The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The "All-in" Junior world cup thread

+53
Barney McGrew did it
propdavid_london
nobbled
Gunner
jelly
Exiledinborders
No 7&1/2
rodders
thebandwagonsociety
quinsforever
Cumbrian
Rugby Fan
Mad for Chelsea
kingraf
Hood83
DaveM
Sgt_Pooly
Portnoy's Complaint
Pal Joey
Geordie
kiakahaaotearoa
Scrumpy
brennomac
LeinsterFan4life
Welly
fa0019
Dubbelyew L Overate
Poorfour
alive555
whocares
Ozzy3213
GavinDragon
blackcanelion
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
lostinwales
asoreleftshoulder
rainbow-warrior
MMaaxx
Biltong
Dorothy_Mantooth
beshocked
HammerofThunor
The Great Aukster
sickofwendy
Notch
majesticimperialman
profitius
George Carlin
SecretFly
The Saint
BigTrevsbigmac
aucklandlaurie
Taylorman
57 posters

Page 2 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

The "All-in" Junior world cup thread - Page 2 Empty The "All-in" Junior world cup thread

Post by Taylorman Mon 02 Jun 2014, 4:56 am

First topic message reminder :

With 6 games on today didnt feel like jumping around the various u20 posts for each side...

On now is Scotland vs SA- Scots ahead after 16 mins 5-0, now SA 7-5 after 18.

Wales are leading Fiji 14-5 after scoring a try after 7 seconds! An average kick of to the left was left to bounce by the Fijians and Wales came through at full pace catching the ball after the bounce and scored in the corner. Other than the ball bouncing I don't think you can get a quicker try.

Aus thrashed Argie 36-17.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

The "All-in" Junior world cup thread - Page 2 Empty Re: The "All-in" Junior world cup thread

Post by Biltong Wed 04 Jun 2014, 10:16 pm

The semi finals work on the basis of log points.

The three winners of the pools go through and the the fourth spot goes to the team with the highest log points.

Lets say one of Nz and SA comes second intheir pool, then they would need to have won their other two matches with bonus points, getting 10 log points, and at least a bonus point from their losing match.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

The "All-in" Junior world cup thread - Page 2 Empty Re: The "All-in" Junior world cup thread

Post by GavinDragon Wed 04 Jun 2014, 10:22 pm

blackcanelion wrote:Big game for NZ and South Africa tomorrow. Not sure how the qualification for the semis work. I'm guessing it's possible for the loser to be in the group playing off for 5th-8th place.

Boks look good, I think we're starting to see the lack of emphasis on the junior game come through. As a Kiwi I'm worried about the lack of development of our team. It'll be the first of 2nd time many of these players will have played together as we have no junior national age groups sides now.

Eh? What do you mean

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by blackcanelion Wed 04 Jun 2014, 10:27 pm

That's what I thought. I haven't thought about the permutations, but here goes.

Group A:
England, Australia, Argentina and Italy. England and Australia will probably fight this one out. I'm guessing both sides will get the maximum 10 points against the other two.

Group B:
Wales, France, Ireland and Fiji. Could be any of the first 3. Don't think no 2 will qualify as France and Ireland have already dropped a point. Could be a log jam if Wales finish second and get 10.

Group C:
New Zealand, South Africa, Samoan and Scotland. A two horse race. Both NZ and SA teams will almost certainly get 10 points from the other games.

So it'll probably come down to the losers of the England/Australia and New Zealand/South Africa group.

blackcanelion

Back to top Go down

Post by blackcanelion Wed 04 Jun 2014, 10:34 pm

GavinDragon wrote:
blackcanelion wrote:Big game for NZ and South Africa tomorrow. Not sure how the qualification for the semis work. I'm guessing it's possible for the loser to be in the group playing off for 5th-8th place.

Boks look good, I think we're starting to see the lack of emphasis on the junior game come through. As a Kiwi I'm worried about the lack of development of our team. It'll be the first of 2nd time many of these players will have played together as we have no junior national age groups sides now.

Eh? What do you mean

We've somehow got ourselves in the position where the under 20's side is only real age group side that plays. They usually play a warm up game on the way to the tournament against a development 15 and that's it. There is the secondary schools. A number of player will play together here (Usually only players in their last year qualify and they only ever play 2 or 3 matches). Some years we've lost fair portion to league (particularly big and/or quick backs). Contrast this with teams like England or Wales where the age group sides play each other in a 6 nations championship.

I think the games moved on from 6 years ago. We had an advantage in players playing senior club rugby. With the inclusion of an increasing number of players in Europe in professional clubs and getting game time. I think that advantage we had is gone.

blackcanelion

Back to top Go down

Post by rainbow-warrior Thu 05 Jun 2014, 7:16 am

blackcanelion wrote:
GavinDragon wrote:

Eh? What do you mean

We've somehow got ourselves in the position where the under 20's side is only real age group side that plays. They usually play a warm up game on the way to the tournament against a development 15 and that's it. There is the secondary schools. A number of player will play together here (Usually only players in their last year qualify and they only ever play  2 or 3 matches). Some years we've lost fair portion to league (particularly big and/or quick backs). Contrast this with teams like England or Wales where the age group sides play each other in a 6 nations championship.

I think the games moved on from 6 years ago. We had an advantage in players playing senior club rugby. With the inclusion of an increasing number of players in Europe in professional clubs and getting game time. I think that advantage we had is gone.

You can do the same thing, you could do worse that play Samoa.
rainbow-warrior
rainbow-warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Fri 06 Jun 2014, 6:44 am

Wales let a ball bounce and Ireland take advantage, 7-0.

Aus look very good this year, and lead England 7-3.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Fri 06 Jun 2014, 6:50 am

14-0

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Fri 06 Jun 2014, 6:51 am

basic errors from wales

ireland playing very well and defending well now

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Fri 06 Jun 2014, 6:52 am

Ireland look as if they drive early in a scrum after Evans' knock on near his own line and get the penalty, taking advantage by using quick ball and scoring through their No.13. 14-0. Wales need to do something different because their current plan isn't working, and cut back on the errors.

Eng 10 - 7 Aus.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Fri 06 Jun 2014, 6:54 am

Just what they needed.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Fri 06 Jun 2014, 6:55 am

14-7 try from tyler morgan, great pass from luc jones to put him through

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Fri 06 Jun 2014, 7:05 am

17-7 ireland defending well and showing sharp skills when hey have ball

o brien not doing enough to keep backline guessing - needs to vary with some kicks over top to turn a good defence

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Fri 06 Jun 2014, 7:13 am

YC for Ireland, Wales on the attack.

England lead Aus 24-17.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Fri 06 Jun 2014, 7:16 am

Probably Ireland's biggest fear coming into this game, they concede penalty try at the scrum.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Fri 06 Jun 2014, 7:16 am

17-14 penalty try ireland down to 14 after loosehead being binned

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Fri 06 Jun 2014, 7:18 am

that makes the pack Wales top try scorer of the campaign with three

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Fri 06 Jun 2014, 7:32 am

however wales lineout is suffering 4 being lost despite having the extra man

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Fri 06 Jun 2014, 7:36 am

Pushover Try James Benjamin 21-17

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Fri 06 Jun 2014, 7:37 am

A pushover try for Wales.

I think I missed an England score, but just caught the recent Aus one. 31-24. England are on course to defending their title in this form. They've another very good team.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Fri 06 Jun 2014, 7:37 am

Eng 31-24 Aus - looks a cracker

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Fri 06 Jun 2014, 7:49 am

Ire 24-21 Wales

far more dynamic in loose are ireland

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Fri 06 Jun 2014, 8:01 am

Eng 38 Aus 24
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Fri 06 Jun 2014, 8:03 am

wales down to 14 ire missed the pen, a lifeline perhaps

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Fri 06 Jun 2014, 8:07 am

Useless!

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Fri 06 Jun 2014, 8:10 am

30-21 end of the news and thoroughly deserved from ireland

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Fri 06 Jun 2014, 8:14 am

Just shocking from Wales, they deserve everything they get.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by whocares Fri 06 Jun 2014, 8:17 am

France beats Fidji 37-5 with a BP and a mostly 2nd string game. will be an interesting last round if Wales beats France...

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Fri 06 Jun 2014, 8:20 am

They won't on that form. 35-21 to Ireland.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Fri 06 Jun 2014, 8:22 am

Congratulations to Ireland, thoroughly deserved this game, aside from the scrum superior in all aspects of the game, executed skills with accuracy, looked after the ball in contact and played smart with their kicking game, their 10, 13 and 15 particularly impressed me.

Wales ratings

Nicky Smith - 7 one penalty try and one pushover try, did his job
Elliot Dee - 4, missed four throws anonymous in loose
Nicky Thomas - 7 same as Nicky Smith
Joe Davies 5 anonymous
Rory Thornton 5 as above
Olly Cracknell 5 couple of good hits
Will Boyd - 5 couple of good runs and a key turnover
James Benjamin - 5 as above

Luc Jones - 6 good distribution and set up morgans try
Angus O Brien - 5 great width of passing, poor game management did nothing to check the defence or make them think
Joshua Adams- 5 ponderous under high ball not in game
Jack Dixon 6 - solid & unspectacular
Steffan Hughes 5 - not in game shown up by opposite number dont actually see what he brings to the side when you have morgan who has played well at seniors at 13
Tyler Morgan 5 - not in game part of a back three who were outgunned under high ball
Ashley Evans 4 - as above

Certainly gone backwards from last year but is this due to personnel or coaching?

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Fri 06 Jun 2014, 8:28 am

We have the personnel given a few of them have pro contracts. It's the coaching IMO, Hayward is a step down from Wilson.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Fri 06 Jun 2014, 8:33 am

Yes IMO Wilson is a future Wales coach

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Fri 06 Jun 2014, 8:34 am

20,000 South Africans living in North Harbour apparently. You guys get around.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri 06 Jun 2014, 9:34 am

rainbow-warrior wrote:what makes you think Wales are any worse than last season?  They are bigger and better in all honesty.

But in any case this is they type of arrogance I love seeing backfire ...

Hmmm, kinda wrote your own epitaph there, sir Wink

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by rainbow-warrior Fri 06 Jun 2014, 9:55 am

SecretFly wrote:
rainbow-warrior wrote:what makes you think Wales are any worse than last season?  They are bigger and better in all honesty.

Jeez I bet you got the tissues out and drew the curtains for that one aye picard 
rainbow-warrior
rainbow-warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri 06 Jun 2014, 10:06 am

rainbow-warrior wrote:
SecretFly wrote:

Jeez I bet you got the tissues out and drew the curtains for that one aye picard 

So you're one of these unusual non-wan-ker humanbeings I take it?  Congratulations, finally glad I've met one, you're a rare breed.  How does it feel to be so 'pure'? Wink

Meanwhile though, back that ranch - if you leave a green bottle on the wall - yeah, I'll probably generally use a stone to shift it.  I'm mischievous like that, me.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by alive555 Fri 06 Jun 2014, 10:24 am

Biltong wrote:
George Carlin wrote:
MMaaxx wrote:http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vwBB6LwWcwU

Boks Scots Highlights
Scotland fans should stop watching at 1:09.
Some serious skills on display by the baby boks, wish our senior team would offload and run like that.

we are pretty useless at senior grade rugby but totally kack at under 20s. why ?  picard 

alive555

Back to top Go down

Post by rainbow-warrior Fri 06 Jun 2014, 10:37 am

SecretFly wrote:
rainbow-warrior wrote:
SecretFly wrote:

So you're one of these unusual non-wan-ker humanbeings I take it?  Congratulations, finally glad I've met one, you're a rare breed.  How does it feel to be so 'pure'? Wink

Meanwhile though, back that ranch - if you leave a green bottle on the wall - yeah, I'll probably generally use a stone to shift it.  I'm mischievous like that, me.

Yeah, you seem to be on that higher level for all things right handed.....doh!! don't tell me you're left handed...........either way well done, knock one out for us all aye OK 
rainbow-warrior
rainbow-warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri 06 Jun 2014, 10:58 am

rainbow-warrior wrote:

Yeah, you seem to be on that higher level for all things right handed.....doh!!  don't tell me you're left handed...........either way well done, knock one out for us all aye OK 

I'm afraid it don't work that way, rainbow. Me do the work and you reap the pleasure?
Nah...you really do need to get a good Sex Lessons for the Hard of Hearing text book if you want to become more proficient at the ancient Behind the Schoolyard Shed Benny Hill Humour gags.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by MMaaxx Fri 06 Jun 2014, 11:00 am

Massive win for the Baby Boks!

Considering the 5 injuries before the match and playing Baby Blacks at hme, this is one of SA's best sporting results in NZ.

Very impressive stuf indeed!

MMaaxx

Location : New place every week, live between SA, Porugal and UK

Back to top Go down

Post by MMaaxx Fri 06 Jun 2014, 11:05 am

I would like to see Meyer bring Pollard into the Rugby Championship squad, start him for the hoe Argentina game and blood him off the bench for the rest. He should be SA's 10 come the RWC,

MMaaxx

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorfour Fri 06 Jun 2014, 11:11 am

SecretFly wrote:
rainbow-warrior wrote:

Yeah, you seem to be on that higher level for all things right handed.....doh!!  don't tell me you're left handed...........either way well done, knock one out for us all aye OK 

I'm afraid it don't work that way, rainbow.  Me do the work and you reap the pleasure?  
Nah...you really do need to get a good Sex Lessons for the Hard of Hearing text book if you want to become more proficient at the ancient Behind the Schoolyard Shed Benny Hill Humour gags.

Oy! You two. Get a room!
Poorfour
Poorfour

Back to top Go down

Post by Dubbelyew L Overate Fri 06 Jun 2014, 11:15 am

So it looks likely to be England, Ireland and SA in the semis, with the Wales-France game to decide the seedings and whether it's NZ, Aus or France to make up the quartet.

Dubbelyew L Overate

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Fri 06 Jun 2014, 11:34 am

That's a great result for Ireland,assuming we beat Fiji with the bonus point we're guaranteed to make the semis for the first time ever.Just goes to show the huge amount of luck involved in this tournament as there have been stronger Irish team that haven't managed to do it.

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by whocares Fri 06 Jun 2014, 11:53 am

Dubbelyew L Overate wrote:So it looks likely to be England, Ireland and SA in the semis, with the Wales-France game to decide the seedings and whether it's NZ, Aus or France to make up the quartet.

if they win with a BP , Wales can still qualify as best 2nd (but guess they would also have to score loads of point!).

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Fri 06 Jun 2014, 12:02 pm

MMaaxx wrote:I would like to see Meyer bring Pollard into the Rugby Championship squad, start him for the hoe Argentina game and blood him off the bench for the rest. He should be SA's 10 come the RWC,

Too late MMaaxx

Not for 10. Had he been any othe rposition bar 10 I would have said perhaps yes... but 10 takes a long time to develop. Squad maybe in 2015 but not starting. SR is great and all but 50kg heavier packs, every single player you face is top class rather than every other player. Means 10 especially needs only the very best.

Remember SA have Goosen, Steyn (underrated, best clutch kicker in world rugby), Lambie and Catrakilis.

I'd probably say take Goosen, Steyn & Lambie for 2015 with Pollard running close.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Fri 06 Jun 2014, 12:08 pm

Can we read anything into this though about NZ?

Perhaps will be the first time they don't make the SF.... the 3rd year in a row they don't pick up the title.

Probably a blip to be honest but the SA team looks a lot bigger then they used to be. 3-4 years back they would get smashed physically by ENG & NZ. Not so much now. They're evolving.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Fri 06 Jun 2014, 12:12 pm

Its not just an issue of size, this South African deserves to be given credit for what they are doing throughout  two 40 minute instalments of play.

in other words, if there has been a better Under 20 team than that South African that played tonight , then I havent seen them.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by MMaaxx Fri 06 Jun 2014, 12:20 pm

Lambie and HP are the way to go for me. Goosen besides being injury prone is erratic.....I question his mental strength. Steyn will always leave us languishing in the backline, I agree he is underrated though and does add value. Pollard is far more well rounded and seems to be able to play a varied game.

By RWC 2015 he will have another season of S15, plus 15 or so Bok Caps. Playing outside FdP will make it alot easier as will the likes of Fourie, F Steyn etc in the back line.

That said, perhaps as the RWC is in England and the potential for wet miserable weather exists a player like M Steyn will be particularly useful.

MMaaxx

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Fri 06 Jun 2014, 1:25 pm

aucklandlaurie wrote:Its not just an issue of size, this South African deserves to be given credit for what they are doing throughout  two 40 minute instalments of play.

in other words, if there has been a better Under 20 team than that South African that played tonight , then I havent seen them.

In previous years the baby boks has the talent but they lacked the size to compete with the very best. Now that they have conditioned themselves better we're seeing them return to the top tier which is encouraging for the game.

Haven't seen the game yet but they're well experienced as much as U20 sides can be.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Fri 06 Jun 2014, 1:33 pm

Very chuffed about this win, I ad to record it as I had to work, but will watch it tonight.

Quite surprised that the Baby Boks managed this win to be honest.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next