The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dean Ryan

+8
TJ1
tigertattie
funnyExiledScot
RubyGuby
Pat_Mustard
dgttaylor
100%beefy
Heuer27
12 posters

Go down

Dean Ryan Empty Dean Ryan

Post by Heuer27 Fri 08 Mar 2013, 10:05 am

Just watched rugby club and the interview with Dean Ryan. I got the impression that he wasn't keen to give up international coaching as was his stated intention at the start of this 6 N.
Personally and hopefully I think he will stay on with Scott Johnston. What do you guys think?

Heuer27

Back to top Go down

Dean Ryan Empty Re: Dean Ryan

Post by 100%beefy Fri 08 Mar 2013, 10:20 am

If they beat Wales and France I think the SRU should do everything they can to keep him

100%beefy

Back to top Go down

Post by dgttaylor Fri 08 Mar 2013, 10:22 am

Are there any better options who are likely to throw their hat in to the ring?!

The playing personell have not changed much and yet Scotland are certainly performing better so I would stick with him for the time being, if he is willing.

dgttaylor

Back to top Go down

Post by Heuer27 Fri 08 Mar 2013, 10:27 am

I agree that we should try and keep him and Johnston as they are working well together.

He was adamant at the start of the tournament that it was a five match only gig for him.

He seems to be enjoying the experience of international rugby especially as the team are winning. I wouldn't be surprised at all if he stays on for at least the summer tour.

Heuer27

Back to top Go down

Post by Pat_Mustard Fri 08 Mar 2013, 10:28 am

The video's up here, http://planetrugby.com/video/0,25862,15715_8546460,00.html

I'm watching it right now! Interesting stuff

Pat_Mustard

Back to top Go down

Post by Heuer27 Fri 08 Mar 2013, 10:31 am

He seems uncomfortable when asked about his intentions and almost evasive in his replies.

Deffo think he is having second thoughts about standing down but he couldn't say that on his employers show.

Heuer27

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Fri 08 Mar 2013, 11:08 am

I would keep Ryan but Teflon man Johnson is one I would not trust. You have the players to do well at the moment and a stronger more experienced coach would bring the best out of them IMO. Don't be too keen to sign him up after a few wins. Just my view thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri 08 Mar 2013, 11:14 am

Jury still out. We should have beaten Italy and did. We were very lucky to beat Ireland, and were outclassed by England.

Let's see what happens in the next two games.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Heuer27 Fri 08 Mar 2013, 11:23 am

We are winning games and that is a start.

We shall see by this time ext year if they are the real deal or not.

We weren't ,nor should have been ,strong favourites against Italy. They have turned us over regularly recently. The team played well under the pressure of expectation from the media against Italy and gutted out a result against an Irish side who were widely expected to win comfortably in Edinburgh.

This Scotland team would not have won those games last year.

That must be due to the coaching staff as the playing one is not significantly different from last year.

Heuer27

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri 08 Mar 2013, 11:37 am

I think that's too simplistic. With the players we have we shouldn't be losing to Italy. Player by player we are better. As pleasing as the win over Italy was, at Murrayfield we should be winning those games.

I do give credit to the side for the win over Ireland, a good result. Still, let's not kid ourselves that we can win those games every week. Had Heaslip had a single brain cell we'd have lost that game.

I do think the new team has had a positive impact, but I've seen it before. Both Hadden and Robinson started off well and were initially positively received. Let's wait until the end of the 6 Nations before passing judgment.

If we get beaten by Wales and lose badly in France, that must surely affect the decision making process.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Fri 08 Mar 2013, 11:41 am

I am not a Dean Ryan fan in this regard. At the start he said he was not interested. He prefered the money or fame of being on the tele. He came across as a mercenary. Looking for a quick buck rather than to be in the post of any honourable reasons.

Now that Scotland are winning he is thinking about staying???

And I will also say this. For years our forwards have kept scotland in games. They have kept and won the ball and given the backs plenty to work with. Our backs would then waste this oppertuniy and the forwards would step up to get the ball back again. With Ryan looking after our forwards we have now got the reverse. The Backs are the ones winning games, the forwards, while managing to tackle, are staying away from rucks, not competing to win the ball and as a team we have had sod all possesion or territory in the last two games.

Dean Ryan is not the magic maker folk are making him out to be
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Fri 08 Mar 2013, 11:53 am

I disagree Tattie, IMO Ryan is one of the most respected coaches around, I think he's been bitten by the international bug here and it excites him to work with this group of players. I would have no problem with him being in the welsh set up. Johnson on the other hand .......... thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Heuer27 Fri 08 Mar 2013, 11:58 am

Scotland were frightened of rucks before Ryan entered the scene which is absurd because historically we were feared there.

Since his arrival both coaches have been critical of the teams lack of dynamism at the breakdown. This is obviously a work in progress.

Heuer27

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri 08 Mar 2013, 12:02 pm

To be fair, we've looked even more frightened of rucks since Ryan took over. Very tentative against England and Ireland in particular, and dominated at the breakdown in every game so far.

Yes, the new coaching team have identified the problem, but it doesn't take Sherlock Holmes does it.

Let's just wait and see what happens in the next two games, and see whether we think the team has genuinely progressed through the tournament under the new coaching team.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Heuer27 Fri 08 Mar 2013, 12:03 pm

If you see the interview Ryan alludes to being disillusioned by the decision makers in the sport and stepped away. Reading between the lines I think his anger was directed at the RFU.
His passion for the game has been reignited by his involvement and he seems keen for that to continue.

Heuer27

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri 08 Mar 2013, 12:05 pm

I think he has enjoyed the stability of having a regular and predictable job with Sky, rather than the rollercoaster experience that was Gloucester.

He's right to say that a club or international job is usually a 4-year gig, and he clearly doesn't want to keep moving his family every 4 years. I can understand that.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ1 Fri 08 Mar 2013, 9:28 pm

too early to tell yet. I do nbot think Scott Johnson is the man for the job but he has a couple more games to prove me wrong. Ryan? maybe the same applies.

As for who else - a young up and coming ambitious coach in the mould of Todd Blackadder ( he would be my perfect choice but I don't think he will take it for family reasons) It is a great opportunity as to improve Scotland standing overthe next 3 years would be relativly straightforward and would look good onteh CV for one of the few top jobs after the next WC

TJ1

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Sat 09 Mar 2013, 5:23 pm

That game proves my point. Dean Ryan is utter garbage for Scotland.

Scotland forwards are giving away too many penalties. They are not trying to compete at the breakdown and they are not clearing out their own.

Andy Robinson could not pick a team, but he had our forwards working properly.

I've never seen a more pathetic show from scottish forwards.
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by Hood83 Sat 09 Mar 2013, 11:28 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:To be fair, we've looked even more frightened of rucks since Ryan took over. Very tentative against England and Ireland in particular, and dominated at the breakdown in every game so far.

Yes, the new coaching team have identified the problem, but it doesn't take Sherlock Holmes does it.

Let's just wait and see what happens in the next two games, and see whether we think the team has genuinely progressed through the tournament under the new coaching team.

This is my take on it, I actually thought under Robinson you were often the best rucking team in the 6N, and particularly counter-rucking. Plenty of games where a massive English pack was slowed down by your team committing in numbers and making a nuisance. Now? Few people hitting rucks, forwards isolated, people hitting with poor positioning, forwards running past where the tackle is made then having to double back to hit the ruck. Basically, a mess. Might just be early days, but there is no way this team is rucking better than under Robinson IMO. If only he'd been a competent selector!

Hood83

Back to top Go down

Post by Hood83 Sat 09 Mar 2013, 11:29 pm

tigertattie wrote:That game proves my point. Dean Ryan is utter garbage for Scotland.

Scotland forwards are giving away too many penalties. They are not trying to compete at the breakdown and they are not clearing out their own.

Andy Robinson could not pick a team, but he had our forwards working properly.

I've never seen a more pathetic show from scottish forwards.

+1

Hood83

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Sun 10 Mar 2013, 9:50 am

Ha, how quickly people change their views on Robinson and the Scottish pack after one poor game!!

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sun 10 Mar 2013, 11:27 am

Are you saying that we're fickle, Yappy? boxing

George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Sun 10 Mar 2013, 11:46 am

I was a big fan of Robinson so I'm allowed to say whatever I want Very Happy

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by Hood83 Sun 10 Mar 2013, 12:15 pm

yappysnap wrote:Ha, how quickly people change their views on Robinson and the Scottish pack after one poor game!!

I should say, that for England as Head Coach I thought he was awful and was not exactly quick to talk up coaching. I think he is someone you can appreciate more once he's coaching someone else!

That said, I still think he's an excellent forwards coach but poor Head Coach. If he could act as Head Coach with responsibility for forwards, joint responsibility for selections (or none) and no responsibility for backs he'd be perfect...?!

Hood83

Back to top Go down

Post by Hood83 Sun 10 Mar 2013, 12:16 pm

Hood83 wrote:
yappysnap wrote:Ha, how quickly people change their views on Robinson and the Scottish pack after one poor game!!

I should say, that for England as Head Coach I thought he was awful and was not exactly quick to talk up coaching. I think he is someone you can appreciate more once he's coaching someone else!

That said, I still think he's an excellent forwards coach but poor Head Coach. If he could act as Head Coach with responsibility for forwards, joint responsibility for selections (or none) and no responsibility for backs he'd be perfect...?!

Sorry, i meant I wasn't quick to talk up his coaching

Hood83

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Sun 10 Mar 2013, 1:55 pm

George Carlin wrote:Are you saying that we're fickle, Yappy? boxing

No more then the rest of us Hug

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sun 10 Mar 2013, 2:04 pm

yappysnap wrote:
George Carlin wrote:Are you saying that we're fickle, Yappy? boxing

No more then the rest of us Hug
I was going to say that if you were, it's fair enough.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Sun 10 Mar 2013, 5:35 pm

It's not one bad game though. In all games this 6N's we've been inept at the breakdown. Our forwards are either scared of contact or the game plan is not to contest. As our pack were fearce just last year I can only assume the coaches have drilled them not to go in.

We lost the breakdown in every game we have played. England beat us at a canter. Italy dominated possession an territory. We only won that game as a result of 3 against the run of play tries and the fact the Italians were still hungover. Ireland dominated us. We only won coz Ireland were toothless in attack. Wales dominated us and we lost that one.

Scotland are currently going nowhere IMO
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Sun 10 Mar 2013, 6:34 pm

I think the personnel are coming together, particularly the backs where we now have a quality of player far beyond what we've had for over a decade, but I'm not convinced the tactics are correct, and we've sorely missed having Rennie or Barclay fit and playing.

We've shown how dangerous we can be with the ball, but we've had so few attacking opportunities down to the pack being toothless. The tackling has been very good in general, but whilst we're chopping down the opposition, we aren't getting over the ball and competing for it.

I've not been wowed by Ryan and Johnson. They haven't done a bad job, and selection has been ok. Just think we should be looking at alternatives before just handing them the job.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Mon 11 Mar 2013, 12:46 pm

The breakdown is just as much about the players on the day and the ref as it is coaching.

One area of weakness is not the end of the world.

England were orgasmic there against NZ and Scotland, we were then pant wettingly Poopie against Italy.

These things happen. At least you can (could) score some lovely tries!!

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down