The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Best Album Tracks - Never made it to Single

+12
compelling and rich
kingraf
Luckless Pedestrian
Galted
JuliusHMarx
CFCNick
Mind the windows Tino.
Il Gialloblu
Stella
Rowley
superflyweight
seanmichaels
16 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

The Best Album Tracks - Never made it to Single - Page 2 Empty The Best Album Tracks - Never made it to Single

Post by seanmichaels Sun 20 Oct 2013 - 17:06

First topic message reminder :

Just a little thread about those album tracks that never made it to the wider public.

Ian Brown - Always Remember Me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6B-mVuUzlg

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

The Best Album Tracks - Never made it to Single - Page 2 Empty Re: The Best Album Tracks - Never made it to Single

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Tue 22 Oct 2013 - 9:52

seanmichaels wrote:
Rowley wrote:
seanmichaels wrote:I think Oasis squandered a lot of fairly decent album tracks / B sides early on.
Should have kept a few back to replace the guff that filled their last five albums.
I think the infatuation with the Beatles was to their detriment as a band. Using the sitar on 'Dig out your soul' was just stupid.
I think the fact they just were not good enough to adapt to a changing musical landscape was more to their detriment. I can't remember, in my lifetime anyway, a band that summed up a national 'feeling' more than Oasis. They came along when music was drifting around and filled a massive hole with their songs and attitude. The 'yoof' of the UK was just re-finding its feet and they came along to give a mainstream voice to a previously disaffected youth. They had the look, the clothes, the expanding football scene, it all fell into place for them. The first two albums were all about timing and after that, they were patchy at best. Their attempts at expanding their sound just ended up sounding either Beatleslite or just plain pretentious.

Anyway, I always wished Nivana had released 'Jesus Doesn't Want Me for a Sunbeam' from the Unplugged album.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

The Best Album Tracks - Never made it to Single - Page 2 Empty Re: The Best Album Tracks - Never made it to Single

Post by JuliusHMarx Tue 22 Oct 2013 - 9:56

Rowley wrote:Just to stop Julius crying here are some of my favourites

Waterfall – The Stone Roses
Dexy’s Midnight Runners – Let’s Make This Precious
The Jam – But I’m Different Now
Those are supposed to make me stop crying (my heart out)?
Actually, I quite like The Jam track.

The Beautiful Ones - Prince and the Revolution
Across The Border - Bruce Springsteen
Weeping Wine - Lloyd Cole
Home - Vanessa Carlton

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 22 Oct 2013 - 10:00

Do not diss Dexy's Julius. Kevin Rowland is a genius, one day others will wake up to this truth.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Tue 22 Oct 2013 - 10:05

Rowley wrote:Do not diss Dexy's Julius. Kevin Rowland is a genius, one day others will wake up to this truth.
I didn't diss them, just not overly fond of everything they did. Rowland lost me a bit with the basque and stockings/suspenders.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Tue 22 Oct 2013 - 10:26

Reykjavik's Björk forgot to release The Modern Things as a single despite just about every other song on the album Post having a pop at the charts (that's the Hit Parade, Julius).

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Tue 22 Oct 2013 - 10:40

Rowley wrote:Do not diss Dexy's Julius. Kevin Rowland is a genius, one day others will wake up to this truth.
Wasn't he in Robin Hood Prince of Thieves? 'To the treeeees!!!!!'

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 22 Oct 2013 - 10:45

No, he wasn't.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Il Gialloblu Tue 22 Oct 2013 - 11:25

seanmichaels wrote:This thread could lead to best singles not found on an album (compilations excluded). 2 for starters:

Whatever - Oasis (still there strongest track)
Stay Together - Suede

A few that immediately sprang to mind.

Flux - Bloc Party
The Masses Against the Classes - Manic Street Preachers
Somewhere Else - Razorlight (too edgy for Tino)

edit: speaking of Tino, Keane did a version of Goodbye Yellow Brick Road for a Warchild album and it was perhaps the best song they've ever recorded. Funny that, that it wasn't one of their own.
Il Gialloblu
Il Gialloblu

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Tue 22 Oct 2013 - 11:36

Il Gialloblu wrote:

edit: speaking of Tino, Keane did a version of Goodbye Yellow Brick Road for a Warchild album and it was perhaps the best song they've ever recorded. Funny that, that it wasn't one of their own.
Where is all this coming from? I don't like Razorlight, Roy Keane, Robbie Keane or the band Keane.

I would go as far to say I hate them.

I'm as edgy as they come. I have some Dizzee Rascal on my ipod.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Tue 22 Oct 2013 - 11:39

Mind the windows Tino. wrote:
Il Gialloblu wrote:

Where is all this coming from?  I don't like Razorlight, Roy Keane, Robbie Keane or the band Keane.

I'm as edgy as they come.  I have some Dizzee Rascal on my ipod.

On your best of Florence and the Machine compilation?

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by Il Gialloblu Tue 22 Oct 2013 - 11:43

Il Gialloblu wrote:

Where is all this coming from?  I don't like Razorlight, Roy Keane, Robbie Keane or the band Keane.

I'm as edgy as they come.  I have some Dizzee Rascal on my ipod.

You've got about as much edge as a satsuma.
Il Gialloblu
Il Gialloblu

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Tue 22 Oct 2013 - 11:43

seanmichaels wrote:
I actually really like a lot of their songs. What is wrong with them?

Their cover of Candi Staton's 'You Got the Love' is brilliant. 'Shake it Out', 'Rabbit Heart', 'Spectrum', 'Dog Days are Over'. They are all really good songs.

This is probably a good time to reveal that I took Mrs Windows to see them at the Cambridge Corn Exchange.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Tue 22 Oct 2013 - 11:46

Il Gialloblu wrote:
Although that is at my expense, it is rather funny.

Completely untrue, but funny.

I'm known as quite a dark, shady character amongst my circle of friends.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Tue 22 Oct 2013 - 11:50

seanmichaels wrote:
I actually really like a lot of their songs.  What is wrong with them?

Their cover of Candi Staton's 'You Got the Love' is brilliant.  'Shake it Out', 'Rabbit Heart', 'Spectrum', 'Dog Days are Over'.  They are all really good songs.

This is probably a good time to reveal that I took Mrs Windows to see them at the Cambridge Corn Exchange.
they're a bit easy listening. a modern day ace of base.....

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Tue 22 Oct 2013 - 11:52

seanmichaels wrote:
seanmichaels wrote:

Their cover of Candi Staton's 'You Got the Love' is brilliant.  'Shake it Out', 'Rabbit Heart', 'Spectrum', 'Dog Days are Over'.  They are all really good songs.

they're a bit easy listening. a modern day ace of base.....
Lazy comparison.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Tue 22 Oct 2013 - 11:53

Mind the windows Tino. wrote:I'm known as quite a dark, shady character amongst my circle of friends....
...at the local crochet club.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Il Gialloblu Tue 22 Oct 2013 - 12:01

Il Gialloblu wrote:
Although that is at my expense, it is rather funny.

Completely untrue, but funny.

I'm known as quite a dark, shady character amongst my circle of friends.

It's a Vince Noir (Mighty Boosh) line. Been waiting ages to use it.  king

I actually like Florence & the Machine too. Shake it Out (as you said), Leave My Body, Heartlines.

Bad songs are a rarity between her two albums but the ethereal production of the songs I mentioned is really, really good and those types are my favourite. Brilliant stuff actually.

Tino, give High Violet a go. By The National.  OK

And how is the new KoL record? Not got round to it yet.
Il Gialloblu
Il Gialloblu

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Tue 22 Oct 2013 - 12:07

Il Gialloblu wrote:

Tino, give High Violet a go. By The National.  OK

And how is the new KoL record? Not got round to it yet.
I shall give it a listen later.

Whisper it quietly as you'll upset Jeff but the new album is very good. It is a little closer to their earlier stuff but maybe not as close as the pre-release hype led us to believe. It is far better than Come Around Sundown, and better than Only By The Night but if anyone is expecting Youth & Young Manhood or Aha Shake Heartbreak, they will be disappointed. Sounds somewhere closer to Because of the Times with a little look back to what came before 2007.

Well worth a listen.

Not as rocking as The Feeling or McFly but I think you'll like it.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Tue 22 Oct 2013 - 12:17

Anyway, I always wished Nivana had released 'Jesus Doesn't Want Me for a Sunbeam' from the Unplugged album. .
I think the Vaselines may have originally released it as a single. But just to show I'm not always totally pretentious, the Nirvana version is much better.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Tue 22 Oct 2013 - 12:19

superflyweight wrote:
Anyway, I always wished Nivana had released 'Jesus Doesn't Want Me for a Sunbeam' from the Unplugged album. .
I think the Vaselines may have originally released it as a single.  But just to show I'm not always totally pretentious, the Nirvana version is much better.  
Didn't the Vaselines only release it after Nirvana covered it though? I could be wrong but that is what I remember.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Tue 22 Oct 2013 - 12:25

You might be right, Tina. Might have been released as a single after the Nirvana recording. The Vaselines did originally record it sometim in the late 80's if I remember correctly. Always had great song names did the Vaselines - "Rory Ride me Raw" is a particular stand out.

P.S. Jeff, I know you love my musical celebrity anecdotes so am sure you'll be delighted to learn that Frances from the Vaselines occasionally cuts my sister's hair.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Tue 22 Oct 2013 - 12:30

superflyweight wrote:You might be right, Tina.  Might have been released as a single after the Nirvana recording.  The Vaselines did originally record it sometim in the late 80's if I remember correctly.  Always had great song names did the Vaselines - "Rory Ride me Raw" is a particular stand out.  

P.S. Jeff, I know you love my musical celebrity anecdotes so am sure you'll be delighted to learn that Frances from the Vaselines occasionally cuts my sister's hair.  
I think they changed the name or something like that.  But anyway, the Nirvana version is better.

Superfly, I am 35 and also have a celebrity musical anecdote that involves hairdressers.

My wife used to get her hair cut by the sister of the drummer in Bastille.  Don't know his name though.  Her name is Claire.

She doesn't anymore as my wife has moved hairdresser.  I have dropped this musical bomb on here before but it was relatively poorly received. Hopefully piggy-backing on your anecdote will get it a bit more attention.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Il Gialloblu Tue 22 Oct 2013 - 12:33

superflyweight wrote:You might be right, Tina.  Might have been released as a single after the Nirvana recording.  The Vaselines did originally record it sometim in the late 80's if I remember correctly.  Always had great song names did the Vaselines - "Rory Ride me Raw" is a particular stand out.  

I think they changed the name or something like that.  But anyway, the Nirvana version is better.

Superfly, I am 35 and also have a celebrity musical anecdote that involves hairdressers.

My wife used to get her hair cut by the sister of the drummer in Bastille.  Don't know his name though.  Her name is Claire.

She doesn't anymore as my wife has moved hairdresser.  I have dropped this musical bomb on here before but it was relatively poorly received. Hopefully piggy-backing on your anecdote will get it a bit more attention.

Great anecdote superfly!
Il Gialloblu
Il Gialloblu

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Tue 22 Oct 2013 - 12:33

My wife used to get her hair cut by the sister of the drummer in Bastille. Don't know his name though. Her name is Claire.
My Teenage Fanclub anecdote is itching to be typed again.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Tue 22 Oct 2013 - 12:34

Never heard of Bastille. Rowley's mum's dog getting boned by one of westlife's dogs is far better.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Tue 22 Oct 2013 - 12:34

Stuff you, Gialloblu.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Tue 22 Oct 2013 - 12:35

seanmichaels wrote:Never heard of Bastille. Rowley's mum getting boned by one of westlife's dogs is far better.
Fixed it for you. The joke that never stops being funny.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 22 Oct 2013 - 12:43

Can we not discuss my 70 odd year old mum getting boned by a dog. (that is a sentence I did not ever expect to have to write on here, like good point Az)

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Tue 22 Oct 2013 - 12:48

Rowley wrote:Can we not discuss my 70 odd year old mum getting boned by a dog. (that is a sentence I did not ever expect to have to write on here, like good point Az)
I'm still desperately struggling to reconcile TSMR and her big breasts. I can't start thinking about your old Ma as well.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Tue 22 Oct 2013 - 12:50

If he hadn't been demoted he would have banned you for that comment.....

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Tue 22 Oct 2013 - 12:51

seanmichaels wrote:If he hadn't been demoted he would have banned you for that comment.....
He put it out there, not me.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 22 Oct 2013 - 12:52

Hampo won't let me Sean. I have asked.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon 28 Oct 2013 - 11:52

I bought 'Ladies and Gentlemen...' by Spiritualized but never thought much of it. Mogwai, on the other hand, are class.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon 28 Oct 2013 - 11:57

seanmichaels wrote:

Their cover of Candi Staton's 'You Got the Love' is brilliant.
It really isn't. Her singing, especially near the end, is artless. It's more shouting in tune than singing.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Mon 28 Oct 2013 - 12:54

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:I bought 'Ladies and Gentlemen...' by Spiritualized but never thought much of it. Mogwai, on the other hand, are class.
Mogwai are my current favourite band. Jeff will be delighted to know that I have yet another rock star anecdote. My brother-in-law grew up with one of the guys from Mogwai (I forget which one) and at the age of 10 both of them had to be rescued from the midst of a gang fight by my brother-in-law's mum (who goes by the name of "Big Nan").

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Mon 28 Oct 2013 - 14:27

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:
seanmichaels wrote:

Their cover of Candi Staton's 'You Got the Love' is brilliant.
It really isn't. Her singing, especially near the end, is artless. It's more shouting in tune than singing.
That's the beauty of music. You hear shouting, I hear singing.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon 28 Oct 2013 - 14:38

I don't think 'beauty' is an appropriate word to use when we're discussing Florence and the Machine. Nor is 'music'. Wink

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Mon 28 Oct 2013 - 14:44

Fair enough. Its going to be an excruciatingly dull debate with you saying they are sh*t and me saying they're not so it would probably be wiser to agree that we disagree.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon 28 Oct 2013 - 15:06

I don't mind them, really. Some of their stuff is okay. I just can't stand that cover version, or more precisely the last 20 seconds or so.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Mon 28 Oct 2013 - 19:55

Was "Turn the Lights down Low" by Bob Marley ever released? if not, it gets my vote.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Fri 8 Nov 2013 - 20:06

i love loads of oasis masterplan album which were all B sides, my favorite probably being masterplan itself, but also love half the world away and acquiesce

dont think tomorrow by james was released as a single either despite being my favourite james song

get blown away by ocean colour scene another

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Thu 14 Nov 2013 - 16:30

I can't believe Oasis didn't make Columbia from Definitely Maybe, a single. Its my favourite track on the album.

Other picks would include:

Falling to Pieces by Faith No More from The Real Thing
Before Tomorrow Comes by Alter Bridge from Blackbird
Gods of War by Def Leppard from Hysteria
Overdrive by Foo Fighters from One by One
Ain't It the Life by Foo Fighters from There Is Nothing Left To Lose
A Stroke of Luck by Garbage from Garbage
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Fri 15 Nov 2013 - 8:50

They released 'Columbia' as a white label early on, but I suppose that doesn't count. 'Shakermaker' was a rubbish choice for a single.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by MidnightToker Mon 18 Nov 2013 - 20:41

Little james from oasis standing on the shoulders of giants album was fantastic! Liam is an unbelievably underrated song writer as the current beady eye album proves

MidnightToker

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Wed 20 Nov 2013 - 10:34

was in Maplin the other day and they had Cast No Shadow playing on a pretty decent sound system. Great song that never made it to single.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 20 Nov 2013 - 10:36

MidnightToker wrote:Little james from oasis standing on the shoulders of giants album was fantastic! Liam is an unbelievably underrated song writer as the current beady eye album proves
Really hope you are being ironic with this post, if so well done. If not I am pretty much lost for words.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Wed 20 Nov 2013 - 10:36

Must agree. Lyrically Little James is a bit embarrassing.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 20 Nov 2013 - 10:39

The current Beady Eye album is amongst the worst records I have ever heard. Makes the first album sound like Exile on Main Street.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Wed 20 Nov 2013 - 10:42

First single was ok? Haven't heard much else.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 20 Nov 2013 - 10:50

Avoid it Sean, just take my word for it, it is truly terrible.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next