The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welsh Squad for Six Nations

+19
wales606
BamBam
munkian
chris_501
cooler king
irnbrew
glamorganalun
bedfordwelsh
samuraidragon
Casartelli
RuggerRadge2611
Luckless Pedestrian
ScarletSpiderman
BigTrevsbigmac
flyhalffactory
Scratch
maestegmafia
Norfolklass
Jhamer25
23 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Welsh Squad for Six Nations - Page 2 Empty Welsh Squad for Six Nations

Post by Jhamer25 Mon 02 Dec 2013, 10:29 pm

First topic message reminder :

Well we have to look forwards and upwards now. I see there is already an English thread for this matter, just thought it's time to start our own; after all its not too far away and will come around very quick.
Here is a great article:
http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/autumn-analysis-seven-key-areas-6359245
Apart form the front row bit they couldn't be more right

Taking into account that everyone is fit and available and looking forward I would go for the following:
(except for the player we already know are un-available: Bradley Davies, Johnathan Davies, Craig Mitchell, Jack Dixon, Cory Allen any others)
Obviously my chosen team will change as time goes on as people might come into form and out of of form but this is the team on current form. A squad of 36 (i'm going for a 16/15 split)

Props
Gethin Jenkins
Paul James
Rhys Gill
Adam Jones
Samson Lee

Hookers
Hibbard
Ken Owens

Locks
Luke Charteris
Alyn Wyn Jones
Ian Evans
Jake Ball

Flankers
Dan Lydiate
Justin Tipuric
Sam Warburton
Ryan Jones

Number 8
Toby Falateu

Scrum Half
Richie Rees
Rhodri Williams
Gareth Davies

Outside Half
Biggar
Priestland
Hook

Centers
Jamie Roberts
Scott Williams
Owen Williams
Ashley Beck

Wings
Liam Williams
Alex Cuthbert
Leigh Halfpenny
George North
Eli Walker

I really considered:
Lee Byrne instead of Eli Walker

Team to face Italy
1. Gethin Jenkins
2. Richard Hibbard
3. Adam Jones
4. Alyn Wyn Jones (C.)
5. Luke Charteris
6. Dan Lydiate
7. Justin Tipuric
8. Toby Falateu

9. Rhodri Williams
10. Dan Biggar
11. George North
12. Jamie Roberts
13. Scott Williams (If John Davies is fit = 12. Scott Williams, 13. Johnathan Davies)
14. Alex Cuthbert
15. Leigh Halfpenny

Ask questions by all means, this isn't the final team should be but a ruff idea of how i would like it to look at current events.
Gatland really needs to consider what is right now and stop being stubborn about his personal feelings with the players.

I am really interested to know other people's views, do you think I have made to many changes.

What would your team be?

Last edited by Jhamer25 on Tue 03 Dec 2013, 9:10 pm; edited 2 times in total

Jhamer25

Back to top Go down

Welsh Squad for Six Nations - Page 2 Empty Re: Welsh Squad for Six Nations

Post by Jhamer25 Wed 04 Dec 2013, 1:25 pm

I just think bigger is the way forward now he seems more consistent, more determined and has the right mind set to go further (a bit like Alyn Wyn Jones did really) than any other 10. He just needs more experience against he big guns. He is my choice 10 throughout the whole of the Six Nations.
Hook is clearly never going to gt a real shot unless both Boggar and Rhys are injured.
Prietland blows hot and cold and makes really stupid era's at crucial times. I just feel Biggar is more reliable.

Jhamer25

Back to top Go down

Post by chris_501 Wed 04 Dec 2013, 2:27 pm

Jhamer25 wrote:I just think bigger is the way forward now he seems more consistent, more determined and has the right mind set to go further (a bit like Alyn Wyn Jones did really) than any other 10. He just needs more experience against he big guns. He is my choice 10 throughout the whole of the Six Nations.
Hook is clearly never going to gt a real shot unless both Boggar and Rhys are injured.
Prietland blows hot and cold and makes really stupid era's at crucial times. I just feel Biggar is more reliable.
Biggar is a guy who is a born winner. He may have aspects of his game that don't come near the levels of Quade Cooper, but he seems to always be able to keep a clear head and rise above pressure. In this aspect he reminds me a lot of Stephen Jones. Priestland seems to be improving due to his age, but Biggar is only 23/24 isn't he? He is more than worth investing in, with some work he could be Wales' equivalent of Jonny Wilkinson.

chris_501

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 04 Dec 2013, 2:34 pm

Wales unfortunately don't have a player who is currently on the same level as Quade Cooper, Aaron Cruden or Dan Carter in terms of attacking skill. We have to make do with what we have, and I feel that Biggar is developing his game well.

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Wed 04 Dec 2013, 7:05 pm

Hook has been capped over 70 times and has never managed to convince coaches he is 1st choice, they cant all be wrong maybe he's not just as good as people think he is.

Priestland was in great form pre the WC and played it really flat which suited our game plan and brought Roberts onto the ball at pace, since then his form and confidence has dipped, he was getting some form back.

Biggar is Mr Reliable and whilst not as good very much in the Jones and Jenkins role, not flashy just reliable and solid.

Other options are all unproven:

Patchell, Tovey, M Morgan (is he to small), what about Sam Davies could he be the next best thing?

Problem being will Morgan or Davies get any game time.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 04 Dec 2013, 8:52 pm

bedfordwelsh wrote:Hook has been capped over 70 times and has never managed to convince coaches he is 1st choice, they cant all be wrong maybe he's not just as good as people think he is.

Priestland was in great form pre the WC and played it really flat which suited our game plan and brought Roberts onto the ball at pace, since then his form and confidence has dipped, he was getting some form back.

Biggar is Mr Reliable and whilst not as good very much in the Jones and Jenkins role, not flashy just reliable and solid.

Other options are all unproven:

Patchell, Tovey, M Morgan (is he to small), what about Sam Davies could he be the next best thing?

Problem being will Morgan or Davies get any game time.
Don't forget Stefan Jones and Owen Williams...?

There are a good number of lads playing well, not brilliantly. Though Owen Williams has been in great form for Tigers.

The coaches seriously rate Patchell, whether they will give him the reigns before 2015 is to be seen. Whoever plays best out of Biggar, Priestlabd or Hook will likely get the hot seat for the six nations.

It's good to have a number of players pushing for the spot at the moment. But I would like to see us start to settle on our man this six nations.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Wed 04 Dec 2013, 8:54 pm

Stefan Jones again like Morgan and Davies won't get to much game time behind Tovey and Burton.

Its a shame Patchell took a knock would have been good to see him this AI Series
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 04 Dec 2013, 8:58 pm

bedfordwelsh wrote:Stefan Jones again like Morgan and Davies won't get to much game time behind Tovey and Burton.

Its a shame Patchell took a knock would have been good to see him this AI Series
Burton was a silly signing for the dragons, he really isn't needed.

Tovey is looking great and seems to get on really well with the coaches. Steffans time will come if he keeps playing well. No one will ignore talent if it is showing through.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Wed 04 Dec 2013, 9:01 pm

No one will maes but there in lies the problem, we have seen today rumours that Matthew Morgan is being chased by the English clubs as has Jones already been.

I haven't got a problem with more established players chasing a bit of money but if players like these two go then things are seriously wrong and like we seen its a mine field with contracts and releases etc.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 04 Dec 2013, 9:12 pm

bedfordwelsh wrote:No one will maes but there in lies the problem, we have seen today rumours that Matthew Morgan is being chased by the English clubs as has Jones already been.

I haven't got a problem with more established players chasing a bit of money but if players like these two go then things are seriously wrong and like we seen its a mine field with contracts and releases etc.
What do you mean by seriously wrong?

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Wed 04 Dec 2013, 9:19 pm

Maybe wrong choice of words but if we cant give our youngsters enough game time and they feel they have to chase the money at that stage of their careers without fully establishing themselves then maybe we should introduce a play in Wales to play for Wales policy.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 04 Dec 2013, 9:25 pm

bedfordwelsh wrote:Maybe wrong choice of words but if we cant give our youngsters enough game time and they feel they have to chase the money at that stage of their careers without fully establishing themselves then maybe we should introduce a play in Wales to play for Wales policy.
I think that unfortunately, and though it breaks the IRB laws, that the WRU are worried that they would lose international to cash in foreign clubs, thus losing everything.

And I can't see how keeping players in Wales will give younger less experienced potential more opportunity to succeed?

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 05 Dec 2013, 4:39 am

maestegmafia wrote:
bedfordwelsh wrote:Stefan Jones again like Morgan and Davies won't get to much game time behind Tovey and Burton.

Burton was a silly signing for the dragons, he really isn't needed.

Tovey is looking great and seems to get on really well with the coaches. Steffans time will come if he keeps playing well. No one will ignore talent if it is showing through.
Burton was signed before Tovey and was a necessary signing at the time. He's a pretty solid player at this level and we needed a player who could kick more goals than he misses.

Beds, it's fair to say Steff is probably back up ten now. I assume the only reason Burton is back in this weekend is they probably didn't name Steff in the European squad?

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 05 Dec 2013, 8:47 am

Cheers for the explanation Risca. Is Burton signed for one season or two?

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Thu 05 Dec 2013, 9:12 am

maestegmafia wrote:
bedfordwelsh wrote:Maybe wrong choice of words but if we cant give our youngsters enough game time and they feel they have to chase the money at that stage of their careers without fully establishing themselves then maybe we should introduce a play in Wales to play for Wales policy.
I think that unfortunately, and though it breaks the IRB laws, that the WRU are worried that they would lose international to cash in foreign clubs, thus losing everything.

And I can't see how keeping players in Wales will give younger less experienced potential more opportunity to succeed?

There is no IRB law against having a policy of home selection, that is what the All Blacks and Aussies do, and up until recently the South Africans too (an pretty much what the EPS is all about in England too).

The major issue is whether the WRU would have the grapefruits to actually carry it out. If they were to say that from the start of next season any player to leave the regions will no longer be considered for international duty, then they would need to stick to it, and if Faletau (for instance) goes then he gets frozen out. Sadly the union are too concerned with the short term filling of the MS for that to work.

Also losing the likes of Morgan, Owen Williams and other kids over the boarder is a real issue, especially if these kids have not played against the relevant teams in the u20s, or worse actually qualify as English. Then they won't count against the NEQ limits in the Jeff, and could even be poached when they are at a good enough level. If this starts to happen then we may as well kiss goodbye to rugby in Wales, domestically and internationally, and accept that we are going down the route of football.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 05 Dec 2013, 9:59 am

ScarletSpiderman wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:

There is no IRB law against having a policy of home selection, that is what the All Blacks and Aussies do, and up until recently the South Africans too (an pretty much what the EPS is all about in England too).

The major issue is whether the WRU would have the grapefruits to actually carry it out.  If they were to say that from the start of next season any player to leave the regions will no longer be considered for international duty, then they would need to stick to it, and if Faletau (for instance) goes then he gets frozen out.  Sadly the union are too concerned with the short term filling of the MS for that to work.

Also losing the likes of Morgan, Owen Williams and other kids over the boarder is a real issue, especially if these kids have not played against the relevant teams in the u20s, or worse actually qualify as English.  Then they won't count against the NEQ limits in the Jeff, and could even be poached when they are at a good enough level.  If this starts to happen then we may as well kiss goodbye to rugby in Wales, domestically and internationally, and accept that we are going down the route of football.
I see your point but I unfortunately think that exclusion from being considered for International representation will not deter fringe players from the big bucks and until an young player has really performed at one of our four regions they are not really in consideration. No matter how promising, they are fringe players and if, as Morgan and Williams have, they have played for Wales U20s then they will no longer be able to play international rugby, possibly making them more assured of taking a lucrative contract if offered.

Our best angle is the one that has been mentioned by a number of regional and wru coaches and that is that the players are better looked after by wales than they are at an english or french club, protecting the length of their career far more.

It is a bloody tough situation we are caught in.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Jhamer25 Mon 09 Dec 2013, 12:45 am

Its been a 50/50 weekend for welsh regions some good performances, some unclucky and some not good enough. As the six nations is creeping forward and i made this thread to pick layers on form from their regions and am going to make a Welsh XV of the week (every week). It's just to see who has played well and keep on track of the consistency of the players.
It will be hard to pick players who i haven't actually seen (like this weekend with the Dragons). But i will make a tam from what I have watched and what i have read from reports.
Heineken Cup Round 3 Welsh XV

1. Rob Evans - was the hardest position to choose form this weekend with all Evans, Hobbs and Bevington dong pretty well; you can say there might be a bit of bias here but for his debut against a near full strength Clermont team and to come out of t the way he did, i thought was brilliant. Ball carried, constantly tackling (especially a lot of cover tackling) and he did well at scrum time ( I know at some scrums we struggles but the pressure was being applied from the tight head side of the scrum) i though he managed Kotze really well. Mention to Hobbs though, led from the front (was one of the best games i ever seen him in)
2. Hibbard - came on and made a hell of an impact, was the main reason Osrpeys nealry stole it at the final quarters
3. Ben Broster - not much of a choice with Samson goign off and Aaron having a hard time vs castres; yes ok some might not even remember this guy and he will never make it back into the welsh set up, but on form he was the best welsh tight head of the weekend. he destoryed the Worcester scrum
4. Jake Ball - long with Rob Evans and George Earle were thes bets player sn out team vs Clermont. Got real potential and grit; defo one for the fututre
5. Luke Charteris -Was my a counrty mile the best player in the Perpignan pack
6. Macauley Cook - real good debut for the youngster
7. Tipuric - great as usual
8. Ryan Jones - still got it, was great in Castres

9. Rhys Webb - what a breathe of fresh air he was for the Ospreys, made a great partnership with Biggar; if he keeps that form, you never know what could happen come the Six Nations
10. Patchell - I would put money that he will be our 10 come th enext World Cup, a greta player at such a young age
11. Cuthbert - alway loked dangerous
12. Daffyd Hewitt -not he isn't the bets attacker of defender in Wales, but he is such a good player at the break down. Not many other options to choose form. Scott was good pbut didn't get enough chances to show what he's got
13. James Hook - No option really, Hook was ok vs Perpignan, better than any other 13 that I saw play. Maybe a Dragons fan has an idea of how their did
14. Hallam Amos - Again not many stand out performers, I read form reports that Hallam Amos was very good in his side thrashing though.
15. Liam Williams - Though he did fairly well vs Clermont, a few good runs and very good in the air. didn't see enough from Halfpenny or Fussel to stand out really

I mean a few of these players won't be near the Six Nations team, but i just feel that it is a good way to see who is on form and off form so that we can make our final choices come February.

Anyone who saw the Dragoons game and feels i'm wrong, please make changes

Jhamer25

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Mon 09 Dec 2013, 9:53 am

Dragons being overlooked (again) despite great improvement this season

I'd say Tovey and Rees are possible THE inform halfback pairing of the regions this season

We also have Lewis Evans playing well (dropped out of Welsh squad previously due to Injury, as has Tovey)

Hallam Amos did well in his debut considering and Dan Evans has been great for us at 15 for some time

munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Mon 09 Dec 2013, 9:56 am

Is Jonathan Davies out for the 6 Nations? Would have been good to see how he went with Scott Williams for a run of games

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 09 Dec 2013, 10:03 am

munkian wrote:Dragons being overlooked (again) despite great improvement this season

I'd say Tovey and Rees are possible THE inform halfback pairing of the regions this season

We also have Lewis Evans playing well (dropped out of Welsh squad previously due to Injury, as has Tovey)

Hallam Amos did well in his debut considering and Dan Evans has been great for us at 15 for some time

I don't think the dragons are being overlooked. Plenty of lads in the squad.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Mon 09 Dec 2013, 10:09 am

Plenty ? Coombes and Faletau - people are picking Walker and Dirksen over Amos.
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 09 Dec 2013, 10:11 am

Amos didn't really impress me on his debut, got turned over too many times for my liking, though hes still a kid, his time will come.

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Mon 09 Dec 2013, 10:15 am

Meh, he looked the only attacking threat in the 2nd half
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon 09 Dec 2013, 10:18 am

I'm not sure Amos is an international-standard wing. He's not an out-and-out wing. Given the choice, I think he'd be playing full back.

Last edited by Luckless Pedestrian on Mon 09 Dec 2013, 10:19 am; edited 1 time in total

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 09 Dec 2013, 10:18 am

I didn't think Amos has had that remarkable a season for Wales or the Dragons. Still very young so plenty of time to grow. In my opinion he is sort of level with Harry Robinson with regards welsh honours. Definitely behind North Cuthbert and Walker for now.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Mon 09 Dec 2013, 10:52 am

Jhamer25 wrote:Its been a 50/50 weekend for welsh regions some good performances, some unclucky and some not good enough. As the six nations is creeping forward and i made this thread to pick layers on form from their regions and am going to make a Welsh XV of the week (every week). It's just to see who has played well and keep on track of the consistency of the players.
It will be hard to pick players who i haven't actually seen (like this weekend with the Dragons). But i will make a tam from what I have watched and what i have read from reports.

1. Rob Evans - was the hardest position to choose form this weekend with all Evans, Hobbs and Bevington dong pretty well; you can say there might be a bit of bias here but for his debut against a near full strength Clermont team and to come out of t the way he did, i thought was brilliant. Ball carried, constantly tackling (especially a lot of cover tackling) and he did well at scrum time ( I know at some scrums we struggles but the pressure was being applied from the tight head side of the scrum) i though he managed  Kotze really well. Mention to Hobbs though, led from the front (was one of the best games i ever seen him in)
2. Hibbard -  came on and made a hell of an impact, was the main reason Osrpeys nealry stole it at the final quarters
3. Ben Broster - not much of a choice with Samson goign off and Aaron having a hard time vs castres; yes ok some might not even remember this guy and he will never make it back into the welsh set up, but on form he was the best welsh tight head of the weekend. he destoryed the Worcester scrum
4. Jake Ball -  long with Rob Evans and George Earle were thes bets player sn out team vs Clermont. Got real potential and grit; defo one for the fututre
8. Ryan Jones -  still got it, was great in Castres

9. Rhys Webb - what a breathe of fresh air he was for the Ospreys, made a great partnership with Biggar; if he keeps that form, you never know what could happen come the Six Nations
10. Patchell - I would put money that he will be our 10 come th enext World Cup, a greta player at such a young age
11. Cuthbert -  alway loked dangerous
12. Daffyd Hewitt -not he isn't the bets attacker of defender in Wales, but he is such a good player at the break down. Not many other options to choose form. Scott was good pbut didn't get enough chances to show what he's got
13. James Hook -  No option really, Hook was ok vs Perpignan, better than any other 13 that I saw play. Maybe a Dragons fan has an idea of how their did
14. Hallam Amos - Again not many stand out performers, I read form reports that Hallam Amos was very good in his side thrashing though.
15. Liam Williams - Though he did fairly well vs Clermont, a few good runs and very good in the air. didn't see enough from Halfpenny or Fussel to stand out really

I mean a few of these players won't be near the Six Nations team, but i just feel that it is a good way to see who is on form and off form so that we can make our final choices come February.

Only 4 players from the only Welsh region to get a HC win?

Halfpenny had his best game for the Blues for ages.

Richard Smith was a lot better than Hewitt on the weekend
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Mon 09 Dec 2013, 10:57 am

Right, so a permently crocked player with no caps is ahead of a player who has just been capped because he played in a shoite game ?
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Mon 09 Dec 2013, 10:58 am

Wales are not going to change everything. Gatland will be the Welsh coach at the WC, likely with the same backroom staff.

1. Gethin Jenkins
2. Richard Hibbard
3. Adam Jones
4. Alun Wyn Jones
5. Luke Charteris
6. Ryan Jones
7. Sam Warburton
8. Toby Faletau
9. Mike Phillips
10. Dan Biggar
11. George North
12. Scott Williams
13. Jonathan Davies (Jamie Roberts)
14. Alex Cuthbert
15. Leigh Halfpenny

16. Ken Owens
17. Paul James
18. Craig Mitchell
19. Andrew Coombes
20. Justin Tipuric
21. Rhodri Williams
22. Rhys Preistland
23. Liam Williams

24. Ryan Bevington
25. Rhodri Jones
26. Emyr Phillips
27. Ian Evans
28. Dan Lydiate
29. Aaron Shingler
30. Gareth Davies
31. Rhys Patchell
32. Owen Williams/Cory Allen
33. Jamie Roberts
34. James Hook
35. Eli Walker
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Mon 09 Dec 2013, 11:02 am

So is JD2 back or not ? More of a loss than Roberts IMHO
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 09 Dec 2013, 11:03 am

munkian wrote:Right, so a permently crocked player with no caps is ahead of a player who has just been capped because he played in a shoite game ?

you cant judge either player on their international experience, but at regional level, Walker has proved a lot more lethal a try scorer than Amos so far.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon 09 Dec 2013, 11:28 am

Walker: 10 tries in 36 games. 27.7%

Amos: 5 tries in 27 games. 18.5%

Neither of them has got a particularly great strike rate.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 09 Dec 2013, 11:31 am

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:Walker: 10 tries in 36 games. 27.7%

What is a great strike rate? How do they rank compared to other Welsh players? or Other International aspirants?

I thought a one try in three matches was pretty good. Maybe one in five isn't too bad when you consider the amount of scoring opportunities that layer gets at his region.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Jhamer25 Mon 09 Dec 2013, 4:58 pm

wales606 wrote:
Jhamer25 wrote:Its been a 50/50 weekend for welsh regions some good performances, some unclucky and some not good enough. As the six nations is creeping forward and i made this thread to pick layers on form from their regions and am going to make a Welsh XV of the week (every week). It's just to see who has played well and keep on track of the consistency of the players.

1. Rob Evans - was the hardest position to choose form this weekend with all Evans, Hobbs and Bevington dong pretty well; you can say there might be a bit of bias here but for his debut against a near full strength Clermont team and to come out of t the way he did, i thought was brilliant. Ball carried, constantly tackling (especially a lot of cover tackling) and he did well at scrum time ( I know at some scrums we struggles but the pressure was being applied from the tight head side of the scrum) i though he managed  Kotze really well. Mention to Hobbs though, led from the front (was one of the best games i ever seen him in)
2. Hibbard -  came on and made a hell of an impact, was the main reason Osrpeys nealry stole it at the final quarters
4. Jake Ball -  long with Rob Evans and George Earle were thes bets player sn out team vs Clermont. Got real potential and grit; defo one for the fututre
8. Ryan Jones -  still got it, was great in Castres

11. Cuthbert -  alway loked dangerous
13. James Hook -  No option really, Hook was ok vs Perpignan, better than any other 13 that I saw play. Maybe a Dragons fan has an idea of how their did

Only 4 players from the only Welsh region to get a HC win?

Halfpenny had his best game for the Blues for ages.

Richard Smith was a lot better than Hewitt on the weekend

Yes, sorry I know Ospreys and Scarlets lost but both had phases where they really looked dangerous. The Blues were awesome and maybe i'm not giving them enough praise as they deserve. Also I couldn't put Tau' Filise or Copeland in because neither started are Welsh. I just hope Earle can become Welsh qualified, he made 26 tackles this weekend vs Clermont (he has been one of our best signings in year); he add great depth to our welsh team I think.

Don't think Halfpenny played that good, didn't have much of an attacking edge, kicked well and defended well but so did Liam Williams. I just feel Liam had a bit more of an attacking edge this weekend. I might be a bit one eyed though.
I though Hewitt defended really well (best i think iv'e ever seen him actually) and turned over quite a lot of ball at the break down. Maybe Smith would be more deserved of 13 instead of Hook though.

Jhamer25

Back to top Go down

Post by Jhamer25 Mon 09 Dec 2013, 5:00 pm

munkian wrote:So is JD2 back or not ? More of a loss than Roberts IMHO

No he isn't. I think he is due to be back just afterwards. But with the current backroom staff doing their magic you never know.

Jhamer25

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 09 Dec 2013, 5:03 pm

Jhamer25 wrote:
munkian wrote:So is JD2 back or not ? More of a loss than Roberts IMHO

No he isn't. I think he is due to be back just afterwards. But with the current backroom staff doing their magic you never know.

Thanks for that. I wasn't sure either.

Does anyone know how long young Cory Allen and Dixon are out for?

Minus JD2 there are still a few good options.

Roberts
Scott Williams
Owen Williams
Adam Warren

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Mon 09 Dec 2013, 5:06 pm

What do you guys think your first choice centre partnership will be when all fully fit?

JD2 has been brilliant, and Roberts looks to be pretty central to the Gatland gameplan.

Scott Williams has really impressed me too, as did Allen so some good options there.

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by Jhamer25 Mon 09 Dec 2013, 5:13 pm

To me we have 3 senior centers know who can shine on the international stage which is:
Jamie Roberts
John Davies
Scott Williams

Then we have 3 very promising talents in:
Dixon
Allen
Owen Williams

As far as I know the two our of contention for the Six Nations is Dixon and John Davies

I'm not sure about Allen if anyone else does, i doubt he will be with a dislocated shoulder though

So at the moment I would look at out current center choices as:
Scott Williams
Jamie Roberts
Owen Williams
With Hook as cover
Next to be called up would be Adam Warren

So through the Six Nations, hoping they all stay fit now i would imagine a combination of:
12. Jamie Roberts
13. Scott Williams

When all of out players are fit I would stick with:
12. Scott Williams
13. Johnathan Davies

Jhamer25

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 09 Dec 2013, 5:42 pm

What about Ashley Beck?

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Mon 09 Dec 2013, 5:52 pm

So is Scott Williams a 12 who can play 13, or vice versa? Really lucky to have centres with that kind of skillset, that both JD2 and Williams do which means they can play both positions

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by Jhamer25 Mon 09 Dec 2013, 6:07 pm

IronMike wrote:What about Ashley Beck?

God bluddy hell I completely forgot about him sorry. Hasn't he pick up a bit of an injury though, is he fit come Six Nations. Anyway he doesn't come into a bracket of Senior player or promising young talent at the moment. He was playing some great rugby last season but has put his foot of the accelerator a bit. I think it's between him and Owen Williams to fight it out for the last canter spot come the Six Nations.

Jhamer25

Back to top Go down

Post by Jhamer25 Mon 09 Dec 2013, 6:09 pm

BamBam wrote:So is Scott Williams a 12 who can play 13, or vice versa? Really lucky to have centres with that kind of skillset, that both JD2 and Williams do which means they can play both positions

When he was splaying for the scarlet's I have always said he was a 13 but he has shown good traces at international level of a really good 12. I would say he is a fairly versatile center yes.

Jhamer25

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue 10 Dec 2013, 8:39 am

Beck has never impressed me and if fit I would rather see us invest bit of game time in Cory Allen. JD, Roberts and Sc Williams are clearly our first choice (perm 2 from 3) with the others at least now putting pressure on them.

Gatland likes his combinations and our best back row combo is still Lydiate, Faletau and Warburton with IMO our next best option is Warburton, Faletau and Tipuiric

I know there are always calls for R Jones to play at 6 or 8 but he isn't our best option at either but is a great squad member.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 11 Dec 2013, 8:34 am

From the Ospreys I think Ben John is worth a look.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Wed 11 Dec 2013, 9:30 am

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:Walker: 10 tries in 36 games. 27.7%

Not a direct comparison but Cuthbert is 16 from 23 Pro 12 games, George North 9 from 14 games. (1 in 5 in the Jeff though!)

Both well over 50% in that competition.

Both have test try scoring records around 50%

It shouldnt be the only measure for a potential test player but it is fair to say those two guys mentioned dont have good try scoring ratios measured against their peers.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 11 Dec 2013, 9:51 am

Pretty awesome stats...! They are both looking very good this season

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Jhamer25 Sun 15 Dec 2013, 8:47 pm

I did it last week, see what you al think this week. Overall it has been a good weekend for the regions with Ospreys and Cardiff beating two teams that are by no means easy wins. Shame the Scarlets forgot to play rugby during the second half to their game, Also sounds like the Dragon has a horrid time in France.

Welsh XV of Round 4 Heineken Cup
1. Ryan Bevington - done really well considering that Aaron wasn't having a very good day ont he tight, very good work rate and did put some pressure on a few occasions
2. Kritian Dacey - has been in some sort of form the past few weeks and cemented a starting spot since Mathew has been away. Looking like a good prospect.
3. Samson Lee - Ok there was a penalty try but some calls were no doubt very harsh on the young tighthead. Up against possibly the worlds best and kept him at the helm for the first half. Good experience for him.
4. Jake Ball - Has become a rock in our pack now, I don't understand why we took him off so early
5. Louis Dicomidis - I want to say George Earle but he isn't qualified yet. Not many other locks stood out this weekend with our 4 main locks not in actions, but considering he has just came up from the premierhsip I think he has done a great job for the Blues, a big lump and has put a lot of pressure on at the fringes since he has came to the Blues
6. Josh Turnball - has been the best game i have seen him plain in 2 seasons, maybe it's because he has been playing out of position a lot. Great at the break down and a lot of tackles made
7. Justin Tipuric - Nothing needs to be said apart from that he has to be our number 1 number 7 come the six nations.
8. Ryan Jones - He doesn't get enough praise for his work at the break down, sled from the front and another who needs to be considered as a first choice option a 6 come the six nations. Lydiate was anonymous for Racing, his move to France hasn't been an effective one.

9. Rhys Webb -  has really picked up the pace of the Ospreys games, greta quick service from the scrum half
10. Dan Biggar - Again has to e our number 1 number 10 come the six antions. A greta all round display form Dan.
11. Tom James - was awesome for Exeter, made a lot of breaks and looked fairly dangerous in attack
12. Rhys Patchell - players 12 and I wasn't so sure when the team was announces but he did really step up. Not too mention that monster kick from his own 22. Another who is going form strength to strength
13. George North -  one of the commentators said that it looked like he has been playing there for years. In my eyes, outshone BOD and was used much more effectively. George North Centre? It's a bluddy good option
14. Alex Cuthbert - No WQ wingers really stood out for me this week. A few good runs but he wasn't at his best
15. Leigh Halfpenny -  played a lot better than last week and was Mr reliable yet again

Clearly I haven't seen the Dragons game, if anyone wasn't to say or mention about a players performance then please do. A lot of out big player like Jamie Roberts, Scott Williams, Liam Williams, Dan Lydiate didn't have a very good weekends really and a lot of our stars are still out. Lets hope a lot of players are back and in form come the Christmas derbies.

Jhamer25

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Mon 16 Dec 2013, 9:57 am

Jesus, if that was to be our best side then god help us.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Jhamer25 Mon 16 Dec 2013, 3:58 pm

bedfordwelsh wrote:Jesus, if that was to be our best side then god help us.

Haha very true but all our main guns like Warburton, Alyn Wyn, Ian Evans, Bradley, Adam Jones, Luke Charteris, Gethin Jenkins, Johnathan Davies didn't play then player like Scott Williams, Hibbard, Liam Williams, Dan Lydiate, Jamie Roberts, Mike Phillips all didn't have their best games.

It was quite hard to pick really.

Jhamer25

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 16 Dec 2013, 5:33 pm

I think Rhys Patchell is seriously worth having a look at now after watching the last 2 games vs Glasgow, he was caught out a bit in defence in the last game which I think is more to do with him being at 12 .

But he has a varied game, he has pace, looks comfortable with ball in hand and with kicking. Speaking of which, he has a monster boot.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jhamer25 Mon 16 Dec 2013, 6:26 pm

Well versatility can count for a lot in modern rugby. It' nice to have a player in the team were they can play more then one position.
North is a prime example, i would like to see him have a few more games at center with the saints.
Patchell is a natural 10, but the Blues aren't well stocked on centers so maybe we can see him play their more often.

Jhamer25

Back to top Go down

Post by Totallybiasedscarlet Mon 16 Dec 2013, 9:44 pm

I think we need to blood some youngsters 2 years out from the RWC to at least cover the old heads or replace them if they run out of steam.

My 22.

Halfpenny
North
JD2
Scott Williams
Cuthbert
Patchell
Gareth Davies

Faletau
Tipuric
Warburton
Evans
AWJ
Lee
Hibbard
James

A.Jones
Owens
Jenkins
Charteris
Lydiate

Rhodri Williams
James Hook
Roberts

Reasoning on 9/10 - Phillips is a knob. Priestland is guff and Biggar is very, very ordinary. Gareth Davies is combative without being a complete numpty and gets over the gainline consistently. He's also good at getting his pack going and has the physicality to cope. Patchell is one for the future and now is the time to set him on his way if he's going to be ready for the RWC - also necessity is forcing Wales' hand I believe.

And for the record, yes I know my choices are pants and my reasoning utterly, woefully ignorant, but I am a Wales supporter and yes I am a blydi selector so there   raspberry
Totallybiasedscarlet
Totallybiasedscarlet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next