The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Burns v Mitchell

+45
Lance
spencerclarke
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Imperial Ghosty
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Adam D
trenchtownbaboon
Captain Charisma
Happytravelling
Lumbering_Jack
mobilemaster8
jimdig
EdWoodjr
Haito
mikeymax71
TheMackemMawler
Nico the gman
ericdacat
captain carrantuohil
Rodney
Bartley Gorman
hampo17
6oldenbhoy
mckay1402
AlexHuckerby
KingMonkey
superflyweight
tunes666
compelling and rich
TRUSSMAN66
BoxingFan88
Boxtthis
Pound-for-Pound
tobbox
Fists of Fury
ONETWOFOREVER
two_tone
azania
davidemore
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
owen10ozzy
Rowley
88Chris05
Gordy
Seanusarrilius
49 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Poll

Burns v Mitchell - Page 3 Vote_lcap11%Burns v Mitchell - Page 3 Vote_rcap 11% 
[ 6 ]
Burns v Mitchell - Page 3 Vote_lcap15%Burns v Mitchell - Page 3 Vote_rcap 15% 
[ 8 ]
Burns v Mitchell - Page 3 Vote_lcap2%Burns v Mitchell - Page 3 Vote_rcap 2% 
[ 1 ]
Burns v Mitchell - Page 3 Vote_lcap9%Burns v Mitchell - Page 3 Vote_rcap 9% 
[ 5 ]
Burns v Mitchell - Page 3 Vote_lcap63%Burns v Mitchell - Page 3 Vote_rcap 63% 
[ 34 ]

Total Votes : 54

Burns v Mitchell - Page 3 Empty Burns v Mitchell

Post by Seanusarrilius Mon 03 Sep 2012, 3:41 pm

First topic message reminder :

Updating with a poll

Ok, so this is as much a pick em as you are ever likely to see. Burns slightly favoured due to wins over MArtinez, Moses and Katsidis, and rightly so. Also, home town advantage is something Burns will have on his side, although it didn't really do Mitchell any harm against Murray.

All in all it is a great fight. Who will get this one.

Can see it being a very close decision either way. Can get 3/1 Mitchell and evens Burns on points.

Who wins this?

Last edited by Seanusarrilius on Mon 17 Sep 2012, 6:35 pm; edited 1 time in total

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Burns v Mitchell - Page 3 Empty Re: Burns v Mitchell

Post by mckay1402 Sat 22 Sep 2012, 10:51 pm

Who's next?
mckay1402
mckay1402

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Sat 22 Sep 2012, 10:53 pm

Never really rated him but he looked great tonight

Mitchell needs to really consider his career in the sport. He isnt a lightweight imo and can't take too many punches without looking wobbled at this weight but based on his weight last night I don't know if he can make SFW

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 22 Sep 2012, 10:57 pm

Anyone think Warren sounds a little disappointed that Burns won this?

Back to top Go down

Post by mckay1402 Sat 22 Sep 2012, 10:57 pm

Frank Warren looks gutted.
mckay1402
mckay1402

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Sat 22 Sep 2012, 10:57 pm

Mitchell isn't a LW I agree. Get's buckled far too easy. Warren already tlaking baout getting Burns out in December to fill his calender. Get him a huge money fight, he deserves it after that

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by mckay1402 Sat 22 Sep 2012, 11:04 pm

Is it a realistic target to unify? He did look good tonight but Mitchell looked pretty small in comparison.
mckay1402
mckay1402

Back to top Go down

Post by jimdig Sat 22 Sep 2012, 11:04 pm

Happy for Ricky. Where does the 27 year old Mitchell go from here?

jimdig

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Sat 22 Sep 2012, 11:05 pm

Wow never thought that would happen! First round i gave to Kevin, but rounds 2,3 and 4 were literally world class. Mitchell looked completely outclassed. Fair play. Unification please. Or bring Broner to Scotland and give him a lesson.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Sat 22 Sep 2012, 11:06 pm

Burns deserves the shot at unifying. Warren wants to milk him tho. probably get Murray or someone next

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Sat 22 Sep 2012, 11:13 pm

I see warren lining up a fight with Harrison in Scotland which is a nothing fight in terms of achieving anything as Harrison has only just got bal and looked poor tonight, easy points win for burns

Broner-Demarco is in november I think but broner should easily prevail and hopefully burns doesn't duck broner again as I feel it'll be a pretty competitive fight between the 2 of them in a unification fight although broner will be a lot harder than mitchell and won't be hurt or tagged as easily

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Sat 22 Sep 2012, 11:16 pm

Warren won't let him near Broner I don't think. Warren was saying "big fights will come" like Burns was a prospect or something. Harrison wouldn't compete with Burns, he was made to miss and look stupid by a school teacher ffs. Burns would stop him on workrate alone

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Sat 22 Sep 2012, 11:21 pm

What's the record for most amount of egg someone has had to wipe off their face, lads?

I said from the off that Mitchell was going to win this, that he had that bit more class as a fighter, that Burns didn't have the power to offset the Londoner's superior speed and boxing brain.

I was emphatically wrong on all counts.

Utterly superb performance by Burns, I take my hat off to him and yield to nobody in my apologies which I extend to him! Suddenly, the idea of him sharing a ring with the Broners of this world doesn't seem so ridiculous. I don't mind being wrong in this case - he's a class act and seems to be a really good bloke with a big heart, so kudos to him.

Difficult to say where Mitchell goes now. I still believe him to be a talented fighter, certainly better than plenty of fighters who have collected versions of world titles, but he does seem to wilt once he can't keep everything on his terms (ie, a distance boxing match). Time will tell, but with his mind's ability to wander and his lack of discipline now and then, it'll be a long road back.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Sat 22 Sep 2012, 11:22 pm

So, what happened then. Burns dominant? Good shot caught Mitchell who couldnt't recover. Quit like a dog?

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Sat 22 Sep 2012, 11:23 pm

88Chris05 wrote:What's the record for most amount of egg someone has had to wipe off their face, lads?

I said from the off that Mitchell was going to win this, that he had that bit more class as a fighter, that Burns didn't have the power to offset the Londoner's superior speed and boxing brain.

I was emphatically wrong on all counts.

Utterly superb performance by Burns, I take my hat off to him and yield to nobody in my apologies which I extend to him! Suddenly, the idea of him sharing a ring with the Broners of this world doesn't seem so ridiculous. I don't mind being wrong in this case - he's a class act and seems to be a really good bloke with a big heart, so kudos to him.

Difficult to say where Mitchell goes now. I still believe him to be a talented fighter, certainly better than plenty of fighters who have collected versions of world titles, but he does seem to wilt once he can't keep everything on his terms (ie, a distance boxing match). Time will tell, but with his mind's ability to wander and his lack of discipline now and then, it'll be a long road back.

Don't worry I'm also in the same boat. Fantastic performance, I totally underrated Burns defence, which was superb. He easily blocked Mitchell's attacks. Would love to see him go to Vegas for unification fights, forget what that muppet Bunce said.

clap

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Sat 22 Sep 2012, 11:24 pm

It was a great shot and then it was only a matter of time once he went down hard the first time. I didn't even know Burns was a puncher.....

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 22 Sep 2012, 11:28 pm

Dropped with a beautiful left hook and then Burns jumped on his man and forced the stoppage. burns seemed to be looking for the shot as Mitchell started to get impatient. Beautifully timed and no complaints from Mitchell either.

As for egg on face Chris, I'm still wiping mine after Froch Bute...having only just cleaned it after Froch Abraham.

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Sat 22 Sep 2012, 11:31 pm

I want to know who the two that picked Burns KO were. That is Oraclesque

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Sat 22 Sep 2012, 11:32 pm

Why don't boxers learn to hold, rather than standing there like punching bags?

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Sat 22 Sep 2012, 11:38 pm

Because they're disorientated from being punched in the head, I would imagine

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Happytravelling Sat 22 Sep 2012, 11:45 pm

Kind of contrasting boxers. One decent lad, not overly flattered with talent, but good all rounder but hard working, humble and willing to learn and the other, naturally talented but a bit of a tool.

It always depended on which Mitchell turned up and if he implimented the right fight plan. Burns, defensively, has been good, the fights I've seen. And he's been getting better. The thing that shocked me was that he KO'd Mitchell. Good on him, he's a decent lad.

I am still disappointed in Mitchell. The stream I saw the fight on wasn't great but it seemed to me that Mitchell just wasn't using his feet enough to negate Burns reach advantage and was too easily hit. He seemed to be being too macho and the chest beating part of it. To be 10s from the end of the round and not cling on like a limpet illustrates the point.

Happytravelling

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sat 22 Sep 2012, 11:57 pm

Is it me or did they look as if they should be competing in separate weight divisions? Mitchell looked tiny in comparison.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Sun 23 Sep 2012, 12:07 am

Mitchell is too small to compete at top end of division. Not his only issue, but I agree with Az that he looked teeny

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain Charisma Sun 23 Sep 2012, 12:12 am

Mitchell is too small at lightweight and doesnt live the life personally and physically to survive at the top level.

In summation I dont think he's very good. John Murray was made for him. Time to move on.

He's lasted 7 rounds in 2 world title fights.

But at least Warren looked peed off. Good times.

Captain Charisma

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun 23 Sep 2012, 12:16 am

Isn't Mitchell a salesman (or arrested for having some sort of potted plants under strong lights in his attic). Juss sayin Whistle

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by trenchtownbaboon Sun 23 Sep 2012, 1:15 am

Ill take burns winning in the fourth round by stopping Kevin moon head Mitchell
trenchtownbaboon
trenchtownbaboon

Back to top Go down

Post by mckay1402 Sun 23 Sep 2012, 9:00 am

So if burns unites the lightweight division and beats broner. Would he go down as the best Scottish boxer?
mckay1402
mckay1402

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Sun 23 Sep 2012, 9:15 am

An amazing fight and a different side to Burns - it really looked like he wanted to stand there and trade.

Very impressive.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by tunes666 Sun 23 Sep 2012, 11:02 am

alma wrote:
Seanusarrilius wrote:I want to know who the two that picked Burns KO were. That is Oraclesque

probably heard the same story I heard, that Mitchell wasn't in the right place mentally and didn't fancy the job.

Paul Smith did say something like that but I was not sure what he meant... something along the lines of... "if Mitchell has not had any more issues and has come in focsed, which if the stoires I heard and true, is not the case"...

tunes666

Back to top Go down

Post by tunes666 Sun 23 Sep 2012, 11:21 am

that being said, if he is not living the life style then he is not good enough bottom line. Credit to Burns for doing the job in style, humble nice bloke as well so I wish him all the best.

I do agree Mitchell seems to look small, but apparently struggles to make the weight... which leaves him it a difficult position.

tunes666

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Sun 23 Sep 2012, 11:24 am

compelling and rich wrote:i put a bet on last week with 9 fights, 7 have come in just need burns and frampton to do the job

Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Sun 23 Sep 2012, 11:26 am

I became alot more confident in a burns win after seeing interviews with mitchell, i'll re post it because it seems its only more apparent after last night

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Sun 23 Sep 2012, 11:27 am

compelling and rich wrote:
tunes666 wrote:
compelling and rich wrote:having seen the interview with mitchell, all he was talking about was how winning this fight will make more money for him. i do feel he's in boxing for the wrong reasons, he's on the verge of a world title shot and he's talking about money. its no wonder he had problems in the past with training etc because soon as he has money again where does his motivation come from then?

never like boxers saying they are in it for the money, mayweather being the exeception of it seeming to work (even then still think he loves the sport and wants to prove he's the best despite the talk of money all the time)

Mitchell has kids to look after, that's all he was saying, it was extra motivation for him to win the fight, he has also said it was his dream and his chance now.

Floyd has all the money in the world and calls him self MONEY Mayweather and will only fight a fight that makes him the most money.

if he is fighting for his kids i have to question why did he have so many problems in training leading up to the katsidis fight? he has motivation problems, something if he was truely dedicated to the game i doubt he would have had

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Sun 23 Sep 2012, 11:41 am

Seanusarrilius wrote:I want to know who the two that picked Burns KO were. That is Oraclesque

I picked burns by ko mate Smile

But out of sarcasm more than anything haha. Thought he would have won on points but picked ko for a laugh.....errrmmm I mean, yea, I totally knew he would have won by tko (eyes shift suspiously from side to side)
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Sun 23 Sep 2012, 11:44 am

ONETWOFOREVER wrote:I got some inside information on this fight but my source knows KM very well and also knows I post here so all I will say is KM is really up for this fight mentally,more so then any other but still you be wise to go for Burns in this 1.

Anything can happen in a fight but from what I have been told Burns may hold a better advantage....apart from being at home.

I hope KM will win.

I have in the past mocked onetwo, so in the interest of balance thought I would point people in the direction of this comment he made some weeks ago.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Sun 23 Sep 2012, 12:00 pm

Hahaha excellent jeff!!!
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sun 23 Sep 2012, 12:59 pm

Burns is starting to build up a nice little record now as well as developing fairly rapidly as a fighter since the duds against Laryea, Cook and Evensen he's starting to step firmly in the right direction with Katsidis, Moses and Mitchell. A unification fight is a must now as I feel he's well set to give anyone at the weight trouble, his power has developed nicely and now appears to hurt fighters more so than before and has a general mental and physical toughness that can't be taught.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Boy Sweetie Sun 23 Sep 2012, 3:09 pm

Mitchell has decent fundamentals but he is simply not dedicated or focused enough for this sport. His head is rarely in the right place. He's not active enough, and spends his periods of inactivity boozing and getting into scrapes with the law. He's too small at lightweight but doesn't keep himself in good enough condition to make SFW anymore. His career is fizzling out now.

Congrats to Burns, seems a top guy, lives like a pro, has worked hard to improve his game and deserves his success.
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Sugar Boy Sweetie

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Sun 23 Sep 2012, 6:54 pm

owen10ozzy wrote:Anyone catch the weigh in? ....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/boxing/article-2206731/Kevin-Mitchell-Ricky-Burns-weigh-in.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

I have to say I did not expect Burns to look bigger than Mitchell. The Scotsman looks massive around the torso and bigger across the chest..

Both look in tremendous shape but I don't think I have seen Burns come in any better than he looked today...and thats saying something because he is known to be excellent with his preparation.

I had and on my prediction game thought that Mitchell may stop him late...however after seeing the weigh in I have a gut feeling that Burns may pull off the big shock and actually stop Mitchell.

This one is going to be a barnstormer....shame it is on Boxnation. I wont be paying to fund Warren's shoddy fight cards. If the undercard was ever any good I would consider but the guy just puts one marquee name on and then a load of tosh with it...

Be checking out the videos on youtube the following...unless I can find me a stream!!

Damn...I should have changed my prediction on the OMPL game. Sorry to gloat but I do like it when I get one right...after all it doesn't happen to often in the big fights!

Sensational stuff from Burns..the guy just wont stop improving. I think he will be lined up with some soft defences of the title, but much like Hatton & Calzaghe fully expect him to leave Warren within the next 18 months for some big title shots abroad.

There is no way he would duck anybody...you can see that from his body language and the type of guy he is outside of the ring. I think he would honestly fancy his chances against anyone in the World right now. He talked about moving up in weight as well and given the size difference last night you can see why. As I stated after the weigh in the guy looked pretty huge last night.

Kudos to Burns....success couldn't go to a nicer bloke. clap

owen10ozzy

http://aviewfrommyarmchair.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Nico the gman Sun 23 Sep 2012, 7:26 pm

The problem with Mitchell he is one of those fighters who is a good British,European fighter but just falls short at world level.

Two comprehensive defeats in world title fights regardless of Mitchells dedication or lack of, he's just not good enough.

Burns is no Ray Leonard but hes dedicated and gets the job done a bit like Terry Marsh used to do.

Nico the gman

Back to top Go down

Post by spencerclarke Sun 23 Sep 2012, 7:38 pm

Burns surprised all and silenced a few doubters. For all Mitchell's haters he as well was very dignified in defeat. He obviously makes a fool of himself at times but he does man up and doesn't really go into the trash talking. Well at least in the last few fights. Good luck to them both. Great domestic dust up

spencerclarke

Back to top Go down

Post by tunes666 Sun 23 Sep 2012, 9:18 pm

alma wrote:
tunes666 wrote:
alma wrote:

probably heard the same story I heard, that Mitchell wasn't in the right place mentally and didn't fancy the job.

Paul Smith did say something like that but I was not sure what he meant... something along the lines of... "if Mitchell has not had any more issues and has come in focsed, which if the stoires I heard and true, is not the case"...

his little cousin recently passed away from cancer and by all accounts it was a very difficult loss to come to terms with. I had heard he wasn't mentally up for the fight, just a case of unfortunate timing I guess. I wish Mitchell well anyway.

that would not have helped I guess..

I get the feeling Burns is a top fighter anyway and while Ricky may give a butter showing on another day I just think Burns is a bigger stronger guy..

tunes666

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Mon 24 Sep 2012, 11:47 am

has anybody heard anything about mitchell taking a dive?? im not convinced if i believe it or not yet, but after a tip off i tried to place a bet on burns KO in 4, and i couldnt find a british bookmakes who would take the bet just before the fight. coral and betfred even suspended my accounts for 24 hours when i tried to place the bet. Its not the first controversial stoppage and betting pattern burns has been involved in, and mitchell supposedly has financial problems. However UP UNTIL THE KNOCKDOWN THERE WAS NOTHING AT ALL SUSPISCIOUS IN THE FIGHT. did seem a weak punch to put him down though

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Mon 24 Sep 2012, 12:20 pm

I would say it was a genuine fight, i thought in the cook fight it was more Cook that was involved in the betting.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Mon 24 Sep 2012, 12:46 pm

The Galveston Giant wrote:I would say it was a genuine fight, i thought in the cook fight it was more Cook that was involved in the betting.

cook certainly knew what he was doing as far as im concerned. i dont think his acting was even convincing. as far mitchell, if he did take a dive hes a great actor, if he didnt, his chin is pretty poor

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Mon 24 Sep 2012, 2:04 pm

What I don't understand is it looked like Mitchell struggled a bit with lightweight, yet Ricky Burns was miles bigger than him.

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Mon 24 Sep 2012, 2:05 pm

Mitchell didn't dive and he was stopped on his feet. Cook went int here for a paycheck and in that sense he knew exactly what he was doing

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by monty junior Mon 24 Sep 2012, 2:25 pm

Burns ko's a guy in four who Prescott who ko'd Khan in 17 seconds couldn't wobble. Does this mean Ricky would stop Khan in 16 seconds or less? surely going by that impregnable logic. Shocked

monty junior

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Mon 24 Sep 2012, 5:00 pm

I would be surprised if it was a dive. Surely the financial rewards of winning the fight for Mitchell would outweigh any benefit of taking a dive? Plus his career has now suffered another huge setback. Unless the money for the dive was silly money I dont see what benefit there would be for Mitchell unless he felt he had almost no chance of winning the fight.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMackemMawler Mon 24 Sep 2012, 5:59 pm

Dive? Pfffffft!
TheMackemMawler
TheMackemMawler

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Mon 24 Sep 2012, 7:05 pm

Seanusarrilius wrote:Mitchell didn't dive and he was stopped on his feet. Cook went int here for a paycheck and in that sense he knew exactly what he was doing

cook and his mates also bet on himself losing in one. its being investigated. cook has since moved to spain with plenty of cash.

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next