The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Joe Schmidt Irelands new coach???

+32
Don Alfonso
kiakahaaotearoa
wolfball
Gibson
Gretgael1
The Great Aukster
Notch
asoreleftshoulder
brennomac
Golden
Mickado
Hookisms and Hyperbole
Thomond
ME-109
geoff998rugby
GoodinTightSpaces
rodders
GunsGerms
Sin é
George Carlin
RubyGuby
Nathan's Hind
red_stag
pete (buachaill on eirne)
SecretFly
wales606
mankiaow
profitius
littlejohn
majesticimperialman
marty2086
Ledge the ledgebag
36 posters

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Joe Schmidt Irelands new coach??? - Page 4 Empty Joe Schmidt Irelands new coach???

Post by Ledge the ledgebag Sat 06 Apr 2013, 5:00 pm

First topic message reminder :

Well Joe has now said he would be interested in what the irfu have to say,IF, leinster release him. He sounds quiet keen. He is now the bookies favourite at 8/15. Interestingly enough, Paddy Power closed all bets on who is to become the next Ireland coach today for a few hours as a large number of people had decided to bet on Joe Schmidt. ?????????

Ledge the ledgebag

Back to top Go down

Joe Schmidt Irelands new coach??? - Page 4 Empty Re: Joe Schmidt Irelands new coach???

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Wed 17 Apr 2013, 1:57 pm

I read that Declan had to have a meeting with them the Friday before the game and then again a few days after it

Back to top Go down

Joe Schmidt Irelands new coach??? - Page 4 Empty Re: Joe Schmidt Irelands new coach???

Post by GunsGerms Wed 17 Apr 2013, 2:10 pm

pete (buachaill on eirne) wrote:I read that Declan had to have a meeting with them the Friday before the game and then again a few days after it

but that is to be expected. It doesnt answer the question as to exactly what goes on at the meetings and whether the panel has any say over selection.

Is the panel just a saftey net in case you have a rogue manager ala Lievremont who wants to play a scrumhalf at outhalf par example?

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Wed 17 Apr 2013, 2:15 pm

For example every public limited company has a board of directors whos duty is to approve high level management decisions and to ensure that the management is acting in the best interest of stakeholders at all times and to mitigate against any conflicts of interest.

Is there any evidence to suggest that the propose of this comittee is not something similar and their purpose is to ensure the manager is acting in the best interests of the team rather than to actually intefere in the selection of the team? If this is the purpose then it is probably just good corporate governance to have such committees.

Last edited by GunsGerms on Wed 17 Apr 2013, 2:17 pm; edited 1 time in total

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Gretgael1 Wed 17 Apr 2013, 2:17 pm

Schmidt said that international scene would suit him better because he has a young family( less hours) but the extra pressure of being a national coach isn't all that appealing. He's clearly interested, I just have this nagging feeling that he'll close the door on it and remain at Leinster. This is the reason I'm trying not to get too excited.

Gretgael1

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed 17 Apr 2013, 2:53 pm

In truth I'd say often times the coach (National or otherwise) feels more pressure from opinionated journalists suggesting who he might pick or where he went wrong in the picking.

Schmidt seems to be suggesting (from what I'm taking from his comments over the weeks) that the edgy relationship he's had with IRFU is strictly as a Provincial coach. I think he'd hinting at the watertight policies of resting-periods that sometimes leave him and other Provincial coaches short-changed in domestic competition. I think he's hinting that the policy is more counterproductive than helpful..even to the Irish team.... and perhaps players themselves have been saying so.

I know D'arcy snarled at the idea put to him a year or so ago that the Irish players get an easy ride in their cottonwool cocoons pre HC. He said he hated the inforced lay-offs, that he actually benefits more as a player from playing, that lay-offs impede his ability to be at the levels he wants to be at come International or HC.

So, I think Schmidt, if he's going to take up the International job, is suggesting he's aware of how the cotton-wool act isn't working for Provinces and is probably hampering International too. I'd say he wants IRFU to loosen the reins there.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Gretgael1 Wed 17 Apr 2013, 3:15 pm

It makes sense that if you play more often and with the same players the better you'll play, as an individual and as a team. Lack of fluency, inconsistency and frustration all come from over protecting players, this has to be addressed.

Gretgael1

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed 17 Apr 2013, 3:23 pm

Gretgael1 wrote:It makes sense that if you play more often and with the same players the better you'll play, as an individual and as a team. Lack of fluency, inconsistency and frustration all come from over protecting players, this has to be addressed.

The benefit though (and I suppose the counter argument) is that the lay-offs force the coaches to give time to players they might not otherwise give so much time to. I know Schmidt isn't that kind of coach and would still rotate even with all players who are fit available to him, but the coaches want that ability to be able to do their own rotating, when they want to/feel it is more prudent to rotate.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Gretgael1 Wed 17 Apr 2013, 3:47 pm

Of course, rotation is vital in the modern game, not just to protect players but, as you've already said, to develop others that may not get much game time. You're right, it should be the coaches decision when to play and when to rest certain players, he should know his own team better than anyone.

One thing I would like to see from our new coach is the bravery to pick players that are best suited to winning certain games. For instance, I think Sean O Brien is a better player than Chris Henry but this doesn't necessarily mean he should start every game if fit, Henry's style plays better against certain teams but we rigidly stick to players we think are better instead of playing who is better suited to play our opposition. Hope that makes sense, it's difficult typing on your phone while keeping an eye out for the boss!

Gretgael1

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Wed 17 Apr 2013, 3:55 pm

GunsGerms wrote:For example every public limited company has a board of directors whos duty is to approve high level management decisions and to ensure that the management is acting in the best interest of stakeholders at all times and to mitigate against any conflicts of interest.

Is there any evidence to suggest that the propose of this comittee is not something similar and their purpose is to ensure the manager is acting in the best interests of the team rather than to actually intefere in the selection of the team? If this is the purpose then it is probably just good corporate governance to have such committees.

Your bang on right there Guns - the coach has to answer to someone other than the fans! I really don't know what the big deal is bearing in mind that Browne & Wigglesworth are professionals and every right to know what is going on. Tom Grace holds the purse strings so he should be there as well. Its just good corporate governance.

By the way, I really can't see Browne trying to pick the team - he has enough to do.
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Wed 17 Apr 2013, 3:59 pm

Gretgael1 wrote:Schmidt said that international scene would suit him better because he has a young family( less hours) but the extra pressure of being a national coach isn't all that appealing. He's clearly interested, I just have this nagging feeling that he'll close the door on it and remain at Leinster. This is the reason I'm trying not to get too excited.

Well his public activity would suggest he doesn't want the job and this maybe a way of getting out of it by intimating "he couldn't deal with the blazers" who won't be happy with his outspokedness this week, his criticism of the officials (Ireland's card will be marked by them) and rubbing the province of Munster up the wrong way.

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed 17 Apr 2013, 4:03 pm

Sin é wrote:
Gretgael1 wrote:Schmidt said that international scene would suit him better because he has a young family( less hours) but the extra pressure of being a national coach isn't all that appealing. He's clearly interested, I just have this nagging feeling that he'll close the door on it and remain at Leinster. This is the reason I'm trying not to get too excited.

Well his public activity would suggest he doesn't want the job and this maybe a way of getting out of it by intimating "he couldn't deal with the blazers" who won't be happy with his outspokedness this week, his criticism of the officials (Ireland's card will be marked by them) and rubbing the province of Munster up the wrong way.

The Munster bias within the IRFU needs to end Sin. I think this will be the crux as to whether he takes the job or not, the National coach can't be held to ransom by the IRFU to pick Munster men.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Gretgael1 Wed 17 Apr 2013, 4:14 pm

Sin, maybe I'm being naive here but if he wasn't interested why wouldn't he just say 'I'm flattered but I'm under contract for another year with Leinster and I intend to see my contact out' instead of going through the whole rigmarole of meetings with the irfu?

Gretgael1

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed 17 Apr 2013, 4:35 pm

Sin é wrote:

He said all that...and upset all those people? You sure? I think he's straight enough to say he doesn't want something if he doesn't want it. I think he had already elaborated on a perfectly good excuse a few months back when his retrun to New Zealand seemed his prefered route for family reasons. Had he wanted to reuse that to evade Ireland then I'm sure he would have done.

You don't want an outspoken coach? I thought tip toeing around provincial sensitivities (all of them) was one of the very things most of us wanted to see end at National level? There's been hotel meetings and clearing-of-air meetings aplenty and we're still in this "Don't say nothing to offend us now or we mightn't play ball" crud.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Wed 17 Apr 2013, 4:38 pm

rodders wrote:
Sin é wrote:

The Munster bias within the IRFU needs to end Sin. I think this will be the crux as to whether he takes the job or not, the National coach can't be held to ransom by the IRFU to pick Munster men.

You seriously think that Tom Grace would go along with any Munster bias? Or Browne? Or Wigglesworth? They are the 3 most influential men in the IRFU at the moment. Not only are all 3 from Leinster, they are all from Dublin. Wigglesworth & Grace are both St. Mary's men. I had the pleasure of sitting just in front of Wigglesworth at a Munster v Leinster game and there is no doubt about who Wigglesworth was supporting. There was no impartiality there whatsoever.

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Wed 17 Apr 2013, 4:40 pm

Sin é wrote:
rodders wrote:
Sin é wrote:

You seriously think that Tom Grace would go along with any Munster bias? Or Browne? Or Wigglesworth? They are the 3 most influential men in the IRFU at the moment. Not only are all 3 from Leinster, they are all from Dublin. Wigglesworth & Grace are both St. Mary's men. I had the pleasure of sitting just in front of Wigglesworth at a Munster v Leinster game and there is no doubt about who Wigglesworth was supporting. There was no impartiality there whatsoever.

Pat Whelan isnt involved with the IRFU anymore is he?

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Wed 17 Apr 2013, 5:20 pm

He is, but he is definately outgunned by Wigglesworth & Grace. I think Browne is sound enough.
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Wed 17 Apr 2013, 5:28 pm

Sin é wrote:He is, but he is definately outgunned by Wigglesworth & Grace. I think Browne is sound enough.

Well I guess there's all the proof you need that the selection committee doesnt interfere with selections given the amount of below par Munster players that have made the team during Kidney's time as coach. In particular the persistance with O'Leary and RO'G.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by brennomac Wed 17 Apr 2013, 5:30 pm

Of the four blazers who coaches have to report to only Wigglesworth is a member of staff with the grandiose title of Director of Rugby - Professional Game. What exactly does this guy do as a full-time paid employee of the IRFU - nobody I've ever spoken to has a clue what he does and in some quarters who rejoices in the moniker Eddie Wigglewho!

For all the young people out there, Grace was a very fine winger for Ireland back in the 1970's, but how that makes him qualified to quiz professional national coaches about selections and strategy I just don't know. The game has changed completely since Grace was a player - and regarding him holding the IRFU purse strings has an eight-strong finance department to hold those strings.

Pat (Pa) Whelan was a hooker for Ireland back in the 1980's and did a stint as Ireland team manager back in pre-professional days. He is still part of the committee of blazers who quizzed Kidney before and after international matches. The fourth member of this IRFU quango is somebody called Martin O'Sullivan. Martin Who?

Nobody is suggesting that coaches should not be accountable but maybe they should be accountable to a committee of former professional players who understand the professional game and who have played under current rules.

Every sport in Ireland and probably everywhere has these blazer gobsh1tes who are full of their importance.

brennomac

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Wed 17 Apr 2013, 5:31 pm

GunsGerms wrote:
Sin é wrote:He is, but he is definately outgunned by Wigglesworth & Grace. I think Browne is sound enough.

Well I guess there's all the proof you need that the selection committee doesnt interfere with selections given the amount of below par Munster players that have made the team during Kidney's time as coach. In particular the persistance with O'Leary and RO'G.

Yea, you'd think Grace would want his fellow St. Mary's man in the hotseat Smile
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed 17 Apr 2013, 5:34 pm

brennomac wrote:Of the four blazers who coaches have to report to only Wigglesworth is a member of staff with the grandiose title of Director of Rugby - Professional Game. What exactly does this guy do as a full-time paid employee of the IRFU - nobody I've ever spoken to has a clue what he does and in some quarters who rejoices in the moniker Eddie Wigglewho!

For all the young people out there, Grace was a very fine winger for Ireland back in the 1970's, but how that makes him qualified to quiz professional national coaches about selections and strategy I just don't know. The game has changed completely since Grace was a player - and regarding him holding the IRFU purse strings has an eight-strong finance department to hold those strings.

Pat (Pa) Whelan was a hooker for Ireland back in the 1980's and did a stint as Ireland team manager back in pre-professional days. He is still part of the committee of blazers who quizzed Kidney before and after international matches. The fourth member of this IRFU quango is somebody called Martin O'Sullivan. Martin Who?

Nobody is suggesting that coaches should not be accountable but maybe they should be accountable to a committee of former professional players who understand the professional game and who have played under current rules.

Every sport in Ireland and probably everywhere has these blazer gobsh1tes who are full of their importance.

clap guinness
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Wed 17 Apr 2013, 5:44 pm

brennomac wrote:Of the four blazers who coaches have to report to only Wigglesworth is a member of staff with the grandiose title of Director of Rugby - Professional Game. What exactly does this guy do as a full-time paid employee of the IRFU - nobody I've ever spoken to has a clue what he does and in some quarters who rejoices in the moniker Eddie Wigglewho!

Again to draw paralells with public limited companies most boards will have a mix of executive and non executive directors. Simirarly I actually think that a good mix of former professionals and directors with absolutly no rugby connections is the best mix because they will bring different skill sets essential to the administration of the union that ex pros have no experience of. They also in theory bring a certain degree if impartiality as they havent been prejudiced by their experiences in the game.

To be really honest I think that some people are going to be critical of the IRFU no matter what just because they wear blazers occasionally and presumably get paid quite well for what they do. The fact that most people dont understand what they do doesnt mean they dont earn their keep.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Wed 17 Apr 2013, 5:47 pm

I think the perfect candidate for a position in the union would be my old friend Philip Matthews who has experience running a big organisation while retaining a keen interest in the game. He is also a very sharp operator.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Wed 17 Apr 2013, 5:54 pm

All we know is that the IRFU carry out a tradition the night before a game that the committee that the National coach reports to meet up for a jar. With the spinning of Brendan Fanning from the Indo, this has now become a meeting where the blazers meet the national coach the night before an international where they pick the team and decide on the gameplan (note the night before the game!) Very Happy

Wigglesworth is the IRFU Executive responsible for administrating the professional game for the IRFU. His background is that he played rugby for both St. Marys and Leinster. His last job was CEO of Leinster Rugby, so he has been involved in the professional game for about 20 years (or since its inception). He should be close enough to retirement if you look at him

Tom Grace is the IRFU Treasurer (and as mentioned a very fine winger in his day). His professional qualifications are excellent in that he formerly worked for Price Waterhouse Cooper as an Examiner/Liquidator. I'd expect the IRFU's accounts to be top notch and there to be no funny business going on. The books will definately balance with him around.

Brennomac - you do need people like Tom Grace to oversee the game - i.e., represent the shareholders (who are the clubs around the country) as in any other company. The sport wouldn't last 10 minutes if left to the devices of the professionals - all you have to do is look at how some of the club owners operate in the UK & France to see that.

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Wed 17 Apr 2013, 6:00 pm

Guns, in fairness to the IRFU - Browne's sporting background is in rowing (Trinity & Ireland). He never played rugby so doesn't have any club, old boy affiliations in rugby.

It should also be noted that the blazers (non-execs like Grace or Pa Whelan) would not be paid for their services.

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Wed 17 Apr 2013, 8:18 pm

Sin é wrote:Guns, in fairness to the IRFU - Browne's sporting background is in rowing (Trinity & Ireland). He never played rugby so doesn't have any club, old boy affiliations in rugby.

It should also be noted that the blazers (non-execs like Grace or Pa Whelan) would not be paid for their services.

Yes that's what I was getting at and I think it is a good thing that guys like Browne are involved. I also have been impressed by him any time I've heard him interviewed or read about him.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Wed 17 Apr 2013, 10:48 pm

Guns - some excellent points! clap
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Thu 18 Apr 2013, 11:24 am

Anyone have any idea when the IRFU are going to announce a coach or does it just depend?

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Thu 18 Apr 2013, 11:32 am

I'd imagine it depend on how the interviews go today.

Just listening to Pat Kenny talking about the interviews - just said that Schmidt was the favourite - also said that "Joe Schmidt said that Paul O'Connell should be cited" and that doen't look good.

Just saying, despite Joe saying that he thought POC was a great bloke etc., Pat Kenny didn't hear the compliments - just the bit about POC should be cited.
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Thu 18 Apr 2013, 11:35 am

Thankfully Pat Kenny doesn't play for Ireland.

If JS does get the job, I'm sure he'll speak to Paul about what was said in an attempt to put out the roaring fires that the eminant rugby sage, PAT KENNY has started...

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Thu 18 Apr 2013, 11:43 am

Mickado wrote:Thankfully Pat Kenny doesn't play for Ireland.

If JS does get the job, I'm sure he'll speak to Paul about what was said in an attempt to put out the roaring fires that the eminant rugby sage, PAT KENNY has started...

Too late now - the genie is out of he bottle - bad PR move by Joe. I'm sure POC won't have a problem working with him though.
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu 18 Apr 2013, 11:56 am

Sin é wrote:

Too late now - the genie is out of he bottle - bad PR move by Joe. I'm sure POC won't have a problem working with him though.

Well, if he had you as his whispering agent voice in his ear Sin.... POC might very well have a problem working with Schmidt, now wouldn't he Wink

As for Pat Kenny and sport........................................:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzXxjWeMS2g

Enjoy.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Hookisms and Hyperbole Thu 18 Apr 2013, 12:03 pm

Schmidt is absolutely right, and most Irish rugby fans know that. POC should have been cited. That doesn't mean he should be banned, it just means he should be called to account for his actions.

Hookisms and Hyperbole

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Thu 18 Apr 2013, 12:03 pm

Sin é wrote:

Schmidt has a duty to his team while he is still manager of Leinster. Kenny's comments are daft. If POC looked at Schmidts situation logically no doubt he would understand that. Kenny by contrast probably has higher estrogen levels and less prone to logical thinking. Just kidding but seriously you cant expect Schmidt to put his Leinster duties on hold just because he is interviewing for the Irish job.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu 18 Apr 2013, 12:26 pm

More than that.... if the blazers put it to Schmidt, (to see how he responds to pressure and criticism)..if they put it to him slyly during the interview in this kind of a way: "And you weren't happy with the Paul O'Connell incident?"

I think I'm getting to know more and more about Schmidt's character by the day, and I think he'd have told them straight out what his point was and that it wouldn't change under duress of perhaps not getting the Ireland job...and that he'd say the same thing again, in public, if asked.

Sometimes the worst thing to do is to challenge a proud man on what he said as if giving him a chance to rephrase. Those guys just usually repeat what the said in the first place... with even stronger emphasis.

The IRFU shouldn't play hard-ball with this man - he'll just leave and go home - he has no need to say "Sorry sirs, won't happen again". And they'd be fools if they expected it.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Thu 18 Apr 2013, 1:23 pm

Leinster could be fairly boned if he does take the job, I know they've given him their blessing but they were looking to hire his replacement next season (I believe plans to find a replacement had already begun) but now that could be out the window. The balls of it is that we still don't know if Schmidt will get the job, so we could be left scrambling. Or they could put in a caretaker manager for a year, but that's not ideal either.

Hope this doesn't drag on for too long...

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Thu 18 Apr 2013, 1:36 pm

Mickado - this is Munster conspiring against Leinster - since Munster can't beat Leinster on the pitch, Pa Whelan is going to make sure that Leinster's next coach is Michael Bradley Very Happy
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Thu 18 Apr 2013, 1:41 pm

Sin é wrote:Mickado - this is Munster conspiring against Leinster - since Munster can't beat Leinster on the pitch, Pa Whelan is going to make sure that Leinster's next coach is Michael Bradley Very Happy

Or worse still Declan Kidney.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Thu 18 Apr 2013, 1:50 pm

Munster haven't won a game against us since 2011, drastic times call for drastic measures, you could be onto something there.

Mick Dawson did mention last week that we had a few "irons in the fire" so that's something anyway.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Thu 18 Apr 2013, 11:26 pm

The best thing for Leinster is to know asap.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri 19 Apr 2013, 11:14 am

If Joe is on the way out then he might be having right now a heavy hand in pinpointing a successor as I do think part of him feels he's letting Leinster down if he leaves before his contract ends.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Fri 19 Apr 2013, 1:18 pm

White has turned down Irelands advances. Thats good. McKenzie and Schmidt would be my preferred choices.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri 19 Apr 2013, 1:25 pm

profitius wrote:White has turned down Irelands advances. Thats good. McKenzie and Schmidt would be my preferred choices.

White asked one question before the interview started: "Look, let's not waste our time. Am I wasting my time?"

The answer was yep and he turned Ireland down.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Sat 20 Apr 2013, 2:48 pm

http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/schmidt-poised-to-be-announced-as-new-ireland-head-coach-29209752.html

Its going to happen lads. Delighted for Ireland. Gutted for Leinster.

I am now hopeful real change will come at the IRFU, as Joe wants to run it his way. He will not have them run over his selections, which has been a joke for years. That's one of the main conditions he is taking the job on. It seemed to be a major sticking-point in negotiations. Not any more. That is a quantum leap in itself.

Sweep aside the amateurs and let the pros take over. They have wasted years of all our rugby lives, our money, our loyalty and our time. Too many false dawns. Enough, I say.

Man Joe, lets get our country some international pride back.

Lets play rugby!

Robbie Deans may be worth a shout for Leinster after the Lions Tour.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Sat 20 Apr 2013, 7:44 pm

Robbie for Leinster would Be a welcome replacement.

Do you have a source gibbo saying Joe won't get grief from irfu lads the other coaches have

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Sun 21 Apr 2013, 9:40 am

pete (buachaill on eirne) wrote:Robbie for Leinster would Be a welcome replacement.

Do you have a source gibbo saying Joe won't get grief from irfu lads the other coaches have

There has been far too much bull about this, stirred up by the agenda filled Irish Indo (Fanning).

Joe might think himself lucky he isn't Robbie Deans who was told by the new CEO of Australian Rugby to get back Quade Cooper into the squad as soon as possible.

Now, can you imagine the uproar of Philip Browne told Joe Schmidt to pick pick a known troublemaker (like Neil Best) in a newspaper interview!

Oh, and if Joe was going for the NZ job, he is elected by the various rugby unions. Every wonder why Robbie Deans is in Australia and Rob Penney is in Munster? Steve Tew, the NZ Union CEO, doesn't get on with them and so they will never get a top job in NZ until he is gone.

Ireland would be a doddle in comparsion to those two.

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Sun 21 Apr 2013, 10:58 am

Well well well. Robbie is an option for Leinster. Gibbo scoops again.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/leinster-look-to-deans-as-schmidt-departure-looms-29210840.html

As to the Bull, SIN E, it is well known and well documented, that Joe Schmidt and the IRFU have had a torrid affair over the last few years. There was no way he was taking this job on their terms alone. That is why negotiations have been so protracted. They want him bad, they know the country wants him in the job badly, so they have no option but to take Schmidt on - on his terms. He takes the job they take more of a back seat when it comes to selection or management style. That's the deal. He would not take the job on any other terms. Fact is, he doesn't have to. He has the rugby World at his feet. He knows the problems and the possibilities of all the provinces. He knows how the IRFU work ... or doesn't work - in most cases. That's a major bargaining chip. Or haven't you learned how he works yet?

He will shake up the amateur IRFU more than they have been in a 100 years. It is badly needed.

I am not getting into a long winded, protracted convo about de aul days in Ballinamuck with you on this one. Them's the facts. Deal with it.

Watch and see the difference come Summer.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Sun 21 Apr 2013, 11:09 am

"While Schmidt is the clear favourite to succeed Declan Kidney, an IRFU tradition is a cause of some concern to the straight-talking Kiwi. The practice of the head coach presenting his plans for the next day's international match to the National Team Review Group (NTRG) is in danger of proving an obstacle to his candidacy.

At his interview, the current Leinster coach will be asked to put forward his plans for the 2015 World Cup and beyond. However, he will also have some queries of his own – particularly in relation to the custom of the coach's plans being second-guessed at committee level.

Schmidt is understood not to be keen on the practice and could seek the abandonment of the process entirely as a condition of his employment.

At the very least, he is likely to seek assurances the tradition will be radically overhauled.

If the IRFU are set on appointing Schmidt, they could be persuaded to broker a compromise on the issue. Interestingly, some members of the NTRG group are believed to be on the interview panel.
"

Yes, it IS the Indo SIN. But, his feelings on the IRFU style of interference are well known. Its a no-brainer.

Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Sun 21 Apr 2013, 11:11 am

Its the first I heard of Schmidt having a 'torid affair' over the last few years. Schmidt got his way on the main areas - i.e., he has been able to bring in players like Brad Thorn and Leinster were allowed to extend Nacewa's contract.

I also read in the linked article that Deans will probably stay with Australia until after the next world cup. One thing is certain, he won't be going anywhere before the Lions Tour which means that Leinster can't hang around for him.

You really need to read up about the politics of NZ & Australian Rugby - its way worse than either France or Ireland (who I reckon are probably the most stable of all the Unions - i.e., don't interfere that much).

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Sun 21 Apr 2013, 11:21 am

GunsGerms wrote:I think the perfect candidate for a position in the union would be my old friend Philip Matthews who has experience running a big organisation while retaining a keen interest in the game. He is also a very sharp operator.

This is exactly what the IRFU need, to bring them up the the level of their new coach. Pros in situ and control, pros who actually know the game and who are successful in business organisation, in their own right. I'd love to see someone as intelligent and as knowledgeable about the World game as BOD on board. Love to see him getting involved in the IRFU in an advisory capacity, when he retires. He must have winced a lot at the shamateurism of the last 4 or 5 years. That in-depth experience should be utilised by the IRFU to better the game in our country.

Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Sun 21 Apr 2013, 11:29 am

The two men I would love to see get involved with the IRFU are David Humphreys and Conor O'Shea.

Let them be the blazers - they have the understanding of how a professional rugby organisation needs to be run.
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next