The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Joe Schmidt Irelands new coach???

+32
Don Alfonso
kiakahaaotearoa
wolfball
Gibson
Gretgael1
The Great Aukster
Notch
asoreleftshoulder
brennomac
Golden
Mickado
Hookisms and Hyperbole
Thomond
ME-109
geoff998rugby
GoodinTightSpaces
rodders
GunsGerms
Sin é
George Carlin
RubyGuby
Nathan's Hind
red_stag
pete (buachaill on eirne)
SecretFly
wales606
mankiaow
profitius
littlejohn
majesticimperialman
marty2086
Ledge the ledgebag
36 posters

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Joe Schmidt Irelands new coach??? Empty Joe Schmidt Irelands new coach???

Post by Ledge the ledgebag Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:00 pm

Well Joe has now said he would be interested in what the irfu have to say,IF, leinster release him. He sounds quiet keen. He is now the bookies favourite at 8/15. Interestingly enough, Paddy Power closed all bets on who is to become the next Ireland coach today for a few hours as a large number of people had decided to bet on Joe Schmidt. ?????????

Ledge the ledgebag

Back to top Go down

Joe Schmidt Irelands new coach??? Empty Re: Joe Schmidt Irelands new coach???

Post by marty2086 Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:15 pm

Im sure the way Leinster played against Wasps helps but Im sure the odds for McCall or Anscombe will narrow later depending on who wins

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:22 pm

I thought he said last night that he had too mutch work on with Leinster.

All though i could be wrong about what he did say. ( miss interprited)in other words.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by littlejohn Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:06 pm

Ledge the ledgebag wrote:Well Joe has now said he would be interested in what the irfu have to say,IF, leinster release him. He sounds quiet keen. He is now the bookies favourite at 8/15. Interestingly enough, Paddy Power closed all bets on who is to become the next Ireland coach today for a few hours as a large number of people had decided to bet on Joe Schmidt. ?????????

Schmidt would be a great coach for Ireland - hope they can work it out!

littlejohn

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:56 am

It looks like Schmidt is interested but waiting for Leinster to give him the go ahead.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by mankiaow Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:21 am

Not so much an inspired choice as one that is staring them in them in the face!

mankiaow

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:04 pm

Daily Mail reporting today that Shaun Edwards is a front runner now Laugh

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:28 pm

Shaun Edwards!

How bizarre. I know he was upset at being left of the Lions tour - but he has a contract until the next WC and it would be a huge blow for Wales to lose him
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:40 pm

wales606 wrote:Shaun Edwards!

How bizarre. I know he was upset at being left of the Lions tour - but he has a contract until the next WC and it would be a huge blow for Wales to lose him

His star seems to have fallen but there always seems to be something going on with him so not sure if thats what we need

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:54 pm

marty2086 wrote:

His star seems to have fallen but there always seems to be something going on with him so not sure if thats what we need

He was questioned during the 6Ns and was not happy that Gatland decided to take Farrell - but he really showed his worth after the Ireland game and I would view him as the best defensive coach in the world at the moment. Head coach? Im not so sure.

Ireland have better options as a head coach, Wales don't have any better defensive coach options.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:12 pm

wales606 wrote:
marty2086 wrote:

He was questioned during the 6Ns and was not happy that Gatland decided to take Farrell - but he really showed his worth after the Ireland game and I would view him as the best defensive coach in the world at the moment. Head coach? Im not so sure.

Ireland have better options as a head coach, Wales don't have any better defensive coach options.

No idea why Farrell was chosen over anyone, neither Saracens or England have played great rugby with him coaching

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:45 pm

Schmidt with Edwards as defence coach??!!! Whistle

Only kidding.............................. I think.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:26 am

Schmidt has never flatly refused the Irish job when questioned by a member of the mdeia

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:44 am

I think it would be a good career move for Schmidt.

Leinsters star is waning. Sexton has left. Nacewa has retired. There is a maximum of 1-2 years left in the likes of Cullen, Ross, D'Arcy, O'Driscoll, Boss, Reddan etc.

They can and probably will come good again the same way Munster have a new group now. But it will take time and won't happen overnight.

Ireland are at their lowest ebb but things aren't that bad at all. The injury crisis isn't an excuse for losing but it is a factor in the defeats. Schmidt has to be confident that he can turn that group into a winning team.

If the 6 Nations was taking place this Summer with a good coach and our new faces coming back I'd fancy us to do well.

Healy, Best, Ross
Ryan, O'Connell
O'Mahony, O'Brien, Henry
Murray, Madigan
Marshall, Cave
Zebo, Kearney, Bowe

Subs: Strauss, Kilcoyne, Archer, O'Callaghan, Heaslip, Marshall, Jackson, Earls
Reserve: Sherry, Court, Hagan, Henderson, O'Donnell, Boss, Sexton, McFadden

Easy stuff!
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:01 pm

Stag it all comes down to what challenge Schmidt wants, he can stay at Leinster and bring in the new players and phase out the older players or will he back himself to take Ireland to the top of world rugby?

Kidney took the job as the undoubted choice, the most successful Irish coach with his record at Munster now hes almost toxic and may have to go abroad to rebuild his reputation would Schmidt want to risk that?

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:19 pm

marty2086 wrote:Stag it all comes down to what challenge Schmidt wants, he can stay at Leinster and bring in the new players and phase out the older players or will he back himself to take Ireland to the top of world rugby?

Kidney took the job as the undoubted choice, the most successful Irish coach with his record at Munster now hes almost toxic and may have to go abroad to rebuild his reputation would Schmidt want to risk that?

Schmidt, if he were to take the job, would certainly back himself to once and for all have Ireland hit heavy in a WC.... not promise to, not suggest they're going to.

I don't think his plan would be world domination unless the 3rd, 4th or 5th ranking he'd want us to rise to looked easier than he at first thought! Then he might have higher aspirations!
But getting Ireland to click again at International level on a consistent basis, getting them to rise in the rankings again and trying to actually have Ireland make a real impact on the next WC might be enough of an ambition for his tenure. Then off home to coach a New Zealand club and wait for an All Black call.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathan's Hind Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:44 pm

red_stag wrote:Leinsters star is waning. Sexton has left. Nacewa has retired. There is a maximum of 1-2 years left in the likes of Cullen, Ross, D'Arcy, O'Driscoll, Boss, Reddan etc.

They can and probably will come good again the same way Munster have a new group now. But it will take time and won't happen overnight.

Spoken like a true son of Munster. Leinster don't qualify for the quarter finals of the HC and all of a sudden their star is waning. Laughable.

Nathan's Hind

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:30 pm

Nathan's Hind wrote:
red_stag wrote:Leinsters star is waning. Sexton has left. Nacewa has retired. There is a maximum of 1-2 years left in the likes of Cullen, Ross, D'Arcy, O'Driscoll, Boss, Reddan etc.

Spoken like a true son of Munster. Leinster don't qualify for the quarter finals of the HC and all of a sudden their star is waning. Laughable.

I would have to agree with the sentiment that Leinster's star is waning, Munster's on the other hand has waned thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:57 pm

Then some organisational idiot made a big mistake putting the two of them into the final stages of two European Contests!!

Citing Commission!!!! This kind of sloppiness shouldn't be allowed.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:00 pm

C'mon Fly, in a cup competition it's on the day - I take it you missed the Munster/Glasgow game a couple of weeks ago - A big win over the mighty Wasps; now that is something to celebrate thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:32 pm

RubyGuby wrote:C'mon Fly, in a cup competition it's on the day - I take it you missed the Munster/Glasgow game a couple of weeks ago - A big win over the mighty Wasps; now that is something to celebrate thumbsup

Oh I saw Glasgow, Ruby...I saw Glasgow. I didn't see them where Munster and Leinster were though Wink

A Cup Competition is on the day - correct. And you need a pretty consistent run of them to get to European semi-finals - kinda like condensed Pro12. But of course, you're also right in that those particular 'cup competitions' mean nothing now as Glasgow runs rampant in Pro12?? Laugh .

So yep, Munster in a big form dip - certainly - so true. A Big one. And Leinster having a forgettable year (by their standards).

But, the Munster I saw at the weekend wasn't the one that lost to Glasgow - now was it? And the 'waning' Leinster put the highest score on Wasps this season at their home...and the highest margin of 20 points. Neither Saracens, Harlequins nor Northampton (the only other sides that beat them at home) could manage either of those results, and them in their fine AP prime'n'all...

Munster and Leinster , way below their past best according to all of us, still representing the Pro12 in Europe, as the giant killers of Pro12 concentrate on more important things Wink

'Waning' should be taught on the training field, it seems to produce results. And still Pro12 to go Smile

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:35 am

red_stag wrote:I think it would be a good career move for Schmidt.

Leinsters star is waning. Sexton has left. Nacewa has retired. There is a maximum of 1-2 years left in the likes of Cullen, Ross, D'Arcy, O'Driscoll, Boss, Reddan etc.

Ireland are at their lowest ebb but things aren't that bad at all. The injury crisis isn't an excuse for losing but it is a factor in the defeats. Schmidt has to be confident that he can turn that group into a winning team.

If the 6 Nations was taking place this Summer with a good coach and our new faces coming back I'd fancy us to do well.

Healy, Best, Ross
Ryan, O'Connell
O'Mahony, O'Brien, Henry
Murray, Madigan
Marshall, Cave
Zebo, Kearney, Bowe

Subs: Strauss, Kilcoyne, Archer, O'Callaghan, Heaslip, Marshall, Jackson, Earls
Reserve: Sherry, Court, Hagan, Henderson, O'Donnell, Boss, Sexton, McFadden

Easy stuff!

I think this makes a lot of sense Stag. I don't think Leinster will a trough like Munster have had but they will have a small one and I think Joe could really help Ireland he is the kind of coach we need.

I can only see him coaching us til after the RWC though after that he won't want to know I'd imagine

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:59 am

Schmidt has won 3 Heineken Cups - WTF does he still have to achieve at Leinster? As Staggy points out, there has to be a period of rebuilding at the club now and it's a good time for him to go.

He would be a great national coach, he knows the players and everything he has touched has turned to gold. There's an important point here. Ireland cannot rely on POC, BOD, Darcy and Co any more. The new generation has to come on and you need a coach that knows where to start looking and what combinations are likely to produce fruit.

If you don't want him, Scotland will have him in a moment, I would think.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:02 am

George - Schmidt has won 2 Hcups with Leinster. Cheika won the other one. He still has to win the Pro 12 (losing 2 finals).

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:19 am

Sin é wrote:George - Schmidt has won 2 Hcups with Leinster. Cheika won the other one. He still has to win the Pro 12 (losing 2 finals).

You have to make it to the final to win it and sometimes more than once before you actually win it. Munster will know that more than anyone.

Schmidt has nothing left to prove. He is clearly the right man for the job as he is settled here, he is very familiar with the rugby landscape and infrastructure here and is already a proven success here.

he is also affiliated with Mullingar which is no surprise as the place oozes success.

Speaking of Cheika I wouldnt mind him either. He is a great man for shaking things up and getting the lead out.

Last edited by GunsGerms on Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:42 am; edited 1 time in total

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:24 am

George Carlin wrote:Schmidt has won 3 Heineken Cups - WTF does he still have to achieve at Leinster? As Staggy points out, there has to be a period of rebuilding at the club now and it's a good time for him to go.

He would be a great national coach, he knows the players and everything he has touched has turned to gold. There's an important point here. Ireland cannot rely on POC, BOD, Darcy and Co any more. The new generation has to come on and you need a coach that knows where to start looking and what combinations are likely to produce fruit.

Oh we want him, we want him. But will we get him? Say hello to IRFU...we'll see if they're listening to the net chitchat and considering what fans want.

Some funny names beginning to crop up now with Shaun Edwards allegedly in the mix now too. And of course Kiss will feel cheated if his summer tour isn't even considered an audition. He's probably been assured that it is to keep him honest.

But I think it'll be an insult to Joe if he is approached seriously by IRFU, if he says he's prepared to take over to them and if eventually one of the outside names stroll in to Lord it. Schmidt deserves a shot at it if he wants it.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:26 am

If Schmidt becomes coach I will put down a lot of money on O'Driscoll playing for another year

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:27 am

GunsGerms wrote:
Sin é wrote:George - Schmidt has won 2 Hcups with Leinster. Cheika won the other one. He still has to win the Pro 12 (losing 2 finals).

You have to make it to the final to win it and sometimes more than once before you actually win it. Munster will know that more than anyone.

Schmidt has nothing left to prove. He is clearly the right man for the job as he is settled here, he is very familiar with the rugby landscape and infrastructure here and is already a proven success here.

Speaking of Cheika I wouldnt mind him either. He is a great man for shaking things up and getting the lead out.

He is settled here? I thought he would only sign a 1 year contract extension with Leinster as he wanted to go back home to NZ.
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:32 am

SecretFly wrote:
George Carlin wrote:Schmidt has won 3 Heineken Cups - WTF does he still have to achieve at Leinster? As Staggy points out, there has to be a period of rebuilding at the club now and it's a good time for him to go.

Oh we want him, we want him. But will we get him? Say hello to IRFU...we'll see if they're listening to the net chitchat and considering what fans want.

Some funny names beginning to crop up now with Shaun Edwards allegedly in the mix now too. And of course Kiss will feel cheated if his summer tour isn't even considered an audition. He's probably been assured that it is to keep him honest.

But I think it'll be an insult to Joe if he is approached seriously by IRFU, if he says he's prepared to take over to them and if eventually one of the outside names stroll in to Lord it. Schmidt deserves a shot at it if he wants it.

Schmidt needs to apply for the job like everyone else, not be afraid to compete for it. He had no problem being interviewed by the NZRU for the AB job (along with Cotter) so I doubt if he will be looking for special consideration.

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:35 am

Sin é wrote:
GunsGerms wrote:

He is settled here? I thought he would only sign a 1 year contract extension with Leinster as he wanted to go back home to NZ.

Settled as in being able to go to sleep with the lights off and not being overly concerned and jumpy about what the Natives might do Wink Settled.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:37 am

pete (buachaill on eirne) wrote:If Schmidt becomes coach I will put down a lot of money on O'Driscoll playing for another year

You can put your house on it. thumbsup
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:38 am

rodders wrote:
pete (buachaill on eirne) wrote:If Schmidt becomes coach I will put down a lot of money on O'Driscoll playing for another year

Can and will. idea Laugh

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:43 am

pete (buachaill on eirne) wrote:
rodders wrote:

Can and will. idea Laugh

Id say he would play for as long as his possible can if schmidt is there alright.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:58 am

Sin é wrote:

Schmidt needs to apply for the job like everyone else, not be afraid to compete for it. He had no problem being interviewed by the NZRU for the AB job (along with Cotter) so I doubt if he will be looking for special consideration.

Special Consideration??? You read so much into things that don't get said, Sin

Now back to the IRFU obligatory Interview:

"Joe, gotta ask this one - I'm sorry if it offends but we need to be clear we're getting the right guy. We have no room for time turning a silk purse into a sow's ear this time. We need you to win the World Cup. Blunt as that.

Now, Kiss is telling us the mistakes won't happen again - fact.
O'Shea is telling us he'll never admit he's begging for a job in public and that's why he's saying he doesn't want it.
McKenzie is saying we'll make beautiful love together but only when he's certain his first love is serious about ending it.
And White says he's guaranteeing us the next WC already, so.....................
The question is: What do you like to do in your spare time? Like hobbies and things?"

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:00 pm

Only 2 Heineys? That clockwatching, lazy @rse fecknut. What's he been DOING all this time?
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:04 pm

Sin é wrote:
GunsGerms wrote:

He is based here already as opposed to Mckensie who has never lived in Ireland and therefore there is no guarantees he would be happy here. Indeed this is Schmidts second spell living in Ireland. He clearly lives the place somewhat.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:07 pm

I wonder is there anyone who wouldn't get a look in if Schmidt became coach? Are there any players that he just wouldn't be a fan of?

I could see Trimble getting a lot more game time under Schmidt anyways and probably Henry too

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:07 pm

George Carlin wrote:

Only 2 Heineys? That clockwatching, lazy @rse fecknut. What's he been DOING all this time?

Getting knocked out of the Heineken Cup in the pool stages by Munster coached by Kidney & McGahan. Smile (Schmidt was Clermont backs coach).

Head to heads between Clermont v Munster.

Played 4
wins 2 each.
Tries scored: Clermont 5: Munster 10 Very Happy
Points scored: Clermont 77; Munster 97. Very Happy

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:08 pm

Sin é wrote:
George Carlin wrote:

Getting knocked out of the Heineken Cup in the pool stages by Munster coached by Kidney & McGahan. Smile (Schmidt was Clermont backs coach).

Head to heads between Clermont v Munster.

Played 4
wins 2 each.
Tries scored: Clermont 5: Munster 10 Very Happy
Points scored: Clermont 77; Munster 97. Very Happy

Who cares?

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:10 pm

George wanted to know, so I suppose he cares Smile
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:19 pm

Sin é wrote:George wanted to know, so I suppose he cares Smile

Cant speak for GC but I doubt he was interested in Munster's record v Clermont. Not every thread is about Munster believe it or not.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:20 pm

pete (buachaill on eirne) wrote:I wonder is there anyone who wouldn't get a look in if Schmidt became coach? Are there any players that he just wouldn't be a fan of?

I could see Trimble getting a lot more game time under Schmidt anyways and probably Henry too

You think he will move SOB to 6 or 8 then or bench him for Henry? And do you think Trimble will get more time if Zebo & Bowe are fit?

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:20 pm

pete (buachaill on eirne) wrote:I wonder is there anyone who wouldn't get a look in if Schmidt became coach? Are there any players that he just wouldn't be a fan of?

Going down thumbsdown

ROG, Murray, POM, Earls and O'Callaghan.

Going up thumbsup :

Dan Touhy, Paul Marshall, Ian Madigan, Darren Cave, Shane Jennings
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by GoodinTightSpaces Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:21 pm

always have to bring it back to munster v leinster. you ruin all treads

GoodinTightSpaces

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:21 pm

Right this week is one that I look forward to all year and not for rugby reasons. Its all about golf for me so Im switching to the golf board.

MASTERS TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:22 pm

GunsGerms wrote: Indeed this is Schmidts second spell living in Ireland.

When was his first?

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:23 pm

GunsGerms wrote:
Sin é wrote:George wanted to know, so I suppose he cares Smile

Cant speak for GC but I doubt he was interested in Munster's record v Clermont. Not every thread is about Munster believe it or not.

You wanted to know who cares and I answered.

Prior to Schmidt moving to Leinster, his team didn't qualify for the knock-out stages of the Heineken Cup because Munster knocked them out twice at the pool stages and Leinster knocked them out the following year.

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:25 pm

SecretFly wrote:

When was his first?

When he coached Mullingar RFC and was a teacher in Multyfarnham school (aka Wilson's Hospital). Its where it all began.

Last edited by GunsGerms on Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:29 pm; edited 1 time in total

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:25 pm

SecretFly wrote:

When was his first?

About 20 years ago - he coached Mullingar RFC for a season or two when he was backpacking around Europe. Think he coached Multyfarnam College as well.
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:27 pm

rodders wrote:

Going down thumbsdown

ROG, Murray, POM, Earls and O'Callaghan.

Going up thumbsup :

Dan Touhy, Paul Marshall, Ian Madigan, Darren Cave, Shane Jennings

I think he would like Murray and POM as I think both could be made in to seriously skillful players with a different coaching outlook and Murray could thrive in an attack game plan. I would add Luke Marshall to the list on the going up too. Dan Tuohy is a great shout, not sure on Marshall though, Schmidt would hate his pass. Marmion and Henshaw would be two big calls also.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next