The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kell Brook better than Khan now ????

+15
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
azania
tunes666
Diggers
SharkSoul
KingMonkey
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
hampo17
AlexHuckerby
paperbag_puncher
Josef K.
as1079
Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake
Steffan
TRUSSMAN66
19 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Kell Brook better than Khan now ???? Empty Kell Brook better than Khan now ????

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 30 May 2012, 12:23 pm

Less experience than Khan at the top level...but I'll be honest I don't se ea weakness with this guy!!!....

Certainly the best talent I've seen in the twenty or so years since I've been here!!!......

For me he's much better all round mentally, physically than Khan and I'm thinking why wait!!!....Sure everybody will struggle with the jab but Khan isn't mature enough and (never will be) to stick to what serves him best and he's more fragile also!!!

Get a title this year and then next spring just whack out the insufferable class-less Khan!!!

Always usually opt for caution with quality like Brook....but to me he's ready now....

Kell Brook better than Khan now !!! You betcha!!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Kell Brook better than Khan now ???? Empty Re: Kell Brook better than Khan now ????

Post by Steffan Wed 30 May 2012, 12:26 pm

Brook really needs a deeper end fight before people go saying stuff like this. He does look ready. But im not sure how he would respond to a fighter who doesnt let him get it all his own way. My money would be on Khan if they fought

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Kell Brook better than Khan now ???? Empty Re: Kell Brook better than Khan now ????

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 30 May 2012, 12:28 pm

Not sure If there is a fighter around bar Mayweather that can do that Steff!!!

Real lightning fast combination puncher that can discourage good opposition....

Compact too..........Certainly quality of the highest sort..hope he can go on!!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake Wed 30 May 2012, 12:29 pm

Can't knock Khan's physical conditioning. He went twelve hard rounds with a ROIDED Peterson. Seriously though, his conditioning is superb and I'd say better than Brook.

I don't think it's fair to put Brook ahead of Khan until he's fought at that level. Khan's been up against top level fighters and beaten them. Brook has great potential but we need to see him in higher level fights first before making any real judgement of his talent.

Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake

Back to top Go down

Post by as1079 Wed 30 May 2012, 12:30 pm

Really? His best victory is against a washed-up version of a fighter who was never that good in the first place.

Yes, he has talent and a lot of it but to suggest he is already better than one of Britain's top two fighters seems to be more than a bit premature and without much base.

as1079

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 30 May 2012, 12:32 pm

Who are the top level fighters he's beat???

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Josef K. Wed 30 May 2012, 12:35 pm

Brook is so far ahead of anyone in Europe IMO, the only other tests for him are Stateside. Would like to see him fight for the strap towards the end of this year.

I've barely seen Brook lose a round. In a strange way, I'd like to him struggle slightly against Carson Jones, just to prepare him for true world level, so he's mentally prepared for anything that might come his way.

Josef K.

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Wed 30 May 2012, 12:39 pm

Its all about having some heart and grit as well

Hatton wasnt a naturally gifted fighter in a pure sense but he had good pressure fighting and could take a punch

Calzaghe didnt hit hard at all and was often very sloppy in his punches but he liked a war and could adapt

There is more to being a good fighter than just being able to box like Brook can. Thnigs like chin, heart and the ability to do something special when the chips are down are all the difference to being a good fighter and a great fighter

Brook has proven he can box brilliantly but we still dont know how he will react to a hardpunch or a knockdown or some dirty fighter butting him in the face. Hes shown he can box but hasnt fought anyone yet when he can show that kind of X factor that the recent greats from the Isles have

Last edited by Steffan on Wed 30 May 2012, 12:40 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Disgraceful Spelling)

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 30 May 2012, 12:40 pm

Absolutely Josef....Alright saying he needs tests but who is going to test him?

He's smart, incisive, compact and seems to have a good chin!!!!

Think he's ready for a title fight!!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by paperbag_puncher Wed 30 May 2012, 12:41 pm

Khans had the better career so far and I've been critical up to now of Brook's opposition and rate of progression. In saying that I think Brooks all wrong for Khan.

Brooks best asset is his timing which will counter Khan's speed along with a stiff jab. He's very accurate and has power in both hands. I'd say the mix of his accuracy, speed and power make him a much more hurtful puncher than Maidana. The only advantage I give to Khan is his hand speed. His defence isn't great its all about running. He doesn't move his head or slip punches. He lunges in and leaves himself open when he throws a flurry. He's made for someone like Brook in my opinion.

paperbag_puncher

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 30 May 2012, 12:44 pm

Khan's had the better career so far!!!

Nothing like stating the obvious....

Joking aside......Very good post...

Can see a Honey-Starling type fight...with Khan's defensive weaknesses exploited..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Josef K. Wed 30 May 2012, 12:51 pm

I think Brook's accuracy would trouble Khan. Also, he's quite orthodox, but does have a few Ingle traits, switch-hitting etc. I can't see Khan coping with that.

I agree, Truss, I would liked to have seen him in a title fight this time around, but I think Hearn will milk him once more before he really tests him. Brook under Warren was virtually unknown in Sheffield now within a few fights Matchroom have turned things around for him and everyone knows his name. Town was buzzing for the Hatton fight. I would like to see him tested, but unfortunately his profile was so low, he's had to be put in with a few we know he'll win just to make him a name.

Josef K.

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 30 May 2012, 1:02 pm

Funnily enough though Josef I think Hearn will test Brook....

Think he's better for the sport than Warren.....and sells less crap!!

You make some good points..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Wed 30 May 2012, 1:03 pm

I would also take the leap of faith on Brook to do a job on Khan, but it is still a leap of faith.

Bute to me looked superb against good solid opposition, stepped in with the big boys and so many including me were shocked that he wasn't up there.

Brook though really does look absolutely amazing, I would honestly take a leap on him, and yes, I'll be slaughtered for it I know, but on July 9th if it was Brook taking on Pac, I would back Brook, if he has the ability that I believe he does then he is all wrong for the Pac Man.

He said he was dissappointed with his performance against Hatton, that he gave him too much respect and he wouldn't do that to anyone again and against Jones he is going to be a lot more spiteful.

Still lots up in the air but I think this kid is the future.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Wed 30 May 2012, 1:10 pm

Brook isn't a head of Khan now, and he won't be until he steps up to world level and eclipses what Khan has done.

Brook seems to have all the skills in the book but can he use them when he gets caught by someone who can punch? Or is quicker than he is? A lot of unknowns about him.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Wed 30 May 2012, 1:20 pm

I think he looks way more composed than Khan when he's fighting. Khan always looks a little nervous and jumpy as the rounds go by plus tires too easy when the pressure is one. But you can't fault his heart and determination.

Brook on the other hand looks calm and seems to be thinking deeply about what he's going to do next. If Brook shows he can take a shot against Jones (who does have a good solid punch) then I would take Brook to outsmart Khan if/when they meet.

Khan has the habit sometimes of gunslinging and not following Roaches orders, this is always exciting for the fans but if it comes down to the two of them coming out and following orders, I can't see anything other than Brook executing his without fault. Even when Khan was at the stage where Brook is now he was making crutial errors and he still makes these to this day. I haven't seen Brook make any repetitive mistakes yet.
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by KingMonkey Wed 30 May 2012, 1:34 pm

Give it two years and I think we'll have a real, comparable, pair of fighters. Brook looks mustard to me but as has been posted a fair bit already we're yet to see him tested in a variety of ways. In fact, to his credit, he's had it all his own way so far.

Khan would have to be favourite at this stage purely because we know more about him and he probably knows more about himself.

KingMonkey

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Wed 30 May 2012, 1:44 pm

alma wrote:Will be interesting to see how Khan's chin holds up at 147

Been sturdier since he went up to 140lbs so he could end up having a better chin the higher he goes. The shot from Maidana landed back when his punch resistance was what it was when he campaigned at 135lbs and I reckon it was goodnight to the great American debut.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 30 May 2012, 2:00 pm

Not sure we'll really have a comparible pair of fighters in two years..

Think Hearn smells a huge Brit showdown and probably sooner rather than later!!

Alphabet world title and then a showdown for muchos peseta...........

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by SharkSoul Wed 30 May 2012, 2:26 pm

Hold your horses. Are we getting ahead of ourselves here guys? Brook better than Khan? I think it's a little to early to say that, Brook hasn't fought at Khans level yet and until he does I don't think you can make that assumption.

Premature is an understatement here.

SharkSoul

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Wed 30 May 2012, 2:28 pm

SharkSoul wrote:
Hold your horses. Are we getting ahead of ourselves here guys? Brook better than Khan? I think it's a little to early to say that, Brook hasn't fought at Khans level yet and until he does I don't think you can make that assumption.

Premature is an understatement here.

Agreed, but you can make educated guesses as to how good someone will be and right now my aura of how good Brook is huge.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 30 May 2012, 2:39 pm

Exactly......He is probably more mature mentally than Khan and has everything Khan has and more...except maybe the jab..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Wed 30 May 2012, 2:41 pm

Its amazing that Brook has become an overnight sensation after 8 years as a pro. At the rate his career has progressed he will be 35 before he fights for a world title.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by tunes666 Wed 30 May 2012, 5:46 pm

My money is on Brook,Peterson exposed a few of Khans weaknesses when he beat him.. and i think Brook could do a better job than Peterson..

tunes666

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed 30 May 2012, 5:52 pm

tunes666 wrote:My money is on Brook,Peterson exposed a few of Khans weaknesses when he beat him.. and i think Brook could do a better job than Peterson..

Peterson attacked Khan and fought on the inside. Brook on the other hand is more of a boxer and Khan doesn't seem to have any problems with boxers.

Of course Brook could land the jackpot punch.

But in the whole I see Khan's speed being the telling factor and he scores a wide UD. He'll go through some hairy moments though.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Wed 30 May 2012, 6:03 pm

azania wrote:
tunes666 wrote:My money is on Brook,Peterson exposed a few of Khans weaknesses when he beat him.. and i think Brook could do a better job than Peterson..

Peterson attacked Khan and fought on the inside. Brook on the other hand is more of a boxer and Khan doesn't seem to have any problems with boxers.

But in the whole I see Khan's speed being the telling factor and he scores a wide UD. He'll go through some hairy moments though.

What Peterson did to Khan is irrelevant he was juicing. Which won't happen to Khan again as he is demanding random drug testing from his opponents which should be applauded but won't be.

We don't know how Brook reacts to getting hurt or how good his chin is. We also don't know if Brook can cut it at World level. Beating Carson Jones won't tell us much. I would like to see him in with Ortiz I don't think Mike Jones would cause Brook much trouble at all. I'm not a big fan of Ortiz but he is in his prime. He's a big lump at the weight and he can bang. Brook has never been in with someone like that.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by KingMonkey Wed 30 May 2012, 6:06 pm

Who knows what Brook is capable of? For all his criticism that he hasn't fought anyone we can say his potential is unrealised. Going into the Peterson fight didn't we all think that Lamont was a counter puncher? Since then the perception of him is that he's some sort of Hatton-esque, come forward fighter. Great tactics well employed. Brook could do similar.

KingMonkey

Back to top Go down

Post by tunes666 Wed 30 May 2012, 6:09 pm

SugarRayRussell (PBK) wrote:
What Peterson did to Khan is irrelevant he was juicing.

Excuses, Excuses... no longer the reff or score card then?..

According to the doctor who prescribed him, they were slow release and would have given him no advantage for the fight.. So unless more info comes up to suggest otherwise I think Peterson managed to get the win due to fighter very well on the inside...

I don't really think Peterson looked Juiced..

tunes666

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed 30 May 2012, 6:13 pm

tunes666 wrote:

According to the doctor who prescribed him, they were slow release and would have given him no advantage for the fight.. So unless more info comes up to suggest otherwise I think Peterson managed to get the win due to fighter very well on the inside...

He was juicing.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Wed 30 May 2012, 6:14 pm

tunes666 wrote:

Did Tyson look stoned when he tested positive for marijuana?

He never declared the substance. Him and Barry Hunter know how USADA works so their is no excuse.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed 30 May 2012, 6:17 pm

azania wrote:

What Peterson did to Khan is irrelevant he was juicing. Which won't happen to Khan again as he is demanding random drug testing from his opponents which should be applauded but won't be.

We don't know how Brook reacts to getting hurt or how good his chin is. We also don't know if Brook can cut it at World level. Beating Carson Jones won't tell us much. I would like to see him in with Ortiz I don't think Mike Jones would cause Brook much trouble at all. I'm not a big fan of Ortiz but he is in his prime. He's a big lump at the weight and he can bang. Brook has never been in with someone like that.

Granted. Brooks doesn't have the style used by Marcus M or by the juicer which was effective in taking Khan out of his stride. Brooks prefers to box behind his jab and set things up from there. Khan's speed would neutralise that. But Khan does have this habit of leaving himself open and admiring his work. Brook is quick enough to land some counters. But not enough to win a decision. He may stop Khan, but unlikely imo.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by tunes666 Wed 30 May 2012, 6:21 pm

KingMonkey wrote:Who knows what Brook is capable of? For all his criticism that he hasn't fought anyone we can say his potential is unrealised. Going into the Peterson fight didn't we all think that Lamont was a counter puncher? Since then the perception of him is that he's some sort of Hatton-esque, come forward fighter. Great tactics well employed. Brook could do similar.

I think Brook hits hard but is also a very good boxer with great accuracy.. I cant see Khan streaming like he does and not feeling some of Brooks leather.
And i think your right about Peterson, he is a counter puncher but like Mallagnagi pointed out, with Khan because he is so fast, you have to kind of come under him to attack, Peterson started to do this and got some joy, which is why Khan was complaining about head butting (which was rubbish) and why he keeps holding peoples heads down and pushing.. the question is how much fight does Brook have, as he has not really gone in the trenches where's to Khans Credit he has been in a couple wars and shown fight...

tunes666

Back to top Go down

Post by tunes666 Wed 30 May 2012, 6:25 pm

tunes666 wrote:

He never declared the substance. Him and Barry Hunter know how USADA works so their is no excuse.

I was not saying he has not done anything wrong, I was commenting on if he had an advantage over Khan in their fight, and so far according to the Doc who prescribed them, he has stated that he would not have as they were slow release... No doubt Khan will use it as an excuse as he has tried to find since he lost... But if the Doc is correct then the Peterson we saw beat Khan was not fighting with some kind of advantage.. unless there is more to be disclosed..

tunes666

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Wed 30 May 2012, 6:26 pm

he's fighting for in a IBF eliminator, so his next fight will be for the title. cant see him fight khan in a first defence, so could be a while before we see this.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Wed 30 May 2012, 6:27 pm

azania wrote:
azania wrote:

Granted. Brooks doesn't have the style used by Marcus M or by the juicer which was effective in taking Khan out of his stride. Brooks prefers to box behind his jab and set things up from there. Khan's speed would neutralise that. But Khan does have this habit of leaving himself open and admiring his work. Brook is quick enough to land some counters. But not enough to win a decision. He may stop Khan, but unlikely imo.

Maybe, on the other hand you can say Khan likes set everything up with the jab and throw in combinations, Brooks timing can neutralise that then he can land his own quick counters and lead off and push Khan around, who knows?

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Wed 30 May 2012, 6:30 pm

Who the hell is Brooks Az?? Is he related to Vlad, Kahn or is he the old guy from Shawshank Redemption??
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Wed 30 May 2012, 6:34 pm

Never got why it is "Eubanks" either.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Wed 30 May 2012, 6:48 pm

Eubank used to be Eubanks before he changed it

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Wed 30 May 2012, 6:57 pm

ShahenshahG wrote:Eubank used to be Eubanks before he changed it
I heard it was because he was sick of saying Eubanksthhhhhhh

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed 30 May 2012, 6:58 pm

Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn wrote:Who the hell is Brooks Az?? Is he related to Vlad, Kahn or is he the old guy from Shawshank Redemption??

Got Kelly Brooks on my mind heart

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Wed 30 May 2012, 7:01 pm

azania wrote:
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn wrote:Who the hell is Brooks Az?? Is he related to Vlad, Kahn or is he the old guy from Shawshank Redemption??

Her name is Brook as well Doh
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed 30 May 2012, 7:01 pm

AlexHuckerby wrote:Never got why it is "Eubanks" either.

Actually EubankS is correct. His brothers all have the 'S'. Chris just wanted to be different.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed 30 May 2012, 7:02 pm

azania wrote:

Her name is Brook as well Doh

Oh gonads. I give up.

Whatever her name, that biyatch is fit.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed 30 May 2012, 7:03 pm

tunes666 wrote:
tunes666 wrote:

I was not saying he has not done anything wrong, I was commenting on if he had an advantage over Khan in their fight, and so far according to the Doc who prescribed them, he has stated that he would not have as they were slow release... No doubt Khan will use it as an excuse as he has tried to find since he lost... But if the Doc is correct then the Peterson we saw beat Khan was not fighting with some kind of advantage.. unless there is more to be disclosed..

Well the doc who prescribed it to him is hardly likely to say it gave him an advantage is he.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed 30 May 2012, 7:05 pm

AlexHuckerby wrote:
azania wrote:
azania wrote:

Maybe, on the other hand you can say Khan likes set everything up with the jab and throw in combinations, Brooks timing can neutralise that then he can land his own quick counters and lead off and push Khan around, who knows?

Problem with that is that Khan doesn't have much of a jab. More of a range finder than an offensive weapon. Relatively easy to slip by a good pressure fighter. It lacks authority. But who knows how it will pan out. Khan to win though.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Wed 30 May 2012, 7:22 pm

Khan has an incredibly good jab... Watch the Malignaggi fight or something, Khan starts nearly every attack with the jab.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Wed 30 May 2012, 7:32 pm

i can see why people would believe brook is already better than khan. maybe he is, but hes certainly not done anything to prove it, and to be honest i dont think he will be taking on any tougher fights until hearn can get him a strap to mlk.

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed 30 May 2012, 7:33 pm

AlexHuckerby wrote:Khan has an incredibly good jab... Watch the Malignaggi fight or something, Khan starts nearly every attack with the jab.

His jab looks good against fighters who stand off him. Look at how poor it was against Gomez, Maidana and Peterson (juiced or not).

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by paul12342 Wed 30 May 2012, 8:58 pm

I dont see Brook as being better then khan at all. Until he beats a genuine world class contender and has to go to the trenches like Khan showed against Maidana and Peterson.

Brooks got the skills to pay the bills but as of yet his heart hasnt really been tested.

He reminds me of when i was younger and Ryan Rhodes come along and i thought he would win a world title no problem like his stablemate Hamed had.However when he took the step up in class he become unstuck.

I got a bad feeling that Brook may come unstuck when he takes that step up aswell.

paul12342

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 30 May 2012, 9:14 pm

Mate his all-round game is better than Rhodes....

Who in fairness underachieved greatly..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next