The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

General RL Discussion!

+5
Steel
TopoftheChops
RuggerFan
Luke
Pal Joey
9 posters

Page 3 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down

General RL Discussion! - Page 3 Empty General RL Discussion!

Post by Luke Mon 24 Mar 2014, 12:21 pm

First topic message reminder :

A thread we're we can discuss our sides, what's happening in RL, the future and everything else to do with Rugby League.

I really hope that Cas can keep up there early form and stay in the top 8.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

General RL Discussion! - Page 3 Empty Re: General RL Discussion!

Post by The Beast Sun 12 Jun 2016, 8:02 pm

Have to say the first 60 minutes of Wire/Hull was awful, laughable excuses from the Sky team for dropping the ball so often, new balls......really. I appreciate he was on the losing side but I do think Stefan Ratchford is doing a good job at full back.

A bitter defeat Tiger and I do think the bottom four are now set, but a strong performance, I do not see you in danger of relegation.

Bradford........scrapped past bottom side Workington today, went from 18 - 6 up to 22 - 18 down, saved by a late Lewis Charnock try, thank you Kieron Cunningham for the loan. Oldam away on Wednesday followed by Batley and Halifax at home, it's simple (but difficult on current form) 3 wins nothing else will do.

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Fri 17 Jun 2016, 12:50 pm

The Beast wrote:Have to say the first 60 minutes of Wire/Hull was awful, laughable excuses from the Sky team for dropping the ball so often, new balls......really.  I appreciate he was on the losing side but I do think Stefan Ratchford is doing a good job at full back.

A bitter defeat Tiger and I do think the bottom four are now set, but a strong performance, I do not see you in danger of relegation.

Bradford........scrapped past bottom side Workington today, went from 18 - 6 up to 22 - 18 down, saved by a late Lewis Charnock try, thank you Kieron Cunningham for the loan.  Oldam away on Wednesday followed by Batley and Halifax at home, it's simple (but difficult on current form) 3 wins nothing else will do.

It was a disappointing result, and I agree that the only thing that might change in the bottom 4 will be to do with Salford's point deduction. Injuries could be our problem (Campese's hamstring done again, Kelly left in a protection boot), but other than Leigh, I don't think the championship top 4 look as strong as last year. All good sides that are capable of getting a result, and with good players. But not consistent enough to do it week in week out. Also not helped by who is probably going to be in the bottom 4.

Also well done Wakefield in proving me wrong and staying in the top 8's.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Mon 27 Jun 2016, 6:15 am

I've got to say, I was really disappointed with the 31 Wayne Bennett picked when he was over here.
Again looked like he just going for names rather than people in form. How Hardaker and Roby were in and Shaul and Houghton weren't is beyond me.
It's also disappointing to hear he's trying to get some players from the NRL to change nationalities, we got good enough players here.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Mon 27 Jun 2016, 9:56 pm

My guess is that Bennett has not seen much SL and is selecting familar names. Agree with your comments on Hardaker, I have not seen much of Roby of late to comment. Not sold on Shaul, great in attack not convinced on his defence.

Bennett is apparently taking to the Morris twins who qualify as English, this I do not understand, we have imo top class wingers in Hall, Briscoe, McGillvary.

Bradford.......sigh......a home loss to Fax who were worthy winners, struggling to make the top 4.....stunned. They are however about to sign Joe Keyes from London, I expect a large turnover of players with so many OOC, Gaskell, Olbison & Ferguson to Hudds, Addy & Clarke to KR. Not reaching the middle 8's could however ruin plans for next year.

More interestingly was the Ben Heaton "incident", injured early the game stopped for over 10 minutes eventually an ambulance went pitch side and it did not look good at all. The ambulance drove away, stopped before the games. Heaton got out went back to the pitch and tried to re-join the match!! He was eventually persuaded to get checked at hospital. One tough determined barsteward.

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Sun 03 Jul 2016, 9:01 pm

Bradford again edged out by a late Leigh try, now relying on other teams to lose 2 of their final three games to have a chance at the top 4, not impossibly as Batley, Fax & Fev have tough games but not a good situation. Have to ask why they cannot produce the form against Leigh in other games, mystified to be honest?

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Mon 04 Jul 2016, 8:33 pm

Obviously not watching them, so not knowing full. But from the outside I would say that they think that Leigh are a big team, were as they should be beating the others, so you've got to question motivation. And desire, as they are willing to roll there selves up and dig in against Leigh that they maybe aren't willing to against other teams, who they just expect to beat in the end.

Gutsy performance and point for Rovers, were in the middle 8's, but really need to Finnish in the 9/10 spot, as we really need the 4 home games, which could be the difference (though our best performance's have been away).

And definitely in the middle 8's are Leeds's, after there 15th loss of the season.
This could act against you Beast, after all the monetary benefits and exposure sides will get from playing Leeds's could get them more motivated. Look at ťhe benefits if your Batley (who in my opinion deserve to be in there).
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Sat 09 Jul 2016, 9:47 am

Good comeback win last night Tiger, confirming Huddersfield's place in the middle 8's. Went out and saw Leeds beat Hull FC, good value hard to understand why they are bottom. Aside from the million pound game where anything could happen, I cannot see a Championship side being promoted.

You are absolutely right regarding Bradford, missing the middle 8's and game v Leeds & Huddersfield in particular would be a disaster. The loss of revenue will have implications I am sure. Marc Green said they will be full-time next year however I would imagine that is based on the money from the middle 8's? Some wierd and probably drunken rumours that Marwan Koukash would like to invest in/buy the club.

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Fri 15 Jul 2016, 4:09 am

Following Hull's fairly comfortable derby win, the teams in the 8's have all been confirmed.
In the super 8's will be Hull, Wigan, Warrington, Catalan, St Helens, Castleford, Widnes & Wakefield.

And in the middle 8's will be Hull KR, Salford, Huddersfield, Leeds. Along with Leigh & London Broncos definitely, and 2 from Batley, Halifax, Bradford & Featherstone.
Got to say, if your a championship side with Leeds's Huddersfield and ourselves you could be looking at decent amount of money if you get the home games.

Though I sort of agree with Beast, other then Leigh, you might get the odd shock but it's hard not to see the SL clubs not staying up. Leigh if they get into the million pound game could cause an upset.

I can see why you'd be staying full time given the amount of players other clubs seem to be signing from you, and that you have a squad of over 30 players, which if you cut should save money.
But agree you really need the money from the 8's, especially given that 3 of the sides could potentially bring a few fans if you got them at home.
Problem if you don't get in the 8's is who you could attract? And will the crowds drop next year.

And can someone please tell Marwin to shut up. You've been found guilty twice now, you messed up. Deal with it.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Sun 17 Jul 2016, 7:07 am

I think the sea change at Bradford is happening, the club a fantastic academy and this week have promoted 6 from the under 19's to full time contracts for next year. Joe Lumb and now Ethan Ryan who are also home grown have signed extended deals, this imo better than some of the strange signings over the past two seasons. Why sign Ritchie Mathers, play him for 2 games then realise he isn't the answer and drop him, did no-one do their homework? They have also secured Cameron Scott for the U'16's, much sought after talented player.

Good luck Thursday Tiger, as mentioned 4 home games in the middle 8's would be a bonus.

Catalan Dragons, I cannot recall a more talented but lazy and poor disciplined side, again they play Wakey, have a decent lead and let it go, an identical situation to the Magic game. OK there were a couple of crazy decisions however it's not new news Wakey play at 100% for every minute, you have to be prepared to do the same, even at home apparently they do not understand this.

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Fri 22 Jul 2016, 10:20 pm

Tough loss Tiger, will you be bringing anyone in for the middle 8's? You seem to have a number of injuries, a couple more might leave you a bit vulnerable? I do think George Lawler looks an excellent academy product.

Hull finish the "regular" season on top,a month ago there was speculation regarding Keiron Cunningham's job, 5 wins later, top 4 and possibly the form team!!!. Tough to predict a grand final Hull I think v Wire/Wigan/Saints or Dragons!!

Roll on to Sunday, Fev v Bradford. Fev perhaps slight favourites being at home and in good form winning at Batley and Halifax something the Bulls have been unable to do this year. Bradford have Gaskell back and will actually have a choice at half back with Chisholm and on loan Lewis Charnock!!. A real shame it is not on TV it should be a cracker, apparently the RFL asked Sky but to no avail.

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Sun 24 Jul 2016, 8:10 pm

Listened to the game via radio, well played Featherstone deserved and very comfortable winners today. Rovers forwards making a mockery of Bradford's full time players marching them up and down the pitch at will. Bradford conceding 16 penalties and making 16 handling errors.......pants.

Championship shield reasonably meaningless (other than the relegation battle). I would be inclined to play some of the juniors who have recently signed, may as well start preparing for next year.

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Tue 02 Aug 2016, 8:52 pm

Well played Hull FC & Warrington who have made it through to the CC Final, should be a good game.

Hull KR lose James Green for the rest of the season through injury, I am a bit surprised they have not brought anyone in to bolster the squad which imo looks most vulnerable SL side in the middle 8's. Thoughts Tiger?

Could be worse of course, the way things are looking there may not be much of a Bradford club left. Hopefully it is all blown out of proportion however with a winding up petition to defend no MD and rumours of staff not being paid it is a grim time.

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Fri 05 Aug 2016, 9:49 pm

Think you're right with both your points Beast.

Bradford should play more of your youngsters, and players who will be there next year. Some Bradford fans I know were at Fev and were disgusted with the effort the team put in.
If you don't win the shield (which will be hard), then this season which has been terrible already becomes disastrous in my opinion. Need to show something to look forward to.
I also don't understand how you keep getting into the same situation off field, surely someone somewhere got to learn.

as for Rovers, think you're right. We are the most vulnerable and it wouldn't suprise me if we're in the million pound game. The fact we play both our away games one after another, that we play Leeds's, Salford away, then Leigh Home in games 2,3,4, could put us in real trouble. I really do think we could be back in the championship next year. Plus as you say, the fact we haven't bought in anyone just to give the team a boast is abit disheartening. Need to win on Sunday.

listening to Hull/Cas shows that the super 8's really need to start it with all sides start on nil points, with the league leaders sheild given after the 23 proper rounds.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Sat 06 Aug 2016, 3:18 pm

To be honest not making the top 4 is a disaster and frankly disgraceful. The Bulls have a soft underbelly and Fev played it perfectly rolling down the middle channels, kicking in the corners and keeping the pressure on. I have seen the game up to the 60 minute mark aka "the scrum" where at 18 - 0 down a scrum was awarded, a desperate team rush to form the scrum and stop the clock, not the Bulls they had been bullied and had given up. I agree it is important to finish the season well but the shield purely as a fan and entertainment.........not sure I am too fussed, Bulls cannot be relegated and will probably make the semi's even if they lose all 7 games. I have been planning all year to travel up for these extra games (expecting middle 8's!!) might still go, depends on the attitude of the players starting at Whitehaven, Fax will I am sure be tough mind. Sorry bit of a rant.

Good luck in the 8's Tiger, I think you'll be ok subject to futher injuries, homes game are must wins imo. Batley have a typical Championship pack i.e. big props and two decent halves, win the rucks you'll shut them down and beat them out wide with your extra quality.

I listened to the same game, I suspect Hull had some mental and physical fatigue it was a hell of a semi v Wigan. I think the issue is too many teams in the playoffs, if they re-started on zero points there would have to be a big incentive to finish top 4 after the first 23. The whole thing is contrived and there to gain imcome imo.

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Fri 19 Aug 2016, 10:04 am

Good luck tonight Tiger, huge game v Salford. Are you "happy" with the middle 8's to date? Big win v Batley and a narrow loss to Leeds. I appreciate Leigh beat Salford but I would still bet on KR when you play them at home.

Went to Odsal Sunday, Keiran Moss scored a stunning try catching a kick 10 metres out, side-stepping and then outpacing the remaining defense to score. He & Chisholm were a step above everyone else (a debate for another day), Bradford season imo demonstrated in one 40 second period. Chisholm brilliantly grubber kicked and collected a goal line drop out, weaved to the 40 yard line, Bulls dropped the next pass cold!

Huge turn over of players at the club at the end of the season, Gaskell, Ferguson, Clough, Pitts, Olbison, Crossley, Danny Williams, Purtell, Addy, Clark, Lauaki and possibly more all going, a combination of a terrible year and cost cutting. Leon Pryce, Manani, Foster & Magrin (all London) thought be coming in.

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Fri 19 Aug 2016, 9:55 pm

Salford v KR just finished, great result for you Tiger. I listened to some of the radio commentary who were certain the best side won. Still work to do however a home win over Leigh and you're looking good for a top 3 finish.

Salford however.......2 straight losses including Leigh, now under a lot of pressure to win at Leeds in 2 weeks.

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Sat 20 Aug 2016, 3:16 am

The Beast wrote:Salford v KR just finished, great result for you Tiger.  I listened to some of the radio commentary who were certain the best side won.  Still work to do however a home win over Leigh and you're looking good for a top 3 finish.  

Salford however.......2 straight losses including Leigh, now under a lot of pressure to win at Leeds in 2 weeks.

it was a big win, and the lads played very well. Takes a bit of pressure off the Leigh game, which is massive for both sides, and should be a cracking game. Off to get my ticket for it on Monday.
it's a terrible result for Salford though, especially as you would expect Leigh (v Featherstone), and Huddersfield (v Batley) to win. To not turn up for this game is shocking, though there saving grace could be that we play Leigh next, and Huddersfield have still to play us, Leigh & Leeds. While after Leeds, Salford have 2,3,4 of the championship sides to play.

see you've already qualified for the semis. Would you rotate some of your players in the games left to keep them fresh? I know what your saying, but abit of silverware after the season you've had, would be nice for you wouldn't it? And show your heading in the right direction at least.

championship could be very hard next year, Toulouse will win a few, and with the possibility of a current SL side as well, and clubs trying to do a Batley, think it could be a tight division.

tragic about Sheffield (another side who have been badly effected by not being in the 8's again). There ground situation not helping, and they don't seem to be able to grow there support. Having seen Rovers play them a few times, and been down to Sheffield a few times, I've always found there support friendly, and it to be a smashing club. And given the success they've had the last few years I really do hope it works out for them.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Sun 21 Aug 2016, 3:32 pm

I agree with your comments on the other thread the RFL will be desperate to demonstrate the current P&R system works. What it does it make the Qualifiers excellent entertainment, great win on Friday but still work to do.

Bulls are playing Oldham this afternoon and are rotating players as suggested with two making debuts, Joe Keys (SO) and James Bentley (LF) and Ethan Ryan (Wing) an U19 who has only played a couple of games. You are right, the shield is silverware and the winner gets £50k. 7 games a semi-final and potentially a final it is there to be won. The championship will be tough next year, Bradford I think won't be widely fancied to make the top 4, club making a statement tomorrow morning?

Sheffield, the ground cannot help, I have not been to Hallam Uni but from the video of the Bulls game it does not really appear ideal (better than nothing of course). The main issue as far as I know is their investor being unable/unwilling to continue funding the club earlier this year, after agreeing to go full time and agreeing contracts etc nothing short of a kick in the teeth.

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Mon 22 Aug 2016, 11:19 pm

Whilst I like the current formats, scores like yours do nothing to help it. Apparently your younger players played well, and you looked good. Oldham were nothing short of a disgrace.
Sad to see Workington & Whitehaven look like there going down, which unless Barrow come up (and they're doing well at the moment), will leave Cumbria without a presence outside league 1.
And if your a Keighley fan (for example), a bad time traveling to see your team with trips to Gateshead, 3 to Cumbria, north and south Wales, London, Coventry, Hemel, Oxford, Gloucestershire, not forgetting Toronto. Going to cost a hell of alot there, only silver lining is it looks like Toulouse are going up.

The middle 8's dose look fastening. And to be fair is why this competition was set up. At this moment it looks like not just every game that matters, but every score as points difference could have a big say.
next rd see's Hull KR v Leigh, Leeds's v Salford, Huddersfield/ London.
And then if you factor in, Huddersfield's last 3 are Leeds, Leigh and Hull KR. Leigh have Huddersfield and Leeds's still to play. We have London, Featherstone away. Still think there are plenty of shakes still to come. Could go to final games which I know 2 are Hull KR v huddersfield and Leigh at Leeds.

unfortunately all other comps are as good as over.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by George Hotel1895 Wed 24 Aug 2016, 8:02 am

Just a question. Do other posters think that Wayne Bennett will bring English heritage players into the England squad for the forthcoming 4 nations?

George Hotel1895

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Fri 02 Sep 2016, 9:55 pm

tigerrobins wrote:Whilst I like the current formats, scores like yours do nothing to help it.   Apparently your younger players played well, and you looked good. Oldham were nothing short of a disgrace.
Sad to see Workington & Whitehaven look like there going down, which unless Barrow come up (and they're doing well at the moment), will leave Cumbria without a presence outside league 1.
And if your a Keighley fan (for example), a bad time traveling to see your team with trips to Gateshead, 3 to Cumbria,  north and south Wales, London, Coventry, Hemel, Oxford, Gloucestershire, not forgetting Toronto. Going to cost a hell of alot there, only silver lining is it looks like Toulouse are going up.

The middle 8's dose look fastening. And to be fair is why this competition was set up. At this moment it looks like not just every game that matters, but every score as points difference could have a big say.
next rd see's Hull KR v Leigh, Leeds's v Salford, Huddersfield/ London.
And then if you factor in, Huddersfield's last 3 are Leeds, Leigh and Hull KR. Leigh have Huddersfield and Leeds's still to play. We have London, Featherstone away. Still think there are plenty of shakes still to come. Could go to final games which I know 2 are Hull KR v huddersfield and Leigh at Leeds.

unfortunately all other comps are as good as over.

Good luck tomorrow Tiger.

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Sat 03 Sep 2016, 9:38 pm

Was at today's game,and I've got to say only one team deserved or looked like they wanted to win it, and that wasn't Rovers. Absolutely dreadful performance. Nothing in attack, average defence, no intensity or urgency.
Leigh deserved the win, but will need to add to the squad big time.

I know you should win tomorrow but hope they put on a good show for you.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Sun 04 Sep 2016, 8:32 am

tigerrobins wrote:Was at today's game,and I've got to say only one team deserved or looked like they wanted to win it, and that wasn't Rovers. Absolutely dreadful performance. Nothing in attack, average defence, no intensity or urgency.
Leigh deserved the win, but will need to add to the squad big time.

I know you should  win tomorrow but hope they put on a good  show for you.

I went out and watched the game. For the first 20 - 30 minutes I was thinking of the gulf between SL and Championship even with big spending Leigh. I thought your pack troubled them with footwork and moving forward in pods of 2, 3 or 4 making the defence guess as to who would actually take the ball into contact, using Leigh's aggression against them. I am unsure if KR got worse or Leigh improved but for whatever reason this stopped and it was one out, much easier to defend and Leigh's aggression worked for them, perhaps your injuries also took their toll but heads certainly went down. Albert Kelly.........I hope and assume he had damn good reason for his actions, if I were him I wouldn't be leaving the house any time soon. On the plus side Marsh continues to look a fine prospect.

I still think you can avoid the MPG, two games at London and Fev whilst tough should be won but I think you need Leigh and Leeds to beat Hudds. Leigh need 2 of the last 3 and one is Batley, if they beat Hudds its you v Hudds last game probably home to Salford who whilst have on paper the weakest 3 teams can only now get to 8 points.

I will be listening to Bulls games on radio, might go for the semi and potential final. They are certainly throwing the ball around, no idea why you did not try to sign Chisholm again, if the Bulls had signed him and Moss even half way through the year it would have been fourth place at worst imo. Chisholm is playing a different game to everyone else and appears to be literally laughing whilst doing so. The bigger battle for the Bulls is of course off the pitch starting on Monday with the winding up order from HMRC.

Oh if the MPG were somehow KR v Hudds there are will be alot of worried parties watching from Bradford!! Gaskell, Ferguson, Clough/Clark, Addy not sitting comfortably.

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Mon 05 Sep 2016, 1:38 pm

To be fair for the first 20 mins we did look good. The fact the rest of the half was a struggle could be down to the weather. 2nd half Leigh upped there intensity and we couldn't reply. Our pack was bullied (Larroyer was shocking), and we couldn't reply. Our creativity was non existent, and like I said our urgency was dire.

not as sure about the next 2 games, especially as it looks like Sio, Greenwood (who have both been excellent this year), and Mulhern look like they're out for the rest of the season. And Kelly if whats being said is true.
which goes to what you said earlier about not getting loan players in, which at the time looked naive, know looks stupid.

Best will in the world, it looks like Rovers could be involved in 2 shootout games, Huddersfield in the last game, and then possibly the mpg.

Glad you're beginning to turn it on, and playing entertaining rugby. Do you know how much money you'd get if you won the sheild? Not sure what to make of Bradford, all the cost cutting measures sound good, but getting fans back and local businesses involved is a problem, and until your back in the top 4, many won't want to be involved. Rovers had this problem for years when we were in the lower leagues.

Have you read forty20 magazine, Rod Stud does an intresting article about Bradford? It's worth a read.

I will now go back to worrying about the rest of this week about Sunday's game, were we now don't have to just win, but win well as points difference could now come into play.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Mon 05 Sep 2016, 10:26 pm

Sympathies with Maurice Blair and family.

His loss I am sure will be felt, London are no mugs but hopefully you can pull it off, your back line is far superior imo. Yes, time to dig out your Leigh and Leeds fan club memberships for the next couple of weeks. Even if you are in the million pound game perhaps v Salford it is still very much winnable particularly if its at Craven Park.

Bulls awful (20 + handling errors) v Swinton (listened to radio, just watched highlights on Bulls TV) 22 - 0 up and then Swinton's shall we say very physical tactics (see their game v Leigh) worked and they lost the plot, down to 11 men for part of the second half, attendance was in the circumstances a reasonable 4k. Sheffield I think pose a genuine thread to their aspirations of winning all shield games.

Haven't read Studd's article however I have heard he talks about the fans taking ownership and dropping down another division. To be honest whilst I have not read the detail it appears on a basic level to be a bit fanciful. The club are making essential cuts, the backroom staff is (or was) massive, winning the shield to answer your query would bring in a vital £50k.

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Thu 08 Sep 2016, 9:44 pm

Jamie Peacock.........wow.............thoughts Tiger? If Kelly does not play is there anyone else at halfback? Tough at London but I still think you will win.

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Sat 10 Sep 2016, 8:25 pm

IMO 3 good pieces of news for you Tiger, Sheens, Leigh beating Hudds and Campese in the squad for tomorrow's game at London. A win there and things start to look more promising. Campese now fit answers my question of half backs at KR!

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by George Hotel1895 Mon 12 Sep 2016, 9:05 pm

The Beast wrote:IMO 3 good pieces of news for you Tiger, Sheens, Leigh beating Hudds and Campese in the squad for tomorrow's game at London.  A win there and things start to look more promising.  Campese now fit answers my question of half backs at KR!
Just supposing that HKR were to get relegated where to you think that would leave Tim Sheens?

George Hotel1895

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Tue 13 Sep 2016, 7:16 pm

A good question you would imagine there would be a plan for either scenario perhaps including directions to Bradford, Batley, Fev etc!!.

Who do you think will go down? Tough call but I will predict Salford.

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by George Hotel1895 Wed 14 Sep 2016, 10:31 pm

The Beast wrote:A good question you would imagine there would be a plan for either scenario perhaps including directions to Bradford, Batley, Fev etc!!.  

Who do you think will go down?  Tough call but I will predict Salford.
That's a difficult one and i can't really answer it at the moment.
I think its a given that even if Rovers and the Giants were to go down their owners would stick with them.
If Salford go down there are rumour's saying that Marwen Koukash is quitting. I hope he doesn't, because despite his rantings at times i think not only can be a asset to Salford but Rugby League as well. I like the the the man he's colourful and doesn't sit on the fence

George Hotel1895

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Thu 15 Sep 2016, 2:17 am

You're right Beast, Leigh's win was a massive result for us, now need Leeds's to win against Huddersfield on Sunday, as if expected we beat Featherstone and do it well, with our points difference being 4 better than Huddersfield it could make things slightly more relaxing in our game with Huddersfield. And I'm off to both.

Campese coming back is massive as he controls us around the park. Question is do we risk him v Fev given his injury record this season, and the game the week after.
As for Sheens, I think it's a great appointment, and given he been here a year and a half now's not only SL, but the players over here. And given who we were linked with, could have asked for better. Though I'm fairly sure it only happens if we stay up.

As for who I think goes down, I think it will be Huddersfield, poor all season, and if they lose to leeds's & ourselves, will have lost to all 4 good sides they faced in the 8's, and 3 in a row. Not what you want going into a must win game.

Big weekend in league 1, as Toulouse play Rochdale in the promotion final (loser goes into the play offs of course). And Newcastle are at home to North Wales in the Shield final.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by George Hotel1895 Thu 15 Sep 2016, 7:59 pm

tigerrobins wrote:You're right Beast, Leigh's win was a massive result for us, now need Leeds's to win against Huddersfield on Sunday, as if expected we beat Featherstone and do it well, with our points difference being 4 better than Huddersfield it could make things slightly more relaxing in our game with Huddersfield. And I'm off to both.

Campese coming back is massive as he controls us around the park. Question is do we risk him v Fev given his injury record this season, and the game the week after.
As for Sheens, I think it's a great appointment, and given he been here a year and a half now's not only SL, but the players over here. And given who we were linked with, could have asked for better. Though I'm fairly sure it only happens if we stay up.

As for who I think goes down, I think it will be Huddersfield, poor all season, and if they lose to leeds's & ourselves, will have lost to all 4 good sides they faced in the 8's, and 3 in a row. Not what you want going into a must win game.

Big weekend in league 1, as Toulouse play Rochdale in the promotion final (loser goes into the play offs of course). And Newcastle are at home to North Wales in the Shield final.
Sheens is a great signing for your club, but i hope he doesn't keep moaning about match official's etc like he did in his tenure in charge of the Australian national team.

George Hotel1895

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Fri 16 Sep 2016, 2:12 am

I was wrong about Sheens. He's joining weather we stay up or go down.

unfortunately George, most coaches now complain about refs. Funnly enough especially when they lose.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by George Hotel1895 Fri 16 Sep 2016, 7:46 am

tigerrobins wrote:I was wrong about Sheens. He's joining weather we stay up or go down.

unfortunately George, most coaches now complain about refs. Funnly enough especially when they lose.
Most coaches do appear to complain a lot more nowadays, but even Australian's found his constant whinging embarrassing.
Like most Australians he will moan about 2 games in 4 days over the Easter period.

George Hotel1895

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Sat 17 Sep 2016, 10:10 am

Bradford's performance at Workington can't be without mention......absolute total garbage. The junior players actually did pretty well, Ethan Ryan looks a great find (he can also defend!), Danny Addy wow, a truly shocking display starting with a particular highlight when whilst Bradford were 6 - 0 up ran pretty well unopposed to the try line only to carry on Forrest Gump style over the back of the in goal area where he was tackled out of play. Why he didn't ground the ball for the try is really anyone's guess, perhaps his mind was elsewhere........London for the KR game? OK he's not a S/O but playing into the teeth of a gale, 30 metres from your own try line who kicks on the third tackle?? Rohan Smith made a comment recently regarding signing players who genuinely want to play for the club, a thinly veiled jab at some of the current squad I suspect.

Good luck to Workington, last home game of a horrible season, financial problems, as mentioned sad not to see a Cumbrian side in the top two divisions. On a side note how is Ryan Verlinden not playing at a higher level, he dominated the Bulls pack with and without the ball tremendous power.

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Sat 17 Sep 2016, 5:15 pm

That's a massive result for London. Really puts the cat among the pigeons.
That means that it's only going to be the Leeds/Leigh game with nothing on it in the final rds. And with Salford at Batley & London hosting Featherstone could be intresting.

Well done to everyone one involved with London. Especially after a terrible few years in turning it around. They might not get in the mpg, or if they do get stuffed in it, but they've had a great season.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Sat 17 Sep 2016, 10:36 pm

tigerrobins wrote:That's a massive result for London. Really puts the cat among the pigeons.
That means that it's only going to be the Leeds/Leigh game with nothing on it in the final rds. And with Salford at Batley & London hosting Featherstone could be intresting.

Well done to everyone one involved with London. Especially after a terrible few years in turning it around. They might not get in the mpg, or if they do get stuffed in it, but they've had a great season.

Well played London, they were average last year including a heavy defeat to Fev in the shield final shows what can be done.

Today's result does mean assuming you beat Fev worst case scenario is advantage in the MPG. Hope it goes well tomorrow.

I was picking Salford for the drop on the basis that they have the seemingly weaker 3 Championship clubs leading up to the mpg v a SL team not good preparation, how little do I know, however I imagine they must be warm favourite to be relegated. As GH mentioned if so there may be serious cause for concern if Dr. Koukash leaves.

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Sat 17 Sep 2016, 10:50 pm

Well played Rochdale, beating the seemingly invincible Toulouse away in France. See you in the Championship next year.

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by George Hotel1895 Sat 24 Sep 2016, 8:53 am

I wasn't a fan of the new format when it was first announced but I'm warming to it

George Hotel1895

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Sat 24 Sep 2016, 11:18 am

George Hotel1895 wrote:I wasn't a fan of the new format when it was first announced but I'm warming to it

Last year and this the Middle 8's have been the games to see imo, the Super 8's aside from the final 2 weeks have been a bit.......flat. It would appear from the outside at least that some players/teams have at least mentally starting their holidays, Wakey have been poor and to me Catalans a big disappointment, just seem to have run out of steam as the year has gone on.

Congratulations to Warrington on winning the League leaders shield, all eyes to Hull this afternoon for the Hudds game a straight shoot out to avoid the MPG game.

Semi-finals of the Championship shield Bulls v Dewsbury & Fax v Sheffield. Bulls hammered Sheffield 80 - 0 last week (possibly due to me picking the Eagles to win!). Feel for Sheffield who are attempting to raise £20k to finish the season all their players made available for other clubs, very very sad state of affairs with their investor withdrawing earlier this year.

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Sat 24 Sep 2016, 9:35 pm

Absolutely poor performance today. Attack to slow and no idea with the ball, defence okay apart from a couple of times. Campese and Marsh were dire as pivots. And worryingly alot of Rovers fans around me think we are going to lose.

As people will know, I've always been a fan of the format. More games have been closer than people think. The money going to championship clubs is great for them ( I was one of the 2000 plus at Featherstone last week), and its exciting with more to play for (even though we're init all the time).

Good luck tomorrow Beast, hope you win it for the fans, and see you next year.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Sun 25 Sep 2016, 9:18 am

tigerrobins wrote:Absolutely poor performance today. Attack to slow and no idea with the ball, defence okay apart from a couple of times. Campese and Marsh were dire as pivots. And worryingly alot of Rovers fans around me think we are going to lose.

As people will know, I've always been a fan of the format. More games have been closer than people think. The money going to championship clubs is great for them ( I was one of the 2000 plus at Featherstone last week), and its exciting with more to play for (even though we're init all the time).

Good luck tomorrow Beast, hope you win it for the fans, and see you next year.

I thought you were buried at half time problems stemming from your forwards lack of go forward down the middle channels and yes at times there appeared to be a lack of cohesion. I recall a moment in the first half when you were camped on their line got a rare quick ptb and with the ball screaming out to go to a three-quarter went to a prop sucking the pace out of the attack.

My concern for you is Jamie Peacock's reaction, what message he is sending regarding the drop goal? At the final whistle I would have wanted him to use all his experience gather everyone together and basically say "right that's done, lets plan for next Saturday the first part being go home, rest keep your chin up we'll have a great weeks' training and get the win next week"

Don't forget you are at home, perhaps the club can do a deal on tickets, get a big crowd, get the place rocking. Oh and don't worry should it happen there's good rugby in the Championship, the Bulls are there!!

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by George Hotel1895 Sun 25 Sep 2016, 6:34 pm

Well we know now who will be in the MPG and i wouldn't want to call it.
For me if the Red Devils turn up they will win, but will they turn up.

George Hotel1895

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Sun 25 Sep 2016, 9:07 pm

I listened to the Bulls game on radio today, Lance Du Lac until recently the performance analyst at Bradford was on, he mentioned how difficult and pressured the week leading up to the MPG was ending in Jimmy Lowes rant on Sky Sports. I am sure all at both clubs will be feeling it and that may well be a factor. I think KR might win, at home and whilst they lost on Saturday it is a tough place to get a result but in 80 minutes anything could happen and Salford have the players to do the job. Not sure if correct but there is talk of Tim Sheens not being involved to avoid conflict of interest??

Whoever goes down might find themselves going to Canada, there is a rumour that Sheffield might go down to League 1 and Toronto replace them. Whilst as such I am against parachuting a side in with the Canadian squad it might be sensible, there might be player welfare issues for what are amateurs v pros however if the RFL are involved I suspect any such decision will be based on finance. They allowed Toulouse to play York on Saturday who only had 12 players, a game that should have been postponed or York allowed to bring in loan players imho.

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by George Hotel1895 Mon 26 Sep 2016, 8:10 pm

The Beast wrote:I listened to the Bulls game on radio today, Lance Du Lac until recently the performance analyst at Bradford was on, he mentioned how difficult and pressured the week leading up to the MPG was ending in Jimmy Lowes rant on Sky Sports.  I am sure all at both clubs will be feeling it and that may well be a factor.  I think KR might win, at home and whilst they lost on Saturday it is a tough place to get a result but in 80 minutes anything could happen and Salford have the players to do the job.  Not sure if correct but there is talk of Tim Sheens not being involved to avoid conflict of interest??

Whoever goes down might find themselves going to Canada, there is a rumour that Sheffield might go down to League 1 and Toronto replace them.  Whilst as such I am against parachuting a side in with the Canadian squad it might be sensible, there might be player welfare issues for what are amateurs v pros however if the RFL are involved I suspect any such decision will be based on finance.  They allowed Toulouse to play York on Saturday who only had 12 players, a game that should have been postponed or York allowed to bring in loan players imho.
When we as fans see what is happening at York and Sheffield we realise that we still have a long way to go before where we want to beat with British Rugby League. I'm not saying get rid of anyone at Red Hall, but we do need fresh blood there with fresh ideas to help some clubs who at times appear rudderless ships.

George Hotel1895

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Fri 30 Sep 2016, 8:04 pm

I heard an interview with Nigel Wood, he sounded completely oblivious to the issues. Pleased for Leigh but they have apparently spent £3m over the past 2 years getting to the promised land, if it is the case that only clubs with wealthy owners can compete there are big issues.

On the positive side I managed to see Warrington beat Saints on TV last night, the scoreless final 20 minutes were the best I have seen for some time, credit to both sides. Just about to listen to Wigan v Hull that should also be a good game.

Bulls v Sheffield Shield Final, unfortunately I cannot go for which I am disappointed, wish I lived closer to be honest. Potentially a difficult game for the Bulls after putting 80 on the Eagles it would be easy to underestimate them however Sunday I think will see a different side turn up at Odsal.

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Fri 30 Sep 2016, 8:56 pm

Half time Wigan 14 - Hull 0, radio commentary makes it sound like FC simply have not and will recover physically or mentally from the Cup final.

Meanwhile Man of Steel 2016, Houghton (Hull), Ellis (Hull) or Solomona (Cas). I'll go for Houghton, across the season (and seemingly every season) so consistent.

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by George Hotel1895 Sat 01 Oct 2016, 8:05 am

The Beast wrote:I heard an interview with Nigel Wood, he sounded completely oblivious to the issues.  Pleased for Leigh but they have apparently spent £3m over the past 2 years getting to the promised land, if it is the case that only clubs with wealthy owners can compete there are big issues.

On the positive side I managed to see Warrington beat Saints on TV last night, the scoreless final 20 minutes were the best I have seen for some time, credit to both sides.  Just about to listen to Wigan v Hull that should also be a good game.

Bulls v Sheffield Shield Final, unfortunately I cannot go for which I am disappointed, wish I lived closer to be honest.  Potentially a difficult game for the Bulls after putting 80 on the Eagles it would be easy to underestimate them however Sunday I think will see a different side turn up at Odsal.
I'm surprised that Leigh haven't gone over the salary cap Wink

George Hotel1895

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Mon 24 Oct 2016, 8:48 am

2017 fixtures are out and surprise surprise 1st game in the Championship Hull KR v Bradford, randomly generated????

I do think it is unfair that the Bulls get KR in the Summer Bash who are likely to finish top, surely it should be London, I assume the RFL do read the league tables, Bradford were 5th in 2016.

I am toying with the idea of a Bulls season ticket. If they fail to gain promotion in 2017 ticket renewals will be 20% lower in 2018, if they are promoted renewals are free for the first season back in SL (backed by their sponsors Friends Provident), great offer. Only downside is tickets have to be collected from the club and cannot be posted, 4 1/2 drive for me to collect. If I was closer it would be a no-brainer.

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Tue 25 Oct 2016, 2:35 am

The Beast wrote:2017 fixtures are out and surprise surprise 1st game in the Championship Hull KR v Bradford, randomly generated????

I do think it is unfair that the Bulls get KR in the Summer Bash who are likely to finish top, surely it should be London, I assume the RFL do read the league tables, Bradford were 5th in 2016.

I am toying with the idea of a Bulls season ticket.  If they fail to gain promotion in 2017 ticket renewals will be 20% lower in 2018, if they are promoted renewals are free for the first season back in SL (backed by their sponsors Friends Provident), great offer.  Only downside is tickets have to be collected from the club and cannot be posted, 4 1/2 drive for me to collect.  If I was closer it would be a no-brainer.

To be honest I wasn't suprised with who we got first 2 games (you home,London away), either. Would have been nice if someone like Swinton could have benefited from our first away game.
Was also slightly disappointed by how few SL games will be on a sun. And in a way am glad we went down for this reason alone.

Was also disappointed with the bash games. Not sure how they're done, but you would think us v say Toulouse, you v say Featherstone would be better for getting the crowds in for more games.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next