The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Newcastle United Thread 2015/16

+28
Lowlandbrit
dyrewolfe
newballs
super_realist
Azzy
Mackem
Roller_Coaster
Duty281
TopoftheChops
Ent
hampo17
Dolphin Ziggler
Fernando
TRUSSMAN66
The Fourth Lion
guildfordbat
Geordie
Driver
sodhat
Sam
rIck_dAgless
Soldier_Of_Fortune
CFCNick
westisbest
Crimey
Lumbering_Jack
MIG
Good Golly I'm Olly
32 posters

Page 10 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Go down

Newcastle United Thread 2015/16 - Page 10 Empty Newcastle United Thread 2015/16

Post by Geordie Wed 26 Jun 2013, 14:30

First topic message reminder :

Manager / Head Coach - Steve McClaren
Assistant coach - Paul Simpson
Assistant coach - Ian Cathro
Psychology / Fitness / Motivation: Steve Black
Fitness Coach - Alessandro Schonemaker

Current Squad
(A) - Promoted from the academy, playing reserves but eligible for 1st XV

GK's:
T.Krul, R.Elliott, Karl Darlow 
Brendan Pearson (A) , Freddie Woodman (A), P. Woolston (A),

Defenders:
C. Mbemba, F.Coloccini, Jamaal Lascelles, S.Taylor, P.Dummett, M.Haidara, Daryl Janmaat, C.Good
J. Sterry (A), M. Gilhesphey (A), K.Mbabu (A), L.Satka (A), L. Gibson (A), K Cameron (A), J. Cobain (A), A.Laidler (A), C.Williams (A), L. Suddick (A),

Midfielders:
G. Wijnaldum, C.Tiote, M.Sissoko, V.Anita, J.Colback, G.Bigirmana, S De Jong, S.Ferguson, R. Aarons
D. Barlaser (A), L.Smith (A), D. Ward (A), O. Kemen (A)

Forwards:
A. Mitrovic, P.Cisse, Y.Gouffran, A. Armstrong,  A.Perez, S.Ameobi, E.Riviere, I.Toney
C. Roberts (A), T. Heardman (A), A. Gilliead (A),

Last edited by GeordieFalcon on Thu 05 May 2016, 14:27; edited 20 times in total

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Newcastle United Thread 2015/16 - Page 10 Empty Re: Newcastle United Thread 2015/16

Post by dyrewolfe Mon 04 Apr 2016, 15:43

Also depends what those guys are being paid and whether potential buyers would be prepared to take on those wages.

See some of my predictions have been blown out of the water already...and not in a good way for the Toon.
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Newcastle United Thread 2015/16 - Page 10 Empty Re: Newcastle United Thread 2015/16

Post by Guest Wed 06 Apr 2016, 11:41

Dolphin Ziggler wrote:I could genuinely see people in for Krul, Perez, Mitrovic and Aarons. Wonder whether Townsend or Shelvey had anything to do with relegation clauses in their contracts. If anyone offers what you paid I'm sure it'd be considered.

Are Rivière, Taylor and Obertan still under contract next year? Those are three players who will be short of suitors.

Can't see anyone taking Krul, following the injury, plus with Eliott out for a year, we will be left with just Darlow. Although, I guess we could pick up any kind of new keepers, possibly Rob Green. Agree about Mitrovic & Perez, think there will be interest, although can see them staying after poor seasons & I'm not sure why Ayoze would want to join someone like Spurs & end up sitting on the bench, whereas a season in the championship, would do wonders for his development. I would expect Ashley will prioritise the sales of Wijnaldum, Sissoko & Janmaat, before we even listen to offers for the aforementioned. I would expect Shelvey & Townsend will have relegation or release clauses, although I doubt anyone will be offering anywhere near £12m for either of them. If they don't have clauses, fully expect both to stay, given how little time they've spent at the club & the first team football that we can guarantee them now, especially Townsend.

As for contracts expiring this summer, they include - Steven Taylor, Sylvain Marveaux, Gabriel Obertan, Roland Aarons & of course, Seydou Doumbia.

Back to top Go down

Post by Azzy Wed 06 Apr 2016, 12:49

I had entirely forgotten Doumbia was there. Has he even played yet?

Azzy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 06 Apr 2016, 13:36

I can remember he got five minutes against Leicester. McClaren didn't want Doumbia or Saivet, but Graham Carr did.

In other news, Newcastle United have announced a post-tax profit of £32.4m for the financial year ending June 30, 2015 - a significant rise on the £18.7m figure for 2014. Well, isn't that fantastic.

Back to top Go down

Post by Azzy Wed 06 Apr 2016, 14:04

That is such a disgrace John. The fat get needs to be locked up for the way he treats his businesses.

Azzy

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Wed 06 Apr 2016, 15:16

Although you can't exactly blame him this year. Hand has gone in pocket in both windows, he's got in the former Real Madrid manager and has bought a few English players too.

Unfortunately for him he brought in Schteve, and whilst Schteve can coach, it appears he cannot do any sort of management when the going gets tough.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 06 Apr 2016, 16:05

Agree, money has been there, unfortunately he appointed a clown of a manager last summer, appointed a clueless MD & kept faith with a clearly inept scout, who to this day, is still living off the capture of Yohan Cabaye.

Back to top Go down

Post by Azzy Wed 06 Apr 2016, 16:20

I'm surprised the French league has any players left with the amount of players you've signed from there. And the one who could have made a difference, Payet, went to West Ham and put himself in player of the season contention. Genius.

Azzy

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Wed 06 Apr 2016, 22:25

Dont know how you feel about David Marshall john, but as far as keepers go wouldnt mind having him at Villa next season.

Probably the best keeper in the championship.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu 07 Apr 2016, 10:30

John, we still owe Ashley his loan back though! Wink
Despite years of free marketing etc for his company.

We have some good keepers at the club. Darlow is a good one and young Woodman looks very good.

Get rid of most of the foreigners, bring in some British steel and passion.

Id actually like to keep Mitrovic. I think he's shown in the last few games he could have something. Alongside young Armstrong and a season in championship could toughen him up a bit. He could become a very good powerful forward.

We need some defenders. Work with Lacelles and Mbemba.

What do we have coming through the academy? Surely we have to start producing something.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Mon 11 Apr 2016, 11:41

The fat lady is now well and truly singing.

We aredown, and going to have no money to spend, and having to get rid of that sack of sh1t squad. Who would want to buy any of them.

Passionless, unskilled waste of times.

Mid table championship mediocrity!

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Mon 11 Apr 2016, 12:15

GeordieFalcon wrote:The fat lady is now well and truly singing.

We aredown, and going to have no money to spend, and having to get rid of that sack of sh1t squad. Who would want to buy any of them.

Passionless, unskilled waste of times.

Mid table championship mediocrity!

You'll get parachute payments for the next 3-4 seasons. Of course a big factor will be how quickly you can offload the players you don't want to keep.

With some decent scouting its not that hard to find good players for reasonable fees and wages.

Thats pretty much what we did when we got relegated in 2009. Got rid of the big earners and replaced them with cheaper overseas / lower league players, as well as free and loan signings. If you're prepared to wheel and deal a bit, you can put together a pretty decent squad.

Biggest trick is keeping morale and motivation going...particularly when the fixtures get congested and the injuries start piling up.

Cheer up - its not the end of the world! At least you should be able to look forward to winning more games than you lose. Wink
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Mon 11 Apr 2016, 13:55

But how much will Ashley put back in ...that's the question.

We need to get rid of half the squad and bring in some passionate british players. A bit of steel is whats needed.

And a decent manager.

I just wish Ashley would go, but sadly that's not likely to happen.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Mon 11 Apr 2016, 14:04

I would say (ignoring the academy lads):

GK's: -
T.Krul, R.Elliott, Karl Darlow
Brendan Pearson (A) , Freddie Woodman (A), P. Woolston (A),
Maybe sell Krul if we get some decent offers. Cash in on him.
Elliott, Darlow and Woodman give us very good options.

Defenders:
C. Mbemba, F.Coloccini, Jamaal Lascelles, S.Taylor, P.Dummett, M.Haidara, Daryl Janmaat, C.Good
J. Sterry (A), M. Gilhesphey (A), K.Mbabu (A), L.Satka (A), L. Gibson (A), K Cameron (A), J. Cobain (A), A.Laidler (A), C.Williams (A), L. Suddick (A),
I'd keep Laschelles, and Mbemba (but he needs some serious work). The rest can all go and be replaced. We can find better in the local Sunday league teams!!

Midfielders:
G. Wijnaldum, C.Tiote, M.Sissoko, V.Anita, J.Colback, G.Bigirmana, S.Marveaux,  S De Jong, S.Ferguson, R. Aarons
D. Barlaser (A), L.Smith (A), D. Ward (A), O. Kemen (A)
Keep Colback and Aarons (if he wants to stay) and replace all the rest.

Forwards:
A. Mitrovic, P.Cisse, Y.Gouffran, A. Armstrong,  A.Perez, S.Ameobi, E.Riviere, I.Toney (A)
C. Roberts (A), T. Heardman (A), A. Gilliead (A),
Keep Mitrovic and Armstrong as the strike force for next season. And id have Mitrovic doing some boxing sessions to toughen him up a bit!

Theres some serious work to do there! We need a manager in quick to source the right players and get them training quick!

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Mon 11 Apr 2016, 15:22

Yeah - have to admit I just don't understand Ashley at all. You suppose he is more interested in Rangers now they're back in the SPL?

We're lucky in that we have a chairman who is also a lifelong fan and has supported the club through thick and thin. He's not the richest guy out there, but he puts in what he can.

Also, after a succession of dodgy managerial appointments we finally seem to have struck gold with Karanka. Still has a lot to learn, but he's done brilliantly for his first managerial job.

Its a shame you won't be able to keep Benitez. With time I think he'd get a good squad together and get you promoted...but I guess the Championship is rather beneath him.
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue 12 Apr 2016, 08:39

Its irrelevant who we have as manager with Ashley as chairman.

All I can think of is a really ambitious talented young british manager from the lower division who can come in and show his ability in a difficult environment as a stepping stone for bigger things.

Theres no way we will attract any top quality managers, so that's the only route I can see being any good.

And bring in some British steel on the pitch aswell.

For the rest of the season id be tempted to put the academy team out....at least they would show 1000% passion and work their backsides off unlike the sack of dross in the 1st team!

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Tue 12 Apr 2016, 10:17

According to a recent leak Shelvey is earning £80k a week, £3k more than Neymars basic salary. I really hope that isn't true, because who ever gave Shelvey £80k a week needs their head looking at.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 12 Apr 2016, 10:38

£80k a week in PL terms is pretty basic, given the upcoming TV deal. Newcastle were in a desperate position, attempting to lure a player away from a relegation rival, in a worse position. It was inevitable we would end up paying higher wages, this is not a surprise whatsoever.

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Tue 12 Apr 2016, 13:12

Having flashbacks to when we did something similar, forking out big fees and wages for Alves and Tuncay shortly before we went down... Shocked
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed 13 Apr 2016, 08:13

So John

We probably all agree who should go...any players you think we should be looking at for the championship next season to turn things around?

I think we should work on Mitrovic and Armstrong up front.

Who would you sign for the rest? Surely got to be some defenders/

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 13 Apr 2016, 08:32

We don't have an 'R' by our name yet, so we still need to wait & see what happens.

Agree on Mitrovic & Armstrong potentially being a good partnership. As of right now, naming possible new signings is hard to do, given the uncertainty, but I would imagine Lewis Dunk, if Brighton are not promoted, would be near the top of the list, seeing as we've been linked with him for two seasons.

Also looks like Steven Taylor has been told that he won't be playing again for the club by Rafa, which is not surprising.

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed 20 Apr 2016, 10:43

Last nights performance just highlights what a good manager can do v a poor manager!

I still don't see us staying up, but I really hope Rafa decides to take his on permanently as a project.

Interesting...apparently Laschelles has been exceptionally vocal telling senior players exactly what he thinks. Future Captain?

Him an Mbemba played well together - Rafa is giving them more structure and they seem much more comfortable with it.

Again shows what a good manager can do!

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 20 Apr 2016, 10:57

McClaren should of gone at Xmas, but they didn't have the balls to remove him. Agree, Rafa is slowly turning it around, the effort & character shown has been very pleasing, but to me, it looks a little too late.

Lascelles has been superb & Anita was exceptional last night. The rest are working hard, but we still lack the quality, as I think City were there for the taking really last night. Hopefully Liverpool lose tonight & then focus all their energy on Villarreal next Thursday. Still think Sunderland will pip us to 17th, unfortunately. We had to win the Derby game & I think that will come back to haunt us.

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed 20 Apr 2016, 11:34

Yeah, I think we will still go down.

Do you think Rafa will stay on and rebuild this. Surely its got to be appealing. A big club, huge support and stadium. So long as he has full control over transfers.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Sat 30 Apr 2016, 17:03

Wel ill take that 3 points.

Lucky Lucky sunderland!!! Last minute draw.

Norwihc v Arsenal is going to be interesting.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Sat 30 Apr 2016, 19:27

You have the easiest fixture next week.

If it wasn't against Villa I would wish you luck.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 30 Apr 2016, 21:20

Huge 3 pts today

Townsend has been sensational for us in the past month, the free-kick was sublime. Don't see a more in-form winger in the country for England at the minute.

As for Rafa, he's done a fantastic job, I just wish he came in a couple of months earlier. As for Villa next week, nothing is guaranteed, we haven't won an away game since December.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 05 May 2016, 14:09

Obertan & Marveaux released Laugh

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu 05 May 2016, 14:24

Yeah I saw that John, has the clear out began....?

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu 05 May 2016, 14:29

And id move these on aswell....

GK's:
T.Krul - If we get a nice fee...

Defenders:
F.Coloccini, S.Taylor, Daryl Janmaat,

Midfielders:
M.Sissoko, G.Bigirmana, S De Jong,

Forwards:
P.Cisse, Y.Gouffran, E.Riviere,

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Driver Thu 05 May 2016, 17:42

I wouldn't move Krul on at all. Despite Elliot and Darlow's good performances of late, Krul when fit is still our undisputed number 1 for me.
Driver
Driver

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 07 May 2016, 16:56

That's us relegated, folks

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Mon 09 May 2016, 14:08

Yeah down and out.
Goodbye Premiership ....and it could be a while till we get back up.

Unless Rafa decides to stay...which im not sure he will.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 09 May 2016, 15:29

squad will look like this to me, after the summer exodus

------------------------DARLOW/KRUL------------------------
----ANITA-----LASCELLES--------MBEMBA-----DUMMETT----
---------------------COLBACK----SHELVEY---------------------
----???????---------------------------------------AARONS------
----------------ARMSTRONG---------MITROVIC--------------

Probably then sign two genuine full backs to challenge Anita & Dummett. The two CB's are a good, solid combo for the Championship. Young, quick & good in the air. Colback & Shelvey in the middle, Shelvey won't interest anyone, too much of possible liability & on £80k a week wages, he'll be happy to stay. Definitely need a new right winger with the departures of Sissoko & Townsend for £8m. If Aarons signs a new deal, expect him to challenge for the left wing slot. Up front & has the potential to be a good partnership, would be Armstrong & Mitrovic. Not sure anyone will touch Mitrovic, all we would need to do is send a DVD out of his finishing this season & that would put anyone off. Having said that, he's young & adapting. A season with us in the championship could do him wonders & something might click.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 09 May 2016, 15:51

Literally, everything went against you this weekend, even the Spurs & Arsenal outcome. Even if Sunderland miraculously draw or lose to Everton, Spurs need a point now on Sunday & I don't see Newcastle getting the win they would need & that still might not be enough, if Sunderland win at Watford.

Agree on that line-up, post summer exodus. Not a bad remaining squad, just needs a few good acquisition in key positions, preferably experienced championship players.

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Mon 09 May 2016, 16:56

Anita would definitely be one id look at were I a premier league club. Just something about him.

I'd expect you to come straight back up. You'll be able to pick the best players up, and you'll keep some good ones.

And you're still an attractive proposition to manage. Not to Rafa maybe, but I could still see someone like Moyes, Rodgers, Pearson (I don't see his face fitting however), Martinez etc being interested

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue 10 May 2016, 11:35

John

I think id be looking for 2 new full backs. Aarons should stay and have a season to really prove himself.

Mitrovic is one I think could be very good. He's got the passion. We just need to toughen him up a bit. A season in the championship could help there. And him and Armstrong could provide a good partnership.

Surely theres also some kids coming through the academy. What are the academy coaches getting paid for at the moment...cos they're not producing ANY results!

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Driver Tue 10 May 2016, 11:50

I'm half expecting Townsend too stay, I dont think a year of regular football in the championship will be too much of a deterent.

I think Krul might move on though. Could see someone like Liverpool coming in for him.
Driver
Driver

Back to top Go down

Post by Azzy Tue 10 May 2016, 12:23

John wrote:squad will look like this to me, after the summer exodus

------------------------DARLOW/KRUL------------------------
----ANITA-----LASCELLES--------MBEMBA-----DUMMETT----
---------------------COLBACK----SHELVEY---------------------
----???????---------------------------------------AARONS------
----------------ARMSTRONG---------MITROVIC--------------

Probably then sign two genuine full backs to challenge Anita & Dummett. The two CB's are a good, solid combo for the Championship. Young, quick & good in the air. Colback & Shelvey in the middle, Shelvey won't interest anyone, too much of possible liability & on £80k a week wages, he'll be happy to stay. Definitely need a new right winger with the departures of Sissoko & Townsend for £8m. If Aarons signs a new deal, expect him to challenge for the left wing slot. Up front & has the potential to be a good partnership, would be Armstrong & Mitrovic. Not sure anyone will touch Mitrovic, all we would need to do is send a DVD out of his finishing this season & that would put anyone off. Having said that, he's young & adapting. A season with us in the championship could do him wonders & something might click.
That looks like an incredibly strong side John. I hope you stay up still but if not, you should dominate the Championship with that team.

Azzy

Back to top Go down

Post by newballs Tue 10 May 2016, 17:29

We could yet stay up. Sunderland might just get the one point from their last two games and we might sneak a victory against Spurs.

Then again who am I kidding? Read somewhere that Villa had just lost 11 on the bounce. The fact we couldn't turn them over says it all really. Hopeless away from St James's and too reliant on any home wins we could conjure up.

Any chance of Rafa staying on though when we go down?. He's doing more than a decent job in  terms of motivating what has been a really poor group of players.

newballs

Back to top Go down

Post by Driver Wed 11 May 2016, 10:29

There's a lot of talk that he will still. He's really in love the place apparently
Driver
Driver

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed 11 May 2016, 11:35

Yeah ive heard that Driver that hes been really impressed with the place and the fans.

I don't care what anyone says...its a big club, with fantastic facilities and a huge stadium and some fo the best fans you'll find anywhere!!!
It would be a fantastic project for someone like him. To rebuild the team and get them back into the prem and up the league.

The only issue is Ashley. But if he leaves Rafa to just get on with things and sort his own signings out...it might be ok.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Wed 11 May 2016, 12:01

At least the Falcons stayed up Geordie OK

If you keep the majority of that squad, you should bounce straight back up.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu 12 May 2016, 08:18

Yeah the Falcons just made it.

I don't want to keep half the squad ...keep the good ones and the passionate ones...get rid of the rest.
The likes of Sissoko can get themselves away!

I really hope they push the boat out and keep Rafa and let him just get on with managing the club with no interference.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu 12 May 2016, 08:20

Ps im laughing at all the Boro fans slagging us off....they might actually get a couple of fans in the stadium next season!

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Sun 15 May 2016, 18:42

How many of that shower were simply playing to out themselves in the shop window today...

Janmaat is off to Italy I'm hearing. We'll start seeing who will be following him.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 15 May 2016, 20:07

Strange result, will apportion it to a mixture of Rafa improving the side, some players playing for summer moves & a percentage of Tottenham players not overly interested, given the upcoming Euro's. Six games unbeaten under Rafa, just shows how it was all too late in the day in appointing him.

Typical that Mitrovic finally finds his shooting boots, but then ruins it all with a shocking tackle. Is that a three game ban? Not surprised Wijnaldum scored, if only he could of turned up in the 18 games away from home, then we might of had a chance. Goals at home - 11 / Goals away from home - 0. Good to see Aarons too getting a chance & staking a claim for next season, if we sort his contract out.

As for Rafa, the general feeling is we can keep him now, he's generally moved by the huge support he's receiving, a complete contrast to his time at Madrid, whereby he was hated, even before he managed a single game

Should start discussing the side, the inevitable departures & goings on, in the new thread in the Championship from now on

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Mon 16 May 2016, 10:22

4 game ban John for Mitrovic

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10