The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dean Ryan to coach Worcester

+11
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
cakeordeath
Pat_Mustard
chris_501
beshocked
Tattie Scones RRN
TJ1
HongKongCherry
formerly known as Sam
EWT Spoons
George Carlin
15 posters

Go down

Dean Ryan to coach Worcester  Empty Dean Ryan to coach Worcester

Post by George Carlin Wed 17 Apr 2013, 7:27 am

Pretty terrible news for Scotland fans who were hoping he would stay, I presume that this might be good news if you're a Warriors fan, but I know some people have their reservations.

This from Smithers in the Herald:

Worcester woo former Scotland forwards coach Dean Ryan
Wednesday 17 April 2013

Dean Ryan, Scotland's forwards coach during the RBS 6 Nations, looks set to perform a remarkable U-turn by returning to full-time coaching, but will not be doing so at Murrayfield.

The former England lock had repeatedly insisted the importance of providing stability for his family meant his return to a tracksuit was for a single campaign only and that after fulfilling his 12-week contract he would be focusing on his work as a television analyst.

However, it emerged yesterday that Ryan is expected to join the Aviva Premiership club Worcester Warriors, replacing Richard Hill, who was sacked as their head coach yesterday.

Notoriously abrasive in his playing days, Ryan repeatedly stated, on being appointed by Scott Johnson, Scotland's caretaker head coach, that his aim was to help the team deliver "bloody noses", something they achieved when beating Ireland in a championship match at Murrayfield for the first time in a dozen years.

However, given that he has now chosen to reverse his stance, it now appears that, doubtless inadvertently, he has reserved the biggest blow of all for those who brought him into the Scotland camp. A spokesman for the Scottish Rugby Union said they were grateful to be invited to pass comment on the news but had none to make.

If confirmed, Ryan's decision will clearly be embarrassing for the Murrayfield hierarchy given the enthusiasm with which Johnson expressed himself on being asked little more than a month ago if he would try to persuade his assistant to stay on with Scotland.

"I think Dean's had a really deep impact on the squad and we'd be silly not to talk to him about that," Johnson said shortly after the team had recorded back-to-back championship wins for the first time since that defeat of Ireland in 2001. "He's a quality coach, a quality bloke, who fits the profile and that's a good thing, so certainly you can only get told no can't you. I've been there a few times in life. It won't stop me asking."

It would seem that the answer he has received has been emphatic.

Not a done deal, but it seems very, very likely.

This surely deals a bit of a hammer blow to SJ's move to retain the head coach slot?

If it's individuals you're displacing and not a 'team', surely the SRU will feel under less pressure to keep the status quo?

Last edited by George Carlin on Wed 17 Apr 2013, 8:42 am; edited 1 time in total
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Dean Ryan to coach Worcester  Empty Re: Dean Ryan to coach Worcester

Post by EWT Spoons Wed 17 Apr 2013, 7:54 am

Given how poorly our forwards did during the 6 nations it's no great loss in my opinion.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed 17 Apr 2013, 8:21 am

A man who was deemed not good enough last time he applied for the job and who has not held down a club job in a few years. Hmm, all they need to do is bring in Back as defence coach and Andy Key as backs coach then they'll really have screwed this one up.

You'd have thought that they'd have tried to bring in Hunter before he joined the Chiefs as forwards coach or made a play for someone with forward thinking ideas Haag from Notts or Austin Healey. If they are replacing a safe coach why go for an even more average safe coach?

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Wed 17 Apr 2013, 8:49 am

They must have gone grovelling to Ryan. However, I do wonder last time round what influence Marcel Garvey had on the decision. He and Ryan had an infamous falling out and he left Glaws due to this. Whilst clearly he wasn't involved in the decision making process at Wuss, the Board may have considered the fact Ryan's appointment would unsettle one of their players and more than likely force them to leave... which he did anyway!

I've got a lot of time for Dean Ryan, he's a top guy, but his coaching is incredibly controlling and I wonder if he'll truly be the coach to make them break into the top 4/6? Personally i feel Hill has on a hiding to nothing as you can only be as good as the players you've got and Wuss have been decidedly average for a while. It is down to the board as much as the coach to retain players like Mullan and Kvesic. Unless they give Ryan some real financial backing I doubt he'll be able to retain their other top players either.
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ1 Wed 17 Apr 2013, 9:22 am

Makes no odds to me - I couldn't see he brought anything to the teamand our forwards were worse than last year.

Hopefully Johnson follows him and we get a real coach with quality

TJ1

Back to top Go down

Post by Tattie Scones RRN Wed 17 Apr 2013, 9:37 am

TJ wrote:Makes no odds to me - I couldn't see he brought anything to the teamand our forwards were worse than last year.

+1

Tattie Scones RRN

Back to top Go down

Post by Tattie Scones RRN Wed 17 Apr 2013, 9:37 am

TJ wrote:Makes no odds to me - I couldn't see he brought anything to the teamand our forwards were worse than last year.

+1

Tattie Scones RRN

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Wed 17 Apr 2013, 10:08 am

formerly known as Sam wrote:A man who was deemed not good enough last time he applied for the job and who has not held down a club job in a few years. Hmm, all they need to do is bring in Back as defence coach and Andy Key as backs coach then they'll really have screwed this one up.

You'd have thought that they'd have tried to bring in Hunter before he joined the Chiefs as forwards coach or made a play for someone with forward thinking ideas Haag from Notts or Austin Healey. If they are replacing a safe coach why go for an even more average safe coach?

Why would Worcester want Back? Back hasn't exactly got an impressive coaching record has he?

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed 17 Apr 2013, 10:19 am

Beshocked you missed the sarcasm I was laying on there. The whole Dean Ryan thing is a poor decision could only be made worse by appointing equally average coaches such as Backie. It's unimaginative. Martin Haag, for instance, has got his Notts team playing a very good brand of rugby and would be a far better choice in ky eyes.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Wed 17 Apr 2013, 10:50 am

Oh right apologies Sam. I didn't see the sarcasm.

We'll see Dean Ryan can work some magic on Worcester.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by chris_501 Wed 17 Apr 2013, 11:52 am

I agree that without the quality of players Wuss will struggle to break into Heineken Cup contention. For the last few years we don't seem to have progressed in our signings, and miss that bit of quality to move up.

It's such a competitive league that almost every game counts big, which is definitely a good thing but without the Heineken cup we will be resigned to signing players like Meires and Warwick, not bad, but will have to really perform to boost the club up the league.

At least we will hope to get our forwards a little bit more grizzly and competitive away from home, can see Lemi getting very cold out on the wing though!

chris_501

Back to top Go down

Post by Pat_Mustard Wed 17 Apr 2013, 12:02 pm

Maybe he will realise Alex Grove can play, and send a friendly text to Scott Johnson to let him know!

Pat_Mustard

Back to top Go down

Post by cakeordeath Wed 17 Apr 2013, 12:52 pm

Tattie Scones RRN wrote:

+1

+1

I think the stars are lining up nicely. The IRFU are going to make the wrong decision. Leaving Ewen Mckenzie free to join us.

cakeordeath

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed 17 Apr 2013, 1:04 pm

Tattie Scones RRN wrote:

+1

+3

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 17 Apr 2013, 1:12 pm

From a Scots perspective I couldn't care less. By definition if he wants to leave, he's not the right man for the job.

Our forwards did not progress under Dean Ryan, that much is completely clear to me. I don't think the selections in the pack were particularly clever either.

I do NOT want Scott Johnson, Duncan Hodge and Scott to simply fall into the permanent positions they currently hold on a temporary basis. I always find it just too convenient that of all the rugby coaches on the planet, the best man for the job just so happens to be the guys you managed to bring in on short notice for a temporary stint.

Scotland can do better in my view, or at least should be seen to try to do better. I can understand the secrecy around the process, but I want to be assured that the SRU left no stone unturned in getting the best possible coaching team for Scotland and Edinburgh. They've certainly had plenty time.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed 17 Apr 2013, 4:58 pm

I would hope that SJ has the job of taking them on the summer tour so that the SRU can poach a decent S15 coach in the off season whilst they are away.

Come home Mallett and Meehan. notworthy
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 17 Apr 2013, 5:33 pm

George Carlin wrote:I would hope that SJ has the job of taking them on the summer tour so that the SRU can poach a decent S15 coach in the off season whilst they are away.

Come home Mallett and Meehan. notworthy

Most definitely. Mallett in charge of Scotland, Meehan in charge of Edinburgh. Done.

idea

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Hood83 Wed 17 Apr 2013, 9:06 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:From a Scots perspective I couldn't care less. By definition if he wants to leave, he's not the right man for the job.

Our forwards did not progress under Dean Ryan, that much is completely clear to me. I don't think the selections in the pack were particularly clever either.

I do NOT want Scott Johnson, Duncan Hodge and Scott to simply fall into the permanent positions they currently hold on a temporary basis. I always find it just too convenient that of all the rugby coaches on the planet, the best man for the job just so happens to be the guys you managed to bring in on short notice for a temporary stint.

Scotland can do better in my view, or at least should be seen to try to do better. I can understand the secrecy around the process, but I want to be assured that the SRU left no stone unturned in getting the best possible coaching team for Scotland and Edinburgh. They've certainly had plenty time.

Pretty much my view of Lancaster for England, i don't think it's widely shared though. I'm glad Scots fans seem to mirror my own thoughts, I really thought Robinson, for all his obvious flaws re selection etc, was a far better forwards coach than Ryan.

Hood83

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed 17 Apr 2013, 9:32 pm

Meehan would suit Edinburgh nicely, definitely make the most of their mobile attacking assets.

What I don't get is why after of years of insisting Hill brings through stars internally and pays peanuts they decide to open the cheque book sign Mieres, Warwick and Creevy then get rid of the coach that has secured the club and bring in am average coach. I can't see the point in signing dynamic options then bringing in an old style up your jumper coach.

Wuss vs LI for relegation next season.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Thu 18 Apr 2013, 11:20 pm

to be fair he wasn't an up your jumper coach, Glos under him played better rugby then now, they were awesome at times. Just couldn't manage that final game.

Wuss honestly don't have the players to be a top 6 team though so he is going to struggle.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Fri 19 Apr 2013, 9:44 am

Just watched the interview with him on Rugby Club and I have to say he comes across very well. Will be interesting to see how he goes with Wuss now and if they can crack the 7/8 position in the league.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Fri 19 Apr 2013, 10:01 am

yappysnap wrote:to be fair he wasn't an up your jumper coach, Glos under him played better rugby then now, they were awesome at times. Just couldn't manage that final game.

Wuss honestly don't have the players to be a top 6 team though so he is going to struggle.

Very true, but there is also no doubt we were operating far in excess of the salary cap too. We are told the cap is policed to a greater extent now, so it'll be interesting to see how he copes with a lower budget, but I do sincerely hope he succeeds.
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Fri 19 Apr 2013, 10:25 am

What was your squad HKC? I can't really remember many players from those days except Carlos Spencer!

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathman_in_London Fri 19 Apr 2013, 11:16 am

To be fair almost everyone was above it. Only Bath, Bristol and Leeds voted to keep it at 2.5m, everyone else wanted a jump to 4m.

It would have been interesting if he would have been as keen to move back into coaching if sky weren't losing their coverage. Its going to be hard for him to doing anything other than keep Wuss around their usual 9-11th spot I think.

Bathman_in_London

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Fri 19 Apr 2013, 11:42 am

yappysnap wrote:What was your squad HKC? I can't really remember many players from those days except Carlos Spencer!
Spencer was only a short term option at FH, along with Lamb, Patterson and Willie Walker. When Ryan left we lost 11 players (Nieto, Balshaw, Collazo, etc) and yet we were still at the cap.
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri 19 Apr 2013, 11:44 am

That was a good Glaws squad. Alex Brown on top form running the lineout, with Hazell and Forrester ripping it up in the back row.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down