The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

South Africa v Wales - 2nd Test, Nelspruit

+52
XR
flyhalffactory
Jimpy
fa0019
No9
Norfolklass
maestegmafia
GavinDragon
Seagultaf
bedfordwelsh
Barney McGrew did it
SecretFly
George Carlin
Mr Fishpaste
Blueschief
geoff999rugby
lostinwales
glamorganalun
Taylorman
RDSguru
slartibartfast
Scratch
Otagolad
jimmyinthewell68
Jhamer25
MMaaxx
funnyExiledScot
gavstar
milkyboy
welshy824 (new)
majesticimperialman
sickofwendy
2ndtimeround
quinsforever
LeinsterFan4life
Notch
Golden
Feckless Rogue
The Bachelor
GLove39
doctor_grey
Knowsit17
HammerofThunor
sad_gimp
Hood83
rainbow-warrior
wales606
kingraf
Neutralee
aucklandlaurie
Biltong
Pal Joey
56 posters

Page 4 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

South Africa v Wales -  2nd Test, Nelspruit - Page 4 Empty South Africa v Wales - 2nd Test, Nelspruit

Post by Pal Joey Sat Jun 21, 2014 12:12 pm

First topic message reminder :

South Africa:
15 Willie le Roux, 14 Cornal Hendricks, 13 JP Pietersen, 12 Jan Serfontein, 11 Bryan Habana, 10 Morné Steyn, 9 Fourie du Preez, 8 Duane Vermeulen, 7 Willem Alberts, 6 Francois Louw, 5 Victor Matfield (c), 4 Flip van der Merwe ,3 Jannie du Plessis, 2 Bismarck du Plessis, 1 Tendai Mtawarira.

Replacements:
16 Schalk Brits, 17 Gurthrö Steenkamp, 18 Coenie Oosthuizen, 19 Lodewyk de Jager, 20 Schalk Burger, 21 Ruan Pienaar, 22 Wynand Olivier,
23 Lwazi Mvovo.

Wales:
15 Liam Williams, 14 Alex Cuthbert, 13 Jonathan Davies, 12 Jamie Roberts, 11 George North, 10 Dan Biggar, 9 Mike Phillips
8 Taulupe Faletau, 7 Josh Turnbull, 6 Dan Lydiate, 5 Alun-Wyn Jones (c), 4 Luke Charteris, 3 Samson Lee, 2 Ken Owens, 1 Gethin Jenkins

Replacements:
16 Matthew Rees, 17 Paul James, 18 Aaron Jarvis, 19 Jake Ball, 20 Dan Baker, 21 Gareth Davies, 22 James Hook, 23 Matthew Morgan

Date: Saturday, June 21
Venue: Mbombela Stadium, Nelspruit
Kick-off: 15.00 (13.00 GMT)
Referee: Steve Walsh (Australia)
Assistant referees: Romain Poite (France), Francesco Pastrana (Argentina)
TMO: Glenn Newman (New Zealand)

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

South Africa v Wales -  2nd Test, Nelspruit - Page 4 Empty Re: South Africa v Wales - 2nd Test, Nelspruit

Post by wales606 Sat Jun 21, 2014 3:57 pm

AWJ was right...Hendricks foot was going into touch anyway...jesus
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

South Africa v Wales -  2nd Test, Nelspruit - Page 4 Empty Re: South Africa v Wales - 2nd Test, Nelspruit

Post by HammerofThunor Sat Jun 21, 2014 3:58 pm

As I said, a massive kick to the crotch. Hard luck Wales. Would have been better letting him in, at least it would have been a harder kick. Neither of those drop goal attempts seemed on really.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by sickofwendy Sat Jun 21, 2014 3:58 pm

Unlucky wales
Well played

sickofwendy

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Sat Jun 21, 2014 3:59 pm

You have too feel so, so sory for Wales. they was so close.

I think mike Phillips had the best game he has had for a while. Gethin Jenkins also had a great game.

Hard luck Wales, a very good game today.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by The Bachelor Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:00 pm

Neutralee wrote:Really feel sorry for Wales, they deserve more, but sadly they just cannot close games out, their problem is that they are constantly trying to close games out instead of going on to win by more.
Agreed; the damage was done when Wales didn't put more points on the board with the man advantage. I still think SA would have scored at the end without the penalty try (North has missed soft tackles in both games leading to tries).

Last edited by The Bachelor on Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

The Bachelor

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:00 pm

Trademark Wales unfortunately, build a healthy lead only to concede two scores in the last 10 mins. SA hadn't been able to score against 15 before that crucial period.

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:00 pm

Commiserations to Wales, tough loss to take. Springboks fortunate to win this one, but they showed immense guts to come back against a charged up Wales.

Cuthbert and Roberts were immense, Wales played the rught game when they got ahead, slowed everything down and frustrated the Boks who couldn't get momentum going.

A weird game and a few 50/50 decisions.

Great and tense game of rugby.

Morne Steyn looks lost on attack, slow, pedantic and no vision
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Feckless Rogue Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:01 pm

Great performance. No composure in the end. Kinda like Ireland against the All Blacks. The dumb thing about that foul was that he was in a position to make a legal tackle but fouled him instead. Doh!
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by welshy824 (new) Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:01 pm

to be honest I thought north had already dragged Hendricks foot into touch? and liam Williams would have still got him into touch if he had tackled legally.

I am absolutely gutted, firstly thought it was a 3pm kick off so missed the first half and to see us lose like that

welshy824 (new)

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:03 pm

Cracking game, gotta say the welsh played some great stuff and deserved better from it. Heartbreaking way to lose, but as an Englishman who has no love for Steve Walsh... something of an understatement... It was the right call.

Gutting as it is, you have to take some solace from the performance.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by gavstar Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:03 pm

biggar had a very good game. only 24 caps. this has shown he is the 10 for the future. could have kept it in the last minutes, but overall HE WAS THE 10 who had the better game. well done dan

gavstar

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:03 pm

welshy824 (new) wrote:to be honest I thought north had already dragged Hendricks foot into touch? and liam Williams would have still got him into touch if he had tackled legally.

I am absolutely gutted, firstly thought it was a 3pm kick off so missed the first half and to see us lose like that

First half was just as gutting, throwing away a 17 point lead
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:04 pm

Hardly a surprise, but very classy from Quinnell complementing Walsh on how he handled the penalty try at the end.  OK 

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:04 pm

Congrats Biltong. Your guys dug in there and pulled it off. Well done.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:04 pm

welshy824 (new) wrote:to be honest I thought north had already dragged Hendricks foot into touch?

Looked like it was going into touch to me.

Controversial
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:06 pm

Really do not agree with that penalty try at the end. Well played Wales, horrible to lose a game in that way.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Neutralee Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:06 pm

Surprised vermuelen got motm, thought there were half a dozen players who were more deserving.

Jenkins and matfield were both superb!

Neutralee

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:07 pm

gutted for wales. but unfortunately nothing controversial about the second penalty try. his foot didnt go into touch and the only thing that matters is whether the tmo and ref agree that a try would have been scored had liam williams not been present.

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by welshy824 (new) Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:08 pm

wales606 wrote:
welshy824 (new) wrote:to be honest I thought north had already dragged Hendricks foot into touch?

Looked like it was going into touch to me.

Controversial

I guess walsh was concentrating on the illegal tackle, but wish he would have looked at that first.
I do sometimes question why I love this sport so much? we seem to have no luck

welshy824 (new)

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:10 pm

quinsforever wrote:gutted for wales. but unfortunately nothing controversial about the second penalty try. his foot didnt go into touch and the only thing that matters is whether the tmo and ref agree that a try would have been scored had liam williams not been present.

Exactly, his foot was going into touch before Williams laid a hand on him from the look of it
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by MMaaxx Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:11 pm

To all the Welsh guys on here I am gutted for you, sickening loss.

Boks did not deserve that to me and thank you for the HUGE wake up call. Your team was seriously good today.

Regarding SA, I have too much to put down for now and need to gather my thoughts. But one thing is that I think SA should keep tests against tier 1 nations for Pretoria, JHB, Cape Town and Durban.

MMaaxx

Location : New place every week, live between SA, Porugal and UK

Back to top Go down

Post by Jhamer25 Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:11 pm

Anyone else feel physically sick

Jhamer25

Back to top Go down

Post by welshy824 (new) Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:13 pm

Jhamer25 wrote:Anyone else feel physically sick

Yes, it just happens far too often now, is it just me or do Wales hardly ever seem to have comfortable wins over teams, instead things going down to the last 5 minutes :/

welshy824 (new)

Back to top Go down

Post by Neutralee Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:14 pm

As gutted as I am for Wales the last decision was correct, it was a shoulder charge, of which George north had slipped off him and he was in the process of scoring.

As a Wales supporter I would be more aggrieved about the double yellow and penalty try first half, or the two phases before SA scored in the second.

Done and done though, SA took it throu sheer guts and the confidence in their ability to score. Wales have to work on every aspect of their line out, it's poor

Neutralee

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:15 pm

The England game in 2012 was the only Welsh game i've enjoyed for ages,

I hate close finishes...
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:16 pm

HammerofThunor wrote:Congrats Biltong. Your guys dug in there and pulled it off. Well done.

Thanks mate, nailbiting stuff this. I have nothing but respect for this Welsh performance.

There were some odd decisions, the one was when Walsh wanted the replay sped up because he decided a slow motion looks worse than it is, so
I suspect there will be a law change now that says TMO decisions must be done at normal speed Wink
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Neutralee Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:17 pm

Biltong wrote:
HammerofThunor wrote:Congrats Biltong. Your guys dug in there and pulled it off. Well done.

Thanks mate, nailbiting stuff this. I have nothing but respect for this Welsh performance.

There were some odd decisions, the one was when Walsh wanted the replay sped up because he decided a slow motion looks worse than it is, so
I suspect there will be a law change now that says TMO decisions must be done at normal speed Wink

That was odd, but definitely knocked on

Neutralee

Back to top Go down

Post by MMaaxx Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:26 pm

To all the Welsh guys on here I am gutted for you, sickening loss.

Boks did not deserve that to me and thank you for the HUGE wake up call. Your team was seriously good today.

Regarding SA, I have too much to put down for now and need to gather my thoughts. But one thing is that I think SA should keep tests against tier 1 nations for Pretoria, JHB, Cape Town and Durban.

MMaaxx

Location : New place every week, live between SA, Porugal and UK

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:33 pm

This was one of those games when you say, it is a shame, that one team has too lose.

Even though i am not one of Wales biggest fans, they should not have lost that game.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by jimmyinthewell68 Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:35 pm

Im sad but i guess its progress . unfortunatly we can't hold onto a lead against the top sides. we gave south Africa a game today and fair play to them they never give up

jimmyinthewell68

Back to top Go down

Post by Otagolad Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:38 pm

wales606 wrote:
quinsforever wrote:gutted for wales. but unfortunately nothing controversial about the second penalty try. his foot didnt go into touch and the only thing that matters is whether the tmo and ref agree that a try would have been scored had liam williams not been present.

Exactly, his foot was going into touch before Williams laid a hand on him from the look of it

Not sure what game you were watching but he wasn't in touch and he wasn't going into touch - take the offending player out and it's a certain try. Very very lucky there wasn't a yellow card. Can't believe he didn't try to tackle him legally or just let him score in the corner - sideline conversion would have been interesting.

Otagolad

Back to top Go down

Post by Scratch Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:38 pm

Jhamer25 wrote:Anyone else feel physically sick

feel? try been.

Scratch

Back to top Go down

Post by slartibartfast Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:40 pm

How can it be a penalty try when the ball was dropping before Liam hit?
slartibartfast
slartibartfast

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:41 pm

Ball wasn't dropped before the "thug tackle" Wink it was dislodged by Liam's knee.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by slartibartfast Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:42 pm

Ps. I'm sure SA would've scored and won from the resultant penalty.

Wales mucked up 20 mins earlier by changing tactic. trying to get penalties and not catching their own lineout.
slartibartfast
slartibartfast

Back to top Go down

Post by RDSguru Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:43 pm

Otagolad wrote:
wales606 wrote:

Not sure what game you were watching but he wasn't in touch and he wasn't going into touch - take the offending player out and it's a certain try. Very very lucky there wasn't a yellow card. Can't believe he didn't try to tackle him legally or just let him score in the corner - sideline conversion would have been interesting.

If he had tried to lay a hand on him (and he had chance) it could have been a try saving tackle.

But no, he had to go with the shoulder....

Why do we always throw these games away... I'm sick to death of it, I really am

RDSguru

Back to top Go down

Post by RDSguru Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:45 pm

Oh, and congrats SA....

RDSguru

Back to top Go down

Post by slartibartfast Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:45 pm

Ireland, England and now SA have a shown Wales simply can't defend.
slartibartfast
slartibartfast

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:49 pm

I absolutely agree with the decision - if LW is taken out of the equation it's a certain try imo. Although the team will no doubt stick by their mate they will be livid when they get a proper look at it. Just any attempt at a legal tackle and the try is surely prevented.

Back to top Go down

Post by Scratch Sat Jun 21, 2014 5:02 pm

Fuzzy Dunlop wrote:I absolutely agree with the decision - if LW is taken out of the equation it's a certain try imo. Although the team will no doubt stick by their mate they will be livid when they get a proper look at it. Just any attempt at a legal tackle and the try is surely prevented.

and even if not prevented, Steyn would shave had to take his chances with a touchline conversion and atlhgouh he has history against red shirted teams with the se pressure kicks we don't even test him and prefer the gift-the-game option

Scratch

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Sat Jun 21, 2014 5:06 pm

Otagolad wrote:
wales606 wrote:

you obviously aren't familiar with Liam Williams. every match i have watched him play he tries a nasty cheap shot that is borderline card-able. any other 15 would have made an effort to make the tackle legally. Liam Williams's first instincts are to put the shoulder or elbow in to the head.

vs ireland (after try scored)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-XGWHmIVeo

vs blues

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/wales-full-back-liam-williams-7016325

vs ulster

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zC6tVwWvYnY#t=32

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by welshy824 (new) Sat Jun 21, 2014 5:10 pm

have to say whoever is writing the bbc sport live coverage is a D!ck, so many snide comments

welshy824 (new)

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sat Jun 21, 2014 5:48 pm

Well that was an eye opener. SA extremely lucky with that turn of events. How often does a wingers try turn into a penalty try that desperately needed to avoid a sideline conversion.

very lucky indeed. Hansen will probably be taking a good note of that one. When Wales turned the pace on the ball once again the boks werent making their one on one tackles.

Bigars decision at the end to attempt a snap drop goal from 50 was amateurish. Pressure decision making at its wordt. Wales should have backed themselves to persevere with taking the ball up, though they werent doing that well either.

Bit lucky on the Welsh finger try as well. Thought Welsh controlled the match well- a difficult one but generally correct in the tough decisions.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sat Jun 21, 2014 5:51 pm

Just watched the final try - Hendricks didn't touch the line, and he wasn't going to... Also the Welsh player had a brain fade... How do you even?
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sat Jun 21, 2014 5:56 pm

kingraf wrote:Just watched the final try -  Hendricks didn't touch the line, and he wasn't going to... Also the Welsh player had a brain fade... How do you even?
yeah dont get that one, never looked like going out. Wishful thinking perhaps...

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 21, 2014 5:59 pm

I disagree with "taking the player out of the equation because of an illegal tackle", he was still there, if he had actually wrapped his arms around Hendricks would have been bundled into touch. How can you completely ignore the position of a defender because of an act of foul play?

Netherless, good performance by Wales, discipline costed us.

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sat Jun 21, 2014 6:02 pm

I agree with the rule - it's obviously made to prevent bone-headed play. That was idiotic to the nth degree and deserves the result.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sat Jun 21, 2014 6:03 pm

kingraf wrote:Just watched the final try -  Hendricks didn't touch the line, and he wasn't going to... Also the Welsh player had a brain fade... How do you even?

Nothing surprises me with Liam Williams. Anyway, the issue isn't if he's in touch if Williams attempts a legitimate tackle, he would have been but thats beside the point- Williams didn't attempt a lawful tackle so that doesn't enter into it. The issue is then whether he would have scored if Williams wasn't there at all and he would have. You can't say he wouldn't have scored if the player had done something differently because, well, he didn't.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 21, 2014 6:05 pm

I agree with the result because it is quite thuggery of Williams, just disagree with the justification of ignoring the position of him because of a bad tackle - it doesn't make sense.

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sat Jun 21, 2014 6:07 pm

Well it was a penalty offence that prevented a try. The logic can't be; if the player does a different action, would that also prevent a try? Because he didn't do that- he didn't have the presence of minder the ability to do the right thing so that logic doesn't make sense for me. It has to be judged by what he did do, not on hypotheticals.

Last edited by Notch on Sat Jun 21, 2014 6:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next