The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Dew Drop Inn Virtual Rugby Pub, Bridgend

+29
Biltong
Dave.
Cari
perthshirepuma
PJHolybloke
Rava
Suspicious lurker
Hound_of_Harrow
Ozzy3213
Driver
prop_lyd
Artful_Dodger
Notch
WillyGilly
ChequeredJersey
Rory_Gallagher
Glas a du
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
Pete330v2
red_stag
rodders
PenfroPete
Gibson
MBTGOG
Thomond
Pal Joey
Mickado
Luckless Pedestrian
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
33 posters

Page 1 of 21 1, 2, 3 ... 11 ... 21  Next

Go down

The Dew Drop Inn Virtual Rugby Pub, Bridgend Empty The Dew Drop Inn Virtual Rugby Pub, Bridgend

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Thu 19 Jul 2012 - 14:47

Hello and welcome to the Dew Drop Inn, a place where you can come in for a sly beverage and discuss whatever's on your mind, or just eavesdrop on the regulars if you fancy a break from all the rugby chat.

This week the pub has set up in Bridgend, the birthplace of ex Wales and Lions centre Dr. Jack Matthews, who has sadly passed away.

The only rule in this pub is one of mutual respect for everyone in it, oh and no tampering with the pictures of Dr Jack Matthews and his Welsh centres partner Bleddyn Williams.

Ale cake cuppa tomato egg coffee mug guinness cider raspberry RedWine Bubbly

Previous Pub: https://www.606v2.com/t32320p950-the-dew-drop-inn-virtual-antananarivo-arms-madagascar

Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

The Dew Drop Inn Virtual Rugby Pub, Bridgend Empty Re: The Dew Drop Inn Virtual Rugby Pub, Bridgend

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu 19 Jul 2012 - 14:50

<proteinshake>

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

The Dew Drop Inn Virtual Rugby Pub, Bridgend Empty Re: The Dew Drop Inn Virtual Rugby Pub, Bridgend

Post by Mickado Thu 19 Jul 2012 - 14:51

MBTGOG, the GAA was not set up to "fight for Irish independance". It was set up to preserve Irish culture at a time when Irishness was essentially illegal in our own land.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Thu 19 Jul 2012 - 14:52

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-derbyshire-18890901

ooops...!

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 19 Jul 2012 - 14:52

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:<proteinshake>

<skimmedmilk> Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Thu 19 Jul 2012 - 14:53

"The primary purpose of the G.A.A. is the
organisation of native pastimes and the promotion of athletic
fitness as a means to create a disciplined, self- reliant, nationalminded manhood. The overall result is the expression of a
people’s preference for native ways as opposed to imported ones.
Since she has not control over all the national territory,
Ireland’s claim to nationhood is impaired. It would be still
more impaired if she were to lose her language, if she failed to
provide a decent livelihood for her people at home, or if she
were to forsake her own games and customs in favour of the
games and customs of another nation."

Interesting, although it wasn't it's only purpose. Sad that something they really wanted hasn't happened. Mainly the language dying. Micko, has the point really, was setup to keep our Irishness. Organisations like the IRB and IRA kind came out of the whole patriotism thing though.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 19 Jul 2012 - 14:54

Linebreaker wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-derbyshire-18890901

ooops...!

That's funny, but it's a Poopie tattoo anyway, so the spelling mistake has probably done her a favour.

Back to top Go down

Post by MBTGOG Thu 19 Jul 2012 - 14:54

Mickado wrote:MBTGOG, the GAA was not set up to "fight for Irish independance". It was set up to preserve Irish culture at a time when Irishness was essentially illegal in our own land.

It was part of the Irish fight for independence from England and part of that was the attempt to remove foreign games.

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu 19 Jul 2012 - 14:54

Risca Rev wrote:

<skimmedmilk> Wink

Laugh

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 19 Jul 2012 - 14:57

Great news from the Dragons today that they are taking two open training sessions out of Newport in the buildup to this season. Caerphilly and Blaenavon.

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu 19 Jul 2012 - 14:57

I'm disappointed that she seems to be okay with the spelling mistake. It would be a funnier story if she was angry. But it's a rubbish tattoo.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by MBTGOG Thu 19 Jul 2012 - 14:58

Rodders,

I am not saying I am enlightened but I am saying it is unfair to call my remarks naive.

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Thu 19 Jul 2012 - 14:59

MBTGOG wrote:
Mickado wrote:MBTGOG, the GAA was not set up to "fight for Irish independance". It was set up to preserve Irish culture at a time when Irishness was essentially illegal in our own land.

It was part of the Irish fight for independence from England and part of that was the attempt to remove foreign games.

How was the GAA part of the fight for independance exactly? It's not a politcal body, it's a sporting body.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Thu 19 Jul 2012 - 15:00

Risca Rev wrote:

<skimmedmilk> Wink

<handshandy>
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by MBTGOG Thu 19 Jul 2012 - 15:00

To add to the fighting for independence thing, I think you are looking at that remark from too narrow a viewpoint. It wasn't just political independence they were looking for but all British influence on the island.

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by PenfroPete Thu 19 Jul 2012 - 15:02

<milk supplement>
PenfroPete
PenfroPete

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Thu 19 Jul 2012 - 15:02

The GAA were taking a stand against the British rule so I suppose that's fighting in someway. A lot of GAA guys would later be involved in actually fighting too!

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 19 Jul 2012 - 15:02

Gibson wrote:
Risca Rev wrote:

<skimmedmilk> Wink

<handshandy>

<bonvoyage>

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Thu 19 Jul 2012 - 15:04

Mickado wrote:
MBTGOG wrote:

How was the GAA part of the fight for independance exactly? It's not a politcal body, it's a sporting body.

Wooo, the 1st part is right Mick - it wasnt set up to be so, but it was instrumental and used in the Fight(like the Kafflic Church) , but the 2nd part? Its fairly political. Its a closed shop, that has recently opened for business because of the shekels it could make out of it. I see it more as an Organisation.

Last edited by Gibson on Thu 19 Jul 2012 - 15:05; edited 1 time in total
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu 19 Jul 2012 - 15:07

Gibson wrote:
Risca Rev wrote:

<skimmedmilk> Wink

<handshandy>

Which is a form of exercise.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Thu 19 Jul 2012 - 15:09

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:
Gibson wrote:
Risca Rev wrote:

<skimmedmilk> Wink

<handshandy>

Which is a form of exercise.

You are the smartest boy in the shop. <haveasweetiefromaverystrangeoldman>
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by MBTGOG Thu 19 Jul 2012 - 15:09

It might not be a political body in the sense it doesn fight for seats in an election but look at who two of the original patrons for the GAA were, Parnell and Davitt.

Look at the excerpt that I posted earlier right from the opening of the GAA constitution, it is quite obvious there is a reason to setting the GAA up for more than just enjoying games.

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Thu 19 Jul 2012 - 15:12

The IRB were kind of the main group though Munsty. The GAA were important but the IRB were more influential. Both were closely linked together. The GAA mightn't have fought in a literal sense but they were very important in the fight for independence.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Thu 19 Jul 2012 - 15:12

Munsty I think it is unfair and insulting to make sweeping generalistions about sporting suppliments and their users and to compare them to taking illegal performance enhancing drugs.

I agree the legality does not equate to morality but taking legal sporting suppliments does not give an athlete an unfair edge over someone who doesn't which is not the case with PEDs.

I do not see any justification for your comment that taking suppliments allow someone to push themselves beyond their natural capabilities. That is simply not the case and I disagree strongly with anyone who suggests that.

I would 100% advise anyone who is involved in high volumes of and/or high intensity training to ensure that they have adequate protein, Iron and carbohydrates in their diet, regardless of whether that comes from suppliments or directly from their meals. It is irresponsible not to. Ideally it would be the former but sometimes that is simply not possible.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Thu 19 Jul 2012 - 15:14

When you're a slave in your own land, every act of defiance is a political statement.

It's now a modern and democratic organisation which doesn't base all of their desicions on the all mighty dollar, which is more than can be said for many other sporting governing bodies, in Ireland or abroad.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by MBTGOG Thu 19 Jul 2012 - 15:15

Thomond wrote:The IRB were kind of the main group though Munsty. The GAA were important but the IRB were more influential. Both were closely linked together. The GAA mightn't have fought in a literal sense but they were very important in the fight for independence.

Oh yeah, I totally agree with that and if what I have been posting suggests otherwise then my apologies, it is not what I meant. The GAA was a very important part of the overall fight for independence and was set up with that idea in mind.

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Thu 19 Jul 2012 - 15:15

Rubbish game anyway, Munsty. Whistle round ball..??? That's English, innit?

Our 'national' game was set up so that the cricketers wouldn't get fat during the winter months... now that's a real reason. Very Happy
...and we use the oval ball. OK

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Thu 19 Jul 2012 - 15:16

The GAA make a lot of their decisions based on money Mick. I think it would be wrong to say they don't. Notice the amount of last minute frees you see when there is a point between two sides.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by MBTGOG Thu 19 Jul 2012 - 15:18

rodders wrote:Munsty I think it is unfair and insulting to make sweeping generalistions about sporting suppliments and their users and to compare them to taking illegal performance enhancing drugs.

I agree the legality does not equate to morality but taking legal sporting suppliments does not give an athlete an unfair edge over someone who doesn't which is not the case with PEDs.

I do not see any justification for your comment that taking suppliments allow someone to push themselves beyond their natural capabilities. That is simply not the case and I disagree strongly with anyone who suggests that.

I would 100% advise anyone who is involved in high volumes of and/or high intensity training to ensure that they have adequate protein, Iron and carbohydrates in their diet, regardless of whether that comes from suppliments or directly from their meals. It is irresponsible not to. Ideally it would be the former but sometimes that is simply not possible.

I'm going to paraphrase the doctor from last night's show but as he says, there are kids who are taking these supplements are building bodies that their bone structures can't handle. Warriors muscles on kids bones. This as he said has led to more long bone injuries and other things I can't remember off the top of my head.

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Thu 19 Jul 2012 - 15:19

Mickado wrote:When you're a slave in your own land, every act of defiance is a political statement.

It's now a modern and democratic organisation which doesn't base all of their desicions on the all mighty dollar, which is more than can be said for many other sporting governing bodies, in Ireland or abroad.

Give over.

They are money hungry.
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by MBTGOG Thu 19 Jul 2012 - 15:20

Mickado wrote:When you're a slave in your own land, every act of defiance is a political statement.

They definitely don't make all their decisions on that but as Thomond says, I say it certainly does influence a lot of their decisions. But they are better than many other organisations, especially the Premier League, which was set up to maximise profit.

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by MBTGOG Thu 19 Jul 2012 - 15:21

red_stag wrote:

Give over.

They are money hungry.

Sorry Stag but that made me laugh. You don't normally take such a hard line.

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu 19 Jul 2012 - 15:21

Linebreaker wrote:Rubbish game anyway, Munsty. Whistle round ball..??? That's English, innit?

Our 'national' game was set up so that the cricketers wouldn't get fat during the winter months... now that's a real reason. Very Happy

David Boon slipped through the net, then...

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Thu 19 Jul 2012 - 15:22

"

Foundation
When Michael Cusack moved to Dublin, in 1877, to open his academy preparing Irish students for the Civil Service examinations, sport throughout Ireland was the preserve of the middle and ascended classes.

Within Cusack’s academy sport was central with students who were encouraged to participate in rugby, cricket, rowing and weight-throwing.

In the early 1880’s Cusack turned his attentions to indigenous Irish sports. In 1882 he attended the first meeting of the Dublin Hurling Club, formed ‘for the purpose of taking steps to re-establish the national game of hurling’.

The weekly games of hurling, in the Phoenix Park, became so popular that, in 1883, Cusack had sufficient numbers to found ‘Cusack’s Academy Hurling Club’ which, in turn, led to the establishment of the Metropolitan Hurling Club.

On Easter Monday 1884 the Metropolitans played Killiomor, in Galway. The game had to be stopped on numerous occasions as the two teams were playing to different rules.

It was this clash of styles that convinced Cusack that not only did the rules of the games need to be standardised but that a body must be established to govern Irish sports.

Cusack was also a journalist and he used the nationalist press of the day to further his cause for the creation of a body to organise and govern athletics in Ireland.

On October 11 1884 an article, written by Cusack, called ‘A word about Irish Athletics’ appeared in the United Ireland and The Irishman. These articles were supported a week later by a letter from Maurice Davin, one of three Tipperary brothers, who had dominated athletics for over a decade and who gave his full support to the October 11 articles.

A week later Cusack submitted a signed letter to both papers announcing that a meeting would take place in Hayes’s Commercial Hotel, Thurles on November 1 1884.

On this historic date Cusack convened the first meeting of the ‘Gaelic Athletic Association for the Preservation and Cultivation of national Pastimes’. Maurice Davin was elected President, Cusack, Wyse-Power and McKay were elected Secretaries and it was agreed that Archbishop Croke, Charles Stewart Parnell and Michael Davitt would be asked to become Patrons.

From that initial, subdued first meeting grew the Association we know today."

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

But thats from the GAA website. They will not openly admit to being closely tied into the Struggle. But they were. And why wouldnt they be?

I will say this, there is brilliant picture of Harry Boland in goal, at Croke Park, at my brother's Hurling Club - Faughs. He told me to look closely at the towel behind him, in the goal. The towel was wrapped around a gun, as the Brits were looking for him at the time.

He was playing in front of 93,000 people. Laugh

I think this more or less gives Munsty the edge in this convo. Its shows that the two (GAA & Sinn Fein) were strongly interwoven.
http://www.dublinheritage.ie/media/gaa_and_irish_revolution_text.html

Last edited by Gibson on Thu 19 Jul 2012 - 15:24; edited 1 time in total
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete330v2 Thu 19 Jul 2012 - 15:23

Maybe not so much across the border there but here the GAA and politics go hand in hand. I mean if any other sport were to name clubs etc after terrorists would they not be frowned upon? The Osama Bin Laden 1st XV or the Billy Wright memorial cup?

Smile Peace

Pete330v2

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Thu 19 Jul 2012 - 15:26

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:
Linebreaker wrote:Rubbish game anyway, Munsty. Whistle round ball..??? That's English, innit?

David Boon slipped through the net, then...

The rules were more relaxed in Tasmania, lucky. Wink

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Thu 19 Jul 2012 - 15:27

You could cause a lot of hassle with that post Pete. Wink It's an interesting point though. The GAA has a strong link with politics in this country and I don't think it's too big a problem now but was in the past.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu 19 Jul 2012 - 15:29

Crikey:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-18912742

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Thu 19 Jul 2012 - 15:31

Pete330v2 wrote:Maybe not so much across the border there but here the GAA and politics go hand in hand. I mean if any other sport were to name clubs etc after terrorists would they not be frowned upon? The Osama Bin Laden 1st XV or the Billy Wright memorial cup?

Smile Peace

Laugh kiss

Was Billy Wright a terrorist? Great centre-half.

Gandhi was a terrorist, according to your lot too Pete. As was Nelson Mandela by Biltongs lot. Funny how times change eh? Whistle
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 19 Jul 2012 - 15:31

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:Crikey:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-18912742

Never gonna happen. But good way of gaining publicity

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu 19 Jul 2012 - 15:34

Jesus was subversive as f*ck. (That's not a verse from the Bible.)

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by MBTGOG Thu 19 Jul 2012 - 15:35

To be fair, I have learned most of this stuff from a working class Welsh man from the valleys, who went back to university in his 30s after being in the army from the age of 16, is built like a tank, has a face that has played rugby in the deepest darkest parts of the ruck for 30 or so years and, describes himself as a Marxist feminist and says he got his PhD due to a massive chip on his shoulder. He said sport all sport is massively complex but in Ireland it is just off the rails and that is why he thinks it is the most interesting place to study.

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Thu 19 Jul 2012 - 15:38

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:Jesus was subversive as f*ck. (That's not a verse from the Bible.)

That guy was one contrary Hippie man. He caused all sorts of shoite and he still does. It's like Jim Morrison on Pan-Galactic Acid.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu 19 Jul 2012 - 15:41

Talk about anti-establishment, Gibbo.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by MBTGOG Thu 19 Jul 2012 - 15:41

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:Jesus was subversive as f*ck. (That's not a verse from the Bible.)

Yeah I'm pretty sure I haven't read that verse but with the amount of different translations, it could be there somewhere as it's certainly right.

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by MBTGOG Thu 19 Jul 2012 - 15:43

Gibson wrote:

That guy was one contrary Hippie man. He caused all sorts of shoite and he still does. It's like Jim Morrison on Pan-Galactic Acid.

I say He'd even be more anti-corporation than you Gibbo but funnily enough, probably the biggest 'corporation' was formed in His name.

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by PenfroPete Thu 19 Jul 2012 - 15:43

Ah Tasmania !!

Two bored casino dealers are waiting at the craps table. A very attractive blonde woman from Tasmania arrived and bet $20,000 on a single roll of the dice.

She said, "I hope you don't mind, but I feel much luckier when I play topless." With that, she stripped to the waist; rolled the dice; and yelled, "Come on baby, Tassie Girl needs new clothes!"

As the dice came to a stop, she jumped up-and-down and squealed "YES! YES! I WON! I WON!" She hugged each of the dealers, picked up her winnings and her clothes, and quickly departed. The dealers stared at each other dumfounded. Finally, one of them asked, "What did she roll?"

The other answered, "I don't know ... I thought you were watching!"

Moral ---
Not all Tasmanians are stupid.
Not all blondes are dumb.
BUT, all men ............................................ are men Smile
PenfroPete
PenfroPete

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Thu 19 Jul 2012 - 15:44

Jesus formed McDonald's?

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete330v2 Thu 19 Jul 2012 - 15:45

Gibson wrote:
Pete330v2 wrote:Maybe not so much across the border there but here the GAA and politics go hand in hand. I mean if any other sport were to name clubs etc after terrorists would they not be frowned upon? The Osama Bin Laden 1st XV or the Billy Wright memorial cup?

Smile Peace

Laugh kiss

Was Billy Wright a terrorist? Great centre-half.

Gandhi was a terrorist, according to your lot too Pete. As was Nelson Mandela by Biltongs lot. Funny how times change eh? Whistle

Ah but Nelson was a terrorist, by any popular interpretation. Ghandi was however just annoying, I much preferred him in 'Sexy Beast' with Ray Winstone.

Sorry if I piddled anyone off with the comment folks but it is the truth. Some may call them freedom fighters and some may seek to demonise them but if someone has used or incited murder for any gain they are a terrorist in my book even if they do smile and wear a toga Wink

What do ya mean my lot anyway Gibbo, the Irish? The Irish saw Ghandi as a terrorist? Smile

Pete330v2

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Thu 19 Jul 2012 - 15:48

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:Talk about anti-establishment, Gibbo.

Ya know what? Id love to see him come back and see the state of it all now. Imagine. The tax-collectors rage in the Temple, back when, would look like a tea-party.
Pointing to the bwhankers... It was THEM Hesuse, it was THEM!

As if by magic, they all went up in a puff of smoke and we got back our pay-packet in weekly brown envelopes(with a window so you could see the money) and all was well with the World again.

P.S. DONT mention the Jews, I did, but I think I got away with it. OK
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 21 1, 2, 3 ... 11 ... 21  Next