The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dean Ryan says 17 losses on the trot is "one step back"

5 posters

Go down

Dean Ryan says 17 losses on the trot is "one step back" Empty Dean Ryan says 17 losses on the trot is "one step back"

Post by Rugby Fan Tue 07 Jan 2014, 5:49 pm

To be fair, he thinks the performance against Irish was "one step back". However, he must be a bit tone deaf if he thinks supporters are just angry because of that one game.

Worcester director of rugby Dean Ryan has been stung by criticism from the struggling Premiership club's fans. Irate Warriors supporters took to various online forums this weekend to register their unhappiness after Saturday's defeat by London Irish. But 47-year-old Ryan believes the result was a one-off low point on the back of several improved performances. "One step back and everybody wants to put us in the stocks and throw mud at us," he told BBC Hereford & Worcester.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/25625631

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Dean Ryan says 17 losses on the trot is "one step back" Empty Re: Dean Ryan says 17 losses on the trot is "one step back"

Post by doctor_grey Wed 08 Jan 2014, 1:04 am

Well, in his defense, what else is he supposed to say? He is in a very bad position, has a bad team, and is in trouble. Maybe the right thing is to say nothing, but he would probably receive criticism for that too. I think it is a shame because Worcester is a good club, had good fans, and a dedicated owner.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Dean Ryan says 17 losses on the trot is "one step back" Empty Re: Dean Ryan says 17 losses on the trot is "one step back"

Post by HongKongCherry Wed 08 Jan 2014, 8:52 am

The fault for this must fall primarily at Duckworth and the board's door. The decision to replace Hill was made too late meaning Ryan had little influence on recruitment, bar a few Argentinians. The loss of Mullan, Kvesic, Cowan, Carlisle and Goode was enormous for them and adequate replacements have not been found. Goode for all his critics knows how to build territory and pressure, which Mieres is not able to do to the same standard, but equally he does not have the benefit of the pack Goode played behind either.

I've felt Wuss were going to be for the drop all season due to their attitude. The other teams predicted to be in the relegation battle, Newcastle and Irish, both seemed to exude the absolute need to stay in the Jeff. It is somewhat intangible, but it just seemed Wuss were very open about rebuilding and if that involved relegation this year, then so be it. Relegation may be a good thing for them, however, with Bristol building a strong side for next year and Welsh already having a decent side it is far from a foregone conclusion they would bounce straight back.
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Wed 08 Jan 2014, 9:05 am

Agree, HKC. Always seemed Worcester was going to be on the brink. Maybe Ryan's fault, maybe not. They really got themselves in a pickle.

I was wondering if they have the money to spend to attract and retain good talent. Worcester is a bit off the track and is not a big city at all. Even with a nice little stadium and good attendance I wonder have the funds to compete. I also think it might be hard to recruit players as young guys frequently want a bit more excitement.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by stub Wed 08 Jan 2014, 10:08 am

HongKongCherry wrote:The fault for this must fall primarily at Duckworth and the board's door.  The decision to replace Hill was made too late meaning Ryan had little influence on recruitment, bar a few Argentinians.  The loss of Mullan, Kvesic, Cowan, Carlisle and Goode was enormous for them and adequate replacements have not been found.  Goode for all his critics knows how to build territory and pressure, which Mieres is not able to do to the same standard, but equally he does not have the benefit of the pack Goode played behind either.

I've felt Wuss were going to be for the drop all season due to their attitude.  The other teams predicted to be in the relegation battle, Newcastle and Irish, both seemed to exude the absolute need to stay in the Jeff. It is somewhat intangible, but it just seemed Wuss were very open about rebuilding and if that involved relegation this year, then so be it.  Relegation may be a good thing for them, however, with Bristol building a strong side for next year and Welsh already having a decent side it is far from a foregone conclusion they would bounce straight back.

Unfortunately I think there may be some truth in that - those other relegation teams just seem to want it more. Also agree that Championship is looking more competitive than ever...

stub

Back to top Go down

Post by stub Wed 08 Jan 2014, 10:19 am

doctor_grey wrote:Agree, HKC.  Always seemed Worcester was going to be on the brink.   Maybe Ryan's fault, maybe not.  They really got themselves in a pickle.  

I was wondering if they have the money to spend to attract and retain good talent.  Worcester is a bit off the track and is not a big city at all.  Even with a nice little stadium and good attendance I wonder have the funds to compete.  I also think it might be hard to recruit players as young guys frequently want a bit more excitement.  

Something was/is certainly wrong as evidenced by the inability to retain and attract talent. Ryan called the team he took over "dysfunctional"... He came across as rattled in the interview I thought. Not sure what the issue is really as I think the ingredients are there to build something good and I believe there is money/good infrastructure/support available. In terms of the city it is not so very different from Gloucester in terms of scale and is easily commutable from the leafier suburbs of Birmingham if Worcester is too sleepy for the young guys which is probably fair comment! I think there is truth that there were too many changes before he took over and there hasn't been time for him to make too much impact just yet. Rebuilding takes a while.

stub

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Wed 08 Jan 2014, 10:31 am

Wuss are awful but is all that down to Ryan?

If they want to rebuild and restructure the club then they have to be prepared to drop for a season or two, it didn't do Saint or Quins any harm but I fully understand why the fans are angry.
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Thu 09 Jan 2014, 10:55 am

Saints and Quins relegation is getting further and further in the rear view mirror.  I remember the last few seasons before Saints were relegated, Saints record was not very good.  The fans and organization had mostly convinced ourselves the team was better than it was.  And on paper it was.  The last season was a dogfight with Worcester for the drop.  Saints lost out by only one bonus point.   The fans were clearly not happy but the very next day the club was very aggressive.  They issued press statements thanking everyone for support and said the team would continue to operate as a Premiership club, and not slide backwards.  Some players were immediately dropped, as was the coaching group (Paul Greyson was retained because it was clear he was not the root cause, but was not ready as head coach).  And they were true to their words.  Fans continued to show up at the Gardens in big numbers throughout the season in National 1 (today's Championship).  And the first season back in the Premiership was quite good.  And Saints moved on from there.    

Unfortunately, Worcester have been through a few promotion-relegation cycles and don't seem to know how to break out of it.  At least as of today.   I wish them the best.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down