The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Best Album Tracks - Never made it to Single

+12
compelling and rich
kingraf
Luckless Pedestrian
Galted
JuliusHMarx
CFCNick
Mind the windows Tino.
Il Gialloblu
Stella
Rowley
superflyweight
seanmichaels
16 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

The Best Album Tracks - Never made it to Single - Page 3 Empty The Best Album Tracks - Never made it to Single

Post by seanmichaels Sun 20 Oct 2013, 5:06 pm

First topic message reminder :

Just a little thread about those album tracks that never made it to the wider public.

Ian Brown - Always Remember Me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6B-mVuUzlg

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

The Best Album Tracks - Never made it to Single - Page 3 Empty Re: The Best Album Tracks - Never made it to Single

Post by seanmichaels Wed 20 Nov 2013, 10:57 am

Heard a track from a band called San Cisco on Sunday Brunch the other day. May have to investigate further as they sounded very good.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

The Best Album Tracks - Never made it to Single - Page 3 Empty Re: The Best Album Tracks - Never made it to Single

Post by Rowley Wed 20 Nov 2013, 11:17 am

Cheers Sean, may have to give them a go. Do occasionally feel bad about how little modern music I listen to as I feel I should make more effort. However I then hear someone like Bastille and am reassured I am not missing too much.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Wed 20 Nov 2013, 11:21 am

Little James knocked a star off my rating of Standing on the Shoulder. I thought it had some decent moments aside from that with Gas Panic, Sunday Morning Call, Go Let it Out. But Little James was and is a crime against both music and humanity.

Modern stuff isn't all bad Jeff. Jake Bugg produces good stuff, Frank Turner, Arctic Monkeys, Foals, The National. All perfectly listenable stuff.

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Wed 20 Nov 2013, 11:24 am

Yeah but Jeff is desperately cool and such a hipster.

He wouldn't possibly admit to liking anything modern.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 20 Nov 2013, 11:25 am

Arctic Monkeys I could never really get on with, have tried, will give The National a go as I have heard good things about them.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 20 Nov 2013, 11:27 am

Mind the windows Tino. wrote:Yeah but Jeff is desperately cool and such a hipster.

Ha, am desperately racking my brains to think of a modern album I have bought and enjoyed, but am drawing a bit of a blank. Guess I can't claim the last Primal Scream album as modern can I?

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Wed 20 Nov 2013, 11:28 am

Mind the windows Tino. wrote:Yeah but Jeff is desperately cool and such a hipster.

I know he likes The Rifles though, and they actually started producing music in a year beginning with a 2. So he isn't all backwards.

What did you think of the new King's of Leon album Tino? I've only heard singles but I might as well give it a whirl on Spotify.

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Wed 20 Nov 2013, 11:29 am

Rowley wrote:Arctic Monkeys I could never really get on with, have tried, will give The National a go as I have heard good things about them.
The National are great. But you better like them immediately because variation in sound is definitely not their thing.

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Wed 20 Nov 2013, 11:29 am

Rowley wrote:The National a go as I have heard good things about them.
I really enjoyed High Violet on Gia's advise, but I don't think you will.

Just going on your previous posting history, they are going to be a bit flowery and maudlin for you.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 20 Nov 2013, 11:30 am

Cheers sodhat, yeah in your face Tina, I do like The Rifles.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Wed 20 Nov 2013, 11:36 am

sodhat wrote:

What did you think of the new King's of Leon album Tino? I've only heard singles but I might as well give it a whirl on Spotify.
(Ducks head to avoid Jeff's cyber fist)

It's pretty good. It doesn't look far enough back to please the modern critics but I think longstanding fans will be happier with it than Come Around Sundown. It's not Youth and Young Manhood, but its not as clinical and polished as the last couple of albums. You can definitely hear the 'older' sound coming through and I think it is a decent return to form. Temple and Family Tree are the standout tracks and wouldn't sound out of place on the first two albums.

Give it a go, mate.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 20 Nov 2013, 11:37 am

Mind the windows Tino. wrote:Just going on your previous posting history, they are going to be a bit flowery and maudlin for you.
Maudlin I can do, flowery probably less so. But never let it be said I am closed minded, will give them a go.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Wed 20 Nov 2013, 11:39 am

I liked Come Around Sundown, I thought there were some good tracks on there. They can't really return to their original sound now anyway, they are a big band and I don't think I'd turn down millions of dollars just to make another song with barely comprehensible lyrics to please the cool bunch.

The album I've been recommending to everyone is Blak and Blue by Gary Clarke Jr. It's kind of bluesy and at points its very like The Black Keys, but he's brilliant.

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Wed 20 Nov 2013, 11:43 am

sodhat wrote:I liked Come Around Sundown, I thought there were some good tracks on there. They can't really return to their original sound now anyway, they are a big band and I don't think I'd turn down millions of dollars just to make another song with barely comprehensible lyrics to please the cool bunch.

The album I've been recommending to everyone is Blak and Blue by Gary Clarke Jr. It's kind of bluesy and at points its very like The Black Keys, but he's brilliant.
I liked Come Around Sundown, but it was certainly the most polished and over-produced effort so far.

I agree they won't go back that far, but MB is definitely a nod back to the earlier days. You could almost argue they are big enough and rich enough to do what they like now in terms of their sound!

I like some of The Black Keys stuff so I will give Gary Clarke Jr a go.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Wed 20 Nov 2013, 11:47 am

Mind the windows Tino. wrote:
sodhat wrote:I liked Come Around Sundown, I thought there were some good tracks on there. They can't really return to their original sound now anyway, they are a big band and I don't think I'd turn down millions of dollars just to make another song with barely comprehensible lyrics to please the cool bunch.

I agree they won't go back that far, but MB is definitely a nod back to the earlier days.  You could almost argue they are big enough and rich enough to do what they like now in terms of their sound!  
I dunno, I can't see cider drinking, shirtless dickheads with brightly coloured paint on their faces dancing to an album full of songs like Spiral Staircase or Trani at a festival.

I may be wrong.

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Wed 20 Nov 2013, 11:55 am

Rowley wrote:
Mind the windows Tino. wrote:Just going on your previous posting history, they are going to be a bit flowery and maudlin for you.
Maudlin I can do, flowery probably less so. But never let it be said I am closed minded, will give them a go.
Did you ever like The Delays?

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 20 Nov 2013, 12:02 pm

Not sure I have ever heard them Sean, to be honest Sean do occasionally buy modern music but tend to be that underwhelmed I don't follow it too closely. Have bought stuff by The Vaccines, Bombay Bicycle Club, Jake Bugg and some others and none of it has really lit any fires for me.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Wed 20 Nov 2013, 12:09 pm

seanmichaels wrote:
Rowley wrote:
I got into them late.

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Wed 20 Nov 2013, 12:29 pm

sodhat wrote:
seanmichaels wrote:
Rowley wrote:
I got into them late.
Laugh 

That deserved more than silence, sodhat.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Wed 20 Nov 2013, 12:44 pm

Rowley wrote:Not sure I have ever heard them Sean, to be honest Sean do occasionally buy modern music but tend to be that underwhelmed I don't follow it too closely. Have bought stuff by The Vaccines, Bombay Bicycle Club, Jake Bugg and some others and none of it has really lit any fires for me.
They've been around a while. If the lead singer's balls had dropped I reckon they would have done well. Try 'Nearer Than Heaven'

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 20 Nov 2013, 1:34 pm

Where Is My Mind - The Pixies
Indie Rock and Roll - The Killers
Tell The King - The Libertines
Soma - The Strokes
Hanging Tree - Queens of the Stone Age
Bullet the Blue Sky - U2
Ball and Biscuit - White Stripes

To name a few

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Wed 20 Nov 2013, 2:20 pm

sodhat wrote:
seanmichaels wrote:
Rowley wrote:
I got into them late.
Laugh 

I appreciate your gesture. I was wondering for a moment whether including the drum roll smiley might better outline my intentions.

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Wed 20 Nov 2013, 3:43 pm

sodhat wrote:
sodhat wrote:
seanmichaels wrote:
Rowley wrote:
I got into them late.
Laugh 

I appreciate your gesture. I was wondering for a moment whether including the drum roll smiley might better outline my intentions.
Nah, smilies are the calling card of the cretin Laugh 
thumbsup

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Wed 20 Nov 2013, 3:47 pm

sodhat wrote:
sodhat wrote:
seanmichaels wrote:
Rowley wrote:
I got into them late.
Laugh 

Nah, smilies are the calling card of the cretin Laugh 
thumbsup
Similes are like the calling card of the cretin.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Wed 20 Nov 2013, 3:48 pm

Carol Smillie is a cretin.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Il Gialloblu Wed 20 Nov 2013, 4:10 pm

I recently did a class on similes. Nightmare. Kids asking why it's 'gentle as a lamb' and 'weak as a kitten' when lambs are weak and kittens are gentle. I got about halfway through before realising it was all futile anyway as every single one, without fail, could be replaced with 'as f*ck'.

Never doing that class again. Not after their parents' reaction.

btw. I really hope Rowley likes The National. It'll be like some validation for my musical taste, knowing how hard to please the cantankerous old swine is.
Il Gialloblu
Il Gialloblu

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 20 Nov 2013, 4:12 pm

Il am glad someone puts so much stock into the opinions of a dour miserablist like myself, to be honest am going to lie and pretend to like them irrespective now.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Wed 20 Nov 2013, 4:13 pm

Il Gialloblu wrote:
I really hope Rowley likes The National. It'll be like some validation for my musical taste, knowing how hard to please the cantankerous old swine is.
He won't admit it even if he does. Too modern.

Although, he does like you whereas he and I hate each other so you might get some grudging acceptance.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 20 Nov 2013, 4:21 pm

I genuinely would admit it if I liked them. I know you don’t believe me Tina but I don’t just do it to be contrary or achingly cool I just don’t hear too much I like at the minute. Mate was raving about Bastille the other day, so I made a point of listening to them, I thought it was a wind up they were that bad.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Wed 20 Nov 2013, 4:24 pm

Rowley wrote:Mate was raving about Bastille the other day, so I made a point of listening to them, I thought it was a wind up they were that bad.
Tina wrote: My wife used to get her hair cut by the sister of the drummer in Bastille.  Don't know his name though.  Her name is Claire.
That's my earlier Bastille anecdote.  Sure you'll agree its a zinger.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 20 Nov 2013, 4:27 pm

It is undoubtedly one of the top three music related anecdotes ever shared on here Tina but is still not enough to allow me to ignore how awful they are.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Wed 20 Nov 2013, 4:31 pm

Rowley wrote:It is undoubtedly one of the top three music related anecdotes ever shared on here Tina but is still not enough to allow me to ignore how awful they are.
My old neighbour was in a band. Their keyboardist left to join a tinker outfit called Mumford and Sons.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Wed 20 Nov 2013, 4:35 pm

Rowley wrote:I don’t just do it to be...achingly cool
Well, no, clearly not.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 20 Nov 2013, 4:37 pm

JuliusHMarx wrote:
Well, no, clearly not.
Well said Julius, believe me as a fat bearded boxing geek from Rotherham the accusations of cool come as a huge shock to me.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Wed 20 Nov 2013, 4:44 pm

I think we're also past the upper age limit for being cool. The best we can hope for is 'acceptable'.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Wed 20 Nov 2013, 4:48 pm

Rowley wrote:
JuliusHMarx wrote:
Well, no, clearly not.
Well said Julius, believe me as a fat bearded boxing geek from Rotherham the accusations of cool come as a huge shock to me.
Even when you bleached your beard?

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 20 Nov 2013, 4:51 pm

I was a lot younger then Sean, would like to believe I have the wisdom now to realise how dumb an idea it is, but I suspect I wouldn't.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MidnightToker Wed 20 Nov 2013, 8:15 pm

Rowley wrote:
MidnightToker wrote:Little james from oasis standing on the shoulders of giants album was fantastic! Liam is an unbelievably underrated song writer as the current beady eye album proves
Really hope you are being ironic with this post, if so well done. If not I am pretty much lost for words.
More sarcasm than irony, sorry.

I'm a huge oasis fan but that album, and liam without noel are shocking.

Was a big fan of the semisonic album feeling strangely fine. Was a few years ago but can't remember a bad song on it. This will be my year was a standout and pretty sure it was never a single. The follow up to it, chemisty, was in the same league as little james

MidnightToker

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Wed 20 Nov 2013, 8:18 pm

always been firmly a noel fan in voice and obviously song writing. perhaps why i like the masterplan album so much is because there's a lot more noel songs on there

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by MidnightToker Wed 20 Nov 2013, 8:41 pm

The masterplan was amazing like. It was mentioned earlier oasis should've saved a few of them for later and it's hard to disagree with that.

If you're a big noel fan, check out heart of a star, solve my mystery and a few more hidden gems i forget the name of on youtube. Also a song called fame, 'i'm a man of choice in an old rolls royce and i'm howlin at the moon' sheer class

MidnightToker

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu 21 Nov 2013, 9:04 am

Realise you have all been on tenterhooks to find out so am happy to confirm I quite like The National. Downloaded three of their albums last night and listened to a bit of Boxer last night and High Violet on the way to work today and quite enjoyed them both. Singer has a sound of Nick Cave about him which is no bad thing and there sound is quite interesting and dark.

Can sometimes get a bit bored with bands that are constantly slow and maudlin like Elbow unless they add a bit of colour and shade to things and The National do this so is all good for me.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu 21 Nov 2013, 9:07 am

Did you listen to Velvet Crush in the end?

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu 21 Nov 2013, 9:09 am

I did mate, think they are probably not as good as you remember them to be, but they are not bad enough to have seen you have to be banned, although since the demotion I am not sure I would be allowed to ban you even if I wanted to.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu 21 Nov 2013, 9:11 am

It wouldn't surprise me if they weren't as good as I remember. I'll refund you half the download cost if you want!

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu 21 Nov 2013, 9:13 am

Given the position I have to maintain re streaming on the boxing board I cannot say too much about the cost of the download but suffice to say don't worry about it.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Thu 21 Nov 2013, 9:15 am

By which you mean you pay a £10 fee to Spotify each month to listen to all the music you want all above board.

Gotcha.

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu 21 Nov 2013, 9:18 am

That will do sodhat, that is exactly what I mean.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Thu 21 Nov 2013, 9:21 am

To actually address the topic, I'd add a song called Philadelphia by We Are Augustines, from their first (and only?) album.

That was never released as a single but I don't think anyone would have noticed if it was anyway. But still, they are an excellent band that I recommend to anyone.

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu 21 Nov 2013, 9:26 am

Was 'Moonlight Drive' by the Doors released as a single?

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Thu 21 Nov 2013, 11:48 am

Rowley wrote:I was a lot younger then Sean, would like to believe I have the wisdom now to realise how dumb an idea it is, but I suspect I wouldn't.
Yet you're getting your first tattoo at the age of 40?

Not sure wisdom has quite caught up with you yet, Jeff.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next