The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ponty v Llanelli

+7
pioden gorllewin
Cardiff Dave
JayMaster3000
Stone Motif
glamorganalun
wales606
thebluesmancometh
11 posters

Go down

Ponty v Llanelli Empty Ponty v Llanelli

Post by thebluesmancometh Sat 18 May 2013, 7:13 pm

Anyone got the lineups?

So far I have seen nothing but regional pro players from Llanelli, Phillips, Phillips, Ball, Thomas, Williams alll playing regional rugby this season aren't they?

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Ponty v Llanelli Empty Re: Ponty v Llanelli

Post by wales606 Sat 18 May 2013, 8:02 pm

Pontypridd: Adam Thomas; Owen Williams, Gavin Dacey, Dafydd Lockyer, Matthew Nuthall; Simon Humberstone, Lloyd Williams; Stuart Williams, Huw Dowden, Kieron Jenkins, Craig Locke, Chris Dicomidis (capt), Ed Siggery, Rhys Shellard, Dan Godfrey.
Replacements: Joel Raikes, Dai Flanagan, Gareth Wyatt, Darran Harris, Wayne O'Connor, Cory Hill, Chris Phillips, Scott Roberts.

Llanelli: Dion Jones; Kristian Phillips, Nic Reynolds, Chris Keenan, Dale Ford; Jordan Williams, Gareth Davies; Rhys Thomas, Kirby Myhill, Simon Gardiner, Adam Powell (capt), Jake Ball, Lewis Rawlins, Dan Thomas, Craig Price.
Replacements: Tom Sloane, Craig Hawkins, Duane Eager, Stuart Leach, Justin James, Johnny Lewis, Steffan Hughes, Peter Edwards.

Tuned in a halftime

Ponty 30 - 3 Llanelli

Considering the number of regionally capped players in the Llanelli squad you would think more of the Ponty players would have Blues games - only a few do.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Sat 18 May 2013, 8:05 pm

wales606 wrote:Pontypridd: Adam Thomas; Owen Williams, Gavin Dacey, Dafydd Lockyer, Matthew Nuthall; Simon Humberstone, Lloyd Williams; Stuart Williams, Huw Dowden, Kieron Jenkins, Craig Locke, Chris Dicomidis (capt), Ed Siggery, Rhys Shellard, Dan Godfrey.
Replacements: Joel Raikes, Dai Flanagan, Gareth Wyatt, Darran Harris, Wayne O'Connor, Cory Hill, Chris Phillips, Scott Roberts.

Llanelli: Dion Jones; Kristian Phillips, Nic Reynolds, Chris Keenan, Dale Ford; Jordan Williams, Gareth Davies; Rhys Thomas, Kirby Myhill, Simon Gardiner, Adam Powell (capt), Jake Ball, Lewis Rawlins, Dan Thomas, Craig Price.
Replacements: Tom Sloane, Craig Hawkins, Duane Eager, Stuart Leach, Justin James, Johnny Lewis, Steffan Hughes, Peter Edwards.

Tuned in a halftime

Ponty 30 - 3 Llanelli

Considering the number of regionally capped players in the Llanelli squad you would think more of the Ponty players would have Blues games - only a few do.

Very few do (Flanagan doesn't count)

Ponty are taking the prem to peices by signing and selecting the best players available to them, instead of using the league as a junior warming station! If more teams did that the younger players would benefit from the higher intensity games!!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Sat 18 May 2013, 8:10 pm

Only one team is going to win this game.

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Sat 18 May 2013, 8:20 pm

glamorganalun wrote:Only one team is going to win this game.
Astounding analysis with 50 mins gone and the home side 30 points clear. You should be on Scrum V.
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Sat 18 May 2013, 8:47 pm

Stone Motif wrote:
glamorganalun wrote:Only one team is going to win this game.
Astounding analysis with 50 mins gone and the home side 30 points clear. You should be on Scrum V.

Laugh

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Sat 18 May 2013, 8:53 pm

Some really good tries in this game by both teams, the ball in play time stat will be interesting, very little time wasting we see in higher level games. I wish I had not missed the first half, I will have to catch it on S4C player. Well done both teams, Ponty appeared much stronger up front and have two good wingers.

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by JayMaster3000 Sat 18 May 2013, 9:17 pm

Cracking game. Lots of running rugby, wish I went now.

JayMaster3000

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Sat 18 May 2013, 9:31 pm

I believe this game is a good advert for summer rugby, speed of the game, handling skills, ball in play time tries from backs and forwards and good crowds.

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Sat 18 May 2013, 9:44 pm

wales606 wrote:

Shock, horror and ole to that.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Sat 18 May 2013, 9:53 pm

glamorganalun wrote:I believe this game is a good advert for summer rugby, speed of the game, handling skills, ball in play time tries from backs and forwards and good crowds.

It was a great advert for Cardiff rugby. Hope Richard Holland was watching.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by pioden gorllewin Sun 19 May 2013, 7:53 am

wonder how many of the ponty boys could step up to regional rugby? Dicomidis, Lockyer? know Dafydd Lockyer was offered the chance while back with the Dragons, but went to Neath for the money instead. shame seems a decent player.
pioden gorllewin
pioden gorllewin

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Sun 19 May 2013, 11:34 am

That game was like going back ten years seeing the house of pain rocking like that, for anybody wondering why regional attendance are struggling, they should take a look at yesterdays game, all the fans are still watching their clubs, and with that atmosphere yesterday you can understand why. On a further note, how no regions have taken a chance with the chief yet just astounds me.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Sun 19 May 2013, 2:40 pm

LordDowlais wrote:That game was like going back ten years seeing the house of pain rocking like that, for anybody wondering why regional attendance are struggling, they should take a look at yesterdays game, all the fans are still watching their clubs, and with that atmosphere yesterday you can understand why. On a further note, how no regions have taken a chance with the chief yet just astounds me.
Yeah there wasn't an empty seat in the house Rolling Eyes dunno how the Scarlets survive with all their potential supporters poo-pooing them in favour of Llanelli RFC...
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Sun 19 May 2013, 7:53 pm

LordDowlais wrote:That game was like going back ten years seeing the house of pain rocking like that, for anybody wondering why regional attendance are struggling, they should take a look at yesterdays game, all the fans are still watching their clubs, and with that atmosphere yesterday you can understand why. On a further note, how no regions have taken a chance with the chief yet just astounds me.

Loved it. Cardiff rugby could learn a thing or two or three.
As for the Chief; well maybe he should firstly prove himself in a more competitive environment where the opposition are a tad stronger than what he is used to in the WP. For example, the baby Blues this season used more than 80 players. Most being youngsters and winning wasn't the be all and end all. Interestingly, Gareth Wyatt took the field yesterday for Ponty and he's 36.
LD, you like to chopse on about NWQ players blocking young Welsh players so what's your opinion on Wyatt in this case?

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Sun 19 May 2013, 8:14 pm

pioden gorllewin wrote:wonder how many of the ponty boys could step up to regional rugby? Dicomidis, Lockyer? know Dafydd Lockyer was offered the chance while back with the Dragons, but went to Neath for the money instead. shame seems a decent player.

I suppose some are content with doing what they do in the WP. If that floats their boat then fine and who are we to argue? Cardiff Blues tried Flanagan and Nuthall, but it didn't work out for whatever reason.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by pioden gorllewin Sun 19 May 2013, 8:19 pm

Cardiff Dave wrote:
pioden gorllewin wrote:wonder how many of the ponty boys could step up to regional rugby? Dicomidis, Lockyer? know Dafydd Lockyer was offered the chance while back with the Dragons, but went to Neath for the money instead. shame seems a decent player.

I suppose some are content with doing what they do in the WP. If that floats their boat then fine and who are we to argue? Cardiff Blues tried Flanagan and Nuthall, but it didn't work out for whatever reason.

also noticed dicomidis has represented cyprus at rugby so would now count as NWQ. so probably not good enough to take up a NWQ spot at one of the regions.
pioden gorllewin
pioden gorllewin

Back to top Go down

Post by JayMaster3000 Sun 19 May 2013, 8:27 pm

Cardiff Dave wrote:

As for the Chief; well maybe he should firstly prove himself in a more competitive environment where the opposition are a tad stronger than what he is used to in the WP. For example, the baby Blues this season used more than 80 players. Most being youngsters and winning wasn't the be all and end all. Interestingly, Gareth Wyatt took the field yesterday for Ponty and he's 36.
LD, you like to chopse on about NWQ players blocking young Welsh players so what's your opinion on Wyatt in this case?

Worked out alright for Steve Tandy coaching in the WP.

Saturday's game, in my opinion, is why they need to move WP to the Summer.

JayMaster3000

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 20 May 2013, 8:26 am

I'm sure the chief will get his chance soon enough.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Mon 20 May 2013, 7:54 pm

pioden gorllewin wrote:
Cardiff Dave wrote:

also noticed dicomidis has represented cyprus at rugby so would now count as NWQ. so probably not good enough to take up a NWQ spot at one of the regions.

I just noticed that as well and wiki says he's been capped twice for Cyprus as a no.8 and he's also represented Wales at U19 and U21. Also played full back for Tondu. Now that's what I call a proper utility player. Very Happy

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Mon 20 May 2013, 8:16 pm

JayMaster3000 wrote:
Cardiff Dave wrote:

Worked out alright for Steve Tandy coaching in the WP.

Saturday's game, in my opinion, is why they need to move WP to the Summer.

Except Tandy has been involved with the Os from day one so knows the score inside out about all things down the Liberty. The Os also happen to have a fine team and the best front 5 by a long chalk. Add to that Ryan and Tips plus Biggar who has finally blossomed at last and Tandy's job was at least half done before he started. Compare this to the Chief taking over at one of the others. His dream catcher would have to work miracles.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Mon 20 May 2013, 8:27 pm

Pretty much adds weight to my suspicions of the regions not having a clue how to tap into the resources available to them.

The problem is that most of the time the players and coaches seem to have it fixed in their minds that, seeing as this is technically a development league for regionals (which some of the regions don't bother using anyway), they ought to be playing at a lower intensity. As someone said earlier, high intensity games like this are what players need to adapt earlier on and make the transitions to higher levels smoother. If it was up to me I'd have 'em running each other ragged and knocking seven bells out of each other week in week out.

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Mon 20 May 2013, 8:45 pm

Knowsit17 wrote:Pretty much adds weight to my suspicions of the regions not having a clue how to tap into the resources available to them.
Total nonsense. You think even if the regions were 'clueless' as regards the ability of the players on offer in the Prem, the English and French et al would be? Most of the better ones are academy players anyway. Fair do's to Ponty and all that, if nothing else they've shown they're nobody's bitch, but don't kid yourself that the team they put out on Saturday wouldn't have a prison shaming off any of the Rabo teams, including the bottom two.
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Mon 20 May 2013, 8:49 pm

Knowsit17 wrote:Pretty much adds weight to my suspicions of the regions not having a clue how to tap into the resources available to them.

The problem is that most of the time the players and coaches seem to have it fixed in their minds that, seeing as this is technically a development league for regionals (which some of the regions don't bother using anyway), they ought to be playing at a lower intensity. As someone said earlier, high intensity games like this are what players need to adapt earlier on and make the transitions to higher levels smoother. If it was up to me I'd have 'em running each other ragged and knocking seven bells out of each other week in week out.

Or on the other hand the "regions" do have a clue, but are prevented from doing so?;

"Ospreys slate Welsh Rugby Union over club links
Ospreys boss Andrew Hore has accused the Welsh Rugby Union of not encouraging the region to forge better relationships with local clubs.
He claims to have been "told repeatedly" by the WRU that they should not be involved with "in the community game".
"To me, it's a sad state of affairs because fundamentally we should all be trying to promote the game," said Hore.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/21957344

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Mon 20 May 2013, 9:08 pm

Cardiff Dave wrote:

Or on the other hand the "regions" do have a clue, but are prevented from doing so?;

Ospreys boss Andrew Hore has accused the Welsh Rugby Union of not encouraging the region to forge better relationships with local clubs.
He claims to have been "told repeatedly" by the WRU that they should not be involved with "in the community game".
"To me, it's a sad state of affairs because fundamentally we should all be trying to promote the game," said Hore.

Why the hell do they need encouragement? They're the ones who actually decide who they pick, not the WRU. The regions are the ones who offer contracts and decide how much game time players get. It's their lookout.

On second thought, I'm thinking about not attending my thursday exam, nobody's been encouraging me to go of late.

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Mon 20 May 2013, 9:11 pm

Stone Motif wrote:
Total nonsense. You think even if the regions were 'clueless' as regards the ability of the players on offer in the Prem, the English and French et al would be? Most of the better ones are academy players anyway. Fair do's to Ponty and all that, if nothing else they've shown they're nobody's bitch, but don't kid yourself that the team they put out on Saturday wouldn't have a prison shaming off any of the Rabo teams, including the bottom two.

Twas a pleasant evening when we strolled to a 6-37 victory in a pre season friendly. The atmosphere was hostile and Ponty were up for it as they always are, but class and fitness told in the end and Ponty failed to cross the Cardiff line.

http://www.cardiffblues.com/rugby/match_centre.php?section=overview&fixid=157979

I see some on Ponty.net are calling for a Drags play off game. I'd pay to see that. My money would be on the Drags of course.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Mon 20 May 2013, 9:23 pm

Knowsit17 wrote:
Cardiff Dave wrote:

Why the hell do they need encouragement? They're the ones who actually decide who they pick, not the WRU. The regions are the ones who offer contracts and decide how much game time players get. It's their lookout.

On second thought, I'm thinking about not attending my thursday exam, nobody's been encouraging me to go of late.

Ummm, "told repeatedly" by the WRU that they should not be involved with "in the community game" maybe? Fecked if I know actually. Must be a pretend regional thingy I suppose.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Mon 20 May 2013, 10:02 pm

Cardiff Dave wrote:I see some on Ponty.net are calling for a Drags play off game. I'd pay to see that. My money would be on the Drags of course.
Whole-heartedly missing the point that if only they had the player base, support base, investors, ground, facilities and infrastructure, they might be having a game against us every season.
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Mon 20 May 2013, 10:34 pm

Stone Motif wrote:
Cardiff Dave wrote:I see some on Ponty.net are calling for a Drags play off game. I'd pay to see that. My money would be on the Drags of course.
Whole-heartedly missing the point that if only they had the player base, support base, investors, ground, facilities and infrastructure, they might be having a game against us every season.

I know, I know but the more Ponty keep doing their thing, the more chance that Cardiff can be just Cardiff again instead of pretending.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Coleman Tue 21 May 2013, 9:19 am

In regards to the Chief and why some other region hasn’t snapped him up yet.

http://www.cardiffblues.com/development/u18_coaches.php

He is the Head coach of the Blues U18's who have been very good over the past few years. I'm pretty sure that he will be the Blues coach next time the position is open (Him or Rayer). He's doing a good job at Ponty and a good job with the Blues U18's. I do however find it strange that more Blues U18's don't play for Ponty though, as you'd think he'd be able to influence them and get them on board.

If he does become the next Blues coach down the line, then I can see Ponty being more involved with player development at the Blues, if not then status quo.

Coleman

Back to top Go down

Post by pioden gorllewin Tue 21 May 2013, 9:28 am

I think the game just showed how messed up/disenfranchised rugby is in Wales at the moment.

On one side you had the supporters hoping their players might develop and be promoted to play for the Scarlets whilst the Ponty supporters would be hoping their players would never play at the Blues - perhaps not at any regional team.
pioden gorllewin
pioden gorllewin

Back to top Go down

Post by pioden gorllewin Tue 21 May 2013, 9:29 am

I think the game just showed how messed up/disenfranchised rugby is in Wales at the moment.

On one side you had the supporters hoping their players might develop and be promoted to play for the Scarlets whilst the Ponty supporters would be hoping their players would never play at the Blues - perhaps not at any regional team.
pioden gorllewin
pioden gorllewin

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Tue 21 May 2013, 10:19 am

pioden gorllewin wrote:I think the game just showed how messed up/disenfranchised rugby is in Wales at the moment.

Shows to me that when this ridiculous 'disenfranchised' term gets bandied about what we're really talking is schadenfreude. The Welsh press (i.e. the media arm of Rog Plc) don't help. I see Bowell is harping on about how the Dragons low attendance figures are all down to a 'failure to sell themselves outside Newport' or some such bullshart, the lazy little Tinkywinky.
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down