The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Burns v Mitchell

+45
Lance
spencerclarke
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Imperial Ghosty
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Adam D
trenchtownbaboon
Captain Charisma
Happytravelling
Lumbering_Jack
mobilemaster8
jimdig
EdWoodjr
Haito
mikeymax71
TheMackemMawler
Nico the gman
ericdacat
captain carrantuohil
Rodney
Bartley Gorman
hampo17
6oldenbhoy
mckay1402
AlexHuckerby
KingMonkey
superflyweight
tunes666
compelling and rich
TRUSSMAN66
BoxingFan88
Boxtthis
Pound-for-Pound
tobbox
Fists of Fury
ONETWOFOREVER
two_tone
azania
davidemore
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
owen10ozzy
Rowley
88Chris05
Gordy
Seanusarrilius
49 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Poll

Burns v Mitchell Vote_lcap11%Burns v Mitchell Vote_rcap 11% 
[ 6 ]
Burns v Mitchell Vote_lcap15%Burns v Mitchell Vote_rcap 15% 
[ 8 ]
Burns v Mitchell Vote_lcap2%Burns v Mitchell Vote_rcap 2% 
[ 1 ]
Burns v Mitchell Vote_lcap9%Burns v Mitchell Vote_rcap 9% 
[ 5 ]
Burns v Mitchell Vote_lcap63%Burns v Mitchell Vote_rcap 63% 
[ 34 ]

Total Votes : 54

Burns v Mitchell Empty Burns v Mitchell

Post by Seanusarrilius Mon 03 Sep 2012, 3:41 pm

Updating with a poll

Ok, so this is as much a pick em as you are ever likely to see. Burns slightly favoured due to wins over MArtinez, Moses and Katsidis, and rightly so. Also, home town advantage is something Burns will have on his side, although it didn't really do Mitchell any harm against Murray.

All in all it is a great fight. Who will get this one.

Can see it being a very close decision either way. Can get 3/1 Mitchell and evens Burns on points.

Who wins this?

Last edited by Seanusarrilius on Mon 17 Sep 2012, 6:35 pm; edited 1 time in total

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Burns v Mitchell Empty Re: Burns v Mitchell

Post by Gordy Mon 03 Sep 2012, 3:43 pm

Burns will win this. Mitchell is not a world class boxer. He was beaten quite badly by Katsidas but Burns was able to beat him without to much difficulty so it shows the difference in class.

Gordy

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Mon 03 Sep 2012, 3:51 pm

I've said it before, but Mitchell for me, without much pause for thought.

I think Mitchell is underestimated on here in terms of ability; he's far more polished an operator than Burns, hits harder and is quicker, too.

I think Burns' only hope, much like Murray's was, is to try and smother Mitchell using his size advantage and attempt to make it the dullest affair that the Glasgow crowd have ever seen. If he allows Mitchell any room he'll be outboxed and won't be able to get off regularly enough. Just don't think Burns hits hard enough to offset the superior power of Mitchell.

Mitchell via a fairly comfortable decision, for me.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Mon 03 Sep 2012, 3:58 pm

88Chris05 wrote:I've said it before, but Mitchell for me, without much pause for thought.

I think Mitchell is underestimated on here in terms of ability; he's far more polished an operator than Burns, hits harder and is quicker, too.

I think Burns' only hope, much like Murray's was, is to try and smother Mitchell using his size advantage and attempt to make it the dullest affair that the Glasgow crowd have ever seen. If he allows Mitchell any room he'll be outboxed and won't be able to get off regularly enough. Just don't think Burns hits hard enough to offset the superior power of Mitchell.

Mitchell via a fairly comfortable decision, for me.

I went against Mitchell when he waas the superior boxer once (Murray), and he broiught out the best performance of his career. I rate Mitchell higher than Burns too, but whatdo you think of home advantage angle? If it is close, you have to imagine it favours Burns at home. A 7-5 Mitchell becomes a draw or 7-5 the other way if rounds are close. This could be far more tentative than the Mitchell v Murray fight. Burns likes the back foot and Mitchell can be coy too.

Are we definitely thinking points? I am

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon 03 Sep 2012, 4:00 pm

I also see this one as close, Mitchell is a class act when he is focused and for me has the definite edge in ability, but focus is the key word in all that, his dedication and application has clearly been lacking on occasion in the past and against Burns you know he is going in against a guy who suffers from none of these issues and whilst no world beater has developed into a tidy all round operator.

Add into that the home advantage and you would have to suspect an absolute bear pit of an atmosphere and if Burns is still in this at the half way stage suspect he could pull the points win out of the bag if it gets attritional late on.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Mon 03 Sep 2012, 4:08 pm

Can either force a stoppage in your opinion Rowley?

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Mon 03 Sep 2012, 4:08 pm

I think it really depends on which Mitchell turns up. You can have all the talent in the world but if you are cutting corners or are not focused it will show up...much like it did when he got his pasting from Katsidis.

On talent alone I give Mitchell the edge but I think this is going to boil down to more than that. Can he stick to a game plan as well as Burns...I would say probably not.

Clearly Burns doesnt have the power to stop Mitchell but I also think he is solid enough and clever enough to not get caught with too much flush...add to the fact he has a very decent chin and I think all signs do point to a points decision.

I think, as Sean alluded to, this will definitely be a more tentative affair than the Mitchell v Murray fight. I also do think home advantage could tell, not in the case of close rounds but more so in the performance....

Scotland is a tough place to go and fight and the partisan crowd will definitely lift Burns if & when the going gets tough.

I fancy Burns to win it by a close but UD.....however having said that 'IF' and it's a big one, Mitchell turns up with his A Game and is fully focused I actually wouldn't be surprised to see a very late stoppage win for him!!

(So basically im completely on the fence for this one Smile )

owen10ozzy

http://aviewfrommyarmchair.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Mon 03 Sep 2012, 4:11 pm

Interesting points regarding home advantage for Burns, Sean & Rowley.

I'm operating under the assumption that the judges will be fair and impartial, of course. Can understand a level of cynicism, given some of the shady carry on from the judges in big fights lately, but I'll remain hopeful that each fighter will be given a fair shake on the cards until I see something which suggests otherwise.

As for the atmosphere, well I guess we can only wait and see ow it might effect Mitchell. He faced (and succeeded in front of) a hostile crowd against Murray, but up in Glasgow it's going to be hostile to the nth degree. I think, however, that given his personal issues which he's (apparently) got rid of and the kiss of life his win over Murray gave to his career, he should be big enough and ugly enough to suck it up and just get on with the job in hand.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon 03 Sep 2012, 4:12 pm

Seanusarrilius wrote:Can either force a stoppage in your opinion Rowley?

Would be surprised Sean but have to think if it comes it is for Mitchell as he definitely has the dig of the two.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Mon 03 Sep 2012, 4:22 pm

True. I don't see a stoppage. Burns has a very good chin to counteract Mitchell's power, and although I don't rate Mitchell's chin that highly, Burns has no power of his own

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Mon 03 Sep 2012, 4:49 pm

Mitchell wins this imo if he is on his game as I'm one of the firm believers that the loss to katsidis was highly influenced by personal issues.

Burns is very by the book, good jab, tight guard, physically fit with toughness to survive. However, his lack of power and speed will be a big downfall for him. Mitchell is smaller and doesn't have the natural six eid burns but carries more power and is quicker.

It will be interesting to see who fights on the outside best and dictates the tempo as both like to keep their opponents on the end of straight punches

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Mon 03 Sep 2012, 5:02 pm

This is the definition of pick 'em for me.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon 03 Sep 2012, 7:53 pm

I cant stand the pair of them, but dislike Mitchell more. Hope Mr Excitement Burns wins, but think Mitchell would be too much for him.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by two_tone Tue 04 Sep 2012, 2:41 pm

I think Mitchell will get a TKO late, this is assuming he turns up in tip top condition, if he does I think his best is better than Burns' from what I have seen of them both.

two_tone

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Tue 04 Sep 2012, 2:58 pm

I got some inside information on this fight but my source knows KM very well and also knows I post here so all I will say is KM is really up for this fight mentally,more so then any other but still you be wise to go for Burns in this 1.

Anything can happen in a fight but from what I have been told Burns may hold a better advantage....apart from being at home.

I hope KM will win.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Tue 04 Sep 2012, 3:00 pm

Mitchell, for me. For all of Burns' impressive qualities I'm not sure one of them is a natural boxing ability. This is something that Mitchell has, and I'm going 116-112 to the Dagenham man.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Tue 04 Sep 2012, 3:01 pm

3/1 on Mitchell points boys. Just saying

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 04 Sep 2012, 3:03 pm

Onetwo is like 606's version of deep throat. (That is a reference to All the Presidents Men, not the skin flick which I am told exists of the same name. I am better than that and would also not dare insult someone of onetwo's skill set in such a manner)

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by tobbox Tue 04 Sep 2012, 3:08 pm

I think Burns will nick the early rounds before Mitchell takes over. I think he's just a bit too cute for Burns who also lacks the power to keep him away. Mitchell UD for me.

tobbox

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Tue 04 Sep 2012, 3:10 pm

rowley wrote:Onetwo is like 606's version of deep throat. (That is a reference to All the Presidents Men, not the skin flick which I am told exists of the same name. I am better than that and would also not dare insult someone of onetwo's skill set in such a manner)

you would be wise not to insult me jeff. I a on stand by next to the Assad household but can easily get a flight out to yorkshire.

I am really tempted to disclose my findings but I must be typically British and remain stoic on this one.

Its nothing too serious but still quite alarming considering the magnitude of the fight.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 04 Sep 2012, 3:12 pm

I would never insult you onetwo, I have nothing but love for you, you amuse me. The deep throat reference was a compliment as anyone who has seen the film or read the book will tell you.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Tue 04 Sep 2012, 3:18 pm

Does anyone think it could kick off up there in Glasgow?

Considering Dagenham's finest will be making their way up there to rough Glasgow.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Tue 04 Sep 2012, 4:10 pm

Nah, be fine. You would be suicidal to go up to Glasgow expecting to be able to motuh of at the locals and get away with it. IF it were to sides of glasgow coming together, maybe, but it will be alright

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Pound-for-Pound Tue 04 Sep 2012, 6:06 pm

I'm guessing from onetwo's posts that we have a Mitchell injury. Shame, i was looking forward to this one.

Pound-for-Pound

Back to top Go down

Post by Pound-for-Pound Tue 04 Sep 2012, 6:11 pm

Is the main undercard for this bout really John Simpson versus some journeyman for a worthless strap? I guess Warren can't be bothered wasting money when he knows we'll all tune in just for the main event.

Pound-for-Pound

Back to top Go down

Post by Boxtthis Tue 04 Sep 2012, 6:55 pm

Pound-for-Pound wrote:Is the main undercard for this bout really John Simpson versus some journeyman for a worthless strap? I guess Warren can't be bothered wasting money when he knows we'll all tune in just for the main event.

Yep, no strength in the undercard at all. I heard Scott Harrison is fighting against a TBA opponent. It's a same we've got to put up with these flimsy cards, but, as you say, people will attend and watch this one in droves for the main event alone.

Last edited by Boxtthis on Tue 04 Sep 2012, 7:16 pm; edited 1 time in total

Boxtthis

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Tue 04 Sep 2012, 6:57 pm

rowley wrote:Onetwo is like 606's version of deep throat. (That is a reference to All the Presidents Men, not the skin flick which I am told exists of the same name. I am better than that and would also not dare insult someone of onetwo's skill set in such a manner)

I bet Whistle

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Tue 04 Sep 2012, 9:19 pm

Mitchell on points or late knockout in my opinion, thats if he trains properly and turns up. I have always thought this would be the outcome and nothing has changed my mind.

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 04 Sep 2012, 9:51 pm

Not pickem for me.......Mitchell has that bit of class that you don't see often from this side of the Atlantic...

Katsidis was a bad night I can forgive him that!!!

Murray was a superb performance..........

Like the kid hope he beats the paper champion...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Mon 17 Sep 2012, 6:36 pm

Personally i think Mitchell is the better boxer, but could see Burns being more active and eeking out a razor thin pts decision. So tough to call

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 17 Sep 2012, 6:52 pm

Come on Kevin..........handsomish lad with a decent style and a bit of personality....

Beat the boring Scot.....

However the Scots are on a roll at the moment...with Hoy and Murray...

I'll go Mitchell by decision in a stinker that isn't his fault..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Mon 17 Sep 2012, 7:41 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Come on Kevin..........handsomish lad with a decent style and a bit of personality....

Beat the boring Scot.....

However the Scots are on a roll at the moment...with Hoy and Murray...

I'll go Mitchell by decision in a stinker that isn't his fault..

So negative Truss boxing Very Happy

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Mon 17 Sep 2012, 7:58 pm

i put a bet on last week with 9 fights, 7 have come in just need burns and frampton to do the job, the two tougher fights to call out of them all.

nearer the time now though and cant help but think mitchell is going to spoil it

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 17 Sep 2012, 8:00 pm

Maybe you should have a job on ringside.....or at paddypower..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Mon 17 Sep 2012, 8:21 pm

alma wrote:
compelling and rich wrote:i put a bet on last week with 9 fights, 7 have come in just need burns and frampton to do the job, the two tougher fights to call out of them all.

nearer the time now though and cant help but think mitchell is going to spoil it

how much will you win?

cant remember exactly, but put a fiver on it and the odds were around 12/13-1 so should be around 60 quid

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 17 Sep 2012, 8:23 pm

60 pounds for nine fights?????

Who did you bet with......

Shylock power!!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Mon 17 Sep 2012, 8:45 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:60 pounds for nine fights?????

Who did you bet with......

Shylock power!!

considering the likes of alvarez were in there who were shoe-ins and odds on its not that bad. trying to remember exactly who was in it

think i had alvarez, martinez, maidana, rigondeaux, macklin, hernadez maybe one more that came in that i cant think of, then burns and frampton to come

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 17 Sep 2012, 8:49 pm

If this poll is anthing to go by..you should be ok....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Mon 17 Sep 2012, 8:53 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:If this poll is anthing to go by..you should be ok....

lets hope so, but thats the easy prediction as its only ever going to be the way burns wins. home town always helps aswell when every punch lands is cheered on by the fans whether it landed or not (always has a effect on judges)

molitars no mug either, but frampton should have enough to deal with him

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by tunes666 Tue 18 Sep 2012, 12:22 pm

Mitchell for me, often good fighters have a blip and a kick up the ass and that was his Katsidis loss. He was no way him self in that fight.

Also I think Mitchell likes it away from home as he does not feel as much pressure.

People doubt him because of the Katsidis fight but the guy is class and would beat Katsidis now.

I think his power will tell and he will stop Burns in the 10/11th

tunes666

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Tue 18 Sep 2012, 12:37 pm

Mitchell clearly the more talented fighter but I've picked Burns to win on points. Burns has improved significantly over the last couple of years and can fight at a high pace and throw enough punches to unsettle Mitchell.

Not sure any comparisons can be drawn with the Murray fight as Burns is a very different fighter from John and has more punches in his arsenal and isn't nearly as easy to hit.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Tue 18 Sep 2012, 2:34 pm

I just can't decide how this goes. Mitchell is the most talented Brit at LW in my opinion, but you just never know how he is likely to perform.

Argh!

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by KingMonkey Wed 19 Sep 2012, 9:00 pm

I thought ring rust would hamper Mitchell against Murray but he has a superb team behind him these days. If he is on the ball and has been all camp it's going to be a very close call.

Without really having fought anyone (surprise, surprise) Burns has really grown into being a 'Champion' and he deserves a lot of credit for his last outing against the African chap. I don't blame him for giving Broner the swerve.

I've been pessimistic and gone for Burns on points but Kev has the talent to win.

KingMonkey

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Thu 20 Sep 2012, 2:59 pm

This undercard is a disgrace btw

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Thu 20 Sep 2012, 3:04 pm

We call it a pick 'em but my, my, nearly everyone went with Burns Points...

Gone with Mitchell on points, should be interesting though.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by mckay1402 Thu 20 Sep 2012, 3:04 pm

I like Burns. Although he is under powered he has great defence and can pick his shots really well. Mitchell fought a superb fight against Murray but I have a feeling he will find it difficult against Burns who won't just walk forward with his hands over his face. I reckon the Burns by a couple of rounds
mckay1402
mckay1402

Back to top Go down

Post by 6oldenbhoy Thu 20 Sep 2012, 3:13 pm

Seanusarrilius wrote:This undercard is a disgrace btw

Totally agree. I'm in Glasgow this weekend and was going to head to this as the main event is a cracker. But with chief support being John Simpson and Scott Harrison against another bum, I couldn't justify the £50 that Mr Warren expects people to cough up.

6oldenbhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Thu 20 Sep 2012, 3:17 pm

KingMonkey wrote:I thought ring rust would hamper Mitchell against Murray but he has a superb team behind him these days. If he is on the ball and has been all camp it's going to be a very close call.

Without really having fought anyone (surprise, surprise) Burns has really grown into being a 'Champion' and he deserves a lot of credit for his last outing against the African chap. I don't blame him for giving Broner the swerve.

I've been pessimistic and gone for Burns on points but Kev has the talent to win.

Did he not beat Roman Martinez who was considered the number one at SFW by some?

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Thu 20 Sep 2012, 3:19 pm

6oldenbhoy wrote:
Seanusarrilius wrote:This undercard is a disgrace btw

Totally agree. I'm in Glasgow this weekend and was going to head to this as the main event is a cracker. But with chief support being John Simpson and Scott Harrison against another bum, I couldn't justify the £50 that Mr Warren expects people to cough up.

This is one of the biggest issues i have with Warren on a subscripiton channel.. All his cards have a decent main event and terrible undercards

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Thu 20 Sep 2012, 3:25 pm

hampo171 wrote:
KingMonkey wrote:I thought ring rust would hamper Mitchell against Murray but he has a superb team behind him these days. If he is on the ball and has been all camp it's going to be a very close call.

Did he not beat Roman Martinez who was considered the number one at SFW by some?

Katsidis wasn't a bad win either. Sure there were some turkeys in between but Martinez and Katsidis stand up to Miotchell's best wins of Prescott and Murray.

I think Mitchell is easily the more naturally talented of the two, but if Burns puts the work in early and keeps Mitchell on the end of his improvng 1-2's he might shave a close 115-113 type points win. Home advantage, crowd etc will prob give him edge in close rounds

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next