The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Froch v Groves - closer than people think.

5 posters

Go down

Froch v Groves - closer than people think. Empty Froch v Groves - closer than people think.

Post by mark_england Wed 24 Jul 2013, 5:33 pm

Pleased this fight has been made.

Had no desire to see Froch v Kessler III myself. They've both won the 1 fight each against each other, but I think Froch is definitely the better fighter, and would win a third fight, but no real desire to watch it again. In my opinion, doesn't matter where the fight is, Froch doesn't beat Ward, and it's not a great fight, Ward just spoiling his way to a win.

Then there's a domestic clash with a good up and coming prospect.

Already, Froch has been made a huge betting favorite, personally think it's going to be much closer myself. Don't think Froch will be as up for this fight as he was for the Bute/Kessler II fights, no partisan crowd roaring him on, and he is getting on a bit Froch. Also, I think stylistically Groves will cause Froch problems. Don't know if anyone watched them both on Sky Sports News, but Froch seemed very keen and insistent that Groves doesn't fight on the back foot, keeping out of range; basically saying don't fight like you did against DeGale. He also said basically the same thing DeGale did, with the whole 'let's make it a tear up for the fans'. Interesting in my opinion. Froch struggles against people fighting on the back foot, who'll jab him and keep out of range, and he knows Groves will surely fight this way as that's the only way Groves can beat him.

Don't think Froch wants the fight at all, but with the regulations and Groves becoming mandatory. He's never expressed a real desire for the fight, more talk of facing Kessler again, or re-matching Ward, and I think it's because Froch has everything to lose. If he loses, where does he go? Doubt Ward would take the fight after such a defeat, perhaps he could then go back for Kessler again, but a defeat would be damaging for him, and of course his legacy which he's trying to secure. If he wins, he's expected to. Up against someone who's never really been in with a world class fighter, and has only fought 19 times.

Looking forward to this one, gonna make a bold prediction that I think Groves wins on points.

mark_england

Back to top Go down

Froch v Groves - closer than people think. Empty Re: Froch v Groves - closer than people think.

Post by manos de piedra Wed 24 Jul 2013, 5:44 pm

I actually thought Groves would be a bigger underdog than what the bookies feel. Any misgivings Froch would have over the opponent, if he did have any, would be offset by the nice payday he will get. Maybe the biggest purse of his career? I think Hearn pushed this fight through with the IBF by having a word with them to make Groves mandatory. Too coincidental that he controls both fighters for me and stands to make big money from the fight as opposed to having to face some small name opponent that would not make ppv. I cant look past a Froch victory as it is but Im interested to see what Groves can do. I think he could have benefitted from one or two more testing fights first but hopefully he can rise to the occassion. Big ask though.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Froch v Groves - closer than people think. Empty Re: Froch v Groves - closer than people think.

Post by DynamiteChris Wed 24 Jul 2013, 5:59 pm

Don't agree that Froch doesn't want it, he doesn't need to fight Groves & could easily vacate the belt under the old going down a different road line.

I think maybe he's come to his senses a bit regarding avenging the defeat to Ward, so in his mind it's either vacate & chase Ward to get beat again, retire, or fight the up & coming Groves in a fight that not only sells well as it's a domestic clash but also very winnable.

Think Groves will try & frustrate Froch with movement & counters like he did against Degale, probably the best tactics he could use as he can't stand toe to toe with Froch.

I'd give Groves more of a chance as his style could be a nightmare for Froch but it's just the times we've seen Groves hurt & hanging on against smaller punchers than Froch, yeah he found a way to win but Froch won't let him off if hurt.

Hope I'm wrong, I like both, probably Groves more but think he'll lose

DynamiteChris

Back to top Go down

Post by tunes666 Wed 24 Jul 2013, 6:18 pm

Groves already looked a bunch of nerves on sky yesterday while chatting with Froch live..

I do think Groves has power but its easy to have power when people lead in with their chin like his last opponent did. Froch may leave him self open at times but he is still very awkward. While Groves says that Froch wont be able to take his shots all night, that would depend on how many Groves takes along the way and how willing he is to exchange him self. He was shaken by Paul Smith, knocked down twice by Anderson, and was given a few hairy moments against a 42 year old and shot to pieces Johnston... I think Groves's best chance is to do what he did against Degale (which I still think he lost) and fight on the back foot with quick counters... being very cautious.. as he is probably quicker than Froch and can maybe nick rounds, But I dont see it personally.

For me the only way I see Groves having a chance is if Froch starts to show father time which I cant see happening.

tunes666

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Wed 24 Jul 2013, 6:51 pm

I can't see this going any other way but a KO by Froch, but jump between late on and quite an early night. If I was placing a bet today, it would be on Froch to win by KO in the first six rounds. This isn't disrespecting Groves, who, if he comes through this well, will definitely have his day. This is just too soon for him and Froch is just too confident in his own ability.

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down