The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SURREY vs SOMERSET/GLOUCESTERSHIRE GLADIATORS ROYAL LONDON CUP

+3
guildfordbat
king_carlos
jimbobgooner
7 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

SURREY vs SOMERSET/GLOUCESTERSHIRE GLADIATORS ROYAL LONDON CUP Empty SURREY vs SOMERSET/GLOUCESTERSHIRE GLADIATORS ROYAL LONDON CUP

Post by jimbobgooner Sun 16 Aug 2015, 1:16 pm

SURREY HAVE NAMED A FOURTEEN MAN SQUAD FOR THEIR ROYAL LONDON ONE DAY CUP GAMES AGAINST SOMERSET AND THE GLOUCESTERSHIRE GLADIATORS.
Matthew Dunn is included having recovered from the side strain that has kept him out of First Team action in recent weeks.
The Surrey squad to play Somerset at Taunton on Monday 17th August and the Gloucestershire Gladiators at Bristol on Tuesday 18th August in the Royal London One Day Cup:
Gareth Batty (capt)
Zafar Ansari
James Burke
Rory Burns
Sam Curran
Tom Curran
Steven Davies
Jade Dernbach
Matthew Dunn
Ben Foakes
Aneesh Kapil
Tim Linley
Jason Roy
Gary Wilson
for the first game viscount,kapil and dunn to miss out
over to you chaps thumbsup

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

SURREY vs SOMERSET/GLOUCESTERSHIRE GLADIATORS ROYAL LONDON CUP Empty Re: SURREY vs SOMERSET/GLOUCESTERSHIRE GLADIATORS ROYAL LONDON CUP

Post by king_carlos Sun 16 Aug 2015, 1:55 pm

Unless one of the Curran embryos require a rest I expect you're spot on jimbob. If one does need a break I could see Dunn leap frogging Viscount to the extra spot which would be yet another blow for him. I accept we have a lot of talented young bowlers but given his returns during a brief spell with Sussex I still feel he has something to offer in CC cricket. I would have selected him over Dernbach for the Essex game.

1.Interesting
2.Le Roi king
3.Third Degree
4.Harold (wk)
5.That's All
6.Ansari
7.Burke
8.Pitt the younger
9.Pitt the even younger still
10.Norah (c)
11.Dernbach

The above is what I think we will see. It is a credit to Burke how well he has established himself in that number 7 spot that we have struggled to fill in recent years. He really adds a good balance to the side and makes selection so much more consistent. A very good acquisition. clap

I expect he will stay up the order but I would definitely move Wilson down to 6 with Foakes and Ansari moving up a place each.

Last edited by king_carlos on Sun 16 Aug 2015, 2:04 pm; edited 1 time in total

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

SURREY vs SOMERSET/GLOUCESTERSHIRE GLADIATORS ROYAL LONDON CUP Empty Re: SURREY vs SOMERSET/GLOUCESTERSHIRE GLADIATORS ROYAL LONDON CUP

Post by guildfordbat Sun 16 Aug 2015, 1:56 pm

Hi again JimBob and thanks for the thread.

This may be old hat to you guys but my man Spiller reported in this week's Surrey Ad that we are guaranteed a home QF if we win one of these two games.

Think you're right about the team for the first game although Kapil will be hoping to edge out That's All. Btw, infuriating to see the squad for the Essex CC game when on holiday and be the only one to call the eleven correctly but unable to post! Smile

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun 16 Aug 2015, 2:21 pm

king_carlos wrote:

... It is a credit to Burke how well he has established himself in that number 7 spot that we have struggled to fill in recent years. He really adds a good balance to the side and make selection so much more consistent. A very good acquisition. clap

Very good point. I don't know who first spotted Burke and recommended him but they deserve a lot of credit.

I hoped for quite a while that Tom Jewell would provide this balance, being an additional seamer and the much needed bridge between the end of the middle order and the start of the tail. I discussed this a couple of times with Alec Stewart. To his credit, Stewie brought up the matter the second time when he saw me at a second eleven game last season and re-ignited the conversation. I'm pretty sure that Stewie always saw the need but was too professional and diplomatic to say that Jewell wasn't good enough. Stewie did say then though that when we went 6 down in 2013, it was a case of ''start the mower!''. Very Happy

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Sun 16 Aug 2015, 2:43 pm

I've heard from a few people that Stewie is very approachable and candid in situations such as that whilst still remaining measured in his responses. It is an excellent attribute to have in a director of cricket.

I would also be interested to know who first spotted Burke.

As you say when Jewell was let go I was disappointed but in reality he may have lacked the explosive capablility with the bat which you want in that number 7 spot, along with half a yard of pace with the ball. It was the lack of opportunities he was given to prove otherwise which frustrated many of us in that regard I think.

The depth of our batting has been helped no end by the emergence of the Currans as well of course. Both have been promoted up the order in recent weeks when the situation presented itself and Tom opened in some t20's, albeit under some pretty dire injury constraints.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sun 16 Aug 2015, 8:38 pm

I hope Kapil gets a turn in at least one of the matches, as recognition of some very good innings in the second XI. If we win the first match I think it's very probable he would play in the next match.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Mon 17 Aug 2015, 10:10 am

Somerset win toss and bowl
Viscount, Kapil and Dunn miss out as expected

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon 17 Aug 2015, 10:25 am

Morning JimBob,

Good call on the eleven although probably not the most difficult choices this season.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon 17 Aug 2015, 10:47 am

Terrible start! 8/2 off 3.5 overs. Roy and That's All back in the hutch.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon 17 Aug 2015, 11:13 am

36/2 off 11. Davies on 25 - a lot seeming to rest with him ....

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon 17 Aug 2015, 11:55 am

99/2 off 22. Good recovery being undertaken by Davies (54) and Burns (40) but don't count chickens yet ....

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Mon 17 Aug 2015, 12:03 pm

Partnership of 107* so far. thumbsup

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Mon 17 Aug 2015, 12:09 pm

50 for Third Degree clap

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 17 Aug 2015, 12:13 pm

We have already secured a home quarter final haven't we?
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Mon 17 Aug 2015, 12:15 pm

Now Burns hits five boundaries in eight balls! Very Happy

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Mon 17 Aug 2015, 12:24 pm

150* partnership clap

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Mon 17 Aug 2015, 12:33 pm

Burns falls for 76.  Good innings. clap

Scoring rate excellent against Trego, Leach and Allenby.  Need to keep up momentum against Overton x 2 and Gregory.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Mon 17 Aug 2015, 12:37 pm

Davies has now reached 5000 runs in list A cricket.  I don't know how that compares with others but I imagine he's getting towards the top end of English qualified batsmen in this form of the game.  

PS Just checked the records for list A aggregate scorers. There are a great many over 10,000, with the list heavily dominated by former international batsmen.  Graham Gooch is top with a massive total of 22,211. Shocked I guess there were many more List A fixtures per season in pre T20 days, including the old John Player League and Benson and Hedges Cup. *cough, splutter, wheeze through the smoke*

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Mon 17 Aug 2015, 12:53 pm

100 for Davies clap clap Bubbly He has had a magnificent season in this competition.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Mon 17 Aug 2015, 1:00 pm

Harold getting a bit bogged down.19 off 29 balls.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Mon 17 Aug 2015, 1:03 pm

220 - 3 with 10 overs to go.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon 17 Aug 2015, 1:24 pm

Olly wrote:We have already secured a home quarter final haven't we?

Don't think quite yet although haven't studied the table and fixtures. My man Spills reported on Friday that one more win would guarantee it. That's the excellent Richard Spiller in the Surrey Advertiser - ask your Norwich newsagent to order it for you and look at his face, just look at his face! [sorry, different sport]. Wink

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 17 Aug 2015, 1:26 pm

guildfordbat wrote:
Olly wrote:We have already secured a home quarter final haven't we?

Don't think quite yet although haven't studied the table and fixtures. My man Spills reported on Friday that one more win would guarantee it. That's the excellent Richard Spiller in the Surrey Advertiser - ask your Norwich newsagent to order it for you and look at his face, just look at his face! [sorry, different sport]. Wink

I am going to challenge your man here - I'm pretty sure we've got it in the bag already boxing
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon 17 Aug 2015, 1:28 pm

Rapid fall of wickets - 238/7. Half an hour ago was hoping for 290 - now looking some way off ....

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon 17 Aug 2015, 1:30 pm

Olly - fair enough, we may have it already. Possibly we didn't when the Ad went to press.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Mon 17 Aug 2015, 1:57 pm

267 all out what a shambles

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon 17 Aug 2015, 1:58 pm

267 all out off 49.5. From 166/2 off 31.1, that's a decent effort to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

Bizarre scorecard - 1 century, 2 half-centuries and then no batsman scoring more than 4.

Given the small Taunton ground, feel we're going to have to take 10 wickets to win ....

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Mon 17 Aug 2015, 1:59 pm

Need to win one of either of these games to guarantee a home tie chaps Smile

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Mon 17 Aug 2015, 2:43 pm

guildfordbat wrote:Morning JimBob,

Good call on the eleven although probably not the most difficult choices this season.
morning guildford good holiday Very Happy

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon 17 Aug 2015, 3:00 pm

Hi JimBob - yes, very good thanks. Surrey did very well when I wasn't watching - did you make it to Guildford for the Sunday one dayer?

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Mon 17 Aug 2015, 3:04 pm

guildfordbat wrote:Hi JimBob - yes, very good thanks. Surrey did very well when I wasn't watching - did you make it to Guildford for the Sunday one dayer?
yeah wanted to ask you what happened to the stand next to the woodbridge rd?

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon 17 Aug 2015, 3:14 pm

jimbobgooner wrote:
guildfordbat wrote:Hi JimBob - yes, very good thanks. Surrey did very well when I wasn't watching - did you make it to Guildford for the Sunday one dayer?
yeah wanted to ask you what happened to the stand next to the woodbridge rd?

That's always been a temporary stand that the (Guildford) club hires for Surrey games. They didn't have it for the 4 day county game and gave the reason that it was too expensive to hire it twice in the same season. I did expect it to be there for the one dayer though when it's normally a full house. Strange.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 17 Aug 2015, 3:18 pm

#ansariforengland off the field with a hamstring strain

Sad Sad Sad Sad
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon 17 Aug 2015, 3:19 pm

Meanwhile, a good start by Somerset. 46/0 off 11. As I posted earlier, we're going to need to take 10 wickets to get anything out of this game ....

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Mon 17 Aug 2015, 3:19 pm

46 - 0 after 11 overs.

Meant to ask Guildford - did you manage to refloat the Greek economy on your hols? Wink

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Mon 17 Aug 2015, 3:21 pm

Bit of a mouthful - Hose caught Pitt the even younger, bowled Pitt the younger!

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon 17 Aug 2015, 3:25 pm

Corporalhumblebucket wrote:46 - 0 after 11 overs.

Meant to ask Guildford - did you manage to refloat the Greek economy on your hols? Wink  

Mrs Bat made a good attempt by herself in the Duty Free shop when coming back! Rolling Eyes

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Mon 17 Aug 2015, 3:39 pm

Olly wrote:#ansariforengland off the field with a hamstring strain

Sad Sad Sad Sad
does not help when you only have six bowlers Rolling Eyes

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon 17 Aug 2015, 3:43 pm

jimbobgooner wrote:

Sad Sad Sad Sad

And Burkey is currently going round and out of the park!!

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Mon 17 Aug 2015, 3:53 pm

guildfordbat wrote:
jimbobgooner wrote:

Sad Sad Sad Sad

since the match at guildford burkey has been in poor form Sad

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Mon 17 Aug 2015, 3:55 pm

108 -3. Tommy Cooper at the crease.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Mon 17 Aug 2015, 4:06 pm

125 - 4 Somerset comfortably up with required run rate but won't be wanting to lose too many more wickets in the next 10 overs.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon 17 Aug 2015, 4:18 pm

Tommy Cooper now goes - just like that! picard

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Mon 17 Aug 2015, 4:20 pm

guildfordbat wrote:Tommy Cooper now goes - just like that! picard
Rolling Eyes

Somerset rattling along easily up with run rate but have lost a 5th wicket.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Mon 17 Aug 2015, 4:24 pm

guildfordbat wrote:Tommy Cooper now goes - just like that! picard
drumroll

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon 17 Aug 2015, 4:59 pm

13 overs left. 64 runs or 5 wickets needed. Somerset in box seats ....

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Mon 17 Aug 2015, 5:09 pm

paid the price for the last 10 overs mad

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 17 Aug 2015, 5:11 pm

jimbobgooner wrote:
guildfordbat wrote:
jimbobgooner wrote:

Sad Sad Sad Sad

since the match at guildford  burkey has been in poor form Sad  

He's been in poor form yes, but despite this is still chipping in with wickets!
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Mon 17 Aug 2015, 5:25 pm

Good afternoon all.

I've been out all day so only just catching up.

Somerset require 40 runs from 7 overs with 3 wickets in hand.

It looks to me a case of if we get Allenby out we have a very good chance. If he's there at the end we will be struggling however.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon 17 Aug 2015, 5:32 pm

king_carlos wrote:Good afternoon all.

I've been out all day so only just catching up.

Somerset require 40 runs from 7 overs with 3 wickets in hand.

It looks to me a case of if we get Allenby out we have a very good chance. If he's there at the end we will be struggling however.

Carlos - yes, Allenby's the main fly in the ointment although one of the O brothers (forget which) can tonk it. As I've been chuntering for a while today, we're going to need 10 wickets for the win.

Also agree with Olly about Burkey - from a look at recent stats, he has been expensive but still been picking up useful wickets. Could do with a second one now ....

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next