The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

That really grinds my gears thread

+27
Mind the windows Tino.
dummy_half
superflyweight
Duty281
alfie
Tattie Scones RRN
guildfordbat
lostinwales
Dolphin Ziggler
Soul Requiem
Afro
Breadvan
Pr4wn
Samo
MrInvisible
No name Bertie
JDizzle
Pal Joey
compelling and rich
Galted
Derbymanc
SecretFly
rIck_dAgless
TRUSSMAN66
navyblueshorts
Luckless Pedestrian
JuliusHMarx
31 posters

Page 7 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Go down

That really grinds my gears thread - Page 7 Empty That really grinds my gears thread

Post by JuliusHMarx Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:48 pm

First topic message reminder :

People who post meaningless posts just to steal the thread split for the Morning Tea Society.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

That really grinds my gears thread - Page 7 Empty Re: That really grinds my gears thread

Post by the-goon2 Thu Jun 29, 2023 2:20 am

superflyweight wrote:

As noted by Samo above, there's a balanced and nuanced discussion to be had about Trans issues, but too often they descend into hysteria and bigotry coming from both sides.   Articles like this are a huge part of the problem and are intended only to fire up people on both sides of the debate.  

Where have I engaged in bigotry? All I have done is put something that happened in the world in your face.

Why would they chant "we are coming for your kids"? Bit creepy eh?

the-goon2

Back to top Go down

That really grinds my gears thread - Page 7 Empty Re: That really grinds my gears thread

Post by superflyweight Thu Jun 29, 2023 7:07 pm

the-goon2 wrote:
superflyweight wrote:

As noted by Samo above, there's a balanced and nuanced discussion to be had about Trans issues, but too often they descend into hysteria and bigotry coming from both sides.   Articles like this are a huge part of the problem and are intended only to fire up people on both sides of the debate.  

Where have I engaged in bigotry? All I have done is put something that happened in the world in your face.

I wasn't accusing you of bigotry in this instance.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu Jun 29, 2023 8:44 pm

the-goon2 wrote:
superflyweight wrote:

Let's be honest.....You don't like Trans people it's obvious in your offerings.....Me.... I'm just a live and let live kind of guy....These bigots ask the standard question...Would I like it if a Woman dressed as a Man came in to the publc toilet if I was in there ??.....Fine she/he can watch me pee if they want....I don't care... angel

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by the-goon2 Fri Jun 30, 2023 3:15 am

Absolutely not. I feel really bad for those that are suffering from dysphoria. They have been lied to by ideologues, exploited by the medical industry into becoming patients for life (making them a lot of money) and failed by their parents who stop them from making life ruining decisions.

They are the victims in all this.

I don't care for the creeps who use this for their sexual kinks. And I really don't care for those who push this on kids.

the-goon2

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Sat Jul 01, 2023 2:30 am

Galted wrote:To be fair to Emily, that does sound like woman's logic.
Laugh
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Thu Jul 20, 2023 3:36 am

Mangling of language and/or inventing new 'words' when existing words already do the job:

1) Use of the word, 'key', as in "Whether inflation continues to rise will be key." No! Nothing is 'key'. How about 'essential'? Maybe 'critical'?

2) Use of the made up word 'inputted', as in "I've inputted the data so that you don't have to do it.". No!! Nothing is 'inputted'. Ever. Try 'entered' instead.

3) Use of the word 'amends', as in "You'll need to get back to me before tomorrow, if we're going to have time to make the necessary amends." No!!! It's 'amendments', you clown. Or maybe 'alterations'. He/she 'amends' something; no-one does any 'amends'.

I'm sure there are more of this sort of thing, but I've had all three today and had to let some steam go...

Last edited by navyblueshorts on Fri Jul 21, 2023 12:21 am; edited 1 time in total
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Thu Jul 20, 2023 3:49 am

navyblueshorts wrote:Mangling of language and/or inventing new 'words' when existing words already do the job:

1) Use of the word, 'key', as in "Whether inflation continues to rise will be key." No! Nothing is 'key'. How about 'essential'? Maybe 'critical'?

2) Use of the made up word 'inputted', as in "I've inputted the data so that you don't have to do it.". No!! Nothing is 'inputted'. Ever. Try 'entered' instead.

3) Used of the word 'amends', as in "You'll need to get back to me before tomorrow, if we're going to have time to make the necessary amends." No!!! It's 'amendments', you clown. Or maybe 'alterations'. He/she 'amends' something; no-one does any 'amends'.

I'm sure there are more of this sort of thing, but I've had all three today and had to let some steam go...

Thanking you.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

navyblueshorts likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Thu Jul 20, 2023 3:49 am

navyblueshorts wrote:Mangling of language and/or inventing new 'words' when existing words already do the job:

3) Used of the word 'amends', as in "You'll need to get back to me before tomorrow, if we're going to have time to make the necessary amends." No!!! It's 'amendments', you clown. Or maybe 'alterations'. He/she 'amends' something; no-one does any 'amends'.

Thanking you.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Thu Jul 20, 2023 4:52 am

One I'm getting a lot at work recently, and I'm not sure if this is just a North American thing, is the increasing use of the word "cadence" in place of the word "meeting".

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Thu Jul 20, 2023 7:15 am

Haven't heard no 3 used yet but it's already annoyed me to the point that, if/when I do, I will very likely stab the c*nt who says it in the face.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Thu Jul 20, 2023 7:18 am

Pr4wn wrote:One I'm getting a lot at work recently, and I'm not sure if this is just a North American thing, is the increasing use of the word "cadence" in place of the word "meeting".

Jesus, reading things like this on this thread really grinds my gears.  Maybe gun ownership for nutters in the US should be encouraged if it helps to eliminate similar bastardising of the language.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Thu Jul 20, 2023 7:32 pm

Press and politicians constantly use the word 'refute' when what they mean is 'deny'. Refute means to disprove so you can't refute an allegation unless you've got some evidence that disproves it.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Thu Jul 20, 2023 9:25 pm

Pr4wn wrote:One I'm getting a lot at work recently, and I'm not sure if this is just a North American thing, is the increasing use of the word "cadence" in place of the word "meeting".
Erm
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu Jul 20, 2023 10:05 pm

superflyweight wrote:Press and politicians constantly use the word 'refute' when what they mean is 'deny'.  Refute means to disprove so you can't refute an allegation unless you've got some evidence that disproves it.  

Thank you! clap

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Sat Jan 20, 2024 3:21 am

The use of the word 'uptick' to describe an increase in some bit of data. In any situation. Whatsoever. 'Increase', for example, would work just fine, you ignorant cretins. Stop inventing words just because your own lexicon is minuscule and you're too lazy to use a dictionary or Thesaurus. It's not clever and you just sound like a nob. Grr....
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon Jan 22, 2024 9:35 pm

Having to dish out for a TV licence that is basically going towards an avalanche of reality TV...

Paying for Amateur chefs.....Antique dealers.......A plethora of Plastic faces pretending to fall in love with a camera shoved up their noses.....Police...Bailiffs and Heaven knows who pretending to be on their best behaviour while serving some unfortunate with something he isn't going to like.

Entertainment is a thing of the past.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by mountain man Wed Jan 24, 2024 7:45 pm

Cadence for a meeting? I use the word for when I'm cycling!

As for another thing that gets to me is that bloody Virgin airlines advert with the "I am what I am song". It's on all the bleedin time and is a crap song to boot.

mountain man

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Wed Jan 24, 2024 8:55 pm

These convulsion inducing adverts for 'Man Shakes' here.

In my view, they are just the most repulsive looking unfortunates ever captured on digital camera and it gets relentlessly replayed when I'm watching sport... God knows how many times an hour.

Firstly, I think they've possibly ripped off the melody from The Cars "Shake It Up" but they've butchered it into this annoyingly irritating pop tune. Drives me nuts.

The ad features this absolutely unphotogenic incredibly fat bloke in underwear... hairy and flabby torso... covered in a morass of illegible tattoos... seemingly preening himself in front of a mirror and drinking a man shake with the repetitive jingo blaring away on a continuous loop.
His gut is massive; like he's swallowed a beer keg... and the outside oily-looking skin and hair looks like it hasn't been washed for 40 years.
That's the Before bit. I almost vomited on my tablecloth.

He then loses 85 kg or whatever.

So they then have a shot of the same guy a couple of months later. The After...
His face is sort of recognisable (just)... but it's all thin and gaunt. Same with the rest of his body. He looks a bit ill as well as completely stunned. Quite scary really. It's like he's just survived some horrible ordeal in an internment camp and he's only just skin and bone now. All the tattoos have shrunk, so they're even more pointless now. He must weigh about 60kg?

I mean, I feel really sorry for the poor guy.
He had a big problem and he achieved a miraculous weight loss. But it's still fairly shocking to see the Before and After.
It's almost pure mental torture if you can sit through it. Thank God I'm not in the market for these sort of drinks.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Wed Jan 24, 2024 9:19 pm

mountain man wrote:...As for another thing that gets to me is that bloody Virgin airlines advert with the "I am what I am song". It's on all the bleedin time and is a crap song to boot.
God, yes! What a bloody awful, nauseating advert.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Wed Feb 07, 2024 11:43 pm

KCIII's cancer diagnosis! **** off now. OK; he's the Head of State, but enough now with the stupid wall-to-wall coverage.

PoW is doing KC's duties because KCIII is now 'resting' following his 'cancer news'??? Bless.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu Feb 08, 2024 2:37 am

navyblueshorts wrote:KCIII's cancer diagnosis! **** off now. OK; he's the Head of State, but enough now with the stupid wall-to-wall coverage.

PoW is doing KC's duties because KCIII is now 'resting' following his 'cancer news'??? Bless.

Not a Royalist hey ???.......In fairness he is a better offering for HoS than Biden or Trump in the land of the free.

I'd have more time for him though if he started lopping heads off and banishing Politicians to the Tower of London.....Henry the 8th was an alpha male...Time team-GB had a new one.. Wink

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Thu Feb 08, 2024 3:27 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
navyblueshorts wrote:KCIII's cancer diagnosis! **** off now. OK; he's the Head of State, but enough now with the stupid wall-to-wall coverage.

Not a Royalist hey ???.......In fairness he is a better offering for HoS than Biden or Trump in the land of the free.

I'd have more time for him though if he started lopping heads off and banishing Politicians to the Tower of London.....Henry the 8th was an alpha male...Time team-GB had a new one.. Wink
I'm OK w/ the main Royals (the US exile excepted); God knows I don't want more elections for a Head of State like the U.S.(!) as it's bad enough just having to go through electing our MPs.
It's more the fawning coverage. I mean, it's not like thousands and thousands don't have to cope w/ similar every day w/o being able to 'rest' after simply receiving the 'news' etc. He's just an older man w/ a health issue at the end of the day. I would understand the coverage more (although not the nauseating style of it) if the feeling was that he had a terminal diagnosis as I get that he has a political role as HoS...
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Thu Feb 08, 2024 5:47 am

He probably has had a terminal diagnosis, because I doubt they would have told the public otherwise.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Thu Feb 08, 2024 6:16 am

Duty281 wrote:He probably has had a terminal diagnosis, because I doubt they would have told the public otherwise.

Either that or they're using it to take the attention off the nonce and Harry/Megan.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Thu Feb 08, 2024 8:34 pm

Duty281 wrote:He probably has had a terminal diagnosis, because I doubt they would have told the public otherwise.
Possible, but I'd be surprised given the undoubted regular health checkups he has. Who knows. I loathe the current absurd coverage.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Thu Feb 08, 2024 9:43 pm

navyblueshorts wrote:
Possible, but I'd be surprised given the undoubted regular health checkups he has. Who knows. I loathe the current absurd coverage.

Old man gets cancer is sad but doesn't really feel that it should be front page news.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by mountain man Sat Feb 10, 2024 1:06 am

Prince effing Harry.

He's an annoying oik I'm afraid. Yes sympathy with what happened to his mother and the press intrusion etc but boy does he milk it.
Can't say I'm Piers Morgans biggest fan but I'd rather him than Harry any day.

mountain man

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Sat Feb 10, 2024 1:53 am

mountain man wrote:Prince effing Harry.

He's an annoying oik I'm afraid. Yes sympathy with what happened to his mother and the press intrusion etc but boy does he milk it.
It's a tough one between Morgan and Henry; both people who I wouldn't p!ss on if they were on fire, I'm afraid.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue Feb 13, 2024 1:55 am

mountain man wrote:Prince effing Harry.

You'd rather have a phone hacking cretin like Morgan....

Hundreds of hacked people who probably only texted their Mum and Dad private information.........To find it in the newspapers..

Thinking they can't trust their own Parents....How bad would that be ?? Sienna Miller et al....

Harry is a pain.....But let's be real Morgan is SC*M.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Fri Mar 01, 2024 12:13 am

Sportsmen and women who, having been caught doping, come up with sorts of absurd reasons why they haven't doped. Once, just once, it would be refreshing if one of them just held their hands up and admitted it...
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Fri Mar 01, 2024 12:50 am

navyblueshorts wrote:Sportsmen and women who, having been caught doping, come up with sorts of absurd reasons why they haven't doped. Once, just once, it would be refreshing if one of them just held their hands up and admitted it...

Worth reading Tyler Hamilton's book. Although he initially denied doping, by the time he wrote the book he was very candid about his doping and why he did it.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by mountain man Sat Mar 02, 2024 4:54 am

Those utter bellends who shout in background when news is on and when a politician or reporter is speaking.
Sunak currently making statement and whther you agree with what he is saying or his politics at least let's hear it without some Muppet yelling about their particular cause in background.

mountain man

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:09 pm

Why the f*** is the fact that the non-entity, Victoria Beckham, has reached 50 years of age considered 'news'??

Well done, VB. You've made 50-y/o through sheer hard work, undoubted talent and altruism. No-one else could ever possibly have made this milestone, so your doing so being labelled as 'news' is entirely justified. Well done as well, the media, for working so hard to bring us this Earth-shattering 'news'.

No wonder this country is FUBAR...
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:31 pm

Would have put her at 60, to be honest.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:35 pm

The b*stard who said on Tw*tter that Warwick Davies wife had died falling off the bed.  I spent a good few days believing this until I discovered she was also hobbit-sized and had actually died of complications after surgery.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:38 pm

navyblueshorts wrote:Why the f*** is the fact that the non-entity, Victoria Beckham, has reached 50 years of age considered 'news'??

Well done, VB. You've made 50-y/o through sheer hard work, undoubted talent and altruism. No-one else could ever possibly have made this milestone, so your doing so being labelled as 'news' is entirely justified. Well done as well, the media, for working so hard to bring us this Earth-shattering 'news'.

You worry too much, pal. You need to spice up your life a little bit.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:49 pm

Mind the windows Tino. wrote:
navyblueshorts wrote:Why the f*** is the fact that the non-entity, Victoria Beckham, has reached 50 years of age considered 'news'??

You worry too much, pal. You need to spice up your life a little bit.

That might be a bit scary.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:11 pm

Stop

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:13 pm

The

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:25 pm

Boats

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:02 pm

Now.

Quite a terrible choice. I'd rather try my luck in Lesotho.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:06 am

Laugh
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by mountain man Wed May 01, 2024 7:42 pm

Vernon Kaye on Radio 2.

Holy crap he is an annoying git.

My days of Radio 1 are looooong gone so Radio 2 it's been for years but everything he says is irritating.

mountain man

Back to top Go down

Post by Pebbles Thu May 02, 2024 9:05 am

mountain man wrote:Vernon Kaye on Radio 2.

Holy crap he is an annoying git.

My days of Radio 1 are looooong gone so Radio 2 it's been for years but everything he says is irritating.

Couldn't agree more

Talking of annoying radio presenters, Nick Ferrari on LBC in the mornings must be up there with the biggest knobs in the media

Pebbles

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7