been in very good form.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 29 Jan 2015, 8:47 am

GavinDragon wrote:

will there be complacency among the players?

Because of the consistency in selection?

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Thu 29 Jan 2015, 8:51 am

maestegmafia wrote:
bedfordwelsh wrote:I doubt there will be any at all but if there is it will be Liam Williams in at expense of Cuthbert though given the relevant form of both it won't be that big a surprise.

Yes if there is a juggle that might be it... Maybe JD2 over Scott Williams would be a call that might upset a few... Williams has been in very good form.

Maes,

Sc Williams over JD would raise more eyebrows I think but again given Sc Williams' form it wouldn't be a huge shock. Bench will be interesting given no A Jones, plus as you said Priestland or Anscombe and also remember he picked King over Tipuric for the SA game on the bench.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 29 Jan 2015, 8:53 am

bedfordwelsh wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:

Maes,

Sc Williams over JD would raise more eyebrows I think but again given Sc Williams' form it wouldn't be a huge shock.  Bench will be interesting given no A Jones, plus as you said Priestland or Anscombe and also remember he picked King over Tipuric for the SA game on the bench.

Tipuric wasn't playing well. He is in much better form now..

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Thu 29 Jan 2015, 8:57 am

Agree but I don't really see what King adds to the squad and would have Tipuric over him anyday, it wouldn't have been first time Gatland has picked players who aren't playing well and he does like to throw the odd curve ball now and again.

As we all mentioned though don't think there will be many changes the usual crowd, maybe again as you mentioned other day Charteris over Ball possibly.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by chris_501 Thu 29 Jan 2015, 9:04 am

I think he'll go with Anscombe and a centre on the bench. Use the fact that Anscombe has played so much rugby at 15 as a bonus.

chris_501

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Thu 29 Jan 2015, 9:09 am

chris_501 wrote:I think he'll go with Anscombe and a centre on the bench. Use the fact that Anscombe has played so much rugby at 15 as a bonus.

My personal opinion is I hope he doesn't and with Priestland showing some decent form of late I think he will get nod. The other back will be interesting as both Liam and Scott Williams have been in great form, that is if Liam doesn't start.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 29 Jan 2015, 9:12 am

bedfordwelsh wrote:
chris_501 wrote:I think he'll go with Anscombe and a centre on the bench. Use the fact that Anscombe has played so much rugby at 15 as a bonus.

My personal opinion is I hope he doesn't and with Priestland showing some decent form of late I think he will get nod.  The other back will be interesting as both Liam and Scott Williams have been in great form, that is if Liam doesn't start.

You dislike Anscombe so much that you hope he doesn't play for Wales?

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Thu 29 Jan 2015, 9:36 am

maestegmafia wrote:
bedfordwelsh wrote:

My personal opinion is I hope he doesn't and with Priestland showing some decent form of late I think he will get nod.  The other back will be interesting as both Liam and Scott Williams have been in great form, that is if Liam doesn't start.

You dislike Anscombe so much that you hope he doesn't play for Wales?

Where in any of my threads have I said I dislike him I just don't see what all the fuss has been about and why he has been rushed in on the back of nothing special for the Blues. Is me hoping he doesn't start on the bench any different to people hoping Priestland won't be involved?

To me it was guaranteed that as soon as he signed for the Blues he would be in the Welsh set up and I don't agree with how it has been done and it smacks of the old Henry era with Luscombe, Marinos and Jones Hughes etc etc but that's my opinion.

If he takes the field then like in the past with other selections I haven't agreed with he will get my 100% support as all Welsh teams do and I certainly won't or never will boo him or any other Welsh player like some did with Priestland.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 29 Jan 2015, 10:23 am

Give the guy a chance Beds...

As you said above you had written him off before he had played a match at the Arms Park

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Comfort Thu 29 Jan 2015, 10:55 am

I'd go with

1. Jenkins
2. Hibbard
3. Lee
4. AW Jones
5. Ball
6. Lydiate
7. Warburton
8. Faleatu
9. Webb
10. Biggar
11. North
12. Roberts
13. Scott Williams
14. Halfpenny
15. Liam Williams

16. Rob Evans
17. Dacey
18. Jarvis
19. Charteris
20. Tipuric
21. Phillips
22. Anscombe
23. JD2

I like the thought of bringing on those mobile/smart forwards towards the end of the game. Phillips is a good bench player and Anscombe brings something unknown (as opposed to Priestland, we know what he can do......). JD2/Williams is a call that could go either way imo. Same with having the flanks as Lyds/Warbs or Warbs/Tips with the non-starter on the bench.

I'd take North over Cuthbert right now but Liam Williams has to start if fit, even if on the wing. I'm not too bothered what they're numbered, I'd ask Halfpenny/Williams to play in tandem and read the game between them.

Comfort

Back to top Go down

Post by Jhamer25 Thu 29 Jan 2015, 11:46 am

Comfort wrote:I'd go with

1. Jenkins
2. Hibbard
3. Lee
4. AW Jones
5. Ball
6. Lydiate
7. Warburton
8. Faleatu
9. Webb
10. Biggar
11. North
12. Roberts
13. Scott Williams
14. Halfpenny
15. Liam Williams

16. Rob Evans
17. Dacey
18. Jarvis
19. Charteris
20. Tipuric
21. Phillips
22. Anscombe
23. JD2

I like the thought of bringing on those mobile/smart forwards towards the end of the game. Phillips is a good bench player and Anscombe brings something unknown (as opposed to Priestland, we know what he can do......). JD2/Williams is a call that could go either way imo. Same with having the flanks as Lyds/Warbs or Warbs/Tips with the non-starter on the bench.

I'd take North over Cuthbert right now but Liam Williams has to start if fit, even if on the wing. I'm not too bothered what they're numbered, I'd ask Halfpenny/Williams to play in tandem and read the game between them.

Good team and good points. Would make one change and that's Paul James for Jarvis; yes he's a loosehead but he's more experienced and could probably do a better job than Jarvis has been doing of late. No doubt Gatland will go for Jarvis though.
I think this is the best our team has been in years for injuries. Thank God

Jhamer25

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Thu 29 Jan 2015, 11:54 am

maestegmafia wrote:Give the guy a chance Beds...

As you said above you had written him off before he had played a match at the Arms Park

I am willing to give him a chance and a season in the Blues to prove don't be rushed in after what 10 games. If he proves me wrong I will be first to come on here and admit it but my opinion still stands he's been rushed in on the back of nothing special and it seemed pre determined it would always happen.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 29 Jan 2015, 12:45 pm

bedfordwelsh wrote:

I am willing to give him a chance and a season in the Blues to prove don't be rushed in after what 10 games.  If he proves me wrong I will be first to come on here and admit it but my opinion still stands he's been rushed in on the back of nothing special and it seemed pre determined it would always happen.

He is not being rushed in on nothing. He has played a hell of a lot of Super 15 rugby and looked very good when he did.

I think he has shown good signs at the blues of being a threatening player in attack. I think he will do well, I can see why the coaches have given him a chance...

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Thu 29 Jan 2015, 12:57 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
bedfordwelsh wrote:

I am willing to give him a chance and a season in the Blues to prove don't be rushed in after what 10 games.  If he proves me wrong I will be first to come on here and admit it but my opinion still stands he's been rushed in on the back of nothing special and it seemed pre determined it would always happen.

He is not being rushed in on nothing. He has played a hell of a lot of Super 15 rugby and looked very good when he did.

I think he has shown good signs at the blues of being a threatening player in attack. I think he will do well, I can see why the coaches have given him a chance...

That depends on what reports you read some on here say he nothing more than average and can't believe all the hype being made over him, if he does well Maes then like I said I will be first to admit I was wrong but from what I have seen I would have left him develop at the Blues.

If he does get a g=run then it will be interesting to see not only what he does on the field but also the added pressure his inclusion will bring
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 29 Jan 2015, 1:01 pm

Thing is, I'd say hes about equal to Priestland at the moment, except the Welsh coaching staff know what Priestland is all about, what his strengths are and how frail he is in test rugby, where as Anscombe is a bit of an unknown.

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Thu 29 Jan 2015, 1:12 pm

IM,

That's fair enough but is WC year the time to do it. We know Priestland is moving to Bath after the WC so won't unless Gatland uses the exceptional circumstance clause be available.

By that time Anscombe would have had nearly a full season to settle in and show what he can do at the Blues without any added pressure.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Thu 29 Jan 2015, 2:57 pm

Guys, for me we need to start looking past Preistland now, I think he might have nailed himself into his own coffin by choosing to go to Bath. How old is he now ? 28yrs of age going on to 29 ? I know he is still young in the real terms, but when you consider Biggar who is 25, and Anscome who is 23yrs old, these two players will be taking us to the 2019 world cup as well. Preistland has been a very good servant to Welsh rugby and the Scarlets in particular, fair play to him if he wants a big pay day from Bath, but he is not going to be no. 1 at Bath, and we need players who are playing most weekends to be playing for Wales, when Preistland is on form, he is very good, the trouble is when he is not on form which has been more often than not as of late, he can be a liability. So for me, it should be Biggar and Anscome all the way, unless somebody else playing in Wales sticks their hand up.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Thu 29 Jan 2015, 4:42 pm

With regards to Anscombe, he is being given his crack of the whip as per the tacit agreement he made with Wales when he left Super 15 and emigrated to Wales to play rugby before an RWC….read between the lines here, bar announcing he was Shane Howarth's love child he was ALWAYS going to get his shot now. He has slotted well into the blues and although he may not have set the house on fire yet he is functioning well and easily takes up the spot Hook leaves behind. Priestland is insurance for the Biggar, simple as that. If Biggar gets crocked in steps Priestalnd but the long term view is clearly for Anscombe to take that role

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Thu 29 Jan 2015, 4:52 pm

Well put Gwlad.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Thu 29 Jan 2015, 5:33 pm

Gwlad wrote:With regards to Anscombe, he is being given his crack of the whip as per the tacit agreement he made with Wales when he left Super 15 and emigrated to Wales to play rugby before an RWC….read between the lines here, bar announcing he was Shane Howarth's love child he was ALWAYS going to get his shot now. He has slotted well into the blues and although he may not have set the house on fire yet he is functioning well and easily takes up the spot Hook leaves behind. Priestland is insurance for the Biggar, simple as that. If Biggar gets crocked in steps Priestalnd but the long term view is clearly for Anscombe to take that role

Which backs my case up of he was always going to get selected.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 29 Jan 2015, 8:19 pm

bedfordwelsh wrote:
Gwlad wrote:With regards to Anscombe, he is being given his crack of the whip as per the tacit agreement he made with Wales when he left Super 15 and emigrated to Wales to play rugby before an RWC….read between the lines here, bar announcing he was Shane Howarth's love child he was ALWAYS going to get his shot now. He has slotted well into the blues and although he may not have set the house on fire yet he is functioning well and easily takes up the spot Hook leaves behind. Priestland is insurance for the Biggar, simple as that. If Biggar gets crocked in steps Priestalnd but the long term view is clearly for Anscombe to take that role

That's a matter of opinion, not a fact... It backs nothing up.

If Anscombe had turned out to be a Sam Norton-Knoght type signing then there is no chance he would have been considered, but he hasn't, he has been good, very good at times. Not the perfect player yet but he is young and looks exciting in attack.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Thu 29 Jan 2015, 10:29 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
bedfordwelsh wrote:

That's a matter of opinion, not a fact... It backs nothing up.

If Anscombe had turned out to be a Sam Norton-Knoght type signing then there is no chance he would have been considered, but he hasn't, he has been good, very good at times. Not the perfect player yet but he is young and looks exciting in attack.

Anscombe isn't Burgess, he didn't get dropped on earth last autumn and had to learn the game, most of his 'selection' was done in S15….do you think the guy would come here without some commitments? Would you? I know I wouldn't. IMO he was likely told, stay fit, be consistent at 10 and learn the NH game and you will get a pop at the 6 Nations.

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next