The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Super Saturday, Game 1: Italy v Wales

+65
englandglory4ever
wayne
gavstar
The Bachelor
Steve_rugby
WELL-PAST-IT
sportform
No 7&1/2
stub
LeinsterFan4life
Geordie
Hood83
mystiroakey
nobbled
JmD
kunu
Pot Hale
ME-109
tigertattie
Steffan
quinsforever
Seagultaf
Pete330v2
BamBam
bluestonevedder
TightHEAD
Golden
TheRugbyMaster
HQ matt
The Saint
Rory_Gallagher
nathan
wolfball
glamorganalun
Heaf
Breadvan
majesticimperialman
Nachos Jones_1
Notch
MarcusHalberstram
GavinDragon
Cyril
RubyGuby
lostinwales
asoreleftshoulder
Cardiff Dave
Gwlad
Luckless Pedestrian
maestegmafia
Comfort
JDizzle
PenfroPete
LondonTiger
aqualung71
jimmyinthewell68
Jhamer25
LordDowlais
bedfordwelsh
Tattie Scones RRN
Lowlandbrit
SecretFly
ScarletSpiderman
Exiledinborders
funnyExiledScot
George Carlin
69 posters

Page 11 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11

Go down

Super Saturday, Game 1: Italy v Wales - Page 11 Empty Super Saturday, Game 1: Italy v Wales

Post by George Carlin Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:33 am

First topic message reminder :

Super Saturday, Game 1: Italy v Wales - Page 11 Italy_10 Super Saturday, Game 1: Italy v Wales - Page 11 Wales_10
ITALY v WALES
Saturday 21 March 2015
KO: 13:30 (local)/12:30 (UK/Ireland)
Stadio Olimpico, Rome

Referee: Chris Pollock (NZR)
AR1: JP Doyle (RFU)
AR2: Luke Pearce (RFU)
TMO: Simon McDowell (IRFU)

A. Teams

ITALY
Super Saturday, Game 1: Italy v Wales - Page 11 Sophia10
Luke McClean (Sale Sharks); Leonardo Sarto (Zebre Rugby), Luca Morisi (Benetton Treviso), Andrea Masi (London Wasps), Giovambattista Venditti (Zebre Rugby); Kelly Haimona (Zebre Rugby), Edoardo Gori (Benetton Treviso); 1 Michele Rizzo (Leicester Tigers), Leonardo Ghiraldini (Leicester Tigers, capt), Martin Castrogiovanni (RT Toulon), George Biagi (Zebre Rugby), Joshua Furno (Newcastle Falcons), Francesco Minto (Benetton Treviso), Mauro Bergamasco (Zebre Rugby), Samuela VUNISA (Zebre Rugby)

Replacements: Andrea Manici (Zebre Rugby), Alberto De Marchi (Sale Sharks), Dario Chistolini (Zebre Rugby), Quintin Geldenhuys (Zebre Rugby), Robert Barbieri (Leicester Tigers), Guglielmo Palazzini (Zebre Rugby), Luciano Orquera (Zebre Rugby), Enrico Bacchin (Benetton Treviso).

WALES
Super Saturday, Game 1: Italy v Wales - Page 11 Kathje10
Leigh Halfpenny (Toulon); George North (Northampton Saints), Jonathan Davies (ASM Clermont Auvergne), Jamie Roberts (Racing Metro), Liam Williams (Scarlets); Dan Biggar (Ospreys), Rhys Webb (Ospreys); Rob Evans (Scarlets), Scott Baldwin (Ospreys), Aaron Jarvis (Ospreys), Luke Charteris (Racing Metro), Alun Wyn Jones (Ospreys), Dan Lydiate (Ospreys), Sam Warburton (Cardiff Blues, capt), Taulupe Faletau (Newport Gwent Dragons).

Replacements: Ken Owens (Scarlets), Rhys Gill (Saracens), Scott Andrews (Cardiff Blues), Jake Ball (Scarlets), Justin Tipuric (Ospreys), Gareth Davies (Scarlets), Rhys Priestland (Scarlets), Scott Williams (Scarlets).

B. Head to Head

15 Played 15

2 Wins 12

12 Losses 2

1 Draws 1

19 Tries 49

12 Conversions 40

31 Penalties 45

4 Drop Goals 1

224 Points 463

Last edited by George Carlin on Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:06 am; edited 3 times in total
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Super Saturday, Game 1: Italy v Wales - Page 11 Empty Re: Super Saturday, Game 1: Italy v Wales

Post by Cardiff Dave Sun Mar 22, 2015 5:20 pm

Griff wrote:
Cardiff Dave wrote:
Griff wrote:Minus a few very important players. You mark my words.

That's good though isn't it since it will help bring the benchers up to speed. We'll need them I reckon considering we have England an Oz in our group who have been there, done it, got the t-shirt, etc.

You misunderstand me. I mean we'll be minus some important players for the whole world cup beacuse we'll lose a few to injury during the pre-world cup Ireland bloodbath. So the benchers will be first choice and then we'll have some right old so and so's on the bench Rolling Eyes

The same "important players" could get injured next week playing for their clubs.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Super Saturday, Game 1: Italy v Wales - Page 11 Empty Re: Super Saturday, Game 1: Italy v Wales

Post by quinsforever Sun Mar 22, 2015 5:25 pm

Cardiff Dave wrote:
quinsforever wrote:understandably from your perspective

england france best game for me

best game in the last 10 years in NH rugby

England v France was great, but it was all about how many rather than just winning. Wales v Ireland was different. Yesterday was a bit mad. Enjoyable and I hope it happens again, but still mad.
very true. totally agree. totally changes the mentality of the teams. good fun for spectators if a little stressful!

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 22, 2015 5:47 pm

Cardiff Dave wrote:
Griff wrote:
Cardiff Dave wrote:
Griff wrote:Minus a few very important players. You mark my words.

That's good though isn't it since it will help bring the benchers up to speed. We'll need them I reckon considering we have England an Oz in our group who have been there, done it, got the t-shirt, etc.

You misunderstand me. I mean we'll be minus some important players for the whole world cup beacuse we'll lose a few to injury during the pre-world cup Ireland bloodbath. So the benchers will be first choice and then we'll have some right old so and so's on the bench Rolling Eyes

The same "important players" could get injured next week playing for their clubs.

I know, I know. But it's March now. They've got a good chance of recovering by the World Cup if injured for club next week. However, playing a top 3 side in the off season (August), 4 weeks before the word cup, and a side that is a bit of a grudge side at the moment, is asking for trouble. I know all teams are doing it so the risk is there for everyone. But I just have a gut feeling we'll lose Roberts or Lee (if not already) or North or AWJ. Someone really important. Just a feeling. BUT, Sod's law we'll actually lose someone to Italy in the last warm up game!

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:06 pm

thumbsup Lee and AWJ would be worries if injured, we have quality cover for Roberts and the others IMO -

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:11 pm

I think Charteris has become as important as Adam Jones used to be to us. Without him I reckon our lineout will fall to sh*t again. That said, Baldwin and AWJ worked really well for us there too. I also think Baldwin is also a good carrier and better than Hibbard on the push in the scrum. Didn't think I'd see the day that Hibbard became surplus to requirements.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:13 pm

Cover to start the matches, Ruby, but games and tournaments are won by depth. If Roberts is out then Scott Williams starts so who goes on the bench? I know it's all guess work and ifs and buts, BUT (!) we need to be careful. I don't want Priestland, for example, being no.1 no.10 as Biggar was lost during the 'Battle of Dublin' 4 weeks earlier in the pre World Cup non event.

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:24 pm

thumbsup Griff - I think we have a raft of quality backs even if a little raw - Priestland will not be in the RWC squad IMO. Halom Amos and Corey Allen for example are both class IMO - We need to blood a couple in the warm ups and perhaps keep AWJ under wraps alongside Warburton who is starting to fulfil what we all knew after so many injuries.

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:24 pm

The Saint wrote:I think Charteris has become as important as Adam Jones used to be to us. Without him I reckon our lineout will fall to sh*t again. That said, Baldwin and AWJ worked really well for us there too. I also think Baldwin is also a good carrier and better than Hibbard on the push in the scrum. Didn't think I'd see the day that Hibbard became surplus to requirements.

This is very true. I've been impressed by Baldwin.

And Charteris. So glad he's becoming an international force and reaching his potential. I've followed his development as a Newport and Dragons fan. I remember the rumours that he had vertigo as a reason he couldn't jump in the lineout when he used to call the Dragons lineouts but never called them to himself! I also remember his bad toe which seemed to keep him out for far too long for such an innocuous sounding injury. But also remember him running in a try from near the half way line like a Giraffe on speed! He put some meat on his bones in recent times which makes him a bit of a force, even if he doesn't look it (about 20 stone apparently!).

True story: I saw a little old lady a few years back asking him to get something from the top shelf in the bread isle of Sainsburys! Wish I took a photo. He could have reached the next Isle to be honest!

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Sun Mar 22, 2015 7:02 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
LondonTiger wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:
The tournament was lost by taking our foot off the gas in the first game. We should have been winning a fifth championship with a fourth Grand Slam in a decade yesterday.

I keep seeing posts like this. Maybe, just maybe England came out after half time and played well? ah no, silly me it was because Wales stopped playing.

Considering Wales played at a higher level in all but the forty minutes in question, You have to agree that Wales took their foot off the gas and cost themselves a grandslam.

Something that they seem to have learnt from well as their hve been consistent improvements since that second half in Cardiff.

Explain the first 40 against Italy then?

Wales played some good stuff, but all this we lost the GS stuff reeks of the arrogance often aimed at our side of the dyke (SecretFly I do not mean the lesbian variety).

England beat Wales, Ireland beat england and Wales beat Ireland. Credit in all 3 games shoudl be given to the winning team.

What we have there are 3 teams who could do well in the World Cup, but should they meet each other could very easily be knocked out.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Sun Mar 22, 2015 7:03 pm

Yeah back-up centre will likely be Cory Allen. I'd still like to see Roberts and S.Williams start at centre together, JD2 is not a starter for me. The three 10s for the RWC will be the ones who are there now, there's a chance we'll also see Hook come back in (hopefully not) and perhaps O.Williams as an outside bet. I agree on Priestland, I think I've been quite vocal on my reasoning for a while so I won't go back over it.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Sun Mar 22, 2015 7:08 pm

The Saint wrote:Yeah back-up centre will likely be Cory Allen. I'd still like to see Roberts and S.Williams start at centre together, JD2 is not a starter for me. The three 10s for the RWC will be the ones who are there now, there's a chance we'll also see Hook come back in (hopefully not) and perhaps O.Williams as an outside bet. I agree on Priestland, I think I've been quite vocal on my reasoning for a while so I won't go back over it.

Williams is currently expected to be out till November/December.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Sun Mar 22, 2015 7:13 pm

Ah, guess we can forget about that then. If it wasn't for our poaching of Anscombe and Francis I think we might be in deep trouble come RWC time.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Sun Mar 22, 2015 7:13 pm

LondonTiger wrote:
The Saint wrote:Yeah back-up centre will likely be Cory Allen. I'd still like to see Roberts and S.Williams start at centre together, JD2 is not a starter for me. The three 10s for the RWC will be the ones who are there now, there's a chance we'll also see Hook come back in (hopefully not) and perhaps O.Williams as an outside bet. I agree on Priestland, I think I've been quite vocal on my reasoning for a while so I won't go back over it.

Williams is currently expected to be out till November/December.

Gatland will cryo-incubate him in a saline solution at 20,000 feet somewhere in the Himalayas. Some old Tibetan Healer guy he met gave him the tip some years ago. It brings back players in quarter the time.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Sun Mar 22, 2015 7:52 pm

Steve_rugby wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:

I seriously doubt that england would beat Wales if they re-played.

I don't. They would convincingly beat Wales again. They just didn't turn up for the first 40 minutes, once they did, they convincingly beat Wales.

No they wouldn't

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon Mar 23, 2015 2:01 am

maestegmafia wrote:
Steve_rugby wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:
If Ireland replayed Wales next week the result would be the same, Wales would win convincingly again.

Convincingly ? Really ? Do you really believe the garbage you type? Mind you, If England played Wales again next week, the result would be an even bigger convincing win for England.

I seriously doubt that England would beat Wales if they re-played.

Laugh Laugh Laugh

Oh the hilarity!

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon Mar 23, 2015 5:20 am

That final saturday proves we need to change the 6 nations scoring system..because i cant see us seeing that again for ages unless we are forced to playing like that

I predicted england would win the 6 nations by winning all there games apart from ireland away- however having italy and scotland at home would give us the points advantage- basically the exact reverse of last year. I dont think we put enough on italy or scotland to do that- simple as that.

Anyway- We need to award bonus points for tries. the england france game had 12 tries . We need to keep this up somehow.

also in most sports that award the winner that finishes on the same points in a round robin the games points differential is only between the teams that are on the same amount of points.

We all knew the rules going in- So well played Ireland - but there could be a few changes to the format.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 23, 2015 5:29 am

I think if all teams are tied on the same tournament points (8 this year) then they should look to see who has beaten the team at the top. So congratulations Wales! Winners of the 2015 6N!

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon Mar 23, 2015 5:31 am

Griff wrote:I think if all teams are tied on the same tournament points (8 this year) then they should look to see who has beaten the team at the top.  So congratulations Wales!  Winners of the 2015 6N!

So england get 2014 then Wink

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 23, 2015 5:33 am

Well, ummmm, yes I guess they do! Whistle

Back to top Go down

Post by Heaf Mon Mar 23, 2015 5:45 am

Griff wrote:I think if all teams are tied on the same tournament points (8 this year) then they should look to see who has beaten the team at the top.  So congratulations Wales!  Winners of the 2015 6N!

But then then Wales would be top and England beat them ... oh hold on then England would be top and Ireland beat them ... Very Happy

Heaf

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:31 am

RubyGuby wrote:thumbsup
maestegmafia wrote:
LondonTiger wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:
The tournament was lost by taking our foot off the gas in the first game. We should have been winning a fifth championship with a fourth Grand Slam in a decade yesterday.

I keep seeing posts like this. Maybe, just maybe England came out after half time and played well? ah no, silly me it was because Wales stopped playing.

Considering Wales played at a higher level in all but the forty minutes in question, You have to agree that Wales took their foot off the gas and cost themselves a grandslam.

Something that they seem to have learnt from well as their hve been consistent improvements since that second half in Cardiff.

I thought England bossed this game for the 80 minutes. Apart from an opportunistic try early on we were hanging in there all game. I was actaully dreading the 2nd half as the writing was on the wall. For me this has more to do with many key players playing little rugby, note John Davies, Warburton, Roberts and others, they have had little continuous intensity for 2-3 months. We were undercooked and well off the pace. England were far superior on the day in every department IMO.

The writing was on the wall from 12 months ago though

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/international/england/10701681/Six-Nations-2014-England-vow-in-Rome-that-2015-will-be-our-year.html

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:16 am

Not read back through all the posts but whats the view on how Jarvis went? Personally thought he done better than most of us expected, Rob Evans seemed to struggle a bit more than I was expecting even if he was up against Castro. The scrum seemed a lot more stable when Gill came on and Owens looked really hungry.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:18 am

bedford he is not up to it at this level in the scrum.

I was surprised at how poor Rob Evans went against castro. However castro was binding illegally on his arm throughout the first half.

I like Gill as a player and can't understand why no welsh region has picked him up and he is not in the squad more often.

Owen looked like a man determined to get his jersey back

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:25 am

GavinDragon wrote:bedford he is not up to it at this level in the scrum.

I was surprised at how poor Rob Evans went against castro. However castro was binding illegally on his arm throughout the first half.

I like Gill as a player and can't understand why no welsh region has picked him up and he is not in the squad more often.

Owen looked like a man determined to get his jersey back

GD,

I thought he went ok but was quite high up in the ground so always hard to judge. Given Evans has been in great form for Scarlets I think we have to stick with him and give him time.

As for Gill wasn't he linked with the Blues a while back and I know he had nasty leg injury then became second choice at Sarries but hopefully now he will be used more.

We now have Owens, Baldwin and Hibbard battling it out for the hooker spot then the likes of Dacey and Dee to come through so not to bad in that area.

I really think we should have capped Francis this weekend but Gatland obviously sees something in Andrews that we miss.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:24 pm

mystiroakey wrote:That final saturday proves we need to change the 6 nations scoring system..because i cant see us seeing that again for ages unless we are forced to playing like that.

There wasn't a bonus-point system in place this year and three teams were 'forced to play like that'. Where's the need for bonus points?

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:25 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
LondonTiger wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:

What a load of bullocks.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11