The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

FROCH, HAYE, THE SCOT, THE WELSH DRAGON AND BRITAIN'S OTHER CHAMPS

+8
azania
BALTIMORA
Liam_Main
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
eddyfightfan
88Chris05
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
Young_Towzer
12 posters

Go down

FROCH, HAYE, THE SCOT, THE WELSH DRAGON AND BRITAIN'S OTHER CHAMPS Empty FROCH, HAYE, THE SCOT, THE WELSH DRAGON AND BRITAIN'S OTHER CHAMPS

Post by Young_Towzer Sun May 29, 2011 8:12 pm

So, Britain boasts 5 current world champions, and each one good enough to face anyone imo, that doesn't mean they will win but could definitely win, how well do you lot rate these guys.

CARL FROCH - Nottingham
Froch wouldn't of been out of place in any era of Boxing's 12 stone div because of his adaptability to fight absolutely anybody and crowd pleasing style, not to mention his excellent underrated boxing ability. Nights like the Pascal fight will be long in the memory in terms of winning the WBC title, and the fight was one of the best ever seen in a British ring. Also has quality wins over Jermain Taylor, Andre Dirrell, Arthur Abraham.
NEXT UP: Glen Johnson

DAVID HAYE - Bermondsey
Haye has won cruiser and heavyweight honours as a world champ and has devestating power, with quality speed. He is the most athletic of heavyweights along with next opponent, Wladimir Klitschko, the pair will contest 3 genuine world titles in Germany in July, if Haye wins he will almost certainly go down as a great amongst many British boxing fans, and pundits alike. Haye's last fight in November was a farce against Harrison, but he was the first man to stop Ruiz in years before that, a punch perfect display of back foot boxing and excellent speed and defence delivered the WBA heavyweight title in Germany against the giant Valuev. That was Haye's best performance imo.

NATHAN CLEVERLY - Cefn Forest
'Clev' has come on leaps and bounds since leaving the 'Calzaghe Camp', Enzo unfairly gets a lot of the credit for this young fighter's growing improvement as a title fighter. He won the Commonwealth title just months after joining Father Vince Cleverly's Bargoed gym, and then made a few defences before taking a decent test in the shape of Danny McIntosh for the BBBofC British Light heavyweight title in 2009, Cleverly had too much class and power for the Norwich fighter and stopped him in 5. The following year he delivered the European title with a stoppage over Italy's Antonio Brancalion at Wembley Arena. Next up for Nathan was Germany's unbeaten Karo Murat at the LG Arena in Birmingham for the WBO 'Interim' Light heavyweight title, Cleverly destroyed the German before a below par display against Mohammedi in Liverpool then a quality stoppage last time out, despite showing flaws.

AMIR KHAN - Bolton
Khan is twice the fighter since leaving for Hollywood and the Wild Card gym with Freddie Roach, he has delivered a WBA 140 pound world title since and posted quality displays against Kotelnik, Salita, Malignaggi, Maidana in world title fights. The problem for Khan is he seems to feel sorry for himself because he isnt as well thought of on these shores as the likes of Hatton, Benn etc in previous years and plays pathetic cards about the british not loving him. Bit sad, because the kid's talented, last time out he stunk the joint out with McCloskey, i agree Paul never came to fight, but if you cant figure out an Irish European level champ, how's he gonna deal with Bradley?. Khan won every round of that fight but it was alarming the little he seemed to have left after 6 rounds and the way a European level fighter made him hit utter thin air throughout. Next up could be a farcical fight with Zab Judah, or maybe the more creditable Victor Ortiz down the line.

RICKY BURNS - Coatbridge
The most underrated out of the champions imo, very fast and a quality boxer, Burns could probably live with anyone in the world on his boxing brain alone, but can be exciting as well as he showed last year whilst winning the title from the world's best at the weight in Roman Martinez, Burns was 3/1 underdog that night and schooled the Puerto Rican in most aspects of the game. Has made 2 defences and next fights Nicky Cook, Burns can unify the titles and claim the tag of being the best super feather on the planet if he gets the Fana fight. Burns could comfortably outbox Fana who isn't nowhere near as dangerous as Martinez.

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

FROCH, HAYE, THE SCOT, THE WELSH DRAGON AND BRITAIN'S OTHER CHAMPS Empty Re: FROCH, HAYE, THE SCOT, THE WELSH DRAGON AND BRITAIN'S OTHER CHAMPS

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sun May 29, 2011 9:45 pm

I'm gutted that Ricky Burns next fight is against Cook and it's in Liverpool. Been to about 12 of Rickys fights. Apparently Fwank priced them out of the Fana fight according to Fana's team he was asking for too much cash. I have been hoping for a Martinez rematch for a while but it doesn't seem like it will ever happen.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

FROCH, HAYE, THE SCOT, THE WELSH DRAGON AND BRITAIN'S OTHER CHAMPS Empty Re: FROCH, HAYE, THE SCOT, THE WELSH DRAGON AND BRITAIN'S OTHER CHAMPS

Post by 88Chris05 Sun May 29, 2011 9:54 pm

Froch certainly deserves to be top of this particular pile - unless Haye topples Wladimir, that is. I think Froch will deal with Johnson and win a clear decision without looking all that spectacular, and I'm still going for Haye to stop Klitschko in the mid to late rounds. If both those results transpire, then it's too close to call between 'The Cobra' and 'The Hayemaker.'

Khan is a solid third spot, and I think people are reading a little too much in to the McCloskey fight. All champions are allowed the odd 'off night' here and there and, as he demonstrated against Maidana, I think Khan is the type of fighter to produce his best when the pressure is on and the opposition is tip-top. I've no doubts at all that the Bradley fight will materialize in early 2012, and I'm also convinced that Khan is the perfect fighter to beat Bradley.

Cleverly? A word of advice to Warren; keep him away from Pascal, Cloud and Hopkins (yes, even the forty-six year old version). Cleverly's on a hiding to nothing against any of those three right now. I rate Cleverly, but he's still so wet behind the ears it's untrue at times. A couple of WBO run outs (hopefully Bellew included) is what's needed before he even contemplates an attempt to unify.

Sorry, don't share your enthusiasm for Burns. He's a tidy enough boxer, but I think he's woefully short of variety at the highest level, as is Martinez who I simply don't rate as highly as some others do. The guy is a decent puncher but little else, and I don't think anyone should have been all that surprised that Burns outscored him. Burns is decent enough but he's lucky that the 130 lb division is a wee bit bereft of top names right now - a few lb either way, and he's never a world champion. He may beat Fana (in what would be an absolute stinker of a fight) but again, I'll wait and see how he does against someone of genuine quality before I put him in the same class as the other four you've mentioned.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Sun May 29, 2011 11:57 pm

think haye froch and khan are all proven world level fighters, cleverly is getting there but needs to fight a quality opponent next to really prove his worth. as much as i like burns i think he is quite limited but unsure how good he really is because he's hardly been tested at all.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Mon May 30, 2011 12:16 am

Prettyboy, I think that the way burns got floored/wobbled through the fight, Frank sees that rematch as a no no. Burns is ripe for a milking now.

He's a good lad, down to earth big time
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Mon May 30, 2011 12:18 am

I'm not sold on Cleverly he has a schooling coming his way if his last 2 or 3 performances are anything to go by. The fact his Dad is his trainer may be a cause for concern if he does need a new trainer he may be reluctant to part company with his Dad.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Mon May 30, 2011 12:22 am

Agree big time with clever-lad. He is due a hidin if daddy dosent leg it
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Mon May 30, 2011 12:28 am

Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn wrote:Prettyboy, I think that the way burns got floored/wobbled through the fight, Frank sees that rematch as a no no. Burns is ripe for a milking now.

He's a good lad, down to earth big time

I know why Fwank won't make the fight but their is no fights out their for Ricky. His only chance of fighting Fana is going to Africa and earning very little from it.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Mon May 30, 2011 12:36 am

Fair play he schooled Martinez but he looked very vunerable at times which Frank will avoid like the plague, but we know Ricky loves that script. Hopefully he keeps goin but with gamboa lurkin, it's hard to see Ricky beat him. Like the guy though. Listen to khan being interviewed and then listen to burns, he a gentleman
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Mon May 30, 2011 12:44 am

As much as I like Ricky I would have him nowhere near Gamboa who imo is the best fighter around below 147lbs. Probably the most gifted active fighter around at the moment.
I would like to see a Martinez rematch if not then offer Adrian Broner the American a shot, Nicky Cook is a joke fight. Ricky should have told Fwank to do one.
Ricky is a nice guy he has worked really hard on his skills it wasn't that long ago he lost to Carl Johannson. I just want to see him tested and see how good he really is because we don't know yet.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam_Main Mon May 30, 2011 12:45 am

Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn wrote:Fair play he schooled Martinez but he looked very vunerable at times which Frank will avoid like the plague, but we know Ricky loves that script. Hopefully he keeps goin but with gamboa lurkin, it's hard to see Ricky beat him. Like the guy though. Listen to khan being interviewed and then listen to burns, he a gentleman

Saying Burns schooled Martinez may be a little over the top but he certainly was impressive responded well Martinez started to catch him and definitely was his best performance to date.

Can see Burns holding onto his belt until the likes of Gamboa and Juan Ma move up there a class above him. I like Burns but he seems to just be doing well in a poor division.
Liam_Main
Liam_Main

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000094431208

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Mon May 30, 2011 12:49 am

I want to see Burns fight guys who deserve a shot at him but Gamboa? That's just cruel. Gamboa is the most gifted active fighter around just now. He looks like he has it all fast hands and feet, great boxing brain, slips and moves better than most and has power to back it all up. Gamboa would beat Burns inside 2 rounds.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Mon May 30, 2011 12:53 am

Love watchin gamboa mate, can't see anything in his style that has him beat. Burns is good at long range but gamboa would figure him out in 2 rounds as you said. I think he would beat Fana though but Fwanker warran is the bad egg that would stall burns career. I'm on YouTube now on the PS3 watchin burns Martinez, lol, cheers for the reminder, bit sauced as well!
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Mon May 30, 2011 1:00 am

Enjoy mate I was their it was a cracker.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Mon May 30, 2011 1:03 am

Serious, well the last one I was at was Khan V McCloskey, £239 flights, £75 ticket, £125 hotel, £250 spent, was worth every penny Whistle
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Mon May 30, 2011 1:38 am

Cost me £70 quid for 2 tickets. Got the subway their I live in Glasgow think it cost £2 for me and the wife. Spent a fortune on bevvy that night but it was well worth it.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Mon May 30, 2011 2:34 am

Cleverly NEEDS to step up his training. End of. Froch...I'm praying beyond belief that hedoesnt suffer to Ward.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Mon May 30, 2011 6:35 am

@kev
Burns would of beaten any super featherweight in the world that night imo. I dont think the Cook fight is great but he took the title from the best fighter at the weight in a war less than a year ago, so i dont think their gonna pit him with the best again just yet.

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon May 30, 2011 9:10 am

Steven_89 wrote:@kev
Burns would of beaten any super featherweight in the world that night imo. I dont think the Cook fight is great but he took the title from the best fighter at the weight in a war less than a year ago, so i dont think their gonna pit him with the best again just yet.

laughing

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Mon May 30, 2011 10:25 am

I know why he won't put him in with Martinez again but their isn't anyone else for him to fight. Fwank was hoping to put him in with Stephen Foster Jnr but he lost his European title earlier this year. He is just milking Burns. If Fwank had a bit of bottle or even faith in Burns and a bit of ambition he would have offered a fight to Adrian Broner the American.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Mon May 30, 2011 3:08 pm

I know why he won't put him in with Martinez again but their isn't anyone else for him to fight. Fwank was hoping to put him in with Stephen Foster Jnr but he lost his European title earlier this year. He is just milking Burns. If Fwank had a bit of bottle or even faith in Burns and a bit of ambition he would have offered a fight to Adrian Broner the American.
I think Burns would beat Broner, especially with them crazy scots packing out an arena in your neck of the woods!, this kid is so underrated its untrue, i said that before he won the world title as well.

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon May 30, 2011 3:12 pm

Steven_89 wrote:I know why he won't put him in with Martinez again but their isn't anyone else for him to fight. Fwank was hoping to put him in with Stephen Foster Jnr but he lost his European title earlier this year. He is just milking Burns. If Fwank had a bit of bottle or even faith in Burns and a bit of ambition he would have offered a fight to Adrian Broner the American.
I think Burns would beat Broner, especially with them crazy scots packing out an arena in your neck of the woods!, this kid is so underrated its untrue, i said that before he won the world title as well.

I cant see it. Burns is a very poor champ. Mitchell should drop down and beat him.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Mon May 30, 2011 3:18 pm

Steven_89 wrote:I know why he won't put him in with Martinez again but their isn't anyone else for him to fight. Fwank was hoping to put him in with Stephen Foster Jnr but he lost his European title earlier this year. He is just milking Burns. If Fwank had a bit of bottle or even faith in Burns and a bit of ambition he would have offered a fight to Adrian Broner the American.

I think people are guilty of underrating Burns the Martinez victory was very impressive and no one would want to come fight him at the Kelvin Hall. Only holds 3,000 but it's one of the best boxing venues around. The atmosphere in their for the Martinez fight was the best I've heard at a fight.

Broner looks decent I think that would be a good fight Burns problem is he has no power. He works very hard on his jab and his footwork and head movement and it seems to be improving.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Mon May 30, 2011 3:18 pm

azania wrote:

laughing

Az what SFW would have beat Burns that night? Martinez was the best at the weight and Burns beat him.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Mon May 30, 2011 3:21 pm

The problem for Burns kev, is he's already beat the best then if he gets Fana who he comfortably beats imo the keyboard club will say he's still not world class, then a move to lightweight may be a tad more hard to deliver a world title

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon May 30, 2011 3:25 pm

prettyboykev wrote:
azania wrote:

laughing

Az what SFW would have beat Burns that night? Martinez was the best at the weight and Burns beat him.

I think Mitchell could take him and Linares. Outside of that, the division is so poor as you say its a pick em.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Mon May 30, 2011 3:29 pm

I don't think he would win a title at LW Rios, Guerrero and Marquez are just to good for him. Fana has been stripped of his belt so who knows what's going on their.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Tue May 31, 2011 2:41 pm

alma wrote:Burns is a paper champion in my opinion.
Anything but.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Tue May 31, 2011 2:48 pm

alma wrote:Burns is a paper champion in my opinion.

Pure and utter nonsense he beat the best at his weight for the title. He hasn't had a tough defence yet but the three other champs at the weight haven't been fighting top guys either.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Tue May 31, 2011 2:58 pm

Ironically, Burns is probably the most "legit" champ Britain has in terms of how he got his title.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by Jukebox Timebomb Tue May 31, 2011 3:08 pm

Thing is about Cleverley, and Groves, is they're only ~ 22. That's baby years for the higher weights. They won't peak physicall until their around the 30 year mark so what's the rush with them? Groves especially is no where near strong enough to mix it at the top yet, and it would be a shame to see him lose from being over-matched too soon.

Jukebox Timebomb

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue May 31, 2011 3:10 pm

Jukebox Timebomb wrote:Thing is about Cleverley, and Groves, is they're only ~ 22. That's baby years for the higher weights. They won't peak physicall until their around the 30 year mark so what's the rush with them? Groves especially is no where near strong enough to mix it at the top yet, and it would be a shame to see him lose from being over-matched too soon.

If they are still works in progress, which I actually agree with then Cleverly should not be calling himself world champion. Call me a bluff old traditionalist if you must but the title world champion to me suggests a guy who is best in the world and should be willing to face anyone to prove it, the belts are cheapened enough to start with without being used as marketing tools for a guy still learning his trade.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Tue May 31, 2011 3:20 pm

Agree wholeheartedly with Rowley; once a fighter wins a world title they are not a 'prospect' or an 'up and comer' anymore. If Cleverly wants to be taken seriously as a world champion then he can't be protected with the 'he's young, still learning, needs to take a few easier fights for now' mentality.

Cleverly is twenty-four; a young'un, for sure, but other fighters who have won world titles at comparable ages (and often younger) haven't then been hidden behind the above theory. Cleverly should be mixing it at the highest of levels from now on.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 31, 2011 3:23 pm

Don't think it matters how old the fighter is physically, it's more about mental aptitude. DeGale will probably still be a big baby well into his 30's.

Naz never grew up so the chances of DeGale becoming a mature adult anytime soon are quite slim IMO

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Tue May 31, 2011 4:23 pm

If they are still works in progress, which I actually agree with then Cleverly should not be calling himself world champion. Call me a bluff old traditionalist if you must but the title world champion to me suggests a guy who is best in the world and should be willing to face anyone to prove it, the belts are cheapened enough to start with without being used as marketing tools for a guy still learning his trade.
Cleverly wanted to take on a good champ in Braehmer, the guy who came in was short notice, whilst Dawson/Pascal/Hopkins/Diaconu were all fighting on the same night. He hasn't even made a proper defence yet you cant just slate him!, Braehmer pulled out not Cleverly.

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue May 31, 2011 4:30 pm

I'm not slating him I actually quite like the kid what I am slating is the idea that world champions can still be considered works in progress or there are guys in their division they may not be ready for or need protecting from because it devalues the whole idea of a world champion.

Too often know fighters and promoters want their cake and eat it when it comes to world title, they want the kudos, status and money that comes with a world title but don't want the tricky bit of getting in a ring and proving you are the best in the world. Hope Clev is different but I would suggest Warren's matchmaking will not back that up.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 31, 2011 4:33 pm

Agree with Rowley here. However, just to play Devil's Avocado(!) Clev may be smart enough to talk about wanting to take on the best safe in the knowledge that Warren will protect him as much as possible.

"I wanted the fight but it was my promotor who said 'No'"

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Tue May 31, 2011 4:53 pm

DAVE667 wrote:Agree with Rowley here. However, just to play Devil's Avocado(!) Clev may be smart enough to talk about wanting to take on the best safe in the knowledge that Warren will protect him as much as possible.

"I wanted the fight but it was my promotor who said 'No'"

It doesnt really wash because at the end of the day the fighter hires the promoter. If you arent happy with the fights you are getting or the exposure or whatever you find someone else.

Would expect Cleverly to have a couple of soft fights in the next 12 months and after that we will see what his ambition is like.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down