The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ireland v Wales, 29 August

+55
Pete330v2
BigTrevsbigmac
No9
TightHEAD
nathan
Cardiff Dave
R!skysports
Duty281
wrfc1980
stub
englandglory4ever
glamorganalun
theslosty
eirebilly
LondonTiger
asoreleftshoulder
overlordofthewest
majesticimperialman
Rory_Gallagher
marty2086
yappysnap
ceilliau_chwyslyd
The Great Aukster
Don Alfonso
Gwlad
BamBam
GavinDragon
wales606
Pot Hale
Shifty
SecretFly
wayne
the-goon
maestegmafia
profitius
FecklessRogue
irnbrew
kunu
Notch
fa0019
Seagultaf
LordDowlais
mikey_dragon
bedfordwelsh
Jhamer25
thebandwagonsociety
Mickado
jimbopip
Luckless Pedestrian
Marshes
munkian
PhilBB
Golden
Sin é
George Carlin
59 posters

Page 3 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

Ireland v Wales, 29 August - Page 3 Empty Ireland v Wales, 29 August

Post by George Carlin Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:55 am

First topic message reminder :

Ireland v Wales, 29 August - Page 3 Irelan10 Ireland v Wales, 29 August - Page 3 Wales_10
IRELAND v WALES
29 August 2015
KO: 14:30 local
Aviva Stadium, Dublin

Live on Sky Sports 1/RTÉ Radio 1/IRFU Live Blog/highlights RTÉ Two (8pm

Referee: Craig Joubert (South Africa)
Assistant Referees: Wayne Barnes, Luke Pearce (both England)
TMO: Graham Hughes (England)

A. Head to Head

122 Played 122
50 Won 66
6 Drawn 6
66 Lost 50
1,355 Points 1,445

B. Recent Form

8 August 2015
Millennium Stadium, Cardiff
21 – 35 to Ireland

14 March 2015
23 – 16 to Wales

8 February 2014
Aviva Stadium, Dublin
26 – 3 to Ireland

2 February 2013
22 – 30 to Ireland

5 February 2012
Aviva Stadium, Dublin
21 – 23 to Wales

8 October 2011
Regional Stadium, Wellington, New Zealand
22 – 10 to Wales

12 March 2011
19 – 13 to Wales

C. Teams

IRELAND
Ireland v Wales, 29 August - Page 3 Caitri10
Rob Kearney (Leinster), Dave Kearney (Leinster), Luke Fitzgerald (Leinster), Robbie Henshaw (Connacht), Keith Earls (Munster), Johnny Sexton (Leinster), Conor Murray (Munster), Jack McGrath (Leinster), Richardt Strauss (Leinster), Nathan White (Connacht), Iain Henderson (Ulster), Paul O'Connell (Toulon, CAPT), Peter O'Mahony (Munster), Jordi Murphy (Leinster), Jamie Heaslip (Leinster)

Replacements: Sean Cronin (Leinster), Dave Kilcoyne (Munster), Tadhg Furlong (Leinster), Donnacha Ryan (Munster), Sean O'Brien (Leinster), Eoin Reddan (Leinster), Paddy Jackson (Ulster), Felix Jones (Munster)

WALES
Ireland v Wales, 29 August - Page 3 Kather10
Leigh Halfpenny (Toulon), Alex Cuthbert (Cardiff Blues), Scott Williams (Scarlets), Jamie Roberts (Harlequins), George North (Northampton Saints), Dan Biggar (Ospreys), Rhys Webb (Ospreys), Gethin Jenkins (Cardiff Blues), Ken Owens (Scarlets), Tomas Francis (Exeter Chiefs), Bradley Davies (Wasps), Alun Wyn Jones (Ospreys, CAPT), Dan Lydiate (Ospreys), Justin Tipuric (Ospreys), Taulupe Faletau (Newport Gwent Dragons)

Replacements: Scott Baldwin (Ospreys), Paul James (Ospreys), Aaron Jarvis (Ospreys), Luke Charteris (Racing Metro), James King (Ospreys), Gareth Davies (Scarlets), Rhys Priestland (Scarlets), Hallam Amos (Newport Gwent Dragons).

Last edited by George Carlin on Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:55 pm; edited 2 times in total
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Ireland v Wales, 29 August - Page 3 Empty Re: Ireland v Wales, 29 August

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:32 pm

LordDowlais wrote:
Luckless Pedestrian wrote:The point I'm making is that just because you interpreted it as nerves, doesn't mean it was nerves.

Ok, fair enough, but he did look very nervous to me. Eli on the other hand did not. Nothing about ability or who is better, just who handled the occasion better. OK

You're still not acknowledging the point that it's easier to 'handle the occasion better' if you're playing in the position you've played all season!

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:37 pm

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:
Luckless Pedestrian wrote:The point I'm making is that just because you interpreted it as nerves, doesn't mean it was nerves.

Ok, fair enough, but he did look very nervous to me. Eli on the other hand did not. Nothing about ability or who is better, just who handled the occasion better. OK

You're still not acknowledging the point that it's easier to 'handle the occasion better' if you're playing in the position you've played all season!

Key decision for me would be that Amos can play two positions.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:55 pm

LordDowlais wrote:
munkian wrote:When was Walker last fit enough to play in a 'high profile' game ?

He has played in top tier European games. One would still be more than Hallam Amos. Anyway, this is going away from the point, I do not think one is better than the other, I think they are both on a par with each other at the moment.

Hmmm, I'm beginning to find your point of view quite astonishing. I don't see how Walker being part of a team regularly getting thrashed by Northampton meant that he played better in the previous fixture (Wales vs Ireland). I didn't see anything of the sort. FYI Amos has competed at a high level in the challenge cup, and in most games throughout the season he does well to live off scraps of possession. BTW, Amos has two caps. Walker has one. You can't get more high profile than that. Amos > Walker chin thumbsup.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Tue Aug 25, 2015 4:06 pm

LordDowlais wrote:

I don't think he looked nervous. And don't see how Walker handled the situation better by fluffing a certain try... I would take both of these guys over Cuthbert right now. But Gatland will likely select Cuthbert and one other.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Tue Aug 25, 2015 4:10 pm

Ok mikey, fair enough. But without trying to upset Dragons fans on here, there is a lot more expectation when playing for Ospreys than playing for Dragons, and even if you are getting smashed by Northampton, at least you are doing it infront of a full house and not an empty stadium in Paris where the opposition does not give a FF about the competition.

Look, the Dragons fans on here seem to be taking this a little too personally, I am not slagging the player off or putting him down. On the contrary, I think the kid is going to be a superstar. I just think Eli Walker handled the last game better than Hallam Amos did, thats all. Nothing sinister. Thats just how I saw it.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Tue Aug 25, 2015 4:27 pm

"...there is a lot more expectation when playing for Ospreys than playing for Dragons, and even if you are getting smashed by Northampton, at least you are doing it infront of a full house and not an empty stadium in Paris where the opposition does not give a FF about the competition."

So is that how Walker somehow played better than Amos in this game (when he didn't)?

I'm not taking it personally. I think Ospreys fans will be shouting for Walker, and Dragons fans for Amos. That's just natural. I just find your reasoning a bit stupid.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Tue Aug 25, 2015 4:30 pm

ok. Sorry

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Tue Aug 25, 2015 4:40 pm

LordDowlais wrote:ok. Sorry

Laugh No need. At least you stuck to your guns, I like that trait in a person.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue Aug 25, 2015 4:42 pm

LordDowlais wrote:Ok mikey, fair enough. But without trying to upset Dragons fans on here, there is a lot more expectation when playing for Ospreys than playing for Dragons, and even if you are getting smashed by Northampton, at least you are doing it infront of a full house and not an empty stadium in Paris where the opposition does not give a FF about the competition

The idea that because Player A plays for a successful region, he must therefore be better than Player B, who plays for an unsuccessful region, has always been bogus. It's what delayed Lydiate and Faletau getting called up despite their form meriting it.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Tue Aug 25, 2015 4:47 pm

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:The idea that Player A plays for a successful region, and must therefore be better than Player B, who plays for an unsuccessful region, has always been bogus

The success of a team has nothing to do with anything. Parrise one of the worlds best has been playing for Italy, no disrespect to them mind. I just think, that sometimes, when a player is given more exposure to high pressure environments, it gives him a little extra the next time he is exposed. Eli has been exposed to these situations more times than Hallam, that is all I am saying. You never know, Hallam might make the squad and it will give him invaluable experience, but at the moment, ability wise there is nothing in it, but Eli seams more self assured than Hallam on the bigger occasion.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue Aug 25, 2015 4:57 pm

How much top class rugby has Eli Walker played? I'm not trying to be clever, I'd genuinely like to know. My impression is that he's been out injured a hell of a lot.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Tue Aug 25, 2015 5:50 pm

You can hardly call a game at the Liberty some extreme exposure... I know Walker played against Racing Metro away though, and fairly well from what I remember.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:20 pm

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:How much top class rugby has Eli Walker played? I'm not trying to be clever, I'd genuinely like to know. My impression is that he's been out injured a hell of a lot.

Eli without being an international is probably worth about 15 games a season a year to the Ospreys, and yes hes injured half the time. He's played 54 games for the Ospreys over 5 seasons, though only played one game in his first season.

I hope Wales are competitive in Ireland, and we pick a team that does justice to the shirt. I'll be bouncing if Jarvis plays though steam
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:20 pm

LordDowlais wrote:Ok mikey, fair enough. But without trying to upset Dragons fans on here, there is a lot more expectation when playing for Ospreys than playing for Dragons, and even if you are getting smashed by Northampton, at least you are doing it infront of a full house and not an empty stadium in Paris where the opposition does not give a FF about the competition

The idea that because Player A plays for a successful region, he must therefore be better than Player B, who plays for an unsuccessful region, has always been bogus. It's what delayed Lydiate and Faletau getting called up despite their form meriting it.

And charteris

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:21 pm

Shifty wrote:
Luckless Pedestrian wrote:How much top class rugby has Eli Walker played? I'm not trying to be clever, I'd genuinely like to know. My impression is that he's been out injured a hell of a lot.

Eli without being an international is probably worth about 15 games a season a year to the Ospreys, and yes hes injured half the time.  He's played 54 games for the Ospreys over 5 seasons, though only played one game in his first season.  

I hope Wales are competitive in Ireland, and we pick a team that does justice to the shirt.  I'll be bouncing if Jarvis plays though steam

Jarvis did well against Ireland in the six nations.

Last edited by maestegmafia on Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:51 pm; edited 1 time in total

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by PhilBB Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:27 pm

Faletau was called up when he was 19. What form did he show before then to warrant this call up? He'd started only 6 senior games at 8 before his call up.
PhilBB
PhilBB

http://www.cardiffrfcfans.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:33 pm

PhilBB wrote:

Faletau was called up when he was 19. What form did he show before then to warrant this call up? He'd started only 6 senior games at 8 before his call up.

Here is a link to Faletau's first inclusion in the Welsh squad in the autumn of 2010. He had only just finished playing in the junior RWC.

His first cap wasn't until the Baa Baas match 8 months later.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/international/wales/8102430/Wales-v-Australia-Dragons-forward-Toby-Faletau-called-into-autumn-internationals-squad.html

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:44 pm

As Maes said... And PhilBB, I think you should be asking that question in regard to first caps like Tom Prydie, Andries Pretorious, Dan Baker, Dafydd Howells...

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:17 pm

Did we cap pretorious? Wow, he did not last long. When was that?

Daff Howells locked very good this year, him and Ollie Griffiths both looked great prospects

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:40 am

Andrew Trimble. Tommy Bowe.
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:47 am

I am quite excited to see what they announce as the team. There probably won't be many unexpected selections but there may be a few.

This time last RWC, after a month in camp Wales started to really play some smart rugby. I hope we see some positive performances this time.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by thebandwagonsociety Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:14 am

This game is going to cause injuries. Reckon a bookie would put the over/under mark at 2.5 players put out of the world cup off the back of this.

thebandwagonsociety

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:12 pm

If Ireland lose SexWee they are doomed
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Marshes Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:24 pm

munkian wrote:If Ireland lose SexWee  they are doomed

Murray or Mike Ross. But then Wales could say the same for Biggar, Roberts or Webb!

Marshes

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:46 pm

I think we are more concerned about tighthead props than backs mate...

If Francis and Jarvis, the likely two tighthead a for this weekend went down we would be calling for Adam Jones and graham price...

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Marshes Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:42 pm

Looking forward to seeing Francis this weekend, from what I've seen of Jarvis I don't think he is up to scratch. But Samson Lee is hoped to be back too no?

Marshes

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:47 pm

Marshes wrote:Looking forward to seeing Francis this weekend, from what I've seen of Jarvis I don't think he is up to scratch. But Samson Lee is hoped to be back too no?

I remember reading this a few weeks ago, I do not know if anything has changed since:-

http://www.southwales-eveningpost.co.uk/Samson-Lee-fit-Wales-s-World-Cup-warm-Ireland/story-26768160-detail/story.html

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed Aug 26, 2015 4:42 pm

From what I have seen of him Francis looks better than Jarvis, but time will tell in the big arena.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Wed Aug 26, 2015 5:02 pm

Anyone know when the teams will be announced? I'm guessing sometime tomorrow?
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Wed Aug 26, 2015 5:04 pm

maestegmafia wrote:From what I have seen of him Francis looks better than Jarvis, but time will tell in the big arena.

He demolished a saints first choice pack containing corbisiero.

If that is anything to go by, I would argue he may even be a better scrummager than Lee

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Wed Aug 26, 2015 5:19 pm

Tomorrow at 11 I believe
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 26, 2015 5:43 pm

I don't rate Corbisiero anymore. Whoever was Dragons' tighthead v him last season at Ebbw Vale had Corbisiero taken care of too.

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:12 pm

A few on here will be pleased, it appears Anscombe could well be out, wearing a foot protector apparently.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:15 pm

wayne wrote:A few on here will be pleased, it appears Anscombe could well be out, wearing a foot protector apparently.

You mean a shoe? Headscratch

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:48 pm

wayne wrote:A few on here will be pleased, it appears Anscombe could well be out, wearing a foot protector apparently.

Well yeh Rolling Eyes

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:00 pm

wayne wrote:

Well yeh Rolling Eyes

One big show one small one...!

Shame he looked sharp in Cardiff

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:29 am

Possible Ireland team for announcement tomorrow may have a few surprise picks in the starting line-up:

1. McGrath
2. Strauss/Best
3. White
4. Henderson
5. O'Connell
6. O'Mahony
7. Murphy
8. Heaslip
9. Murray
10. Sexton
11. Earls/DKearney
12. Henshaw
13. Fitzgerald
14. DKearney/Earls
15. RKearney
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:18 am

Shane Williams on BBC said

"It was unfortunate for them against Ireland because they played in a backline that was on the back foot," said Wales' record try-scorer.

"So I'd love to see those two boys get another shout in a backline that's on the front foot.

"For that to happen Wales will need an experienced, strong forward pack which unfortunately we didn't have in the first game.

"So, yes, let's blood some youngsters but let's put them in a squad that's full of experience that will be able to compete against a strong Ireland side."

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:17 pm

Halfpenny, Cuthbert, S Williams, Roberts, North, Biggar, Webb, Jenkins, Owens, Francis, Davies, AWJ (c), Lydiate, Tipuric, Faletau

Baldwin, James, Jarvis, Charteris, King, Davies, Priestland, Amos

Don't know what's up with the skipper yet. Bit shocked to see Cuthbert in, when it would have benefitted Amos or Walker to start in that first choice team (pretty much).

Last edited by Risca Rev on Sat Aug 29, 2015 6:23 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:19 pm

Good to see Wales bringing the big guns. This game is going to be a lot more of a full-blooded test match than the game a few weeks ago; O'Connell, Murray, Sexton, Heaslip, O'Mahony, Henshaw and Kearney all set to return for Ireland too.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:25 pm

Strong side from Wales, when is that slacker Schmidt going to pull his finger out and name a side Wink

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:48 pm

Very strong team, I hope they do well.

I assume Warburton must be injured :/
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:48 pm

slight shoulder knock. Could have played this week, but they have decided to rest him.

Anscombe out for 1-2 weeks, will be assessed daily before a decision is made

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:55 pm

Decent squad and bench - last chance saloon for Cuthbert ?

munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:57 pm

Notch wrote:Good to see Wales bringing the big guns. This game is going to be a lot more of a full-blooded test match than the game a few weeks ago; O'Connell, Murray, Sexton, Heaslip, O'Mahony, Henshaw and Kearney all set to return for Ireland too.
Notch, you're a man who knows things. What's the Ireland 23 going to be, then?
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Thu Aug 27, 2015 1:30 pm

Francis getting his first cap as predicted. Can't see how or why Bradley Davies is starting though.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Thu Aug 27, 2015 1:30 pm

Well, if you can't wait 15 minutes for the real thing the rumoured team is;

McGrath, Strauss, White, Henderson, O'Connell (c), O'Mahony, Murphy, Heaslip, Murray, Sexton, D. Kearney, Henshaw, Fitzgerald, Earls, R. Kearney

Subs- mostly unknown but Paddy Jackson expected to cover 10.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Thu Aug 27, 2015 1:39 pm

Will that front rpw be considered weaker than the one Ireland put out against Wales a couple weeks ago?

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Thu Aug 27, 2015 1:40 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:Will that front rpw be considered weaker than the one Ireland put out against Wales a couple weeks ago?

I consider it weaker, I do not know if anybody else does though.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Thu Aug 27, 2015 1:40 pm

Well yes, as the only difference between the two front rows is Mike Ross isn't playing. Mike Ross is by some distance our best tight head.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next