The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ireland v Wales, 29 August

+55
Pete330v2
BigTrevsbigmac
No9
TightHEAD
nathan
Cardiff Dave
R!skysports
Duty281
wrfc1980
stub
englandglory4ever
glamorganalun
theslosty
eirebilly
LondonTiger
asoreleftshoulder
overlordofthewest
majesticimperialman
Rory_Gallagher
marty2086
yappysnap
ceilliau_chwyslyd
The Great Aukster
Don Alfonso
Gwlad
BamBam
GavinDragon
wales606
Pot Hale
Shifty
SecretFly
wayne
the-goon
maestegmafia
profitius
FecklessRogue
irnbrew
kunu
Notch
fa0019
Seagultaf
LordDowlais
mikey_dragon
bedfordwelsh
Jhamer25
thebandwagonsociety
Mickado
jimbopip
Luckless Pedestrian
Marshes
munkian
PhilBB
Golden
Sin é
George Carlin
59 posters

Page 4 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

Ireland v Wales, 29 August - Page 4 Empty Ireland v Wales, 29 August

Post by George Carlin Mon 24 Aug 2015, 6:55 am

First topic message reminder :

Ireland v Wales, 29 August - Page 4 Irelan10 Ireland v Wales, 29 August - Page 4 Wales_10
IRELAND v WALES
29 August 2015
KO: 14:30 local
Aviva Stadium, Dublin

Live on Sky Sports 1/RTÉ Radio 1/IRFU Live Blog/highlights RTÉ Two (8pm

Referee: Craig Joubert (South Africa)
Assistant Referees: Wayne Barnes, Luke Pearce (both England)
TMO: Graham Hughes (England)

A. Head to Head

122 Played 122
50 Won 66
6 Drawn 6
66 Lost 50
1,355 Points 1,445

B. Recent Form

8 August 2015
Millennium Stadium, Cardiff
21 – 35 to Ireland

14 March 2015
23 – 16 to Wales

8 February 2014
Aviva Stadium, Dublin
26 – 3 to Ireland

2 February 2013
22 – 30 to Ireland

5 February 2012
Aviva Stadium, Dublin
21 – 23 to Wales

8 October 2011
Regional Stadium, Wellington, New Zealand
22 – 10 to Wales

12 March 2011
19 – 13 to Wales

C. Teams

IRELAND
Ireland v Wales, 29 August - Page 4 Caitri10
Rob Kearney (Leinster), Dave Kearney (Leinster), Luke Fitzgerald (Leinster), Robbie Henshaw (Connacht), Keith Earls (Munster), Johnny Sexton (Leinster), Conor Murray (Munster), Jack McGrath (Leinster), Richardt Strauss (Leinster), Nathan White (Connacht), Iain Henderson (Ulster), Paul O'Connell (Toulon, CAPT), Peter O'Mahony (Munster), Jordi Murphy (Leinster), Jamie Heaslip (Leinster)

Replacements: Sean Cronin (Leinster), Dave Kilcoyne (Munster), Tadhg Furlong (Leinster), Donnacha Ryan (Munster), Sean O'Brien (Leinster), Eoin Reddan (Leinster), Paddy Jackson (Ulster), Felix Jones (Munster)

WALES
Ireland v Wales, 29 August - Page 4 Kather10
Leigh Halfpenny (Toulon), Alex Cuthbert (Cardiff Blues), Scott Williams (Scarlets), Jamie Roberts (Harlequins), George North (Northampton Saints), Dan Biggar (Ospreys), Rhys Webb (Ospreys), Gethin Jenkins (Cardiff Blues), Ken Owens (Scarlets), Tomas Francis (Exeter Chiefs), Bradley Davies (Wasps), Alun Wyn Jones (Ospreys, CAPT), Dan Lydiate (Ospreys), Justin Tipuric (Ospreys), Taulupe Faletau (Newport Gwent Dragons)

Replacements: Scott Baldwin (Ospreys), Paul James (Ospreys), Aaron Jarvis (Ospreys), Luke Charteris (Racing Metro), James King (Ospreys), Gareth Davies (Scarlets), Rhys Priestland (Scarlets), Hallam Amos (Newport Gwent Dragons).

Last edited by George Carlin on Thu 27 Aug 2015, 12:55 pm; edited 2 times in total
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Ireland v Wales, 29 August - Page 4 Empty Re: Ireland v Wales, 29 August

Post by Notch Thu 27 Aug 2015, 1:59 pm

Put the team-up anyway, it was as predicted.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Thu 27 Aug 2015, 1:59 pm

Ireland: Rob Kearney (Leinster); Dave Kearney (Leinster), Luke Fitzgerald (Leinster), Robbie Henshaw (Connacht), Keith Earls (Munster); Johnny Sexton (Leinster), Conor Murray (Munster); Jack McGrath (Leinster), Richardt Strauss (Leinster), Nathan White (Connacht); Iain Henderson (Ulster), Paul O'Connell (Munster) capt, Peter O'Mahony (Munster), Jordi Murphy (Leinster), Jamie Heaslip (Leinster).

Replacements: Sean Cronin (Leinster), Dave Kilcoyne (Munster), Tadhg Furlong (Leinster), Donnacha Ryan (Munster), Sean O'Brien (Leinster), Eoin Reddan (Leinster), Paddy Jackson (Ulster), Felix Jones (Munster).

Furlong to make his debut. Potentiallly a very good scrummager but he really shines in the loose for a tighthead.

Luke Fitz in the center.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Thu 27 Aug 2015, 1:59 pm

If Joubert lets us scrum it could be rather tasty - especially if Francis is as good as touted.
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Thu 27 Aug 2015, 2:05 pm

munkian wrote:If Joubert lets us scrum it could be rather tasty - especially if Francis is as good as touted.

I hope so actually, I really do. We really need this front row to come under a lot of pressure and see how they cope. We have Italy and France and then if we win both of those probably Argentina in the quarters so we need to know what these second string guys are made of in case the first choice get ruled out... because those teams do not give any quarter at scrum time.

That Cian Healy, Rory Best, Mike Ross front row is our clear first choice and it's telling Healy is being given so long to get fit. No Best or Ross off the bench this week; no cavalry coming to the rescue if these guys don't deliver. Thats good news; we need to see this starting front row own the responsibility and challenge up front because we need to know they can potentially do the same in a knockout game.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Marshes Thu 27 Aug 2015, 2:12 pm

Good opportunity for Earls to dispel any lingering doubts about his defence against North (who I wish a very healthy comeback to!). I felt a lot of the damage versus Scotland seemed to come down Fitzgeralds wing as well, so really want to see him stand up in defence against sterner opposition at 13. D. Kearney for me would have been out of the running by this point even though he has never let himself down in green but Joe really seems to like his contribution and a decent game here could see him as a bolter.

Looking forward to seeing Henderson get a start alongside POC, really abrasive and physical presence both carrying and at the breakdown, deserves his chance to push Toner and Ryan. Good test between McGrath and Francis too, want to see if Francis is up to the hype. Looking forward to seeing Furlong, haven't seen a huge amount of him after the U20 world cup but I know he is very highly rated at Leinster

Marshes

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Thu 27 Aug 2015, 2:13 pm

Notch wrote:
munkian wrote:If Joubert lets us scrum it could be rather tasty - especially if Francis is as good as touted.

I hope so. We really need this front row to come under a lot of pressure and see how they cope. We have Italy and France and then if we win both of those probably Argentina in the quarters so we need to know what these second string guys are made of in case the first choice get ruled out because those teams do not give any quarter at scrum time.

That Cian Healy, Rory Best, Mike Ross front row is our clear first choice and it's telling Healy is being given so long to get fit. No Best or Ross off the bench this week; no cavalry coming to the rescue if these guys don't deliver. Thats good news; we need to see this starting front row own the responsibility and challenge up front because we need to know they can potentially do the same in a knockout game.

Good attitude to have ! thumbsup
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Thu 27 Aug 2015, 2:22 pm

It will be interesting to see how tipuric goes behind a, largely, first choice xv.

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Thu 27 Aug 2015, 2:28 pm

I think that McGrath and White are potentially going to be better combo than Ross or Healy in the RWC, so this match-up should be good this weekend.

Schmidt said in the press conference that Healy is coming on better than first expected, and he amy even get a cameo for 20 mins against England next weekend.

Moore, Trimble, Bowe, are all being looked at for their provinces this weekend too.

When asked about the option of using Madigan as a third 9, he seemed to play down that possibility a bit whilst acknowledging that other RWC squads have considered/chosen to do that.

I think this weekend's match is more about the performance than the victory for Ireland. Pressure is more on Gatland to ensure a victory and a solid performance to build squad confidence.
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Thu 27 Aug 2015, 2:29 pm

what do Irish fans make of the number of warm up games you are playing - could you peak too soon?

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Thu 27 Aug 2015, 2:37 pm

GavinDragon wrote:what do Irish fans make of the number of warm up games you are playing - could you peak too soon?

Ireland always shoot their bolt too soon in the RWC Wink
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Marshes Thu 27 Aug 2015, 2:38 pm

GavinDragon wrote:what do Irish fans make of the number of warm up games you are playing - could you peak too soon?

Personally I think it is dicey to be playing England in Twickenham the week after the squads have been finalised. Could be a high intesity game, lads trying to play themselves into the XV, rivalry etc. We could go into the World Cup with players with little niggles for key games like we have with Healy, Moore and Trimble now. Three warm-up games would be the ideal I think. The way our group games fall they are essentially warm-ups as well anyway ending in Italy and France. Plus you are consigning one to go into the tournament at a loss (more dangerous for England the way their games fall though)

Marshes

Back to top Go down

Post by Marshes Thu 27 Aug 2015, 2:39 pm

munkian wrote:

Beat France, lose to Argentina. I can see it now Sad

Marshes

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Thu 27 Aug 2015, 2:43 pm

Marshes wrote:
munkian wrote:

Beat France, lose to Argentina. I can see it now Sad

My Mrs is Irish - they'll be wailing and gnashing of teeth from at least one of us !
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Thu 27 Aug 2015, 2:52 pm

I don't think we're even going to see the first choice XV on the park together until the RWC starts. You say the number of warm-up games, but really the most starts any player is going to have is 2 games, and then maybe one or two guys will start 3... most players will get 1. 4 games is not exactly a lot when you've used about 40 different players.

I think it would be too much if you're just using a core group of about 25-30 players. But I don't think we could get away with less games while rotating as much as we have. I mean this the third completely new back line we've named in three games. 14 changes from the first game to the second, 14 changes from the second game to the third with one positional switch.

You're going to peak too soon if you name the same side every week and they run out of gas- this game is the first warm-up game for most of our key players, so no.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Thu 27 Aug 2015, 3:35 pm

GavinDragon wrote:It will be interesting to see how tipuric goes behind a, largely, first choice xv.

He'll probably be standing on the wing as usual. Hope he gets into the breakdown and makes a nuisance of himself. Warburton's boots are big ones to fill.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Thu 27 Aug 2015, 8:13 pm

A lot of people (not me) would pick Tipuric first over Warburton so this will be a good chance as you mentioned so see if he can fill the slot.

Great to see Francis finally get a cap and with injury doubts now over Anscombe I would have liked to see M Morgan get some game time.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Thu 27 Aug 2015, 9:32 pm

How strong is this Ireland team off first choice?
Looking at Wales I don't think were that far off our best team, I'm chuffed Jarvis isn't playing but I know nothing about Francis to be honest.
That could easily pass for Wales strongest team, I'll be glad to see Bradley Davies back well need him to keep O'Connell quiet.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Thu 27 Aug 2015, 10:00 pm

Probably... 7 clear first choice players in there. O'Connell, O'Mahony, Heaslip, Murray, Sexton, Henshaw, Kearney. I honestly don't know who the first choice back three players are going to be. Those two wingers are in contention though.

So it's about 50% first choice.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Thu 27 Aug 2015, 10:14 pm

Notch wrote:Probably... 7 clear first choice players in there. O'Connell, O'Mahony, Heaslip, Murray, Sexton, Henshaw, Kearney. I honestly don't know who the first choice back three players are going to be. Those two wingers are in contention though.

So it's about 50% first choice.

Did you actually mean that - as in you don't regard Rob Kearney as a first choice?

I can see how Schmidt might want to mix things up for a a couple of the pool matches, but in the Italy and France games, I can see R Kearney starting at 15.

I'd agree with your 7 though. On the bench Cronin, Reddan, O'Brien are the other likely members of the first overall 23. So about 43.478% of the likely match-day squad. Smile
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Thu 27 Aug 2015, 10:32 pm

No, I said Kearney in the list. I meant Rob, not Dave.

I should have said I don't know who the first choice wingers are going to be. Sorry.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by FecklessRogue Fri 28 Aug 2015, 1:20 am

Wales have Australia first up. Ireland's match against France is their fourth. So if both team are getting their preparations right Wales should be closer to peak performance for this than Ireland. I'd expect a locked and loaded performance from the Welsh for this.
FecklessRogue
FecklessRogue

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Fri 28 Aug 2015, 5:17 am

FecklessRogue wrote:Wales have Australia first up. Ireland's match against France is their fourth. So if both team are getting their preparations right Wales should be closer to peak performance for this than Ireland. I'd expect a locked and loaded performance from the Welsh for this.

No they dont they have Aus last.

Uruguay, Eng, Fiji, Aus

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Fri 28 Aug 2015, 5:28 am

FecklessRogue wrote:Wales have Australia first up. Ireland's match against France is their fourth. So if both team are getting their preparations right Wales should be closer to peak performance for this than Ireland. I'd expect a locked and loaded performance from the Welsh for this.

If by first you mean last then you're right Wink
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Fri 28 Aug 2015, 5:30 am

Shifty wrote:How strong is this Ireland team off first choice?  
Looking at Wales I don't think were that far off our best team, I'm chuffed Jarvis isn't playing but I know nothing about Francis to be honest.  
That could easily pass for Wales strongest team, I'll be glad to see Bradley Davies back well need him to keep O'Connell quiet.

Depending on Lees fitness then that could be our strongest front row.

One player change in 2nd and backrow to what will be strongest.

One player change in back 3 to what will be strongest, again depending on injury.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Fri 28 Aug 2015, 6:20 am

Risca Rev wrote:Bit shocked to see Cuthbert in, when it would have benefitted Amos or Walker to start in that first choice team (pretty much).

It is odd, considering that he played the full 80 in the first warm-up match. They must know by now what he offers, and what he doesn't offer, in attack. My guess is that they want to look again at his defence, and if he's as poor in defence as he was in the first match, he could play himself out of the squad.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 28 Aug 2015, 7:25 am

Maybe they just think Cuthbert needs game time to find form...

He looked errant in the last match. Bar scoring his try

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Don Alfonso Fri 28 Aug 2015, 9:26 am

maestegmafia wrote:He looked errant in the last match

What a fantastic turn of phrase.

Don Alfonso

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Fri 28 Aug 2015, 9:32 am

Don Alfonso wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:He looked errant in the last match

What a fantastic turn of phrase.

With a stylish sense of elan ?
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Don Alfonso Fri 28 Aug 2015, 9:51 am

Delivered with fizzing aplomb.

Don Alfonso

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 28 Aug 2015, 10:25 am

Got an A'Level in English a long time ago...

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by irnbrew Fri 28 Aug 2015, 10:45 am

i wish i did .i was informed on another thread that the point i was making was good but my grammar was bad .

irnbrew

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Fri 28 Aug 2015, 11:04 am

irnbrew wrote: I wish I did. I was informed on another thread that the point I was making was good but my grammar was bad .

They weren't wrong Wink
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Fri 28 Aug 2015, 11:12 am

But your taste in soft drinks is impeccable. OK

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Fri 28 Aug 2015, 11:12 am

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:But your taste in soft drinks is impeccable. OK

Nae soft about Irnbru pal
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Fri 28 Aug 2015, 12:21 pm

Some very interesting comments from both AWJ and Gatland yesterday, AWJ said these warm up games are not the be all and end all, the result is not that important, and Gatland said a lot of the players would be very rusty, are they playing down expectations or do they really believe what they are saying?

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 28 Aug 2015, 12:30 pm

Why would you not believe what they say???

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Fri 28 Aug 2015, 12:36 pm

Is that a serious question, Maes?

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 28 Aug 2015, 12:41 pm

Of course.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Fri 28 Aug 2015, 12:51 pm

wayne wrote:Some very interesting comments from both AWJ and Gatland yesterday, AWJ said these warm up games are not the be all and end all, the result is not that important, and Gatland said a lot of the players would be very rusty, are they playing down expectations or do they really believe what they are saying?

Well, the result obviously isn't the important thing. It's great to win and to perform well, but as an example I'd rather we lost the scrum battle tomorrow and learned about the understudies to Best and Ross than if we had just played our first choice front row and gained the advantage there. This is about preparing players for the World Cup, whether they be first choice or be in line to make the first choice team if there is an injury or two. I think the worst possible result is one like we had in Cardiff a few weeks ago where it's just too easily won to learn anything from. You want to see how the team responds to pressure, and whether we win or lose doesn't matter so much. As for rustiness, it's the first game of the season for several of the Ireland players and many of the Wales players. Rustiness is inevitable.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 28 Aug 2015, 12:55 pm

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:Is that a serious question, Maes?

Notch wrote:
wayne wrote:Some very interesting comments from both AWJ and Gatland yesterday, AWJ said these warm up games are not the be all and end all, the result is not that important, and Gatland said a lot of the players would be very rusty, are they playing down expectations or do they really believe what they are saying?

Well, the result obviously isn't the important thing. It's great to win and to perform well, but as an example I'd rather we lost the scrum battle tomorrow and learned about the understudies to Best and Ross than if we had just played our first choice front row and gained the advantage there. This is about preparing players for the World Cup, whether they be first choice or be in line to make the first choice team if there is an injury or two. I think the worst possible result is one like we had in Cardiff a few weeks ago where it's just too easily won to learn anything from. You want to see how the team responds to pressure, and whether we win or lose doesn't matter so much. As for rustiness, it's the first game of the season for several of the Ireland players and many of the Wales players. Rustiness is inevitable.

Luckless There's a profound answer to your question if I saw one.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Fri 28 Aug 2015, 12:57 pm

Maes, your question was this:

maestegmafia wrote:Why would you not believe what they say???

Which I can't believe is a sincere question, unless you've never heard of mind games.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Fri 28 Aug 2015, 1:03 pm

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:Maes, your question was this:

maestegmafia wrote:Why would you not believe what they say???

Which I can't believe is a sincere question, unless you've never heard of mind games.
Luckless, exactly, Gatland is known for mind games, whereas AWJ as far as I know is not.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Fri 28 Aug 2015, 4:21 pm

Well lets hope Ireland let us win one for a change! Hug Hug Hug
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Fri 28 Aug 2015, 6:34 pm

I think that's a load of bollards, given that its very near the full XV then I think the result is very important. What happens if they come off second best by a long way to an Irish side that isn't at full strength. That could have a very negative affect over all.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Fri 28 Aug 2015, 7:54 pm

Shifty wrote:Well lets hope Ireland let us win one for a change! Hug Hug Hug

Normally we win in Cardiff and you win in Dublin so...
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 28 Aug 2015, 9:30 pm

bedfordwelsh wrote:

I think that's a load of bollards, given that its very near the full XV then I think the result is very important.  What happens if they come off second best by a long way to an Irish side that isn't at full strength.  That could have a very negative affect over all.

Well if that happens then we will probably lose to Fiji and Uruguay

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Fri 28 Aug 2015, 9:45 pm

maesteg, I'm in agreement with you here. I think the fixture against Ireland is a must-win game. There's nothing worse than going into the world cup on the back of some embarrassing losses; and there's surely nothing better than going into the world cup on the back of a win against the No.2 team in world rugby!

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great Aukster Fri 28 Aug 2015, 9:52 pm

Ireland are fifth favourites - they're nowhere near being the second best team in world rugby (other than on paper).

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Fri 28 Aug 2015, 9:55 pm

The Great Aukster wrote:Ireland are fifth favourites - they're nowhere near being the second best team in world rugby (other than on paper).

That's why it'd be a good morale boost Wink.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Fri 28 Aug 2015, 9:58 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
bedfordwelsh wrote:

I think that's a load of bollards, given that its very near the full XV then I think the result is very important.  What happens if they come off second best by a long way to an Irish side that isn't at full strength.  That could have a very negative affect over all.

Well if that happens then we will probably lose to Fiji and Uruguay

1) You need to go and have a look at our warm up games pre WC to see how successful Wales have been in these matches.
2) My Region won our pre season friendly last night, previous seasons we have won 2 games out of 7 pre season, one of which was against Russia, it has not stopped us doing reasonably well in the following season, especially last season.
3) There are many on these boards who would not have 2 of the selected tomorrow, me included in our squad of 31 never mind the team, Bedford you have said in the past you would have Baldwin in the team over Owens, and Tipuric in many opinions on here is not fit to lace WRUburtons boots, so how is that near to our strongest team.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next