The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SURREY VS GLOUCESTERSHIRE/ NOTTINGHAMSHIRE ROYAL LONDON ONE DAY CUP

4 posters

Go down

SURREY VS GLOUCESTERSHIRE/ NOTTINGHAMSHIRE ROYAL LONDON ONE DAY CUP  Empty SURREY VS GLOUCESTERSHIRE/ NOTTINGHAMSHIRE ROYAL LONDON ONE DAY CUP

Post by jimbobgooner Thu 18 Aug 2022, 6:58 pm

Surrey have named a 14 man squad for the Royal London one day cup game against Gloucestershire.
Cam Steel has been added to the squad following the completion of his return to play concussion protocols.
Rory Burns is still recharging his batteries  Rolling Eyes
Full Squad:
Ben Geddes (c)
Nathan Barnwell,
Josh Blake,
Matthew Dunn,
Sheridon Gumbs,
Nicholas Kimber,
Tom Lawes,
Tim Lloyd,
Yousef Majid,
Conor McKerr,
Ryan Patel,
Nico Reifer,
Cameron Steel
Amar Virdi
Barnwell, Lloyd and Gumbs probably to miss out, even though Gumbs done well you would expect Steel would take his place rather than anybody else.
Over to you chaps  thumbsup

Last edited by jimbobgooner on Mon 22 Aug 2022, 4:02 pm; edited 1 time in total

jimbobgooner

guildfordbat likes this post

Back to top Go down

SURREY VS GLOUCESTERSHIRE/ NOTTINGHAMSHIRE ROYAL LONDON ONE DAY CUP  Empty Re: SURREY VS GLOUCESTERSHIRE/ NOTTINGHAMSHIRE ROYAL LONDON ONE DAY CUP

Post by guildfordbat Thu 18 Aug 2022, 11:08 pm

Cheers, JimBob. Agree with you about Barnwell and Lloyd missing out but I think Gumbs will play. He was impressive on Wednesday, never cocky but always looked as if he knew what he was doing and also ran well between the wickets. Maybe Majid to be given a break.

guildfordbat

jimbobgooner likes this post

Back to top Go down

SURREY VS GLOUCESTERSHIRE/ NOTTINGHAMSHIRE ROYAL LONDON ONE DAY CUP  Empty Re: SURREY VS GLOUCESTERSHIRE/ NOTTINGHAMSHIRE ROYAL LONDON ONE DAY CUP

Post by Voice of the Beehive Fri 19 Aug 2022, 9:45 am

Gumbs has just started to get his teeth into the competition so I hope they give him another game.
I’ll get my coat.

Voice of the Beehive

alfie and jimbobgooner like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Fri 19 Aug 2022, 10:42 am

Steel in for Virdi must be the end for him now. Surrey win toss and bat

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sat 20 Aug 2022, 1:59 am

With 20 overs left Surrey were on 181 for 3 and then went on score just 111 more runs.
That was where the game was lost, Gumbs and Reifer did not have a clue how to play spin too many overs between them only going for 2 or 3 leaving too much pressure on Lawes and Kimber when they finally did come in.

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon 22 Aug 2022, 2:53 pm

jimbobgooner wrote:With 20 overs left Surrey were on 181 for 3 and then went on score just 111 more runs.
That was where the game was lost, Gumbs and Reifer did not have a clue how to play spin too many overs between them only going for 2 or 3 leaving too much pressure on Lawes and Kimber when they finally did come in.

Good points there, JimBob. I think I've mentioned before that Reifer doesn't always get going but even when he does, it takes him a long time to do so!

I was also again unimpressed with Geddes' captaincy. With 11 overs left, Gloucs needed 47 more but with only 3 wickets left and with Price and Smith at the wicket having scored just 2 runs between them. I would have then hit them with pace and seam -  Lawes (3 still to bowl), McKerr (4) and Dunn (5) were always going to be underbowled by one over from that point even if the game went full distance. The game had actually seemed almost certain to finish with around 2 overs to spare for some time whoever won as Gloucs were well up with the run rate from an early stage. Instead, Geddes stuck with Majid and bowled him out which I regarded as a mistake. Yes, Majid picked up 3 wickets in his full spell but they were taken when Gloucs were really trying to get after him. Once they were 7 down but only needing a tad above 4 an over, they had the option to play out decent balls, push ok ones for singles and slog any bad one to or over the rope. They did just that and were more settled when seam was on at both ends.

On a more positive note, Lawes looks a cut above most others in this year's RL50.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Mon 22 Aug 2022, 4:08 pm

guildfordbat wrote:
jimbobgooner wrote:With 20 overs left Surrey were on 181 for 3 and then went on score just 111 more runs.

Good points there, JimBob. I think I've mentioned before that Reifer doesn't always get going but even when he does, it takes him a long time to do so!

I was also again unimpressed with Geddes' captaincy. With 11 overs left, Gloucs needed 47 more but with only 3 wickets left and with Price and Smith at the wicket having scored just 2 runs between them. I would have then hit them with pace and seam -  Lawes (3 still to bowl), McKerr (4) and Dunn (5) were always going to be underbowled by one over from that point even if the game went full distance. The game had actually seemed almost certain to finish with around 2 overs to spare for some time whoever won as Gloucs were well up with the run rate from an early stage. Instead, Geddes stuck with Majid and bowled him out which I regarded as a mistake. Yes, Majid picked up 3 wickets in his full spell but they were taken when Gloucs were really trying to get after him. Once they were 7 down but only needing a tad above 4 an over, they had the option to play out decent balls, push ok ones for singles and slog any bad one to or over the rope. They did just that and were more settled when seam was on at both ends.

On a more positive note, Lawes looks a cut above most others in this year's RL50.
Totally agree on Majid, he should never been allowed to bowl his full allocation. Geddes captaincy throughout the competition has been poor if only Burns could have been bothered to get off he's sunbed Rolling Eyes

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Mon 22 Aug 2022, 4:10 pm

Same 14 for Nottinghamshire
Maybe one last game for Virdi and a debut for Lloyd

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon 22 Aug 2022, 5:03 pm

jimbobgooner wrote:Same 14 for Nottinghamshire

Shades of Botham the pundit there, JimBob! Two coming in but no one going out as we try to play 13!  Wink

My guess? Maybe Barnwell getting another go with Kimber missing out. Otherwise, same as for the last game.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Mon 22 Aug 2022, 5:24 pm

guildfordbat wrote:
jimbobgooner wrote:Same 14 for Nottinghamshire

Shades of Botham the pundit there, JimBob! Two coming in but no one going out as we try to play 13!  Wink

My guess? Maybe Barnwell getting another go with Kimber missing out. Otherwise, same as for the last game.
best chance of winning Wink

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue 23 Aug 2022, 10:58 am

Notts win toss and bowl. Surrey unchanged from Gloucs game.

Brett Hutton who played on loan for us against the Sri Lanka kiddies at Guildford is ripping up trees atm for Notts in the RL50. A sevefer against Leics the other day.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue 23 Aug 2022, 11:49 am

Looking like an early finish. 

Surrey 31/4 after the first powerplay. Hutton with 2/10 off 5 and Pettman 2/14 off 4.

Blake top scored with 12 but just gone. Seems wrong to have three of the least experienced batters (Blake, Gumbs and Reifer) together at 4, 5 and 6 while the more experienced (Geddes, Patel and Steel) take the top 3 spots.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue 23 Aug 2022, 1:03 pm

Adding a bit of respectability but I doubt much more.

142/6 off 31. Lawes there on 59. His fourth consecutive half ton.  clap

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue 23 Aug 2022, 1:38 pm

181 all out. Surrey leave more than 10 overs out there. Hard to tell which is worse - us or their stream!

Check the petrol and the satnav for the way back, JimBob.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Tue 23 Aug 2022, 1:55 pm

Notts opener Budinger absolute wallops it. He could easily be gone in the first over, or the game could be finished promptly if he bats for a few overs.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue 23 Aug 2022, 2:32 pm

JDizzle wrote:Notts opener Budinger absolute wallops it. He could easily be gone in the first over, or the game could be finished promptly if he bats for a few overs.

Good call, JD. Budinger now gone but he made 32 off 20 with 3 fours and 2 sixes. Given Surrey's low score, that sets Notts nicely on their way.

guildfordbat

JDizzle likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Tue 23 Aug 2022, 4:20 pm

Dreadful performance mad
questions that need to be asked
1. why was the club captain allowed to take over a month off?
2. why was Ben Foakes not chosen for the first four games, sure the ECB didn't make that decision.
3. why was no overseas player brought in, after Tim David showed what a success it can be and proven by the likes of Sussex and Warwickshire etc this year.
4. if the club have no interest in trying to win this competition anymore will it result in a decrease in the price of the T20 membership next season?

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down