The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Dew Drop Inn Virtual Antananarivo Arms, Madagascar

+27
PJHolybloke
Mickado
brennomac
MBTGOG
eirebilly
Ozzy3213
perthshirepuma
Biltong
red_stag
WillyGilly
prop_lyd
Gibson
littleswannygirl
Cari
Thomond
rodders
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
Driver
Hound_of_Harrow
PenfroPete
Glas a du
Luckless Pedestrian
Notch
Rory_Gallagher
Pal Joey
Rava
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
31 posters

Page 20 of 21 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21  Next

Go down

The Dew Drop Inn Virtual Antananarivo Arms, Madagascar - Page 20 Empty The Dew Drop Inn Virtual Antananarivo Arms, Madagascar

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Tue 10 Jul 2012, 11:49 am

First topic message reminder :

Hello and welcome to the Antananarivo Arms Virtual Rugby Pub - a place where you can come in for a sly beverage and discuss whatever's on your mind, or just eavesdrop on the regulars if you fancy a break from all the rugby chat.

The Pub has made it's way to Madagascar, where 35,000 raucous fans recently watched the home side upset Namibia in a 110-point thriller.

The only rule in this pub is one of mutual respect for everyone in it, oh and no tampering with the pictures of the Madagascan team war dance, Japan/NRL-bound Sonny-Bill Williams, Bradley Wiggins and the prematurely-retired Mark Boucher above the bar.

Ale cake cuppa tomato egg coffee mug guinness cider raspberry RedWine Bubbly

Old Pub: https://www.606v2.com/t32066-the-dew-drop-inn-virtual-rugby-pub-oxford

Last edited by Kiwireddevil on Thu 19 Jul 2012, 2:46 pm; edited 2 times in total
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

The Dew Drop Inn Virtual Antananarivo Arms, Madagascar - Page 20 Empty Re: The Dew Drop Inn Virtual Antananarivo Arms, Madagascar

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu 19 Jul 2012, 1:25 pm

With supplements, the clue is in the name. If you exercise, have a good protein-rich diet and supplement it with a protein shake or similar, then it'll have a beneficial effect. If you eat cr@p and expect a couple of protein shakes to transform your physique, then you're going to be disappointed.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

The Dew Drop Inn Virtual Antananarivo Arms, Madagascar - Page 20 Empty Re: The Dew Drop Inn Virtual Antananarivo Arms, Madagascar

Post by rodders Thu 19 Jul 2012, 1:26 pm

Thomond mainstream brands are very unlikely to contain any banned substance, I'm not talking about dodgy stuff on the internet.

If a brand stocked at Tescos and endorsed by 100s of pro athletes contained a banned substance can you imagine the scandal? It is very unlikely.

Yes I'd say a lot of these suppliments it comes down to a placebo as much as anything, especially with sports energy drinks, ginsing etc....
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Thu 19 Jul 2012, 1:29 pm

That's a bit to do with it Lucky, some think those shakes just magically help. I have never taken them, but have considered it before don't think I will but we'll see. I know that a great deal of underage rugby palyers take them.

I think some of them give the appearance of strength but not always make you strong. If I remember my biology (good chance I don't) Creatine is a substance in the body anyway but it's main purpose is to retain water, so that's basically what the Creatine supplements do. It also helps in the Glycolitic energy system. ATP breaks down to ADP etc.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Thu 19 Jul 2012, 1:37 pm

If you want to know the impact of illegal substances watch the tour de France and Olympics.

90% of what you see is illegally enhanced. No question.

Creatine certainly helps performance but the cheaper brands taste disgusting.

Protein suppliments are generally useless unless you are doing massive volumes of training and taking anabolic steroids...although a protein/carb mix before and after training is useful if you can't get a decent meal. If you don't get a carb based meal and a small bit of protein within 90min of training it has a massive impact on recovery.

Powerade and lucozade is useless but it tastes nice. 3 cups of Coffee is the best stimulant I've taken.

Thats my experience anyways.

rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by MBTGOG Thu 19 Jul 2012, 1:42 pm

rodders wrote:Well I don't define drugs, I go by the definition provided by the scientific and medical community and in terms of sporting legality the relevent governing bodies too.

Earning money for playing rugby used to be an illegal activity.

What I'm saying basically is just because it is legal now doesn't make it right or wrong.

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete330v2 Thu 19 Jul 2012, 1:44 pm

"Powerade and lucozade is useless but it tastes nice. 3 cups of Coffee is the best stimulant I've taken.

Thats my experience anyways."

If it works for Darren Cave then why not Rodders Smile

Pete330v2

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Thu 19 Jul 2012, 1:44 pm

Yeah, they kind of made that point in the programme as well. I think just consistently doing it is the best way to build strength 2/3 times a work, maybe 4 of about an hours work and you will get results, it will be slow at first but you will get there.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete330v2 Thu 19 Jul 2012, 1:45 pm

MBTGOG wrote:
rodders wrote:Well I don't define drugs, I go by the definition provided by the scientific and medical community and in terms of sporting legality the relevent governing bodies too.

What I'm saying basically is just because it is legal now doesn't make it right or wrong.

Absolutely right Munsty, I mean drinking alcohol and/or smoking is pretty wrong but still legal. Thanks be to god!!!

Pete330v2

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Thu 19 Jul 2012, 1:46 pm

Thomond wrote:
I think some of them give the appearance of strength but not always make you strong. If I remember my biology (good chance I don't) Creatine is a substance in the body anyway but it's main purpose is to retain water, so that's basically what the Creatine supplements do. It also helps in the Glycolitic energy system. ATP breaks down to ADP etc.

Yeah I'm a bit foggy on it but the bolded part is the key one. Creatine is used by the ATP energy system which is the initial system your body uses in the 1st few seconds of intense exercise before it starts breaking down glycogen and working anaerobically.

Therefore taking a additional creatine is supposedly useful if you do power based high intensity sport.

I don't think its a great idea myself and possibly not great for the kidneys to be taking pure creatine long term but don't know enough about it.

Point is its not illegal or unethical and if people want to use creatine suppliments then fair enough.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Thu 19 Jul 2012, 1:48 pm

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:What's the rainbow all about, anyway? No one's ever told me.

You dont know about the Rainbow, Lucky? Man. Sometimes I wonder ya know...
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu 19 Jul 2012, 1:50 pm

I do now, Gibbo. Mickado's the font of all pink knowledge. Wink

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Thu 19 Jul 2012, 1:51 pm

MBTGOG wrote:

I'm not sure what point you are making Munsty?

I'm making a clear distinction between legal dietary suppliments and performance enhancing drugs because on every level they are different. Legally, scientifically and morally.

Clearly you disagree so would you care to elaborate?

rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Thu 19 Jul 2012, 1:51 pm

Glas a du wrote:
Thomond wrote:It's mainly just lifting and twisting with them isn't it? I wasn't at a class or anything but did some exercises with it recently. Easy enough to feic up your back with them.

Which of the above topics is this on?

I was thinking that. I really thought this Pub was evolving there for second. Ah well.

Last edited by Gibson on Thu 19 Jul 2012, 1:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Thu 19 Jul 2012, 1:52 pm

We're on the last page for this pub folks, get your venue and pic nominations in please Smile
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Thu 19 Jul 2012, 1:52 pm

Cork, it's great.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Thu 19 Jul 2012, 1:52 pm

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:I do now, Gibbo. Mickado's the font of all pink knowledge. Wink

Ladyboys cut both ways me darlin. Its in our interest to know these tings. We are Metro-sexual roysh.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu 19 Jul 2012, 1:55 pm

Does this apply to all Leinster players, too?

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by MBTGOG Thu 19 Jul 2012, 1:59 pm

Kiwi,

Chester please.

Rodders,

What I'm saying is just because a institution defines something as legal, does not mean it's right.

Also, I would argue that morally it is not right either on the same level as drugs as it is pushing someone to beyond where their body is able to go naturally.

I probably wouldn't have such a problem with it but I have heard quite a few doctors voice their concerns on the subject and I would trust that considering they have personal concerns.

But you know what, I think by focusing on substances, we move away from the major problem and that is the attitudes that are prevalent in sports where athletes are pressured into taking drugs or supplements as they feel that is the only way they can compete.

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Thu 19 Jul 2012, 1:59 pm

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:Does this apply to all Leinster players, too?

Most all. Bit worried about Mike Ross. But hey, he's a blow-in.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 19 Jul 2012, 2:02 pm

Picture nominations Dr Jack Matthews (RIP), Kiwi. In fact the pub could be Bridgend for him too, unless something better comes up.

Afternoon all by the way

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Thu 19 Jul 2012, 2:02 pm

MBTGOG wrote:Kiwi,

Chester please.

Rodders,

What I'm saying is just because a institution defines something as legal, does not mean it's right.

Also, I would argue that morally it is not right either on the same level as drugs as it is pushing someone to beyond where their body is able to go naturally.

I probably wouldn't have such a problem with it but I have heard quite a few doctors voice their concerns on the subject and I would trust that considering they have personal concerns.

But you know what, I think by focusing on substances, we move away from the major problem and that is the attitudes that are prevalent in sports where athletes are pressured into taking drugs or supplements as they feel that is the only way they can compete.

I agree. Professionalism Munsty? Anyone remember when the Olympics were Amateur? Its not so long ago. Now, its fully Pro. How did that happen? Oh yeah. Corporatians and Muny. Phookin Yanks!
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Hound_of_Harrow Thu 19 Jul 2012, 2:02 pm

How about Bridgend for the new pub; the birthpkace of ex Wales and Lions centre Dr. Jack Matthews, who has sadly passed away.

Hound_of_Harrow

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Thu 19 Jul 2012, 2:03 pm

It's not the Olympics that are the only problem, it happens in pretty much every sport.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by PenfroPete Thu 19 Jul 2012, 2:04 pm

Pete330v2 wrote: I mean drinking alcohol is pretty wrong but still legal.
WTF Shocked

Nominations for location - anywhere but blydi Ireland again Whistle (Bridgend would be good though OK )

Nomination for photo above the bar -
DR JACK MATTHEWS R.I.P.
PenfroPete
PenfroPete

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Thu 19 Jul 2012, 2:04 pm

Hound_of_Harrow wrote:How about Bridgend for the new pub; the birthpkace of ex Wales and Lions centre Dr. Jack Matthews, who has sadly passed away.

Rev, Penfrown and Hound, that sounds like a top choice lads. OK
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Hound_of_Harrow Thu 19 Jul 2012, 2:06 pm

Rev - telepathic mun Shocked

Hound_of_Harrow

Back to top Go down

Post by MBTGOG Thu 19 Jul 2012, 2:06 pm

Gibson wrote:
MBTGOG wrote:Kiwi,

Chester please.

Rodders,

I agree. Professionalism Munsty? Anyone remember when the Olympics were Amateur? Its not so long ago. Now, its fully Pro. How did that happen? Oh yeah. Corporatians and Muny. Phookin Yanks!

Not necessarily the fault of the Yanks Gibbo. People have always wanted to be paid for money but in Europe it was tougher to bring through changes where money was involved as there was a very powerful ruling class who saw sports as a hobby and didn't see a need for it to be taken away from the amateur ranks.

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by PenfroPete Thu 19 Jul 2012, 2:10 pm

Hound_of_Harrow wrote:Rev - telepathetic mun Shocked

Fixed for you - no charge thumbsup
PenfroPete
PenfroPete

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Thu 19 Jul 2012, 2:12 pm

Munsty, I know in Europe it was hard on top athletes to train and work. As you say the Ruling Classes (as in Rugby & football) paid them a pittance in expenses. So, yeah a sportsperson should be paid what they're worth. But not 200 grand a week for Dwayne Rooney to be a scally.

Coporations have fed it and it is totally out of hand now.

Last edited by Gibson on Thu 19 Jul 2012, 2:15 pm; edited 2 times in total
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Thu 19 Jul 2012, 2:13 pm

You know what Gibbo? I don't remember when the Olympics was amateur and just about sport. Smile

I was born in 1988. In 1980 and 1984 the Olympics had already become less about sport and the amateur ethos than Cold War politics. No it's less overtly political but a massive corporate behemoth.

The older generation of the pub might remember the spirit of amateurism in the Olympics, but it was twisted from that before I was even born when the Americans and Soviets started boycotting games.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Thu 19 Jul 2012, 2:15 pm

It's worse in America Gibbo but I agree, getting paid 200k a weeks or $6/7 million dollars a year is a joke. One fella signed a 100 million dollar contract over 5 years this week. He is getting paid 40 this year alone. Feicing ridiculous altogether.

As long as people go tow watch it will continue to happen though.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Thu 19 Jul 2012, 2:16 pm

MBTGOG wrote:Rodders,

Munsty that is the comment I would disagree with. On what basis do you say that?

Is someone who eats 5 chicken breasts a day doing something different to someone who takes a couple of protein shakes? Is eating an orange or an apple different to having a multivitamin?

Sorry but these comments a are very naive or else I am misinterpreting.

All hard training is pushing your body beyond what it can do naturally, that is the point.

PEDs take it to a level beyond which it can adapt to through training alone, dietary suppliments do not.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Thu 19 Jul 2012, 2:17 pm

Notch wrote:You know what Gibbo? I don't remember when the Olympics was amateur and just about sport. Smile

I was born in 1988. In 1980 and 1984 the Olympics had already become less about sport and the amateur ethos than Cold War politics. No it's less overtly political but a massive corporate behemoth.

The older generation of the pub might remember the spirit of amateurism in the Olympics, but it was twisted from that before I was even born when the Americans and Soviets started boycotting games.

All true Notch. The rise of sport as a political weapon, came before the big shekels. Hated that too. Men & women trained for 6 - 8 years sometimes and missed out on the biggest moments of their lives, because of a few control-freak looneys on both sides.

Last edited by Gibson on Thu 19 Jul 2012, 2:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Hound_of_Harrow Thu 19 Jul 2012, 2:18 pm

I read about Dr. Jack in tge papee this morning, but was too busy to post anything earlier. Odd that three of us came up with the same suggestion almost at the same time.

Hound_of_Harrow

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 19 Jul 2012, 2:18 pm

PenfroPete wrote:
Hound_of_Harrow wrote:Rev - telepathetic mun Shocked

Fixed for you - no charge thumbsup

laughing

I did laugh when I saw it Hound

Back to top Go down

Post by MBTGOG Thu 19 Jul 2012, 2:19 pm

Gibson wrote:Munsty, I know in Europe it was hard on top athletes to train and work. As you say the Ruling Classes (as in Rugby & football) paid them a pittance in expenses. So, yeah a sportsperson should be paid what they're worth. But not 200 grand a week for Dwayne Rooney to be a scally.

Corporations have fed it but they did not start it. If you're really looking for the problems, it's the greed and pride of these people pursuing these large sums of money.

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by MBTGOG Thu 19 Jul 2012, 2:23 pm

Gibson wrote:
Notch wrote:You know what Gibbo? I don't remember when the Olympics was amateur and just about sport. Smile

All true Notch. The rise of sport as a political weapon, came before the big shekels. Hated that too. Men & women trained for 6 - 8 years sometimes and missed out on the biggest moments of their lives, because of a few control-freak looneys on both sides.

Sport has been a political weapon probably since it's inception however many thousands of years ago that was. But more recently, GAA was set up to help fight for Irish independence.

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Thu 19 Jul 2012, 2:25 pm

The Samaritan was only able to sort out the bloke left for dead in the gutter because he had money. It's your attitude towards it what you do with it that counts. It is not of itself evil. Very Happy

No fee.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Thu 19 Jul 2012, 2:25 pm

I see that Zlatan Ibrahimovich from Swedent is earning €35,000 a day with PSG football team.

The average man in Sweden earns €34,500 a year.
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Thu 19 Jul 2012, 2:26 pm

I don't think it was setup exclusively to do thatMunsty, but it certainly had a massive influence on the Irish people. Helped develop the snese of Irishness that many lacked. The correlation between GAA, IRB and then IRA members is thee for all to see.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Thu 19 Jul 2012, 2:27 pm

MBTGOG wrote:
Gibson wrote:Munsty, I know in Europe it was hard on top athletes to train and work. As you say the Ruling Classes (as in Rugby & football) paid them a pittance in expenses. So, yeah a sportsperson should be paid what they're worth. But not 200 grand a week for Dwayne Rooney to be a scally.

Corporations have fed it but they did not start it. If you're really looking for the problems, it's the greed and pride of these people pursuing these large sums of money.

Corporations/Oligarchs own clubs. They want the big money, glory and advertising for their product. They feed the overpaid players by corporate sponsorship. It will happen in rugby too and destroy the game we all love. If you offer a working class lad 100k a week to come to your club, of course he will snap it up. Look at Beckham, an average player who has made countless millions from all this shoite. Unreal.

Tennis players are even worse. Specially de wimmin, who are paid the same as the men, for half the time. Run

Last edited by Gibson on Thu 19 Jul 2012, 2:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu 19 Jul 2012, 2:27 pm

It's funny when people attack sportsmen for getting paid ridiculous sums of money. I say good luck to them. If someone offered you a gazillion pounds to do something you'd happily do for a fraction of that, well you'd shake their hand and say yes please, wouldn't you?

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Thu 19 Jul 2012, 2:27 pm

MBTGOG wrote:
Gibson wrote:

Sport has been a political weapon probably since it's inception however many thousands of years ago that was. But more recently, GAA was set up to help fight for Irish independence.

Too right. Those Hittities have a lot of explaining to do!

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by MBTGOG Thu 19 Jul 2012, 2:29 pm

rodders wrote:
MBTGOG wrote:Rodders,

Munsty that is the comment I would disagree with. On what basis do you say that?

Is someone who eats 5 chicken breasts a day doing something different to someone who takes a couple of protein shakes? Is eating an orange or an apple different to having a multivitamin?

Sorry but these comments a are very naive or else I am misinterpreting.

All hard training is pushing your body beyond what it can do naturally, that is the point.

PEDs take it to a level beyond which it can adapt to through training alone, dietary suppliments do not.

First of all, no need to call my comments naive. I haven't exactly just made them up on the spot or not studied them (considering I do this as part of my university studies). Hard training isn't pushing your body past what it is capable of at all.

Also, what might be making this discussion a little harder, is I am making reference to teenagers who are still growing taking these substances which is what the documentary and Thomond were referring to and that is what is dangerous.

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Thu 19 Jul 2012, 2:30 pm

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:It's funny when people attack sportsmen for getting paid ridiculous sums of money. I say good luck to them. If someone offered you a gazillion pounds to do something you'd happily do for a fraction of that, well you'd shake their hand and say yes please, wouldn't you?

I didn't pass judgement. Just posted the facts!
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Thu 19 Jul 2012, 2:32 pm

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:It's funny when people attack sportsmen for getting paid ridiculous sums of money. I say good luck to them. If someone offered you a gazillion pounds to do something you'd happily do for a fraction of that, well you'd shake their hand and say yes please, wouldn't you?

I 'd snap their hand off for it Lucky. But that's not the point. I want to moan about it... Its immoral the amount of shekesl... not right... In my day blah blah blah .. Put em in the Army... moan groan ... see how they like that yada yada yada. zen

Last edited by Gibson on Thu 19 Jul 2012, 2:37 pm; edited 2 times in total
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu 19 Jul 2012, 2:32 pm

I was just musing, Stag. Smile

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu 19 Jul 2012, 2:34 pm

Gibbo, I don't know how these things work, but if you snapped their hands off I'm pretty sure they'd terminate your contract.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by MBTGOG Thu 19 Jul 2012, 2:35 pm

Thomond wrote:I don't think it was setup exclusively to do thatMunsty, but it certainly had a massive influence on the Irish people. Helped develop the snese of Irishness that many lacked. The correlation between GAA, IRB and then IRA members is thee for all to see.

"The primary purpose of the G.A.A. is the
organisation of native pastimes and the promotion of athletic
fitness as a means to create a disciplined, self- reliant, nationalminded manhood. The overall result is the expression of a
people’s preference for native ways as opposed to imported ones.
Since she has not control over all the national territory,
Ireland’s claim to nationhood is impaired. It would be still
more impaired if she were to lose her language, if she failed to
provide a decent livelihood for her people at home, or if she
were to forsake her own games and customs in favour of the
games and customs of another nation."

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by MBTGOG Thu 19 Jul 2012, 2:38 pm

I would like to think I'd say 'No' but until that situation arises, who knows. I say though that someone will definitely want to pay me a Gazillion pounds to chat to people while playing FIFA.

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 20 of 21 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21  Next