The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welsh Squad for Six Nations

+19
wales606
BamBam
munkian
chris_501
cooler king
irnbrew
glamorganalun
bedfordwelsh
samuraidragon
Casartelli
RuggerRadge2611
Luckless Pedestrian
ScarletSpiderman
BigTrevsbigmac
flyhalffactory
Scratch
maestegmafia
Norfolklass
Jhamer25
23 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Welsh Squad for Six Nations - Page 3 Empty Welsh Squad for Six Nations

Post by Jhamer25 Mon 02 Dec 2013, 6:29 pm

First topic message reminder :

Well we have to look forwards and upwards now. I see there is already an English thread for this matter, just thought it's time to start our own; after all its not too far away and will come around very quick.
Here is a great article:
http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/autumn-analysis-seven-key-areas-6359245
Apart form the front row bit they couldn't be more right

Taking into account that everyone is fit and available and looking forward I would go for the following:
(except for the player we already know are un-available: Bradley Davies, Johnathan Davies, Craig Mitchell, Jack Dixon, Cory Allen any others)
Obviously my chosen team will change as time goes on as people might come into form and out of of form but this is the team on current form. A squad of 36 (i'm going for a 16/15 split)

Props
Gethin Jenkins
Paul James
Rhys Gill
Adam Jones
Samson Lee

Hookers
Hibbard
Ken Owens

Locks
Luke Charteris
Alyn Wyn Jones
Ian Evans
Jake Ball

Flankers
Dan Lydiate
Justin Tipuric
Sam Warburton
Ryan Jones

Number 8
Toby Falateu

Scrum Half
Richie Rees
Rhodri Williams
Gareth Davies

Outside Half
Biggar
Priestland
Hook

Centers
Jamie Roberts
Scott Williams
Owen Williams
Ashley Beck

Wings
Liam Williams
Alex Cuthbert
Leigh Halfpenny
George North
Eli Walker

I really considered:
Lee Byrne instead of Eli Walker

Team to face Italy
1. Gethin Jenkins
2. Richard Hibbard
3. Adam Jones
4. Alyn Wyn Jones (C.)
5. Luke Charteris
6. Dan Lydiate
7. Justin Tipuric
8. Toby Falateu

9. Rhodri Williams
10. Dan Biggar
11. George North
12. Jamie Roberts
13. Scott Williams (If John Davies is fit = 12. Scott Williams, 13. Johnathan Davies)
14. Alex Cuthbert
15. Leigh Halfpenny

Ask questions by all means, this isn't the final team should be but a ruff idea of how i would like it to look at current events.
Gatland really needs to consider what is right now and stop being stubborn about his personal feelings with the players.

I am really interested to know other people's views, do you think I have made to many changes.

What would your team be?

Last edited by Jhamer25 on Tue 03 Dec 2013, 5:10 pm; edited 2 times in total

Jhamer25

Back to top Go down

Welsh Squad for Six Nations - Page 3 Empty Re: Welsh Squad for Six Nations

Post by munkian Tue 17 Dec 2013, 4:42 am

Totallybiasedscarlet wrote:I think we need to blood some youngsters 2 years out from the RWC to at least cover the old heads or replace them if they run out of steam.

My 22.

Halfpenny
North
JD2
Scott Williams
Cuthbert
Patchell
Gareth Davies

Faletau
Tipuric
Warburton
Evans
AWJ
Lee
Hibbard
James

A.Jones
Owens
Jenkins
Charteris
Lydiate

Rhodri Williams
James Hook
Roberts

Reasoning on 9/10 - Phillips is a knob. Priestland is guff and Biggar is very, very ordinary. Gareth Davies is combative without being a complete numpty and gets over the gainline consistently. He's also good at getting his pack going and has the physicality to cope. Patchell is one for the future and now is the time to set him on his way if he's going to be ready for the RWC - also necessity is forcing Wales' hand I believe.

And for the record, yes I know my choices are pants and my reasoning utterly, woefully ignorant, but I am a Wales supporter and yes I am a blydi selector so there   raspberry

The 'totall biased' part of your username is completely redudant, you could just have 'Scarlet' and we'd get the gist of it  Very Happy 
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 17 Dec 2013, 4:50 am

It might be interesting to give you Sampson the three shirt until Adam is ready.

I am not sure how they will manage his career. But they don't seem to want to rush him at international level.

Great news as he is a hell of a prospect.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 17 Dec 2013, 7:52 am

Jhamer25 wrote:Well versatility can count for a lot in modern rugby. It' nice to have a player in the team were they can play more then one position.
North is a prime example, i would like to see him have a few more games at center with the saints.
Patchell is a natural 10, but the Blues aren't well stocked on centers so maybe we can see him play their more often.

I think it was real desperation, nearly all of our centres are injured (Hewitt, Allen, Williams, Evans), he had a MOTM performance the previous week at 10 so they wouldn't have shifted him if they didn't have to.

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue 17 Dec 2013, 8:29 am

Think most would like to see alternatives to Phillips and additions to Biggar and Priestland, I would like to see Tovey get a crack and Richie Rees but we also need to develop some back up to Faletau.

R Jones is a great squad player but no spring chicken, Turnbull has never done it for me so maybe Morgan Allen or Ieuan Jones need to be looked at in the next 2 years.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Totallybiasedscarlet Tue 17 Dec 2013, 3:39 pm

Tovey and Rees not bad players but please no more Mike "I'm a hard man, oops I got duffed up by a fat bouncer" Phillips or Rhys "Please tell me I'm a good player" Priestland. Pants the pair of them.
Totallybiasedscarlet
Totallybiasedscarlet

Back to top Go down

Post by Jhamer25 Tue 17 Dec 2013, 4:12 pm

IronMike wrote:
Jhamer25 wrote:Well versatility can count for a lot in modern rugby. It' nice to have a player in the team were they can play more then one position.
North is a prime example, i would like to see him have a few more games at center with the saints.
Patchell is a natural 10, but the Blues aren't well stocked on centers so maybe we can see him play their more often.

I think it was real desperation, nearly all of our centres are injured (Hewitt, Allen, Williams, Evans), he had a MOTM performance the previous week at 10 so they wouldn't have shifted him if they didn't have to.

Very true. He does have the skill to go there I think though, great hands.

Jhamer25

Back to top Go down

Post by The Bachelor Wed 18 Dec 2013, 7:52 am

Hopefully Patchell makes the step up.

The Bachelor

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 18 Dec 2013, 8:41 am

Totallybiasedscarlet wrote:Tovey and Rees not bad players but please no more Mike "I'm a hard man, oops I got duffed up by a fat bouncer" Phillips or Rhys "Please tell me I'm a good player" Priestland. Pants the pair of them.

Mikes biggest problem is that he's a great player, but not a great scrum half.

Back to top Go down

Post by awisepenguin Thu 19 Dec 2013, 1:37 pm

(From a Scotland fan looking in)

Patchell surely needs to be picked for your prep for RWC 2015. Play him against us and Italy as our 10s are rubbish atm.

awisepenguin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jhamer25 Thu 19 Dec 2013, 2:01 pm

awisepenguin wrote:(From a Scotland fan looking in)

Patchell surely needs to be picked for your prep for RWC 2015. Play him against us and Italy as our 10s are rubbish atm.

haha I do think he will be out 10 come the World Cup, but i have said that we must keep with Biggar at the moment. We can;t keep swapping between him and Rhys because int not helping. He will be in our set up but I don't think he is ready for this year yet, especially not with our rugby calendar. We don't have any easy game this year really (part form Fiji in November)

Jhamer25

Back to top Go down

Post by Scratch Thu 19 Dec 2013, 2:06 pm

Jhamer25 wrote:
awisepenguin wrote:(From a Scotland fan looking in)

haha I do think he will be out 10 come the World Cup, but i have said that we must keep with Biggar at the moment. We can;t keep swapping between him and Rhys because int not helping. He will be in our set up but I don't think he is ready for this year yet, especially not with our rugby calendar.  We don't have any easy game this year really (part form Fiji in November)

If we are agreed - i think most are - that Priestland is not up to it - then surely it makes sense to introduce Patchell now as a regular on the bench and get him on if and when games are won

Scratch

Back to top Go down

Post by Jhamer25 Thu 19 Dec 2013, 2:37 pm

If Priesltnad leaves for Leiscter scratch then yes it has to be a very big option. I know we don't have the depth in Wales to leave out our best players in France and Gatlands law is a joke really. But it needs to start with small steps with players like Rhys Priest land, Jamie Roberts.Ian Evans, Paul James, Dan Lydiate and Miek Phillips who should be playing in Wales i they want to play for Wales.
There is plenty of cover for Rhys here with Biggar and the talent coming through but Gatland law must come into some sort of rule because it doesn't exist. I understand that players like Hibbard, Davies Halfpenny and Adam Jones which is why it wont wokr for some players. but this is what i must be like now.
I don't think that if Rhys stays he should be dropped from the 23 but if he does leave, then yes keep him in the Wales camp as cover but not as a match day 23 when our players are fit.
In a way it exists for some players already players like Rhys Gill, Gareth Delve, Lee Byrne and James Hook but he hasn't been very consistent enough with it.
It's debatable and a lot might disagree with me, it is unfair but I think it could be a step closer to stop the exodus.

Jhamer25

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Fri 20 Dec 2013, 10:14 am

FFS, Gatlands law as you say never existed, he never said that if players leave Wales they won't get picked.

What was said is that if they go it will make it harder for them and that they must be first choice and not sat on benches which with the exception of Jenkins pretty much all were/are first choice or at least getting regular gametime in a squad rotation.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 20 Dec 2013, 11:03 am

Does it really matter where the lads play?

There is bugger all anyone can do to stop the massive expenditure on players in France, England and Japan and it is a sad fact of the current game that anyone not from one of those three nations will see a player drain away from their shores...!

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Jhamer25 Fri 20 Dec 2013, 1:47 pm

maestegmafia wrote:Does it really matter where the lads play?

There is bugger all anyone can do to stop the massive expenditure on players in France, England and Japan and it is a sad fact of the current game that anyone not from one of those three nations will see a player drain away from their shores...!

It is really a problem for the players but it is a big problem for the stat of welsh rugby. Would I rather watch George North or Krisitan Phillips, little thins like this turn people off.
I really annoys me how Japan nick some of the Southern Hemisphere teams, i bet that's just money left over. They don't take rugby as serious as us yet have money to throw away.

Jhamer25

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 20 Dec 2013, 7:52 pm

Jhamer25 wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:Does it really matter where the lads play?

It is really a problem for the players but it is a big problem for the stat of welsh rugby. Would I rather watch George North or Krisitan Phillips, little thins like this turn people off.
I really annoys me how Japan nick some of the Southern Hemisphere teams, i bet that's just money left over. They don't take rugby as serious as us yet have money to throw away.

None of the money been thrown at players in England, France or Japan is generated by the game though us it. It's all outside investment, TV, business interests.

There are only about four clubs in the world making a profit.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Sat 21 Dec 2013, 2:09 am

Well I know there are 4 clubs in England making a profit in these still relatively early professional days.
Are we the only country with clubs that make a profit?

Nb. Just done a very quick search and around 7 T14 teams are in profit/break even. It isn't always a good business model to make a lot of profit anyway. But that is another discussion entirely I guess.

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by Jhamer25 Sun 22 Dec 2013, 9:06 pm

Wales XV of the week:

1. Ryan Bevington -  has come into form after a poor start tot he season, good at the scrum and is offering a lot in open play.
2. Kristian Dacey - got a habit for the try line latley, nit just that but he has a great work rate and is a very storng ball carrier STarting to look like a call up to the welsh camp could enhance his potential
3. Adam Jones - Wasn't at his best around the park but still gave Sam Hobbs something to remember. A safe strong and safe performance
4. Jake Ball - Yet again Easterby chose to take of probably our most influential player in our pack, wrong choice and a great player. Come on Gats
5. Andrew Combs - by default really, a heard he played well in Connacht. Not much of  a choice, James King wasn't very goo and it was the worse game Alyn Wyn has had a quite a while. Free to comment Coombs as i didn't see him myself.
6. Josh Turnball - great at the breakdown, 6 is his positions and we have been stupid to mess him about. Reminding me of what a good player he can be (when on form)
7. Justin Tipuric -  nothing needs to be said
8. Joe Bearman -  will never get a call up but he always gives the Ospreys go forwards and is a veyr under estimated player

9. Rhodri Williams - the absence of Rhys Webb showed for the ospreys. Rhodri had a good few phases of play and was fairly quick with hos service.
10. Dan Biggar - definitely has to be 10 come six nations, no competition really
11. Harry Robinson - has one of his better games, felt he offered a  bit more in attack than Cuthbert who was a bit quite
12. Ross Wardle - again not many people stood out here but reading reports it seemed he was a threat for the Drags.
13. ? - no 13 had a strong game, i have found that centers have been the hardest position to choose since i have started making up these teams. Disappointing really.
14. Hanno Dirkson - a strong second half, people might not like it but I think he should have a shot in the set up. He is the kind of direct back that Gatland keeps his eyes on.
15. Leigh Halfpenny - had a great game, 2 missed kicks does prove he is human though

The next few weeks will show how the true talent in Wales Hoping for good games with stand out player. The past few weeks a lot of our star haven't been playing very well which is why the teams  have crat have looker really week. I hope next will be stronger looking XV

Jhamer25

Back to top Go down

Post by Jhamer25 Sun 29 Dec 2013, 2:00 pm

Fair to say a good week for welsh rugby, could be the last but time will tell in 2 days I guess:
The derbies lived up to expectation and a lot of young player have come through and are putting there hand up for the Six Nations teams I feel:
Team of the Week:
1. Phil John - will never be in the welsh team at his age bu it has been his best season by date, stood his ground against the best there is. Culd see him getting a call up if there is a crisis though
2. Kristian Dacey - players like Dacey are the reason I started making weekly teams because it proves how well they have consecutively played now.
3. Samson lee - Was not only great at scrum time but put in a great shift in the loose, some good hits stoppe the Ospreys boys in there tracks
4. Jake Ball - don;t need to say anything really
5. Alyn WYyn Jones - back to his best with his immense work rate and lineout work, back his usual self
6. Ryan Jones - doens't get enough praise for his work at the break down. Such an underestimated player i think
7. Lewis Evans - really surprised me really, never really sen him as a seven but he was great at the breakdown and is so strong in contact
8. Toby Falateau - havent; seen him play in weeks but he didn't look out of sorts at all

9. Rhys Webb - the in form 9 in wales since he has come back form injury
10. Jason Tovey - Biggar and Priestland both had good game but Biggar wasn't his best in attack and neither was Priestland in defense. Tovey didn't put a foot wrong, should have been MOM
11. Hallam Amos - Looked more dangerous than Cuthbert and offered himself a lot more
12. Scott Williams - like Alyn Wyn really, hadn't had the bets few weeks but game back to form, great in defense
13.  Pat leach - Like Scott Williams, a great defensive game from him, the Blues couldn't do nothing
14. George North - Constantly got Northampton on the front foot, always dangerous
15. Liam Williams/ Dan Evans - Puts everything into everything he does, Dan Evans played really well though so it is hard to pick between the two

Jhamer25

Back to top Go down

Post by Totallybiasedscarlet Sun 29 Dec 2013, 3:53 pm

Jake Ball & Samson Lee are two of the biggest reasons the Scarlets scrum has gone well this year. Frankly both should be in the Welsh squad for the 6N (Jake Ball WQ I believe?)
Totallybiasedscarlet
Totallybiasedscarlet

Back to top Go down

Post by Jhamer25 Sun 29 Dec 2013, 4:02 pm

Totallybiasedscarlet wrote:Jake Ball & Samson Lee are two of the biggest reasons the Scarlets scrum has gone well this year. Frankly both should be in the Welsh squad for the 6N (Jake Ball WQ I believe?)

Yep all 19 stone of him, his dad is welsh

Both need to be in the Squad as they both have so much to offer at such young ages

Jhamer25

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 29 Dec 2013, 5:07 pm

Lee definitely yeah. Don't know who you can drop for Ball though. I guess if Evans doesn't get his starts then really it should be him, but I suppose Coombs would be the first second row to drop out (if Gatland was to drop one and keep to his five locks).

Back to top Go down

Post by Jhamer25 Sun 29 Dec 2013, 5:26 pm

Risca Rev wrote:Lee definitely yeah. Don't know who you can drop for Ball though. I guess if Evans doesn't get his starts then really it should be him, but I suppose Coombs would be the first second row to drop out (if Gatland was to drop one and keep to his five locks).

I think lock is our strongest stock of players and combinations will always change  due to form and inury:
Alyn Wyn
Luke Charteris
Ian Evans
Bradley Davies
Andrew Coombs

these are our front runner who have all proved themselves at international level but there is always at least 2 that are injured

Ian Evans has been in decline since the Lions tour, his move to France isn't going to help is chances with no guaranteed game time at Toulon. I believe our best combination at the present and come six nations is:
4. Alyn Wyn
5. Luke Charteris

I think Bradley Davies is out or wont get enough game time in time for the Six Nations
On current form I would put Ball in front of both Ian Evans and Andrew Coombs (who i see as a versatile replacement) but for some reason Gatland takes James King into consideration (even thought he isn't really a lock and is no where near big our physical enough to be an international lock)

If Gatland has been watching Jake play then i can;t see how he could lave him out of the squad.
Anyway it's great to see that our current stock of locks has so much depth

Jhamer25

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Mon 30 Dec 2013, 7:33 am

Problem being I can only see 4 specialist 2nd rowers being selected with then the likes of Jones and Coombs being selected as utility/cover.

For me the 4 in pole are AWJ,Charteris, Davies and Evans. I would start with AWJ and Charteris, so I guess with Davies being injured and Evans having dropped down pecking order at the O's then maybe a slot will open.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 30 Dec 2013, 8:46 am

If Davies isn't back in time then Ball would be a clever addition.

Sampson should be guaranteed for a tight head spot.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Jhamer25 Thu 09 Jan 2014, 12:32 pm

Welsh squad is set to be announced on Tuesday, can't see many changes but a few new faces would be good to the team.
English have announced a fairly strong team today and will be our biggest challenge at Twickenham.
Here is my predictions for Thursday of a 35 man team:
Props
Gethin Jenkins
Paul James
Ryan Bevington
Adam Jones
Samson Lee
Rhodri Jones

Hookers
Richard Hibbard
Ken Owens
Kristian Dacey (i hope)

Locks
Luke Charteris
Alyn Wyn Jones
Ian Evans
Jake Ball
Andrew Coombs

Flankers
Ryan Jones
Dan Lydiate
Sam Warbuton
Justin Tipuric

Toby Falateau

Scrum Half
Rhys Webb
Mike Phillips
Rhodri Williams

Outside Half
Dan Biggar
Rhys Priestland
James Hook

Center
Scott Williams
Jamie Roberts
Ashley Beck

Wings
Alex Cuthbert
George North
Hanno Dirksen
Hallam Amos

FullBack
Leigh Halfpenny
Liam Williams
Dan Evans

I think that's a very good squad with a lot of versatile player who are able to fill in for certain positions.
Iv's put a few names in like Dan Evans, Jake Ball and Rhys Webb in because i would like to see them there but it's up to Gatland now. I put the ones in bold who might  not be in the team at all

Last edited by Jhamer25 on Thu 09 Jan 2014, 1:17 pm; edited 1 time in total

Jhamer25

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Thu 09 Jan 2014, 12:41 pm

Jhamer,

I would like to see another 8 in there either Allen or Ieuan Jones, has Bradley Davies been ruled out if not will expect him to be in there.

Also Lydiate will be there of that I have no doubt and for me he is still our best 6 though admittedly he seems to be off form a bit, not sure who would be my 3rd choice hooker and I would put Tovey in there as 3rd 10.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Jhamer25 Thu 09 Jan 2014, 1:21 pm

bedfordwelsh wrote:Jhamer,

I would like to see another 8 in there either Allen or Ieuan Jones, has Bradley Davies been ruled out if not will expect him to be in there.

Also Lydiate will be there of that I have no doubt and for me he is still our best 6 though admittedly he seems to be off form a bit, not sure who would be my 3rd choice hooker and I would put Tovey in there as 3rd 10.

Sorry i put Tipuric twice, meant Lydiate. Just change that

The thing with number 8 is that there is no one else that Gatland considers worthy of calling up yet. I would Like to see either Dan Baker or Morgan Allen but it won't happen. As long as Toby is fit and Ryan and Sam can cover, i don't think he is going to pick anyone else.
I would have Tovey in the team but only it there were more center available because Hook needs to be able to cover center as we are very low on stock at the moment. Tovey has been great and i would have him in the squad but would Gatland pick him

Jhamer25

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Fri 10 Jan 2014, 5:47 am

No Tovey or Richie ? For shame, most consitant pairing AND they are behind a poor pack.
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Fri 10 Jan 2014, 1:41 pm

Again I guess we know Hook will be in there so thats the 3rd 10 slot taken care of which means unless Priestland or Biggar are dropped then I doubt we will see Tovey selected.

Do we know if the squad on tuesday is the actual squad or an extended training squad, anyone have any inside gen?
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Jhamer25 Fri 10 Jan 2014, 2:35 pm

munkian wrote:No Tovey or Richie ? For shame, most consitant pairing AND they are behind a poor pack.

To be honest munkian is the Dragons' own fault if Richie Rees isn't in the squad because he was playing great at the start of the season but now he seem to be behind Wayne Evans in the pecking order. I mean Richie was the in form 9 but i don't understand why Lyn hasn't been starting him as much as they should.
As i said, i would have Tovey but will Gatland pick him ahead of hook?

Jhamer25

Back to top Go down

Post by Jhamer25 Fri 10 Jan 2014, 2:36 pm

bedfordwelsh wrote:Again I guess we know Hook will be in there so thats the 3rd 10 slot taken care of which means unless Priestland or Biggar are dropped then I doubt we will see Tovey selected.

Do we know if the squad on tuesday is the actual squad or an extended training squad, anyone have any inside gen?

All i read was that the sin nations squad was being announced on Thursday. I would expect it to be the extended training squad because there is only two weeks after that then isn't it

Jhamer25

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3