The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Froch vs Groves 2 - Sick of Groves' wind-ups

+17
Dipper Brown
Nico the gman
hogey
Izzi
Rodney
Rowley
Steffan
rycoys
CallMeBenji
Soldier_Of_Fortune
TRUSSMAN66
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
milkyboy
hampo17
Hammersmith harrier
88Chris05
SugarRayBray
21 posters

Go down

Froch vs Groves 2 - Sick of Groves' wind-ups Empty Froch vs Groves 2 - Sick of Groves' wind-ups

Post by SugarRayBray Mon 19 May 2014, 10:42 pm

What makes little sense to me is that if Groves is as utterly confident as he professes to be, why is he continuing with this quest to annoy Froch and get a reaction? If he is so convinced he can win handily why does he keep trying to gain any advantage he can and jump over Carl's so-called 'contradictions'. I mean, is it just for kicks, or does he still view it as the only method of gaining an advantage and winning? It is almost as if he is admitting a focused Froch is a dangerous one...

Anyway, his act is getting tiresome and I hope he gets put in his place.

SugarRayBray

Back to top Go down

Froch vs Groves 2 - Sick of Groves' wind-ups Empty Re: Froch vs Groves 2 - Sick of Groves' wind-ups

Post by 88Chris05 Mon 19 May 2014, 10:50 pm

Why, what's he done / said now, SRB? Have to admit I've been giving any interviews / tweets / appearances done by both Froch and Groves a wide berth in the past two or three weeks as it became clear a while ago that neither of them have anything new which could be said of their first fight and the upcoming rematch.

Agree with the consensus anyway, basically that Groves came out of the first fight (including the build up and immediate aftermath) looking the much better of the pair but in the run up to this one has probably gone some way towards eroding his fan base again. Really not sure who'll have more support at Wembley on the night, but truth be told if it's more or less 50:50 it'll just make the atmosphere all the more memorable, or at least hopefully it will.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Froch vs Groves 2 - Sick of Groves' wind-ups Empty Re: Froch vs Groves 2 - Sick of Groves' wind-ups

Post by Hammersmith harrier Mon 19 May 2014, 10:52 pm

Not watched any of the build up, the fight sells itself so all seems childish on the part of everybody whether it be Groves, Froch, the promotional team or those watching taking any notice.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Mon 19 May 2014, 10:55 pm

Haven't seen him do anything wrong personally, he's just trying to wind his opponent up which isn't exactly a new tactic. He knows it worked in the first fight so he was always going to use it again, especially after Froch admitted to seeing a sports psychologist.

Personally I'd love to see Froch's idiot brother put in his place, more than either of the two fighters. The guy is an idiot, I'm hoping Damien hits him with a chair at ringside.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayBray Mon 19 May 2014, 10:55 pm

Just things like playing with his Rubik's cube at a press conference while Froch was talking, saying that Froch keeps embarrassing himself by contradicting himself (which I'm not sure he has). The whispering in his ear prior to the push at Wembley, and the latest one: pulling Froch towards him during a handshake that ended the face-to-face with Johnny Nelson.

I agree, it all makes for a memorable atmosphere and is building it up nicely - I guess he is doing something right as he is winding me up as well!

Last edited by SugarRayBray on Mon 19 May 2014, 11:04 pm; edited 1 time in total

SugarRayBray

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayBray Mon 19 May 2014, 10:57 pm

hampo171 wrote:Haven't seen him do anything wrong personally, he's just trying to wind his opponent up which isn't exactly a new tactic. He knows it worked in the first fight so he was always going to use it again, especially after Froch admitted to seeing a sports psychologist.

Personally I'd love to see Froch's idiot brother put in his place, more than either of the two fighters. The guy is an idiot, I'm hoping Damien hits him with a chair at ringside.

I think Lee Froch has been instructed to wind Groves up. It is all getting a bit silly really.

SugarRayBray

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Mon 19 May 2014, 11:11 pm

Think lee has gone beyond his remit then... If it was just groves he was meant to be winding up

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayBray Mon 19 May 2014, 11:13 pm

milkyboy wrote:Think lee has gone beyond his remit then... If it was just groves he was meant to be winding up

Ha-ha true. But I think I am in a minority, he actually amuses me (apart from his vulgar Twitter stuff).

SugarRayBray

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Tue 20 May 2014, 1:21 am

Have to say I'm a little disappointed with Groves this time around. I seen the ad for "the gloves are off" and Froch puts his hand out to shake with Groves and Groves decides to act like a child and try to pull Froch across the table. Froch pulls Groves right back tho and makes Groves look the pleb. Really petty stuff, but would have been better if Groves had of just shown a little maturity at that point. Throw words etc yes, but when it's time to shake hands (especially given Froch's unwillingness to do so previously) then just shake hands and go back to the verbals.

The show is on next week and already I'm cringing at the thought of that hand shake part
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayBray Tue 20 May 2014, 1:24 am

Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn wrote:Have to say I'm a little disappointed with Groves this time around. I seen the ad for "the gloves are off" and Froch puts his hand out to shake with Groves and Groves decides to act like a child and try to pull Froch across the table. Froch pulls Groves right back tho and makes Groves look the pleb. Really petty stuff, but would have been better if Groves had of just shown a little maturity at that point. Throw words etc yes, but when it's time to shake hands (especially given Froch's unwillingness to do so previously) then just shake hands and go back to the verbals.

The show is on next week and already I'm cringing at the thought of that hand shake part

I totally agree. I think Groves is getting too emotionally invested this time. The handshake thing was unnecessary and immature.

SugarRayBray

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 20 May 2014, 7:30 am

I think Froch's cool demeanor has spooked Groves a little...I think Groves expected more of a reaction from the first fight and Froch's apparent quiet confidence is unsettling him..

Agree with the others that Groves looked weak and stupid spread eagled on the table...

No psychological edge this time for the kid and he seems to be trying too hard to gain one..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Tue 20 May 2014, 7:42 am

To be honest I haven't seen much of the promo recently, but I will watch the Face Off thing. Its takes alot of effort from Carl not to show emotion.

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by CallMeBenji Tue 20 May 2014, 9:29 am

https://youtu.be/_JANmg4vXSw

Here's a link to the preview if anybody hasn't seen it.

I agree with the general consensus that Groves is trying too hard to get a reaction. I personally liked Froch's response. He's played it cool so far but I think he's right to respond as he did. I think that was a desperate attempt by Groves to get under his skin and he's ended up looking like a right twonk.

CallMeBenji

Back to top Go down

Post by rycoys Tue 20 May 2014, 10:22 am

Personally think groves got the reaction he wanted . Froch is the one who sat down looking agitated and stressed with groves stood over him smiling! I don't buy in to frochs personality transplant of being
Cool and unfazed its not him and is trying to hard. He can't stand groves and as soon as groves lands jabs quicker , froch will lose he's cool.

rycoys

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 20 May 2014, 10:53 am

The look of shock on Groves face when he hit desk..

Leave it out..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Tue 20 May 2014, 11:56 am

Froch is looking easy to wind up at the moment. His useless dopey idiot of a brother Lee seemed to be getting to Groves a little bit at the start but I think now George has learned to ignore this moronic cyberbully. Carl is looking wound up and Lee is just pathetic. Think it was the other brother who told Groves to 'Get some mates'. Err...your not his mates your just a bunch of parasites living off your brothers fame (if you can call it that) and fortune. Still if it helps Froch having a team full of YES men around then each to their own. Family full of rats if you ask me

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 20 May 2014, 12:05 pm

Must be an age thing but I get proper bored with the build up to fights nowadays. Wake me up when they are in the ring. Is not so much the phony grudges promoters and fighters seem to believe we need to convince us to buy the fight but the way in which every fan seemingly becomes a Doctor of Psychology, with a specialization in body language. Every utterance is pounced on and analysed with almost forensic detail, and let’s be honest none of us who indulge in this pastime have the first clue what we are talking about.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Tue 20 May 2014, 12:28 pm

Have to agree with Jeff pre fight builds up are almost unwatchable and cringeworthy thesedays. I find the whole mind games a whole lot of cobblers in all sports, get lads in the pub saying Mourinho is a genius because of some of his comments, lets be honest someone should just turn around and say what are you talking about you're an idiot.

Cheers Rodders
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by rycoys Tue 20 May 2014, 12:29 pm

Steffan wrote:Froch is looking easy to wind up at the moment. His useless dopey idiot of a brother Lee seemed to be getting to Groves a little bit at the start but I think now George has learned to ignore this moronic cyberbully. Carl is looking wound up and Lee is just pathetic. Think it was the other brother who told Groves to 'Get some mates'. Err...your not his mates your just a bunch of parasites living off your brothers fame (if you can call it that) and fortune. Still if it helps Froch having a team full of YES men around then each to their own. Family full of rats if you ask me
couldn't. Agree more. The get some mates comment. Was by karl beard (lee froch sidekick) I tweeted him asking if he was serious with that comment and he sent an abusive tweet back , shows the kind of scum they are, even abusing groves Mrs, shame as when I met Carl he was a really nice guy.

rycoys

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Tue 20 May 2014, 1:04 pm

Froch and his entourage are acting like school bullies who are always together in a in pack and usually there is actually only one of them (in this case the Slimester Carl) who can actually handle himself. Idiots

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 20 May 2014, 1:25 pm

Maybe Rowley and Rodders are just getting old and grumpy...

Me I'm never getting old...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Tue 20 May 2014, 1:45 pm

Maybe you're right Truss, the Mrs says the exact same thing.

Cheers Rodders
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 20 May 2014, 1:58 pm

If it's any consolation your Mrs doesn't find me old and grumpy

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Izzi Tue 20 May 2014, 2:00 pm

I'll have to watch the whole thing, but it looks like Froch owned Groves. #owned. Yes, hashtag owned.

Still wondering how many times Froch is going to get nailed with the right though. And doubt it's in double figures.

Izzi

Back to top Go down

Post by Izzi Tue 20 May 2014, 2:00 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:If it's any consolation your Mrs doesn't find me old and grumpy

Too busy laughing when you drop your trousers to show any other emotion

Izzi

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 20 May 2014, 2:09 pm

Nervous laughter...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by hogey Tue 20 May 2014, 2:56 pm

Steffan wrote:Froch is looking easy to wind up at the moment. His useless dopey idiot of a brother Lee seemed to be getting to Groves a little bit at the start but I think now George has learned to ignore this moronic cyberbully. Carl is looking wound up and Lee is just pathetic. Think it was the other brother who told Groves to 'Get some mates'. Err...your not his mates your just a bunch of parasites living off your brothers fame (if you can call it that) and fortune. Still if it helps Froch having a team full of YES men around then each to their own. Family full of rats if you ask me

Agree with every word mate  thumbsup 

hogey

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Tue 20 May 2014, 3:11 pm

Izzi wrote:I'll have to watch the whole thing, but it looks like Froch owned Groves. #owned. Yes, hashtag owned.

Still wondering how many times Froch is going to get nailed with the right though. And doubt it's in double figures.

The word owned and hashtag in one post, surely deserves a ban.

Cheers Rodders
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by Nico the gman Tue 20 May 2014, 4:00 pm

To be honest I like a bit of needle before a fight,but for me it counts for nothing when they enter the ring,insults score nothing.

Froch should be too long in the tooth by now to be getting wound up by Groves but it makes good banter.I still feel Groves is trying to convince himself Froch can't win the fight rather than the other way round.

Nico the gman

Back to top Go down

Post by Dipper Brown Tue 20 May 2014, 4:30 pm

Phoney war. There was genuine needle before the first one, Froch didn't rate Groves and Groves begrudged Froch's sense of entitlement. Groves came across as more motivated and the victor of the mind games.

It all seems a bit forced to me this time, they both realise the other guy is making them millions. There's respect and appreciation there. Ignore everything else.

I'm backing Groves for this fight, nothing to do with attitude or public appearance just the fact Froch gets caught stood square and keeps his left too low. Physical attributes don't compliment his style for me and I see Groves capitalising on it in more emphatic fashion this time. UD.

Dipper Brown

Back to top Go down

Post by Dipper Brown Tue 20 May 2014, 4:32 pm

Izzi wrote:I'll have to watch the whole thing, but it looks like Froch owned Groves. #owned. Yes, hashtag owned.

The right hand Groves landed at will in the first fight? He's not going to change the habit of a lifetime overnight.

Dipper Brown

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Tue 20 May 2014, 10:43 pm

For me it comes down to whether The Cobra's still the same fighter as before the last fight. If he is, his chin will hold up and he will be able to weather the early rounds and come on later. If not, Groves might spark him inside 6 in a passing of the torch performance.

The best Froch beats Groves because his ability to eat punches and keep coming forward. If he isn't the same fighter as before, and he really shouldn't be given the Ward, Taylor, Pascal 2 x Kessler, Groves and Taylor fights, he will lose. Throw his age in the mix and it is a wonder how he can even keep up with a younger fighter with better all round attributes

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Wed 21 May 2014, 12:04 am

Sounds like a die hard froch fan getting his excuses ready seany. 'Its a miracle he's even competitive' Wink 

In addition to being outclassed by ward, he did lose to the better version of Kessler he fought, scraped past dirrell and was 15 seconds from defeat to Taylor. Now all of these guys had better boxing attributes like groves but probably didn't have better fighting attributes.

Not such a stretch to suggest that if groves handles this version of froch, he'd have handled any version. It's still an if though, don't write the obit for your warrior just yet... And a bit harsh to demean groves win if it happens by suggesting it could only happen if froch is washed up.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Dipper Brown Wed 21 May 2014, 8:16 am

Just seen the handshake. Really nothing in it, just like the Wembley push. Seriously oversold

Dipper Brown

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Wed 21 May 2014, 1:50 pm

milkyboy wrote:Sounds like a die hard froch fan getting his excuses ready seany. 'Its a miracle he's even competitive' Wink 

In addition to being outclassed by ward, he did lose to the better version of Kessler he fought, scraped past dirrell and was 15 seconds from defeat to Taylor. Now all of these guys had better boxing attributes like groves but probably didn't have better fighting attributes.

Not such a stretch to suggest that if groves handles this version of froch, he'd have handled any version. It's still an if though, don't write the obit for your warrior just yet... And a bit harsh to demean groves win if it happens by suggesting it could only happen if froch is washed up.

I am not making excuses for my boy, but it is a fact that in those fights I outlined Froch was hit with the garden sink and still stood up. I don't rate Froch's attributes as anywhere near top leavel, but his desire, stamina and ability to endure has seen him through fights. If that isn't there any more, he loses. Froch si 37 and has been in many wars. If he is shopworn he loses. I think Groves would have a shot against any version of Froch, because of his speed, footwork and power. But I do feel like a prime Froch beats Groves on endurance more than anything. Credit to Groves if he wins. I don't make excuses for my preferred fighters.

My bets will be Groves 1-6 and Froch 7-12. Let's talk after.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 21 May 2014, 1:55 pm

You aren't making excuses and yet you are...

What we going to do with you seany

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Wed 21 May 2014, 2:03 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:You aren't making excuses and yet you are...

What we going to do with you seany

I am offering reasons. Froch's age and the fact he has been in so many wars IS a contributing factor to any possible loss. Is it the only reason he would lose, no, but since when did age and wear not play a part in a fighter's decline?

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Wed 21 May 2014, 2:13 pm

Guess it depends how the fight goes. If it follows the same pattern as the first but groves rides out the trademark froch comeback... Do we say he'd never have seen off the comeback of a younger froch? Despite the fact that others did/have. Hey, its all ifs and buts.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 21 May 2014, 2:18 pm

Froch always fights the same way....I think Groves would always trouble him just as I always believe Hatton beats Kosta everytime..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Wed 21 May 2014, 2:24 pm

Groves would always trouble him, but I don't know if he would always beat him.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 21 May 2014, 2:42 pm

He hasn't so far..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Wed 21 May 2014, 3:07 pm

http://www1.skysports.com/frochgroves2/story/30693/9319962/robert-mccracken-confident-carl-froch-will-show-off-his-superior-skills-against-george-groves

Genuinely worrying if Rob actually thinks Carl is a better fighter than Groves. Also strange to note that he thinks Froch had his jab working early on in the fight...I thought it was terrible from the offset.

If the plan is to box against Groves then I think Froch is going to get taken apart.

owen10ozzy

http://aviewfrommyarmchair.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Izzi Wed 21 May 2014, 3:08 pm

Trust me when I say this, Froch is going to beat Groves and beat him up in the process.

Just can't see how Groves thinks he can

A. Fight at the same pace and not gas if he doesn't knock him out
B. Fight at a slower pace and do enough to nick rounds whilst keeping Froch off him. FMJ in defence he aight

The trenches all lead to a Froch win inside 4.

Izzi

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Wed 21 May 2014, 3:57 pm

Calzaghe on Froch/Groves, the referee, and his prediction for the rematch. Great to see Joe looking fit, well and relaxed:

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by hogey Wed 21 May 2014, 4:26 pm

Izzi wrote:Trust me when I say this, Froch is going to beat Groves and beat him up in the process.

Just can't see how Groves thinks he can

A. Fight at the same pace and not gas if he doesn't knock him out
B. Fight at a slower pace and do enough to nick rounds whilst keeping Froch off him. FMJ in defence he aight

The trenches all lead to a Froch win inside 4.

If there's an early Knockout it will be by Groves, we already know he has the power and speed to put Froch in dire trouble, this time i think he will finish him off if he has him in real trouble, that said i cant see an early finish and reckon Groves will stop him on his feet in about round 9. I have a feeling that Froch at 37 will show serious signs of decline after that beating he took in the first fight and this might be a very one sided fight with the faded veteran getting a real pasting from the younger man.

hogey

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Wed 21 May 2014, 4:29 pm

Agree with hogey, if there is an early KO it won't be Froch. He will be trying to be much more tight early ont han in first fight. Froch will be looking to come on late again. Chip away early and finish him later. Groves is the one who will have lots of speed and power early. If anybody is getting sparked inside four, it's Froch.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 21 May 2014, 4:38 pm

Groves - "Froch won't last three rounds"...Daily telegraph interview..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed 21 May 2014, 4:47 pm

Anyone tipped a controversial stoppage by Groves...maybe in the first 2 rounds ...which will lead nicely to a 3rd fight? .....
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Wed 21 May 2014, 6:56 pm

A third fight. Imagine. Couldn't be any bigger than it is now

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down