The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

That really grinds my gears thread

+27
Mind the windows Tino.
dummy_half
superflyweight
Duty281
alfie
Tattie Scones RRN
guildfordbat
lostinwales
Dolphin Ziggler
Soul Requiem
Afro
Breadvan
Pr4wn
Samo
MrInvisible
No name Bertie
JDizzle
Pal Joey
compelling and rich
Galted
Derbymanc
SecretFly
rIck_dAgless
TRUSSMAN66
navyblueshorts
Luckless Pedestrian
JuliusHMarx
31 posters

Page 2 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

That really grinds my gears thread - Page 2 Empty That really grinds my gears thread

Post by JuliusHMarx Thu 28 Mar 2019, 9:48 am

First topic message reminder :

People who post meaningless posts just to steal the thread split for the Morning Tea Society.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

That really grinds my gears thread - Page 2 Empty Re: That really grinds my gears thread

Post by Samo Fri 30 Aug 2019, 5:19 pm

navyblueshorts wrote:People who use their mobile/smart phone as if it's a Star Trek communicator when conducting a phone call with the person they're speaking to via speakerphone.

**** off! I'm not even interested in the banalities of your half of the conversation, let alone the nonsense your friend/partner/work colleague is subjecting the rest of us to.
**** off (to the power of 10) as well, if they're conducting a FaceTime/Skype/other video conversation.

This. Some people seem incapable of moving their phone the extra six inches to the side of their head so I only have to hear one half of their banal conversation.

Samo

Back to top Go down

That really grinds my gears thread - Page 2 Empty Re: That really grinds my gears thread

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Fri 30 Aug 2019, 5:50 pm

If I'm talking to someone on the phone, I don't really want other people to hear what I'm saying, never mind what the person on the other end of the phone is saying.

I think you can divide people equally well on whether they move to avoid a TV camera crew filming in the street, or move towards it to try and get in the shot.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Fri 30 Aug 2019, 6:22 pm

navyblueshorts wrote:People who use their mobile/smart phone as if it's a Star Trek communicator when conducting a phone call with the person they're speaking to via speakerphone.

Indeed. It is most illogical.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Sat 31 Aug 2019, 10:12 pm

JuliusHMarx wrote:

Indeed. It is most illogical.
OK
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Mon 02 Sep 2019, 11:14 am

The next British person I hear say "power outage" is going to die...
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon 02 Sep 2019, 11:26 am

Yes, let's bring a degree of normalcy back to the King's English.

Funny you should mention that as I was just on my way in to put Disaster Press Conferences on the List.

Not so much of a problem with official 'First Responders' (another title I hate) talking to the public.  It's the choreography that I hate.  You have one guy as spokesperson, who takes all the questions...but virtually all heads of all damn departments involved have to try to get their heads on camera behind him..... and they squeeze and squeeze and squeeze to make sure their name tag and their cap and their medals get on the podium too.  Comical crap.

It has been long an exercise in self preening in America but bit by bit, the same antics are coming in thus side of the Atlantic too.  All we need is the one guy.  It's a disaster.  The rest of you hop it back to your jobs, you're probably needed.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Mon 02 Sep 2019, 11:32 am

navyblueshorts wrote:The next British person I hear say "power outage" is going to die...

It's a power outrage.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon 02 Sep 2019, 11:35 am

Anyone else take an exceedingly dim view of the new Nationwide adverts with bad stand-up comedy on them?

The ads with bad poetry on them were bad enough!

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Mon 02 Sep 2019, 11:41 am

navyblueshorts wrote:The next British person I hear say "power outage" is going to die...

No joke, here in the Philippines even blackouts are referred to as "brownouts".

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Mon 02 Sep 2019, 11:55 am

SecretFly wrote:Yes, let's bring a degree of normalcy back to the King's English.

Funny you should mention that as I was just on my way in to put Disaster Press Conferences on the List.

Not so much of a problem with official 'First Responders' (another title I hate) talking to the public.  It's the choreography that I hate.  You have one guy as spokesperson, who takes all the questions...but virtually all heads of all damn departments involved have to try to get their heads on camera behind him..... and they squeeze and squeeze and squeeze to make sure their name tag and their cap and their medals get on the podium too.  Comical crap.

It has been long an exercise in self preening in America but bit by bit, the same antics are coming in thus side of the Atlantic too.  All we need is the one guy.  It's a disaster.  The rest of you hop it back to your jobs, you're probably needed.
Decent shout on those types of conferences, but picard Argh!!! Do you mean 'normality'? I assume you've deliberately done this...
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon 02 Sep 2019, 12:13 pm

Me?..... purposefully set out to make people's teeth grind?   Whistle angel

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Breadvan Thu 31 Oct 2019, 11:29 am

Extinction rebellion.
Breadvan
Breadvan

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 31 Oct 2019, 3:59 pm

Normalcy... Word was credited to Warren Harding...President before Coolidge and generally regarded as the thickest President in history..(Grant and Fillmore for company)

Tea Pot dome scandal happened on his watch...and when asked if he had any scandals in the cupboard on standing for the nomination asked for 24 hours to think about..

Swapped the thickest President for the quietest in Coolidge.

When told Coolidge was dead some wag remarked "How can they tell ???"

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by rIck_dAgless Tue 12 Nov 2019, 7:52 am

Grown adults whining as if they have been forced out of their ancestral homes, because they have to move desks at work.

rIck_dAgless
rik
rik

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Thu 21 Nov 2019, 9:28 am

1. Cold Play for, well, being Cold Play.

2. Lewis Hamilton:

""The thing is I never got into it for money," the Mercedes driver says." (https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/50494619)

Sod off. You just happened to move to Switzerland by accident then, eh?

https://www.prospectmagazine.co.uk/politics/if-lewis-hamilton-wants-to-strike-a-patriotic-pose-he-should-look-at-where-he-pays-his-tax
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu 21 Nov 2019, 9:34 am

navyblueshorts wrote:1. Cold Play for, well, being Cold Play.

2. Lewis Hamilton:

""The thing is I never got into it for money," the Mercedes driver says." (https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/50494619)

Sod off. You just happened to move to Switzerland by accident then, eh?

https://www.prospectmagazine.co.uk/politics/if-lewis-hamilton-wants-to-strike-a-patriotic-pose-he-should-look-at-where-he-pays-his-tax

laughing

I like those two..... I mean the choices!

Have heard Hamilton mentioned before on these pages, if memory serves me right.  But no harm in bringing him up again.

Coldplay.... when it came out, I liked Yellow.  Was that their first big mark on the scene?  Since that one song..... nah.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by rIck_dAgless Fri 22 Nov 2019, 8:49 am

People who can't work out how to use Dyson hand dryers...

rIck_dAgless
rik
rik

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Fri 22 Nov 2019, 11:37 am

People that honestly believe that smearing vitamins on your hair has any positive effect at all.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Fri 22 Nov 2019, 12:16 pm

When I'm drying my hair with a Dyson hand dryer and it blows away all the vitamins I've smeared on.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri 22 Nov 2019, 12:21 pm

Galted wrote:When I'm drying my hair with a Dyson hand dryer and it blows away all the vitamins I've smeared on.

laughing

The two of them are in cahoots!

You'd be better off if you couldn't work out how to use it.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Fri 22 Nov 2019, 1:53 pm

SecretFly wrote:
Galted wrote:When I'm drying my hair with a Dyson hand dryer and it blows away all the vitamins I've smeared on.

laughing

The two of them are in cahoots!  

No - one's in London, the other's up north.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Afro Fri 22 Nov 2019, 2:05 pm

When I'm drying my bits in a Dyson hand dryer and I end up with vitamins all over them because of the last person to use it
Afro
Afro

Back to top Go down

Post by rIck_dAgless Fri 22 Nov 2019, 2:17 pm

You see this is why the improper use of a Dyson hand drier grinds my gears.

I am sick to death of drying my hands, getting vitamins on them and my hands being vibrant and silky smooth, I'm from the North for the sake of f**k, do you know the issues this causes when I order a chips and gravy?

rIck_dAgless
rik
rik

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Fri 22 Nov 2019, 2:41 pm

rick_dagless wrote:You see this is why the improper use of a Dyson hand drier grinds my gears.

I am sick to death of drying my hands, getting vitamins on them and my hands being vibrant and silky smooth, I'm from the North for the sake of f**k, do you know the issues this causes when I order a chips and gravy?

And when you eat them off some woman's back.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 25 Nov 2019, 11:47 am

Invited to play Golf with a number of colleagues this weekend to which my stock answer is always that I see enough of them as it is.....

The stock reply is...."The way you play you never see much of us anyway"... Cool

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 06 Jan 2020, 1:44 pm

The Bet 365 founder paying herself a £265 million bonus.......

Put the obscene amount of self gratification to one side....The thought of someone making so much at the expense of families up and down the Country is heart wrenching in itself...Billions wasted every year trying to beat a rigged system....Kids hurting because of Mummy or Daddy's gambling addiction..

"Well its their fault for gambling".....It isn't always the 'Gambler' that gets hurt most though...

Why I believe in a big State and hate any kind of Libertarianism....People can't always help themselves..

Profiting on misery is an indictment in itself....Hope money doesn't buy her happiness.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Tue 07 Jan 2020, 8:47 am

Selfish so-and-sos who, when there's only standing room on a tram/bus/etc, stand their oblivious to the space the rucksack on there back is taking up and the chaos it causes behind them every time they move around.

Last edited by navyblueshorts on Tue 07 Jan 2020, 9:52 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Their? There? Grr....)
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Tue 07 Jan 2020, 8:55 am

navyblueshorts wrote:Selfish so-and-sos who, when there's only standing room on a tram/bus/etc, stand their oblivious to the space the rucksack on their back is taking up and the chaos it causes behind them every time they move around.

Especially if you wear a large sombrero on the bus. Like I do.

Hate it when someone doesn't properly put the lid back on a jar in the fridge... and you're in a hurry the next day and decide to grab some of that.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Tue 07 Jan 2020, 9:52 am

Pal Joey wrote:
navyblueshorts wrote:Selfish so-and-sos who, when there's only standing room on a tram/bus/etc, stand there oblivious to the space the rucksack on their back is taking up and the chaos it causes behind them every time they move around.

Especially if you wear a large sombrero on the bus. Like I do.

Hate it when someone doesn't properly put the lid back on a jar in the fridge... and you're in a hurry the next day and decide to grab some of that.
Laugh One of my wife's few failings that. The number of times I've dropped, or nearly dropped, a jar because she hasn't put the lid on properly. Then she makes it worse by saying I shouldn't pick a jar up by its lid!
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Thu 09 Jan 2020, 9:01 am

Laugh I always pick up jars by the lid too.

Not really a "grind my gears" but I guess it could be classified as odd behaviour / taking things a little too far.

Had some airbnb guests about 6 months ago. I should have read between the lines when I saw that they were from Salt Lake City. Turns out the old man is a well known priest back home. Asked me if I had "an altar" lying around so he could use. Told him "no I don't... just the furniture that's here"

Had a feeling they were running some sort of religious service in the next room which didn't worry me in the slightest. One day the door was left ajar (whilst they were visiting St Mary's Cathedral for the umpteenth time in a few days) and I could see through the gap that the furniture had been rearranged and some makeshift altar had been set up on my antique drinks cabinet (well that's what I use it for) complete with a massive cross on the wall. Lots of candles too! It was like Rouen Cathedral in there. Quite impressive really. Wink

When they left I could see that he had driven a few small nails into my sitting room wall... obviously to hold up the large cross. Not any huge damage to the wall (to be fair) but I still think it was a little out of order - not to mention immoral in the broader general meaning of the word.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu 09 Jan 2020, 9:18 am

Salt Lake City did ya say?
Americans did ya say?
Bible Thumpers did ya say?

Hmmmm.... think yourself lucky that there man'a'God didn't drill the holes with a few 44cal slugs! I hear them folks do an awful lot of DIY with any weapons lying about in the garden shed.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Thu 09 Jan 2020, 9:33 am

You have to admire their improvisation skills. I now have a much better understanding of what DIY really means. And I thought I... Smile

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Thu 09 Jan 2020, 11:55 am

A couple(ish) more:

1. The Government (and I don't specifically mean the current or recent Tory one; more 'The Government' in general). Why? Well, too many reasons to detail, but for the purposes of this post, this:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51028507

**** off you morons! You introduce legislation to allow all sorts of gambling, ignoring advice about likely problems re. addiction and financial ruin etc, and then tell the FA that they shouldn't allow a betting company to be a sponsor? Typical ****ing moron politicians bleating, making holier-than-thou moral judgements of others and expecting others to sort out a mess that's directly of their own making.

2. The 'Sussexes'. Just **** off to America/Africa/wherever, stop drawing on tax payers money, get the **** off social media, stop posting pictures of your damned child if the media bothers you so much, don't even think about trading on your former royal connections for your BS 'next chapter', get the **** out of Frogmore Cottage (perhaps also consider paying back the renovation costs), don't dare make a single comment on the climate if you're going to do as stated and be commuting back and forth between America and the U.K. I'd actually thought that 'Harry' was quite a good bloke (doing some proper service in the Army, Invictus etc), but it appears he's a prat. Megan Markle didn't anticipate what it would have been like marrying into the royals? Seriously? She found motherhood tough? With all that money, help and support? **** off. Just **** off.

There; that feels better.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu 09 Jan 2020, 1:54 pm

A-Grade rant!  Lovely stuff.  Agree with pretty much all of it.

On Megan.................... 'the Palace'/ top admin and advisors attached to the massive National company called the Royal Family -really didn't see that one coming?  
Really?  
Nobody with supposed brains in that retinue of media experts put the major warning signs up about an American actress 'perhaps' getting pretty damned bored with fork and knife conventions and the very controlled existence of being a British Royal?  Nobody fully warned Megan that she would indeed get totally bored with playing a fairytale Princess 24 hours a day?  
That's the bit that surprises me....that so many people seem surprised that an actress's hankering for playing 'other roles' would quickly return to her once the fairytale Disney wedding and novelty of dining with the Queen wore off.  She's now bored with the 'role' of mother too?

But she's sealed the deal anyway.  Back to the normal Hollywood Starlet life for her (normal?) but with the kid to link her to Royalty for the rest of her life.  Deal sealed. Wink
She's the smart one.  The Royals though - with a thousand years or so of history - still stumble and bumble their way through the same mistakes, decade after decade after century after century.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Thu 09 Jan 2020, 2:17 pm

I don't really see what Harry and Meghan have done wrong tbh. They don't like the institution, so they're leaving it. Fair play to them.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Thu 09 Jan 2020, 2:26 pm

Pr4wn wrote:I don't really see what Harry and Meghan have done wrong tbh. They don't like the institution, so they're leaving it. Fair play to them.
That's absolutely fine, but can they please just **** the Hell off then, not trade on that 'Institution', at all, going forward and disappear from any media presence from hereon in. I don't expect to hear about or from them ever again.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Thu 09 Jan 2020, 2:48 pm

navyblueshorts wrote:
Pr4wn wrote:I don't really see what Harry and Meghan have done wrong tbh. They don't like the institution, so they're leaving it. Fair play to them.
That's absolutely fine, but can they please just **** the Hell off then, not trade on that 'Institution', at all, going forward and disappear from any media presence from hereon in. I don't expect to hear about or from them ever again.

You don't think you're maybe a little too invested in this? Whistle

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 09 Jan 2020, 5:00 pm

Good luck to Harry and Meghan....The crap this Woman takes from the Press for being a Woman of Color is truly despicable...

That is what it is.....Racism and the fact she is beautiful and classy.

Bet Harry's Dad is proud of him....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Thu 09 Jan 2020, 5:03 pm

Pr4wn wrote:
navyblueshorts wrote:

You don't think you're maybe a little too invested in this? Whistle
Laugh Possibly! In my defence, it is the 'really grinds your gears' thread though.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Thu 09 Jan 2020, 5:23 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Good luck to Harry and Meghan....The crap this Woman takes from the Press for being a Woman of Color is truly despicable...

Rolling Eyes
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 09 Jan 2020, 6:32 pm

navyblueshorts wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Good luck to Harry and Meghan....The crap this Woman takes from the Press for being a Woman of Color is truly despicable...

Rolling Eyes

Looking at your previous contributions..

Probably best for you to stick to posting emoticons..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Thu 09 Jan 2020, 9:42 pm

Ah the racism card, how predictable. I see neither class nor beauty.

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 10 Jan 2020, 12:18 am

Interesting response fron the poster that chucked Anti Semitism for months at Corbyn and couldn't find a single case to back it up despite being asked several times..

Good night.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Fri 10 Jan 2020, 3:23 am

Corbyn was.

The British press are racist too.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Fri 10 Jan 2020, 2:24 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
navyblueshorts wrote:

Rolling Eyes

Typical. No reasoned response and spit the dummy out.

To be fair, instead of the Rolling Eyes, I should have said you were talking baloney and appear to always reduce everything to a racist, sexist, disability discrimination etc etc reason when you have zero evidence. Just your opinion, which is fine, but it's absurdly simplistic and far too commonplace these days. Still, got to get your 'Virtue Signalling' Scout badge, eh?
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri 10 Jan 2020, 2:55 pm

What really grinds my gears is always getting this thread mixed up with the Who Gets On My Wick thread.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 10 Jan 2020, 3:03 pm

navyblueshorts wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
navyblueshorts wrote:

Rolling Eyes

To be fair, instead of the Rolling Eyes, I should have said you were talking baloney and appear to always reduce everything to a racist, sexist, disability discrimination etc etc reason when you have zero evidence. Just your opinion, which is fine, but it's absurdly simplistic and far too commonplace these days. Still, got to get your 'Virtue Signalling' Scout badge, eh?

I refer you to my last answer..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Fri 10 Jan 2020, 3:08 pm

navyblueshorts wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
navyblueshorts wrote:

Rolling Eyes

So very true.

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 10 Jan 2020, 3:27 pm

Soul Requiem wrote:
navyblueshorts wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
navyblueshorts wrote:

Rolling Eyes

So very true.

Enjoy the weekend... thumbsup

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Fri 10 Jan 2020, 3:58 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
navyblueshorts wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
navyblueshorts wrote:

Rolling Eyes

I refer you to my last answer..
Q.E.D.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next