The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SURREY vs SOMERSET/GLOUCESTERSHIRE GLADIATORS ROYAL LONDON CUP

+3
guildfordbat
king_carlos
jimbobgooner
7 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

SURREY vs SOMERSET/GLOUCESTERSHIRE GLADIATORS ROYAL LONDON CUP - Page 2 Empty SURREY vs SOMERSET/GLOUCESTERSHIRE GLADIATORS ROYAL LONDON CUP

Post by jimbobgooner Sun 16 Aug 2015, 1:16 pm

First topic message reminder :

SURREY HAVE NAMED A FOURTEEN MAN SQUAD FOR THEIR ROYAL LONDON ONE DAY CUP GAMES AGAINST SOMERSET AND THE GLOUCESTERSHIRE GLADIATORS.
Matthew Dunn is included having recovered from the side strain that has kept him out of First Team action in recent weeks.
The Surrey squad to play Somerset at Taunton on Monday 17th August and the Gloucestershire Gladiators at Bristol on Tuesday 18th August in the Royal London One Day Cup:
Gareth Batty (capt)
Zafar Ansari
James Burke
Rory Burns
Sam Curran
Tom Curran
Steven Davies
Jade Dernbach
Matthew Dunn
Ben Foakes
Aneesh Kapil
Tim Linley
Jason Roy
Gary Wilson
for the first game viscount,kapil and dunn to miss out
over to you chaps thumbsup

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

SURREY vs SOMERSET/GLOUCESTERSHIRE GLADIATORS ROYAL LONDON CUP - Page 2 Empty Re: SURREY vs SOMERSET/GLOUCESTERSHIRE GLADIATORS ROYAL LONDON CUP

Post by king_carlos Mon 17 Aug 2015, 5:33 pm

Corporalhumblebucket wrote:100 for Davies clap clap Bubbly He has had a magnificent season in this competition.
Two centuries to go with a 99 and 98 with 6 innings.

He must be pushing for an England recall as a batsmen alone given his high scoring in both CC and 50 over cricket.

Obviously we are biased though!

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

SURREY vs SOMERSET/GLOUCESTERSHIRE GLADIATORS ROYAL LONDON CUP - Page 2 Empty Re: SURREY vs SOMERSET/GLOUCESTERSHIRE GLADIATORS ROYAL LONDON CUP

Post by king_carlos Mon 17 Aug 2015, 5:34 pm

By the looks of this it's Craig who can tonk it guildford.

I think both can give it a fair whack however. They are big blokes that's for sure!

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Mon 17 Aug 2015, 5:35 pm

22 needed from 4.5 overs.

We really need a wicket from Curran minutely snr here.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Mon 17 Aug 2015, 5:38 pm

first defeat Sad

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon 17 Aug 2015, 5:41 pm

guildfordbat wrote:
king_carlos wrote:Good afternoon all.

I've been out all day so only just catching up.

Somerset require 40 runs from 7 overs with 3 wickets in hand.

It looks to me a case of if we get Allenby out we have a very good chance. If he's there at the end we will be struggling however.

Carlos - yes, Allenby's the main fly in the ointment although one of the O brothers (forget which) can tonk it. As I've been chuntering for a while today, we're going to need 10 wickets for the win.

Also agree with Olly about Burkey - from a look at recent stats, he has been expensive but still been picking up useful wickets. Could do with a second one now ....

With 30 off 19, guess it's Craig! Rolling Eyes Game gone. As JimBob says, we lost it in the closing overs of our knock.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Mon 17 Aug 2015, 5:42 pm

C Overton 40 from 22 balls with 6 fours and 1 six.

I think it's Craig who can tonk it guildford. Sad

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Mon 17 Aug 2015, 5:46 pm

Beat me to it guildford! Hug

I missed our innings so I'm only going on the scorecard. However if a sides last 6 batsmen make a combined 10 runs then you wont often make a par total.  steam

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 17 Aug 2015, 5:47 pm

Yep didn't get enough with the bat then #ansariforengland getting injured pretty much finished us off

Shame but should bounce back against Gloucestershire
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon 17 Aug 2015, 5:56 pm

Just to add - before Olly gets going - we were unlucky to lose Zaf before he bowled. However, that doesn't excuse the feeble batting of too many. We got one ton and two half-centuries to Somerset's solitary half-century but they still won. We needed a lot more than the 14 runs that 8 of our team scored between them.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Mon 17 Aug 2015, 6:19 pm

gloucestershire lost as well so baring yorkshire thrashing northants and us losing to gloucestershire we should be guaranteed a home tie due to our run rate

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Tue 18 Aug 2015, 8:09 am

There are a couple of changes in the squad for today's game at Bristol - Zafar Ansari is unavailable due to a hamstring strain Sad And Steven Davies is unavailable for the game due to a family bereavement - Sad Sad Sad Vikram Solanki and Freddie Van den Bergh come into the squad

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Tue 18 Aug 2015, 10:12 am

Gloucestershire win toss and bowl
Kapil and Solanki in for Zafar and Davies

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Tue 18 Aug 2015, 10:31 am

Kapil opening Shocked

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue 18 Aug 2015, 12:28 pm

jimbobgooner wrote:Kapil opening Shocked

Yeah, would have thought Burns would have stepped up. Mind you, a useful 33 from Kapil in an unfamiliar and tricky position with Roy going early.

140 odd/3 after almost 27 overs. Bit similar to yesterday with 2 quick wickets and then a recovery following. I would be more confident if we were only 2 down, particularly as our late middle order and tail flopped so badly y'day ....

Meanwhile, poor old Freddie. Drives the Burger Van down to Gloucs through the night only to be told his offerings aren't required! The Corporal won't be happy.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Tue 18 Aug 2015, 12:56 pm

197-4 off 36 overs with Curran the younger in with third degree.

Let's see if we can use the good platform today
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Tue 18 Aug 2015, 12:58 pm

202 - 4 after 37 overs. Good knock from Burns and useful contributions from Kapil and Foakes. Interesting that Pitt the Even Younger has come in ahead of Harold! He's currently on 27* Clearly Surrey rate his batting potential quite highly....

I'm sure the Burger Van will get a go soon!

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Tue 18 Aug 2015, 12:59 pm

Burns now has his highest List A score. clap clap

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue 18 Aug 2015, 1:07 pm

Hoping Burns makes a ton. We should be looking for 300 from here - circa 220/4 with 10 overs remaining ....

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Tue 18 Aug 2015, 1:07 pm

Corporalhumblebucket wrote:202 - 4 after 37 overs. Good knock from Burns and useful contributions from Kapil and Foakes.  Interesting that Pitt the Even Younger has come in ahead of Harold!  He's currently on 27* Clearly Surrey rate his batting potential quite highly....

Can we sign the Currans to lifetime contracts? The younger is a once in a generation type talent imo....
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue 18 Aug 2015, 1:16 pm

Corporalhumblebucket wrote:

Corporal - ''get a go soon'' or ''get to go soon''?

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue 18 Aug 2015, 1:18 pm

Olly wrote:

Can we sign the Currans to lifetime contracts? The younger is a once in a generation type talent imo....

Incredible to think that the Younger still has to take his A levels next year!

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Tue 18 Aug 2015, 1:19 pm

guildfordbat wrote:
Olly wrote:

Incredible to think that the Younger still has to take his A levels next year!

Don't say that Guildford - makes me feel old Laugh

He can't even drive yet....!
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue 18 Aug 2015, 1:22 pm

2 quick wickets and our score suddenly looks a lot less imposing.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue 18 Aug 2015, 1:29 pm

240/6 off 44.3 overs.

Wilson on 2 from 11 balls. He's produced a few decent innings this season and before but never seems to hit the ground running ....

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Tue 18 Aug 2015, 1:42 pm

Harold pays attention to Guildford and hits couple of 6s.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Tue 18 Aug 2015, 1:52 pm

291 - 8.  Good knock by Harold in the end. Not too convinced about the run containing ability of our bowling attack, but we've given ourselves a chance.  And Yorks have not managed to start their game yet - I imagine it may well be rained off.

It's also worth mentioning that while Guildford was away Harold had a particularly fine knock in Surrey's successful run chase against Essex.)

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue 18 Aug 2015, 2:12 pm

No particular knowledge of the Bristol ground or the wicket for this match but my immediate reaction is that 291 gives us a good chance even though I was hoping for a little bit more with about 10 overs left.

Unlike y'day, good to see several double figure scores even though Burns sadly didn't quite make it to 3 figures.

Take Corporal's comment about Harold's knock against Essex. Wasn't really having a pop at him, more just flagging in a roundabout way that it (often) takes him a bit of time to find top gear. No great problem with that unless he's out for something like 2 off a dozen balls which can obviously have a detrimental effect on the scoring rate in the oh so important closing overs.

From a few glances at our scorecards when away, Dernbach generally seems to have kept it tidy without taking too many wickets.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Tue 18 Aug 2015, 2:20 pm

harold must have been reading olly's comments Laugh

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Tue 18 Aug 2015, 2:29 pm

if kapil does well with the ball burke will have to start looking over his shoulder

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue 18 Aug 2015, 3:28 pm

A couple of wickets for TC but we're leaking runs. 78/2 off 12 ....

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Tue 18 Aug 2015, 3:30 pm

yorkshire game rained off home tie guaranteed Very Happy Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue 18 Aug 2015, 3:36 pm

Cheers, JimBob. Do you know what day we play our QF or when we find out? Hope to get along. Cheers.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue 18 Aug 2015, 3:42 pm

Batty gets a wicket. 90/3 off 16. That third wicket makes a massive difference and makes us clear favourites in my book ....

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue 18 Aug 2015, 3:52 pm

Burkey obviously read JimBob's earlier post and gets in on the act with a wicket in his first over.

Corporal - see you in the mess a bit later. Very Happy

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Tue 18 Aug 2015, 4:02 pm

109 - 4 off 20 overs. We are right back in this game, although Gloucs are still well up with scoring rate. Batty, as well as taking a wicket, has at least calmed down the scoring rate. We are likely to need Burke to bowl his full allocation, so we'll have to hope he has one of his good days.

I doubt whether Kapil will bowl at all. Although he has bowled a few overs here and there for the seconds, he hasn't had a lot of success, whereas he is clearly a front line batsmen for the seconds.

Guildford - the mess will of course be open later! Wink

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Tue 18 Aug 2015, 4:03 pm

Batty dismisses Norma Barnett, who has somehow strayed into the men's game. clap

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Tue 18 Aug 2015, 4:24 pm

guildfordbat wrote:Cheers, JimBob. Do you know what day we play our QF or when we find out? Hope to get along. Cheers.
not sure yet guildford it's either 25th,26th or 27th of august

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Tue 18 Aug 2015, 4:25 pm

wkt for jade 6 down

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue 18 Aug 2015, 4:34 pm

Into the 31st and Burkey has only bowled 3 overs. Reckon Kapil may well need to bowl a small number.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue 18 Aug 2015, 4:38 pm

Meanwhile, 10 highly effective overs on the reel from Batty - he should look to do that more imo. Analysis of 10-0-38-2. ''Proper bowling'' as Churchy would say and might have done. Wink

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Tue 18 Aug 2015, 4:50 pm

Could do with another wicket here....

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue 18 Aug 2015, 5:00 pm

Corporalhumblebucket wrote:Could do with another wicket here....

Strongly agree. Don't want Benny Hill having a laugh at us ....

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbohammers Tue 18 Aug 2015, 5:05 pm

Benny Howell has turned into a top county cricketer. He's exactly the sort of player we could do with now tbh. Disappointing that we let him go

jimbohammers

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue 18 Aug 2015, 5:09 pm

jimbohammers wrote:Benny Howell has turned into a top county cricketer. He's exactly the sort of player we could do with now tbh. Disappointing that we let him go

Surrey were rumoured to be interested in him at that time. More of a batsman but perhaps could have done the type of role now being undertaken by Burke.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue 18 Aug 2015, 5:12 pm

Meanwhile, Burke just about holding his own with the ball but you feel an assault will soon be attempted ....

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Tue 18 Aug 2015, 5:14 pm

daft to go into a one day game with only 5 bowlers Rolling Eyes

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbohammers Tue 18 Aug 2015, 5:16 pm

Guildford, solid all round cricketer. Every team needs one.

jimbohammers

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbohammers Tue 18 Aug 2015, 5:23 pm

I'll take the credit for Howell's dismissal.... haha

jimbohammers

Back to top Go down

Post by SimonofSurrey Tue 18 Aug 2015, 5:25 pm

jimbobgooner wrote:daft to go into a one day game with only 5 bowlers Rolling Eyes

Not sure we had much choice in the absence of Ansari. It just shows how dependent we are on him for his all-round skill - he rarely fails to perform with either bat or ball in one dayers nowadays. But it's a high risk strategy at this stage of their careers to trust 30 overs to Curran x2 and Burke. Their combined age must be less than Norah's.

Meanwhile, Jade is back in the attack: and he gets Howell! Yahoo Surely a group-topping home 1/4 final now beckons. (Where's that 'bha' WUM when you need him?)

SimonofSurrey

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Tue 18 Aug 2015, 5:33 pm

awful bowling from burke keeping gloucestershire interested

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next