The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Froch And The Disgusting Betrayal Of The Brits

+19
TopHat24/7
huw
JabMachineMK2
TRUSSMAN66
smashingstormcrow
Adam D
spencerclarke
bhb001
Strongback
BoxingFan88
owen10ozzy
ShahenshahG
jimdig
azania
davidemore
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
ONETWOFOREVER
Sam_London
AlexHuckerby
23 posters

Go down

Froch And The Disgusting Betrayal Of The Brits Empty Froch And The Disgusting Betrayal Of The Brits

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun 19 May 2013, 9:16 pm

Well, what can we say lads?

You think you know someone and then they betray you like this.

http://ringtv.craveonline.com/blog/178935-froch-accuses-brits-of-betrayal

IBF super middleweight holder Carl Froch has let rip at fellow British stars Nathan Cleverly and George Groves, branding the pair virtual traitors for sparring with his opponent this coming Saturday, Mikkel Kessler.
Froch, 35, is livid at Welshman Cleverly, the WBO light heavyweight holder, and English super middleweight contender Groves, after discovering both have been assisting his Danish rival ahead of their eagerly anticipated weekend showdown at the London O2 Arena.
And in a stinging attack, carried in many of the UK Sunday newspapers, the Nottingham man did not hold back as he accused the duo of boxing treason. He also thinks they have done it out of envy.
“The fact Groves and Cleverly have gone out there to help (Kessler) sums up what they are, it shows what they’re about and they’re quite jealous and bitter,” Froch said, according to one report in the Daily Star Sunday. “They would rather go and help a foreign fighter prepare for the biggest fight of my career and I’m a British fighter.
“I wouldn’t help a foreigner prepare for a British fighter. It just shows the state of British boxing in terms of people helping each other.
“George Groves isn’t my friend. Nathan Cleverly isn’t my friend. They can do what they want but they should have a little bit more class and loyalty about them.”
Froch is also unhappy with Groves’ trainer, Adam Booth, who he does count as a good friend, for allowing the sessions with Kessler to happen.

I have to say on this one, Froch, what a boobie.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Froch And The Disgusting Betrayal Of The Brits Empty Re: Froch And The Disgusting Betrayal Of The Brits

Post by Sam_London Sun 19 May 2013, 9:22 pm

Why shouldn't Groves get some good sparring in with Kessler.

All's fair in love and war.

Sam_London

Back to top Go down

Froch And The Disgusting Betrayal Of The Brits Empty Re: Froch And The Disgusting Betrayal Of The Brits

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun 19 May 2013, 9:30 pm

My thoughts exactly Sam.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Sun 19 May 2013, 9:35 pm

Froch is right. This is a Dane coming over to fight a Brit. And you have Brits helping him with his preparations. Froch has the right to feel miffed.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Sun 19 May 2013, 9:39 pm

Can't see the problem

Sparring is just sparring, pro's spar other pro's to improve their game and to get themselves sin the best shape possible

Groves and Clev get quality sparring. Froch may not like it but when he was at their stage of their careers (I know Clev's a champ but he's a poor one and is still young) he would have loved an opportunity to spar someone of Kessler's class

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Sun 19 May 2013, 9:50 pm

Bit off but can't see the problem.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun 19 May 2013, 9:51 pm

The hype for a fight with either has started.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by jimdig Sun 19 May 2013, 9:54 pm

If he has a problem he should fight one of them after Kessler. There is no point in him taking a lesson off ward again. Id like to see him in with groves.

jimdig

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Sun 19 May 2013, 10:13 pm

Yes out of loyalty to froch they should deny themselves experience against a world class fighter. He's just bitter that groves knocked him spark out on April fools day.

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun 19 May 2013, 10:43 pm

ShahenshahG wrote:Yes out of loyalty to froch they should deny themselves experience against a world class fighter. He's just bitter that groves knocked him spark out on April fools day.

Laugh Still can't believe I fell for that so long...

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Sun 19 May 2013, 11:38 pm

Think the issue here lads is the fact that Froch has welcomed them into his previous camps and allowed them to spar with him in the build up to other fights be it his own or theirs...

Obviously difficult call as Kessler does provide the opportunity for World Class sparring however I think a little loyalty to a British fighter who has helped both on the way up (if past sources and statements are to be believed) wouldn't have gone a miss.

As has been said though, either way there would certainly seem to be natural points to build and hype a fight between Froch and either one further down the line!

I was thinking today actually....would love to see a British Blockbuster card next summer! Assuming certain fighters continue unbeaten and things fall into place, Hearn could put on the perhaps the best fight card in British Boxing history:

Barker v Macklin or Barker v Murray or Murray v Macklin (take your pick)

Froch vs Cleverly

Groves vs DeGale Rematch

Frampton vs Quigg

Khan vs Brook

Haye vs Fury

You could put on two huge summer shows dividing the fights between both cards...both cards would sell out huge stadiums and I don't even think anyone would complain should it be PPV.

Promoters and Fighters would make massive sums! Win Win. Make it happen!!

owen10ozzy

http://aviewfrommyarmchair.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam_London Sun 19 May 2013, 11:42 pm

owen10ozzy wrote:Think the issue here lads is the fact that Froch has welcomed them into his previous camps and allowed them to spar with him in the build up to other fights be it his own or theirs...

Obviously difficult call as Kessler does provide the opportunity for World Class sparring however I think a little loyalty to a British fighter who has helped both on the way up (if past sources and statements are to be believed) wouldn't have gone a miss.

As has been said though, either way there would certainly seem to be natural points to build and hype a fight between Froch and either one further down the line!

I was thinking today actually....would love to see a British Blockbuster card next summer! Assuming certain fighters continue unbeaten and things fall into place, Hearn could put on the perhaps the best fight card in British Boxing history:

Great idea but politics would get in the way, and I'm not talking about a possible general election.

Barker v Macklin or Barker v Murray or Murray v Macklin (take your pick)

Froch vs Cleverly

Groves vs DeGale Rematch

Frampton vs Quigg

Khan vs Brook

Haye vs Fury

You could put on two huge summer shows dividing the fights between both cards...both cards would sell out huge stadiums and I don't even think anyone would complain should it be PPV.

Promoters and Fighters would make massive sums! Win Win. Make it happen!!

Sam_London

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Mon 20 May 2013, 12:29 am

Kessler can spar with whoever he wants, its not going to help him.

Also Fury chiming in with his endless stupidity....

"Froch will lose but get a home town decision"

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Mon 20 May 2013, 1:49 am

Adam Booths a Turk and keeps his lottery winnings in Cyprus. No loyalty to Britain.

Last edited by Strongback on Mon 20 May 2013, 8:07 am; edited 1 time in total

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Mon 20 May 2013, 7:53 am

It's boxing, not a national sport. Froch is wrong to comment on this and just get on with preparing himself the best he can for this fight.

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by spencerclarke Mon 20 May 2013, 8:15 am

I think az has hit the nail on the head with this one. I think its great news as froch is likely to fight one of these two soon. I look forward to that immensely. Can you imagine steffan for froch v cleveley? Epic

spencerclarke

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Mon 20 May 2013, 8:32 am

This is nonsense to be quite honest.

What next?

He has the same skin colour as the opponent so he is a traitor to his race?

Ludicrous. Its nothing to do with patriotism.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by smashingstormcrow Mon 20 May 2013, 12:54 pm

bhb001 wrote:It's boxing, not a national sport. Froch is wrong to comment on this and just get on with preparing himself the best he can for this fight.

This sums up the way I feel too. When I watch a fight, I see two men fighting for themselves - not representing their country. Sure, I generally prefer it when British fighter wins, but it's not really the main reason I watch (unlike the Olympics or international football).

And for someone like Cleverly, who has very little quality on his record, sparring with Kessler is a great opportunity, so why shouldn't he take it?

smashingstormcrow

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 20 May 2013, 1:03 pm

I agree with Froch...........Support the Brit after all you haven't got many good ones....

Apparently Khan handled Manny in sparring........Page handled Tyson..

Doesn't mean anything at the end of the day..........

You have your style and your bad habits and they stay with you......in the heat of the battle.

They could have ignored Kessler's appeal for sparring..

Two things in life that are special.........Your family and your Nationality...

Froch has class.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by JabMachineMK2 Mon 20 May 2013, 1:08 pm

azania wrote:The hype for a fight with either has started.

Give that man a cookie.

Only one who's seen through this article.

Clever Carl.

JabMachineMK2

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 20 May 2013, 1:10 pm

No one knows who Groves or Cleverly are ??

Besides Froch isn't that clever.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by huw Mon 20 May 2013, 1:14 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:I agree with Froch...........Support the Brit after all you haven't got many good ones....

You have your style and your bad habits and they stay with you......in the heat of the battle.

Froch has class.

What nonsense, an opportunity to test yourself against one of the best, behind closed doors.

Nothing more to it than that.

To give up on the opportunity would have been crazy, they will not only get to test themselves against him in the ring but also learn more about the way he trains.

Boxing isn't about nationality, hell I even like some Americans, well as boxers anyway.

huw

Back to top Go down

Post by JabMachineMK2 Mon 20 May 2013, 1:17 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:No one knows who Groves or Cleverly are ??

Besides Froch isn't that clever.

The Welsh know Cleverley

I think its a clever ploy, win or lose he's going to fight one of them at some point - why not build a little pre-match tension?

JabMachineMK2

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 20 May 2013, 1:20 pm

JabMachineMK2 wrote:
azania wrote:The hype for a fight with either has started.

Give that man a cookie.

Only one who's seen through this article.

Clever Carl.

IF he wins this fight, and presuming Ward doesn't take him on in a rematch he should go to 175 to fight Clev. Imagine he'll only come in at 172 himself but I'd still give him a good shout at winning that.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 20 May 2013, 1:37 pm

Don't suppose Groves sparred for free and was well paid for his troubles. As a fighter if you're struggling to secure a big fight them I'm sure one way of supplementing your income is to be a sparring partner. What's Froch going to do, pay Groves' bills for him?

Kessler clearly appreciates the skills that Groves and Cleverley have to offer so I'm sure they were flattered to be asked. However, one has to ask why Froch didn't ask them to assist him in the first place. Doesn't he rate them or is he concerned that, as possible future opponents, they might figure him out early doors?

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 20 May 2013, 1:41 pm

huw wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:I agree with Froch...........Support the Brit after all you haven't got many good ones....

Froch has class.

What nonsense, an opportunity to test yourself against one of the best, behind closed doors.

Nothing more to it than that.

To give up on the opportunity would have been crazy, they will not only get to test themselves against him in the ring but also learn more about the way he trains.

Boxing isn't about nationality, hell I even like some Americans, well as boxers anyway.

Nonsense to you maybe........But Nationality means sack all to you.....So it's no surprise..

99% of people on here want to see khan knocked out and many call Hatton overrated and a slob..

Poor the way you treat heroes..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Makaveli Mon 20 May 2013, 1:52 pm

I think its just a ploy to set up a fight with one of the two to be honest. Truss, isnt it the same with americans? how many americans want to see mayweather or Broner KO'd?

Makaveli

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 20 May 2013, 1:54 pm

We back our boys........generally......

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 20 May 2013, 1:55 pm

DAVE667 wrote:Don't suppose Groves sparred for free and was well paid for his troubles. As a fighter if you're struggling to secure a big fight them I'm sure one way of supplementing your income is to be a sparring partner. What's Froch going to do, pay Groves' bills for him?

Kessler clearly appreciates the skills that Groves and Cleverley have to offer so I'm sure they were flattered to be asked. However, one has to ask why Froch didn't ask them to assist him in the first place. Doesn't he rate them or is he concerned that, as possible future opponents, they might figure him out early doors?

Good point, especially with Groves. Think Froch would fancy himself against an all action fighter like Clev more than a more canny back-foot boxer like Groves, esp if Booth was there to see any of the sparring and work out a gameplan.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 20 May 2013, 1:56 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:We back our boys........generally......

Nobody is doubting Yanks' penchant for blind patriotism/nationalism. We're a little more measured over here that's all.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 20 May 2013, 1:56 pm

Be WARD next for Froch should he beat Kessler.........

Then retirement I imagine.........

Groves has been wasting away with Clev on Boxnation............

Won't gross enough..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 20 May 2013, 2:12 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Be WARD next for Froch should he beat Kessler.........

Then retirement I imagine.........

Groves has been wasting away with Clev on Boxnation............

Won't gross enough..

Except now Groves has left Frank he'll be having his 3rd fight this year on the Froch undercard. Starting to get the exposure now.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 20 May 2013, 2:15 pm

I agree..........Groves is however managed by Booth.......who does have an interesting opinion of his fighters worth..

Why we won't be seeing Vitali-Haye anytime soon.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 20 May 2013, 2:30 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:I agree..........Groves is however managed by Booth.......who does have an interesting opinion of his fighters worth..

Do you not think that if the Vit fight could be made it would?

This is a guy who took Haye to unified CW champ in 21 fights and then helped him to a Wlad fight with no cv worth of it. Sounds like he doesn't mind challenging his men to me.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 20 May 2013, 2:34 pm

Emphasis on.... his fighters worth...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 20 May 2013, 3:28 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:I agree..........Groves is however managed by Booth.......who does have an interesting opinion of his fighters worth..

Do you not think that if the Vit fight could be made it would?

This is a guy who took Haye to unified CW champ in 21 fights and then helped him to a Wlad fight with no cv worth of it. Sounds like he doesn't mind challenging his men to me.
Seems a fair argument

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 20 May 2013, 3:30 pm

i'm talking about money here...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 20 May 2013, 3:51 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:i'm talking about money here...

Ah ok, so you think Booth over-values his fighters? (hence Vit not happening)

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Mon 20 May 2013, 10:17 pm

I dont think this is a ploy from Froch to build a fight down the line. I would be surprised if he was looking past Kessler. Or if he was, I dont know why he would release this right before the fight. I get the impression Froch just says whats on his mind and he probaby genuinely feels that Cleverly and Groves have been disloyal.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Mon 20 May 2013, 10:19 pm

Froch is just a knob

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon 20 May 2013, 10:20 pm

Steffan wrote:Froch is just a knob

I get the feeling you don't want Froch to win. Whistle

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Tue 21 May 2013, 8:08 am

Steffan wrote:Froch is just a knob

I'm getting tired of your fence sitting, Steffan!! Just say what you really believe!

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Tue 21 May 2013, 10:21 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:We back our boys........generally......

Like Lance Armstrong, Marion Jones, Tiger Woods etc etc.......

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 21 May 2013, 11:53 am

WTF????

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Tue 21 May 2013, 8:26 pm

Nathan Cleverly slams "hypocrite" Carl Froch

http://www.boxnation.com/boxing-news/froch-branded-a-hypocrite-by-nathan-cleverly/

IBF super-middleweight champion Froch criticised the Welsh star after he sparred with his big fight rival Mikkel Kessler.

Froch boxes Danish idol Kessler at London's O2 Arena on Saturday, and believes his fellow Brit was disloyal by helping out an overseas rival.

"If anything, Froch is being hypocritical because he was advising Kessler how to beat Brian Magee last year," slammed WBO light-heavyweight champion Cleverly.

"Kessler asked me to go out and spar in Copenhagen. I decided it would be a great experience to go and work with someone of Mikkel's calibre.

"I've got no issue working with Mikkel because I don't owe Carl Froch anything. In fact, we are rivals.

"Why should I have remorse? I don't even know Carl and we have never socialised."

Despite their public spat, Cleverly suggested that Froch will win the unification rematch against WBA title holder, Kessler.

Kessler won the first clash on points three years ago in Herning, but Cleverly predicted: "It is going to be very tough for Mikkel.

"He is coming up against Froch who has good momentum behind him and will give it everything because he wants this fight bad."

Promoter Frank Warren has previously offered Froch the chance to move up to the 175lb division to challenge Cleverly, but right now the chances of them meeting appear slim.

Cleverly added: "Froch has said a few disrespectful things about me in the past and always talked around the chances of us meeting in the ring.

"It is quite clear he doesn't fancy the fight with me. I feel I would give him a boxing lesson."

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Tue 21 May 2013, 8:30 pm

Laugh

Both Clev and Froch are plonkers. They'd make a good double act.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down