The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

''this is the worst united squad for over 20 years''

+6
davidl1061
dondelero
Geordie
TopHat24/7
hampo17
matth7
10 posters

Go down

''this is the worst united squad for over 20 years'' Empty ''this is the worst united squad for over 20 years''

Post by matth7 Mon 23 Jan - 11:08

i've heard this been mentioned alot of times this season and its aload of nonsense in my opinion, we are 3 points behind the leaders man city and we are the current premier league champions and people forget that. alot fo teams have worse squads than us, chelsea liverpool and arsenal have been much much worse than us this season, i know we are out of the champions league but we're in the top 4 and guarenteed of a champions league place for next season not bad for the '' worst united squad for over 20 years''.

thoughts ?

matth7

Back to top Go down

''this is the worst united squad for over 20 years'' Empty Re: ''this is the worst united squad for over 20 years''

Post by hampo17 Mon 23 Jan - 12:06

I think in terms of the players there it is, you still need a Roy Keane type of player in the middle, a decent RB, if Lindergard wasn't playing so well then I feel you'd be struggling with De Gea in goal.

I think in the past United have known that players like Giggs, Beckham, Cantona will always pull something out of the hat, this year they haven't got that so every player is putting a shift in and it shows. However just going back to the middle of the midfield, Fergie mustn't have much faith there if he has to get a 37 year old Paul Scholes to come out of retirement.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

''this is the worst united squad for over 20 years'' Empty Re: ''this is the worst united squad for over 20 years''

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 23 Jan - 13:00

It doesn't contain Kleberson and Djemba-Djemba so it can't be!

The lack of a superstar or stars makes it look poor (Rooney's just not hitting the heights consistently enough in my opinion) but the squad's actually pretty good still, if we assume everyone is fit.

It lacks the excitement of the Ronaldo/Rooney/Tevez era, and the superstardom of that treble winning midfield of Giggs/Scholes/Keane/Beckham.

Unfortunately I don't see where either are going to come from at the moment, maybe Phil Jones in a few years but that's it.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Mon 23 Jan - 13:30

I think the midfield is extremely poor compared to the past 10 years....

Carrick is rubbish, fletcher is a decent grafter no more...Nani is a good winger but not magical, Valencia similar and Anderson ...well best leave that one alone....

Whats happened to Cleverley etc...

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by dondelero Mon 23 Jan - 13:49

A lot of the people who think this have not been supporting Utd for long hence this nonsense. Just because Utd are not winning every
game by 4 or five goals then all of a sudden they have the" worst squad in 20 years". Utd have never been a team of just superstars, which is why some people are disappointed, they would probably be better off following Chelsea or City.

dondelero

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 23 Jan - 13:56

GeordieFalcon wrote:I think the midfield is extremely poor compared to the past 10 years....

Carrick is rubbish, fletcher is a decent grafter no more...Nani is a good winger but not magical, Valencia similar and Anderson ...well best leave that one alone....

Whats happened to Cleverley etc...

Carrick is playing better than he has for about 3 seasons and, though not great, is still very good. Fletcher is out for good now due to his illness issues so barely worth considering.

Cleverley is injured, as is Young. Both are expected back February sometime.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by davidl1061 Mon 23 Jan - 14:06

I dont think Carrick is rubbish. I think in the last couple of months he has been back his best and showing why he is an England international. Fletcher is a player every team needs, he breaks up play and keeps it simple. Ferguson clearly rates him and its unfair to tarnish him after his last few games when he was playing through illness.

davidl1061

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Mon 23 Jan - 14:23

Man U under Fergusson have gone through about 3 or 4 cycles of teams coming together, reaching their peak and then declining. At the moment you are in another phase of building the team back up (after selling Ronaldo and Tevez and the retirements of most of the Class of 93 youth teamers), and in this context it is remarkable that you won the title last season and are in the hunt for it this year.

It is probably the poorest squad of the last 7 or 8 years, and I think maybe there's an issue with the lack of a superstar (and the inability to buy one given that Man City, Chelsea, Barca and Madrid pay money that Man U can't afford to). I think the hope was that the coaches could do the same with Nani as they did with Ronaldo, of taking a young, raw talent and turning him into a genuinely world class attacking player - hasn't quite worked out like that, as Nani doesn't have quite the same footballing brain as CR.

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by nasisillmatic Mon 23 Jan - 15:22

If this Man Utd team is the worst in 20 years than gold help us all. They are only 3 points behind City despite losing 6-1 to them at home.

I think this just shows the high standard that Utd have set under Ferguson.

nasisillmatic

Back to top Go down

Post by GG Mon 23 Jan - 15:52

Well they are out of the CL.....

The squad is pretty good, there's just a distinct lack of star players. What they do have is an incredible will to win, an incredible manager (as much as I despise him) and superb teamwork.

GG

Back to top Go down

Post by dublfcynwa Mon 23 Jan - 15:59

I think it is and it just show's how over-rated the prem is if this terrible United squad can be second. City are a good team but they are nowhere near the best club's in Europe yet and I think the prem is at the lowest standard it's been at in year's. Chelsea are also as poor as they have been in a long time and Liverpool are terrible. Spur's for me are a better side than United in evey single aspect of the game apart from experience.
dublfcynwa
dublfcynwa

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 23 Jan - 16:18

Prem over-rated?? Compared to........? We've dominated the Champions League (albeit winning it only once) the last 5-6 years, consitently better represented at QF and SF stages than any other league including La Liga which is a two-team league as bad as Scotland. Last season Spurs couldn't even get in our top 4 but walked through the best that Italy could offer.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by dublfcynwa Mon 23 Jan - 17:11

TopHat24/7 wrote:Prem over-rated?? Compared to........? We've dominated the Champions League (albeit winning it only once) the last 5-6 years, consitently better represented at QF and SF stages than any other league including La Liga which is a two-team league as bad as Scotland. Last season Spurs couldn't even get in our top 4 but walked through the best that Italy could offer.

Im talking about this season. The top two in England are strolling through the league and getting turned over by the like's of Basle and Napoli in Europe. That is possibly that worst group in champs league history that United were in and they came third, City's group was tough but after spending over £300mil net on a team you would expcet them to make it through the group stage's. The prem imo is vastly over-rated.
dublfcynwa
dublfcynwa

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 23 Jan - 22:25

I hate the argument that just because we're only 3 points behind 1st place then this united side is up there with the best SAF has assembled.....it isn't.

Some united fans seem to get really defensive about this subject. I'm not saying we're rubbish, but I can't say this team is that special compared to some of the teams I've seen over the years

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down