The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Khan- Brook isn't a big enough name...

+15
catchweight
BoxingFan88
RanjitPatel
mobilemaster8
ONETWOFOREVER
milkyboy
Marky
quentins_monkey
AdamT
Pedro147
Hammersmith harrier
Derbymanc
Lance
TRUSSMAN66
themadworldofjb
19 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Khan- Brook isn't a big enough name... Empty Khan- Brook isn't a big enough name...

Post by themadworldofjb Wed May 11 2016, 23:38

So, Amir Khan. Always been a fighter that provokes much debate amongst British fight fans. Personally, think he's a great fighter who has a highly inflated sense of self worth. Can't help but feel he has wasted the best years of his career chasing Mayweather and Pac. He should have been fighting putting his name in the shop window and not his mouth.

To the topic at hand. I have to give Amir credit for fighting Canelo. He seemed to be doing well until the KO. Shades of Graham-Jackson to me. However, straight after he poured water on any fight with Brook, citing the reason of "he's not a big enough name".

What a load of horses***! Kell is a huge name over here, especially after what he had to go through with the stabbing. Plus his stock amongst the boxing world is getting bigger and bigger with each fight. Rated in P4P Top 10 with both The Ring (#10) and BoxRec (#8) and at his weight is ranked #1 with the Ring and #2 with BoxRec. So it's fair to say he is thought highly of.

Khan needs to go back to WW, take a tune up to get used to the weight and then fight Brook early next year. It's the biggest fight out there for him.
themadworldofjb
themadworldofjb

Back to top Go down

Khan- Brook isn't a big enough name... Empty Re: Khan- Brook isn't a big enough name...

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed May 11 2016, 23:47

Brook is a name but he isn't a huge one...Unlike Josh he can't carry PPV and Josh isn't huge yet....His stock isn't rising with every fight either...Fans are getting impatient with every fight..

Khan is entitled to big himself up ...its an ego driven sport...

Rose tinted anti-Khan bollox..

Good night..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Khan- Brook isn't a big enough name... Empty Re: Khan- Brook isn't a big enough name...

Post by Lance Thu May 12 2016, 06:28

Brook certainly isnt as big of a name as Khan and should expect a lower cut of the purse. Having said that I always find these statements misleading, and it usually turns out to be an excuse to negotiate better deals or avoid fights. Otherwise why did Khan fight Molina, Diaz, Collazo and Algieri? Surely they werent big enough names?

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Thu May 12 2016, 07:22

Whilst normally Khan spouts rubbish, he's got a point here, whilst he's a big name over here he's not elsewhere and therefore wouldn't/doesn't deserve a 50/50 split. As always money will be the sticking point with Kell and EH believing they're the major players whilst the rest of us know they're not.

BTW did i hear right the other day that Kell said he wouldn't fight Khan now as he had the same power as Canelo??? just wondered why he didn't step up to the plate if so

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Thu May 12 2016, 07:28

Khan fighting Alvarez shouldn't distracted away from how scared he is of losing to Brook, this is what it's all about, it's a mental fear of knowing he couldn't explain the loss away and the hit his reputation would take.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro147 Thu May 12 2016, 08:23

The best bit of that interview is the following quote from Amir. The whole pot kettle black thing.

""I would love to do that [silence Brook] but because he talks so much, I just don't want to give him that opportunity and that chance."

Pedro147

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Thu May 12 2016, 09:00

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Brook is a name but he isn't a huge one...Unlike Josh he can't carry PPV and Josh isn't huge yet....His stock isn't rising with every fight either...Fans are getting impatient with every fight..

Khan is entitled to big himself up ...its an ego driven sport...

Rose tinted anti-Khan bollox..

Good night..

Rose tinted? The irony.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Thu May 12 2016, 09:01

I fully agree with Hammer. Considering our posting history, that is not easy, but he nails it with the above statement.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by quentins_monkey Thu May 12 2016, 09:15

As much as I'd love these pair to finally fight, I'm getting sick of the back and forth between them...

Think Brook's timing of his tweet calling Khan out shortly after getting knocked out didn't sit well, and looked a tad desperate. It's ironic that Khan is now doing to Brook what Mayweather did to him.

Think Brook should look elsewhere and fight some other top 10 fighters as his resume is still incredibly thin. And as for Khan, I do think he should take at least the rest of the year off. If he does fight again this year think Berto would be a good fight for him - well known in the States, and definitely a winnable fight. I did see there was talk of him fighting Cotto but think he should avoid that fight at all costs, unless he's developed a taste for getting knocked out for big money...

quentins_monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by Marky Thu May 12 2016, 10:08

Khan's tweeted he has a big announcement coming up then hashtagged Boxing and Pakistan.

Marky

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Thu May 12 2016, 10:16

He's going on holiday to Pakistan and whilst there will be watching the superfight of Joshua Vs Bruizela (or whatever the spelling is)

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 12 2016, 10:31

As I see it, Khan has definitely peaked and it's also clear that Virgil Hunter will never correct the flaws in Khan's game that prevent him from being one of the elite of the division. Khan has pretty much stagnated as a fighter and it's a shame he's likely to spend what remains of his career talking b*llocks about fighting the best whilst looking at paydays against the likes of Cotto, Manny and Bradley who are also past their best. Kell Brook, big name or not, is probably at his peak and, in my opinion, one of the best WW operating at the moment.

Khan looks like a muppet with the reasons he's giving for not fighting him. Shame really as he came out with a fair bit of credit after the Alvarez fight but is in danger of taking a huge dump on his reputation/legacy

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Thu May 12 2016, 10:46

DAVE667 wrote:As I see it, Khan has definitely peaked and it's also clear that Virgil Hunter will never correct the flaws in Khan's game that prevent him from being one of the elite of the division. Khan has pretty much stagnated as a fighter and it's a shame he's likely to spend what remains of his career talking b*llocks about fighting the best whilst looking at paydays against the likes of Cotto, Manny and Bradley who are also past their best. Kell Brook, big name or not, is probably at his peak and, in my opinion, one of the best WW operating at the moment.

Khan looks like a muppet with the reasons he's giving for not fighting him. Shame really as he came out with a fair bit of credit after the Alvarez fight but is in danger of taking a huge dump on his reputation/legacy

I agree. I will/have eased up on him, but the guy doesn't do himself any favours. He should fight a gimme next, build some confidence back. then go for Brook/Garcia. If he is knocked out again, he really needs to think of retiring.

Also he needs to stay away from Cotto. Terrible match up for him. Cotto has great timing and very solid power. He would beat Khan quicker than Canelo and just as effectively.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Thu May 12 2016, 10:50

Pedro147 wrote:The best bit of that interview is the following quote from Amir. The whole pot kettle black thing.

""I would love to do that [silence Brook] but because he talks so much, I just don't want to give him that opportunity and that chance."

Very Hatton witter. If you want to shut him up, then shut him up make some money and deal with the fact he'll make some money too.

It's plausible that Khan doesn't want to lose to a Brit fighter, but we don't know that. It always made commercial sense to chase mayweather and to take Alvarez, because brook would still be there and the reverse wouldn't apply.

As we can see, brook is still here. He's the most commercially viable one off fight for Khan too, but Garcia makes sense if it can be made... Win or lose brook will still be there yapping away like a love sick puppy. If Khan beats Garcia then the brook fight is a unification fight and 'bigger' on the world scene than it would be now. So commercially other options first still make sense for team Khan...the caveat being if he's pancaked by Garcia, then a brook fight looks like his custer's last stand and for a smaller piece of a smaller pie. It's all a risk management assessment from his team.

That aside, don't care for the attitude shown by either of these two towards each other to be honest... One dismissive, the other treading water chasing the fight.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Thu May 12 2016, 10:51

An ego driven sport yeah Truss?

Can't help but think you are on the team Khan payroll.

Any fan with eyes can see that Brook ticks all the boxes for Khan to say that Brook is not a big enough name begs the question, why did he fight Algeri?

I can hear you squirming in your seat Truss.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 12 2016, 10:58

ONETWOFOREVER wrote:An ego driven sport yeah Truss?

Can't help but think you are on the team Khan payroll.

Any fan with eyes can see that Brook ticks all the boxes for Khan to say that Brook is not a big enough name begs the question, why did he fight Algeri?

I can hear you squirming in your seat Truss.
He thought that he could do a better job on him than Manny and then people would start asking Floyd when he was going to take on the quick, heavy hitting Amir Khan. However, as we saw, he failed miserably in his quest and his stock dropped as a result.

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Thu May 12 2016, 11:08

Don't know if anyone remember Khans interviews before canelo fight he never said when he wins but if he wins.

Khan was never confident of winning makes me wonder why he took the fight. Anyhow it backfired completely becuz the fight was not marketed as big as a Mayweather fight which is no doubt what Khan was aiming for.

His star has faded fight Brook numpty.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Thu May 12 2016, 11:14

Let's be honest....Brook has fought one half decent fighter in his career and he has had over 30 fights.

The end.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Thu May 12 2016, 11:23

But he has a belt.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by RanjitPatel Thu May 12 2016, 11:26

If Spence is Brook's mandatory then I can understand his desperation to make some money in a Khan fight whilst he's still got a title as a bargaining chip. This time next year he probably won't have it

RanjitPatel

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Thu May 12 2016, 11:32

Spence looks the part but I will reserve judgment when he steps up

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Thu May 12 2016, 11:35

I pick Spence to beat Brook, if the fight happens.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Thu May 12 2016, 11:39

i think we all expect to see the 'the belt is everything to me so you've got to fight your mandatories' line being replaced by the 'i've done my share of mandatories, you have to chase the big fights and can't be held to ransom by sanctioning bodies'

I'd really like to see khan brook, but i'd also really like to see brook v someone with a pulse. Just fight someone who can fight kel. Please.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Thu May 12 2016, 11:52

Its boring

Khan is ducking him, its pretty obvious, if he loses he has nowhere to go

Not a big enough name?

Khan vs Canelo did under 600k apparently and Canelo must bring in 500k by himself

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Thu May 12 2016, 11:59

BoxingFan88 wrote:Its boring

Not a big enough name?

Khan vs Canelo did under 600k apparently and Canelo must bring in 500k by himself

Oscar predicted 2 million lol

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 12 2016, 12:00

AdamT wrote:

Not a big enough name?

"promoter talks b*ll*cks" shocker!!!!!!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Thu May 12 2016, 12:01

Aye but could he of not been a little realistic? Like talk up 1 mill plus or something?

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Thu May 12 2016, 12:01

AdamT wrote:

Not a big enough name?

HAHA yeah I remember that!

Although my source is boxing news 24, but they aren't usually way off

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 12 2016, 12:04

AdamT wrote:Aye but could he of not been a little realistic? Like talk up 1 mill plus or something?
Don King would turn in his grave (I know he's not dead... it's wishful thinking) His advice to Oscar should be "If you're going to tell lies, tell BIG ones!"

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Thu May 12 2016, 12:07

DAVE667 wrote:
AdamT wrote:Aye but could he of not been a little realistic? Like talk up 1 mill plus or something?
Don King would turn in his grave  (I know he's not dead... it's wishful thinking) His advice to Oscar should be "If you're going to tell lies, tell BIG ones!"

You accusing Donald of lying??

Imagine Don King ran for president. Why not like. They have that or numpty running for it.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 12 2016, 12:09

Will Smith should hire Don King as his publicist.

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Thu May 12 2016, 12:10

So Khan doesn't really have a leg to stand on tbh...

Not a big name after all

Last edited by BoxingFan88 on Thu May 12 2016, 12:12; edited 1 time in total

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Thu May 12 2016, 12:11

To be fair it was a mismatch. I doubt the American public have any appetite paying for any old fight. Especially after Mayweather v Manny being a let down.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 12 2016, 12:19

A fool and his money....a fool and his money!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Thu May 12 2016, 12:22

BoxingFan88 wrote:So Khan doesn't really have a leg to stand on tbh...

not when someone hits him

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Thu May 12 2016, 12:30

Clinton should stand down and let that god fearing democrat Don King take the nomination. I'm loving the idea of Don King against Don Trump for president. 'Only in America!'

It would be worth it for the headlines alone 'king trumped' etc.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Thu May 12 2016, 12:32

milkyboy wrote:Clinton should stand down and let that god fearing democrat Don King take the nomination. I'm loving the idea of Don King against Don Trump for president. 'Only in America!'

It would be worth it for the headlines alone 'king trumped' etc.

The states would be majorly f...ed !!

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Thu May 12 2016, 12:50

milkyboy wrote:
BoxingFan88 wrote:So Khan doesn't really have a leg to stand on tbh...

not when someone hits him

Haha

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu May 12 2016, 17:51

There is a reason Brook and Hearn keep beating on about Khan and it's a smart one...

They can blame Khan's refusal to fight...... For Brook and match room feasting on stiffs for good money..

Khan makes a great smokescreen.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Thu May 12 2016, 19:34

Saying if Khan loses to Brook then hes had it is wide of the mark. To be honest, he could probably lose to Brook and would still have more options on the table than Brook. There are plenty of good fights for him in the division, win or lose.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by jimdig Thu May 12 2016, 23:41

Agreed with milky on the Hatton witter analogy. That rivalry (if memory serves me correct) played out with Hatton saying get a belt, then we'll talk. Witter winning the wbc against chop chop corley, looking a million dollars against Harris, Hatton dissing him chasing Mayweather, fighting in the garden closing curtains comment, Witter losing to unknown young mandatory Tim Bradley and fading into obscurity.

Spense Jr, could do the same derailing job to Brook. Both ingle fighters too.

jimdig

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 13 2016, 10:56

jimdig wrote:Agreed with milky on the Hatton witter analogy. That rivalry (if memory serves me correct) played out with Hatton saying get a belt, then we'll talk. Witter winning the wbc against chop chop corley, looking a million dollars against Harris, Hatton dissing him chasing Mayweather, fighting in the garden closing curtains comment, Witter losing to unknown young mandatory Tim Bradley and fading into obscurity.

Must have missed that fight...I recall SKY saying they'd show the second half of it, mentioning that Witter had dropped Harris earlier in the fight. The bit they showed was typical Witter garbage and flashy style over substance

Back to top Go down

Post by Atila Fri May 13 2016, 16:30

jimdig wrote:Agreed with milky on the Hatton witter analogy. That rivalry (if memory serves me correct) played out with Hatton saying get a belt, then we'll talk. Witter winning the wbc against chop chop corley, looking a million dollars against Harris, Hatton dissing him chasing Mayweather, fighting in the garden closing curtains comment, Witter losing to unknown young mandatory Tim Bradley and fading into obscurity.

Witter practically had to win the heavyweight title to get a fight with Hatton.

Atila

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Fri May 13 2016, 18:05

.... I think Ricky can still make cruiser

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by dangerous_mouse Sat May 14 2016, 16:04

DAVE667 wrote:Kell Brook, big name or not, is probably at his peak and, in my opinion, one of the best WW operating at the moment.

Apologies if you have already elaborated on this but I'm not always on here so you won't mind awfully me asking, how does one come to that conclusion on Brook when he has fought only one decent fighter?

Golovkin gets grief for being untested, Canelo too and sometimes even gets called a hype job but Brook is the best operator in WW?

dangerous_mouse

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat May 14 2016, 17:57

If like me you think GGG is the best middle in the world by a mile without really being tested...

Then why can't people think Brook is the best welter..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Sat May 14 2016, 18:15

Certainly now Manny has retired I would probably agree with you Trussy. Although I do expect Spence Jr to start making big noises in the division - think a fight between him and Brook would be amazing.

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Sat May 14 2016, 18:39

Thurman is up there.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Sun May 15 2016, 20:39

AdamT wrote:Thurman is up there.

Yes he is. I think that with Thurman, Brook, Spence, Porter, and to a lesser extent Bradley & Garcia, welter is still looking half decent. Some great potential fights there. thumbsup

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Mon May 16 2016, 09:57

I think Brook is up there based on the eye test

Can't wait to see him in July against someone like Jesse Vargas to see how well he does

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next