The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Most overrated current international player.

+61
Tattie Scones RRN
eirebilly
propdavid_london
TJ
True Raven
formerly known as Sam
uncle_nigel
Allty
ChequeredJersey
Rory_Gallagher
funnyExiledScot
Bind up
rodders
BamBam
Brad71090
nlpnlp
beshocked
Presuming Ed
BigTrevsbigmac
cakeordeath
Engine#4
Poorfour
aucklandlaurie
GunsGermsV2
Mad for Chelsea
fa0019
SecretFly
doctor_grey
R!skysports
Cyril
profitius
Geordie
Barney McGrew did it
munkian
IanBru
TightHEAD
chewed_mintie
MacKnocked-on
Gooseberry
rapidsnowman
LondonTiger
lostinwales
Majestic83
marty2086
dummy_half
RDW
reallybored
Sgt_Pooly
No 7&1/2
offload
Breadvan
rainbow-warrior
Pete330v2
majesticimperialman
king_carlos
Exiledinborders
Fanster
Gwlad
Cardiff Dave
monty junior
Maine man
65 posters

Page 8 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Go down

Most overrated current international player. - Page 8 Empty Most overrated current international player.

Post by Maine man Wed 30 Nov 2016, 9:50 pm

First topic message reminder :

Just a bit of fun. Who do people think is the most overrated player currently. For me it's Will Skelton. Just don't see what he adds to the aussie team.

Maine man

Back to top Go down

Most overrated current international player. - Page 8 Empty Re: Most overrated current international player.

Post by R!skysports Wed 11 Jan 2017, 4:11 pm

I would add Halfpenny to the overrated list - even before his injury....

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Most overrated current international player. - Page 8 Empty Re: Most overrated current international player.

Post by LordDowlais Wed 11 Jan 2017, 4:22 pm

tigertattie wrote:
No 7&1/2 wrote:Grow up ld.

Just so his lordship can see laughing

Cheers for that, I am not going to rise though. angel

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Breadvan Wed 11 Jan 2017, 4:25 pm

The Sexton wraparound.

This. As annoying as his own face.. Shocked
Breadvan
Breadvan

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGermsV2 Wed 11 Jan 2017, 4:26 pm

The Sexton Wraparound is very annoying alright.

GunsGermsV2

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 11 Jan 2017, 4:29 pm

Anders Teigland for Norway. Never rated him. Don't see what all the hype is about personally.

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed 11 Jan 2017, 4:37 pm

Sexton Wraparound.... annoying but still causes hassles for the opposition if played at the right tempo and Sexton is in top form.

I suppose it's like Wilko's drop goals. "Oh would you stop with the f**king drop goals!"

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Thu 12 Jan 2017, 10:45 am

Agree with rugbyfan100 about Hogg and Manu.

Don't get me wrong - I think both are quality players on their day.

Hogg's flaws I feel are ignored much more than someone like Brown for example because of Hogg's superior athleticism.

Manu is constantly picked for the England squad despite doing little of note at international level in 3 years because of injuries. England haven't missed him, it's a shame all the injuries because that performance vs NZ in 2012 was special.

Hartley is obviously overrated. If it wasn't for his captaincy being superior to Robshaw, he would likely been dropped. Captaincy - 8/10, playing form - 6/10 IMO.

He is praised for nailing his lineouts which ignores the work done by Borthwick to make the lineout run smoothly and the work done by others in the England side.

Farrell is pretty overrated too - didn't deserve to be on end of year short list. Only there because of his goalkicking IMO.

As a centre he's been adequate, I still feel he's a placeholder till someone superior usurps him. He's picked because Ford hasn't proven himself to be an international class goal kicker plus no one else putting their hand up at 12.

Jamie Heaslip - didn't deserve to be on the end of year short list either. Forgettable 6 nations performance is ignored because of win over NZ.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Thu 12 Jan 2017, 10:49 am

Breadvan wrote:The Sexton wraparound.
Is this a silk scarf worn by the posh boys from D4?

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Thu 12 Jan 2017, 10:51 am

Cyril wrote:

Totes
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Thu 12 Jan 2017, 10:57 am

munkian wrote:
Cyril wrote:

Totes
I hope you're not appropriating patois there, munk. You know how that can get you in trouble... Laugh

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 12 Jan 2017, 11:04 am

Cyril wrote:
munkian wrote:
Cyril wrote:

Totes
I hope you're not appropriating patois there, munk. You know how that can get you in trouble... Laugh

I think he means totes amaze balls, which would be racist against posh people.  Or at least people off Miranda  Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Thu 12 Jan 2017, 11:07 am

Griff wrote:
Cyril wrote:
munkian wrote:
Cyril wrote:

Totes

I think he means totes amaze balls, which would be racist against posh people.  Or at least people off Miranda  Smile
Or people from Essex/parts of Dublin... The Only Way is Lansdowne... Smile

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Thu 12 Jan 2017, 1:36 pm

beshocked wrote:Agree with rugbyfan100 about Hogg and Manu.

Hogg's flaws I feel are ignored much more than someone like Brown for example because of Hogg's superior athleticism.

See I get this the other way wrong. I think there is MUCH more focus on Hogg's errors with everyone waiting for a mistake to pounce. Much more than others.

At the same time his attacking is sometimes over blown

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGermsV2 Thu 12 Jan 2017, 1:37 pm

Riskysports wrote:

See I get this the other way wrong. I think there is MUCH more focus on Hogg's errors with everyone waiting for a mistake to pounce. Much more than others.

Yeah I agree re Hogg. For me he is easily the best full back in the NH by a good bit too.

GunsGermsV2

Back to top Go down

Post by Exiledinborders Thu 12 Jan 2017, 2:05 pm

beshocked wrote:Farrell is pretty overrated too - didn't deserve to be on end of year short list. Only there because of his goalkicking IMO.

As a centre he's been adequate, I still feel he's a placeholder till someone superior usurps him. He's picked because Ford hasn't proven himself to be an international class goal kicker plus no one else putting their hand up at 12.
All players are placeholders until someone superior usurps them.

I cannot think of any player in Lions countries who consistently plays better than Farrell at twelve and certainly no one who does that and is a reliable pressure kicker.

I suspect along with Billy V, Farrell's is the first name on the team sheet. The only question is whether he plays ten or twelve.

Whether he plays for Lions is a different matter. Most teams now seem to want player like Farrell at twelve who gives options to kick or pass. I am not sure Gatland does given that he keeps picking Roberts who can do neither.

Exiledinborders

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Thu 12 Jan 2017, 2:32 pm

Cyril wrote:
munkian wrote:
Cyril wrote:

Totes

Every day is another struggle to own my racism.
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Thu 12 Jan 2017, 2:34 pm

GunsGermsV2 wrote:
Riskysports wrote:

Yeah I agree re Hogg. For me he is easily the best full back in the NH by a good bit too.

That's only because Jared Payne has to play at 13

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGermsV2 Thu 12 Jan 2017, 2:36 pm

Exiledinborders wrote:
beshocked wrote:Farrell is pretty overrated too - didn't deserve to be on end of year short list. Only there because of his goalkicking IMO.

I cannot think of any player in Lions countries who consistently plays better than Farrell at twelve and certainly no one who does that and is a reliable pressure kicker.

I suspect along with Billy V, Farrell's is the first name on the team sheet. The only question is whether he plays ten or twelve.

Whether he plays for Lions is a different matter. Most teams now seem to want player like Farrell at twelve who gives options to kick or pass. I am not sure Gatland does given that he keeps picking Roberts who can do neither.

Farrell will definitely be in the squad because he is a good kicker and can cover more than one position but because Sexton is a better 10 and given there are good quality 12s such as Roberts and Henshaw around I would say he is a guaranteed starter at all. There have been rumours however, that Gatland will start him.

Roberts is only 30 and featured prominently on two tours. Gatland may still favour him.

Vunapola would be definitely be a guaranteed starter is he wasn't injured.

Last edited by GunsGermsV2 on Thu 12 Jan 2017, 2:42 pm; edited 1 time in total

GunsGermsV2

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Thu 12 Jan 2017, 2:40 pm

You could have just held your hands up munkian and moved on.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Thu 12 Jan 2017, 2:46 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:You could have just held your hands up munkian and moved on.

I held a few fingers up if that helps ?
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Thu 12 Jan 2017, 2:48 pm

Don't understand if you want to make that sort of joke why you run away from it bur there you go. Let's move on and leave it distasteful lying in the past.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Thu 12 Jan 2017, 2:50 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:Don't understand if you want to make that sort of joke why you run away from it bur there you go. Let's move on and leave it distasteful lying in the past.

'irie
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Thu 12 Jan 2017, 2:50 pm

munkian wrote:
No 7&1/2 wrote:You could have just held your hands up munkian and moved on.

I held a few fingers up if that helps ?

Or No 7&1/2 could just let it go. Rolling Eyes

FFS people, stop quoting him, you are giving the troll extra air time.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Thu 12 Jan 2017, 2:58 pm

He brought it up ld. Not a troll you just don't like my posts as I point out your mistakes too much.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Thu 12 Jan 2017, 3:02 pm

too often*

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Thu 12 Jan 2017, 3:04 pm

Thanks.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Thu 12 Jan 2017, 3:10 pm

Scottrf wrote:too often*

clap
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Thu 12 Jan 2017, 3:14 pm

Strictly speaking you can use both.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Thu 12 Jan 2017, 3:18 pm

Only one conveys a sensible meaning though.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Thu 12 Jan 2017, 3:24 pm

Not really no. Pretty much interchangeable here for instance and you obviously understood in addition . But much appreciated.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Thu 12 Jan 2017, 3:37 pm

Exiledinborders wrote:

1st name on the team sheet for who? Lions? No. Saracens? No. England? No.

Farrell is 3rd choice 12 at Saracens, luckily he doesn't need to be picked there anymore.

Farrell is a good player primarily because of his goalkicking. He's won many games for club and country because of the boot. Of course it's important but doesn't IMO make him number one on the team sheet.

At Saracens I would say George,Barritt,Itoje,Kruis,both Vunipola bros,Burger,Goode are more vital players.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Thu 12 Jan 2017, 3:38 pm

Most of which are under rated.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Thu 12 Jan 2017, 3:48 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:Most of which are under rated.

Erm Which one, exactly ?
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Thu 12 Jan 2017, 3:54 pm

George to an extent especially outside of England. In conversations on here he's been down played due to starting from England's bench. Barritt limited as he may be going forward was extremely useful for England at 12 and even 13 and never let us down. Good generally considered as not good enough internationally by many England.fans though I think he does.have the skill set to.excel but never got a run of games with a settled back line to get a fair crack of the whip. His time is probably passed to make an impact internationally as Watson or even Day looks more in Jones immediate plans. He does get more acknowledgement at club level.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Thu 12 Jan 2017, 3:55 pm

I was thinking old Burger rather than Schalk initially.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Thu 12 Jan 2017, 3:59 pm

Wouldn't call Itoje underrated anymore. Austin Healey rates him more than I do these days.

Don't think Billy has ever been underrated bar by fa0019 though should have won 6 nations player of the tournament.

Mako - I think he's fairly rated, still has issues with scrummaging but excels outside that.

Kruis is perhaps underrated when compared to someone like J.Gray and Itoje but in general he's fairly rated.

Lock is very competitive for England.

Both Burgers have done well. Schalk has slotted in nicely.

Actually all the new signings have.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Thu 12 Jan 2017, 4:37 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:George to an extent especially outside of England. In conversations on here he's been down played due to starting from England's bench. Barritt limited as he may be going forward was extremely useful for England at 12 and even 13 and never let us down. Good generally considered as not good enough internationally by many England.fans though I think he does.have the skill set to.excel but never got a run of games with a settled back line to get a fair crack of the whip.  His time is probably passed to make an impact internationally as Watson or even Day looks more in Jones immediate plans. He does get more acknowledgement at club level.

I think this is more that he has yet to prove himself Internationally as a starter against fresh opposition. He looks great coming off the bench, but to truly know his ability, there needs to be more time to show it.

He certainly has potential, but it sometimes becomes a little be too early to shout from the roof time - although he could be that good - we shall see :-)

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Thu 12 Jan 2017, 4:39 pm

beshocked wrote:Wouldn't call Itoje underrated anymore. Austin Healey rates him more than I do these days.

Don't think Billy has ever been underrated bar by fa0019 though should have won 6 nations player of the tournament.

Mako - I think he's fairly rated, still has issues with scrummaging but excels outside that.

Kruis is perhaps underrated when compared to someone like J.Gray and Itoje but in general he's fairly rated.

Lock is very competitive for England.

Both Burgers have done well. Schalk has slotted in nicely.

Actually all the new signings have.

That is what we call that the Lobon effect in our household - the commentators always have a Lobon for someone and he is it just now. Getting close to being overrated by them (Not saying he is not very good - just NOONE is as good as the Lobon brigade think :-) )

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Thu 12 Jan 2017, 5:03 pm

Riskysports true. Itoje is an excellent but even he has aspects of his game to work on, notably discipline. Still gives away too many penalties. Now perhaps that's because he plays the game on the edge - more turnovers but pinged more. I want to see him keeping the penalty count down but keep doing what he does.

As for George, it's not his fault, he's being overlooked, Hartley is the captain and Jones feels loyalty towards him.

I like to hype up players more when I feel they are being overlooked but once they start picking up plaudits I like too move on to the next player.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8