The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Burns v Mitchell

+45
Lance
spencerclarke
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Imperial Ghosty
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Adam D
trenchtownbaboon
Captain Charisma
Happytravelling
Lumbering_Jack
mobilemaster8
jimdig
EdWoodjr
Haito
mikeymax71
TheMackemMawler
Nico the gman
ericdacat
captain carrantuohil
Rodney
Bartley Gorman
hampo17
6oldenbhoy
mckay1402
AlexHuckerby
KingMonkey
superflyweight
tunes666
compelling and rich
TRUSSMAN66
BoxingFan88
Boxtthis
Pound-for-Pound
tobbox
Fists of Fury
ONETWOFOREVER
two_tone
azania
davidemore
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
owen10ozzy
Rowley
88Chris05
Gordy
Seanusarrilius
49 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Poll

Burns v Mitchell - Page 2 Vote_lcap11%Burns v Mitchell - Page 2 Vote_rcap 11% 
[ 6 ]
Burns v Mitchell - Page 2 Vote_lcap15%Burns v Mitchell - Page 2 Vote_rcap 15% 
[ 8 ]
Burns v Mitchell - Page 2 Vote_lcap2%Burns v Mitchell - Page 2 Vote_rcap 2% 
[ 1 ]
Burns v Mitchell - Page 2 Vote_lcap9%Burns v Mitchell - Page 2 Vote_rcap 9% 
[ 5 ]
Burns v Mitchell - Page 2 Vote_lcap63%Burns v Mitchell - Page 2 Vote_rcap 63% 
[ 34 ]

Total Votes : 54

Burns v Mitchell - Page 2 Empty Burns v Mitchell

Post by Seanusarrilius Mon 03 Sep 2012, 3:41 pm

First topic message reminder :

Updating with a poll

Ok, so this is as much a pick em as you are ever likely to see. Burns slightly favoured due to wins over MArtinez, Moses and Katsidis, and rightly so. Also, home town advantage is something Burns will have on his side, although it didn't really do Mitchell any harm against Murray.

All in all it is a great fight. Who will get this one.

Can see it being a very close decision either way. Can get 3/1 Mitchell and evens Burns on points.

Who wins this?

Last edited by Seanusarrilius on Mon 17 Sep 2012, 6:35 pm; edited 1 time in total

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Burns v Mitchell - Page 2 Empty Re: Burns v Mitchell

Post by azania Thu 20 Sep 2012, 3:50 pm

I'm surprised that most people are backing Burns here. I reckon too much emphasis is placed on the Katz fight. Burns got a washed up version and Mitchell was not altogether there.

Can only see a Mitchell win but I seriously hope I am wrong. Can't stand the guy. Cant even understand what he says when he talks.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Bartley Gorman Thu 20 Sep 2012, 4:01 pm

Im going with the safe bet of Burns on points. Think he'll be on top of his game and win quite comfortably. Will be a fun fight though!

Mitchell is defo the more gifted, but he has his demons and thats why he never reached the heights he should have. I remember at one stage he was rated as an equal prospect to the likes of Amir Khan.

Bartley Gorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Thu 20 Sep 2012, 4:04 pm

azania wrote:I'm surprised that most people are backing Burns here. I reckon too much emphasis is placed on the Katz fight. Burns got a washed up version and Mitchell was not altogether there.

Can only see a Mitchell win but I seriously hope I am wrong. Can't stand the guy. Cant even understand what he says when he talks.

I don't see people saying that all over the place, I certainly didn't. Why do you always bring personality into things Az? Who cares what you think of Mitchell, Martinez and every other fighter on earth? You ALWAYS mention people's personality, mostly in a negative sense. You are also cr*p at predicitons so no doubt Burns wins handily.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Thu 20 Sep 2012, 4:13 pm

Must be said the usual "I'm going to give a controversial opinion" Routine that you do Az gives out some strange predictions.

That said, we've gone for the same guy here, so hey ho!

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Thu 20 Sep 2012, 4:19 pm

Go for Mitchell, but this "can't understand what he says" stuff??? who gives a monkeys? I can't understand what Az types most of the time, big deal.

That said. If this fight went to talent I would go 116-112 Mitchell, but as there are always other variables I find myself favouring a Burns 115-113 fight. Will all depend on what type pace Mitchell comes out of the gate.

Burns has huge height and I imagine, reach advantages

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by tunes666 Thu 20 Sep 2012, 4:23 pm

Deleted.

Last edited by tunes666 on Thu 20 Sep 2012, 5:33 pm; edited 1 time in total

tunes666

Back to top Go down

Post by tunes666 Thu 20 Sep 2012, 4:24 pm

Pole is a bit deceiving as comments wise seems pretty 50/50 but on pole burns by land slide.. ?

For me they are pretty equal in terms of skill, with Mitchell just having more power, Burns does have a couple inches hight and reach so might want to fight on the outside more, he is at home...he dealt with katsidis power but he is a very one dimensional figter, where Mitchell has the boxing as well as power.

I think if it goes the distance then burns might take a very close fight due to the home noise, if the crowd create more exchanges and makes it more open then i see Mitchell winning by late stoppage...

Its one of those fights where its hard to call so rather than pick a winner its easier to predict how each fighter could win Smile ..

tunes666

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 20 Sep 2012, 6:48 pm

Seanusarrilius wrote:
azania wrote:I'm surprised that most people are backing Burns here. I reckon too much emphasis is placed on the Katz fight. Burns got a washed up version and Mitchell was not altogether there.

I don't see people saying that all over the place, I certainly didn't. Why do you always bring personality into things Az? Who cares what you think of Mitchell, Martinez and every other fighter on earth? You ALWAYS mention people's personality, mostly in a negative sense. You are also cr*p at predicitons so no doubt Burns wins handily.

Give it a rest sean. You're not shy in your criticism of Chavez and openly state your personal opinion of him.

Look at the poll here. Most have picked Burns. I've said in numerous threads since this fight was mooted that Mitchell would win. Yeah well I may be crap at predictions, but I fail to see why a mod should personalize things eh?

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Thu 20 Sep 2012, 7:18 pm

azania wrote:
Seanusarrilius wrote:

Give it a rest sean. You're not shy in your criticism of Chavez and openly state your personal opinion of him.

Look at the poll here. Most have picked Burns. I've said in numerous threads since this fight was mooted that Mitchell would win. Yeah well I may be crap at predictions, but I fail to see why a mod should personalize things eh?

You may have a point. I stand down

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Thu 20 Sep 2012, 7:24 pm

Went with Burns on PTS Sean, just think he doesn't do anything particularly great but is a decent operator all round, can mix it up on the inside which in periods of this fight I think he might need too. By all means not a gimme but I think Burns might win this by 3-4 rounds.

I know Mitchell and Burns have sparred many rounds, be interesting to know who thinks they've got the upper hand. Burns that bit more consistent and improving at this stage.

Cheers Rodders
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 20 Sep 2012, 7:29 pm

Certainly a hard fight to call........

Just think Mitchell If he turns up has more skill.......

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 20 Sep 2012, 7:39 pm

AlexHuckerby wrote:Must be said the usual "I'm going to give a controversial opinion" Routine that you do Az gives out some strange predictions.

That said, we've gone for the same guy here, so hey ho!

What strange prediction?

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Thu 20 Sep 2012, 8:05 pm

I think Mitchell wins a decision or gets a late KO.

Picked against Burns many times and he always proves me wrong though...

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Fri 21 Sep 2012, 5:02 pm

Anyone catch the weigh in? ....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/boxing/article-2206731/Kevin-Mitchell-Ricky-Burns-weigh-in.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

I have to say I did not expect Burns to look bigger than Mitchell. The Scotsman looks massive around the torso and bigger across the chest..

Both look in tremendous shape but I don't think I have seen Burns come in any better than he looked today...and thats saying something because he is known to be excellent with his preparation.

I had and on my prediction game thought that Mitchell may stop him late...however after seeing the weigh in I have a gut feeling that Burns may pull off the big shock and actually stop Mitchell.

This one is going to be a barnstormer....shame it is on Boxnation. I wont be paying to fund Warren's shoddy fight cards. If the undercard was ever any good I would consider but the guy just puts one marquee name on and then a load of tosh with it...

Be checking out the videos on youtube the following...unless I can find me a stream!!

owen10ozzy

http://aviewfrommyarmchair.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Fri 21 Sep 2012, 5:13 pm

Been sitting on the fence for as long as possible on this one, but there is no more room for procrastination, sadly. There's something about Burns that reminds me of Jim Watt in his later years (and Burns is a converted southpaw, as well, I believe). Not Grade A at anything, perhaps, but a solid B++ at almost everything, a consistency that makes him really hard to beat. To beat Burns, I think you need similar consistency, along with the bit of X factor that Ricky maybe lacks.

Mitchell can be brilliant, but I'm not sure that consistency, grinding out a result round after round, is his game. Mercurial would be a word that I might attach to him, and I'm not sure that mercurial beats Burns. I can see this one being even up to around halfway, at which point, the Scot's more understated, consistently effective work may begin to sicken Mitchell. I'll go for a UD in favour of Burns, something like a 116-113 average on the cards.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Fri 21 Sep 2012, 5:28 pm

Very very good summary Captain..

I think your right in your assessment that Burns does nothing special but everything very well. He does lack power, although I think it is there but because he likes to use his skills he rarely fully sits down on his punches. The fact that he has a granite chin helps his cause.

If anyone could say with 100% certainty that Mitchell will turn up with his A game then I think almost everyone would say he would win. The problem is that not even Mitchell himself can guarantee that at the best of times.

He has very good boxing skills and can bang, but he is far to easily drawn into his opponents way of fighting...see Katsidis and Murray as examples.
His temperament can also be questioned and that is not something you want when you are going in with a guy who is going to frustrate you...even just on the fact you are unlikely to get him out of their.

I was edging towards a Mitchell win by LKO...then started to think like most it would probably end up being a UD for Burns. Now after seeing the weigh in I am going to give my final prediction and go a little out their and say

Stoppage late on (Rnd 10/11) for Ricky Burns.

owen10ozzy

http://aviewfrommyarmchair.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Sat 22 Sep 2012, 10:37 am

having seen the interview with mitchell, all he was talking about was how winning this fight will make more money for him. i do feel he's in boxing for the wrong reasons, he's on the verge of a world title shot and he's talking about money. its no wonder he had problems in the past with training etc because soon as he has money again where does his motivation come from then?

never like boxers saying they are in it for the money, mayweather being the exeception of it seeming to work (even then still think he loves the sport and wants to prove he's the best despite the talk of money all the time)

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by ericdacat Sat 22 Sep 2012, 11:21 am

Billy Mitchell a coward !

He watch his friend get whacked and hid in da shower

ericdacat

Back to top Go down

Post by tunes666 Sat 22 Sep 2012, 11:41 am

compelling and rich wrote:having seen the interview with mitchell, all he was talking about was how winning this fight will make more money for him. i do feel he's in boxing for the wrong reasons, he's on the verge of a world title shot and he's talking about money. its no wonder he had problems in the past with training etc because soon as he has money again where does his motivation come from then?

never like boxers saying they are in it for the money, mayweather being the exeception of it seeming to work (even then still think he loves the sport and wants to prove he's the best despite the talk of money all the time)

Mitchell has kids to look after, that's all he was saying, it was extra motivation for him to win the fight, he has also said it was his dream and his chance now.

Floyd has all the money in the world and calls him self MONEY Mayweather and will only fight a fight that makes him the most money.

tunes666

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Sat 22 Sep 2012, 11:45 am

tunes666 wrote:
compelling and rich wrote:having seen the interview with mitchell, all he was talking about was how winning this fight will make more money for him. i do feel he's in boxing for the wrong reasons, he's on the verge of a world title shot and he's talking about money. its no wonder he had problems in the past with training etc because soon as he has money again where does his motivation come from then?

Mitchell has kids to look after, that's all he was saying, it was extra motivation for him to win the fight, he has also said it was his dream and his chance now.

Floyd has all the money in the world and calls him self MONEY Mayweather and will only fight a fight that makes him the most money.

if he is fighting for his kids i have to question why did he have so many problems in training leading up to the katsidis fight? he has motivation problems, something if he was truely dedicated to the game i doubt he would have had

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by tunes666 Sat 22 Sep 2012, 6:12 pm

compelling and rich wrote:
tunes666 wrote:

if he is fighting for his kids i have to question why did he have so many problems in training leading up to the katsidis fight? he has motivation problems, something if he was truely dedicated to the game i doubt he would have had

I dont think he said he was fighting FOR his kids, just that it was the chance for him to make a good go of his career and use the world shot as a chance to take care of his family and boost his career, as an extra motivation.... it is his job and means of making cash after all.

The reason he messed up with the Katsidis fight was because during training he split from his wife and his family was in tatters... He does not appear to have that distraction in his life anymore.

tunes666

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sat 22 Sep 2012, 6:27 pm

A pro boxer who fights for glory is delusional. They fight primarily for money.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Sat 22 Sep 2012, 6:36 pm

Feeling up for this although warren has screwed the card with an awful undercard but he ain't going to change his ways now

I think Mitchell will edge it in terms of hand speed which will be a crucial factor as both will have their best moments on the outside

I think burns will come out fast and press the action and try to get the body early as he must feel he has the better engine out of the 2. Mitchell however has the power advantage and throws from good angles so burns must not stand too rigid that he walks onto something

Really good fight and best British fight out there, mitchell UD 115-113

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sat 22 Sep 2012, 6:38 pm

^^^^ That's how I see it although it wouldn't surprise me if Mitchell wins earlier.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Nico the gman Sat 22 Sep 2012, 6:42 pm

Mitchell is like any other fighter, become world champ and the bigger pay days come,get beat and your next fight is as one of the undercard of a world title fight, not rocket science win and watch the cash roll in, lose and you take whats given simples.

Will Mitchell get a points victory in Scotland regardless, highly debateable,could be a bit of controversy.

Nico the gman

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMackemMawler Sat 22 Sep 2012, 8:10 pm

There seems to be a lot of comments insinuating that an unfocused Mitchell may turn up??

And this could effect the result?

THIS IS MITCHELL'S WORLD TITLE FIGHT!!!!

Somehow, I can't see him being unfocused for this one!!

TheMackemMawler
TheMackemMawler

Back to top Go down

Post by mikeymax71 Sat 22 Sep 2012, 9:32 pm

As Ricky does not have the power to hurt Mitchell I don't think he has vastly superior boxing skills that will make up for his short comings in the power department.
If Kevin is problem free outside of the ring then I think he will be slightly behind in a tactical battle after 6 rounds. However, every time he lands it will take something out of Burns who will continue to land but with little effect before wilting and being stopped in 10 rounds

mikeymax71

Back to top Go down

Post by Haito Sat 22 Sep 2012, 9:56 pm

Mitchell's mentality will always have question marks over it though due to past events. If both fighters perform at thier very best then for me Mitchell will win this.
Haito
Haito

Back to top Go down

Post by EdWoodjr Sat 22 Sep 2012, 10:09 pm

Bully boy Harrison is certainly making heavy weather of the schoolteacher.

EdWoodjr

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMackemMawler Sat 22 Sep 2012, 10:10 pm

I may be wrong, but aren't people just edging their bets here? It seems like which ever way the result goes, everyone holds the I told you so card i.e. Mitchell wasn't focused. Posters might as well say,

"If Mitchell turns up better than Burns he'll win this one but if Mitchell does worse than Burns he'll lose. I see Mitchell winning this unless he performs worse then Burns, if that happens then Burns will definitely win, probably".

Last edited by TheMackemMawler on Sat 22 Sep 2012, 10:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
TheMackemMawler
TheMackemMawler

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Sat 22 Sep 2012, 10:10 pm

One might say he was unable to school him...wah wah wah

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by mckay1402 Sat 22 Sep 2012, 10:23 pm

I've changed my mind. I think Mitchell is gonna do it.
mckay1402
mckay1402

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sat 22 Sep 2012, 10:27 pm

TheMackemMawler wrote:I may be wrong, but aren't people just edging their bets here? It seems like which ever way the result goes, everyone holds the I told you so card i.e. Mitchell wasn't focused. Posters might as well say,

"If Mitchell turns up better than Burns he'll win this one but if Mitchell does worse than Burns he'll lose. I see Mitchell winning this unless he performs worse then Burns, if that happens then Burns will definitely win, probably".

Ha. yes they are.

Mitchell by wide UD or late KO. Burns has nothing on him.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Sat 22 Sep 2012, 10:30 pm

You rotten duo; how dare you see through me so thoroughly. Still think Burns will win, mind, but you may be sure that I'll be altering this post if the result should be otherwise.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMackemMawler Sat 22 Sep 2012, 10:31 pm

hahaha! Good luck with the predictions lads.

TheMackemMawler
TheMackemMawler

Back to top Go down

Post by mckay1402 Sat 22 Sep 2012, 10:32 pm

Did anyone else think that Michael buffer had no idea what he was talking about in that intro?
mckay1402
mckay1402

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Sat 22 Sep 2012, 10:37 pm

mckay1402 wrote:Did anyone else think that Michael buffer had no idea what he was talking about in that intro?

He is not the only one, how can you sum up the history of scotland without one mention of Mel Gibson?

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMackemMawler Sat 22 Sep 2012, 10:37 pm

Nice round.

10-9 Mitchell
TheMackemMawler
TheMackemMawler

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sat 22 Sep 2012, 10:41 pm

Burns is looking .......... interesting.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by mckay1402 Sat 22 Sep 2012, 10:43 pm

Cracking fight so far. Burns seems to have developed some snap
mckay1402
mckay1402

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sat 22 Sep 2012, 10:45 pm

The scouse colour commentator is decent.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMackemMawler Sat 22 Sep 2012, 10:45 pm

Whats the point of loading up on single left hooks?

needs to double them up, body head.
TheMackemMawler
TheMackemMawler

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sat 22 Sep 2012, 10:46 pm

Burns is doing a number on Mitchell.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by EdWoodjr Sat 22 Sep 2012, 10:47 pm

mckay1402 wrote:Did anyone else think that Michael buffer had no idea what he was talking about in that intro?

You're right. It was cringeworthy.

EdWoodjr

Back to top Go down

Post by mckay1402 Sat 22 Sep 2012, 10:48 pm

That was just superb. burns is getting better with every fight. Sorry I doubted
mckay1402
mckay1402

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMackemMawler Sat 22 Sep 2012, 10:49 pm

Wow! Didn't see that coming! Well done Ricky!
TheMackemMawler
TheMackemMawler

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sat 22 Sep 2012, 10:50 pm

OMG!!!!!

Ricky Burns????? Shocked Shocked

Someone get that boy a personality quick!!! He looks a million dollars but with a personality of 50 cents (the money not the rapper/promoter).

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by mckay1402 Sat 22 Sep 2012, 10:50 pm

alma wrote:Come on guys I'm relying on you for some commentary!
Burns took Mitchel apart. that's all there is
mckay1402
mckay1402

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Sat 22 Sep 2012, 10:50 pm

I lost money on this as I saw Burns taking it the distance, but he just improved EVEN more. What a performance!

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sat 22 Sep 2012, 10:51 pm

Take my hat off to him.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next