The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

And Irelands new defence coach is..

+30
Pete330v2
whocares
Engine#4
Rugby Fan
Sin é
yappysnap
kunu
majesticimperialman
gregortree
TJ
thebandwagonsociety
Rory_Gallagher
The Great Aukster
eirebilly
LondonTiger
IanBru
funnyExiledScot
GunsGerms
rodders
Golden
RuggerRadge2611
brennomac
TightHEAD
Geordie
marty2086
BamBam
Notch
LordDowlais
munkian
profitius
34 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

And Irelands new defence coach is.. Empty And Irelands new defence coach is..

Post by profitius Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:30 pm

Andy Farrell! Very Happy

http://www.irishrugby.ie/news/36562.php#.Vo0yvvmLSM9
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

And Irelands new defence coach is.. Empty Re: And Irelands new defence coach is..

Post by munkian Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:33 pm

O'Farrell
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

And Irelands new defence coach is.. Empty Re: And Irelands new defence coach is..

Post by Guest Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:44 pm

Be interesting, him telling Ireland how to stop his son.

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:49 pm

Risca Rev wrote:Be interesting, him telling Ireland how to stop his son.

I doubt his son will be first choice for England now that he is not there to pick him.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:52 pm

Didn't see that one coming. Juries out, but when you get to this level there's not all that many candidates for the job with the same experience he has.

But one important thing that needs to be emphasised; this appointment comes into effect after the Six Nations. Which is a concern because we have no incumbent defence coach for the tournament. You have other coaches taking care of it, which spreads them thinner. Could be an issue.

In terms of the inside knowledge, it works both ways- he'll know the English players really well but they'll know his systems really well. Not that he'll coach us against England until the 2017 Six Nations.

Last edited by Notch on Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:53 pm

LordDowlais wrote:

I doubt his son will be first choice for England now that he is not there to pick him.

In actual fact, on form he should be the first choice for England. And I speak as a huge George Ford fan!

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:53 pm

LordDowlais wrote:

Yeah those high kicking percentages are useless at Test level Rolling Eyes

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:09 pm

BamBam wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:

In actual fact, on form he should be the first choice for England. And I speak as a huge George Ford fan!

+1

Well I guess we'll see now how good or bad Mr Farrell actually is.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:09 pm

marty2086 wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:

Yeah those high kicking percentages are useless at Test level Rolling Eyes

George Ford is better than Farrell.

Anyway, England did not set the world alight in the backs defence when he was there, so Ireland might have been better off looking elsewhere

Last edited by LordDowlais on Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:11 pm; edited 1 time in total

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by TightHEAD Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:11 pm

You can't have a flyhalf playing when the opposition defence coach know everything about him, and I mean everything.
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:12 pm

He's joining after the 6n isn't he?

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by brennomac Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:14 pm

Why do we have to bring in Farrell when we have Kurt McQuilkin - architect of the meanest defence in the Pro12 - just down the road at Leinster

brennomac

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:21 pm

brennomac wrote:Why do we have to bring in Farrell when we have Kurt McQuilkin - architect of the meanest defence in the Pro12 - just down the road at Leinster

A very good point.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:32 pm

LordDowlais wrote:

Owen Farrell is the new Ireland 10. They come as a pair Wink
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:33 pm

The way this thread was building I was expecting it to be Ronan O'Gara Run
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by Golden Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:39 pm

Any big units in League who happen to be IQ and could be parachuted ahead of Henshaw?

Golden

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:44 pm

Maybe Ben Teo should have stuck around!

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:48 pm

Don't rate Farrell at all. In fact he probably cost Lancaster his job. Shocking choice by the IRFU, he must have come on the cheap as damaged goods.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:49 pm

I don't think he needs to tell them how to do that.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:49 pm

rodders wrote:Don't rate Farrell at all. In fact he probably cost Lancaster his job. Shocking choice by the IRFU, he must have come on the cheap as damaged goods.  

Wasn't Burgess one of Farrell's failures as well ?

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:51 pm

brennomac wrote:Why do we have to bring in Farrell when we have Kurt McQuilkin - architect of the meanest defence in the Pro12 - just down the road at Leinster

Hes only on a short term contract at Leinster too

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:52 pm

For England didn't Farrell have more of a role than just defense coach? Wasn't he effectively coaching the backs? England backs for quite some time played as if they were playing league anyway.

For Ireland Schmidt runs the show and is a hands on coach whereas Lancaster wasn't as much as far as I can see. If Farrell sticks to being a defence coach it will probably be an ok appointment.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:54 pm

GunsGerms wrote:For England didn't Farrell have more of a role than just defense coach? Wasn't he effectively coaching the backs? England backs for quite some time played as if they were playing league anyway.

That is what I thought, he was more than just defence coach, he was almost a senior backs coach who oversaw everything.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:54 pm

Pretty surprised by this. Bold call. He's a strong character with a patchy record as to what works well at international level. He's got experience, but I must say that this is a questionnable call from the IRFU and, I presume, Joe Schmidt.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:55 pm

LordDowlais wrote:
rodders wrote:Don't rate Farrell at all. In fact he probably cost Lancaster his job. Shocking choice by the IRFU, he must have come on the cheap as damaged goods.  

Without doubt.

Agree above that Owen Farrell is the man in form but for long periods he was picked ahead of Ford when the latter was the better option. Barrett too got a bit of a leg up at times.

He didn't get on with Catt and was a real negative influence in the England camp imo.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:56 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:Pretty surprised by this. Bold call. He's a strong character with a patchy record as to what works well at international level. He's got experience, but I must say that this is a questionnable call from the IRFU and, I presume, Joe Schmidt.

I'm guessing his role will be very specific and I have no issue with that except when he inevitably goes back to England and gives away all our secrets.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:58 pm

Sometimes And Irelands new defence coach is.. 1347041234 just doesn't quite cover it.

I'm going big:
And Irelands new defence coach is.. Post-65609-george-costanza-popcorn-mother-LS6Y
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:03 pm

GunsGerms wrote:For England didn't Farrell have more of a role than just defense coach? Wasn't he effectively coaching the backs? England backs for quite some time played as if they were playing league anyway.

For Ireland Schmidt runs the show and is a hands on coach whereas Lancaster wasn't as much as far as I can see. If Farrell sticks to being a defence coach it will probably be an ok appointment.

Although officially the Backs coach, Farrell was defacto Head Coach, with SL effectively in a DoR type role. Farrell's primary responsibilities were defence (including breakdown) and first phase attack. Rowntree as forwards coach, and Catt as Skills coach had to work around whatever Farrell needed.

As a defence coach, Farrell was appointed to the Lions ahead of Sean Edwards. Sure political reasons were touted, but you can be sure that Gats would not have risked his reputation and taken someone he did not rate.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:04 pm

rodders wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:

Without doubt.

Agree above that Owen Farrell is the man in form but for long periods he was picked ahead of Ford when the latter was the better option. Barrett too got a bit of a leg up at times.

He didn't get on with Catt and was a real negative influence in the England camp imo.

Farrell will not have the same influence in the Ireland camp though. Joe calls the shots.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:21 pm

He's not going to have the same level of input into selection as he did in England and no input into attack so I'm optimistic about his appointment.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:27 pm

Never ever expected this, absolutely gobsmacked by the decision. Awful decision and I don't care when he is supposed to begin, he should not be in the Ireland fold after what happened with England.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great Aukster Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:35 pm

Farrell was the obvious choice - it's tradition. Mike Ford used to be the defence coach and his lad is also an England 10.

Seriously though, Farrell has just been through the worst experience of his life. Time for him to learn from that and not make the same mistakes again. At heart he's a winner and this is a new start where he will be busting a gut to be successful, so he deserves the benefit until he proves otherwise.

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:48 pm

This does seem to be a rather strange appointment, but I would rather wait and see before letting emotions get the better of me and throw the toys out of the pram. We don't really know exactly what happened within the England setup for a start, and it would be naive to believe the IRFU or indeed Joe Schmidt would be happy with the appointment if they firstly didn't rate him highly or if they actually thought the the wild stories about his apparent dictatorship within the England setup were true.

I'm fairly sure they were proven to be at the very least greatly exaggerated, if not a total fabrication (the Vunipola interview).

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by thebandwagonsociety Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:51 pm

The Great Aukster wrote:Farrell was the obvious choice - it's tradition. Mike Ford used to be the defence coach and his lad is also an England 10.

Seriously though, Farrell has just been through the worst experience of his life. Time for him to learn from that and not make the same mistakes again. At heart he's a winner and this is a new start where he will be busting a gut to be successful, so he deserves the benefit until he proves otherwise.

Totally agree. It isn't as if he has just been made head coach. Positive comments from Irish players from the last Lions tour. Joe will still be as involved as ever I hope and if Farrell is playing smart he should be thinking about keeping the head down, ears open, listen and learn from a very talented coaching set up for through the next world cup with a view to taking on a head coach job with a bolstered CV after 2019.

Also moves a bit away from the perceived Leinster biased in the management ticket (for all of about 2 minutes)

thebandwagonsociety

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:58 pm

I have to say I find this bemusing.

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:03 pm

Well, even if those stories are true- he's coming into a junior role in a settled coaching team. His brief is smaller than his role as England Assistant Coach were he had input into how that side attacked and inout into team selection. Thats not going to be the case with us, given we have a strong head coach with his own vision. He has responsibility for defence, which by all accounts he's quite good at. Am happy with this appointment if that is all he has responsibility for.

My concern is Schmidt leaves and he gets promoted, then we're fecked. Defence coach is no problem to me.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by gregortree Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:05 pm

LOL ! laughing

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:25 pm

I hoenestly thought that when England parted from him. He would never coach at international level again. Shocked

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:25 pm

Notch wrote:

My concern is Schmidt leaves and he gets promoted, then we're fecked. Defence coach is no problem to me.

I didn't want to say it but those were my concerns as well. Schmidt has a bad 6N and they look to promote Farrell...

Even as a defence coach, Farrell will have impact on the selections, I honestly see no good in this appointment.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by kunu Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:41 pm

I'm ok with it. If he's focusing purely on defence, he'll be good. If Schmidt is half as uber controlling as some believe, Farrell won't get a look in. Don't forget that Schmidt seems to work well with strong willed fellas - Jono Gibbes and Vern Cotter spring to mind.
kunu
kunu

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:02 pm

Thought this was a wum originally

Laugh

But

When he first started with England our defense was tip top, we won a lot off the back of it.

Sure we had to give up on attacking to get there but it worked. 4 second place finishes show that...

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:17 pm

eirebilly wrote:Even as a defence coach, Farrell will have impact on the selections, I honestly see no good in this appointment.

Doubt it tbh.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:18 pm

yappysnap wrote:When he first started with England our defense was tip top, we won a lot off the back of it.

Sure we had to give up on attacking to get there but it worked. 4 second place finishes show that...

Yeah, I'm happy enough with it given we still have Schmidt in charge of attack after all.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:29 pm

Notch wrote:
yappysnap wrote:When he first started with England our defense was tip top, we won a lot off the back of it.

Yeah, I'm happy enough with it given we still have Schmidt in charge of attack after all.
Thats what worries me. Schmidt still in charge assisted by Farrell.

Hopefully at least he manages to teach the Kearney Bros how to tackle.
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:34 pm

Rory_Gallagher wrote:This does seem to be a rather strange appointment, but I would rather wait and see before letting emotions get the better of me and throw the toys out of the pram. We don't really know exactly what happened within the England setup for a start, and it would be naive to believe the IRFU or indeed Joe Schmidt would be happy with the appointment if they firstly didn't rate him highly or if they actually thought the the wild stories about his apparent dictatorship within the England setup were true.

I'm fairly sure they were proven to be at the very least greatly exaggerated, if not a total fabrication (the Vunipola interview).

This is another downgrade from what we had (Plumtree to Easterby was a downgrade). More than likely no one will touch Ireland with Lucifora and Schmidt in charge.
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:09 pm

TightHEAD wrote:You can't have a flyhalf playing when the opposition defence coach know everything about him, and I mean everything.
We've just had months of people saying a coach and his son should not be involved with the same team. Now you are saying they can't be involved in different teams either. Sounds like rugby coaches should never raise their sons to play their sport if they want to keep working.

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Engine#4 Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:15 pm

eirebilly wrote:
Notch wrote:

I didn't want to say it but those were my concerns as well. Schmidt has a bad 6N and they look to promote Farrell...

Even as a defence coach, Farrell will have impact on the selections, I honestly see no good in this appointment.

Would Easterby not be next in line? He has experience as a head coach. I would also have thought some of the Schmidt critics would welcome someone else (with no Leinster affiliations) giving their tuppence worth when it comes to picking a team.

Engine#4

Back to top Go down

Post by whocares Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:34 pm

Stupid question probably but do home nations all have and had defense coaches (not sure about Scotland)? Am asking this because France does not have a specific defense coach (we have one for the backs and one for the forwards on top of the head coach).
Some clubs do have defense coaches though (UBB have Joe Worsley who has done a great job as well).

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:37 pm

Engine#4 wrote:
eirebilly wrote:
Notch wrote:

Would Easterby not be next in line? He has experience as a head coach. I would also have thought some of the Schmidt critics would welcome someone else (with no Leinster affiliations) giving their tuppence worth when it comes to picking a team.

Why on earth does provincial bias have to be brought in?
You guys always say that Munsterfans have an issue but by god, you guys bring up the provincial thing more than we do...
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Golden Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:45 pm

So hes signed up for 2 seasons post Schmidts current contract? Would the IRFU force him on the  next head coach? If not then surely it means either Schmidt is close to signing an extension? Or they are looking at Farrell for head coach (please god no)?

Englands defence has been good apart from that France game and Farrell will be eager to prove himself after the world cup so could be a very good signing. I also like that there will be some fresh ideas coming into the coaching ticket (just as long as they are not about selection).

From a selfish POV it also means Leinster keep hold of McQuilken for a while longer.

Last edited by Golden on Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:50 pm; edited 1 time in total

Golden

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next