The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SURREY vs SOMERSET/GLOUCESTERSHIRE GLADIATORS ROYAL LONDON CUP

+3
guildfordbat
king_carlos
jimbobgooner
7 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

SURREY vs SOMERSET/GLOUCESTERSHIRE GLADIATORS ROYAL LONDON CUP - Page 3 Empty SURREY vs SOMERSET/GLOUCESTERSHIRE GLADIATORS ROYAL LONDON CUP

Post by jimbobgooner Sun 16 Aug 2015, 1:16 pm

First topic message reminder :

SURREY HAVE NAMED A FOURTEEN MAN SQUAD FOR THEIR ROYAL LONDON ONE DAY CUP GAMES AGAINST SOMERSET AND THE GLOUCESTERSHIRE GLADIATORS.
Matthew Dunn is included having recovered from the side strain that has kept him out of First Team action in recent weeks.
The Surrey squad to play Somerset at Taunton on Monday 17th August and the Gloucestershire Gladiators at Bristol on Tuesday 18th August in the Royal London One Day Cup:
Gareth Batty (capt)
Zafar Ansari
James Burke
Rory Burns
Sam Curran
Tom Curran
Steven Davies
Jade Dernbach
Matthew Dunn
Ben Foakes
Aneesh Kapil
Tim Linley
Jason Roy
Gary Wilson
for the first game viscount,kapil and dunn to miss out
over to you chaps thumbsup

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

SURREY vs SOMERSET/GLOUCESTERSHIRE GLADIATORS ROYAL LONDON CUP - Page 3 Empty Re: SURREY vs SOMERSET/GLOUCESTERSHIRE GLADIATORS ROYAL LONDON CUP

Post by jimbobgooner Tue 18 Aug 2015, 5:40 pm

jade gets payne 9 down

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

SURREY vs SOMERSET/GLOUCESTERSHIRE GLADIATORS ROYAL LONDON CUP - Page 3 Empty Re: SURREY vs SOMERSET/GLOUCESTERSHIRE GLADIATORS ROYAL LONDON CUP

Post by jimbobgooner Tue 18 Aug 2015, 5:42 pm

excellent over from jade clap clap clap

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Tue 18 Aug 2015, 5:46 pm

30 needed off 2 overs

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Tue 18 Aug 2015, 5:51 pm

22 off the last over
over to tom

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Tue 18 Aug 2015, 5:53 pm

14 off 4

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Tue 18 Aug 2015, 5:54 pm

13 off 3

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Tue 18 Aug 2015, 5:55 pm

yessssssssssss a win by 12 runs phew Very Happy

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by SimonofSurrey Tue 18 Aug 2015, 5:58 pm

jimbobgooner wrote:awful bowling from burke keeping gloucestershire interested  

Agreed- but he has the last word by bowling Norwell to give us a 12 run win. Very well done Jade D for coming up to calm Burke after the first two balls of the last over had disappeared for four each. Surrey get a home 1/4 v yet to be decided 4th placed team in t'other group, Glos get a home game v other group's 3rd placed team. Well done both teams not just for a very entertaining game today but for their consistency throughout the difficult and drawn out group stage.

SimonofSurrey

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Tue 18 Aug 2015, 6:01 pm

SimonofSurrey wrote:

Agreed- but he has the last word by bowling Norwell to give us a 12 run win. Very well done Jade D for coming up to calm Burke after the first two balls of the last over had disappeared for four each. Surrey get a home 1/4 v yet to be decided 4th placed team in t'other group, Glos get a home game v other group's 3rd placed team. Well done both teams not just for a very entertaining game today but for their consistency throughout the difficult and drawn out group stage.
simon tommy c bowled the last over Laugh

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue 18 Aug 2015, 6:10 pm

jimbobgooner wrote:excellent over from jade clap clap clap

Dernbach gets a lot of criticism - some of it deserved, admittedly - but he came up with the goods today. Very fine analysis of 10-1-45-3. clap

A lot closer than I would have liked but we got there in the end. Felt Kapil should have been given the ball early on for at least a couple of overs. That would have been unlikely to have done us much damage and would have given us more flexibility as to who bowled in the closing overs. As said before, Burkey can be handy at picking up wickets but isn't normally a cheap option.

Anyway, Corporal, make mine a large one! Very Happy

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Tue 18 Aug 2015, 6:13 pm

In the end that was considerably closer than it should have been. But, as Simon implies, there's a fair likelihood that the three inexperienced bowlers - two Pitts and Burke (presumably not Edmund Burke Wink) - will leak runs when put under pressure.

Anyway the bar is open guinness guinness guinness Whisky Whisky Whisky

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Tue 18 Aug 2015, 6:23 pm

Bubbly RedWine cider guinness Ale Yahoo

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Tue 18 Aug 2015, 6:26 pm

Also worth pausing to note that 291 was a very decent total considering we were without Sanga, Davies and Ansari, (and that le Roi king fell very early). Burns clearly responding very positively to batting in the middle order in this competition.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Tue 18 Aug 2015, 6:27 pm

jimbobgooner wrote:Bubbly RedWine cider guinness Ale Yahoo

Sorry Jimbob, I wasn't meaning to restrict your intake to just whisky and ale! Very Happy

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Tue 18 Aug 2015, 9:25 pm

Good evening all.

I again missed the match so am only catching up from the scorecard. It seems like a good victory however.

Our often top heavy batting order managed to score 291 without Davies or Sanga, plus Roy going for not many. Very positive signs and great to see Third Degree taking his CC form into 50 over stuff now he's been given a chance.

Also kudos to Harold for finally making some runs in the last few games. Still not massive scores but important contributions.

On the negative side we did once again allow the tail to wag which is still a frustrating Surrey trait. As noted above the Curran brothers and Burke can still go for a few given their inexperience.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Tue 18 Aug 2015, 9:30 pm

Corporalhumblebucket wrote:Also worth pausing to note that 291 was a very decent total considering we were without Sanga, Davies and Ansari, (and that le Roi king fell very early). Burns clearly responding very positively to batting in the middle order in this competition.

1.Interesting
2.Le Roi
3.Sangakarra
4.Third Degree
5.Harold or That's All (wk)
6.Ansari
7.Burke
8.Pitt the younger
9.Pitt the even younger still
10.Norah (c)
11.Dernbach

It is a good looking and balanced side isn't it Corporal.

We could do with Burke showing a bit more control in his bowling and Ansari a bit more consistency in his one day batting. It is a very promising line-up however.

It is particularly pleasing to see many youngsters performing in multiple formats with Roy, Burns, Ansari, both Pitts and Burke all very much part of our plans across all formats - Burns still had limited opportunities in t20s but his one day game is clearly improving.

All this without Tremlett, Meaker and Dunn in the bowling stocks as well.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Tue 18 Aug 2015, 9:43 pm

It'd be great if Burke did bowl more consistently, but in 7 List A games this season he has 15 wickets at an average of 18.53 and economy of 5.97.

Those are some pretty impressive figures. I would actually say he needs to contribute more with the bat, as I would currently rank both Curran's above him with the willow.
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue 18 Aug 2015, 10:12 pm

Olly - you make good and fair points about Burke's bowling. Impressive, as you say.

The one thing I would add is that Batty (plus Stewart & Ford behind the scenes) seems to have looked after him pretty well. Haven't checked any scorecards but I don't think that Burke had bowled his full allotment of 10 overs before today. Nothing wrong with that at all - one of the advantages of going into a game with 6 bowlers - but it's probably aided Burke bowling short, sharp spells (his stated preference) and kept his economy rate down in that he's been taken off when batsmen have looked like getting after him.

As I touched on earlier, one guy who deserves more praise for his bowling in our RL 50 triumphs this year than he's had (and I kind of understand why) is Dernbach.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by SimonofSurrey Wed 19 Aug 2015, 8:56 am

jimbobgooner wrote:
SimonofSurrey wrote:

Whoops - you're right of course jimbob Sorry In my defence all I can say is that, at my age, these young quicks all look the same (yes,Ii know there is a very basic 'left arm bowler, right arm bowler, issue there too, but let me wallow a while in my Senior Moment, please!). what I was trying to say, and stand by, is that it was good thinking by Jade to calm down the young bowler after the latter had shipped two fours of the first two balls of the last over.

SimonofSurrey

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Wed 19 Aug 2015, 4:54 pm

SimonofSurrey wrote:
jimbobgooner wrote:
SimonofSurrey wrote:

Whoops - you're right of course jimbob Sorry In my defence all I can say is that, at my age, these young quicks all look the same (yes,Ii know there is a very basic 'left arm bowler, right arm bowler, issue there too, but let me wallow a while in my Senior Moment, please!). what I was trying to say, and stand by, is that it was good thinking by Jade to calm down the young bowler after the latter had shipped two fours of the first two balls of the last over.
Hug

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Wed 19 Aug 2015, 6:09 pm

looking like it will be kent chaps

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 19 Aug 2015, 6:42 pm

JimBob - do we know yet what day we'll be playing? If not, do we find out later today? Hoping to get along but need to plan other things for next week. Cheers.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed 19 Aug 2015, 6:52 pm

jimbobgooner wrote:looking like it will be kent chaps

You can already see the headline...

"Darren Stevens rolls back the years as he takes 4-38 and scores an unbeaten half century to lead Kent to victory over Surrey"
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Wed 19 Aug 2015, 7:07 pm

guildfordbat wrote:JimBob - do we know yet what day we'll be playing? If not, do we find out later today? Hoping to get along but need to plan other things for next week. Cheers.
Hopefully tonight Guildford :goodluck:tomorrow at the latest

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 19 Aug 2015, 7:32 pm

Thanks, JimBob.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Wed 19 Aug 2015, 9:38 pm

guildfordbat wrote:Thanks, JimBob.
next tuesday 10.30 start guildford OK

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 19 Aug 2015, 9:43 pm

Thanks again, JimBob - just saw that on the BBC website. As long as the weather behaves, that should work well for me.

I'm going to the Test on Friday - almost too scared to look at the forecast! Wink

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed 19 Aug 2015, 10:10 pm

2pm start not 10:30 folks!
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Wed 19 Aug 2015, 10:11 pm

so the bbc got it wrong mad
the confirmed date is thursday 27th 2pm start thumbsup

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Thu 20 Aug 2015, 2:24 am

king_carlos wrote: ..... It is a good looking and balanced side isn't it Corporal.

We could do with Burke showing a bit more control in his bowling and Ansari a bit more consistency in his one day batting. It is a very promising line-up however.

It is particularly pleasing to see many youngsters performing in multiple formats with Roy, Burns, Ansari, both Pitts and Burke all very much part of our plans across all formats - Burns still had limited opportunities in t20s but his one day game is clearly improving.

Agree, King Carlos!  Unclear where Burke's best position is in the batting order. May well be that one or both the Pitts the Younger/Even Younger will end up ahead of him permanently.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by SimonofSurrey Thu 20 Aug 2015, 8:45 am

guildfordbat wrote:Thanks again, JimBob - just saw that on the BBC website. As long as the weather behaves, that should work well for me.

I'm going to the Test on Friday - almost too scared to look at the forecast! Wink

Don't worry, most pundits agree that - possibly with a bit of help from the weather - Australia should take be able to take the Fifth Test into at least the second day

SimonofSurrey

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu 20 Aug 2015, 8:48 am

jimbobgooner wrote:so the bbc got it wrong mad
the confirmed date is thursday 27th 2pm start thumbsup

What a carry on - I'll blame ECB incompetence and Sky money! A 2pm start on the Thursday just about works for me - glad it's not a morning start that day as that would have scuppered me badly!

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3