The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

General RL Discussion!

+5
Steel
TopoftheChops
RuggerFan
Luke
Pal Joey
9 posters

Page 2 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down

General RL Discussion! - Page 2 Empty General RL Discussion!

Post by Luke Mon Mar 24 2014, 12:21

First topic message reminder :

A thread we're we can discuss our sides, what's happening in RL, the future and everything else to do with Rugby League.

I really hope that Cas can keep up there early form and stay in the top 8.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

General RL Discussion! - Page 2 Empty Re: General RL Discussion!

Post by George Hotel1895 Tue Oct 13 2015, 14:55

Overall Leeds have been far and away the best team in Super League this season.

George Hotel1895

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Tue Feb 16 2016, 00:25

So, the new season is 2 games old, and already a couple of outstanding results (well done Widnes & Salford). Leeds & Rovers again having injury problems, looks like SL could be alot tighter thís season.
Wigan not playing well but winning is a bit ominous, and Hull FC look impressive, Widnes looking good Castleford also. Could thís be the year that someone else gets in the top 4 or wins something other than just the usual suspects.

The championship again looks intresting, Bradford look good, Sheffield also. And what a result for Batley v Leigh. Dewsbury looking good could again be intresting season with again a side not expected getting into the middle 8's.

Also can people in the game stop complaining about the 8's system. I thought it worked well last year and gives clubs something to play for in Augest, rather than the usual pointless games. Yes it wasn't perfect, but it was a dam sight better than what we had.

World series this weekend (think we could use the friendlies as a series score, Winner hosts the following year), as for thís year hard to see beyond another dominant Aussies win, though can see Wigan doing something. Leeds just have to many injuries to see them winning.

Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Sat Feb 20 2016, 10:18

So, the new season is 2 games old, and already a couple of outstanding results (well done Widnes & Salford). Leeds & Rovers again having injury problems, looks like SL could be alot tighter thís season.
Wigan not playing well but winning is a bit ominous, and Hull FC look impressive, Widnes looking good Castleford also. Could thís be the year that someone else gets in the top 4 or wins something other than just the usual suspects.

The championship again looks intresting, Bradford look good, Sheffield also. And what a result for Batley v Leigh. Dewsbury looking good could again be intresting season with again a side not expected getting into the middle 8's.

Also can people in the game stop complaining about the 8's system. I thought it worked well last year and gives clubs something to play for in Augest, rather than the usual pointless games. Yes it wasn't perfect, but it was a dam sight better than what we had.

World series this weekend (think we could use the friendlies as a series score, Winner hosts the following year), as for thís year hard to see beyond another dominant Aussies win, though can see Wigan doing something. Leeds just have to many injuries to see them winning.
[/quote]

Well that was quite a hiding for Saints last night, it was very apparent very quickly which was the better side, credit to them for keeping it south of 50 points. I think Wigan will be at least competitive, Leeds.........I do fear for them to be honest.

Big game IMO for your guys on Sunday Tiger, I appreciate it is early and KR are not at full strenght but I think it is essential you win home to Wakefield.

Leigh will only get better (now have Richard Whiting on loan), I suspect however it will take a bit of time to get used to the ruck speed or lack thereof in the Championship, they played Chase at Full Back v Batley I think they would be better if Brierley played takes that role (assuming he stays) whilst McNally is injured. Halifax I think will be even stronger this year. Bradford should be ok against most Championship sides, they apparently have plans to bring further signings later in the season, unless one is an actual scrum half they will struggle as stronger sides will be able to load up and target Lee Gaskell.

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Tue Feb 23 2016, 02:10

Hard to disagree that yesterday defeat was a bad result for Rovers, and it's worrying just how poor we are at the moment. Injuries are an obvious excuse, but to be honest we just don't look at the moment.

Agree with your comments regarding the championship, Bradford duing what you'd expect them to do, this weekends game should tell you were you are. Not sure why Leigh need Whiting but hey ho, it's the 4th spot that could be intresting, as there are quite a few sides who seem to have similar squads and abilities.

As for the world series games. Thought saints were really poor, Wigan were beaten by a very good side, as were Leeds though injuries and who they''ve lost certainly didn't help them. More worryingly is that thís was all the Aussies first pre season game, god help our sides if we meet them when they were already warmed up.
Thought the Aussie sides forwards and halfs were just so dominant and far ahead of what our aides had to offer.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by Steel Tue Feb 23 2016, 18:04

Aussies were far too professional for us and far too fast, super league team did OK for 20 minutes then couldn't cope with the pressure being put on them.

I was proud of Leeds performance in the first half and 4-4 was much better than I was expecting. Always felt like the Cowboys had another few gears to go up to. Good learning explain everything for the young lads though lilley was great and caused problems. Sutcliffe needs game time hasn't quite found the form he had before his injury.

Always going to be difficult against the Aussies though the culture of rugby league over there is something else, pretty much double the salary cap and they have better facilities and a much better pool of youth players to choose from, if it was played at the end of the season score lines would be much worse.

We are best of just not comparing the leagues as there's no contest it's not a level playing field. What we need to do as a sport is pick one set of rules and stick to them no good having rules for super league, rules for nrl and then rules for international

Steel

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Tue Feb 23 2016, 22:48

I thought Leeds competed well. The main difference was the cowboys were just clinical in the 2nd half. And with your injuries I never thought you win, but you played well. If I was a Leeds fan, I'd be more worried with what happened in the Widnes game then thís one.

Whilst I agree with alot of what you put, I do feel that the fact we don't have a proper youth system through to the reserve team frustrating, in my opinion it should be 16,19,22 then a reserve team. Give the players time to develop within a club rather than playing n duel registration (which is a system I really don't agree with), we are losing 2 many young players with the current system. Because players are either offered a contract or are cut at 18. And it's hard to say if some will develop at that age.
I also feel that the way we coach player's to be a jack of all trades master of none dosn't help us, let a player learn his position and play him there, rather than if a forward to be able to play most positions.

Agree totally with your point about the rules. It's stupid to have so many different rules in one sport. Set the laws and everybody has to abide by them.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Wed Feb 24 2016, 19:53

I think you can be proud Steel, taking on yours' and Tiger's comments and adding the lack of training facilities due to flooding it was a fine effort, as is obvious particularly the first half.

I think Tiger you have hit the nail on the head, the players are of course products of their environment and need to show value earning a contract by being able to cover multiple positions. Not for one second do I blame them my work situation is very similar. The problem of course is when you meet top class opposition, John Wilkin as an example popping into my head, a very good loose forward playing at stand off. In SL ok, opposite Jayden Nokorima was never going to end well. In the end it comes down to money, we are not generating enough in the UK to compete and have those reserve and age group teams.

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Thu Feb 25 2016, 07:44

Your point about Wilkin is an excellent one. And I couldn't understand why he was playing there, when Burns was also on the pitch. They could of played a youngster there for the experience (like leeds's), after all it wasn't like the game meant anything.
The problem is ťhat alot of clubs (mine especially), would rather play players out of position than youngsters in there rightful position (Ryan Shaw is an example, mainly a FB, but can play anywhere across the backs, so is okay in alot of positions, rather than excellent in one).

Leeds's biggest problem to me at the moment, is they seem to be lacking an organizer other than McGuire.

The problem with regards money is ťhat were so far of Rugby Union & football, ťhat we're never going to get the sponsorship and other money in. And due to the lack of coverage on normal tv channels and in papers we're not going to attract new fans (all though I feel we're living in a world were people would rather watch on tv then go to games).
But the playing of games on Thurs/Fri rather than Sunday's dosn't help.
So there isn't the money to now start a proper youth system, and thís was the biggest failure of the franchise system, the SL clubs were getting all the money so it should already be in place. I also think thís should have been bought in instead of ťhe marquee thing, rise ťhe salary cap yes, but spend more on thís.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by Steel Fri Feb 26 2016, 09:05

Great game last night between Hull and Cas had some cracking tries and a bit of drama, quality drop goal from Luke Gale as well

Steel

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Wed Mar 02 2016, 01:51

Good point for your lot on Sunday Beast. Especially given how ťhe game went.
Also another outstanding result & performance by Batley. Championship seems quite open at the moment, be intresting to see who we get in ťhe middle 8's.

Also good to see Widnes at the top (and given they''ve got us on Friday they'll still be top after this weekend), and Cas doing well.

And congratulations to Lock Lane, Siddal, Kells, Featherstone Lions & Pilkington Recs for there outstanding wins against semi professional sides in the challenge cup.
Also good to see the York derby (City Nights v Acorn), get over 2000 supporters in.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Thu Mar 03 2016, 19:44

tigerrobins wrote:Good point for your lot on Sunday Beast. Especially given how ťhe game went.
Also another outstanding result & performance by Batley. Championship seems quite open at the moment, be intresting to see who we get in ťhe middle 8's.

Also good to see Widnes at the top (and given they''ve got us on Friday they'll still be top after this weekend), and Cas doing well.

And congratulations to Lock Lane, Siddal, Kells, Featherstone Lions & Pilkington Recs for there outstanding wins against semi professional sides in the challenge cup.
Also good to see the York derby (City Nights v Acorn), get over 2000 supporters in.

Very good point, couldn't go listened to radio commentary. 5 tries in the last 17 minutes having been comprehensively outplayed in the first hour!! Good news is that Jimmy Lowes acknowledges there are issues, bad news Sidlow has a broken hand joining Paul Clough and Ben Kavanagh out injured. Whilst the excellent Rhys Lovegrove has however signed a 2 year contract this week there is still no scrum-half.

Batley are flying great win at Fax, very impressive. Should be a good battle for the top 4 spots, Leigh, Bradford, Fax, London, Batley, Fev, Sheffield and not discounting Dewsbury, Glenn Morrison is a fine coach and motivator........errr ok that is most of the league!

I still think when you get Campese, Lunt et al back you will push on, perhaps Widnes/Salford will have injury issues later and fortunes reverse? Apparently you were close to turning Saints over last week.

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Fri Mar 04 2016, 00:20

The Beast wrote:
tigerrobins wrote:Good point for your lot on Sunday Beast. Especially given how ťhe game went.

Very good point, couldn't go listened to radio commentary. 5 tries in the last 17 minutes having been comprehensively outplayed in the first hour!!  Good news is that Jimmy Lowes acknowledges there are issues, bad news Sidlow has a broken hand joining Paul Clough and Ben Kavanagh out injured.  Whilst the excellent Rhys Lovegrove has however signed a 2 year contract this week there is still no scrum-half.

Batley are flying great win at Fax, very impressive. Should be a good battle for the top 4 spots, Leigh, Bradford, Fax, London, Batley, Fev, Sheffield and not discounting Dewsbury, Glenn Morrison is a fine coach and motivator........errr ok that is most of the league!

I still think when you get Campese, Lunt et al back you will push on, perhaps Widnes/Salford will have injury issues later and fortunes reverse?  Apparently you were close to turning Saints over last week.

Wish I had your confidence. There's no doubting we will be a better side when they come back (would add Larroyer & Mantellato for his goals), but could be out of touch by then. Really need something from ťhe next 3 games (Widnes & huddersfield away, Salford home), as then were into Easter with Hull home, Wigan & Leeds away. Not to down cast, just wish we'd stop having all these transition seasons.

Agree what you say about ťhe championship, early days but ťhe fact half ťhe league is in with a shout makes it very interesting,  and should be what the comps about.

Glad Lovegrove's signed for you, very solid player who always gives a hundred percent, and with all these ex-rovers players you have, can follow Bradford more closely without feeling guilty Very Happy
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by George Hotel1895 Sun Mar 06 2016, 12:26

We are not far behind the Aussies at international level, but light years behind them at club level on and off the pitcc

George Hotel1895

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Wed Mar 16 2016, 15:33

I was fortunate to see the Widnes/Hull FC game on Thursday whilst out, there may be issues at Hull (the players apparently asking the coaching staff to leave them after the game) however I thought Widnes were excellent particularly in attack. Great running angles, switching play either side of the ruck, very good and great entertainment.

Bradford having snatched a draw two weeks ago blew a 12 point lead at Batley. Listening to radio and other comments the lack of scrum half really beginning to hurt. Taking nothing away from Batley, they are a good side but are part-time, if the Bulls are going to be promoted (which I doubt) they need to be winning these games.

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by George Hotel1895 Wed Mar 16 2016, 23:58

The Beast wrote:I was fortunate to see the Widnes/Hull FC game on Thursday whilst out, there may be issues at Hull (the players apparently asking the coaching staff to leave them after the game) however I thought Widnes were excellent particularly in attack.  Great running angles, switching play either side of the ruck, very good and great entertainment.

Bradford having snatched a draw two weeks ago blew a 12 point lead at Batley.  Listening to radio and other comments the lack of scrum half really beginning to hurt.  Taking nothing away from Batley, they are a good side but are part-time, if the Bulls are going to be promoted (which I doubt) they need to be winning these games.
I think Denis Betts has got good coachs helping him to bring the best out in the Widnes players.

George Hotel1895

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Fri Mar 18 2016, 03:18

If Widnes keep going, and unless Salford are given a points deduction.
That's 2 sides out of ťhe bottom 4, hence the middle 8's.
Wonder who will replace them.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Sat Mar 19 2016, 08:51

tigerrobins wrote:If Widnes keep going, and unless Salford are given a points deduction.
That's 2 sides out of ťhe bottom 4, hence the middle 8's.
Wonder who will replace them.

It should make for an interesting race particularly if KR can start by beating Salford on Sunday. What I can be confident is that if things continue and Bradford do make the middle 8's???? you should not be concerned about being relegated. Granted the Challenge Cup is arguably a disctraction however the same issues arise over and over, not attempting to catch high kicks close to your goal line should I would have thought be fairly obvious, apparently not. Oh and to the best of my recollection you can't pass the ball forward, I listened to a dreadful performance last night at Dewsbury who were more enthusiastic and better drilled (coached) than the full time side. Sorry had to rant I feel sorry for those you spent their hard earned attending.

I do feel for you Tiger, Bradford were hammered pretty well every week in SL 2 years ago, it was blindingly obvious that they would be relegated even without a 6 point deduction, not fun.

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Sun Mar 20 2016, 18:49

Just on my way back from today's game (my first of the season), after seeing us pick up our first win. Whilst we deserved it, especially given our first half performance. Ťhe 2nd half we kept making ťhe same mistakes allowing Salford to stage a comeback in a game we should have had wrapped up.
We make these mistakes in our next 3 games the opposition will kill us.

I heard about your game from a Bradford fan, on ťhe train Leeds this morning. Said pretty much the same, and added that he just dosn't see any improvement. Thinks you be like last year,will win most games but lose 3/4.
I also didn't release, ťhat given all the talk about cost cutting during ťhe off season, that you still have a squad off 35. Not sure how that works, and in my opinion is to many for a competitive squad.

Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Mon Mar 21 2016, 20:25

tigerrobins wrote:Just on my way back from today's game (my first of the season), after seeing us pick  up our first win. Whilst we deserved it, especially given our first half performance. Ťhe 2nd half we kept making ťhe same mistakes allowing Salford to stage a comeback in a game we should have had wrapped up.
We make these mistakes in our next 3 games the opposition will kill us.

I heard about your game from a Bradford fan, on ťhe train Leeds this morning. Said pretty much the same, and added that he just dosn't see any improvement. Thinks you be like last year,will win most games but lose 3/4.
I also didn't release, ťhat given all the talk about cost cutting during ťhe off season, that you still have a squad off 35. Not sure how that works, and in my opinion is to many for a competitive squad.

I was pleased to see the result and KR getting off the mark, tough Easter but get a few bodies back and a couple more wins and hopefully build some confidence.

Bulls, yes 33 (I think but could be wrong), obviously you need a decent size squad covering injuries of which there are a few at the moment (Welham and Lovegrove both went off in the first 30 minutes on Friday). Competition for places sounds like a good idea until you realise that none of the options are as yet playing to the level required. They are overloaded in some areas with some strange signings and no specialist scrum half which goes back to your recent point concerning utility players. Danny Addy I think is/will be a very good "ball playing" loose-forward, whist he appears 100% committed and should be commended he is not a half back. At the moment if KR played the Bulls anything other than a repeat of the middle 8 mauling from last year would be a shock.

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Tue Mar 22 2016, 03:00

Whilst I get your point about injury cover, the problem I have with big squads is what to do with players when there fit.

Rovers have, Cockayne, Mantellato, Dixon, Sio, Minns, Thornley, Salter, Shaw as there backs. Whilst it looks good, and the covers there, that's 3 players sitting around doing nothing but out of practice when everyone fit. Which in my opinion does nothing for nobody.

Shaw played yesterday Beast, and played well as a winger. Trouble he has is Cockayne has been playing well at FB (he was excellent yesterday), and he's not going to displace ťhe centers. But he looks okay.

Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Fri Mar 25 2016, 10:11

Boils down to the debate regarding second teams, Bulls have previously sent players out on loan but I do agree why sign them if they are not going to play? Perhaps an indication of poor judgement. The club are talking about squad changes in and out shortly? Typical performance last night, good start look comfortable, then basic errors kick in and finish in a dogfight which could have gone the other way (happily not). Tough game at Fax Monday.

Good luck to KR today, a win following last week will kick start the season. Shaw is a decent player, support play a strength, make a break and he will be there to finish the job and can kick goals, however as mentioned in the off season defence including dealing with bombs needs to improve to be a regular imo.

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Fri Mar 25 2016, 10:27

One further point to make I would like to see referees use the sin bin more frequently. It only seems to be used for foul play, players conceeding holding down penalties following a break seem to be a regular occurance, should imo be regarded as a professional foul, sin bins please.

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Sun Apr 03 2016, 18:28

Interesting set of 3 games, Wakey and Catalans winning 3, Widnes the opposite!.

Good win Friday night for KR Tiger, better after the last 15 mins horror of the derby game, felt your pain.

Regarding the middle 8's whilst early Huddersfield and Leeds whilst more than capable will need to start winning soon if they are to avoid the bottom 4. Giants 14 games to go, 6 points and points difference issues from 8th, I suspect they will need to win at least half of their remaining games to make the top 8.

Bradford......well.....thrashed at home by Sheffield today, started well (12 - 0) then as they do fell apart. Appears to be alot wrong, we've touched the number of players, Jonny Walker signed in the off-season is now on loan at Dewsbury, Ritchie Mathers dropped from the 19 man squad. I cannot understand why they were signed. Sadly I think Jimmy Lowes might have done all he can and will be leaving very soon.

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Thu Apr 07 2016, 14:11

Was at the game on Friday Beast ( I'm having real fun thís season, been to 2 games, we've won them both scoring 74 points).
Rovers were very good, dominated most of the game. Just played basic RL, but played it well. The forwards ran hard and straight, the backs also. As you've said were not a bad side, and TO be fair we've played well since Webster's come in.
The derby was just one of those things were we ran out of energy/bodies and Hull made us pay.
Only bad thing about Friday was Campese going off after 15 mins and is now out for 6/8 weeks. That's 2 games he come back In, has not lasted a half and then been out for 10 weeks.

As for Leeds, if I was a fan I'd be really worried. There was no attack, there defence was average at best, and our forwards dominated by just playing basic run hard and straight. They were always going to struggle with the players they lost pre season.but I and quite a few rovers fans around me were surprised just how poor they were. And the Leeds fan I work with says they''ve been playing like that most games.

I still think that ourselves & Wakefield will be in the middle 8's despite there outstanding Easter. The size of our squads, injuries etc will count against us. Salford are dropping back down and should be getting a points deduction which will put them in it. I think that the 4th will be Huddersfield (they at hull on Friday), for the reasons you've put.
Though if ourselves or Wakefield continue our upward projectile then it becomes intresting. Especially given Hull & Catalans recent form.

As for the championship, Leigh are there given the size and depth of there squad. The other 3 places are really up for grabs.

I thought Halifax would beat you (they seem to have your number recently), I was surprised by how big your defeat to Şheffield was. It sounds like you have players just not playing. And because of your squad size I don't think he knows his best side, and keeps changing it to keep squad players happy.
I don't know weather Lowes has done a good job or not, he's done whats expected and no more. With your squad size and players I'd probably be expecting more. But if you get rid of him, who's out there to replace him, and will they do a better job?

I would just like to say that I'm against this idea of Canada joining league 1. Apparently they are going to have 2 squads which is against ťhe spirit of the game, play a month away ťhen a month home (which is logical). In a division of part time players who already have to get time off work to travel ťhe length and breadth of this country and a trip to France.
Oh and I can't see there being many away fans at there away games or there home ones.
I just can't see what they bring to the comp other than the fact that they're Canadian.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Fri Apr 15 2016, 12:20

So what can you say about Wakefield's amazing result v Wigan. Probably the most jaw dropping result in SL for the last couple of seasons.

Big weekend in SL, where everyone plays there game in hand on Rovers, Wakefield, Widnes & Salford, who are in challange cup action. Can't help but feel it's bigger for leeds's, who are already 6 points behind Salford in 8th place. And Widnes who could drop down a couple of places if results go against them.

As for the challange cup, couple of potentially cracking games. Dewsbury/York could be an excellent tie, personally think the tie of the round could be Toulouse v Leigh.

And step forward Swinton (away at Halifax), and Oldham (home to Sheffield), for the results of last week.

Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Sat Apr 16 2016, 19:27

Today's challenge cup games produce 2 suprising/shock results. Toulouse produce a great result in beating Leigh, in probably the best performance since there return.
But even this pales in significant, as Oldham beat Hull KR away. In what was apparently a fantastic performance. Getting a thoroughly deserved win. Only good thing being that I couldn't go.

But I am going to Cas next week. Last time I was at wheldon rd we lost 54-12. Not expecting anything but a similar result next week.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Sun Apr 17 2016, 07:51

Oldham have put a few results together of late inlcuding Sheffield which you referenced in an earlier post however that amazed me more than Wigan shipping 62 points at Wakefield. Notice the KR chairman went into meltdown "smoking dishonest people out", might be interesting who that is, I think you you see a positive reaction next week but pleased that you weren't there Tiger.

Bulls have now lost Matt Diskin to Batley for next year, a big blow imo, he would have been my choice to replace Lowes had/should he leave.

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Mon Apr 18 2016, 21:45

I should hope that there is a reaction after that performance. I don't ask for much, just that we put in 80 minutes of effort & hard work (which we obviously didn't on Saturday), if we lose we lose. But the reason I think Cas will win by alot more because they are a good side, with some very good strike players, and other than the 2 games I have been to kiss we are just not playing well.

I wish Hudgell would at times stop doing these rants. There is a suspicion that it's 1 in the coaching staff, and at least 1 in the playing staff.

Was surprised by you letting Diskin go, as like you said surely you were training him up to take over at Bradford. So this makes no sense to me, but then Kear going to his job at Wakefield makes no sense either.

Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by George Hotel1895 Wed Apr 20 2016, 01:51

When a team from a lower division knocks you out of the premier Rugby League cup competition on your home ground and that team has lost 6 out of 9 games in that league you know you have huge problems

George Hotel1895

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Wed Apr 20 2016, 11:00

George Hotel1895 wrote:When a team from a lower division knocks you out of the premier Rugby League cup competition on your home ground and that team has lost 6 out of 9 games in that league you know you have huge problems

True.

To many players not playing to a standard, injuries to key players, recruitment (Widnes have shown, keep a core of your good players & add a couple that will improve them). Last year Wembley and the middle 8's hid alot of the issues but they been there awhile.

Biggest problem this year is having an interim coach before employing a new coach. Dosn't help some of ťhe issues or make us feel confident of where the club is heading.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Sun Apr 24 2016, 19:25

tigerrobins wrote:I should hope that there is a reaction after that performance. I don't ask for much, just that we put in 80 minutes of effort & hard work (which we obviously didn't on Saturday), if we lose we lose. But the reason I think Cas will win by alot more because they are a good side, with some very good strike players, and other than the 2 games I have been to kiss we are just not playing well.

I wish Hudgell would at times stop doing these rants. There is a suspicion that it's 1 in the coaching staff, and at least 1 in the playing staff.

Was surprised by you letting Diskin go, as like you said surely you were training him up to take over at Bradford. So this makes no sense to me, but then Kear going to his job at Wakefield makes no sense either.

Wow, now that is how to react after a bad day at the office!!!!! Well played KR.

Rumours regarding Mitch Clarke gathering pace, not the finished article, spills the ball a bit too often but a talent no doubt.

Local radio suggesting that Bradford might announcing their new coach as early as tomorrow, Glenn Morrison still favourite.

Salford's alleged salary cap breach hearing also tomorrow (25/4).

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Sun Apr 24 2016, 21:22

It was a very good performance, especially 2nd half (which we won 38-0), every one played really well, the amount f breaks we made reached stupid portions, add in the fact we missed 4 conversions just shows how dominant we were. It was just a fantastic day.

As for me 3 games been to, 3 wins (Salford 44-30, at Leeds 30-10 & at Cas 58-16, 26 tries scored. And I've seen us miss 7 conversions not bad I guess.

Heard at the game that the Mitch Clarke deal is virtually done, we seem to be going through a of signing young unproven players.

Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Tue Apr 26 2016, 02:52

The 3 front runners for the Bradford job are apparently Glen Morrison (Dewsbury), Richard Marshall (Halifax) & Scott Naylor (Oldham). With the first two favorites.

If that's true, who would you prefer Beast.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Tue Apr 26 2016, 21:51

I believe Richard Marshall has been quoted as not wishing to be considered. To be honest I am not qualified to say who is the better coach, of the other two perhaps Glen Morrison on the basis that to the best of my knowledge he has a little more experience at Championship level. Someone who can engineer a cohesive and faster playing style will do for me*, there is quality with some injured players hopefully returning e.g. Adam Sidlow & Ben Kavanagh which should see a return to form. Tough and important game at London this Sunday.

* Uummm, on balance this might be a bit fanciful.

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Sun May 15 2016, 17:24

9 games to go in SL, with Wakefield winning against an under strength Warrington and very fortunate to beat Widnes I cannot see both Leeds and Huddersfield avoiding the middle 8's. Huge win for KR today now only 3 points behind Widnes, can you do it Tiger?

London surprisingly well beaten at Fev, Bradford and Fev both now 4 behind, Bulls with a game in hand. Bulls who play Leigh twice more this year have a big game at Sheffield Friday night who easily won the reverse fixture a few weeks ago. Leigh as expected running away with it, very close 3 - 6.

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Wed May 18 2016, 02:19

No I think we're going to be in the middle 8's, our aim at the moment is surely to Finnish 9/10 and get the 4 home games. Stranger things have happened and we are getting players back. But I think we're just to inconsistent.
As for the other spots, I think you're right. Though the comments from Leeds's coach & chairman confuse me, aren't they watching the games & performance's because from what I've seen they are dire.
As employable as Wakefield have been it's hard to see them keeping it up. Hull FC have been impressive Catalans looking good as well.

Also, if your picking the England team now. You'd have to have Watts, Taylor, Houghton Shaul from Hull, Gale & Hodgson in your starting 17. As they are by far the form players. Sadly I don't think 3 of them will even get in the squad.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Tue May 24 2016, 17:48

So that's the SL magic weekend over.  And it gets a record attendance. Though I would still like to move it around íts hard not to think it may have found a natural home.

The Wakefield/ Catalan game was the best one for me, and despite being out scored on the try front. Wakefield amazing form continues thanks to a fluke DG, Chester for coach of the year?

Cas produce a superb fightback to win against Warrington, Leeds's coach continues to talk rubbish, Huddersfield give an excellent excellent performance against a dire Saints (really don't think Saints are that good). Hull Fc go top after there expected win against Rovers. And just what has happened to Widnes? So good at the start of the season, that's now 8 losses in a row.

This weekend see's the championship summer bash at Blackpool, along with the ipro cup final (no offence to York, but I think pretty much every neutral will be wanting Keighley to win after there last year).

Talking of the championship, With Leigh virtually guaranteed a top 4 spot, and Sheffield now 6 points behind Halifax in 7th, you would think its 3 from 5 for the top 4, & middle 8's. You would fancy London who's form has been very impressive this season, Bradford because it's well Bradford, and they'll win more than they lose. Leaving Batley, Featherstone & Halifax for the last spot. I hope Batley get it, as there results, performance's and just the fact that at the start of the season they were never considered. And in some quarters thought to be relegation candidates.

Also good to see Marwin's revolution last 3 day's, and the the RL papers reporters giving him a bit of a kicking. Perhaps now he'll just concentrate on running his club legally.

Also at this moment, on Saturday I will be at Featherstone to watch the BARLA national cup final between Myton Warriors & Thornhill Trojans. Now given that Myton are a Hull side, there's no guessing who I will be supporting on the day. But I'm looking forward to a great day, and an exciting match.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Tue May 24 2016, 18:11

Another interesting weekend of games, big win for Salford (and those in proximity) beating Widnes. I saw TV coverage of Wakefield v Catalans. The latter twice led but to my untrained eye on both occasions let Wakey back into the game who to their credit simply would not give in.

After seeing Hull hammered at Widnes 2 months' ago if someone had said they would be top I would have laughed, some turnaroud.

Bulls a nervy and essential win at Sheffield (14 - 25). The home side taking a deserved 14 - 6 lead just before the hour and would have been more but for Danny Williams fantastic cover tackle. Bulls have Leigh at the Big Bash, likely to be without Gaskell, Kavanagh, Welham and Purtell, not promising at all. Assuming they lose this and third game vs Leigh (away) I think they will have to win all other games to ensure top 4 and maybe catch London for second spot. On the plus side the club are hoping to announce a new scrum half soon. An actual scrum half I hope!.

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Sun May 29 2016, 09:09

Gutted.....last minute winner for Leigh last night. Massive improvement for the Bulls but credit to Leigh, Ben Reynolds looks a great prospect, Josh Drinkwater apparently chose Leigh over Bradford when signing 2 weeks ago and was imo the difference between the sides. I know I am a broken record but a scrum half is a must.

Big game for KR on Thursday night at Wakey, tough following the trip to France but possible, perhaps a must win?

Any chance you saw the Bulls game Tiger, thinking specifically of your thoughts on Addy at Hooker (impressive imo) and Mitch Clarke.

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Mon May 30 2016, 19:52

Just to add Tiger I am not suggesting Addy should play at Hooker, more his versatility. He is a LF all day for my money.

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Tue May 31 2016, 02:47

The Beast wrote:Gutted.....last minute winner for Leigh last night.  Massive improvement for the Bulls but credit to Leigh, Ben Reynolds looks a great prospect, Josh Drinkwater apparently chose Leigh over Bradford when signing 2 weeks ago and was imo the difference between the sides. I know I am a broken record but a scrum half is a must.

Big game for KR on Thursday night at Wakey, tough following the trip to France but possible, perhaps a must win?

Any chance you saw the Bulls game Tiger, thinking specifically of your thoughts on Addy at Hooker (impressive imo) and Mitch Clarke.

I was at work, so no didn't see your game.

But have said on here before that I rate Addy, and again without sounding like a broken record we have been crying out for years for a ball playing LF, and I really feel that he could be that player.
Apparently Clarke has quite a few clubs after him (Leeds latest to be rumored). Hopefully we will get them both, but if we were to only get one I would far rather ťhat it be Addy. Also we've got Lunt & Boudebza with Lawler Cockayne also able to play hooker, so doubt he play hooker, and if he does something has gone seriously wrong.

What do you think of the big bash Beast? Is it working in your opinion?

A rumour doing the rounds which I really hope not true, but apparently if McNamara does become Rovers coach (which I also hope dosn't happen), then a certain James Lowes could be coming as his Assistant.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Wed Jun 01 2016, 14:21

Mitch Clarke has two gears, 100 miles per hour or stop, no reverse at all so I would not be surprised if has more than one offer however everything I have read/heard suggests both he and Addy have signed for KR but nothing is official of course.

The big bash........an interesting idea perhaps not aimed at regular fans however. Record attendances last week and there is Sky coverage which is good, I agree with your comments on the Magic weekend, moving it around sounds like a good idea. Anything that raises the games' profile cannot not be a bad move, just wonder how many "new" supporters continue to watch thereafter.

McNamara, I feel for him to be honest, coaching at any club on a downwards spiral like Bradford must be very difficult if not impossible and personally I thought he did well with England. Marc Green (Bulls Chairman) recently sited the NRL clubs dominance at the World series being a significant factor in hiring Rohan Smith who has coaching experience from various NRL sources. McNamara appears to be following perhaps a similar path working with Trent Robinson so if it is him perhaps he can bring over some of their ideas to Hull KR. Lowes to the best of my knowledge is back at Leeds Carnegie RU, given that he was McNamara's England assistant I would not be surprised if this is pure speculation. I am not sure where it went wrong for him this season, but again I do think he has something to offer and he does love the game.

If not McNamara, do you have a preference? Tony Smith was also rumoured but I think he has signed an extension at Wire?.

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Thu Jun 02 2016, 02:05

I have heard that neither have actually signed, but that they are close to.

I quite like the big bash as an idea. I'm just not sure that it works in practice, if you look at Saturday's attendance than it was always going to be bigger. Especially as the Leigh/Bradford game was on then.
But agree with your point that it's not aimed at regular fans.
If they are serious about losing one of the Easter games, then I do feel that both events will have to go to accommodate the other game. Which I'm not sure isn't a bad thing, as I do think the fixtures are abit unfair. We get Hull everytime where as Salford get different fixtures.

I do agree with your point about the tv coverage for the championship clubs, I still think that sky should if not show a live game, then at least show a weekly round up, and this would in turn help the middle 8's by generating more intrest, by building it up all year.

My problem with McNamara is not his record (though I do feel he was poor at Bradford, though that could be also down to him not being ready). It's more his style, Rovers have always been a better team when throwing the ball around. He tends to favor a more forward game which we're just not good at.
Lowes has apparently not signed a contract at Leeds's, or if he has it was to the end of there season. That's why the rumors have started, Agree and think its quite sad that someone with his obvious love and knowledge is not involved in the game at some aspect.
Sort of feel that he's a number 2, not 1. And that modern squad sizes were part of the reason it went wrong.

Trouble is Beast, unless we go the Aussie route, I generally don't know any other coaches I would prefer, and I don't know enough about them to have a preference.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Fri Jun 03 2016, 08:02

I have a couple of days off and went out to watch the Wakey/KR match last night. Important and dominant win, some nice off-loads from Tilse, Green impressive and Lunt played well off the back of them. Albert Kelly MoM which normally bothers me as the half-backs always get credit however he was everywhere working his nuts off. Dixon's hat-trick try shows what he can do.....satellite player, bit of space = try time. Wakefield.......almost like watching a 2015 video on that showing, defence awful.

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Fri Jun 03 2016, 09:27

The Beast wrote:I have a couple of days off and went out to watch the Wakey/KR match last night.  Important and dominant win, some nice off-loads from Tilse, Green impressive and Lunt played well off the back of them.  Albert Kelly MoM which normally bothers me as the half-backs always get credit however he was everywhere working his nuts off.  Dixon's hat-trick try shows what he can do.....satellite player, bit of space = try time.  Wakefield.......almost like watching a 2015 video on that showing, defence awful.

It's whats made this season so frustrating, during the mediocrity we produce wonderful displays like this (Cas & leeds's away). Thought all the forwards did well. Think the fact Campese's back to control Rovers has helped Kelly, Blair's been the player of the season.
I was pleased for Dixon, alot of Rovers fans don't like him because of his defensive frailties, I do because his speed and attacking abilities are what he's there for more than defence.

Need to back it up now.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Sat Jun 04 2016, 02:46

Should also add that it leaves us in an interesting position with regards Webster. There's no doubting that he's improved the confidence, and the style of rugby which seems to inspire the players. And yet he's not getting the job? Sort of hope that we keep him as a number 2, with what he's done he deserves that at least.

Also well done Keighley (ipro cup), and Thornhill (BARLA national cup), on there respective triumphs.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Sun Jun 05 2016, 17:09

Well I hope your guys back up better than Bradford, a much improved effort vs Leigh but have just lost at home to Dewsbury following a dire display. 18 handling errors, completion rate in the first half of 47%, they did drag the game back to 14 - 14 with a last minute penalty only to concede a penalty trying to grubber the ball downfield from 20 metres from their own line as time expired. Down to 6th in the table, obviously struggling now to make the top 4 which is unthinkable.

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Tue Jun 07 2016, 21:24

Still think you'll make the top 4 (after all 2 points behind with a game in hand is not to bad, though obviously not good). But the fact that at best I think 3/4 place with what that entails (3 home 4 away), will mean that, in my opinion you would be very lucky to be in with a shout of the 4/5 place play off game (should you get in of course). Be funny if it's Leeds/Bradford in that game, it not going to happen, but still you can wish can't you?
Not quite sure were it went wrong for you, the fact as you say of not having a SH is a problem. But when you look at the rest of your squad, there's more than enough quality there.

Castleford continue there recent sparkling form since Rovers stuffed them. And a massive game this Friday as table toppers Hull FC travel to 2nd place Warrington in what should be a cracking game.
Given how the usual top 4 are playing (apart from Wire of course), could we see 2 completely different names on the top prizes this year?

Congratulations to Oxford, who finally win a game, the last league side to do so.

Also just how boring was state of origin 1, a poor game in my opinion. And how can it claim to be the best of the best? Radradra (best winger), Milford (best SO), Hodgson (best Hooker), Graham (best Forward), not to mention the Kiwi's that are in great form can't play.
It seems a shame that players and the NRL are willing to sacrifice international rugby, because/for this.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Tue Jun 07 2016, 22:16

If you are going to be a contender in the middle 8's you can't imo lose at home to a part-time side in that manner,completing 1 set in the first 6 is just shocking. Sure Dewsbury are a solid well coached side, thoroughly deserved their win but are miles away from SL. If that was a middle 8's game vs Leeds or any other SL side it would have been a cricket score.....before half time.

Desperate for a SH, they have signed Lewis Charnock (Saints) for 1 month (Gaskell's hamstring rumoured to be worse than first thought) which can only improve matters, the Danny Addy/Richie Mathers/Oscar Thomas hb combinations would have SL sides sleeping soundly the night before.

I agree top 4 should be interesting, Hull/Wire game Friday, might go out to see that one, if not listen for radio coverage.

State of Origin 1, dull as old washing up water. Kurt Gidley was in the press last week saying they have been the toughest games of his career and how much they mean, it did come across as having more priority than internationals.

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Wed Jun 08 2016, 06:05

True, if you're gonna be challenging, you can't lose to Dewsbury. Especially not at home. I expected you to lose the odd game, but maybe only lose to the top sides at home.
But I don't understand is you have good players in most positions (apart from SH obviously). And experienced players who just don't seem to be leading/doing anything. Last season's middle 8's were poor for you, with some big defeats. I thought you were building a decent squad to build on that, but you just seem to have gone backwards, and that's whats hard to understand from the outside.
I also don't get why, in a game you've played poorly in, but could be escaping with a point, you do something as risky and dumb as that with less than a minute to go. Take the point, go again next week.

With the form Hull and Catalans are showing the top 4 is open, hopefully they can continue. The other 2 places, could be open till the end of the 8's, which is whats needed for it to survive. Rather than the already closed shop it was last season before it started.

Trouble with international rugby is that its only really 3 countries, and one of them is now so far ahead that it's becoming boring (anyone really think it won't be an Australia/new Zealand final (providing the Kiwi's top players can play),in the 4 nation's)? I know I sound like a broken record, but until we get more international comps to improve the other nations, and make it competitive, then it will always be behind the state of origin.
And we now the NRL would rather have it that way. Trouble is A) Queensland's dominance, B) the NRL seems to be producing similar types of players, and not the exciting ones who turn up 1 game in 3 (look at Sandrow's & Kelly's form since being in SL), C) the hype is so much that the game will rarely match it.

Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next