The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Looking at the Welsh Squad for this years Six Nations

+37
Seagultaf
Rugby Fan
samuraidragon
glamorganalun
BamBam
George Carlin
gregortree
nathan
rainbow-warrior
mckay1402
aucklandlaurie
offload
Comfort
BigTrevsbigmac
Coleman
propdavid_london
chris_501
Knowsit17
GavinDragon
BlueNote
Luckless Pedestrian
Welly
Cardiff Dave
lostinwales
Jhamer25
LordDowlais
Liam
HammerofThunor
wales606
Taylorman
Gwlad
The Saint
majesticimperialman
wayne
bedfordwelsh
ScarletSpiderman
maestegmafia
41 posters

Page 1 of 13 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Go down

Looking at the Welsh Squad for this years Six Nations Empty Looking at the Welsh Squad for this years Six Nations

Post by maestegmafia Mon 05 Jan 2015, 12:18 pm

the Wales team to face England

1. Jenkins
2. Hibbard
3. Lee
4. Jones
5. Ball
6. Lydiate
7. Warburton
8. Faletau
9. Webb
10. Biggar
11. North
12. Roberts
13. JD2
14. Cuthbert
15. Halfpenny

16. Baldwin
17. James
18. Jarvis
19. Charteris
20. Tipuric
21. Phillips
22. Preistland
23. Williams

WALES 2015 SIX NATIONS SQUAD:

Forwards:
Looseheads
Gethin Jenkins (Cardiff Blues), Paul James (Bath), Rob Evans (Scarlets)

Tightheads
Aaron Jarvis (Ospreys), Samson Lee (Scarlets), Scott Andrews (Cardiff Blues)

Hookers
Richard Hibbard (Gloucester), Kristian Dacey (Cardiff Blues), Scott Baldwin (Ospreys)

Locks
Alun Wyn Jones (Ospreys), Jake Ball (Scarlets), Bradley Davies (Wasps), Luke Charteris (Racing Metro)

Blindsides
Dan Lydiate (Ospreys), James King (Ospreys)

Opensides
Sam Warburton (Cardiff Blues, capt), Justin Tipuric (Ospreys)

Number 8
Taulupe Faletau (Newport Gwent Dragons)

Backs:

Scrumhalves
Mike Phillips (Racing Metro), Rhys Webb (Ospreys), Gareth Davies (Scarlets),

Fly halves
Dan Biggar (Ospreys), Rhys Priestland (Scarlets), Gareth Anscombe (Cardiff Blues)

Centres
Cory Allen (Cardiff Blues), Jamie Roberts (Racing Metro), Jonathan Davies (Clermont Auvergne), Scott Williams (Scarlets), Tyler Morgan (Newport Gwent Dragons)

Wings
Hallam Amos (Newport Gwent Dragons), Alex Cuthbert (Cardiff Blues), George North (Northampton Saints),

Fullbacks
Liam Williams (Scarlets), Leigh Halfpenny (Toulon)

Last edited by maestegmafia on Mon 02 Feb 2015, 1:02 pm; edited 3 times in total

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Looking at the Welsh Squad for this years Six Nations Empty Re: Looking at the Welsh Squad for this years Six Nations

Post by ScarletSpiderman Mon 05 Jan 2015, 1:28 pm

Forwards:
Paul James (Bath), Gethin Jenkins (Cardiff Blues), Rob Evans (Scarlets), Richard Hibbard (Ospreys), Ken Owens (Scarlets), Scott Baldwin (Ospreys), Adam Jones (Ospreys), Samson Lee (Scarlets), Scott Andrews (Blues), Alun Wyn Jones (Ospreys), Luke Charteris (Perpignan), Jake Ball (Scarlets/WRU), James King (Ospreys), Justin Tipuric (Ospreys), Sam Warburton Capt (Cardiff Blues/WRU), Toby Faletau (Dragons), Dan Lydiate (Ospreys/WRU), Josh Navidi (Blues), Dan Baker (Ospreys)

Backs:
Gareth Davies (Scarlets), Mike Phillips (Racing Metro), Rhys Webb (Ospreys), Dan Biggar (Ospreys), Rhys Priestland (Scarlets), Gareth Annscome (Blues), Jonathan Davies (Clermont), Jamie Roberts (Racing Metro), Scott Williams (Scarlets), Alex Cuthbert (Cardiff Blues), George North (Northampton Saints), Leigh Halfpenny (Cardiff Blues), Liam Williams (Scarlets)

In Bold are where I think the changes from last year will come (not sure about Scott Andrews but can't think of a single welsh tighthead who is up to the 3rd choice spot that isn't injured).
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Looking at the Welsh Squad for this years Six Nations Empty Re: Looking at the Welsh Squad for this years Six Nations

Post by maestegmafia Mon 05 Jan 2015, 1:35 pm

Counting on Ken Owens and Dan Bakers fitness being good but otherwise I would find it hard to disagree with many choices though I might be tempted to give Lloyd Fairbrother a look over Scott Andrews.

I also wouldn't be disappointed to see Mike Phillips dropped. He has had one decent game for Wales, second test vs SA last summer, in two years and I think we have better options in Webb, Davies, and another of the Welsh based players, plenty of good mines to choose from. Knoyle is playing well, Jon Evams too.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Mon 05 Jan 2015, 1:41 pm

I can't see Gats straying to far from his regulars to be honest. The only 'shocks' I can see would be Cuthbert or North maybe dropping out to allow Hallam Amos (Dragons/WRU) to be in the squad, and possible Allen being dropped to allow Tyler Morgan (Dragons/WRU) to be in there too. After all the union are not going to be too pleased if Gatland only selects 3 of their 6 contracted players to be involved in the 6 Nations.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 05 Jan 2015, 1:47 pm

ScarletSpiderman wrote:I can't see Gats straying to far from his regulars to be honest.  The only 'shocks' I can see would be Cuthbert or North maybe dropping out to allow Hallam Amos (Dragons/WRU) to be in the squad, and possible Allen being dropped to allow Tyler Morgan (Dragons/WRU) to be in there too.  After all the union are not going to be too pleased if Gatland only selects 3 of their 6 contracted players to be involved in the 6 Nations.

I don't think that the dual contracts are solely about Welsh squad players, more keeping players we want in Wales.

I certainly don't see Cuthbert or North being dropped. I think AllenMorgan and Amos will all be in the larger squad but not getting game time.

I imagine we will have the larger 32 man ish squad for this six nations rather than the trimmed 28 man squad we have had before.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Mon 05 Jan 2015, 1:59 pm

I haven't seen anything yet that would warrant the inclusion of Anscombe I would much rather see O Williams in there but am betting Anscombe will be rushed in.

I think Amos will be named as well as North and Cuthbert and if Owens doesn't get there fitness wise then I think Elliot Dee is worth a look at.

Agree about the tightheads though, if he chooses to ignore A Jones (hope not) then we really are thin on the ground after Lee.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 05 Jan 2015, 2:04 pm

Elliot Dee is a good call, having a great season.

Not sure what you have against Anscombe mate...! I think he has been superb at the Blues. Covers ten and fifteen.

I would like to see Owen Williams in there too.

I think now is a good opportunity to look at a large group.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 05 Jan 2015, 2:09 pm

That said, Gatlands selected a squad of 28 players for the six nations in 2011 he then picked a larger 35 man squad prior to the RWC warm up games we played that summer.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Mon 05 Jan 2015, 2:14 pm

I don't get why Anscomme is so highly rated, and Priestland is so slated. From what I have seen they are pretty much the same player with different accents. Both seem iffy when they are kicking at goal, hit or miss (pun intended), and both seem to want to get the backline moving as opposed to just plugging the corners.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Mon 05 Jan 2015, 2:39 pm

maestegmafia wrote:Elliot Dee is a good call, having a great season.

Not sure what you have against Anscombe mate...! I think he has been superb at the Blues. Covers ten and fifteen.

Maes,

I don't think I seen him do anything out of the ordinary for the Blues so just don't get all the fuss, if he's as good as everyone seems to think then 1, he shouldn't need time to settle in and 2, he would still be in NZ vying for an All Blacks shirt.

If he proves himself in time then fair enough give him a crack but give him time, if he's put into the Welsh squad you can guarantee that in some quarters he will be hailed as our great attacking saviour how is going to give Wales the cutting edge we need etc etc.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 05 Jan 2015, 2:45 pm

bedfordwelsh wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:Elliot Dee is a good call, having a great season.

Maes,

I don't think I seen him do anything out of the ordinary for the Blues so just don't get all the fuss, if he's as good as everyone seems to think then 1, he shouldn't need time to settle in and 2, he would still be in NZ vying for an All Blacks shirt.

If he proves himself in time then fair enough give him a crack but give him time, if he's put into the Welsh squad you can guarantee that in some quarters he will be hailed as our great attacking saviour how is going to give Wales the cutting edge we need etc etc.

With three fly halves all in the top five in world rugby vying for the All Blacks ten shirt and similar in the Fifteen shirt its not hard to understand why he isn't going down that route.

I think so far he has done plenty to prove he is a decent player, to be honest I think Biggar, Williams and at the moment Tovey all playing verywell. But this is a good time for the Welsh management to have a look at him in training. He has vision pace and good skills. If we lost Halfpenny or Biggar then we might regret not having him in the squad.

With Hook not playing his best in England then Anscombe might have a valuable roll to play. But I agree he is not a first team player with what we have seen.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Mon 05 Jan 2015, 2:54 pm

Will have to agree to dis-agree on this one then Maes or will be going round in circles Smile
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 05 Jan 2015, 3:16 pm

Fair enough. But let me just ask you, what in your opinion, would Anscombe have to do to garner your support as a possible Welsh squad player? Or maybe what isn't he doing that makes you think he isn't up to scratch...?

Because when I watch him I see a player who reads the game well, finds valuable space, kicks and passes accurately, has the confidence and pace to exploit the opposition defence with breaks and has the ability to put his players through gaps...

The later is not something Dan Biggar is great at...

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Mon 05 Jan 2015, 3:20 pm

Personally, as primarily an Osprey supporter I would prefer a 28 man squad with a few of the fringe players NOT selected, with the first match on the 6th of Feb and the final on the 21st March the first 2 weekends are LV matches so no bother really, after that we have within this period Edinburgh and Glasgow away and then Leinster and Munster at home, this could totally wreck our season, because it is not just the 6N, the U20s are playing as well, for instance if the squad was to include King, the only 2nd rows available would be the SA and the Fijian with Ardron as possible back up, that is not enough for those 4 matches

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Mon 05 Jan 2015, 3:30 pm

maestegmafia wrote:Fair enough. But let me just ask you, what in your opinion, would Anscombe have to do to garner your support as a possible Welsh squad player? Or maybe what isn't he doing that makes you think he isn't up to scratch...?

Because when I watch him I see a player who reads the game well, finds valuable space, kicks and passes accurately, has the confidence and pace to exploit the opposition defence with breaks and has the ability to put his players through gaps...

The later is not something Dan Biggar is great at...

I would like to see him have a good run at one position for a start, the Blues have used him at 10 and XV which says to me even they are not sure where his best position is.

I think is kicking hasn't been anything overly special but agree he does look for the gap more, guess I would just like to see more of him, lets be honest if he wasn't from NZ and he was a young kid who had come through the system would be rushing him into the set up after a hand full of games.

Yes I know he has the SH games behind him but again if he was as good as some said then he should have been able to slot in easily giving he is (by a lot of reports) stepping down a level to go to the Blues.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 05 Jan 2015, 3:30 pm

wayne wrote:Personally, as primarily an Osprey supporter I would prefer a 28 man squad with a few of the fringe players NOT selected, with the first match on the 6th of Feb and the final on the 21st March the first 2 weekends are LV matches so no bother really, after that we have within this period Edinburgh and Glasgow away and then Leinster and Munster at home, this could totally wreck our season, because it is not just the 6N, the U20s are playing as well, for instance if the squad was to include King, the only 2nd rows available would be the SA and the Fijian with Ardron as possible back up, that is not enough for those 4 matches  

I think the focus is more on the World Cup than the Ospreys GP12 commitments.

We have some tough games ahead during the six nations but to be fair the opposition will be missing players for the same reason as the Ospreys.

Regarding James King, I think I would have Shingler or Turnbull in ahead of him for this. He has looked a bit lightweight recently. Shingler had a storming game last weekend.

Back row outside of the four obvious first picks will be interesting.

We need cover for eight should Faletau get injured, Dan Baker still has an injured shoulder. Nalvidi is playing well at eight for the Blues, McCusker had a good game on the weekend, Pitman looks very good if he can catch a pass.

Other than eight cover I think we need to look at one or two players to trial as squad members. For me I think Turnbull and Shingler are the best options on form.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Mon 05 Jan 2015, 3:30 pm

Wayne, didn't the union agree to release all non-essential (match day 23, and travelling reserves) back to the regions as soon as possible as part of the PA? I know that their prep time will be reduced but that is better than nowt still. Also remember that the four teams you face should all be well and truly destroyed by call ups themselves.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Mon 05 Jan 2015, 3:40 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
wayne wrote:Personally, as primarily an Osprey supporter I would prefer a 28 man squad with a few of the fringe players NOT selected, with the first match on the 6th of Feb and the final on the 21st March the first 2 weekends are LV matches so no bother really, after that we have within this period Edinburgh and Glasgow away and then Leinster and Munster at home, this could totally wreck our season, because it is not just the 6N, the U20s are playing as well, for instance if the squad was to include King, the only 2nd rows available would be the SA and the Fijian with Ardron as possible back up, that is not enough for those 4 matches  

We have some tough games ahead during the six nations but to be fair the opposition will be missing players for the same reason as the Ospreys.

Regarding James King, I think I would have Shingler or Turnbull in ahead of him for this. He has looked a bit lightweight recently. Shingler had a storming game last weekend.

We need cover for eight should Faletau get injured, Dan Baker still has an injured shoulder. Nalvidi is playing well at eight for the Blues, McCusker had a good game on the weekend, Pitman looks very good if he can catch a pass.

Other than eight cover I think we need to look at one or two players to trial as squad members. For me I think Turnbull and Shingler are the best options on form.

How long is Baker out for?

I agree about Navidi he has looked really good this season and I do like the look of Pitman though might be a season to early for him.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 05 Jan 2015, 4:08 pm

I am thinking along the lines of...!

Forwards:

Paul James (Bath), Gethin Jenkins (Cardiff Blues)

Richard Hibbard (Ospreys), Scott Baldwin (Ospreys), Elliot Dee (Dragons)

Adam Jones (Ospreys), Samson Lee (Scarlets),

Alun Wyn Jones (Ospreys), Luke Charteris (Perpignan), Jake Ball (Scarlets), Andrew Coombs (Dragons)

Justin Tipuric (Ospreys), Sam Warburton Capt (Cardiff Blues)

Dan Lydiate (Ospreys), Aaron Shingler (Scarlets) Josh Turnbull (Blues)

Toby Faletau (Dragons), Josh Navidi (Blues)

Backs:

Gareth Davies (Scarlets), Rhys Webb (Ospreys)

Dan Biggar (Ospreys), Rhys Priestland (Scarlets) Owen Williams (Tigers)

Jonathan Davies (Clermont), Jamie Roberts (Racing Metro), Scott Williams (Scarlets) Cory Allen (Blues)

Alex Cuthbert (Cardiff Blues), George North (Northampton Saints),

Leigh Halfpenny (Cardiff Blues), Liam Williams (Scarlets)

I would also call up the following as peripheral training partners for the squad.

Gareth Anscombe, Sam Hobbs, Rob Evans, Tyler Morgan, Hallam Amos, Jack Dixon, Eli Walker, Nick Cudd, James Thomas and Tom Prydie

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 05 Jan 2015, 4:11 pm

ScarletSpiderman wrote:I don't get why Anscomme is so highly rated, and Priestland is so slated.  From what I have seen they are pretty much the same player with different accents.  Both seem iffy when they are kicking at goal, hit or miss (pun intended), and both seem to want to get the backline moving as opposed to just plugging the corners.

To be honest, neither fill me with confidence at international level.

Both perform well at regional, but at least we know how good Priestland is at test level, where as Anscombe is unknown.

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 05 Jan 2015, 4:19 pm

IronMike wrote:
ScarletSpiderman wrote:I don't get why Anscomme is so highly rated, and Priestland is so slated.  From what I have seen they are pretty much the same player with different accents.  Both seem iffy when they are kicking at goal, hit or miss (pun intended), and both seem to want to get the backline moving as opposed to just plugging the corners.

To be honest, neither fill me with confidence at international level.

Both perform well at regional, but at least we know how good Priestland is at test level, where as Anscombe is unknown.

I agree but I think both are valuable additions to the squad. I think Priestland gets unfair criticism, goal kicking is not as good as halfpenny or Biggar but few are. But both Anscoombe and Priestland read the field well and play a good attacking game.

Biggar edges both with his now superb defence and his goal kicking but I think both Anscoombe and Priestland have attributes we need in our game.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Mon 05 Jan 2015, 4:33 pm

ScarletSpiderman wrote:I can't see Gats straying to far from his regulars to be honest.  The only 'shocks' I can see would be Cuthbert or North maybe dropping out to allow Hallam Amos (Dragons/WRU) to be in the squad, and possible Allen being dropped to allow Tyler Morgan (Dragons/WRU) to be in there too.  After all the union are not going to be too pleased if Gatland only selects 3 of their 6 contracted players to be involved in the 6 Nations.

Can you really see Gatland dropping George North? I would of thought that he would be the First or at the very least second name on the team sheet.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Mon 05 Jan 2015, 4:43 pm

I was taking it from SSs squad who had King in there, and as for 2nd row neither King or Coombes will be there it will be Bradley. As for your squad Maes the first 2 weeks of the 6N which the Regions would be playing the LV wouldn't be a problem, after that would be that round of matches that I referred to earlier and you have 44 players in your squad, if that number are kept back there will be uproar in the Regions, at that point there will hopefully no more than 28.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Mon 05 Jan 2015, 4:50 pm

It's absolutely hilarious that you think Hook made the squad due to injuries (to who, uncapped players?), and that Priestland and Anscombe are in better form - neither of them are. Priest hasn't been for 2 years so I think it's fair to assume his RWC form was a purple patch. I don't think Hook should be in the squad but he's a better option than the fore mentioned - behind Biggar it seems we have literally nothing.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 05 Jan 2015, 4:53 pm

wayne wrote:I was taking it from SSs squad who had King in there, and as for 2nd row neither King or Coombes will be there it will be Bradley. As for your squad Maes the first 2 weeks of the 6N which the Regions would be playing the LV wouldn't be a problem, after that would be that round of matches that I referred to earlier and you have 44 players in your squad, if that number are kept back there will be uproar in the Regions, at that point there will hopefully no more than 28.  

All but the match day 23 plus travelling reserves have to be released by the Wednesday before the game. I think someone else mentioned it when you raised your concerns earlier... Likewise, the opposition will also be missing international call ups as well.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 05 Jan 2015, 4:57 pm

The Saint wrote:It's absolutely hilarious that you think Hook made the squad due to injuries (to who, uncapped players?), and that Priestland and Anscombe are in better form - neither of them are. Priest hasn't been for 2 years so I think it's fair to assume his RWC form was a purple patch. I don't think Hook should be in the squad but he's a better option than the fore mentioned - behind Biggar it seems we have literally nothing.

We have a difference of opinion, We often do. I occaissonally wonder whether you are watching the same sport or you just like to incite people?

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Mon 05 Jan 2015, 6:28 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
wayne wrote:I was taking it from SSs squad who had King in there, and as for 2nd row neither King or Coombes will be there it will be Bradley. As for your squad Maes the first 2 weeks of the 6N which the Regions would be playing the LV wouldn't be a problem, after that would be that round of matches that I referred to earlier and you have 44 players in your squad, if that number are kept back there will be uproar in the Regions, at that point there will hopefully no more than 28.  

All but the match day 23 plus travelling reserves have to be released by the Wednesday before the game. I think someone else mentioned it when you raised your concerns earlier... Likewise, the opposition will also be missing international call ups as well.
Maes, the 4 teams mentioned have considerably more money available to them than any of the Welsh Regions and considerably deeper squads, because they didn't have a CEO trying to run them into the ground, and if you think those players would have much of an influence because of 1 possibly 2 days training with the squad, when said squad has at least 2 possibly 3 training together, you are living in cloud cuckoo land.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Mon 05 Jan 2015, 6:31 pm

Anscombe offers much more potential than Priestland who hd his shot and was finally lost his favored status to Biggar this autumn - deservedly so IMO. If RP is off to Bath i think that is almost an admission of defeat for him in his national career and I think its important to remember Anscombe is new to the Welsh game and should be given a shot as understudy to DB. Shame Owen Williams is going to stay in Leicester as I would have liked to see him figure, without him there is little option but to use Anscombe/Priestland and for me it will always be Anscombe.

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 05 Jan 2015, 6:48 pm

Agree. All the media hype about Anscombe is doing my head in too.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 05 Jan 2015, 7:18 pm

maestegmafia wrote:

Trial Turnbull and Shingler as squad members? Wow

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 05 Jan 2015, 8:10 pm

Risca Rev wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:

Trial Turnbull and Shingler as squad members? Wow

Ok maybe trial isn't that right word. But I think we need to look at having a couple of guys in the mix who will be good lads to have around come the World Cup should one of the front line players get a knock

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 05 Jan 2015, 8:41 pm

Gwlad wrote:Anscombe offers much more potential than Priestland who hd his shot and was finally lost his favored status to Biggar this autumn - deservedly so IMO. If RP is off to Bath i think that is almost an admission of defeat for him in his national career and I think its important to remember Anscombe is new to the Welsh game and should be given a shot as understudy to DB. Shame Owen Williams is going to stay in Leicester as I would have liked to see him figure, without him there is little option but to use Anscombe/Priestland and for me it will always be Anscombe.

There is also Patchell to come back.. That might make it interesting

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Mon 05 Jan 2015, 9:07 pm

I can't see Coombs being involved as he seems to have dropped back a bit now i would imagine the 4 second rowers being AWJ, Ball, Charteris and Davies
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Mon 05 Jan 2015, 9:33 pm

Wondered when the Anscombe for Wales wheels would start turning. Only being in the NH environment a few weeks is a bit much to take but he'll only get better as he settles in. At least he seems to be on the borderline at this point. NZers will probably follow his progress very keenly, one of the better players to leave NZ 'prematurely'.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Mon 05 Jan 2015, 10:28 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
Gwlad wrote:Anscombe offers much more potential than Priestland who hd his shot and was finally lost his favored status to Biggar this autumn - deservedly so IMO. If RP is off to Bath i think that is almost an admission of defeat for him in his national career and I think its important to remember Anscombe is new to the Welsh game and should be given a shot as understudy to DB. Shame Owen Williams is going to stay in Leicester as I would have liked to see him figure, without him there is little option but to use Anscombe/Priestland and for me it will always be Anscombe.

Has Patchell capped yet or really been in the running? I just think Anscombe has a composure that means he can cope best with RWC so close, as i really dont think Priestland has anything left to offer….so fed up of him losing possession because he gets himself isolated and has no pace. The Anscombe hype may or may not increase his chances of selection and i just hope Gats give him a run out v Scotland or Italy.

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 05 Jan 2015, 10:56 pm

bedfordwelsh wrote:I can't see Coombs being involved as he seems to have dropped back a bit now i would imagine the 4 second rowers being AWJ, Ball, Charteris and Davies

I thought he looked pretty useful for the dragons when I watched him this season.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 05 Jan 2015, 11:07 pm

Gwlad wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:

Has Patchell capped yet or really been in the running? I just think Anscombe has a composure that means he can cope best with RWC so close, as i really dont think Priestland has anything left to offer….so fed up of him losing possession because he gets himself isolated and has no pace. The Anscombe hype may or may not increase his chances of selection and i just hope Gats give him a run out v Scotland or Italy.

I think Priestland showed against the Ospreys exactly what he has to offer, the try he made for Liam williams was a superb bit of play. Something Biggar doesn't do.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Mon 05 Jan 2015, 11:24 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
The Saint wrote:It's absolutely hilarious that you think Hook made the squad due to injuries (to who, uncapped players?), and that Priestland and Anscombe are in better form - neither of them are. Priest hasn't been for 2 years so I think it's fair to assume his RWC form was a purple patch. I don't think Hook should be in the squad but he's a better option than the fore mentioned - behind Biggar it seems we have literally nothing.

We have a difference of opinion, We often do. I occaissonally wonder whether you are watching the same sport or you just like to incite people?

Some might say the same about you seeing as you constantly latch on to media hype and seemingly rate every Welsh player going (even Priestland and Tavis Knoyle). But anyway yeah, I think I made my point and I doubt that you agree.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Mon 05 Jan 2015, 11:31 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
Gwlad wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:

I think Priestland showed against the Ospreys exactly what he has to offer, the try he made for Liam williams was a superb bit of play. Something Biggar doesn't do.

I think this statement raises an earlier point you made, something about "are we even watching the same game?" You clearly aren't... Or maybe you are, but you can't apply comprehension to what you see and tend to believe what Jiffy and his mates are saying. That statement about Biggar is also past it's sell-by date - hope you don't read this as an offence again, as I'm just trying to speak my mind.

Anscombe isn't playing well enough either. There is some hype around him but it's restricted to a couple of pundits (if you can call Martyn Williams and Phil Davies that!) and posters on here. From what I've seen I don't rate him as good enough, yet. Patchell looks the part however, as does Owen Williams - who I think has ruled himself out for obvious reasons. I also agree with what somebody else said, that Priestland going to Bath seems to be a sign of defeat. He knows it, I know it, it's about time others woke up too. Therefore, I think we're left with Hook. He isn't great, but ah well.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 06 Jan 2015, 12:45 am

Well done saint, blah blah blah usual tripe everyone's rubbish yawn... You are a stuck record...

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 06 Jan 2015, 10:32 am

Andy Howells select XV from the recent Derbies..

15 Liam Williams
14 Lucas Amorisino
13 Regan King
12 Scott Williams
11 Hallam Amos
10 Gareth Anscombe
9 Aled Davies
1 Rob Evans
2 Kirby Myhill
3 Sampson Lee
4 Jake Ball
5 Andrew Coombs
6 Aaron Shingler
7 John Barclay
8 Taulupe Faletau

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Tue 06 Jan 2015, 10:44 am

ScarletSpiderman wrote:
In Bold are where I think the changes from last year will come (not sure about Scott Andrews but can't think of a single welsh tighthead who is up to the 3rd choice spot that isn't injured).

Scott Andrews is the fourth choice Blues THP!

He will be nowhere near the Wales squad,

I don't think he has played for the Blues this season
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 06 Jan 2015, 10:51 am

wales606 wrote:
ScarletSpiderman wrote:

Neither Jarvis nor Mitchell are getting any game time either. Jarvis has been injured and Filise seems to be above Mitchell in the pecking order at the Blues.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Tue 06 Jan 2015, 10:52 am

maestegmafia wrote:
wales606 wrote:
ScarletSpiderman wrote:

Neith Jarvis nor Mitchell are getting any game time either. Jarvis has been injured and Filise seems to be above Mitchell in the pecking order at the Blues.

No, Mitchell is second choice...when he isn't injured. Which has been about 3 weeks this year.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Tue 06 Jan 2015, 10:54 am

Taylorman wrote:Wondered when the Anscombe for Wales wheels would start turning. Only being in the NH environment a few weeks is a bit much to take but he'll only get better as he settles in. At least he seems to be on the borderline at this point. NZers will probably follow his progress very keenly, one of the better players to leave NZ 'prematurely'.

It had started when there were rumours of him going to Wales.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 06 Jan 2015, 11:01 am

HammerofThunor wrote:
Taylorman wrote:Wondered when the Anscombe for Wales wheels would start turning. Only being in the NH environment a few weeks is a bit much to take but he'll only get better as he settles in. At least he seems to be on the borderline at this point. NZers will probably follow his progress very keenly, one of the better players to leave NZ 'prematurely'.

It had started when there were rumours of him going to Wales.

In the press maybe... But us fans and pundits all wanted to see what he could do before we judged him. He has played 7 games and scored 50 points, most from flyhalf. As said above, he has a great awareness as well as the pace and skills to do what is needed. He is worth looking at.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 06 Jan 2015, 11:20 am

wales606 wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:
wales606 wrote:
ScarletSpiderman wrote:

Neith Jarvis nor Mitchell are getting any game time either. Jarvis has been injured and Filise seems to be above Mitchell in the pecking order at the Blues.

No, Mitchell is second choice...when he isn't injured. Which has been about 3 weeks this year.

What are the chances of him getting some games in in the near future?

Jarvis played for the Ospreys last week but I think he isn't fully recovered. We still have serious issues with injured players, more on the loosehead side than the tight.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Tue 06 Jan 2015, 11:24 am

I just assume Mitchell is always injured at the moment, it's a nice surprise when he makes a 10 minute appearance off the bench then disappears for a few months.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 06 Jan 2015, 11:59 am

Hopefully we get to see him play a few games in the next three weeks. With Rhodri Jones out injured, we might be looking at playing Scott Andrews.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue 06 Jan 2015, 12:11 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
bedfordwelsh wrote:I can't see Coombs being involved as he seems to have dropped back a bit now i would imagine the 4 second rowers being AWJ, Ball, Charteris and Davies

I thought he looked pretty useful for the dragons when I watched him this season.

He has but he seems to have dropped down Gatlands pecking order I feel, he wasn't involved in the AIs so just think it will be he main four.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 13 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next