The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why dont we see any more tournaments in the WWE?

5 posters

Go down

Why dont we see any more tournaments in the WWE? Empty Why dont we see any more tournaments in the WWE?

Post by Samo Thu 10 Apr 2014, 12:47 pm

TNA have a 10 man gauntlet match coming up for the no1 contender spot. It got me thinking, why dont we see anything like this in the WWE anymore?

Its been a long time since we have had a multi-week tournament or a beat the clock sprint or anything of that nature. Its a great concept. It opens up alot of matches you wouldnt otherwise see. Its a great chance to start or continue feuds. A great chance to push new talent.

Seems like a wasted oppertunity. Instead of having the same two guys fight 4-5 times a year, they could use this formula to liven things up, especially in the time between SummerSlam and the Royal Rumble.

Samo

Back to top Go down

Why dont we see any more tournaments in the WWE? Empty Re: Why dont we see any more tournaments in the WWE?

Post by Kid Vicious Thu 10 Apr 2014, 4:02 pm

Tis a good question, but alas no one around to answer for you. I don't really watch the product too much these days to accurately comment, but I'll offer a couple of suggestions.

1) Imagination. An elimination tournament in the WWE will more often than not be King of the Ring. It's a concept that has been created and failed, revived as a PPV and failed and then used as an occasional TV tournament and guess what, failed. I guess people just don't buy into certain wrestlers being The King. Harley Race was believable, his credentials from the NWA doing enough of a sell without WWF having to do too much. Macho Man's run was highly memorable, as was Owen Hart, Booker T and to an extent Edge. The rest either never got over with the gimmick, dropped it far too soon, or in some cases never took it on. That rendered the whole thing somewhat pointless.
2) Attention span. Stories these days can be set up and over within a month. Long gone are the days when a feud could simmer on for over a year and longer. Casual fans want everything now! They don't want to wait maybe 8 weeks to get to the final, and unfortunately neither do they want to see some guy fight 4 times in a night to complete the tournament in one sitting. And if the final outcome is going to result in the winner and fans not reaping some actual reward, again it becomes pointless.

Personally I think they're doing it right at the moment. Keeping them occasional can add to the grandeur. Maybe once in a blue moon have a screwy finish that renders a belt vacant and have a tournament then.

Kid Vicious

Back to top Go down

Why dont we see any more tournaments in the WWE? Empty Re: Why dont we see any more tournaments in the WWE?

Post by VoiceOfTheVoiceless Thu 10 Apr 2014, 5:38 pm

I think the reason there is less/no more beat the clock challenges etc is because the writers are actually doing some good booking for a change. Beat the clock usually meant they were out of ideas on who to face Cena for the title. Storylines are actually lasting longer than 4 weeks now and you actually feel interested in them.

Finally!

VoiceOfTheVoiceless

Back to top Go down

Post by Brilliant_yep Thu 10 Apr 2014, 7:59 pm

I always liked Lumberjack matches,but only the ones where if someone was thrown out of the ring they were given a good kicking instead of just being rolled back in.
I seem to remember Championship Scramble being good,but that may just have been on the PlayStation :/

Brilliant_yep

Back to top Go down

Post by gaffer_reborn Tue 15 Apr 2014, 7:49 am

someones read this post

gaffer_reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by Samo Tue 15 Apr 2014, 12:02 pm

Certainly seems that way.

Samo

Back to top Go down

Post by Kid Vicious Tue 15 Apr 2014, 12:16 pm

Shame they don't read some of the other posts on here - I prefer the hypothetical cards and stories you guys come up with to the actual programming!

Kid Vicious

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down