The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

General RL Discussion!

+5
Steel
TopoftheChops
RuggerFan
Luke
Pal Joey
9 posters

Page 10 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down

General RL Discussion! - Page 10 Empty General RL Discussion!

Post by Luke Mon 24 Mar 2014, 12:21 pm

First topic message reminder :

A thread we're we can discuss our sides, what's happening in RL, the future and everything else to do with Rugby League.

I really hope that Cas can keep up there early form and stay in the top 8.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

General RL Discussion! - Page 10 Empty Re: General RL Discussion!

Post by George Hotel1895 Wed 05 May 2021, 7:56 pm

Luke wrote:
George Hotel1895 wrote:
Luke wrote:Toulouse could have a problem,  with having to play the required number of games. But if they do they are the stand out team in my opinion.
It's not Toulouse fault that some clubs refuse to go there.
In my opinion Toulouse should be awarded the win by 24-0

Only London have refused, part time clubs don't have to go yet as quarantine would mean a number if players can't go.
That sends out mixed messages to me from the RFL. This could well turn out to be nightmare for the RFL at the end of the season

George Hotel1895

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Sun 09 May 2021, 4:58 pm

Championship continues to produce close competitive games, Batley flying at the moment.

League One kicked off today, good wins for Workington at Hunslet and Keighley over Doncaster.

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Mon 10 May 2021, 9:22 pm

Having seen most of the tries of the championship. God Widnes's defence was absolutely atrocious, quite a few of the Toulouse tries were far to easy.
Good to see that Kieran Dixon's defence hasn't improved.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Tue 11 May 2021, 6:13 pm

I saw the Dixon.......errrr.....efforts The first one was bizarre. Still doubtless he will burn Bradford with the ball (again) when the York games come round.

I see Toulouse now have Tony Gigot on board, in fairness a very dangerous side when they click and passes go to hand.

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by George Hotel1895 Fri 14 May 2021, 9:47 am

The Beast wrote:I saw the Dixon.......errrr.....efforts  The first one was bizarre.  Still doubtless he will burn Bradford with the ball (again) when the York games come round.

I see Toulouse now have Tony Gigot on board, in fairness a very dangerous side when they click and passes go to hand.
In my opinion i think Toulouse are the best side in the championship and will win the league

George Hotel1895

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Sun 06 Jun 2021, 3:48 pm

This year's challenge cup final will between St Helens and Castleford.  After they won there semi finals quite comfortably after surviving a bit of a scare comebacks. But they were both really in control.

And congratulations to the BBC for showing the women's challenge cup final (St Helens winning), a decent game that will know hopefully push the sport forward and attract a few more spectators and players to the game.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Sun 13 Jun 2021, 9:38 am

Around half way through the season and the RFL will scrap the new ball steal rule from next year. Please just please stop phaffing around with the rules all is needed IMO is to clean up the rucks.

The Beast

George Hotel1895 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Tue 15 Jun 2021, 7:21 pm

The Beast wrote:Around half way through the season and the RFL will scrap the new ball steal rule from next year.  Please just please stop phaffing around with the rules all is needed IMO is to clean up the rucks.

They've need to clean up the rucks for years, and are no closer to doing it. The rest I agree, stop changing the rules just for change sake.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by George Hotel1895 Wed 16 Jun 2021, 1:29 pm

Luke wrote:
The Beast wrote:Around half way through the season and the RFL will scrap the new ball steal rule from next year.  Please just please stop phaffing around with the rules all is needed IMO is to clean up the rucks.

They've need to clean up the rucks for years, and are no closer to doing it. The rest I agree, stop changing the rules just for change sake.
I haven't been happy with the constant rule changes for some and i don't suppose I'm alone.
Make a rule and stick with it

George Hotel1895

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Sun 20 Jun 2021, 9:40 am

George Williams confirmed as heading back to the UK soon. Interesting and classy decision by Wigan to allow him to sign for another club, could have had another Iestyn Harris situation that frankly I would not wish on anyone.

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by George Hotel1895 Sun 20 Jun 2021, 2:17 pm

The Beast wrote:George Williams confirmed as heading back to the UK soon.  Interesting and classy decision by Wigan to allow him to sign for another club, could have had another Iestyn Harris situation that frankly I would not wish on anyone.
Indeed, but i wonder as well if Wigan have a big player signing coming in for next season so didn't want to use up a a faie bit of the salary cap on Williams? Just saying

George Hotel1895

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Tue 22 Jun 2021, 8:29 pm

I find it weird. 
That England v all stars on Friday, a sort if international.  And the club's are playing a full round (covid apart), including 3 on the night. Seems counter productive to me.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Tue 22 Jun 2021, 8:30 pm

England squad for Friday's game v All Stars

John Bateman (Wigan Warriors); Daryl Clark, Mike Cooper, Ben Currie (all Warrington Wolves); Tom Davies (Catalans Dragons); Liam Farrell (Wigan Warriors); Luke Gale, Ash Handley (both Leeds Rhinos); Morgan Knowles (St Helens); Reece Lyne (Wakefield Trinity); Jonny Lomax (St Helens); Paul McShane (Castleford Tigers); Tommy Makinson (St Helens); Mikolaj Oledzki (Leeds Rhinos); Joe Philbin, Stefan Ratchford (both Warrington Wolves); Sam Tomkins (Catalans Dragons); Alex Walmsley (St Helens); Joe Westerman (Wakefield Trinity).

I am going with

Tomkins
Handley
Bateman
Lynne
Makinson
Gale
Lomax
Walmsley
McShane
Cooper
Currie
Farrell
Westerman

Oledski
Clark
Ratchford
Philbin

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Tue 22 Jun 2021, 8:33 pm

Going back to that issue. I am not sure of the truth however it has been reported that the clubs knew of the international date and made the decision to play games that day/weekend.

Some suggestions that clubs have been trying to to avoid releasing players for the game.

I am in the club that the national team is very important and a good world cup could boost the club game. If the above is correct it seems a bit short sighted, granted All Stars is not ideal but what else can they do?

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Tue 22 Jun 2021, 8:35 pm

All Stars Squad;

Jake Connor (Hull FC), Kenny Edwards (Huddersfield Giants), Jackson Hastings (Wigan Warriors), Liam Kay (Wakefield Trinity), Kruise Leeming (Leeds Rhinos), Ricky Leutele (Huddersfield Giants), Peter Mata'utia (Castleford Tigers), Suaia Matagi (Castleford Tigers), Jermaine McGillvary (Huddersfield Giants), Junior Moors (Featherstone Rovers), Pauli Pauli (Salford Red Devils), Nathan Peats (Leigh Centurions), Matt Prior (Leeds Rhinos), Chris Satae (Hull FC), Andre Savelio (Hull FC), Aidan Sezer (Huddersfield Giants), Ken Sio (Salford Red Devils), Kelepi Tanginoa (Wakefield Trinity), Luke Yates (Huddersfield Giants)

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Tue 22 Jun 2021, 9:09 pm

Struggling to understand why there are SL games on Friday on the same day as the England game??

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Wed 23 Jun 2021, 1:21 am

The Beast wrote:England squad for Friday's game v All Stars

John Bateman (Wigan Warriors); Daryl Clark, Mike Cooper, Ben Currie (all Warrington Wolves); Tom Davies (Catalans Dragons); Liam Farrell (Wigan Warriors); Luke Gale, Ash Handley (both Leeds Rhinos); Morgan Knowles (St Helens); Reece Lyne (Wakefield Trinity); Jonny Lomax (St Helens); Paul McShane (Castleford Tigers); Tommy Makinson (St Helens); Mikolaj Oledzki (Leeds Rhinos); Joe Philbin, Stefan Ratchford (both Warrington Wolves); Sam Tomkins (Catalans Dragons); Alex Walmsley (St Helens); Joe Westerman (Wakefield Trinity).

I am going with

Tomkins
Handley
Bateman
Lynne
Makinson
Gale
Lomax
Walmsley
McShane
Cooper
Currie
Farrell
Westerman

Oledski
Clark
Ratchford
Philbin

I'd go for this game,

Tompkins, 
Makinson,
Lyne,
Currie,
Davis,
Ratchford,
Gale,
Walmsley,
McShane,
Oledski,
Bateman, 
Farrell, 
Westerman.

Clark,
Philban,
Cooper,
Knowles.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Wed 23 Jun 2021, 1:25 am

The Beast wrote:All Stars Squad;

Jake Connor (Hull FC), Kenny Edwards (Huddersfield Giants), Jackson Hastings (Wigan Warriors), Liam Kay (Wakefield Trinity), Kruise Leeming (Leeds Rhinos), Ricky Leutele (Huddersfield Giants), Peter Mata'utia (Castleford Tigers), Suaia Matagi (Castleford Tigers), Jermaine McGillvary (Huddersfield Giants), Junior Moors (Featherstone Rovers), Pauli Pauli (Salford Red Devils), Nathan Peats (Leigh Centurions), Matt Prior (Leeds Rhinos), Chris Satae (Hull FC), Andre Savelio (Hull FC), Aidan Sezer (Huddersfield Giants), Ken Sio (Salford Red Devils), Kelepi Tanginoa (Wakefield Trinity), Luke Yates (Huddersfield Giants)

Not sure I'd class them as All Stars, but would go.

Connor,
Kay,
Mata'uia, 
Leutele,
Sio,
Hastings,
Sezer,
Satae,
Leeming,
Tanginoa,
Edwards,
Savelio,
Moors.

Pauli,
Prior,
Yates,
Matagi.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Wed 23 Jun 2021, 1:28 am

The Beast wrote:Struggling to understand why there are SL games on Friday on the same day as the England game??

Like I said, don't get it either.  
If you are putting fixtures on the same weekend, play them on the Sunday so this is a stand alone game, with at least a day to reflect before continuing the sl season.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Fri 25 Jun 2021, 2:25 pm

Got to feel for Huddersfield. 
Due to the ridiculousness of playing league games on the same time as an international, were only able to name 13 players in there original squad.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Sun 27 Jun 2021, 8:39 am

A farcical week ends with a narrow defeat for England. Hopefully a useful run out and I think Shaun Wane will have gained important information i.e. Jake Connor is not an international full back.

Credit to Jermaine McGillvary saying it as it is; English Rugby in decline

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Mon 28 Jun 2021, 4:56 pm

Great to see the Barrow v Workington game getting over 3,000. And seems like they got there money's worth.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by George Hotel1895 Sat 03 Jul 2021, 7:02 pm

The Beast wrote:Struggling to understand why there are SL games on Friday on the same day as the England game??
You are not alone in thinking that

George Hotel1895

Back to top Go down

Post by George Hotel1895 Sat 03 Jul 2021, 7:03 pm

The Beast wrote:A farcical week ends with a narrow defeat for England. Hopefully a useful run out and I think Shaun Wane will have gained important information i.e. Jake Connor is not an international full back.

Credit to Jermaine McGillvary saying it as it is;  English Rugby in decline

Well said on all counts

George Hotel1895

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Sun 01 Aug 2021, 8:17 am

IMHO Game of the Season today, Featherstone v Toulouse.

Outside of a Bulls game or perhaps what should be an excellent Hull derby (one day hopefully), I don't recall a more anticipated recent fixture.

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Mon 02 Aug 2021, 12:35 pm

The Beast wrote:IMHO Game of the Season today, Featherstone v Toulouse.

Outside of a Bulls game or perhaps what should be an excellent Hull derby (one day hopefully), I don't recall a more anticipated recent fixture.

Agree, and got to say an excellent win for Toulouse. Who should go up this season.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Sun 08 Aug 2021, 7:01 pm

Luke wrote:

Agree, and got to say an excellent win for Toulouse. Who should go up this season.

It is easy to see how many points they score but on average they concede 9 per game which is very very impressive.

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Mon 09 Aug 2021, 2:54 pm

The Beast wrote:
Luke wrote:

It is easy to see how many points they score but on average they concede 9 per game which is very very impressive.

Defence wins games and allows them to play the type of rugby they can do. And from the sounds of it they don't just play the expansive game,  but can dig in and ground it out like they did at Featherstone. 
And given they now play at the rugby union stadium which is a good stadium, they're set up for sl, and staying in it which us just as important.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by George Hotel1895 Mon 09 Aug 2021, 7:14 pm

Toulouse are nailed on to reach the the Championship grand final.

George Hotel1895

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Sun 22 Aug 2021, 2:53 pm

Having watched a re-run of Wigan v Saints somewhat surprised that Willie Isa wasn't sent off. I would not be surprised if he has a long bad after these clips.

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Tue 24 Aug 2021, 2:38 am

Congratulations to Leigh on getting there first win of the season. 

Also commiseration to Swindon who are relegated, after massively over achieving last year.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Sun 29 Aug 2021, 4:53 pm

I do feel for Swinton, they are from what I have seen much better than their results suggest. They have played some entertaining rugby, the obvious issue being defence.

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Sun 29 Aug 2021, 7:07 pm

Not greatly surprised that Whitehaven beat Widnes but 64 - 6 was a shock partly until I read that the latter only had 16 fit players.

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Sun 05 Sep 2021, 3:09 am

Congratulations to Catalans,  who after there golden point win today guarantee that they will win the league leaders shield.
Thoroughly deserved as they have been the best and most consistent performers this season.

On a side note, both the Saints/Catalans and Leeds/Hull games where exhilarating stuff for different reasons, really entertaining games.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Sun 05 Sep 2021, 2:52 pm

So for my first Sunday off since before crowds allowed back (and probably only Sunday during the season).
And I'm at keighley/North Wales game, looking forward to it.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Sun 05 Sep 2021, 6:15 pm

Luke wrote:Congratulations to Catalans,  who after there golden point win today guarantee that they will win the league leaders shield.
Thoroughly deserved as they have been the best and most consistent performers this season.

On a side note, both the Saints/Catalans and Leeds/Hull games where exhilarating stuff for different reasons, really entertaining games.

Frankly an astonishing finish to the Saints/Dragons game, it might be some time before anything like that happens again. Admittedly I have not seen any of the Leeds v Hull game.

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Sun 05 Sep 2021, 7:01 pm

The Beast wrote:
Luke wrote:Congratulations to Catalans,  who after there golden point win today guarantee that they will win the league leaders shield.

Frankly an astonishing finish to the Saints/Dragons game, it might be some time before anything like that happens again.  Admittedly I have not seen any of the Leeds v Hull game.

The ending masks what should have been a straight forward win for Saints. They pretty much dominated it after the first 10 minutes. And how they have it away is beyond me.
But in all honesty I found the hull/Leeds game more entertaining as it was 2 average sides, trying to beat each other in what was a fascinating game. Think Hull need to move on from Snyed, as other than his kicking game not sure what he offers them. 

The game I was at today was interesting,  2 sides running hard and giving there all. Once Keighley realised that spreading it was going to get them results they ran out deserved winners.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Sat 11 Sep 2021, 7:16 pm

I guess technically news however London have confirmed that they will be part time from next season. A blow but with this and other Championship/League One clubs facing at least a 50% cut in central funding inevitable. Frankly I have been waiting for this ever since SL moved away from the RFL and I would not be surprised if some clubs do not survive.

On the plus side for London, part time is not on the pitch necessarily a bad move. Bradford using a hybrid of full/part time for example look to be in the running for their highest league finish for.......5 years? In the championship other clubs have found having more full time players have not always translated into better results e.g. York who I thought would be top 4 this year.

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Sun 12 Sep 2021, 8:56 pm

Strong rumours suggesting Championship rugby will be shown on TV next season, live and or highlights and which broadcaster as yet TBC.

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Mon 13 Sep 2021, 6:03 pm

Congratulations to Barrow on winning the league 1 title, and winning promotion to the Championship. Been a great season for them.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Sat 02 Oct 2021, 8:30 am

Should be some very interesting lower league action with weekend. Championship Semi's Fev v Fax & Toulouse v Batley. To be honest I don't see any shocks but maybe Fax could give Fev a few problems?

League One playoff Keighley/Doncaster should be a cracker.

Championship sides appear to be upping their signings for next year e.g. Fax apparently looking at Lachlan Walmsley, Matty Gee, Titus Gwaze and Joe Keyes. York have signed Jamie Ellis, Bradford mentioned on their thread. I wonder if clubs are "gambling" to ensure a table finish to secure a spot in the 10/10 alleged/proposed new format? Not so much of a gamble but a necessity.

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Sat 22 Jan 2022, 12:29 pm

Sounds like potential problems at Toulouse. Some stories of players leaving the club due to vaccination rules. Really hope that this can be resolved, looking forward to see how a full strength side get on.

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Fri 28 Jan 2022, 3:47 pm

Toulouse now announce that Jonathan Ford is to leave. If Mark Kheirallah also leaves as has been suggested that will leave two key positions uncovered two weeks before the start of the season. I would not be surprised if Ryan Hampshire ends up with them.

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by George Hotel1895 Sat 12 Feb 2022, 8:07 am

The Beast wrote:Toulouse now announce that Jonathan Ford is to leave.  If Mark Kheirallah also leaves as has been suggested that will leave two key positions uncovered two weeks before the start of the season.  I would not be surprised if Ryan Hampshire ends up with them.
Neither would i. Hopefully he can show the ability he has, and he has tons, and not come up short

George Hotel1895

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Sat 12 Feb 2022, 9:20 pm

Seems like Jamie Shaul is there first choice.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by George Hotel1895 Wed 16 Feb 2022, 2:13 am

Luke wrote:Seems like Jamie Shaul is there first choice.
I've always rated him, but others only see the negative side in him.

George Hotel1895

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Sun 28 Aug 2022, 10:35 am

Have you guys received an e-mail with the IMG survey? Includes some interesting questions regarding a 10+10 structure, French clubs and IMO worrying references to the Hundred cricket format.

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Sun 28 Aug 2022, 10:10 pm

The Beast wrote:Have you guys received an e-mail with the IMG survey?  Includes some interesting questions regarding a 10+10 structure, French clubs and IMO worrying references to the Hundred cricket format.

No haven't got one. I don't know what the 100 cricket format is, but a 7/9's tournament at the beginning of the season wouldn't bother me to much.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Wed 07 Sep 2022, 7:40 pm

Hull FC have released four players, Jordan Johnstone, Marcus Walker, Aidan Burrell & Luke Gale.

It's Luke Gale that I am interested in your views on. IMO an excellent player, I always thought so when he was at Bradford despite their struggles. Outstanding at Cas including the Steve Prescott Man of Steel award, England international. What was seemingly gone wrong? Relived of the Leeds captaincy, off to Hull and now released after 1 season, thoughts?

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Thu 08 Sep 2022, 6:43 am

The Beast wrote:Hull FC have released four players, Jordan Johnstone, Marcus Walker, Aidan Burrell & Luke Gale.

It's Luke Gale that I am interested in your views on.  IMO an excellent player, I always thought so when he was at Bradford despite their struggles.  Outstanding at Cas including the Steve Prescott Man of Steel award, England international.  What was seemingly gone wrong?  Relived of the Leeds captaincy, off to Hull and now released after 1 season, thoughts?

There's undoubtedly a player there. But he's been poor for a few years now. Think he suits a off the cuff type club (like Rovers under Smith), where it's a more regimented style he's poor/lost. Or where he's not the main focal point. Heard he's off to Wakefield.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next