The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Best Album Tracks - Never made it to Single

+12
compelling and rich
kingraf
Luckless Pedestrian
Galted
JuliusHMarx
CFCNick
Mind the windows Tino.
Il Gialloblu
Stella
Rowley
superflyweight
seanmichaels
16 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

The Best Album Tracks - Never made it to Single Empty The Best Album Tracks - Never made it to Single

Post by seanmichaels Sun 20 Oct - 17:06

Just a little thread about those album tracks that never made it to the wider public.

Ian Brown - Always Remember Me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6B-mVuUzlg

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

The Best Album Tracks - Never made it to Single Empty Re: The Best Album Tracks - Never made it to Single

Post by superflyweight Mon 21 Oct - 7:39

On an Ian Brown related theme:

Don't Stop - The Stone Roses
Tightrope - The Stone Roses

The bands I like don't release all that many singles so there's almost whole albums of Spiritualized or Mogwai stuff that I could list.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

The Best Album Tracks - Never made it to Single Empty Re: The Best Album Tracks - Never made it to Single

Post by Rowley Mon 21 Oct - 10:56

You're a Spiritualized fan superfly. Tina is dead to me, you are now officially my favourite poster on here. Always loved Waterfall which was not properly released as a single until silvertone started milking the roses back catalogue to death.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Mon 21 Oct - 12:51

Radiohead - Sulk
Radiohead - Let Down
Radiohead - Nice Dream
Radiohead - The Tourist
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Mon 21 Oct - 13:26

Rowley wrote:You're a Spiritualized fan superfly. Tina is dead to me, you are now officially my favourite poster on here. Always loved Waterfall which was not properly released as a single until silvertone started milking the roses back catalogue to death.
Huge fan, Jeff - almost unsettling how much I love them! Almost bought the £80 version of Ladies & Gentleman... when it came out and have regretted not doing so ever since. Each song came on its own disc inside a huge blister pack that made the whole think look like a giant pack of paracetamol. I wouldn't ever have opened it and only very close friends would have been allowed to look at it.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon 21 Oct - 13:32

You should have gone for it supefly. I balked at buying the £100 special edition of the Roses album released for the 20th anniversary and have regretted it since. TSMR only let me buy the £30 one, she seemed to think I already had two versions of the album as reason not to spend a ton on a new one.

Ladies and Gentlemen is a brilliant album though, definitely their finest hour in my humble opinion.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Mon 21 Oct - 13:38

Women are crazy, Jeff.

Ladies and Gentleman is probably the strongest of the studio albums (although Laser Guided Melodies pushes it close), but Live at the Albert Hall is the best thing they've ever recorded - the bit after the feedback intro where it kicks into Shine a Light still gives me an eargasm after all these years and that live version of Shine a Light is spectacularly good!

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon 21 Oct - 13:42

Have not got that one superfly as I don't normally enjoy live albums. However based on your recommendation it will be ordered tonight. Don't care for the term eargasm though.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Il Gialloblu Mon 21 Oct - 13:46

Conversely, I don't own any Spiritualized albums but did buy one of their singles (Stop Your Crying).

Should give the albums mentioned above a spin really.
Il Gialloblu
Il Gialloblu

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon 21 Oct - 13:49

You will not regret it Il, Ladies and Gentlemen is a great place to start. I also enjoyed songs in A&E enormously. Got to be honest I was a bit of a late convert to them but they are brilliant.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Il Gialloblu Mon 21 Oct - 14:03

Streaming it now. Will give a verdict in an hour so, I guess.

Back on topic (for half a sentence), I think all the album tracks from High Violet by The National were great, whichever ones they were, and if anyone hasn't heard that album they should give it a go.  OK
Il Gialloblu
Il Gialloblu

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Mon 21 Oct - 14:05

Don't think you'll regret the live album purchase, Jeff. I think I'm in love is almost worth the cost of the album alone.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Mon 21 Oct - 14:07

Do you and Jeff want to get a room or something.

This is all making me feel quite ill.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon 21 Oct - 14:19

Now, now Tina when you grow up a little you may grow out of listening to Kings of Leon and begin to appreciate the likes of Spiritualized, at that point you can join in the grown ups conversations.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Mon 21 Oct - 14:21

Always thought Velvet Morning was the best song on The Verve's Urban Hymns album.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Mon 21 Oct - 14:22

Rowley wrote:Now, now Tina when you grow up a little you may grow out of listening to Kings of Leon and begin to appreciate the likes of Spiritualized, at that point you can join in the grown ups conversations.
Tina strikes as a Razorlight / Toploader / Keane type when it comes to music.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Mon 21 Oct - 14:23

Rowley wrote:Now, now Tina when you grow up a little you may grow out of listening to Kings of Leon and begin to appreciate the likes of Spiritualized, at that point you can join in the grown ups conversations.
Their new album is very good. You'd like it, sounds a bit more like their old stuff.

Would fit with your desperately cool image.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon 21 Oct - 14:23

seanmichaels wrote:
Harsh but fair Sean. Would guess there is a Coldplay album or two in the collection as well.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Mon 21 Oct - 14:25

Neither Jeff nor I are going to pay for a room. Will have be a quick fumble in a bus stop.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Mon 21 Oct - 14:27

Rowley wrote:
seanmichaels wrote:
Harsh but fair Sean. Would guess there is a Coldplay album or two in the collection as well.
Not that I watched IT or owt, but I see the fat lad from Keane isn't that fat anymore.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by Il Gialloblu Mon 21 Oct - 14:27

I think Razorlight would be too edgy for Tino.

Toploader and Keane though, I can see. And The Feeling.
Il Gialloblu
Il Gialloblu

Back to top Go down

Post by CFCNick Mon 21 Oct - 14:28

The Black Keys - Stack Shot Billy, Midnight In Her Eyes, Goodbye Babylon, Run Right Back, Nova Baby

CFCNick

http://pucksandpitchforks.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Mon 21 Oct - 14:29

seanmichaels wrote:
Rowley wrote:
seanmichaels wrote:
Not that I watched IT or owt, but I see the fat lad from Keane isn't that fat anymore.
He is quite slim now. Stupid haircut though.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon 21 Oct - 14:31

Mind the windows Tino. wrote:
Their new album is very good.  You'd like it, sounds a bit more like their old stuff.

Be sensible Tina, they are far too popular now for me to ever acknowledge liking.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Mon 21 Oct - 14:32

Il Gialloblu wrote:I think Razorlight would be too edgy for Tino.

The Feeling are truly terrible. A mate is a member at Shoreditch House private members club in London. Apparently The Feeling have a regular slot there which, along with the probable vast amount of bell ends, is a good enough reason to turn down the invitations I keep receiving to go there.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Mon 21 Oct - 14:35

Rowley wrote:
Their new album is very good.  You'd like it, sounds a bit more like their old stuff.

Be sensible Tina, they are far too popular now for me to ever acknowledge liking.
Back to the point, I actually like Spiritualized, it was the more the twin forumgasm you and the mad jock were having that made me ill.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon 21 Oct - 14:38

seanmichaels wrote:
Il Gialloblu wrote:I think Razorlight would be too edgy for Tino.

The Feeling are truly terrible. A mate is a member at Shoreditch House private members club in London. Apparently The Feeling have a regular slot there which, along with the probable vast amount of bell ends, is a good enough reason to turn down the invitations I keep receiving to go there.
I have seen them live Sean, twice! Absolutely god awful in ways I had previously not imagined possible.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Mon 21 Oct - 14:45

Mad Jock?
Mad?
Jock?
Mad Jock?

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Mon 21 Oct - 14:47

superflyweight wrote:Mad Jock?
Mad?
Jock?
Mad Jock?
If its any consolation, I thought your rabbit and beaver post was one of the best ever. Even if, like seany, I spent a considerable amount of time looking for the incident you described.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Mon 21 Oct - 14:49

The vindication has moistened my loins!

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Mon 21 Oct - 14:50

That was funny. As was the snow hampton on the police car.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Mon 21 Oct - 14:57

I was going to post a good album track, but I appear to be on the wrong thread for that.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Il Gialloblu Mon 21 Oct - 15:24

Il Gialloblu wrote:Streaming it now. Will give a verdict in an hour so, I guess.

Finished. Honestly, there was far more crap than I expected. Just noise. When the song could've finished a few minutes ago but they're still making noise.

I liked the orchestral ones. Cool Waves was good, Broken Heart was really, really good. I couldn't get through 17 minutes of Cop Shoot Cop though. No chance.
Il Gialloblu
Il Gialloblu

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Mon 21 Oct - 15:37

Il Gialloblu wrote:
Il Gialloblu wrote:Streaming it now. Will give a verdict in an hour so, I guess.

Finished. Honestly, there was far more crap than I expected. Just noise. When the song could've finished a few minutes ago but they're still making noise.

I liked the orchestral ones. Cool Waves was good, Broken Heart was really, really good. I couldn't get through 17 minutes of Cop Shoot Cop though. No chance.
I always thought spirtualized were a bit pretentious.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon 21 Oct - 15:39

You're both entitled to your opinion. You are wrong obviously but still entitled to them.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Mon 21 Oct - 15:43

Rowley wrote:You're both entitled to your opinion. You are wrong obviously but still entitled to them.
Richard Ashcroft was tapping the keyboardist wasn't he?

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Mon 21 Oct - 15:51

Yep - and is now married to her. Ladies and Gentleman is essentially a post break up love letter to her.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Tue 22 Oct - 7:54

Rowley wrote:Tina is dead to me
Shocked 

Only just picked up on this. What a spiteful thing to say, Jeffrey.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 22 Oct - 8:56

Try to look on the bright side Tina, the post does allude to the fact you may have been my favourite poster on here before Superfly nicked in at the last minute. Just try to raise your game a bit.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Tue 22 Oct - 8:59

Rowley wrote:Try to look on the bright side Tina, the post does allude to the fact you may have been my favourite poster on here before Superfly nicked in at the last minute. Just try to raise your game a bit.
I'll do my best.

Likewise though, if you raise your game substantially, you might overtake Truss as my favourite.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 22 Oct - 9:03

I am just to crushing disappointment so do not feel any great need to improve. As long as I am above Az I am happy.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Tue 22 Oct - 9:04

My favourite album track is "This Thread Got Hijiacked" by The Posters

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Tue 22 Oct - 9:06

JuliusHMarx wrote:My favourite album track is "This Thread Got Hijiacked" by The Posters
What is the matter with you, Julius.

You've been more miserable than usual recently.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Tue 22 Oct - 9:07

JuliusHMarx wrote:My favourite album track is "This Thread Got Hijiacked" by The Posters
Just googled it and nothing. There's a lot of make believe jiggery pokery on these general discussion threads. I'm beginning to wonder whether Homeland actually exists.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 22 Oct - 9:13

Just to stop Julius crying here are some of my favourites

Waterfall – The Stone Roses
Dexy’s Midnight Runners – Let’s Make This Precious
The Jam – But I’m Different Now

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Tue 22 Oct - 9:19

I think Oasis squandered a lot of fairly decent album tracks / B sides early on.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 22 Oct - 9:20

seanmichaels wrote:I think Oasis squandered a lot of fairly decent album tracks / B sides early on.
Should have kept a few back to replace the guff that filled their last five albums.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Tue 22 Oct - 9:20

This thread could lead to best singles not found on an album (compilations excluded). 2 for starters:

Whatever - Oasis (still there strongest track)
Stay Together - Suede

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Tue 22 Oct - 9:23

Rowley wrote:
seanmichaels wrote:I think Oasis squandered a lot of fairly decent album tracks / B sides early on.
Should have kept a few back to replace the guff that filled their last five albums.
I think the infatuation with the Beatles was to their detriment as a band. Using the sitar on 'Dig out your soul' was just stupid.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Tue 22 Oct - 9:51

What is the matter with you, Julius.

You've been more miserable than usual recently.
I was happy in the haze of a drunken hour.....

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next