The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kevin Mitchell Or Ricky Burns Would Beat Rios!

+12
The Galveston Giant
TRUSSMAN66
Lance
Seanusarrilius
Steffan
johnson2
ONETWOFOREVER
two_tone
BoxingFan88
6oldenbhoy
hampo17
AlexHuckerby
16 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Kevin Mitchell Or Ricky Burns Would Beat Rios! Empty Kevin Mitchell Or Ricky Burns Would Beat Rios!

Post by AlexHuckerby Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:16 pm

Genuinely believe this...

For me Burns has come on massively and in my opinion genuinely has the tools to beat Rios, good enough movement, Rios is too slow, Acosta started to feel confident against Rios and was backing him up a few times, would have beaten him if he didn't over commit and start to tire.

Mitchell will beat him also, lots of you will scream at me, well if he can't beat Katsidis he can't beat Rios. My opinion, Rios doesn't attack anywhere near as fast as Katsidis, and Mitchell is massively under rated due to being so heavily disliked. I can imagine a similar kind of performance he put out against Prescott, where he was clever picked his punches and used his extra speed.

Disagree with me?

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Kevin Mitchell Or Ricky Burns Would Beat Rios! Empty Re: Kevin Mitchell Or Ricky Burns Would Beat Rios!

Post by hampo17 Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:26 pm

Burns yes, he would fight like he did against Katsidis. Use his jab well and play it smart when Rios got inside. Mitchell however I believe would have a tough night, he loves to get involved in a brawl, and doesn't really have the jab to keep Rios at distance. Not saying he'd get beat, but it would be a very tough fight.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Kevin Mitchell Or Ricky Burns Would Beat Rios! Empty Re: Kevin Mitchell Or Ricky Burns Would Beat Rios!

Post by 6oldenbhoy Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:40 pm

I would make Rios a favourite against both. Burns doesn't hit hard enough to keep Rios off him. Whilst Burns would rack up an early lead, Rios would wear him down, before eventually stopping him late.

Mitchell just doesn't have the boxing intelligence for me. Whilst people will point to the Prescott fight as an indicator that Mitchell can outbox a dangerous puncher, there are too many examples of him getting into tear-up and almost throwing it away. He was hurt against Johanneson (sp), Katsidis as well as Murray. I can't envisage Murray not getting caught clean at least once by Rios, who in my opinion hits harder than all three. Once he gets caught, Rios would finish him off, earlier than Burns.

6oldenbhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:58 pm

I don't think so. Rios is a big lightweight and would stop both of them.

Walk through them and take them out, Acosta hits much harder than Burns does.

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by two_tone Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:11 pm

If Burns couldnt knock anyone out at superfeatherweight what makes you think he could hold off a hard hitting, huge at the weight Rios? Mitchell might fair better but think both would struggle.

two_tone

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:37 pm

I agree with Mitchall but not too sure about Burns. Kevin would be too clever but it depends on what frame of mind he is in for the fight. If he comes in ready like he did against Murry then I see him taking a decision.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:27 pm

Well Burns was hurting Katsidis with body shots, who is one hell of a tough man, I can see Burns using his movement and picking his moments to stay on the ropes and cover up well and frustrate Rios in a similar kind of way to what he did to Katsidis. Rios is slower than Katsidis by a mile and Burns seems to have a good pair of whiskers on him if it comes to that, I think there will be difficult moments for him, but think the similar kind of way of beating Katsidis ie. jab straight right and left hook to the body will do the trick again.

With Mitchell I'm less sure of, but genuinely think he would take Rios, think he would fight a similar way to Acosta but hopefully stay sharp enough to not get caught, don't forget Acosta was beating Rios until he got decked in the 11th (i think) so I see no reason as to why Mitchell can't do it, as long as he doesn't get stupid and fight fire with fire, if he does do that then he probably would get splatted.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by 6oldenbhoy Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:37 pm

Not being pedantic Alex, but Rios was up on all three scorecards when the fight was stopped in the 10th. Acosta did well early on, but Rios slowly crept back into it, and had Him down 3 times before the fight was stopped. I'd envisage the same sort of fight with Burns.

6oldenbhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by johnson2 Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:44 pm

AlexHuckerby wrote:Well Burns was hurting Katsidis with body shots, who is one hell of a tough man, I can see Burns using his movement and picking his moments to stay on the ropes and cover up well and frustrate Rios in a similar kind of way to what he did to Katsidis. Rios is slower than Katsidis by a mile and Burns seems to have a good pair of whiskers on him if it comes to that, I think there will be difficult moments for him, but think the similar kind of way of beating Katsidis ie. jab straight right and left hook to the body will do the trick again.

With Mitchell I'm less sure of, but genuinely think he would take Rios, think he would fight a similar way to Acosta but hopefully stay sharp enough to not get caught, don't forget Acosta was beating Rios until he got decked in the 11th (i think) so I see no reason as to why Mitchell can't do it, as long as he doesn't get stupid and fight fire with fire, if he does do that then he probably would get splatted.

The Katsidis who fought Burns was a shell of his former self.

Rios takes them both out. Neither has the power to deter him and if Burns and Mitchell can be wobbled against oppositon like Martinez and Murray then the stronger Rios will certainly make an impression on them.

Both are taken out in the mid rounds.

johnson2

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:47 pm

From memory Johnson Burns was put down by a flash knockdown against Martinez in the first round, similar to how Froch was against Taylor. Burns took bigger shots against Katsidis and kept going.

It's Burns movement that causes Rios problems for me, Burns has to be on his bike for the majority of the fight.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:12 pm

Burns would beat him

Mitchell wouldnt

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:16 pm

Rios would KO Mitchell after 6, Burns has a good chin so could go the distance.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:07 pm

i would like to see rios against mitchell. i think it would be a great fight and mitchell would have a realistic chance of winning. if he fights like he did against murray i cant see anybody at lightweight steam rolling him again. would still be a tough ask though.
unless burns managed to get rios to england, which i highly doubt, then i think rios would have him out of there early. as good as burns was against katsidis and martinez, i felt he was given a lot of room to grab, push and at times all out spoil whilst fighting on a warren bill against these guys. with out much more of the same i dont think he could keep rios off for very long.

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:15 pm

You see this shows Warren's tricks do work!!!

The op has forgotten that Katsidis was a face first brawler that got completely trashed just before he lost to Burns.....

As Warren hoped some... like the op.. would think it was a big deal..a la Khan v Barrera!!!!!

As stated above..Burns has no power..and is being overrated by his win over a "half dead overachiever"

Rios beats both but for me struggles more with Mitchell's power...

Maybe Boxnation will succeed after all...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:15 pm

Burns had his back against the ropes against Katsidis with a high guard, he wasn't exactly spoiling Khan style.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:19 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:You see this shows Warren's tricks do work!!!

The op has forgotten that Katsidis was a face first brawler that got completely trashed just before he lost to Burns.....

As Warren hoped some... like the op.. would think it was a big deal..a la Khan v Barrera!!!!!

As stated above..Burns has no power..and is being overrated by his win over a "half dead overachiever"

Rios beats both but for me struggles more with Mitchell's power...

Maybe Boxnation will succeed after all...

And had destroyed Mitchell the fight before that.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:28 pm

The Galveston Giant wrote:And had destroyed Mitchell the fight before that.

It was actually 2 fights before that (brave loss to Marquez) but I know what you mean

Truss is clearly in one of his slating fighters from the Isles moods who are supported by a poor channel that is watched by easily pleased fans bla bla

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:35 pm

Wasn't talking about Marquez!!! Talking about the one sided slating..he had after..

get your facts right..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:37 pm

Robert guerrero...now stop wumming..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:38 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Wasn't talking about Marquez!!! Talking about the one sided slating..he had after..

get your facts right..

Are you talking to me or GG? I know full well Katsidis last loss before Burns was Robert Guerrero

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:41 pm

Just that people forget that Katsidis was badly hammered and that he was always an over-achieving face first brawler....anyway..

Don't play Warren's game!!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:41 pm

Katsidis lost fairly convincingly to both Marquez and Guerrero after the Mitchell win which puts his actual ability into context.

Rios takes both of them out within the distance, he's just too big, too strong, too durable and too powerful for the pair. Burns with his superior durability might make a fist of things while it lasts but you need a top class defence if you're that outmatched in almost every compartment which neither has.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:47 pm

Remember Hatton vs Pendleton????

warren has this habit of matching his contenders with half dead former vague world titlists......and making out it's a big achievement thrashing them...

just saying some people buy in...!!!!!!!

Katsidis looked woefully outclassed against Guerrero...

suggest people watch it again...

and when Burns beat him.....Boxnation went crazy or his paid sycophants did anyway..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:50 pm

Burns win over Katsidis was a good one because I didn't think he'd pull it off but in no way does it suggest he lives with Rios, who does everything much better than Kats.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:52 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Remember Hatton vs Pendleton????

warren has this habit of matching his contenders with half dead former vague world titlists......and making out it's a big achievement thrashing them...

just saying some people buy in...!!!!!!!

Katsidis looked woefully outclassed against Guerrero...

suggest people watch it again...

and when Burns beat him.....Boxnation went crazy or his paid sycophants did anyway..

as ive said before, mitchell is katsidis best win, and earl is his most memorable victory. the guy is very brave and very entertaining, but i think that has fooled a lot of people into thinking hes a lot better than he actually is. was still a risky fight for burns but one they were a lot happier about than broner.

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:55 pm

Imperial Ghosty wrote:Burns win over Katsidis was a good one because I didn't think he'd pull it off but in no way does it suggest he lives with Rios, who does everything much better than Kats.

yeah i agree. i underrated burns and thought he was a level below katsidis, but people have gotten carried away now. katsidis has always been exposed at top level, and beaten far worse than by burns even when in his prime. mitchell will beat burns comfortably i reckon, and rios would walk him down and stop him early

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:03 pm

I would back Burns to beat Rios but not Mitchell. People are saying Burns is over rated now because of his win over Katsidis but Rios is nothing special. He can't box, he's wide open and if he comes up against any one with a decent jab and defence he loses.

Mitchell would get drawn into a scrap Burns is more disciplined that that.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:09 pm

Sorry buts that absolute rubbish, since when does it only take a jab and defence to beat a pressure fighter? As if unless you're a stylistic genius like Mayweather you're nothing.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:15 pm

I never said pressure fighters in general I'm talking about Rios but yet again if someone doesn't agree with you it's rubbish.

His defence is poor his footwork is slow and clumsy.He has no real jab he just bores in and throws punches.

He's been matched very nicely style wise
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:17 pm

Think it's a bit harsh to rubbish someone with Rios' ability to say he loses to a jab, he's far better than that.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:21 pm

I did say a decent jab and defence. He's been matched very well. Guys who aren't very good defensively and aren't up to much going backwards.

He's big and strong but he isn't used to go the distance and when he has went the distance he has not impressed in the later rounds.

I think Burns with his height reach, jab and body punches is a horrible match up for Rios.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:25 pm

Personally think that Burns with his leaky defence is custom made for Rios to take out early, Burns is decent but i'm unsure as to whether he's really any better than Murray who's bigger as well as being a bigger puncher. If you don't have a big punch you're not going to keep him off you.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:27 pm

Must admit suggesting Rios loses to just a decent jab and a defence......does sound very demeaning!!

Think as Ghosty say's there is more to it than that!!

Or everybody would be a World champion..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:29 pm

Burns would box Murray's ears off! Murray is awful- one dimensional, clumsy, no lateral movement and his defence is shocking.

Burns has good foot movement and his defence is improving. He's a much better fighter than the one that beat Martinez. I'm not sold on Rios I want to see him in with a boxer but we won't.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:33 pm

Murray - One dimensional, clumsy, no lateral movement!!!!

Rios - Decent jab and defence slaps his butt!!

How come this chump isn't a World champ!!!

Everybody seems to be garbage..

Jog on!!!! you're a muppet

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:33 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Must admit suggesting Rios loses to just a decent jab and a defence......does sound very demeaning!!

Think as Ghosty say's there is more to it than that!!

Or everybody would be a World champion..

Like Burns at 130lbs Rios is nothing more than a token title holder. He's never been the top man at the weight.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:34 pm

Can't say i've seen any real improvement in Burns, his opposition before Katsidis was absolutely awful.

Personally think that you're over rating Burns hugely and under rating Rios, he's decent but he's not got the ability to outbox guys willy nilly.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:37 pm

Imperial Ghosty wrote:Can't say i've seen any real improvement in Burns, his opposition before Katsidis was absolutely awful.

Personally think that you're over rating Burns hugely and under rating Rios, he's decent but he's not got the ability to outbox guys willy nilly.

It depends how highly you rate both of them. I reckon Burns is the best in Europe and if Marquez and Guerrero move up Rios would be the top man at a 135lbs division that would be poor. I'm not convinced either are all that good just fancy Burns to beat Rios.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:39 pm

If Marquez and Guerrero move up then I fully expect Rios to move up with them, he's not really going to be interested in low risk low reward fights like Mitchell or Burns, has far bigger fish to fry.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:45 pm

Apparently he was moving up because he couldn't make the weight any more.

Then Bob Arum was talking about Rios vs Gamboa at 135lbs then it went all quiet.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:54 pm

If there's a money fight at 135lbs then he'll stay there but otherwise he'll be moving up.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:05 pm

Couple of people in the know on twitter say it will be John Molina at the beginning of March
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by 6oldenbhoy Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:10 pm

Ghostly, whilst I agree that Kev does seem to under rate Rios somewhat, I think you're guilty of doing exactly the same with Burns. I said above that I'd back Rios to stop him late, I haven't seen anything to suggest Rios would take him out early. Everyone expected Katsidis to Knock him out, but Burns boxed with a gameplan that was very effective. I'd imagine Burns to use a variation of that gameplan, build up an early lead before Rios eventually catches up with him, either stopping him on his feet or winning a clear enough UD.

6oldenbhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:32 pm

You can't use the Katsidis fight as the foundation, he was battle worn, he had seen better days and Rios is a far better fighter, not downplaying Burns but that's the reality of the situation. He simply doesn't possess the punch to keep Rios away from him, different styles of fighter but Acosta and Antillon are far bigger punchers than Burns but barely made a dent, can't see how Burns wins this or competes. Murray had size and strength to his advantage, Burns again has neither.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:36 pm

Acosta and Antillion are bigger punchers but they can't do much else both are made for Rios same with Murray. Wide open and throw a lot of punches. Burns would cause him trouble.

He can box behind a jab and throws excellent body shots something that would slow Rios down.

SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:47 pm

Can't really see Burns slowing Rios down at all, he's been hit with plenty of body shots in his career to no effect. Early to mid knockout after a punishing few rounds.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:49 pm

I don't see it mate. Murray went 11 rounds although his corner should have pulled him out earlier and Murray has no defence what so ever.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:52 pm

Burns might be a better fighter than Murray although don't think there's much in it but he's a big tough fighter with a decent punch at lightweight, Burns has yet to prove that, Rios would have his way with him, he's not a good enough boxer to overcome the physical disadvantages.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by 6oldenbhoy Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:56 pm

I think it's easier to use the Katsidis fight as a foundation rather than the Antillon fight. If Burns ploughs in swinging like Antillon did, then yes I'd imagine he gets stopped early. But I suspect he'd stay on the outside and use the jab and move. I'd expect him to make it to the mid/late rounds before Rios grinds him down.

6oldenbhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:59 pm

Katsidis is a decent fighter now but Rios is a very good one, too big a difference for me to envisage a fight between the two being similar. Burns is good but he's nothing special, there's not one part of his game that stands out.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next