The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ireland v Wales, 29 August

+55
Pete330v2
BigTrevsbigmac
No9
TightHEAD
nathan
Cardiff Dave
R!skysports
Duty281
wrfc1980
stub
englandglory4ever
glamorganalun
theslosty
eirebilly
LondonTiger
asoreleftshoulder
overlordofthewest
majesticimperialman
Rory_Gallagher
marty2086
yappysnap
ceilliau_chwyslyd
The Great Aukster
Don Alfonso
Gwlad
BamBam
GavinDragon
wales606
Pot Hale
Shifty
SecretFly
wayne
the-goon
maestegmafia
profitius
FecklessRogue
irnbrew
kunu
Notch
fa0019
Seagultaf
LordDowlais
mikey_dragon
bedfordwelsh
Jhamer25
thebandwagonsociety
Mickado
jimbopip
Luckless Pedestrian
Marshes
munkian
PhilBB
Golden
Sin é
George Carlin
59 posters

Page 5 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

Ireland v Wales, 29 August - Page 5 Empty Ireland v Wales, 29 August

Post by George Carlin Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:55 am

First topic message reminder :

Ireland v Wales, 29 August - Page 5 Irelan10 Ireland v Wales, 29 August - Page 5 Wales_10
IRELAND v WALES
29 August 2015
KO: 14:30 local
Aviva Stadium, Dublin

Live on Sky Sports 1/RTÉ Radio 1/IRFU Live Blog/highlights RTÉ Two (8pm

Referee: Craig Joubert (South Africa)
Assistant Referees: Wayne Barnes, Luke Pearce (both England)
TMO: Graham Hughes (England)

A. Head to Head

122 Played 122
50 Won 66
6 Drawn 6
66 Lost 50
1,355 Points 1,445

B. Recent Form

8 August 2015
Millennium Stadium, Cardiff
21 – 35 to Ireland

14 March 2015
23 – 16 to Wales

8 February 2014
Aviva Stadium, Dublin
26 – 3 to Ireland

2 February 2013
22 – 30 to Ireland

5 February 2012
Aviva Stadium, Dublin
21 – 23 to Wales

8 October 2011
Regional Stadium, Wellington, New Zealand
22 – 10 to Wales

12 March 2011
19 – 13 to Wales

C. Teams

IRELAND
Ireland v Wales, 29 August - Page 5 Caitri10
Rob Kearney (Leinster), Dave Kearney (Leinster), Luke Fitzgerald (Leinster), Robbie Henshaw (Connacht), Keith Earls (Munster), Johnny Sexton (Leinster), Conor Murray (Munster), Jack McGrath (Leinster), Richardt Strauss (Leinster), Nathan White (Connacht), Iain Henderson (Ulster), Paul O'Connell (Toulon, CAPT), Peter O'Mahony (Munster), Jordi Murphy (Leinster), Jamie Heaslip (Leinster)

Replacements: Sean Cronin (Leinster), Dave Kilcoyne (Munster), Tadhg Furlong (Leinster), Donnacha Ryan (Munster), Sean O'Brien (Leinster), Eoin Reddan (Leinster), Paddy Jackson (Ulster), Felix Jones (Munster)

WALES
Ireland v Wales, 29 August - Page 5 Kather10
Leigh Halfpenny (Toulon), Alex Cuthbert (Cardiff Blues), Scott Williams (Scarlets), Jamie Roberts (Harlequins), George North (Northampton Saints), Dan Biggar (Ospreys), Rhys Webb (Ospreys), Gethin Jenkins (Cardiff Blues), Ken Owens (Scarlets), Tomas Francis (Exeter Chiefs), Bradley Davies (Wasps), Alun Wyn Jones (Ospreys, CAPT), Dan Lydiate (Ospreys), Justin Tipuric (Ospreys), Taulupe Faletau (Newport Gwent Dragons)

Replacements: Scott Baldwin (Ospreys), Paul James (Ospreys), Aaron Jarvis (Ospreys), Luke Charteris (Racing Metro), James King (Ospreys), Gareth Davies (Scarlets), Rhys Priestland (Scarlets), Hallam Amos (Newport Gwent Dragons).

Last edited by George Carlin on Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:55 pm; edited 2 times in total
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Ireland v Wales, 29 August - Page 5 Empty Re: Ireland v Wales, 29 August

Post by Guest Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:19 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:maesteg, I'm in agreement with you here. I think the fixture against Ireland is a must-win game. There's nothing worse than going into the world cup on the back of some embarrassing losses; and there's surely nothing better than going into the world cup on the back of a win against the No.2 team in world rugby!

Normally I wouldn't agree, mikey, but the manner in which Wales lost the last game makes a win for you more important now, I think. I think this game is going to be close, and usually with home advantage I would think an Ireland win, but not so confident now. I think Wales might edge it.

Not so important to win this game for Ireland (although there is the winning for POC thing, I suppose), but I will still cry if we lose Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sat Aug 29, 2015 5:24 am

wayne wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:
bedfordwelsh wrote:
wayne wrote:Some very interesting comments from both AWJ and Gatland yesterday, AWJ said these warm up games are not the be all and end all, the result is not that important, and Gatland said a lot of the players would be very rusty, are they playing down expectations or do they really believe what they are saying?

I think that's a load of bollards, given that its very near the full XV then I think the result is very important.  What happens if they come off second best by a long way to an Irish side that isn't at full strength.  That could have a very negative affect over all.

Well if that happens then we will probably lose to Fiji and Uruguay

1) You need to go and have a look at our warm up games pre WC to see how successful Wales have been in these matches.
2) My Region won our pre season friendly last night, previous seasons we have won 2 games out of 7 pre season, one of which was against Russia, it has not stopped us doing reasonably well in the following season, especially last season.
3) There are many on these boards who would not have 2 of the selected tomorrow, me included in our squad of 31 never mind the team, Bedford you have said in the past you would have Baldwin in the team over Owens, and Tipuric in many opinions on here is not fit to lace WRUburtons boots, so how is that near to our strongest team.

Wayne,

I think the team is 3 maybe four away from our strongest XV that's why I said it.

I think Owens is the best complete hooker we have but I would currently start Baldwin as reward for stepping up to the plate last season but Owens isn't weakening the side.
I would pick Charteris over Davies.
Warburton over Tipuric - this will be a great chance to prove doubters wrong, I actually think its wrong to compare the two as they have different styles of play.
Would go with Liam Williams over Cuthbert but again you can't argue with Cuthberts strike rate.

So that's 4 away from what is possibly our strongest side. Others will point to Francis over Lee but experience wise there not a lot in it and I reckon Francis could easily become 1st choice anyway.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:16 am

Just reading that this will be Paul O'Connell's last game in an Ireland shirt in Dublin

What a relief for anyone who isn't Irish. I say that because he has been an immense player, one who us opposition fans dread. He is not only one of the greatest locks, but one of the greatest players I have ever seen.

Despite the anguish he has caused Wales and the Ospreys with his dogged brilliance it has always been a pleasure to have seen him play. Even more so when he has been wearing a Lions shirt.

I hope today's game is a fine tribute to the man. He deserves every single accolade ever bestowed on him.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by ceilliau_chwyslyd Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:53 am

Hello

Are there many decent pubs for food / pre match atmosphere in and around the Norwich Union Stadium? Our hotel is within walking distance of the stadium.

Cheers!

ceilliau_chwyslyd

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:05 am

maestegmafia wrote:Just reading that this will be Paul O'Connell's last game in an Ireland shirt in Dublin

What a relief for anyone who isn't Irish. I say that because he has been an immense player, one who us opposition fans dread. He is not only one of the greatest locks, but one of the greatest players I have ever seen.

Despite the anguish he has caused Wales and the Ospreys with his dogged brilliance it has always been a pleasure to have seen him play. Even more so when he has been wearing a Lions shirt.

I hope today's game is a fine tribute to the man. He deserves every single accolade ever bestowed on him.

I will second that Maes but won't be to upset if he has a poor game today.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:50 am

bedfordwelsh wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:Just reading that this will be Paul O'Connell's last game in an Ireland shirt in Dublin

I will second that Maes but won't be to upset if he has a poor game today.

Aye,

Don't think I've ever seen or heard of him having a poor game... Maybe the emotion of the day will overcome him and the tears welling in his eyes will obstruct his view of the ball at the line out???

Sure to be more likely that he has the best game in years today...

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:21 am

Are there any highlights being shown on free tv at all later?
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:06 am

S4C surely have something...?

I bit the bullet and took sky sports for the month.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:24 am

bedfordwelsh wrote:
wayne wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:
bedfordwelsh wrote:
wayne wrote:Some very interesting comments from both AWJ and Gatland yesterday, AWJ said these warm up games are not the be all and end all, the result is not that important, and Gatland said a lot of the players would be very rusty, are they playing down expectations or do they really believe what they are saying?

I think that's a load of bollards, given that its very near the full XV then I think the result is very important.  What happens if they come off second best by a long way to an Irish side that isn't at full strength.  That could have a very negative affect over all.

Well if that happens then we will probably lose to Fiji and Uruguay

1) You need to go and have a look at our warm up games pre WC to see how successful Wales have been in these matches.
2) My Region won our pre season friendly last night, previous seasons we have won 2 games out of 7 pre season, one of which was against Russia, it has not stopped us doing reasonably well in the following season, especially last season.
3) There are many on these boards who would not have 2 of the selected tomorrow, me included in our squad of 31 never mind the team, Bedford you have said in the past you would have Baldwin in the team over Owens, and Tipuric in many opinions on here is not fit to lace WRUburtons boots, so how is that near to our strongest team.

Wayne,

I think the team is 3 maybe four away from our strongest XV that's why I said it.  

I think Owens is the best complete hooker we have but I would currently start Baldwin as reward for stepping up to the plate last season but Owens isn't weakening the side.
I would pick Charteris over Davies.
Warburton over Tipuric - this will be a great chance to prove doubters wrong, I actually think its wrong to compare the two as they have different styles of play.
Would go with Liam Williams over Cuthbert but again you can't argue with Cuthberts strike rate.

So that's 4 away from what is possibly our strongest side.  Others will point to Francis over Lee but experience wise there not a lot in it and I reckon Francis could easily become 1st choice anyway.
BW, perhaps the quote I gave was the wrong way to put it, if you read the full article on the Welsh Rugby page of the BBC website, you can fully understand where he is coming from, and personally I totally agree with him, I've said it before and I'll repeat it again, these games are primarily to whittle down the squad from first 47 to 38 and today from 38 to 31, Cuthbert and Amos with Davies and King in the last chance saloon, to me those positions are already sealed with Amos and King for their versatility sealing it. You might see the strongest team against Italy but I wouldn't bet on it.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Aug 29, 2015 12:06 pm

bedfordwelsh wrote:Are there any highlights being shown on free tv at all later?

Highlights are on RTE2 at 8pm, so might be on RTE player?

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Sat Aug 29, 2015 12:58 pm

I am looking forward to seeing Halfpennys golden boots, he wants to make sure he doesn't have them pinched in a ruck

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat Aug 29, 2015 2:09 pm

Dan Biggar is as good, if not quite so long range.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Sat Aug 29, 2015 2:37 pm

Keith Earls seems to hate contact, was the same in the first game

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sat Aug 29, 2015 2:40 pm

Listening on radio sounds good early start by Wales, Sc Williams more confident at 13.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sat Aug 29, 2015 2:43 pm

Some early season rustiness from Sexton so far; kick charged down, nearly cost us a try with a poor defensive read.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sat Aug 29, 2015 2:44 pm

And he slices one out on the full. Yes, he certainly looks like a player starting his first game!
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Sat Aug 29, 2015 2:47 pm

Very interesting battle in the scrum.. not feeling confident from an Irish perspective. Ross could prove to be integral in this World Cup.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sat Aug 29, 2015 2:47 pm

Henderson just destroyed that ruck, that was beast mode.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Sat Aug 29, 2015 2:50 pm

Notch wrote:Henderson just destroyed that ruck, that was beast mode.

He has been excellent so far, really making a huge difference in the rucks and mauls.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sat Aug 29, 2015 2:53 pm

Rory_Gallagher wrote:Very interesting battle in the scrum.. not feeling confident from an Irish perspective. Ross could prove to be integral in this World Cup.

Francis seems to be living up to the hype, Cuthbert not doing himself any favours and a good drive by the Welsh forwards, backs looking (well sounding) sharp Smile
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Sat Aug 29, 2015 2:55 pm

A lot of problems in the line-out for Ireland.. really putting ourselves under a lot of pressure and Wales are looking dangerous at times with ball in hand. Both teams look a bit rusty though, nothing that the "big" teams will be afraid of.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Sat Aug 29, 2015 2:58 pm

Surely pulling the maul down a second time in a try scoring position is a yellow card? Obviously I am happy that Joubert isn't calling it, but I wouldn't be happy if I were Welsh.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sat Aug 29, 2015 2:58 pm

Rory_Gallagher wrote:A lot of problems in the line-out for Ireland.. really putting ourselves under a lot of pressure and Wales are looking dangerous at times with ball in hand. Both teams look a bit rusty though, nothing that the "big" teams will be afraid of.

Aren't Ireland one of the big teams now 2nd in the World Wink
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Sat Aug 29, 2015 3:00 pm

bedfordwelsh wrote:
Rory_Gallagher wrote:A lot of problems in the line-out for Ireland.. really putting ourselves under a lot of pressure and Wales are looking dangerous at times with ball in hand. Both teams look a bit rusty though, nothing that the "big" teams will be afraid of.

It is a bit of a joke in my opinion.. we shall see in the World Cup though. There is very little in it between Wales, Ireland and England.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sat Aug 29, 2015 3:01 pm

bedfordwelsh wrote:

Not if the score stays like this. Think we'd go down to 3rd or 4th. If Wales win by more than 16 they go ahead of us.

Lot of problems in our game right now, will run over them at half-time. Not too concerned about the bigger picture. This is a tough test and thats what we need at this point in the season.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sat Aug 29, 2015 3:04 pm

To be honest I think Wales have more to lose from this game given its pretty close to our first XV and fair play we seem to have stepped up.

Always hard to judge just listening to commentary but forwards sound in good form, Francis seems to being handling it well and backs sound good in parts (bar Cuthbert)
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Sat Aug 29, 2015 3:05 pm

Ken Owens is doing a great job securing the first choice hooker spot so far
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sat Aug 29, 2015 3:06 pm

Cuthbert is certainly the weak link there. But right now Wales are winning the scrum, disrupting our lineout and smashing us backwards in contact. Hard for us to get into the game basically. Henderson might be the only player who is standing up to Wales physicality.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sat Aug 29, 2015 3:12 pm

It's games like this that show the value of us having players like Payne and Trimble in the backs. When we're attacking off slow ball, we look lightweight. We need all the physicality we can get, right across the pitch.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Sat Aug 29, 2015 3:12 pm

Gethin Jenkins, Ken Owens, Tipuric all outstanding in the pack so far, along with the always outstanding AWJ.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sat Aug 29, 2015 3:16 pm

Well done to the Irish front row for that turnover.

Massive carry from Henderson!
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Sat Aug 29, 2015 3:17 pm

Bad time to concede
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Sat Aug 29, 2015 3:17 pm

Notch wrote:Cuthbert is certainly the weak link there. But right now Wales are winning the scrum, disrupting our lineout and smashing us backwards in contact. Hard for us to get into the game basically. Henderson might be the only player who is standing up to Wales physicality.

O'Mahony has been good as well, but Hendy is just something else!

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat Aug 29, 2015 3:18 pm

Good game so far...! A different level to the previous warm up games. This is ferocious stuff.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sat Aug 29, 2015 3:21 pm

All square at half-time. Wales dominated that half, but they lost their focus with a scrum in the last minute and we made them pay.

Ireland- I think our scrum has looked shaky, apart from that last eight-man shove. Hopefully a sign of things to come in the second half. Lineout has been poor to be frank. We haven't looked able to physically match the Welsh in defence or attack with one massive exception; Henderson. I think he saved us a try when with a massive ruck clear out that led to a turnover and he managed to get across the gainline to capitalise on that scrum turnover and scored a fine try. I think Sexton is having a poor game in terms of some of his kicks from hand and defensive reads, still clearly shaking off the rust. 10-12-13 axis looks shaky in defence.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat Aug 29, 2015 3:21 pm

Rory_Gallagher wrote:
Notch wrote:Cuthbert is certainly the weak link there. But right now Wales are winning the scrum, disrupting our lineout and smashing us backwards in contact. Hard for us to get into the game basically. Henderson might be the only player who is standing up to Wales physicality.

O'Mahony has been good as well, but Hendy is just something else!

Wales are playing well but some of the Irish lads are in good form too, Murray, POC, POM, Rob and Dave Kearney...! As well as Henderson obviously...

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Sat Aug 29, 2015 3:22 pm

Wales doing well in the first half, clearly the better team. But Ireland coming back in at the end there, can Wales come back in the second half and get the better of Ireland or will Ireland simply be that bit too much for Wales?

Wales scrum holding up very well.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Sat Aug 29, 2015 3:22 pm

Ireland look off the pace.

Henderson had no right to score there. Thats what he can do.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by overlordofthewest Sat Aug 29, 2015 3:26 pm

Felt a bit robbed at the end. Great Irish scrum to win the ball but after the penalty it looked to me like the Welsh players retreated 10 but the touch judge called it a pen for Ireland.
I'd like to see it back

overlordofthewest

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat Aug 29, 2015 3:28 pm

profitius wrote:Ireland look off the pace.

Henderson had no right to score there. Thats what he can do.

Wales mistake at the scrum gave the Irish a penalty leading to the try. They will focus hard on errors like that.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Sat Aug 29, 2015 3:28 pm

Notch wrote:All square at half-time. Wales dominated that half, but they lost their focus with a scrum in the last minute and we made them pay.

Ireland- I think our scrum has looked shaky, apart from that last eight-man shove. Hopefully a sign of things to come in the second half. Lineout has been poor to be frank. We haven't looked able to physically match the Welsh in defence or attack with one massive exception; Henderson. I think he saved us a try when with a massive ruck clear out that led to a turnover and he managed to get across the gainline to capitalise on that scrum turnover and scored a fine try. I think Sexton is having a poor game in terms of some of his kicks from hand and defensive reads, still clearly shaking off the rust. 10-12-13 axis looks shaky in defence.

That is exactly why Jared Payne is so important for this World Cup, no matter what people think of his abilities in attack. I believe he is going to be one of the key players for Ireland, and the glue to hold our midfield together.

I also think this game may prove that Henderson has to start in the team somewhere. Probably over Toner, because POM is also crucial to the pack and he is having a great game so far too.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sat Aug 29, 2015 3:30 pm

Well, its not really a surprise when Fitzgerald and Henshaw haven't played together and Sexton is having a difficult time hitting the ground running. But you're right in that Henshaw has only played with Payne before this game and you can't underestimate the value of a settled partnership.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Sat Aug 29, 2015 3:31 pm

Yeah Henderson is stepping up big time,the man has to start imo.

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sat Aug 29, 2015 3:35 pm

asoreleftshoulder wrote:Yeah Henderson is stepping up big time,the man has to start imo.

The thing is, France tend to load their bench with big ball carriers and physical specimens and spring them for impact in the second half. The question is whether we're better countering that with our own impact forwards starting or coming at the same time.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Sat Aug 29, 2015 3:38 pm

One man show from Ireland. Our abilities in attack are very worrying though.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat Aug 29, 2015 3:38 pm

Henderson looks like the protégé for O'Connell...

Great display so far

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sat Aug 29, 2015 3:41 pm

He's a blydi nuisance Wink Bradley Davies showing up well also.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sat Aug 29, 2015 3:43 pm

I'd say there's a good chance Warburton won't get back into this Welsh back row at this rate.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Sat Aug 29, 2015 3:43 pm

Justin Tipuric is having a huge game for Wales.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sat Aug 29, 2015 3:44 pm

Adrian Hadley saying the guys look tired and questioning if to much training etc. Its good for Tipuric to get a run in fairly full strength side, King for Lydiate was to be expected.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next