The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Brits Abroad: Froch, Haye, Rhodes and Macklin.

+14
Mr Bounce
Seanusarrilius
Young_Towzer
Liam_Main
Gerflagenflople
88Chris05
Boxtthis
The Galveston Giant
Valero's Conscience
Fists of Fury
DoubleD22
Steffan
TRUSSMAN66
Scottrf
18 posters

Go down

Brits Abroad: Froch, Haye, Rhodes and Macklin. Empty Brits Abroad: Froch, Haye, Rhodes and Macklin.

Post by Scottrf Wed 25 May 2011, 12:40 pm

A feature in this months Boxing Monthly has experts ranking the chances of 4 of Britain's boxers in their upcoming world title fights, all away from home.

Pick your winners, percentage splits and methods.

Carl Froch vs Glen Johnson. 4th June, Atlantic City, USA.
80:20

Enough has been said about Froch's run of fights so I wont go into too much detail except to say I think each has taught him something different, which he can use in this fight. To keep his head and box to a gameplan (Abraham), to stay busy if he wants a decision (Kessler), the confidence to not lose his head if he goes behind (Taylor) and changing a brawl into a boxing match (Pascal).

Another impressive victory for Johnson against Green, but someone who is a level or two below the top guys of the tournament. Glen comes to fight and is durable, but has shown he is able to be outboxed by most of his better opposition, if never easily. He will try and make it into a shootout and work his way inside, but Froch can box at range and use his jab and reach to build points, while waiting for his opportunity to throw combinations.

Froch decision.

David Haye vs Wladimir Klitchsko. 2nd July, Hamburg, Germany.
40:60

Klitschko's main asset will be his jab. Haye knows this so his strategy will focus on taking his jab away. I think his strategy will revolve around feints/threats to make Wlad think he is about to unload, draw the jab and slip it to get inside to land his powershots. This will make it a very cagey opening to the fight, as Haye's often are (and Wlad's almost always are) when he is fearful of the other guy's power; Enzo, Harrison etc. The fight centres around range control. Klitschko controls distance well with a powerful jab and large reach, with short shots inside (usually the overhand right) to punish you if you rush in carelessly, or clinching.

This clinching may be a large part of Wlad's gameplan. As the larger man he may try to wear Haye down by holding, as Haye's stamina is questioned, rightly or wrongly after gassing against Thompson so long ago. His fights have rarely gone far so it's hard to assess whether his stamina has improved. I can't see this being too important; Haye landed so many powershots against Thompson it was a miracle he was standing. The lateral movement will tire him but he will be in condition and wont have an effect unless he gets caught too often.

It's highly likely there will be a knockdown; body have questionable resistance and good power. Make no mistake, Haye has Heavyweight power, Ruiz has rarely been down in his career and Haye put him on his bum moving backward, and even staggered man mountain Valuev. However, Haye has shown me he is better able to cope with adversity. Against Mormeck he got tagged, but sensibly took a knee and regained his composure. Against Barrett he started sloppy and was put down but got back up to win. Contrast to Wlad who doesn't seem able to clear his head after getting knocked down, and Haye is the better finisher.

A jab is a lot more effective against a static target, as so many of Wladimir's opponents have been. But if Haye gets caught, you can expect the sledgehammer of a straight right following it. The fight will be more open than the bigger guy would like, and I can see him in trouble at times. But I can see his power making Haye wary enough that the opportunities aren't regular enough for Haye to earn a decision, and pick Wlad to be standing at the final bell. Seems intuitive that there will be a knockout with each guy having power and a suspect chin, but have been toying with the decision too. (As a side note, everyone who has been on the cover of Fight Night has lost their next fight).

Klitchsko late stoppage.

Ryan Rhodes vs Saul Alvarez. 18th June, Guadalajara, Mexico.
35:65.

Seems a tough ask, away in Mexico against Goldenboy's Goldenboy. Alvarez had a fairly comfortable win last time out against Matthew Hatton in a peashooter vs cannon contest, but one in which his was outboxed for large periods, and only seemed to fight one minute of each round. A big knockout of Baldomir proved he does have some power, and his questionable defence has shown his chin to be good. Not the most rounded boxer, but makes good use of his physicality and is a good bodypuncher. Ryan's fight against Messi had people thinking he may be back to his best, but I believe was slightly overrated against a solid but not exactly dangerous opponent. Ryan had a quick blow out against Rocky Junior last time out (didn't catch it), but 2 rounds in a year has me wondering if he may suffer from ring rust, against an active boxer with 36 rounds under his belt in the same time.

Should be a exciting fight, you don't have to look for either so it should be a tear up from the start. I expect Ryan to have success in the same way Hatton did, but without the size advantage Canelo enjoyed his punches wont have the same effect and he will have to be more wary of the return fire. Alvarez to up his activity from that bout and fight full rounds to a 2-4 round points win in a competitive fight, in which I wouldn't be surprised if he suffers a knockdown.

Alvarez decision.

Matthew Macklin vs Felix Sturm. 25th June, Cologne, Germany.
20:80.

Macklin is a inconsistent performer, and laboured to a win last time out against a common opponent outboxed easily by the German. Macklin seems easy to catch and while durable I don't see him having the skills to trouble Sturm. Coming after a fight at the Magnificent 7 where he failed to impress, I'm not convinced either of his form leading up to his biggest fight. With so many trainers, he seems to lack consistency.

Sturm isn't the most exciting but is dependable. He may be a stay at home boxer, but he has faced the better standard of opposition, and won more impressively. With home advantage, I see little chance of Sturm losing. Behind the jab, and with a tight defence I think he can keep Macklin off him and rack up points.

Sturm decision.

TLDR: Froch wins, Haye, Rhodes and Macklin lose.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Brits Abroad: Froch, Haye, Rhodes and Macklin. Empty Re: Brits Abroad: Froch, Haye, Rhodes and Macklin.

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 25 May 2011, 12:43 pm

Froch by decision
Hayer by 4th round stoppage
Alvarez by decision
Sturm late ko...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Brits Abroad: Froch, Haye, Rhodes and Macklin. Empty Re: Brits Abroad: Froch, Haye, Rhodes and Macklin.

Post by Steffan Wed 25 May 2011, 12:45 pm

Froch UD
Klitchsko UD
Alvarez TKO 9th/10th Round
Macklin classes himself as Irish

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 25 May 2011, 12:46 pm

The op classes him as British okay.....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleD22 Wed 25 May 2011, 12:54 pm

Froch UD
Haye TKO 6/7
Alvarez TKO 10
Strum UD

DoubleD22

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Wed 25 May 2011, 12:57 pm

Froch UD
Haye KO6
Alvarez KO10
Sturm KO9

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Wed 25 May 2011, 12:58 pm

Froch UD - 70/30
Klit TKO - 60/40
Alvarez UD/unfair TKO - 85/15 (would be less if wasn't in Mexico for a Mexican belt)
Sturm UD - 70/30

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 25 May 2011, 1:03 pm

What is..... unfair tko????

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Wed 25 May 2011, 1:09 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:What is..... unfair tko????

Rhodes knocks the guy out cold but the referee stops the fight as even though Rhodes is on his feet he is clearly in not fit state to continue.....I think

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Wed 25 May 2011, 1:16 pm

Chavez/Taylor?
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by Boxtthis Wed 25 May 2011, 1:18 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:What is..... unfair tko???

He KOs him with a half brick....totally unfair.

Boxtthis

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Wed 25 May 2011, 1:19 pm

I mean an early stoppage by ref when Rhodes still on his feet and not that badly hurt. Not a dig at Mexican fights as happens in all countries and favours home fighters or the favourite, including UK.

Degales stoppage over Smith is an example where I thought it was early.

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Wed 25 May 2011, 1:29 pm

Froch-Johnson, 70:30. Think Froch takes a fairly comfortable decision.

Haye-Klitschko, 40:60. Haye to stop Klitschko on his feet in the latter rounds, for me.

Rhodes-Alvarez, 20:80. Wouldn't be such a wide margin in the ratio if it were outside of Mexico, but all the same I think Alvarez wins by a wide decision.

Macklin-Sturm, 30:70. I'm no fan of Sturm, but not all that sold on Macklin, either. Think Barker would beat him, and I think Sturm is too good for him too, even allowing for the fact that he's liable to get the nod regardless of what Macklin does. Sturm to win eight of the twelve rounds.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerflagenflople Wed 25 May 2011, 1:30 pm

My fight night round 4 had Ali and Tyson on it....

Gerflagenflople

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 25 May 2011, 1:31 pm

unfair tko......

Mum comes in the ring with a stiletto when you are being slammed on the ropes...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Wed 25 May 2011, 1:34 pm

Gerflagenflople wrote:My fight night round 4 had Ali and Tyson on it....
Oops! But they both lost their last fight!

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam_Main Wed 25 May 2011, 4:01 pm

Froch UD- 75/25
Klitchsko TKO late- 60/40
Alvarez TKO late- 80/20
Sturm UD- 65/35
Liam_Main
Liam_Main

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000094431208

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Wed 25 May 2011, 6:13 pm

Froch UD
Haye KO In 5, mind changes on fight all the time though!
Alvarez TKO In 8, Dont rate Rhodes, at all!
Sturm UD. But Macklin could stop him hope so as im Irish!

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Wed 25 May 2011, 8:38 pm

froch ud
alverez lopsided decision that does not reflect the actulal trouble he might have
sturm late tko cos macklin is euro class
Haye v Klit.... i dont know

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Wed 25 May 2011, 8:39 pm

Seanusarrilius wrote:froch ud
alverez lopsided decision that does not reflect the actulal trouble he might have
Get off the fence, I don't know either!

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Wed 25 May 2011, 8:53 pm

Froch UD - he ain't gonna stop Glenn
Haye TKO Wlad making him do the chicken dance in the 5th.
Sturm TKO Macklin in 4 (Macklin not good enough)
Rhodes TKO8 Alvarez - too many believing the hype in a BIG upset Shocked

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Wed 25 May 2011, 9:17 pm

Froch UD he is just to young for Johnson but I don't see him having the power to KO the big guy.
Klitchko UD Think this is going to be an awful fight with Wlad jabbing Haye for 12 rounds and winning by a very wide margin.
Sturm TKO 6 Macklin is Euro class Sturm is Wold class.
Alvarez UD Just to good for Rhodes who is unlucky his shot is coming against the Golden Boy of GBP in his own living room.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Wed 25 May 2011, 9:59 pm

Scottrf wrote:
Seanusarrilius wrote:froch ud
Get off the fence, I don't know either!

ok scott i will, screw it, Haye KO in 5

i cant bet against him

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by wow_junky Wed 25 May 2011, 10:11 pm

Froch 80 - 20 Johnson

Froch comfortable UD

Macklin 20 - 80 Sturm

Macklin will show his level here, Sturm wide UD

Rhodes 10 - 90 Alvarez

Don't rate Rhodes win over Moore that much, he was almost out of it at one point. I can see Alvarez stopping him late on.

Haye - 4 - 96 Wlad

Wlad by KO the first time he lands a right hand...

wow_junky

Back to top Go down

Post by samevans1 Thu 26 May 2011, 9:09 am

Froch by easyish decision.
Sturm by easy decision. Think macklin is vastly overrated and the German has very good fundamentals.
Alvarez over Rhodes in a close, possibly controversial decision. I'm not sold on the Mexican at all; think he is a hype job. But I believe if this is remotely close, then the Mexican gets the nod.

Change my mind about Haye-Klitschko all the time; finding it really hard to pick a winner. But hell, I dunno, Haye TKO 7.

samevans1

Back to top Go down

Post by samevans1 Thu 26 May 2011, 9:48 am

http://www.boxingscene.com/carl-froch-glen-johnson-telephone-conference-quotes--39583

Here is Froch and Johnson talking about their upcoming fight. Some quite interesting quotes.

samevans1

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Phenom Thu 26 May 2011, 9:58 am

Froch easy UD

Sturm easy UD

The Rhodes Alvarez is so hard to call, my heart says Rhodes will frustrate him and may get a late ko after all alvarez was shook to the bone by a career lightweight. However my head says this will be a scruffy fight and Alvarez will pull out an unconvincing win leaving more questions about him.

Klitscko is the clear favourite however David Haye has always risen to the occasion and the more I think about it how is Wlad gonna cope with the difference in speed from his previous opponents. I think Haye will pull off the upset and KO Wlad. Plus i'll be in Hamburg to watch it happen Smile

The_Phenom

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Thu 26 May 2011, 10:15 am

The Rhodes Alvarez is so hard to call, my heart says Rhodes will frustrate him and may get a late ko after all alvarez was shook to the bone by a career lightweight. However my head says this will be a scruffy fight and Alvarez will pull out an unconvincing win leaving more questions about him.

Klitscko is the clear favourite however David Haye has always risen to the occasion and the more I think about it how is Wlad gonna cope with the difference in speed from his previous opponents. I think Haye will pull off the upset and KO Wlad. Plus i'll be in Hamburg to watch it happen

Gotta be honest i think Alvarez destroys any Ryan Rhodes throughout his career or who turns up next month, i have never rated the fragile Rhodes and everytime i've watched him nothing's changed, he was absolutely awful against Jamie Coyle, fair enough he beat Moore who i liked but that was a dead at the weight Moore, he was iced in 3 rounds by world class fighters in Jason Matthews and Lee Blundell, obviouslu future hall of famers but never mind. Alvarez late stoppage after boxing his head off.

The Haye fights definitely a 50.50 in my eyes

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Thu 26 May 2011, 1:25 pm

Expert picks on Haye Fight:
Freddy Roach: Haye
Al Bernstein: Klitchsko
Steve Cunningham: Klitchsko
Bob Arum: Klitchsko
Johnny Tapia: Fence sitter.
Nazim Richardson: Fence sitter
Mayweather Sr: Klitchsko
Bert Sugar: Fence sitter
Lou DiBella: Klitchsko

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down