The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Dew Drop Inn Virtual Rugby Pub, Bridgend

+29
Biltong
Dave.
Cari
perthshirepuma
PJHolybloke
Rava
Suspicious lurker
Hound_of_Harrow
Ozzy3213
Driver
prop_lyd
Artful_Dodger
Notch
WillyGilly
ChequeredJersey
Rory_Gallagher
Glas a du
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
Pete330v2
red_stag
rodders
PenfroPete
Gibson
MBTGOG
Thomond
Pal Joey
Mickado
Luckless Pedestrian
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
33 posters

Page 12 of 21 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 16 ... 21  Next

Go down

The Dew Drop Inn Virtual Rugby Pub, Bridgend - Page 12 Empty The Dew Drop Inn Virtual Rugby Pub, Bridgend

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Thu 19 Jul 2012, 2:47 pm

First topic message reminder :

Hello and welcome to the Dew Drop Inn, a place where you can come in for a sly beverage and discuss whatever's on your mind, or just eavesdrop on the regulars if you fancy a break from all the rugby chat.

This week the pub has set up in Bridgend, the birthplace of ex Wales and Lions centre Dr. Jack Matthews, who has sadly passed away.

The only rule in this pub is one of mutual respect for everyone in it, oh and no tampering with the pictures of Dr Jack Matthews and his Welsh centres partner Bleddyn Williams.

Ale cake cuppa tomato egg coffee mug guinness cider raspberry RedWine Bubbly

Previous Pub: https://www.606v2.com/t32320p950-the-dew-drop-inn-virtual-antananarivo-arms-madagascar

Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

The Dew Drop Inn Virtual Rugby Pub, Bridgend - Page 12 Empty Re: The Dew Drop Inn Virtual Rugby Pub, Bridgend

Post by Thomond Sat 21 Jul 2012, 11:39 am

Go and ask the Governor of Colorado that Munsty. It's the laws in public that are the issue. People who are saying the President can come in and clamp down. He can't do much.

You follow the Eagles? Huh, forgot that, have a look at that anyway if you get a chance has nothing to do with the Eagles but the campaign itself is pretty interesting. Need soem questions fro mthe users of V2 and have to do some research myself.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

The Dew Drop Inn Virtual Rugby Pub, Bridgend - Page 12 Empty Re: The Dew Drop Inn Virtual Rugby Pub, Bridgend

Post by rodders Sat 21 Jul 2012, 11:40 am

Hoog wrote:
So really what I'm trying to say is, its not the gun that's the problem its the mindset of the holder

No that is the mistake. You can't kill with a mindset, the gun is th faciltater of the actions. Thats like saying Iran would be the same problem with or without nuclear capabilities.

In terms of clay pidgeon shooting, I am not against this but what I don't agree with is that you need to own a gun to do it and crucially take the gun of the premises which allows it to be used for other less legitimate purposes.

I did not say no good person owns a gun. Some of my family were farmers and owned a gun because they needed to. In urban life they are simply not necessary.

rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by MBTGOG Sat 21 Jul 2012, 11:44 am

Intercept try to the Sharks. McLeod picks off a skip pass by Genia who is play stand off.

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Sat 21 Jul 2012, 11:46 am

Go to Compton Rodders and I'd say you would feel differently! Or parts of Baltimore even Miami is a bit of a hole.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sat 21 Jul 2012, 11:49 am

Thomond wrote:Go to Compton Rodders and I'd say you would feel differently! Or parts of Baltimore even Miami is a bit of a hole.

...but then a big part of the reason those areas are so unsafe is the criminal element there have guns. Lots of guns Headscratch
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Sat 21 Jul 2012, 11:51 am

Illegal guns. A guy who has priors will not get a gun in the state of California.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Sat 21 Jul 2012, 11:52 am

No I wouldn't Thomond. I've had enough exposure to guns, I don't need anymore.

There is nothing good about them. They are designed to kill and injure and in all but the rarest circumstances (and perhaps even then) killing and inuring is wrong.

Therefore its a black and white one for me, there should be very little guns in circulation in a democratic, modern society and those that are should be absolutely necessary and very, very tightly controlled.

Have a great day everyone guinness
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sat 21 Jul 2012, 11:54 am

Yeah, but its not hard to get a hold of them at all because you can just give your mate/brother/someone with a clean record some money to get 'em. Once guns are easy to get a hold of legally you're feeding a huge black market in weapons.

I mean, along the Mexican border thats a huge problem. Lots of hispanic lads with whistle clean records coming in buying assault weapons. Where are they going? Smuggled across the border into the arms of the big drugs cartels.

Last edited by Notch on Sat 21 Jul 2012, 11:57 am; edited 1 time in total
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by MBTGOG Sat 21 Jul 2012, 11:57 am

The Reds will not give up on this game. Their fight is incredible.

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sat 21 Jul 2012, 11:58 am

MBTGOG wrote:The Reds will not give up on this game. Their fight is incredible.

Too many errors and turnovers, too little end product. They are playing so well. But just turning over at the crucial moment. So frustrating for them.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sat 21 Jul 2012, 12:01 pm

Oh so close! What a pass from Bismarck Du Plessis. Brilliant stuff from the Shorks.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by MBTGOG Sat 21 Jul 2012, 12:03 pm

I think that also shows how good the Sharks have been.

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by Suspicious lurker Sat 21 Jul 2012, 12:11 pm

In terms of clay pigeon shooting it is almost vital to own your own gun, every gun will have its own little variables in it and to get to a decent standard its essential to be fully familiar with the gun use
Suspicious lurker
Suspicious lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sat 21 Jul 2012, 12:12 pm

Munsty,

What a wonderful defensive effort from the Sharks it's been since half-time.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by MBTGOG Sat 21 Jul 2012, 12:13 pm

Watching this game just makes you wonder even more how du Plessis didn't start start for the Bokke at the RWC.

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Sat 21 Jul 2012, 12:20 pm

Fantastic performance from the Sharks. clap Congrats Biltong!
The Reds threw everything at them in that 2nd half but could not break the Sharks resolve to defend as if their lives depended on it. Well played.

Parramatta has beaten Melbourne 16-10... that's 6 losses in recent times for the Storm now. btw, Ricky Stuart has signed on as the Eels coach starting next season.

Souths 30 Saints 14 in the other game...5 mins to go.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Sat 21 Jul 2012, 12:33 pm

rodders wrote:Maybe there is no compromise in my view in this because I grew up and still live in a society where people with firearms terrorise their own communities. Cowards and thugs who would be nothing without the weapons they wield. I walk past these people in the street and they are nothing, not hard or dangerous or scary. Cross them and they pick up their guns blow your kneecaps out, if you are lucky.

Its the same in areas of the US and mainland Britain would be the same if the gun laws were relaxed.

People say its not the guns, its the people. Well I say bad people exist everywhere but that it's the guns that empower them to carry out actions they wouldn't otherwise be able to.

That is kind of the point though Rodders, isn't it? These people have access to guns when they aren't even legal here. They would get it whether it is legal or not. I know what you are saying, like obviously defending yourself against a knife or fists is a different story from defending yourself against a gun, but these guys are getting the guns either way. Like you said though, the guys who use them to harm people are cowards. The paramilitaries who walk about like they own the place in certain communities are a bunch of losers.

However, there is absolutely nothing wrong with the likes of Hoog owning a gun for pigeon shooting. I don't see why that is a problem. I am sure he is very capable of handling the weapon and knows the safety precautions.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Sat 21 Jul 2012, 12:35 pm

Also that game was fantastic, for some reason we had sky sports this weekend so I managed to catch this game live. Usually I have to watch the games on youtube when they are available.

The sharks really do differ in play from the SA national team. They produce some extraordinary stuff with ball in hand.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Sat 21 Jul 2012, 12:38 pm

Hoog wrote:In terms of clay pigeon shooting it is almost vital to own your own gun, every gun will have its own little variables in it and to get to a decent standard its essential to be fully familiar with the gun use

That is fair point but I still believe that the benefits of recreational use of firearms to the owner are outweighed by the potential damage that can be done by the weapon if not used for its intended purpose. I'm not against shooting sports per se that don't involve live targets or necessary forms of hunting and vermin/predator control using guns but generally speaking I believe there are very few legitimate reasons why anyone should own a gun.

We'll have to agree to disagree guinness .
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Sat 21 Jul 2012, 12:55 pm

You don't use a nice over and under to hold up a bank.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Sat 21 Jul 2012, 12:57 pm

Rory_Gallagher wrote:
That is kind of the point though Rodders, isn't it? These people have access to guns when they aren't even legal here. They would get it whether it is legal or not.

Absolutely but pretty much everything would be legal if you use that argument. I'm not discussing Irish politics here but from a purely functional perspective I would prefer that the current active paramilitaries were forced to use the remnants of those acquired during the height of the troubles than be able to walk into their local high street shop and acquire more.

If people want to acquire firearms then they will but that doesn't mean it should be legalised or made easier.

I don't want to live in a society were metal detectors are needed in schools and cinemas.

rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Sat 21 Jul 2012, 12:58 pm

Things not going well for young McIlroy Sad .
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Sat 21 Jul 2012, 1:02 pm

MBTGOG wrote:If the Tigers don't do it, I'd like to see the Rabbitohs pull it off. I saw the highlights for that game against the Roosters and that is one of the best finishes to a game I've seen.

Maybe it's possible after another great performance from them tonight.
They've won 9 of their last 11 matches and are sitting in 3rd place.
If the Sharkies win tomorrow against Canberra and the Cowboys win on Monday night, then Brisbane will drop from 3rd to 6th.
If the Tigers win against the Cowboys - then the Top 8 will be more clearly defined with a 4-point gap to the Warriors in 9th place.

NRL Table updated after Saturday night's games.
https://www.606v2.com/t27604p50-nrl-results-and-table

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sat 21 Jul 2012, 1:13 pm

On the gun debate, I'm reading the Handmaids Tale right now by Margaret Atwood. She has a great line it when she says there are two kinds of freedom. Freedom to and freedom from.

What I don't understand about America is why the Freedom To Bear Arms is seen as more important than the Freedom From being afraid of psychopaths and criminals who can get easy access to weapons.

You can't stop people from getting guns altogether, as the tragic case of Anders Breivik in Norway shows, but surely it's a smart idea to limit as much as possible.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Sat 21 Jul 2012, 1:24 pm

rodders wrote:Things not going well for young McIlroy Sad .

Since he started going out with that tennis witch
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Sat 21 Jul 2012, 1:33 pm

Wow just got a Tommy Bowe postcard from Ulster branch through the post. Happy times Smile guinness

I concur Notch.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by perthshirepuma Sat 21 Jul 2012, 1:37 pm

I agree with whoever said earlier that nobody was ever killed by mindset, just by the gun in the hand of the person with the wrong mindset. But .. in Switzerland 80% of the population who are male, aged between 19 and 32 and deemed mentally and physically fit to carry out their national military service undergo 18 weeks basic training, then x weeks every year (not sure how many) duty. The point being that every one of them is required to keep their personal weapon (automatic assault rifle thingy) at home, under lock and key obviously. So maybe training everyone to have the right mindset is the key - they are armed to the teeth, but when do you ever hear of random/mass shooting sprees there?

perthshirepuma

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Sat 21 Jul 2012, 2:30 pm

Interesting Puma, I don't think guns are the issue. They don't kill people, people kill people. Florida is the area I have most experience with and I have been shooting there and the guy who ran the shop and range trained FHIP (Florida Highway Patrol), besides being incredibly accurate (not part of my point but 5 bullets, left in the chamber, 5 dead centre, Holy halloween.)

These are the kind of guys to listen to, they are in the business and know what they are on about, Florida's laws seem to be relatively open (look at George Zimmerman/Trayvon Martin case) however this man was in favour of stricter measures. You don't need a permit to purchase a handgun. Yet as far as I'm aware they have had no mass murderings, why education. This man also holds classes on proper gun use and the whole concealed weapons thing. Not everyone will agree but it's education and the laws that need to be looked at, you will not get peiople to stop using guns and many enjoy it as a sport, heck I enjoyed shooting at a range, I tihnk most would.

Spoiler:

In other less controversial news. I just had a kick ass training session, great work, some great sprinting, nice tag rugby and I feel great. It was tough but paid off. Nice.

Stag, both of their games seemed to have declined since they started going out, maybe a breakup would be beneficial. She is a looker though.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Sat 21 Jul 2012, 2:35 pm

There are lots of reasons to own a gun- my cousin in Australia had one to shoot predators if they tried to eat his sheep
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by MBTGOG Sat 21 Jul 2012, 3:13 pm

Guns don't kill people, rappers do,
I saw it on a documentary on BBC 2

Well if we are worried about the mindset of people, surely you think then it is a good idea to make it as hard as possible for these people to get them?

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Sat 21 Jul 2012, 3:16 pm

Exactly, which is pretty mcuh what I have been saying. You know the laws on carrying them in public and in general. Have I not been saying the laws are the problem?

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Sat 21 Jul 2012, 3:27 pm

MBTGOG wrote:Guns don't kill people, rappers do,
I saw it on a documentary on BBC 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vX4ETlCr4A

You lads seen Dreamers blog article on Munster yet?..... Whistle
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Sat 21 Jul 2012, 3:32 pm

Replied and everything Rodders, it has a great deal of truth to it. This video displays my feelings.

Spoiler:

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Sat 21 Jul 2012, 3:33 pm

Is there a link to the blog?

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Sat 21 Jul 2012, 3:33 pm

http://cornelsiobhan.wordpress.com/2012/07/21/pro-12-season-preview-munster/comment-page-1/#comment-40

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by MBTGOG Sat 21 Jul 2012, 3:40 pm

Just read it now. Hard not to agree with it but it is the popular consensus at the moment. There's something though about the new players, young and signings along with a new coach which I think bodes well. But that is purely a gut feeling.

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Sat 21 Jul 2012, 3:43 pm

Getting that a bit with the Buccaneers too at the moment, not as bad as Munster, but the only way is up for the Baby Bucs!

As I said on the blog I think we are a few years away from competing but we are doing a nice rebuild job.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Sat 21 Jul 2012, 3:45 pm

Oh no its a well written piece all right, a bit harsh on Munster I thought personally. Just wondering if yous had read it.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Sat 21 Jul 2012, 3:46 pm

Rodders, there's some truths Munster fans won't face like the whole ROG past it thing. You could argue he has been for 2 years.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Sat 21 Jul 2012, 3:47 pm

Interesting read, very well written indeed.

"Their inability to produce home grown centres and props is a worry."

This applies for every province in certain positions. The really annoying thing is, that a position where Munster are weak, might be a position of strength for Ulster. A position where Leinster are weak, might be a position of strength for Munster. For example, Munster could do with signing the likes Fitzpatrick, Macklin or Furlong at tighthead. All IQ players, who need game time. Ulster could do with a few of the IQ back row options, who also need game time.

The IRFU need to wise up, and start using their brains here. There are young players who need game time, who could get that game time elsewhere. Not only that, but help out another province in the process. All in all, it would be beneficial for both the provincial teams and the international team as more options are getting more experience, and key positions where we are weak, are being strengthened.

I seriously don't understand why that hasn't been looked at.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Sat 21 Jul 2012, 3:53 pm

I read the Leinster piece underneath, and I can't agree one bit that Nacewa is relied on by Leinster. I have never seen him carry the team in the Pro 12. Many Leinster players have really shined this season in the Pro 12, most notably Madigan who I feel has been instrumental in their Pro 12 success, even more so than Nacewa. Nacewa is an exceptional player who can produce moments of magic from nothing, but I don't think he has carried Leinster through the Pro 12.

Other players to shine in the Pro 12 this year for Leinster are Auva'a, Kearney Jr, O'Malley, Carr, Jennings and Toner. Dominic Ryan was a real loss in that competition, and I think he is going to have a huge year. In the few games he played, he was very good. IMO he is just as talented as O'Mahony.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Sat 21 Jul 2012, 3:56 pm

Guys I'm the guilty one for bringing it up but I'd rather not discuss Dreamers articles directly whilst she isn't on here. I don't think its right to do that, commenting on the blog is probably better.

Sorry my fault guinness .
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Sat 21 Jul 2012, 4:00 pm

Afternoon All coffee

Apologies for not reading back, this is the first time I've posted in this new gaff. Absolutely knackered I am, but it'll be worth it once I'm paid. I have to say, going to work at six on a Saturday morning around here is a bit of an eye opener...and at times entertaining.

Tommy! Where's MY postcard?! Cry

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Sat 21 Jul 2012, 4:02 pm

Dubs tomorrow Cari, should win handily. Will be on Firstrow so take a look there. Others and then you will find it from thee. They had the Cork game on in Britain last week when it wasn't even live on Irish TV!

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Sat 21 Jul 2012, 4:06 pm

Indeed Thomond, the Boys in Blue are out and at them...I hope they do win. I would go down to O'Neills to watch it, but in all honestly I think I'm too tired, plus I've stuff to do around the house, so I'll try online. I suppose they were broadcasting under the assumption that the majority of the population of Cork has resttled in Britain. Very Happy

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Sat 21 Jul 2012, 4:08 pm

It will be there, have checked it out and they're a cert now. I think it was that RTE were only allowed pick one for live broadcast but would have commentators and cameras there for The Sunday Game. Half of Cork watched it via the internet!

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Sat 21 Jul 2012, 4:10 pm

Thomond wrote: Half of Cork watched it via the internet!

All gathered around the same PC... Wink

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Sat 21 Jul 2012, 4:12 pm

Now, now you Welsh can't be bashful. Sheeps galore and all that. Also hooking the PC/Laptop to the TV is where it's at!

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Sat 21 Jul 2012, 4:14 pm

Oh now you're getting too technical for me...I'd love to get the net on my big telly. Do you need special leads/cables?

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Sat 21 Jul 2012, 4:19 pm

Yeah, A hdmi cable if your laptop/PC has a Hdmi slot which looks like this, unless your tv is a good 10 years old it will have a HDMI slot.

Spoiler:

Or if your PC/Laptop doesn't have HDMI like some don't a VGA slot which looks like this will do. VGA cable will have to be bought
Spoiler:

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 12 of 21 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 16 ... 21  Next