The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The "All-in" Junior world cup thread

+53
Barney McGrew did it
propdavid_london
nobbled
Gunner
jelly
Exiledinborders
No 7&1/2
rodders
thebandwagonsociety
quinsforever
Cumbrian
Rugby Fan
Mad for Chelsea
kingraf
Hood83
DaveM
Sgt_Pooly
Portnoy's Complaint
Pal Joey
Geordie
kiakahaaotearoa
Scrumpy
brennomac
LeinsterFan4life
Welly
fa0019
Dubbelyew L Overate
Poorfour
alive555
whocares
Ozzy3213
GavinDragon
blackcanelion
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
lostinwales
asoreleftshoulder
rainbow-warrior
MMaaxx
Biltong
Dorothy_Mantooth
beshocked
HammerofThunor
The Great Aukster
sickofwendy
Notch
majesticimperialman
profitius
George Carlin
SecretFly
The Saint
BigTrevsbigmac
aucklandlaurie
Taylorman
57 posters

Page 6 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

The "All-in" Junior world cup thread - Page 6 Empty The "All-in" Junior world cup thread

Post by Taylorman Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:56 am

First topic message reminder :

With 6 games on today didnt feel like jumping around the various u20 posts for each side...

On now is Scotland vs SA- Scots ahead after 16 mins 5-0, now SA 7-5 after 18.

Wales are leading Fiji 14-5 after scoring a try after 7 seconds! An average kick of to the left was left to bounce by the Fijians and Wales came through at full pace catching the ball after the bounce and scored in the corner. Other than the ball bouncing I don't think you can get a quicker try.

Aus thrashed Argie 36-17.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

The "All-in" Junior world cup thread - Page 6 Empty Re: The "All-in" Junior world cup thread

Post by Exiledinborders Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:55 pm

DaveM wrote:Rob Andrew basking in a little glory:

England age group improvement
Well why shouldn't he? Over the years I have given him my share of flack but he was largely responsible for the partnership agreement with the PRL and he has put in place good systems for elite rugby development.

I can't say I like his style but he has done a good job.

Exiledinborders

Back to top Go down

The "All-in" Junior world cup thread - Page 6 Empty Re: The "All-in" Junior world cup thread

Post by No 7&1/2 Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:04 pm

rodders wrote:
quinsforever wrote:in that particular match ireland were also very significantly outskilled and outplayed. england clearly relaxed 2nd half with the final to come. what was it at half time 26-3? that wasnt JUST strength and conditioning, or england would have been more dominant in the 2nd half when conditioning counts for me...

I don't think the English players are fitter than ours. We just don't have the size and physicality across the forward pack.

The power deferential would be more pronounced in the first half where it was more structured - tailoring off in the second as the bigger guys tire and the game breaks up.

Well the results at this level don't really matter. If the Irish guys already match the skills etc of the English and the only thing we have over you at this level is size by the time it comes to seniors it all matches up anyway.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Exiledinborders Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:08 pm

rodders wrote:
DaveM wrote:
England smashed Ireland because we had the better players. We offloaded and moved the ball, and we picked angles, and Ireland couldn't handle it.

No England smashed Ireland because your players are on S&C programs earlier than ours so our pack weren't able to compete with the size and physicality. Most of our guys would only be a year into full time programmes at this level.

Sorry to burst your bubble.
That may be true but now English rugby has got its player development systems worked out, with fourteen academies together with the national academy all working well, it may well be that Ireland, Wales and Scotland may find it difficult to compete. In these things numbers matter. Not all players from the academies will develop but the bigger the pool higher the chance of producing top players.

For years England have under-performed due to amateurish set up. That looks like it is changing. Given the size of the system, they only need to be as efficient as other countries to produce the best teams. I am not sure whether this is really a good thing for 6N.

Exiledinborders

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:16 pm

I wouldn't mind a few years of us actually utilising all our resources. I'm sure a few years time they'll be a change up and it'll all come crashing down.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:19 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:
rodders wrote:
quinsforever wrote:in that particular match ireland were also very significantly outskilled and outplayed. england clearly relaxed 2nd half with the final to come. what was it at half time 26-3? that wasnt JUST strength and conditioning, or england would have been more dominant in the 2nd half when conditioning counts for me...

I don't think the English players are fitter than ours. We just don't have the size and physicality across the forward pack.

The power deferential would be more pronounced in the first half where it was more structured - tailoring off in the second as the bigger guys tire and the game breaks up.

Well the results at this level don't really matter. If the Irish guys already match the skills etc of the English and the only thing we have over you at this level is size by the time it comes to seniors it all matches up anyway.

Yeah I think results matter, their not the be all and end all but they do reinforce habits that they take through to senior level.

I should emphasise that I wasn't suggesting England and SA don't have skill, or inferior skills, just that they have in general more physicality and power which is a big advantage.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:26 pm

Fair enough. i think it's all about the development of skills here. Part of those skills will be physical obviously by the nature of the game. Someone shining in a beaten team can quite often more to a senior side.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:17 pm

Shocking first half from Ireland. Fair play to England, they've got their act together and have a load of good prospects coming through. They were my favourites at the start of the tournament and I think they'll beat the Boks because they've better players.

Ireland didn't play well but credit to the English defence for that. They got no time on the ball and the rucks and set pieces were contested by England. The Irish tackling was the worst aspect of it.

The tournament should be extended by a week with the IRB picking up the cost. Its crazy to expect players to play every 3/4 days.

One the topic of skills, well as usual NZ are right up there along with Australia and now England too. I think Ireland are right up there too actually. The Irish backline are all eligible next year apart from Kelleher and Wootton.

Also from an Ireland point of view its worth noting that in the last 2 seasons the U20 team has been weakened by injuries and withdrawals. Henshaw and Olding last year. O'Brien, John Madigan, Peter Robb, Dan Leavy, Craig Trenier, Adam Byrne, David Busby, all injured or withdrawn from this years squad and most if not all were starters. At the end of the day it hasn't been a bad year.

Next years group will be harder though. Ireland will have NZ, Argentina and Scotland in their group.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by blackcanelion Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:08 am

Pretty much nails it right on the button:

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2014/jun/18/england-under-20s-skilful-support-stuart-lancaster

Can't really dispute anything here. There are a number of commentators in NZ rugby that think we'll probably be alright because we take skillful players and put bulk on them later vs take big players and try and put skill on them. I'm not so sure.

The finals going to interesting. The feeling I get from reading Bilting is England look the goods.

blackcanelion

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:37 am

If we want to beat England we are going to have to play some rugby, I still don't know how we beat NZ in the semi, they made all the play and we only started playing some rugby when the time was almost up.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by blackcanelion Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:46 am

Biltong wrote:If we want to beat England we are going to have to play some rugby, I still don't know how we beat NZ in the semi, they made all the play and we only started playing some rugby when the time was almost up.

You were all over us like a rash at the end.......

blackcanelion

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:48 am

blackcanelion wrote:
Biltong wrote:If we want to beat England we are going to have to play some rugby, I still don't know how we beat NZ in the semi, they made all the play and we only started playing some rugby when the time was almost up.

You were all over us like a rash at the end.......
Yes, but why only then, why not play for 80 minutes?
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by thebandwagonsociety Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:57 am

I have the feeling Ireland are about to be put firmly back in their place in the next game. It isn't going to be pretty from an Irish perspective. A learning experience for the players will be the polite spin.

thebandwagonsociety

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:53 pm

blackcanelion wrote:Pretty much nails it right on the button:

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2014/jun/18/england-under-20s-skilful-support-stuart-lancaster

Can't really dispute anything here. There are a number of commentators in NZ rugby that think we'll probably be alright because we take skillful players and put bulk on them later vs take big players and try and put skill on them. I'm not so sure.

The finals going to interesting. The feeling I get from reading Bilting is England look the goods.

Its worked for NZ so far.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by jelly Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:32 pm

What time does the final kick off - UK time?

jelly

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy's Complaint Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:42 pm

jelly wrote:What time does the final kick off - UK time?
ESPN wrote:Fri 20 IRB U20s World Championship Final: England Under-20s v South Africa Under-20s, Auckland
19:35 local, 07:35 GMT, 08:35 BST

Portnoy's Complaint

Back to top Go down

Post by jelly Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:57 pm

Thanks

jelly

Back to top Go down

Post by Exiledinborders Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:45 pm

profitius wrote:
blackcanelion wrote:Pretty much nails it right on the button:

Its worked for NZ so far.
I am not sure that is correct. Age group rugby used to be dominated by NZ and subsequently the players dominated senior rugby. Now they are not the dominant force at under twenties. There is no precedent that says they will dominate senior rugby in the future.

Winning is a habit. Secondly I have seen nothing to indicate that NZ are more skilful at the junior levels.

Exiledinborders

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:44 am

England looking good so far. SA players already puffing after 8 mins. 0-0

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:46 am

ref making big errors at the scrum, SA LH going sideways every time and he hasnt spotted it...fingers crossed the TJ has a word in his ear

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:49 am

who is this ref he is hopeless. was a clear knock-on, didnt touch his knee. ridiculous.

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:51 am

Anyone know the Ireland score. Had to leave for work just after half time.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:52 am

England get a penalty, the Baby Boks could have been penalised for about five different things in that passage of play.
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Gunner Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:52 am

Miracle of miracles.
Fox Sport Asia is playing the 3 games this afternoon.
Some big boys playing.

Gunner

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:54 am

Baby Blacks won it 45-23. As far as I saw Ireland were well in it until about 50 minutes.
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:54 am

watch the SA LH go sideways and the ref do nothing again...he's standing on the wrong side of the scrum... picard 

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:55 am

bad decision by england 9 to tap and go from own 22 there. led straight to SA try

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:56 am

I suppose that is a lucky try as well?
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:56 am

That was the England scrum half's fault. What a stupid decision, a quick tap and throw it to an isolated LH prop with 70 meters to go.
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:58 am

are you watching the game bilt? do you disagree with the scrum mistakes? even the backs commentating have mentioned it...

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:59 am

and yes since you mention it the SA try was lucky in that england's 9 tapped and went with a pen from in his own 22 then threw possession straight to SA. nice chip kick though.

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:00 am

did i really just hear the commentator say "SA looking to carry on at speed..."  picard 

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:05 am

can we sub the ref? i think he's used to RL scrums...

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:06 am

Who is the ref...wheres he from?
And whats the score

Last edited by GeordieFalcon on Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:07 am; edited 1 time in total

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:07 am

should have been 3 scrum penalties to england so far. the ref refuses to come to the SA LH side

this is a joke.

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:07 am

he sounds south african, strangely.

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:08 am

Score currently 10-3 to the boks. Updates on planet rugby

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:11 am

'Ben O'Keeffe of New Zealand will referee the Final of the 2014 Junior World Championship'

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:11 am

ben o'keeffe from NZ

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by nobbled Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:12 am

England confidence seems low.
Line out not going well. Poor choices.
nobbled
nobbled

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:13 am

Well he's got a bit of a boot on him!
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by nobbled Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:13 am

England going for 56 yard penalty - got it! 10-6
nobbled
nobbled

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:13 am

Sh*t, big kick that

Back to top Go down

Post by Gunner Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:14 am

Huge Kick.

Gunner

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:14 am

56 metre pen kick sailed over by aaron morris. wow! nice weapon to have in your arsenal.

lets hope someone has a word with the ref about scrums at half-tiume

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:14 am

pollard should get a yello for that. but no chance this ref is going to give it.

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:15 am

what did i tell you. worst ref display i have ever seen in an intl match at any level so far.

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:15 am

even the commentators said that was a yellow, and one is a saffer!

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:16 am

Get in! Great try from England.
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by nobbled Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:16 am

Try!!!!!!
nobbled
nobbled

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:16 am

beautiful try england. tomkins broke 5 tackles, walk-in for earle in the corner

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next