The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Dew Drop Inn Virtual Rugby Pub, Bridgend

+29
Biltong
Dave.
Cari
perthshirepuma
PJHolybloke
Rava
Suspicious lurker
Hound_of_Harrow
Ozzy3213
Driver
prop_lyd
Artful_Dodger
Notch
WillyGilly
ChequeredJersey
Rory_Gallagher
Glas a du
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
Pete330v2
red_stag
rodders
PenfroPete
Gibson
MBTGOG
Thomond
Pal Joey
Mickado
Luckless Pedestrian
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
33 posters

Page 3 of 21 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 12 ... 21  Next

Go down

The Dew Drop Inn Virtual Rugby Pub, Bridgend - Page 3 Empty The Dew Drop Inn Virtual Rugby Pub, Bridgend

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Thu 19 Jul 2012, 2:47 pm

First topic message reminder :

Hello and welcome to the Dew Drop Inn, a place where you can come in for a sly beverage and discuss whatever's on your mind, or just eavesdrop on the regulars if you fancy a break from all the rugby chat.

This week the pub has set up in Bridgend, the birthplace of ex Wales and Lions centre Dr. Jack Matthews, who has sadly passed away.

The only rule in this pub is one of mutual respect for everyone in it, oh and no tampering with the pictures of Dr Jack Matthews and his Welsh centres partner Bleddyn Williams.

Ale cake cuppa tomato egg coffee mug guinness cider raspberry RedWine Bubbly

Previous Pub: https://www.606v2.com/t32320p950-the-dew-drop-inn-virtual-antananarivo-arms-madagascar

Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

The Dew Drop Inn Virtual Rugby Pub, Bridgend - Page 3 Empty Re: The Dew Drop Inn Virtual Rugby Pub, Bridgend

Post by Rory_Gallagher Thu 19 Jul 2012, 5:19 pm

I don't understand what you mean. How do they allow a person to push themselves to a higher level? What you are talking about there, is anabolic steroids, not legal supplements. In what way can protein/creatine/whatever push someone to a higher level? That makes no sense.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

The Dew Drop Inn Virtual Rugby Pub, Bridgend - Page 3 Empty Re: The Dew Drop Inn Virtual Rugby Pub, Bridgend

Post by Thomond Thu 19 Jul 2012, 5:19 pm

You would probably be alright as you are so Rory, no need for serious weight gain at least. Maybe a bit of weight training to get you back in the swing of things, nothing too much getting fit on the pitch would probably the main concern.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by MBTGOG Thu 19 Jul 2012, 5:20 pm

Rory_Gallagher wrote:
MBTGOG wrote:Rory,

What level will you be playing at and honestly, what kind of shape is that 102KG?

As high a level as I can get really. I look slightly bigger than the average person I guess, but not overly big at all. I probably don't look like 102kg but I have pretty big legs which seem to make up the majority of my size.

If you are asking if I am carrying a lot of fat, well not really. I'm not skinny, but also not fat. Just average.

Honestly, the most important question is what level you want to play at. If it is still U20 and not senior, I wouldn't worry about putting on too much more weight to be honest. If you are making a comeback, I wouldn't worry about adding any more weight but improving your fitness.

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Thu 19 Jul 2012, 5:20 pm

rodders wrote:
Rory_Gallagher wrote:
Well I am planning to make a return to rugby and play as an 8, so I will have to gain a fair bit more size I think. I am 6 foot 3, so any ideas what I should set as a realistic goal? I am already about 102kg (16 stone).

Thats actually impossible to answer rory because it comes down to body fat, bone density etc. everyone is different.

I would say train hard, eat well, rest and build funtional muscle mass gradually. Compound exercises rather than isolation. 8- 10 reps for Hypertrophy, 1-6 for strength and train in cycles starting with the former. Don't train the latter if you are tired.

Warm up and warm down and listen to your body. Don't follow anyone elses plan because everyone is different and most importantly of all......

..... don't listen to anyone off the internet because they are most likely an idiot.... Smile guinness

Especially Ulster fans from Derry. Feic off to the Randy Brandywell!

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Thu 19 Jul 2012, 5:21 pm

Oh and keep a training diary. It will help you set goals and monitor your progress.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Thu 19 Jul 2012, 5:21 pm

rodders wrote:
Thats actually impossible to answer rory because it comes down to body fat, bone density etc. everyone is different.

I would say train hard, eat well, rest and build funtional muscle mass gradually. Compound exercises rather than isolation. 8- 10 reps for Hypertrophy, 1-6 for strength and train in cycles starting with the former. Don't train the latter if you are tired.

Warm up and warm down and listen to your body. Don't follow anyone elses plan because everyone is different and most importantly of all......

..... don't listen to anyone off the internet because they are most likely an idiot.... Smile guinness

I have an Olympic Lifting program I will be following, which will likely increase size to a certain point, and then I will probably decide whether or not to focus on hypertrophy training or just continuing to get more powerful/strong.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Thu 19 Jul 2012, 5:22 pm

Rory_Gallagher wrote:I don't understand what you mean. How do they allow a person to push themselves to a higher level? What you are talking about there, is anabolic steroids, not legal supplements. In what way can protein/creatine/whatever push someone to a higher level? That makes no sense.

What is the purpose of taking creatine?
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by MBTGOG Thu 19 Jul 2012, 5:22 pm

Rory_Gallagher wrote:I don't understand what you mean. How do they allow a person to push themselves to a higher level? What you are talking about there, is anabolic steroids, not legal supplements. In what way can protein/creatine/whatever push someone to a higher level? That makes no sense.

Because your body does not create that amount of creatine for a reason, unless you have a deficiency. Your body in general knows how much you need for your size but adding more takes it past what your body is normally capable of especially at a young age when the body is still growing.

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Thu 19 Jul 2012, 5:23 pm

It helps retain water, doesn't it? It gives you more energy as it is part of the Glycoltic energy cycle. I don't really like the whole idea of supplements anyway, but that's my own take.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by MBTGOG Thu 19 Jul 2012, 5:26 pm

Rory,

This is not me saying this but from doctors who don't deal in the myths going around but actually understand the issues and don't have vested interests apart from wanting to make sure people stay healthy.

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Thu 19 Jul 2012, 5:27 pm

red_stag wrote:

What is the purpose of taking creatine?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creatine

There is a section about its use as a supplement, that will probably explain better than I would.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Thu 19 Jul 2012, 5:29 pm

This is not me saying this but from doctors who don't deal in the myths going around but actually understand the issues and don't have vested interests apart from wanting to make sure people stay healthy.

I'm guessing they are the same doctors who would tell you that lifting heavy weights is bad for you?

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Thu 19 Jul 2012, 5:30 pm

It can be if you go about it the wrong way, but it is usually no harm. These doctors are involved in trainign Olympic athletes Roar.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by MBTGOG Thu 19 Jul 2012, 5:31 pm

Rory,

That just says what we all agree on in that it helps people improve the amount of training that they can do.

What we are saying is that supplements can have a real danger on someone who is still growing and putting on muscle that their skeletal structure can't handle.

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by MBTGOG Thu 19 Jul 2012, 5:32 pm

Rory_Gallagher wrote:

I'm guessing they are the same doctors who would tell you that lifting heavy weights is bad for you?

Huh? Not at all.

Anyway, you never said what level you wanted to play at. If it is adult rugby, would it be junior or senior club rugby?

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Thu 19 Jul 2012, 5:35 pm

Thomond wrote:It can be if you go about it the wrong way, but it is usually no harm. These doctors are involved in trainign Olympic athletes Roar.

The olympic lifters have their own team doctors, who are professionals in that particular field. There are many doctors out there who would say that all heavy weight training is bad for your health. Of course lifting heavy weights when you don't know what you are doing is going to result in injury, but so is driving a car when you don't have a license. These sorts of arguments are unfounded.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Thu 19 Jul 2012, 5:39 pm

It would most likely be senior rugby, I am 20 in about a month or so. Not sure which team to join or anything though. I will be setting unrealistic goals of course, trying to get as far in rugby as I possibly can. Smile

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by MBTGOG Thu 19 Jul 2012, 5:39 pm

Rory_Gallagher wrote:
Thomond wrote:It can be if you go about it the wrong way, but it is usually no harm. These doctors are involved in trainign Olympic athletes Roar.

The olympic lifters have their own team doctors, who are professionals in that particular field. There are many doctors out there who would say that all heavy weight training is bad for your health. Of course lifting heavy weights when you don't know what you are doing is going to result in injury, but so is driving a car when you don't have a license. These sorts of arguments are unfounded.

Yeah but no one is talking about the ethics behind heavy weights here Rory.

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by MBTGOG Thu 19 Jul 2012, 5:42 pm

Rory_Gallagher wrote:It would most likely be senior rugby, I am 20 in about a month or so. Not sure which team to join or anything though. I will be setting unrealistic goals of course, trying to get as far in rugby as I possibly can. Smile

Well it is obviously different in every case but my brother is 21 and plays Div 2A AIL in the back row on either flank and he thought for that position, around 96KG was enough. He's 6'1. He's a naturally strong guy though and saw fitness as being the most important aspect to improve on. He did end up being player of the season for his new club in his first season there so that worked but obviously each person is different.

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Thu 19 Jul 2012, 5:48 pm

Yeah, it basically depends on the individual Rory, I played at a lower level but I was lucky to make 90kg, but speed was my main thing. You can get away with being light if you are smart enough. Fitness should be your goal, I would suggest interval sprinting, like jog,sprint,jog. Or getting up off the floor and then going. Mimics an actual rugby match where you are on the floor about every minute. (if you're not you're not doing your job or your a back; Wink )

So bascially you will have learned nothing out of this encounter.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by MBTGOG Thu 19 Jul 2012, 5:49 pm

Ah well after all this talk of staying fit, I'm off to make caramel squares.

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Thu 19 Jul 2012, 5:50 pm

Nothing wrong with some good munch Munsty.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Thu 19 Jul 2012, 5:51 pm

I am naturally a much quicker person than I am strong, I think. Speed has never been an issue for me, and when I played rugby I was faster than most of the players in our back line. However, I was very skinny at 16/17, and only really started naturally bulking up after I was 18. I haven't lost much speed, if any, despite this. I think I can afford to put on a bit more muscle, because like I said I honestly don't look like I am 102kg. All the size is in my legs, which people don't notice. Laugh

I'm guessing your bro has a pretty muscular build like?

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Thu 19 Jul 2012, 5:52 pm

Cheers for the advice though guys, I really do appreciate it. Hug

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Thu 19 Jul 2012, 5:54 pm

Right, so as some might have heard, Tom Rees is coming to my Med School to study from October this year (hopefully to play some rugby too). The brother of one of my housemates has a 21st coming up and she wants to get him a great present. I'd like to help out, and he is a massive Wasps fan and rugby player. How acceptable is it to ask Rees if he'd sign a Wasps replica shirt as a present? Do you think that's ok to approach him with (obviously not straight away...)?
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu 19 Jul 2012, 5:56 pm

I doubt he'd mind at all, Chequered.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Thu 19 Jul 2012, 5:58 pm

Oh, Rory, some of the rugby guys here take Creatine, and they say it helps add explosiveness and bulk (though not actual muscle strength mind), but I think it's more useful for sports like American Football. In rugby, I'd stick to protein and a well-designed weights and running training schedule. I'm in a mess because I'm training for a marathon which is the opposite of what I should be for my sports of rugby and rowing, and I don't know whether to focus on rugby or rowing next year.
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Thu 19 Jul 2012, 6:00 pm

I'd say he would be pretty cool with it, most rugby players and sport stars are alright with it. If it's a Black Wasps jersey just remember to get a different coloured marker!

Welcome CJ, I disagree on the whole creatine thing, but I'm like Mbtgog a bit. I think American footballers, are fans of other types of workouts , they lift heavy weights but for low reps. I really like it as a sport, very good to watch. You don't notice the breaks too much at the stadium.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Thu 19 Jul 2012, 6:00 pm

Thanks LP. Don't want to push him, if he's come to medicine to get away from what could have been in rugby
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Thu 19 Jul 2012, 6:02 pm

Thomond wrote:I'd say he would be pretty cool with it, most rugby players and sport stars are alright with it. If it's a Black Wasps jersey just remember to get a different coloured marker!

Welcome CJ, I disagree on the whole creatine thing, but I'm like Mbtgog a bit. I think American footballers, are fans of other types of workouts , they lift heavy weights but for low reps. I really like it as a sport, very good to watch. You don't notice the breaks too much at the stadium.

Not a big fan of NFL just because I get so frustrated with some of the "ways" of the game, but College Football is fascinating! It'd be the Black and Gold striped old one probably looking at prices, so the pen'd be on the gold
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Thu 19 Jul 2012, 6:07 pm

What do you mean by the "ways" just some of the rules or what?
Don't have a team in college ball but have seen some games, incredibly high scroing as a lot of defences are awful. Still fun to watch if you're bored.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Thu 19 Jul 2012, 6:11 pm

It frustrates me that the lateral is under used. It frustrates me that the lack of competition for possession (or breakdown) allows the QB kneel to exist as a play.
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Thu 19 Jul 2012, 6:12 pm

and the rules frustrate me much in the same way that League does, but even more so because possession is even more protected
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Thu 19 Jul 2012, 6:14 pm

I think it's partially because a lateral can have dire consequences. College ball seems a bit too loose. Scoring seems ridiculously high. I think posession is important though. Ball secuirty is key, if there are too many turnovers it's a bit riduculous.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Thu 19 Jul 2012, 6:17 pm

I like turnovers. Doesn't mean the sport is bad, just means it's not my favourite
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 19 Jul 2012, 6:21 pm

I'm 6"5 and around 112kg. I'd say I'm around the right dap for my height, but I'm pretty lazy and could easily get a bit heavier if I trained and ate properly.

Just read a status off a friend saying it is five years to the day that three RAF Regt guys were killed in Basra by a rocket that landed in our camp. I'll never forget seeing that. Mad to think it's five years since that day and since I was there. Time goes by so fast. Next month I've been in 11 years too. Never planned for it, but funny how life turns out.

Building up for the gym, as I should really be rugby training tonight, but can't get home. Need to start doing a lot more running on top of the weights. Well, basically I need to do a lot more everything full stop. Can't rely on youthfulness and metabolism anymore Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Thu 19 Jul 2012, 6:24 pm

Evening all.

Last night I thought I'd done well, we had 9 players due to turn up for my netball match tonight (you only need 7). 1 knee injury, one family emergency and 1 work colleague off-sick and needing cover later, and I'm going to be trying to pick up a fill-in from the match before ours.

Mutter mutter
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by MBTGOG Thu 19 Jul 2012, 6:41 pm

Rev,

Have you been following the NRL? Ben Barba is so exciting to watch.

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Thu 19 Jul 2012, 6:52 pm

Thomond wrote:
Especially Ulster fans from Derry. Feic off to the Randy Brandywell!

Laugh guinness

Rory Revs yer man for the weights advice! OK .... Run
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 19 Jul 2012, 6:58 pm

MBTGOG wrote:Rev,

Have you been following the NRL? Ben Barba is so exciting to watch.

Not at all really. Was hard enough watching State of Origin if I got home on a weekend. I keep meaning to sky plus NRL fulltime, but it would probably clash with the boss' recordings, or I'd have something else to watch.

Back to top Go down

Post by WillyGilly Thu 19 Jul 2012, 7:35 pm

Mark Ronson
WillyGilly
WillyGilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Thu 19 Jul 2012, 8:03 pm

Goys, hey ye VO2 Max creatine, supplements and all that sheet... goys.

On Now.
Panorama are doing an expose on all the stuff ye lot have been talkin about today.

They go into it deeply. Scientifically like.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Thu 19 Jul 2012, 8:10 pm

So Sports drinks are all a load of tosh. Just drink water. And eat jam sandwiches.

Marketing eh?

Last edited by Gibson on Thu 19 Jul 2012, 8:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Thu 19 Jul 2012, 8:13 pm

Watching it now Gibson - thanks! OK

And yeah I only drink water. Not a fan of sports' drinks.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Thu 19 Jul 2012, 8:19 pm

Coca-Cola. At it again. Basterds!
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Thu 19 Jul 2012, 8:31 pm

Does anyone in here wear contact lenses?

Just on Day 2 of my free trial- so, so, so good! Life changing!
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Thu 19 Jul 2012, 8:37 pm

Notch wrote:Does anyone in here wear contact lenses?

Yep, been on easy vision soft lenses for quite some time. They are brilliant but whatever you do, do not fall asleep with them in. You wake up with really painful and sticky eyes and have to pull them away from your eye. Although falling asleep with them in once or twice won't do you any real harm just don't make a habit of it. Longer term if you keep falling asleep with them in you can seriously damage your eyes - apparently through damaging the cornea and getting eye ulcers. They are brilliant but in the long run I want laser eye surgery, when I can afford it which hopefully will be sooner rather than later as the better your vision the cheaper the surgery is.

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Thu 19 Jul 2012, 8:41 pm

Notch wrote:Does anyone in here wear contact lenses?

I tried em once years ago Notch. For an hour. Couldnt handle em.

Great that they work for you. My bro has worn them for 20 years. He swears by them and he is -6 and -8. Im only -2.75 and -3.

Enjoy!

I really want to get that Laser treatment. I got checked for it last year. Prime candidate. Even for an aulfella. Ive broken and lost, so many pairs of expensive prescription glasses/sunglasses, its cost me 1000.'s. I hate glasses. So I just get the cheapest ones now.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Thu 19 Jul 2012, 8:44 pm

Now they are saying sports-shoes that mimic bare-foot are best. Man. Marketing has fooled so many people all of the time.

Nike, Puma. Addidas etc... must be hating this program. They make billions on that sheet.

Just buy cheap ones that feel good.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Thu 19 Jul 2012, 8:49 pm

Supplements now Rory. Woooooooo.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 21 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 12 ... 21  Next