The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Froch-Groves - Closer it gets the the more Groves chances dwindle !!

+16
hampo17
TopHat24/7
mobilemaster8
KingMonkey
oxring
tunes666
Mr Bounce
Lance
Strongback
Hammersmith harrier
Haito
azania
Nico the gman
joeyjojo618
Seanusarrilius
TRUSSMAN66
20 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Froch-Groves - Closer it gets the the more Groves chances dwindle !! Empty Froch-Groves - Closer it gets the the more Groves chances dwindle !!

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 12 Nov 2013, 5:11 pm

I liked this fight two months ago...........Whilst I picked Froch I thought Groves would surprise us all.......However in the last few days for some reason I hate Groves chances........

1. I just don't see how with his lack of head movement he doesn't get mashed..........

2. I can't see him hurting froch.....

3. I can't see froch's well being dry enough..

4. Whilst he's a prize a-hole......Booth is the kinda guy I'd have loved training me........Wonderfully cool in the corner under adversity (like Duff) and very good at spotting holes in the opposition.......

Changing my mind into an easy night for Froch.........and it's a shame..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Froch-Groves - Closer it gets the the more Groves chances dwindle !! Empty Re: Froch-Groves - Closer it gets the the more Groves chances dwindle !!

Post by Seanusarrilius Tue 12 Nov 2013, 5:17 pm

I agree. Groves has had disruption in his build up, both in camp and in court. Don't see how Groves can hurt Froch before Froch gets to him, either. Got money on Froch stoppage, feeling pretty confident about it.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Froch-Groves - Closer it gets the the more Groves chances dwindle !! Empty Re: Froch-Groves - Closer it gets the the more Groves chances dwindle !!

Post by joeyjojo618 Tue 12 Nov 2013, 5:33 pm

Groves has got a slightly questionable chin and no big fight experience. I can only see him getting blown away like Bute.

joeyjojo618

Back to top Go down

Post by Nico the gman Tue 12 Nov 2013, 5:37 pm

I have nothing against Groves this fight 12 months from now may have been a lot more competitive.

I feel Groves is trying to walk before he can crawl, experience is key, competitive fights against top 10 or world class opposition is how you develop into a title challenger,Groves is not the finished article.

Badly hurt early on against Anderson, if it happens with Froch, Groves won't be given time to recover.

Groves may make us all eat our words but it would be a major shock for me.

Nico the gman

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 12 Nov 2013, 5:44 pm

Not sure Nico If he'd ever be readier than he is now......

My problem is with his style and it's suitability for Froch.........

Think he'll miss Booth too.......Hope I'm wrong.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Tue 12 Nov 2013, 5:46 pm

I've sided with Groves from Day 1 and won't change my mind. I've never been sold on Froch and believe GG has the talent to capitalise on Froch's many limitations.

But Froch is one tough mofo. Looking to seeing the fight on my laptop Very Happy 

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Nico the gman Tue 12 Nov 2013, 5:51 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Not sure Nico If he'd ever be readier than he is now......

My problem is with his style and it's suitability for Froch.........

Think he'll miss Booth too.......Hope I'm wrong.
Do you see Groves improving down the line then Truss or someone you feel is as good as he is going to be,example of that is Alex Arthur looked the business early on in his career but never improved the way I thought he would,it happens.

Nico the gman

Back to top Go down

Post by Haito Tue 12 Nov 2013, 6:06 pm

Always favoured Froch in this one.Froch knows he can ko Groves and I see him just cutting the ring down and walking through Groves so he can unload his own punches.

Groves will stick and move and has enough about him to make the fight very competetive and maybe even lead on the cards until midway but Froch will get to him at some point and its at this stage Groves will struggle.

Froch ko round 8 for me.
Haito
Haito

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Tue 12 Nov 2013, 6:13 pm

Groves is a very intelligent fighter. I reckon Froch is underestimating him. He is one fighter who is visibly improving each time he steps into the ring. Great skill set and punch variety. Froch is by far the tougher of the two and that may win out. BUt I doubt he will Bute him.

GG by a wide UD after going through some very shaky moments. Froch cannot win via points imo. He has to KO him. I can't see GG being outboxed by Froch.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Tue 12 Nov 2013, 6:15 pm

So the first five posters predict a comfortable Froch win then hey presto Az goes the opposite way.

Froch by Bute style blow out.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Tue 12 Nov 2013, 6:28 pm

Called Froch to walk through Groves the day the fight was announced.

With Booth gone along with the court case it's even more clear cut.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Tue 12 Nov 2013, 6:30 pm

I expect Groves to use his speed and low expectations to stay out of trouble for most of the fight. Froch has many strengths, but chasing a faster guy around the ring is clearly not one of them. I agree Groves will struggle to hurt Froch, and I think he might be surprised at Carls power. I think Froch has good power, its just harder to score KOs when hes been fighting at the top level for a while now. As soon as Groves gets hurt I think he will be on his bike. Im going for Froch in a very lop sided decision.

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Tue 12 Nov 2013, 6:30 pm

Sorry HH, I picked Groves as soon as the fight was announced.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Nico the gman Tue 12 Nov 2013, 7:17 pm

Don't know were this confidence is coming from for Groves,certainly isn't on the opposition he's fought, too far too soon for me.

Nico the gman

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Tue 12 Nov 2013, 7:53 pm

I believe that he has the style and tools required to get the job done. I've always backed him even before the degale fight. Hus ring intelligence is superb. Plus he is adaptable and can alter tactics mid fight.

Groves is very underrated by many. Froch may think he can walk through groves. I hope so as groves will pepper him with shots all night long.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Tue 12 Nov 2013, 9:00 pm

I still think Froch will win, but I feel that Groves is not being given the credit he deserves here. He is better than a lot of people think, can box and bang a bit too.

Let's not forget that Groves walked through Charles Adamu who'd never been on the floor before, putting him down 3 times before it was stopped. Froch didn't dent him. Granted Adamu was 6 years younger when Carl fought him, but the timing from Groves that night was superb. If he brings that sort of form, he has a chance.

Froch by TKO in 10, after some trench warfare! Yikes

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by Nico the gman Tue 12 Nov 2013, 9:35 pm

I feel it will be Groves who underestimates Frochs boxing skills,if he thinks Froch is just a walk forward slugger he better wake up and smell the coffee.

Prediction Froch KO between 5 and 8, I'll have a good punt on it.

Nico the gman

Back to top Go down

Post by tunes666 Tue 12 Nov 2013, 9:47 pm

Mr Bounce wrote:I still think Froch will win, but I feel that Groves is not being given the credit he deserves here. He is better than a lot of people think, can box and bang a bit too.

Let's not forget that Groves walked through Charles Adamu who'd never been on the floor before, putting him down 3 times before it was stopped. Froch didn't dent him. Granted Adamu was 6 years younger when Carl fought him, but the timing from Groves that night was superb. If he brings that sort of form, he has a chance.

Froch by TKO in 10, after some trench warfare! Yikes
Actually Froch floored him in the 8th, 6 years before Groves did... And the reason no one else has is Groves and Froch are the only good fighters he has fought.

The only live fight Groves has had where he has not just picked at the left overs of once good fighters, is James Degale, and many would have given that fight to Degale. Admittedly Groves has improved since.. But then again he has not fought anyone since who you would expect to give him a hard night.

tunes666

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 12 Nov 2013, 10:53 pm

Oh dear........Groves and froch are not friendly........

Have a feeling though it will be......all kisses after the fight.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Wed 13 Nov 2013, 1:55 am

Prime, peak Froch vs prime, peak Groves (so far) - Froch has all the tools to stop Groves. The power and shot type of an Anderson, for instance, the jab of an Anderson-esque fighter, a chin and an engine.

Groves has been improving - but how much does Froch have left? He is by no means a young fighter and has been in some wars. Bute was a great night for Carl - but Bute couldn't put a dent in him - Groves could, theoretically and Groves has shown some good head movement and punch avoidance.

If Froch takes this lightly or doesn't turn up in form/shape - he could lose this one.
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by KingMonkey Wed 13 Nov 2013, 7:39 am

I've said from the off I expect a Bute type destruction but am hoping Groves makes more of a fight of it. By that I mean he uses his feet and lateral movement. If he can frustrate Froch it could get interesting and as has already been said, Groves's power is good. Groves could be the biggest puncher Froch has seen for a long time and if those hard fights have taken their toll on Carl.... Who knows.

A lot of ifs there though.

KingMonkey

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Wed 13 Nov 2013, 9:05 am

How do we gauge Groves power? He has fought nobody really of note. Couldn't hurt Johnson or De Gale. De gale being the only decent fighter he faced.

Froch via brutal destruction or points. (points if Groves decides to run)

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by KingMonkey Wed 13 Nov 2013, 9:14 am

He put Johnson down. Froch never got close. Paul Smith got sparked in two and Gonzalez ktfo also. These are heavy, one punch knock outs/downs. His timing looks superb.

KingMonkey

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 13 Nov 2013, 9:20 am

It's weird, given the consensus view on here the odds are annoyingly short on here.

18/5 is the best you can get on a GG win, improving slightly to 13/2 if you back him by decision (which is the most likely of the two possibilities, Carl just doesn't get stopped).

Fancy a cheaky flutter of a couple of quid hoping for really big odds but the bookies are playing it safe it seems.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Wed 13 Nov 2013, 9:23 am

Groves being very underrated here for me, he has superb timing and that ability to make you walk on to shots. You only have to look at his stoppage of Paul Smith to see that, he timed that shot superbly.

I can't imagine he is underrating Froch one bit, he isn't stupid and will know that Froch can hurt him. I don't know if he can avoid Froch all night long but for me Froch has looked a little rattled in the build up, especially on Ringside and could just throw his game plan out of the window.

Worth remembering that this is the young pretender talking down the world wide superstar as he put it, I can't imagine Frochs ego is taking that to well.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Wed 13 Nov 2013, 9:30 am

I fancy Froch to win, I simply don't know how good Groves is.

But Froch isn't superman he's beginning to become overhyped , Dirrell outboxed him, and old Glencoffe Johnson was able to steal rounds from Froch, Ward outboxed him and Kessler had good success.

Where Groves stands in terms of levels compared to them I don't know , however he might be able to make Froch ponderous for a while.

Cheers Rodders
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Wed 13 Nov 2013, 9:33 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Oh dear........Groves and froch are not friendly........

Have a feeling though it will be......all kisses after the fight.
That's why you'll be watching eh truss.

I remember when groves sparred with dirrel before the de gale fight. He was complimentary as you'd expect from a sparring partner, but highlighted that he had defensive deficiencies he needed to work on... Head movement among them. When discussing groves' improvements who thinks that he's improved defensively in two years? He probably hasn't fought anyone good enough to test them. Now because dirrell found him easy to hit, it doesn't mean froch will. But given the question marks on George's chin, it's the big worry for groves fans.

Thought it was interesting on ringside when froch and groves discussed their sparring... Groves admitted the knock down but said he got straight up and carried on... And added that he gave froch a going over in their next session. Just his version but it looks like those two sessions referred to are where each is getting their confidence from.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by joeyjojo618 Wed 13 Nov 2013, 9:38 am

Its much easier to look good and powerful knocking out Euro level opposition. I remember Froch doing the same earlier in his career but his KO ratio dropped once he started on that insane run of world level fights. Groves has got practically no experience fighting world level operators, and he has chosen probably the 2nd best guy in his division to start against. Froch has got power, a granite chin and has been in with all sorts. I have seen Groves hurt a fair number of times, against far weaker opposition than Froch. I will fall out of my chair in surprise if Groves makes it to the final bell, or even half way.

joeyjojo618

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Wed 13 Nov 2013, 10:06 am

azania wrote:I've sided with Groves from Day 1 and won't change my mind. I've never been sold on Froch and believe GG has the talent to capitalise on Froch's many limitations.

But Froch is one tough mofo. Looking to seeing the fight on my laptop Very Happy 

picard picard picard picard picard picard picard 

Cant believe I'm about to say this but........(sighhhhh)

I agree with everything you just said...

vomit vomit vomit vomit 
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Wed 13 Nov 2013, 10:10 am

joeyjojo618 wrote:Its much easier to look good and powerful knocking out Euro level opposition. I remember Froch doing the same earlier in his career but his KO ratio dropped once he started on that insane run of world level fights. Groves has got practically no experience fighting world level operators, and he has chosen probably the 2nd best guy in his division to start against. Froch has got power, a granite chin and has been in with all sorts. I have seen Groves hurt a fair number of times, against far weaker opposition than Froch. I will fall out of my chair in surprise if Groves makes it to the final bell, or even half way.
The only time I can remember Groves being hurt is agaisnt Anderson, every man and his dog knows they were stupid tactics used in that fight. I can still remember Booth going mental between rounds.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Wed 13 Nov 2013, 10:33 am

Come on guys let's not derail this thread please. If you don't want to see what someone posts add them to your foe list.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Wed 13 Nov 2013, 4:27 pm

Looks like Groves has lost the 1st round of this dispute with Booth.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 13 Nov 2013, 4:29 pm

Link?

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Wed 13 Nov 2013, 4:40 pm

http://www.boxingscene.com/booth-confirms-southern-area-decision-over-groves--71599

Also one of the daily rags. Maybe The Guardian.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Wed 13 Nov 2013, 5:00 pm

If Booth ended their relationship as the article says then surely he forfeits the rights to any further earnings?

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Wed 13 Nov 2013, 5:06 pm

Yeh but booth is a snake with nipples

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed 13 Nov 2013, 5:16 pm

Imagine frochs reaction when groves wins. He will go into serious meltdown.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Nico the gman Wed 13 Nov 2013, 5:20 pm

azania wrote:Imagine frochs reaction when groves wins. He will go into serious meltdown.  
That wont be happening then.

Nico the gman

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed 13 Nov 2013, 5:22 pm

It will.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Nico the gman Wed 13 Nov 2013, 5:31 pm

azania wrote:It will.
Dream on.

Nico the gman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 13 Nov 2013, 5:32 pm

Read something today about how Froch thinks Groves has picked up the trash talk due to his association with David Haye but went on to say he thought Haye was a gentleman unlike Groves. Personally, I have to say I think that Groves and Haye, when they want to, conduct themselves admirably in interviews.

I appreicate Haye and Froch are friendly (although not to the level of Haye and Groves) but I just wonder if Froch taking pains not to offend Haye suggests that he's more than a mite concerned. After all, his "friend" David Haye is going to be supporting his opponent come fight night. Will Froch be concerned that Haye will have let Groves in on a few secrets about him?

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Wed 13 Nov 2013, 5:40 pm

Haye has probably given Groves some good tips on lines and excuses to spin if he gets beaten easily or stinks the place out.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 13 Nov 2013, 5:46 pm

Well it should be interesting to see how they match up to Froch's excuses for being beaten by Kessler and Ward...oh I forgot, he didn't lose those fights did he?

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Wed 13 Nov 2013, 5:48 pm

Another brilliant contradiction from Carl "the Contradiction" Froch by the way. David Hayes trash talk is gentlemanly but Groves isnt. Groves really needs to work on whacking his trainer over the head with cameras and engaging in public brawls before he can be considered a real gentleman I guess. Can only imagine the meltdown Froch would have gone into if Groves had spent the best part of 3 years slagging Froch and everything he had done off through the media like Haye did with Klitscho. If he cant handle a few weeks of Groves then Haye would have had him in therapy.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Wed 13 Nov 2013, 5:49 pm

hampo171 wrote:If Booth ended their relationship as the article says then surely he forfeits the rights to any further earnings?
You would think so hampo, unless its related to fees for securing the fight

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Wed 13 Nov 2013, 5:50 pm

catchweight wrote:Haye has probably given Groves some good tips on lines and excuses to spin if he gets beaten easily or stinks the place out.
Apparently halitosis George will stink the place out win or lose

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Wed 13 Nov 2013, 5:55 pm

I wonder does Groves really have serious bad breath? Is it a coincidence that it comes up time and again? He could look to do an ad for Listerine or something. "Before my fights my opponents used to tell me how bad my breath was. But since using Listerine triple xxx strength my opponents cant say enough good things about how fres my breath is."

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Wed 13 Nov 2013, 6:02 pm

I think he eats garlic as a competitive advantage, his opponents avoid the clinches helping him keep the fight at range

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed 13 Nov 2013, 6:53 pm

Nico the gman wrote:
Dream on.
One can only hope.

I reckon Froch thought Remembrance Day was about how HE fought in the trenches.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Wed 13 Nov 2013, 8:15 pm

azania wrote:
Nico the gman wrote:
Dream on.
One can only hope.

I reckon Froch thought Remembrance Day was about how HE fought in the trenches.
hahahahahahaha

That was funny. Nice one

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next